Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
Post Any Teen LotR fans?
on: October 13, 2008 09:22
Hi fellow Ringers, I am a teenager looking to see if there are any die-hard, passionate teenage LotR fans who would like to discuss the books and/or movies with me!! Just so you know my favorite book characters are Eowyn (she is AMAZING) and Faramir, and in the movies my faves are Aragorn, Arwen, Eowyn and Faramir - yeah and Frodo and Sam. I also have the soundtracks. Those are amazing. I like every single song (I cry during The Grey Havens though) and thought the solo tracks, like Arwen's Song sung by Liv Tyler and anything done by an actor and Into the West and all those were just astoundingly beautiful and mesmerizing. LotR is SO AMAZINGLY PERFECT!! So anyway, would any other teens like to talk LotR with me? I want to see if there are more high school LotR fans like me!! Thanks in advance!!
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Any Teen LotR fans?
on: October 13, 2008 05:21
I'm still in middle school, but I'm a huge LotR fan. I'd love to discuss it with you.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 14, 2008 07:10
i'm 16. i first saw FOTR when i was, oh, 13 or 14. i was in love with it ever since. i've read the book several times and seen the movies millions. i've learned some elvish and play on the piano some of the songs, i love to listen to soundtracks.

so what do you wanna discuss?
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2008 01:55
Ooh, cool! I'd discuss anything. Sountracks are great... movies & books too..who are your faves?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 14, 2008 04:35
Viggo! :love: um, :blush: Aragorn would be my favorite character, both books and movies, and then for the books, Glorfindel. i think he is just awsome! i mean, to stand against the 9? by yourself? whew!

i also admire Sam's loyalty and his character.
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2008 10:33
Sam and Frodo are my favorites, in the books and the movies. I love how they are so loyal to each other (except the whole Gollum-tricks-Frodo-into-leaving-Sam thing in the RotK movie...I wasn't crazy about that part). I also like Eowyn. I admire her character.
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2008 01:07
Well for me, I also like Eowyn because of her character. She's my favorite book character (although not in the movies; she probably would have been if a. they hadn't done Aragorn so awesomely and b. they had done all of her best scenes, which they cut out...grr...) My absolute favorite book scene was The Houses of Healing. I thought that was soo adorable, but I wish they hadn't cut it down so much in the movie!!! David and Miranda could have totally pulled it off and made it believable (AND adorable because they are an amazingly cute couple!). It is also a necessary part in telling how Eowyn was healed. Am I the only one whose heart was melted by how sad and left behind and harassed Eowyn was and just loved to see her genuinely healed by Faramir - and she also fell in love? HOW CUTE!!! Geez I wish that would happen to ME!! lol. I wonder why they didn't do it in the movie - I think they could have and should have cut down on an Aragorn/Arwen scene if they had just done that.

As far as the soundtracks go, I love how the themes for each "country" or culture are so unique yet they all fit each culture so well. For example, in Rohan you hear the music and you're like "Of course that's Rohan, it's just got that sound", do you know what I mean? The solos the actors did were unbelievable. You're like, "Wait a minute you're an actor and you can sing like this?!?" Also they really got the wonder and mysterious aspect of Lothlorien and Rivendell and places like that covered without it sounding cheesy and made up. Also, how could I not comment on CONCERNING HOBBITS?!? That music suits the cute lil Hobbits themselves!! Oh man!! How adorable!!

I think all of the actors were perfectly cast also. I would not have changed a thing really, except that little Houses of Healing thing...
isildurn_tinuviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2008 01:33
Oh, I very much agree about the soundtracks! The songs fit so well. Each one seems to represent the soul of the country... if you know what I mean. I'm a huge soundtrack fan period. I too cry during the Grey Havens.:cry:

My favorite character, well characters, has to be Boromir:love:, Faramir, Aragorn, Haldir:love:, and... maybe Eomer.

I think the movies were a very good representative of the books. They left out the Scouring of the Shire which made me happy. Then they made the extended additions... which i still don't have, but am working on... and that made up for a lot of the missing scenes. I think they were great!:heart:
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 15, 2008 05:36
i have the extended editions. and they do include the houses of healing in there, but i still think justice wasnt done to that part. i mean, they didnt explain anything, nuttin bout Aragorn's healing or why she was hurt (though one might assume she got bushwhacked from the Witch King), but the part of Eowyn and Faramir was done better. i'm not an Eowyn fan, but i think they coulda done better there...

ya, scouring of the shire and (thanks goodness) tom bombadil! i nvr liked that part for some reason. bored me i guess..:rolleyes:

ah yes the soundtracks. i love anything Elvish. Puts me in an elvish spell...
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2008 10:35
I am ALSO glad they left out the Scouring of the Shire!! Grr that part annoyed me!! I never listen to the Grey Havens. I cry WAY too much during that song. Me & one of my friends both agree that LotR really doesn't have that happy of an ending...this may sound lame, but I just wish that all of them could have lived in Gondor with Aragorn/Arwen and their kids could have grown up together and carried on the legacy of the Fellowship!! Hehe, yeah, I'm a dreamer!!! That's why fanfiction is a GOOD THING!!!

