Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The High Road, Dangerous Paths to Take(see ooc and post there to join)
on: May 05, 2007 04:20
Rodwen smiled and laughed musically, her eyes glittering with mirth. "Ai, very well, and hannon le, mellon nin. Thank you my friend. Norannu, I think between the two of us, we can make a strong warrior out of her, what do you think?," she asked him, looking over at him.

Rochar snorted and pranced to the side, tossing his head and letting out a thunderous call. Rodwen looked up at a hill and saw two figures, alike in all stature. She gasped and took off on Rochar.

"I shall return momentarily, I must go speak with the two," she said. THe fair headed Elven twins greeted her, seeing the company further back upon the road.

"Suliad, mellyn nin, how do you fare? It has been a long while since I saw you last, where are you headed?," she asked Aranor and Arithil. Aranor smirked and stepped forward.

"Well, my lady, we were searching for you after your disappearing act, but it seems we neddn't search far. We are headed back home now. You have quite a group with you, so we wil lleave you to your business," he said slyly. SHe smiled and shook her head, laughnig. Arithil came forward.

"It seems you are going north. May your path be blessed with no misfortunes. If you need help on your way back, you know where to find us," he said softly. Aranor smirked once again.

"Well, I should say so brother. SHe has only lived with us since she was born," he remarked sarcastically. She laughed and said farewell, taking off for the group. She turned to Norannu.

"That was Aranor and Arithil, twin Elves and my closest friends. They have offered to help in any way on the way back by giving us allowed passage into their home, which is a rareity indeed. They will not accompany us, only help on the way back since we shall have many injured with us," she said softly.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2007 06:36
Norannu was grateful for the news of more aid on their quest. then he turned back to Bron. "fear not, young one, for though i do not toubt that you are a great warrior among your people, i believe that in me, you will be outclassed." he said with a faint smile "when you have had as much time to practise as i, there are few to best you in combat. i doubt you could harm me, even if we were to use real blades, which we will not. i practice with my blade only during my personal exercises, or with an opponent who has earned the right to face it" here Bron's face became downcast, and though Norannu could not see it, he seemed to sense a change in her mood. "fear not, young one, for i am sure you will earn that right soon enough. but now i deem we must press on. the day grows long, and many leagues stand between us and our destination. and i fear that whatever time we have grows ever shorter. when we stop to camp for the night, as surely we must ere long, i would be happy to begin your training. but we will train with sticks to begin with, until i have had a chance to test your skill. this way, you could not possibly hurt me in any serious way, nor i you."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2007 09:12
Bron nodded at Norannu, blades would be too dangerous, even if she wanted to. Bron watched as two elves that were friends with Rodwen came and offered their help.

Bron was begining to feel very strange around all these elves.
"Maybe learning elvish will be the best thing, I want to be able to understand all my companions." Bron muttered as she looked around.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2007 09:33
Rodwen heard Bron mutter her words under her breath and laughed. "Ai, there you are right, young Bron. Elvish is good for than simple communication with Elves, it is good for commands, private communication with individuals, and other means that one can think of," she said teasingly, her eyes sparkling. She turned to Norannu and smiled knowingly.

"Now, you will not keep Bron to yourself to teach will you Norannu? I have one or two things I would like to teach her as well," she remarked. Rodwen then switched to Westron, adressing Bron.

"Come, young one, we shall lead with Norannu. I want you to ride the two of us so that we might teach you as we go, and teach you more than the simple Elvish, swordfighting, archery, and things of that sort, I will give you some insight into history and the earth as well," she said softly to Bron.

Rochar snorted and pranced, wanting to move again. Rodwne looked down at Rochar, her face covered in amusement.

"Rochar, do stop. I am tired of your antics, and your cockiness as well. You never used to be this way until we started travelling in groups with other people," she said exasperatedly.

Rochar tossed his massive head and he held himself with an air of dignity, causing Rodwen to laugh more at him.

