Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Battle for Ithilien
on: December 02, 2008 04:13
Tenuvian fought furiously. A burning rage grew within him as he clashed with the orcs. They had to die quickly, so fewer of his own men would have to be buried after this fight. Too many had perished already in this drawn out war.

He saw one of his rangers fall, caught under an orc's brutish weapon, and it pushed him over the edge. He swung fiercely and took its head clean off, hacking through several more orcs afterwards, using sheer rage to cleave into them.

As the last orc near him fell, Tenuvian saw the battle was winding down, and he found himself gasping and out of breath from his exertion. He began to walk down the line to see how his men had fared. As he walked he heard a gurgle from the ground, and saw a large orc there, still alive despite his wounds. A fire grew in his eyes and with a yell he brought his heavy boot down on the orc's face, crushing it into the ground. He looked up and noticed two of his rangers eyeing him with unease. He pulled his foot up and wiped it off on the grass, realizing the brutality he had just exerted.

He looked around for the elf, but noticed she was gone. He walked the length of the ambush and didn't find her, alive or dead. Tenuvian wasn't sure where she was, but they still had to get marching again. She would have to find her own way for now.

"Form up and move out!" he shouted, and the rangers fell in line behind him. The dead and wounded would have to be carried to the next campsite.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2008 06:55
Aerdaneth had a mission now, one she had never thought she would have. To return a dead man, but more than that...a dead friend, a dead brother, perhaps a dead father, to his people.

The orcs had been alerted to her presence, and so she moved quickly. Fueled by adrenaline, she flung the Ranger's body up across the dead Haradrim's horse. The gelding danced uneasily, snorting. There was more noise of the orcs crashing nearer. Aerdaneth swung easily aboard the nervous beast and dug her heals into his sides.

The beast plunged through the woods, just as the orcs unleashed a flurry of arrows after her. Riding close to the beast's neck, and clutching the dead ranger to her, she rode through the forest toward safety--and toward the rangers.

For just over two hours she rode, driving the tired bay horse on through the woods. She had long ago left the orcs behind, yet still she pushed the gelding beneath her to greater speed. He was a fast, thin little horse, built for speed. Still, he was timid and nervous as any pent up animal could be.

Soon the sounds of battle began to echo through the woods. She was still a little ways off. She glanced down at her bleeding thigh, wincing slightly. She would have to deal with that later...

Just as Aerdaneth reached the edge of the battle, she pulled the heaving gelding to a halt. The creature shuddered as she slid from its back. She rubbed its neck gently.

"Good fellow, easy, now. You've done well."

It was then that she heard the sound of a group of orcs once again crashing toward her. She sighed heavily.

Every muscle in Aerdaneth's lithe little body stiffened. Her eyes were locked onto the the thorny bushes from which the noise came. Her mind was whirling, but she quickly realized the noise was harsh and reckless.

Orcs. Fleeing.

A group of four or five orcs crashed through the thorns, hardly noticing the prickly branches that tore at their skin. Little trickles of black blood ran across their forearms. When their wide, yellow eyes fell upon Aerdaneth and the fallen ranger, they froze.

They were caught completely by surprise.

As was Aerdaneth when a few well aimed arrows came from behind them and dropped them all dead in a matter of seconds. Their gargling death snarls rolled up into the air, and Aerdaneth stood.

She peered into the bushes, her hand resting lightly on the sword hilt on her hip. The ranger's body lay still slung over the gelding's back.

"Speak, stranger, I know you are here. I assume you are friend, for you are foe to the orcs, as am I. Come here, into the clearing, and let me have a look at you. But be aware, if you mean harm to me, be prepared to meet a glittering blade and no extended hand of welcome."

[Edited on 4/12/2008 by Adara_Cochava]

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 06:46
((OOC- great job on the edit, Adara! ))

After hearing the mysterious woman's challenge, Eowilindë stepped boldly into the clearing. Poised with bow and arrow, she felt sure she would be able to take down the opposer first if she dared try.

Eowilindë stood up straight and tall, and the elven air of authority and sureness was around her. Her eyes glanced over the dark-skinned woman with black hair, but then rested on the dead man who had been known as Galdor.

"He is dead then." Eowilindë said rather matter-of-factly. She then turned her eyes back to the woman. "You are a friend, then, to save a man's body from the vices of orcs? Pray tell me, why did you do this?"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 12:12
((OOC: Thanks!))

Aerdaneth's dark, glittering eyes flew over the she-elf and her confident poise. A flash of surprise ran through her at the site of an elf in these woods--in these times. This surprise, however, she quickly released, focusing on the woman and her words.

"I could very well claim my reasons as my own, she-elf, and refuse to tell you any thing. However, from your words I sense that you knew this man, or at least knew of him. So perhaps you have some right to know. I rescued his body for no great reason, other than at the moment, I thought to myself I should not like to see the orcs defile my father as they were about to defile this poor man. Is that reason enough for you? And now that I have answered, will you now tell me why a woman of the firstborn of Eru chooses to dwell among men, and care for the dead and living rangers of Ithilien?"