Evenstar 1234, I didn't like Tom Bombadil either. I thought he was way too silly. Just didn't like it.
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2008 02:29
I didn't like the Scouring of the Shire either. I think it kind of made more of an impact to have the hobbits come home and nobody had any idea what they had done.
The Grey Havens/ Into the West make me cry too. I guess I can understand why going to the West is a good thing, but it's just really sad!
I like the song May It Be, too. When the credits were playing for FotR I just sat there and listened. It really does kind of put a spell on you...
I actually wanted to see how they would do Tom Bombadil in the movies but it's a good thing they didn't put him in. He didn't exactly add anything to the plot.
One thing that was better about the movies than the books was that they actually put Rosie in at the beginning. I thought it was weird how she just "showed up" in the RotK book.
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2008 02:41
I LOVED MAY IT BE, TOO!! I also just sat there spellbound. Aniron, also done by Enya, was another one that I just listened to, enchanted. Gollum's Song was intriguing in a weird way. Emiliana Torrini actually makes a pretty good "singing Gollum". Into the West was absolutely beautiful. I listen to it at night to relax and when I'm writing to get inspiration. The Edge of Night gives you a weird, strictly LotR feeling. He he. It's so strange how some of those songs do that. Arwen's Song spellbound me. It actually sent shivers up my spine. I know that the song Miranda did in TTT was supposed to be a sad dirge/ funeral thing, but I also thought that it was beautiful. And of course who can forget Viggo? He's got a great voice too!!

The Scouring of the shire was pointless to me - and kinda sad. I'm glad in the movies that Saruman died when he did, it actually made more sense to me. Tom Bombadil would have been interesting in the movies, but I can't think of any actor right away who I think would make a great Tom Bombadil. To me all of the actors were perfectly cast, though. They embody their characters so well. And I just love Miranda's accent as Eowyn. What girl doesn't want an Eowyn voice? It's so pretty LOL. And she and Daisy are a cutie couple!! OMG I can't get over how cute the LotR couples are!! He he
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2008 02:47
What are your favorite extended scenes in LotR? Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 16, 2008 03:20
I LOVED MAY IT BE, TOO!! I also just sat there spellbound. Aniron, also done by Enya, was another one that I just listened to, enchanted. Gollum's Song was intriguing in a weird way. Emiliana Torrini actually makes a pretty good "singing Gollum". Into the West was absolutely beautiful. I listen to it at night to relax and when I'm writing to get inspiration. The Edge of Night gives you a weird, strictly LotR feeling. He he. It's so strange how some of those songs do that. Arwen's Song spellbound me. It actually sent shivers up my spine. I know that the song Miranda did in TTT was supposed to be a sad dirge/ funeral thing, but I also thought that it was beautiful. And of course who can forget Viggo? He's got a great voice too!!

ditto...

favorite EE scenes....:dizzy: o goodness! well, i really liked how they put more background information on Aragorn. made you understand exactly what he was goin thru and what was goin on...i missed that in the originals.

also, i liked how they put more into Faramir/Eowyn meeting and falling in love thing. Even though i'm just not a huge eowyn fan....

there are a few i thought they coulda left out, but for the most part i liked them.
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2008 07:37
My favorite scene in the extended editions is the "Elvish Rope" scene in TTT. I liked the Eowyn/Faramir stuff too.
I feel bad for the people that have only seen the original movies because it seems like they missed all the important parts...just a thought...
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2008 10:15
Hi I am 16 and I am a huge fan.

oh got to go, school work.

ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2008 01:31
That is AWESOME Eladan!! Come & join our obsessive rant!!! LOL
I personally like The Captain and the White Lady, Eowyn's Dream, that scene with Saruman/Gandalf in RotK, when Aragorn is leaving Rivendell and is confronted by Arwen, The Mouth of Sauron, Theodred's Funeral, Eowyn's stew (I know that's not what it's really called but that is what I call it!) etc. Actually if you don't watch the movies extended you miss out on too much!!! I NEVER watch the movies theatrical anymore!!!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 20, 2008 04:33
well, hello Eladan. nice to see you out of the pillow room...

ya, we dont even own the originals cuz we have the EE and we wouldnt watch 'em.

ya you do miss out, but if you have read the book it would be ok cuz you would know the whole story anyways...
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2008 06:04
Welcome, Eladan.

The extended editions are so much better than the originals.