"Ai, tis worse than trying to negotiate with an orc for your life!," she exclaimed. Rodwen shook her head and sighed, giving up on trying to calm the horse and make him act civil.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 04:35
Norannu laughed gaily at Rodwen's remarks "nay, friend, i do not wish to keep her. there are many things that i could not teach her. my skill is with the blade, and while i have no little skill with the bow, i doubt that the techniques by which i pick my targets would transfer so easilly to young Bron here. even with my hearing, it was many years after my sight was taken from me, ere i could shoot with a bow again. i do not believe i could teach even another of our race to shoot as i do. nay, i shall leave the archery instruction to you, and the History as well. i will keep to training her in the sword. " here he turned to Bron, and spoke to her in the Common Tongue. "if you should wish it, i could teach you something of my knowledge in herb-lore and healing, as well as swordsmanship, for a truly noble warrior must be well-versed in the arts of healing wounds as well as inflicting them. Rodwen and i have agreed that she is to teach you the skill of archery, and a little of the history of this world. but i have a few tales myself, if you would enjoy hearing them."

[Edited on 6/5/2007 by IthilionofMirkwood]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 07:26
Bron smiled. "I love listening to tales, and I think that healing shall come easy to me, for my Grandmother was a very good healer and before she passed away she taught me many things. Though finding herbs for healing is one thing I find hard." Bron said.

She couldn't wait to begin all this learning. She was sure that none of the people who knew her in Gondor would recognize her when she returned.
"They shall think I am a grand hero from the North." Bron whispered to herself.

Then she turned back to Norannu. "When shall I begin?" She asked earnestly.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 02:50
Norannu smiled at Bron's muttered remark. "a great hero you say? well then, i hope we shall not leave them disappointed. as i have said, it will not be long ere we mus stop for the night. the air grows cool, and it must be several hours past noon, as i guess it. we must set up camp, build a fire to warm us and ward off beasts, and set a watch to keep a lookout for orcs. as soon as that is accomplished, i shall begin your training"
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 09:44
Rodwen looked around, then coughed loudly, looknig at her travelling comanions.

"By your leave, we shall stop here for the night. Tis a nice clearing up ahead, and it shall accomidate all of us nicely I think. This way now, do not tarry," she harped, her voice full of mirth and teasing.

She laughed and urged Rochar into a gallop. He reached the clearing, stopping. He snorted and tossed his head, letting out a thunderous cry. She smiled and patted his head, shaknig her head. She dismounted and laid her bedroll down, then gathered wood. By the time her companions came, a nice little fire was built up, smokeless and fire wood piled up.

She had her place set out and was already on guard duty. She jumped down, landing in front of Celebiel and Norannu.

"Nice to see you to arrive. Welcome to my humble home. On the right are the sleeping quarters, to your left the nice toasty fire and cook area. Straight ahead you have your store room and stable for the horses, and then to the north west, on the skirts of the camp, right against the large boulder, you have the practice area," she said teasingly to them, laughing.

She walked away to the fire, sitting besdie it, staring into the flames. Her eyes looked distant, her thoughts anywhere but in the camp. She was thinking of the day her friends disappeared.
Thoroniel and Sirioldad walekd with Rodwen, the group of Elves laughing and talking. Aranor and Arithil had left them nearly a week ago, and the group was nearing the forest of Mirkwood. Orcs jumped out of the wood they were walking through, shooting arrows at the group. She fired and cursed, drawing her sword.

SHe sliced through them, Thoroniel and her brother doing the same. One minute the two were right beside her, the next they were gone. She killed off the last two and looked around, her face drawn and pale.

"Sirioldad, Thoroniel, where are you? Mellyn nin, tolo si. Ai, no!," she cried, seeing the swords and weapons lying on the ground.

Thoroniel sat by the fire, her hands wrapped around a sword beautifully made. It shone with a cold glimmer. The pommel was to the likes of the silver leaves of Telperion. It belonged to Sirioldad.

"Mellyn nin, Im naer, I could not save you. I should have kept my eyes open, forgive me. I will avenger your death, I promise. If you are dead, I shall die slaying your captors," she swore in a whisper.

Tears ran down her cheeks and she choked back a sob. She wiped the tears away, but they came on still. She took in a shuddering breath and closed her eyes, squeezing the tears out of her eyes.

[Edited on 7/5/2007 by Elfalas]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 10:26
(Isn't navaer farewell in Elvish? Do you mean to say Im naer Elfalas? Im Navaer would be I'm farewell and Im naer would be I'm sorry.)