Aerdaneth stood waiting for her answer, her eyes unflinchingly staring at the elf woman. There was not an ounce of fear, unease or hesitancy in her countenance, nor in the lines of her body and face. There was only a slight, odd air of indifference which pervaded the dark skinned woman's presence.

ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 12:30
At last, weary and bloodied, the Rangers reached their destination. Tenuvian consulted his map again, checking that they were in the precise location Faramir had indicated. They were, and he sat down on a fallen tree, at least relieving his tired legs.

Then an overwhelming sense of dread overtook him.

Oh no, Lenar!

He lept up immidiately and went in search of the young ranger, anger and sorrow building inside him.

What did I get him into? Blast it, this is all my fault.

He kept looking for something to blame besides himself. He never should have sent out such an inexperienced ranger on such a dangerous task. Whether or not he liked it, Lenar's condition was his responsiblity.

Finally, he found him. He was with their healer, who was working on extracting the orc arrow which was buried in his shoulder.

"Whats his condition?" Tenuvian asked.

The healer looked up from his work and spoke.

"He lost a fair amount of blood, and is unconscious because of it. Luckily, the arrow wasn't poisoned, or he'd be dead already. He should survive, provided I can get this arrow out soon."

"Let me know when you make any progress or he wakes up." Said Tenuvian. With that, he strode from the tent to inspect his other rangers and find out how many they had lost in the skirmish.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 12:56
A smile simply came from nowhere on Eowilindë's lips when she heard the dark-skinned woman's response. In many ways this daughter of men is like me. Stubborn, proud, and confident. At least, when I'm not scared and hidden. she thought more gloomily.

She lowered her weapon and stood more at ease. She frowned a little. To the woman she said, "I knew of this man, for I now travel with the group of rangers he belonged to. A pity his life had to be claimed by those vile orcs!"

Once again she smiled, and her eyes glittered. "You have done well, to rescue this man. The rangers and his family are forever in your debt."

She continued: "My reasons for staying here are dark and sad; I do not wish to tell you now. Perhaps one day you might know. Pray, tell me your name? I shall lead you to the Rangers camp where we can bury Galdor, for that was his name."

She took a step closer. "I am Eowilindë, a wood-elf." She extended her hand to the woman for a handshake, hoping that maybe at last she might have a friendship with a woman, with anyone for that matter, for she had not had one for many a year.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 01:10
As the arrow was extracted from his shoulder, Lenar cried out - the sudden rush of pain bringing him back from unconsciousness. The only thing he was aware about for a moment was the pain. He was never seriously injured before and wouldn't believe that it can hurt so much!

Then his senses returned slowly. He realized that someone is leaning over him. "What... What happened?" he whispered through clenched teeth. But then everything returned to him. Galdor... Oh Valar, Galdor is dead! He killed him!

He didn't have the strength to hold the tears. He wept and his body shivered with suppressed sobs. He clenched his wound as the pain was exploding in it with every sob but couldn't stop, the grief was too overwhelming.

In a while the sobs ceased and he lay totally exhausted with closed eyes, panting heavily. It didn't help, the images were still there. Slowly a thought emerged in his mind: he had to do something. But what? The orc camp! He must tell Tenuvian!

With effort Lenar opened his eyes. "Te... Tenuvian?" he asked. "Must... speak to him..."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 08:16
Aerdaneth eyed the elf woman's extended hand for a moment, her gaze flickering up to the warm, eager face that owned the little hand.

"Well met, Eowilindë the Wood-Elf," Aerdaneth murmured, briefly accepting the handshake, "It is not often we see your kind in the lands of Middle Earth anymore."

Aerdaneth withdrew her hand, her eyes scanning the trees around them quickly before returning to rest on the elf woman.

"And I am Aerdaneth of Belfalas. Galdor, you say, is this poor man's name?" she paused, turning to the body which lay across the gelding's thin back, "He seemed a courageous man. I watched what befell him and the other ranger. Both brave men..."

Aerdaneth's voice trailed off, her eyes on the noble face that had become as pale as the snow on the mountain tops. The image suddenly brought a flash of memory--the only other dead human she had ever beheld.

She spoke again, her voice losing any warmth it had, and returning to the distant indifference which marked her character.

"But we waste time in talk, come, take me to the rangers that I may return to them their brother."
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 04:00
Tenuvian walked amoung his men as they prepared the new camp. Slowly tents were going up and his men were preparing for some much needed rest. He had examined their casualties, and it looked like they were about two hundred men strong, not nearly as many as the orcs, but still enough to harry them with some effeciency.

As he was walking, the healer, Cleoborn, approached and informed him that Lenar was awake and asking for him. Tenuvian sprinted to the tent, pushing aside the flap to reveal Lenar lying on a padded table. The arrow had been taken out, and his wound was dressed.