I think it's useful to have read the books when you watch the movies because it helps you keep all the confusing characters and events straight. Either that or it confuses you even more...
Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2008 08:57
I'm 18.I've been into LotR since I was about 12 or 13,though.At the moment I'm in the middle of reading FotR.Again.
I love the EE's,the more extra scenes the better I say.I still have the theatrical editions as well.
I dont remember ever being confused by the movies,even though I saw them long before I read the books.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2008 08:22
I'm a teen! XD I'm sixteen, and I actually got into LotR in eighth grade when Mom bought me The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. So I was about fourteen, maybe thirteen, I can't remember, it's too lnog ago!! Xo lolz I watched the movies in sixth grade but briefly, I only saw a few scenes on tv before I went outside to play spotlight that summer. :rolleyes: But when I watched them in eighth grade, I paid close attention, and completely and hopelessly fell in love, and obsession. XD

In Health in ninth grade we watched an hour and a half of FotR EE. (classes are on block schedule, four classes a day, hour and a half each) We were celebrating the end of finals with a party. XD

[Edited on 22/10/2008 by Elfalas]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2008 10:25
Also a teenage LotR geek, and proud of it.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 22, 2008 10:42
When i first saw LOTR, i think i was 10-11...and then i only saw FOTR and TTT cuz we had them on video and ROTK hadnt even come out yet. I saw ROTK in theatres.

then later, my brother "figured out" that LOTR was based off a book, and so we got it and read it, then a little while later we got and read the Hobbit.

and of course, like 2 years ago my brother bought the EE..

Hello, ElfmaidenofLorien,Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell, and Elfalas! :wave:
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2008 05:40
Hi, Elfmaiden, Rainyaviel, and Elfalas!

My mom read my sister and I The Hobbit when I was about five, and I read it again in fifth grade. I tried to read LotR about a year ago, decided it was boring, and gave up.
This summer my mom borrowed the movies from my uncle and I fell in love with them. Since then I have read the books (which I realized weren't boring after all! ) and right now I am working on The Silmarillion.

I am trying to convince my parents to buy the movies, unsucessfully so far.

Elfalas, you are so lucky that you got to watch LotR at school. Everyone at my school either thinks it is boring or pathetic. They are seriously missing out...
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2008 09:02
XD i know, it was so funny. my friend angie and i sat in the front of the class, kind of providing a commentary through the whole part we watched. XD we were not very well liked that day in class...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 23, 2008 10:26
heehee! thats funny! i like to inform others on the "behind the scene" stuff, but when I'm watchin it, there must be ABSOLUTE silence.

i can't read the Sil. i've tried to, but i just can't get into it.

ya, West, you need to save up your money and get the EE! it'll totaly be worth it.
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2008 10:56
Awesome, guys!! I don't see why so many people consider LotR something for geeks - all of my friends who like it are perfectly nice, kind, insightful and attractive people! OMG! It makes me so frustrated, but then glad that I have an obsession. People without obsessions I find to be boring. I first saw LotR when I was in fifth grade and about ten and a half years old so that was...hmm...4 years ago already! Wow!
Some of my friends have an elective course at their high school that is all LotR...luckies!!! I love anything LotR except LotR bashers...I even joined a group on Facebook called "Aragorn looks AMAZING while walking through doors". YES, I am obsessed and proud of it!!

My eleven-year-old sister is also a really big LotR fan and has mad seamstress skills so she is making me an Arwen costume for Halloween this year...it's her purple dream gown, and it looks GORGEOUS!! Unfortunately for me I don't have Liv's looks, but with some makeup and tweaking I'm sure I can get close...

I am also into behind the scenes...Miranda's armor costume weighed 22 POUNDS! Lord help us! (and her specifically) I also like reading about what the actors say about their characters.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 23, 2008 11:15
Ya...i've always wanted to make Arwen's Red and dark blue dress for a halloween party...but i aint been to one, and i'm too old for trick or treat! lol
Nerissa
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2008 09:30
Hey there! I'm a teenage LotR lover, too. Your costme sounds wonderful, ChefArwen94!
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2008 06:47
Hello Nerissa.

It's really cool that you're getting an LotR costume, ChefArwen.
Unfortunately no one in my family has sewing skills, and my parents are kind of anti-halloween so we probably won't get to do it this year...

I think it's so much fun to have an obsession. All my friends think I'm crazy.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 25, 2008 01:10
ditto.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 25, 2008 06:58
Flying through I know I am not a teen but I just wanted to say it makes my heart glad to see so many teens that are Tolkien fans. Hey I am really older and people still think I am strange because of my love of all things Tolkien. But hooray for all of you.
BlueEyedPheonix
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2008 02:15
I've been reading Lord of the Rings repeatedly since i was 14...now at 18 i still love it.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 26, 2008 02:31
I'm glad too (although im a teen! ), it means LOTR lives on!

hello, BlueEyedPheonix! :wave: nice to see you!
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2008 09:58
I am 15 years old.

I have to agree with an earlier post that the extended editions of the movies are really fantastic. There is a ton of content in them and its really good for a lazy Sunday.

I have also just read The Fellowship of the Ring for the first time and am going to read the Two Towers after I finish the new inheritance book, Brisingr.

[Edited on 26/10/2008 by Passepartout]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email