Bron dimounted and patted Gwenneth's back. "You can eat here Gwenneth." Bron said with a smile.

Bron sat down and looked at their surroundings, almost immdiately she saw something was wrong with Rodwen.
When she sat down she held a sword on her lap and she said something in Elvish.

Bron walked over when she saw Rodwen weeping.
"What's wrong Rodwen? You can tell me, I can keep it a secret if you want." Bron said. She looked very worried for her friend.

"Are you crying because you lost someone? I've lost people too, it's very hard. I used to have many friends, but they died in wars and some just vanished. I don't know what happened to them but I always think that it's my fault and that I could have saved them, if I had gone with them." Bron explained.

Bron chuckled. "But what could I have done to help them? I can barely wield a sword. Then I find that it was not my fault, it was inevitable." Bron whispered the last part.

Then Bron looked up. "But I'm sure your situation is much different, I am just a child compared to you. If you wish to tell me I am here to listen." Bron said. Her eyes showed her concern for her new friend.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 09:47
Norannu dismounted Celebiel and left her in a corner of the clearing, and walked over to where Rodwen and Bron were talking. sensing their distress, he was greatly saddened. "it is hard to lose those you love. if either of you two wish to talk, i am a very good listener." here his face brightened somewhat, in an atttempt to cheer his companions "but now, i think, it is time for young Bron here to begin her training." he led Bron over to a wide open space to one side of the clearing. here he stood before her and drew his sword, and planted it in the dirt beside him. It was an unusual piece, not curved like most elven blades, but straight from the point of the blade to the base of the pommel. It had a crossguard more akin to the swords of Men, but made with infinitely more skill. The handle was wrapped in red leather, the same leather of the scabbard, and the pommel was fashioned in the shape of a dragon's head. The dragon's eyes were of mithril, and it bore an exquisitely cut ruby in its teeth. strange signs were writ along the length of the blade.
"this is my sword. the day you have earned the right to face it, your training with me will be complete. but we may have a long way to go before that day comes. go and fetch two sticks, of equal length, about the length of my blade, if you can find them." Bron went off into the woods nearby, and returned shortly after, bearing a pair of tree branche. Norannu took one ant lifted it, testing its weight. satisfied, he stood again opposite Bron, and hefted the branch. "now, since you are the student, i shall allow you the first strike. that is, if you feel up to the task." a smirk crossed his face, but it was not an unkind one, more a look of mischief long-planned
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2007 03:12
Bron smirked as she held her branch. Then she took the first strike and hit his branch. She was glad she did not miss.
She waited for his next blow, begining to get a little nervous, but she knew he would never harm her so she smiled and got ready.

With one strike her branch was thrown from her hand. She gasped as she watched it fly through the air. She chuckled.
"I guess you won that round." Bron said. Her face was a slightly red color.

Bron walked over and picked up the branch. "I'll have your head this time Norannu." Bron said with a smile.
Bron took the first strike again, it was fairly hard strike.
She managed to block the next blow, but wasn't able to move fast enough to stirke.

"This is much harder than it looks." Bron mumbled. Her face was already begining to glisten with sweat.
Then her eyes rested upon Norannu's sword. She sighed, it would be very long before she would be able to fight against Norannu with his real sword.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2007 05:16
Norannu was somewhat surprised that Bron had been able to block his second strike. she had greater skill than he had imagined, but she still had much to learn. she was too tense in her movements, and did not anticipate his moves. he explained this as they battled. "you must always have your mind at least one move in the future. think about what you are doing, but also what you plan to do next, and you will be better able to counter my attacks. also..." here he decided to teach her her first real lesson. his foot suddenly snaked out, and he hooked his ankle behind hers, bringing her to the forest floor with a thud. he drew his branch across her throat, miming a slitting action, then stood over her, hands on hips. "... do not underestimate your opponent. you assumed that because i am honourable, that i would not take every advantage available to me. it was that miscalculation that cost me my sight." he reached down, smiling, and pulled Bron to her feet. "i think that will do for today. you have more skill than you give yourself credit for. i think your training will be much briefer than i had anticipated. but come! it is already growing dark. we shall sit by the fire and eat. have you tasted Lembas before? a wonderous food. rather plain, and yet a single bite can fill the stomach of a grown man for an entire day"
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2007 09:17
Rodwen listened to Norannu and Bron's fight, not bothering to look and watch them. She laughed lightly when Norannu brought Bron to the ground. SHe walked over, a pack of Lembas in her hand. "Here, you can have this Bron to eat. Do not consume too much, it will make you sick possibly. Listen to Norannu's words, he is wise," she said softly. She then turned and walked back to the fire, her eyes reflecting the firelight. HEr red hair gleamed even more, maknig it look nearly on fire. She could still hear the battle they had fought, and was still blaming herself for her friend's disappearances. Tears fell down her cheeks once again and she choked back a sob. She stood and walked away, climbing up into a tall tree away from the fire and camp. It was quiet and dark and she wept quietly, blaming herself over and over again.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2007 02:37
hearing her distress, Norannu went to the tree in which Rodwen was sitting, and climbed clumsilly up to a branch next to hers. here he halted, and reached out to take her hand reassuringly. "fear not, Mellon nin. we will find your companions, and with some fortune they will be unharmed, but even if they are not, we will make those foul creatures who took them pay for what they have done. i made that promise to you when we set out, and i will hold to it, until my last breath if need be. you cannot go on blaming yourself for their plight. noone is to blame. now, come down, and dine with us. i have enough waybread to last for many months, and i will see if i cannot find us something more enticing to eat for this evening." with that he sprang lightly from the tree, and waited at the bottom to see if Rodwen was willing to join him
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2007 04:24
Bron sat down, she watched as Norannu climbed up the tree and spoke to Rodwen in Elvish. Bron tried to listen and pick up a few words, but she couldn't understand.

Bron looked at the small piece of Lembas she had been given.
"It certainly doesn't look like much." Bron mumbled.
Bron popped the whole piece into her mouth, when she swallowed it her eyes widened with surprise. It really did fill her.

Bron smirked. "This waybread is wonderful Norannu." Bron said.
She looked over at Rodwen and hoped she was alright.
"Don't worry Rodwen, I'm sure we'll find them. You've got to hold onto your hope. That's what my mother always told me when things looked bad." Bron said with a slight smile.

Bron sighed, those words had always been reassuring, but after she lost her mother they didn't seem like much anymore.
I'm sure we will be needing much hope before the end of this journey. Bron thought. For once in a very long time those words seemed potent again.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2007 07:07
Rodwen looked at Norannu thankfully and gratefully. She jumped down, landing softly beside him. She walked to the fire, sitting there with her bow. Her face then took on a mischevious, slightly evil look.

"I am going hunting none follow. Hunting is a, pleasure for me so I intened to go alone," she announced to the group. She ran on quickly dissapearing into the forest. SHe returned a few moments later with two deer and two rabbits, dropping them to teh ground.

"Come on now, who shall help me prepare the meal? Tonight we feast like kings in the Halls of Men," she said, laughing.

HEr eyes twinkled and she sat by the fire, carefully skinnig each one. When done, she allowed one of the other Elves to cut them up and prepare them while she washed the blood off with some water.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 10:40
as the evening meal was being prepared, Norannu went and retrieved his sword from where it remained embedded in the ground. he sat by the campfire, and started to clean and sharpen it. as he worked, he began to hum softly to himself. it was a sad melody, long and slow. the others began to take notice of what he was doing, and forgot their other tasks

(does somebody want to ask me about it? i thought it'd be better than if he just randomly started singing)
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2007 03:45
(you mean ask about the song?)

Bron heard Norannu begin to sing something, it was a very sad sounding song, but Bron was curious none the less. After all, she couldn't understand what he saying since he was singing in Elvish.

"Norannu, what song are you singing?" Bron asked. After a moment she thought of something else to ask.
"Do you think that someday you could teach me how to sing that song?" Bron asked excitedly. She couldn't wait until she was saying full sentences and maybe even having conversations with Elves.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2007 04:27
Norannu looked up at bron's words. "it is a composition of mine. i call it 'Gaur En Gondolin', that is 'the wolf of Gondolin' in our tongue. it goes like this:" he rose, and in a high, clear voice, he began to sing. he sang in Quenya, the language of the Elves in days past. here is related, in the Common Tongue, the words that he sang, though few among even the elves about him yet remembered that ancient speech.

"There is a story to be told
Of all those brave and bold
In the Hidden City
Full of beaity full of strength

For long years it remained hidden
None passed the gates unbidden
Til the day a strange one came
With his mother, just the two

The one who started the treachery
For none could forsee
Maeglin son of Eol
Began the end of what was to come

Allowing the The Hidden City to be found
Resulting in chaos abound
He betrayed the king's people
The city was destroyed

Its people fled in fear
None being anywhere near
All fleeing far away
Never to return again

Now we are nearly lost
The history lying in a frost
Few know of what had fallen
Only those whom lived

I sing now not of surrender
For only I wish to remember
Those days of glory, full of light
For now it is gone, beyond reach

We are a rare sight
Even though a still yet fight
One of the Gondolindrim, The Hidden People
Recalls the days of Turgon in Gondolin

The story is oft told the same
Not much is left to tame
For though the city is lost
The people still live on, hidden all the same

We still oppose those of Darkness
Still our blades kep their sharpness
Fighting evil, yet stil hidden
Until the time may come, we are are forgotten in tales"

when he reached the end of ihis song, Norannu bowed his head and seemed for a moment very sad. "a sad tale, that tells of the fall of Gondolin and the treachery of Maeglin. perhaps you know it? although there were few in the world of Men who did, even in the days of Numenor that now rests beneath the Western Sea. i should like to tell it to you sometime, if you will hear me."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2007 06:53
Bron's eyes were wide when he finished the song. A single tear was shed, for though she did not understand his words she could feel the pain in his voice, the sorrow.

"That was amazing Norannu. I am afraid I do not know much about the Fallen City, though I do know very little about it. I would be very happy if someday you could tell me more." Bron said with a smile.

Then Bron sat down. She wished she could make a beautiful song like that someday, one of her own that she could tell to both Men and Elves.
Her most favorite story that she had heard was that of the Noldor that were left to cross the Helcaraxë, that story often made her cry.

But she did not know much about it, she had heard only some of the story from a wandering Elf that had visited her city.
"Norannu, I wish to make a composition myself. I will make it first in Westron, then you shall teach me how to say it in Elvish, for it is about your people." Bron said.

She smiled as she began to form words in her head. She was sure her song would not be as long, she had not much patient with writing or songmaking, but she would make sure it left an impact on whoever heard it.

Then she came back from her thoughts to the task at hand.
"Rodwen, shall we set out again tomorrow?" Bron asked.
Then she turned to the other elf maiden, she had not really spoken with her yet.
"Farynel, I'm afraid I have not yet really spoken with you. How are you faring?" Bron asked to begin the conversation.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2007 09:03
Rodwen smiled and listened to Norannu sing the song. It made her think of the city that was lost long ago and she shed a tear, thinking of her family. Then it dawned on her, she had heard that song once before, long ago when Gondolin had been recently destroyed. SHe stood and walked to Norannu, sitting by him.

"Norannu, how long ago did you write this? I have heard it once before, from a distance, and not long after these events had taken place. Please, you must tell me, for I heard someone sing it, someone dear that I lost. Did you teach it to others? Twas a maid and young man I speak of, though only the male sang it. Two friend they were of mine, very close friends, for we grew up together in Gondolin, close as siblnigs," she explained.

She turned to Bron, only now her question registering in her mind.

"Of course Bron, we shall set out at first light tomorrow. Be ready, I will need a sharp pair of eyes and a ready mind if I am to lead you in scouting and tracking in the morn, and throughout the day," she said, winking.

Rodwen then turned and walekd to the far side of the fire, sitting alone on a fallen branch. Her head dropped into her hands, rubbing wearily at her eyes. SHe sighed and looked up, seeing Rochar lying on the ground.

She shooked her head, then got up adn walekd over to her blanket, lying on it. She stared at the fire, her eyes reflecting the flames that danced in the night air.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 05:28
Norannu walked over and crouched by Rodwen's blanket. "you may well have heard the melody not long after the City fell. for i wrote it in the days of our flight from that place. i did not teach it to anyone although, when i think on it, there was a young Elf who in those days befriended me, and helped me adjust to my blindness. what was the name of the Elf from whom you heard it sung first? i shall see if it reminds me of him. i recall no Elf-maiden however. we may never have met face-to-face."
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 06:21
"The name of the Elf was Gaurhir, and he was my husband of only three summers. The Elf maiden I mentioned was myself, for when he was lost, Ilost myself as well," she said. Her eyes were moist and she recalled the day he was lost. Her memeory was not a pleasant one either. She shook it off and turned to face him, waiting to see if it was whom he knew. Rochar could sense Rodwen's unease and came to her side, standing by her for comfort as well as support. She patted him but sent him on, getting the point across that she was alright.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 09:18
Norannu's face became suddenly grave. "aye, i know the name. he was a great warrior. we served together for a time in defense of the City walls. for the most part, it was a simple duty, for there were no enemies to assail us, yet Turgon bade us keep ready at all times for an attack. we are fortunate that he dod, or the ruin of Giongolin would have been all the swifter. it was Gaurhir who saved my life that day. were it not for him, the Orc who took ny sight would have surely ended my life as well. i owe him a great debt. yet you say he was lost? i cannot fathom how such a thing could happen to one so youthful and strong as him. tell me, how did he fall? for if it was the work of the servants of the Great Enemy, then my business with them will be all the more bitter."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 09:37
Bron listened to all that was said in silence. She liked her friends but she wanted to get to know the whole party, so she decided to be friendly to Farynel.
"Do you have any family in Lorien? I left a brother in Gondor, he is very stubborn and wouldn't leave, even if there is nothing there for us anymore. He is a very strong warrior though, he hoped to become one of the Citadel Guards. He says it's an important title." Bron said. She felt sad when she spoke about her brother, because she missed him so much.

Then she chuckled. "Ah, but he would so often make me laugh. He said that my laughter was so sweet that he would rather me laugh all the time then be so serious. But how can one be happy when they lose everyone they love around them?" Bron said. She looked up at Farynel with a questioning look, then she looked down at her hands.

"But I suppose it's ridiculous to ask, I can't bring any of them back." Bron whispered sadly. She refused to cry, but a few tears escaped.
Then she looked up at Farynel again. "Has life been good to you Farynel? I'm sure it has, elves must have wonderful lives. Never having to die and being able to heal yourselves even if the wounds seem dire. What lucky people you are." Bron said. A hint of jealously was in her voice.

She had lost many people because they were too wounded to be healed or left without a trace. It hurt her to think about it.

(I'm going to wait for Dinenlasse to post before I post again cause I don't want to leave her out.)
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 05:23
(Sorry it has taken me so long to post...)

Färynel blinked quickly for she had been lost in thought. "I apologize, Bron. My thoughts have been wandering throughout the entirety of this journey." She sighed heavily, her finger tracing the faint scar that marked her brow. Then, she began her story, knowing full well that it was the first time she had ever revealed it to anyone. "Some might have had delightful lives, but my own has not. You see, I was born in Lorien, but my parents were killed in battle when I was young. And I was found by a formidable archer among Thranduil's ranks, Threliach. He raised me as his own, but when I went off on my own, I saw things that hardened my heart, even if I remain good-natured. But I do know the layabout of the Greenwood better than most. I could show you secrets that not even Thranduil knows."

She laughed softly with no real mirth in it. "Companions have fallen in battle; I fought in many. I have stared death in the face many a time, but I doubt my own experiences have amounted to those others have seen. But what about you Bron? Mayhaps you have seen less."

Brethil lifted his head from grazing and turned it in the direction of the orcs. His ears swiveled to and fro, and Färynel stood, her hand inching towards her bow. "I shall be back," she said quietly, stealing off into the forest.

She jumped into a tree and surveyed the scenery around her. Not ten feet in front of the elf were the enemy, camping out. Färynel remained there, wanting to attack but waiting to see what would happen.

[Edited on 5/14/2007 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 05:55
Norannu heard Farynel move away from the group, and decided to follow her. making sure he still had his sword, he crept along behind her, and ssprang lightly up into the tree to join her. he heard the orcs speaking to eachother in their low, guttural tongue. he turned to Farynel and whispered. "how many do you see? i count at least four, but many more may be silent."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 07:35
Bron was about to explain what had happened to her family and friends when Farynel suddenly left, saying she would be back. She sat quietly, then watched as Norannu also left.

Now Bron was curious. Bron stood, she made sure she had her sword then she walked over to follow them on the ground.
She stayed hidden in the bushes and then saw an orc sneaking around, she did not notice the orc camp.

When it got too close Bron stabbed it, still staying hidden, but the orcs heard the dead orc's cry and raced over. Bron was not prepared.

Bron stood and began to fight them off, but they were obviously winning.
Before she knew it, Bron was surrounded by orcs, she would spin and turn, and try to fight them off, but then she was hit over her head.

Bron felt her head swim, but she refused to faint. She turned to kill another, but then a blade bit into her shoulder, and another cut a long gash across her forehead.

Bron collasped, unconscious. In mere moments the beasts would be ripping her limb from limb and fighting with who would get to eat which body part.
Bron knew there was no hope.

(okay, well since she is the most inexperiance, I thought she;d be the one to rouse the orcs, so you guys are gonna have to save her and heal her)

[Edited on 15/5/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 09:13
Rodwen jumped up, hearing orcs. "Ai, by Morgoth's creatures, I thought I would not fight them yet. Oh, no, where is Bron?!," she said aloud, her voice filled with worry and panic. She ran out the where the calls came from.

"Ai, I curse the day you came into being, spawn of Melkor, but I know you have met you end here," she swore, jumping down from a limb. She saw Bron, lying on the ground, unconscious. She cursed again and whipped around, her sword taking two orcs at once.

She then turned and skewered another with her sword. She fought, standing over Bron protectively. Her sword glinted and flashed in the moonlight. She was fierce, now in battle mode, yet she still managed to keep some mirth in her eyes as she fought.

"Ai, no, I think not orch. Terribly sorry, but not today! She is under my care and as long as I draw breath, you shal have her not, nor my friends, so get gone!," she said, her eyes flashing with a mix of hate and mirth.

She smiled and whipped around, hearing an orc trying to sneak up on her. He fell dead before he knew what had happened. She picked Bron up and carried her off to the camp, sitting her down by the fire.

"there now, easy. Ai, Bron, next time, let us scout out the surroundings, please. Tis bad enough you went out and a warg could have gotten you, but those orcs were ready to rip you to shreds. I refuse to lose another friend on this journey, lest of all one so young, who has barely gotten to experience the world," she said soflty, sponging the wounds with water.

She grabbed some herbs and placed them in the wounds, then wrapped them up. She was not sure if they were poisoned, but she bet they were, so she had placed some anitdote in them as well.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 09:55
Bron woke slightly, her eyes barely opened. She felt much pain when she woke, it seemed to be only slightly muted.
"I was just trying to follow Norannu and Farynel. I wanted to see if I could help." Bron said softly.

She cringed when a burst of pain came from her shoulder. The gash on her forehead stung. Tears formed in her eyes and rolled down her cheeks, but she didn't sob or weep loudly.
"I didn't see the others Rodwen, I thought I was being brave when I slew the orc, but I was just being an idiot." Bron said, she sounded defeated.

"Make sure Norannu and Farynel are alright, I think they were near the area of the orc camp. I want you to find them." Bron said. Then she felt another shockwave of pain and fell back into unconsciousness.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2007 05:35
When he heard the sounds of fighting below, Norannu cursed. He had hoped not to attract the orc's attention so soon, until a battle plan could be formed. But that could not be helped now. With a cry he leapt from the tree, drawing his sword. He landed feet first on what he hoped was an orc, and immediately began to lay about him with his sword.

He heard Rodwen and Farynel at his side, fighting the orcs, and killing many. But he knew that they would soon be overwhelmed. There were far too many of the beasts for them to handle.

"We must leave! Now! You two run for the camp. Get the horses, and as many provisions as you can carry. And by the Valar, where is Bron!? I will hold these scum as long as I may, but I beg you to hurry!"

Sensing indecision in his companions, his voice took on a note of urgency. "Now!!! We cannot survive much longer, but on horseback we have a chance of outrunning them!".

After a moment he heard the two maidens break off and run back towards the camp. He breathed a sigh of relief and returned to the fray. He leapt forward and drove his blade into the chest of an orc in front of him, then pulled it free, spinning and using his momentum to decapitate another. Suddenly he heard a blade rushing towards him. He brought his blade up just in time to deflect the strike, and butted the creature who had delivered it in the face before stamping on its neck. There was a sickening crunch and the creature died with an oddly satisfying choking sound. Suddenly he found that he was no longer under attack, though he could hear the foul creatures snarling mere feet away.

"What is this? Losing your nerve already?" he cried tauntingly, feeling a measure of his strength return. "What would your master say, if only he could see you now? Cowed by a mere cripple! Come then! Your kind tried once to slay me, and failed. Any among you with the heart to try again, step forward. All together or singly, I care not. I shall slay any who stand against me!"

His tone belied the fear in his heart. His limbs were heavy, and his breath came in short gasps. He was sure the orcs knew this. Why did they not attack? They could rush him at once, and he would surely fall beneath their blades and fangs. He could only hope that his companions would return soon.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Amended for punctuation, capitals and paragraphs

[Edited on 16/5/2007 by BerethEdhellen]
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2007 03:06
Rodwen had ran back to the camp, mounting Rochar in mid stride. She then headed back for Norannu, grabbing ahold of him. She pulled him up onto her horse and Rochar took off, his heavy hooves pommeling the earth beneath him. They got back to camp and she allowed Norannu to get down. She put his hand on Celebiel's flanks.

"Here, mount her. We are going to fight on horseback to get an advantage over the orcs. I am sorry I picked you up liek that, but I could not leave a fridn like that who was in need, tis not in my nature to do such things," she explained quickly.

She mounted Rochar again and spun around on him, looknig at the camp. There was no way they could leave now, they would be trailed by the orcs the whole way north. She groaned and looked around.

"Everyone able mount your horse and follow us, we are riding for advantages now in the little fight we have on hand. Quickly now, we need to dispell these usless creatures," she said urgently.

She rode off on Rochar, the great black horse shivering with excitenment. She sliced into one orc, then sliced another. Rochar tensed and she gripped tightly ,knowing full well what was coming from him. He stood on his hind legs, hooves pommeling the head of an orc. He came back down, furhtering the crushing of its skull. She murmured a thanks and continued fighting off the creatures.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2007 10:17
Bron opened her eyes, her mind was still in a haze, but the pain had lessened. Then she heard Rodwen telling everyone to get on their horses and ride out. Bron was not capable of getting on without help.

"Rodwen..." Bron moaned, but she could hear she had already ridden away.
Bron laid quietly, she wondered what was going to happen now?

Then she looked up and saw Farynel was still getting her things. Bron sat up slowly. "Farynel, please help me." Bron said. She watched as the elf approached and helped her up, then she aided Bron in mounting her horse.

"Thank you, I thought you might leave me behind." Bron said, she smiled a little.

(Maybe Rodwen will think she has left Bron behind, but can't go back?)
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2007 05:43
Norannu was a little surprised to find himself suddenly swept off his feet, but he soon collected his thoughts when he was set down back at the camp. He mounted Celebiel and drew his sword, riding up close to Bron. He was angry with her for simply attacking blindly, but more so with hiimself. He knew he ought to have kept a closer watch over her, and his anger showed in his voice.

"You will stay close to me. you are in no condition to fight on your own right now. with a little luck we will last through this night." With that, he rode across the camp and swung his sword downwards, killing the first of the goblins who were by now beginning to swarm into the camp.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2007 06:23
Bron felt intimidated by Norannu now. She knew she had made the mistake and was sorry, but that obviously wasn't good enough.

Bron endured his harsh tone with a straight face, but felt like she wanted to cry. She hadn't know there was more than one orc, but she shouldn't have done it anyway, she knew it.

Bron swung her sword with her left arm, since her right shoulder had been stabbed. She stabbed an orc and swung to kill another. She began to feel very warm and her head swam, but she kept her focus.

Bron swung at another orc, but hit his armored head and her sword bounced back, she didn't have anymore strength to fight. Bron grunted when she felt her body ache, but she didn't give in.

The orc she had tried to kill smiled at her, ready to kill her, but then Gwenneth rose on her hind legs and struck the orc down.
Bron patted Gwenneth's neck. "Thanks Gwen." She whispered.

Then she realized Norannu had moed farther from her and quickly raced over to catch up.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email