Relief spread over him as he saw the young man stir.

Good, he's alive.

He leaned over the young ranger and spoke.

"Lenar. Lenar, are you alright? Can you hear me?"
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 06:33
The she-elf noticed the slight indifference from Aerdaneth. At first she was surprised, then realized that she herself was probably the same way. After all, they just met 5 minutes ago.

"Come," she said to Aerdaneth. "The camp's this way." Eowilindë took the horse's reins and led the way.

As she walked, she thought about the woman some more. Aerdaneth was human, she was elf. Cultural differences played alot in this mistrust. They knew each other to be allies, but...Even I don't trust anyone easily, especially if their not elven kind.

Glancing behind her she caught a glimpse of the corpse. She wondered if Lenar was still alive.

They continued to walk in silence, Eowilindë listening with elven hearing to the hoofbeats of the gelding, birds in the air, distant animals, Aerdeneth's quiet footfalls, and for rumors of orcs.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 07:07
Lenar opened his eyes slowly. Someone was leaning over him, calling his name. He focused his vision on the face of the person. "Captain?" he asked. Yes, it was Tenuvian...

"Captain, I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... It was my fault. Galdor... Galdor is dead." For a moment there was absolute quiet, not even the usual sound of a forest could be heard. Lenar shivered.

"We found the orc-camp... it's huge..." And he told Tenuvian everything abut their scouting mission,as much as he could remember about the orc-camp, his talking interrupted by many pauses when he had to wait until the pain abates a little to be able to speak.

But when he came to the moment when the orcs took Galdor prisoner, he stopped, unable to speak about that. He shook his head and tears appeared in hies eyes again. He wanted to suppress them, he didn't want Tenuvian to see him cry. But they welled out and Lenar averted his face from Tenuvian in an attempt to hide them.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 08:15
Aerdaneth followed the elf woman, a half step behind. She allowed the woman to lead the horse, choosing instead to walk beside the beast, keeping a steadying hand on Galdor's body. She did not wish for the body to slip off the beast.

With every step, there was another small reminder of the cut on her leg. She glanced down at it without moving her head, not wishing to alert the elf to any weakness of her own. The cut was not terribly deep--it could perhaps use some stitches, but the constant movement and use of the leg without bandaging was causing more pain and damage.

Aerdaneth paused, and the horse stopped as well. The timid creature had taken her as its master. Aerdaneth ignored Eowilindë's curious glance as she moved closer to the beast's side and swung up onto its back. She gritted her teeth at the flash of pain created by her movements, but otherwise showed no signs of any disturbance. Holding Galdor's body steady on the horse, she nodded at the elf.

"It has been many years since I rode such a beast. You must forgive me the longing to do so once more," she muttered, her eyes staring into the elf's.

Aerdaneth did not move to grab the reins, content to allow the she-elf to lead. She cast a quick glance at the gash on her leg again. Soon it would need to be bound, and the moment she got some time alone, she would have to find a needle and do some stitching as well.

[Edited on 5/12/2008 by Adara_Cochava]
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 08:33
Several hours passed. "If we continue this steady pace, we should get to the camp by nightfall." Eowilindë said.

Aerdaneth was acting a bit strange, she mused. First, seemingly avoiding her. Second, getting on the horse. She must not be used to walking long distances. Eowilindë began to wonder if this woman was really just a pampered girl. But likes saving dead bodies from orcs? Nothing made sense.

The body was beginning to stink. "Three more hours..." she gritted her teeth.

Eowilindë glanced back at a sound she heard, and glimpsed a look of discomfort on Aerdaneth's face. She turned around quickly as a sudden realization dawned on her.

"Daro!" she commanded the horse. The gelding immediantly stopped. She turned around, concern and guilt on her face.

"Dear lady, if you are hurt, please say so! I do not wish you more discomfort! Pray, tell me where are you hurt?"

[Edited on 12/5/2008 by Erucenindë]
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 08:46
Tenuvian listened to Lenar's every word intently, focusing on each detail. It was clear the young ranger was in a lot of pain. When he began to speak about Galdor, tears flooded his eyes and he averted his face. Tenvian knew what had happened. He didn't need to make Lenar say it.

"Get some rest, Lenar." He said. "Everything will be alright."

He put his hand on the ranger's shoulder, and then left the tent. Once outside he sank into a heap on a log, and silently wept, unable to hold back his emotions any longer. Everything had gone terribly wrong, and now this young man was suffering because of his decision. He had to correct his error and make the best of this situation. The odds were stacked heavily against him though, if what Lenar had told him was accurate.

He collected himself, stood up, and walked off in search of the elf, who had still not turned up. He hoped she had not fallen in the battle, but still went to check the dead for her.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 08:53
Time passed slowly for Aerdaneth. She sat astride the gelding, closest to the dead. Galdor was indeed beginning to smell. The odor made her stomach churn, but she forced her thoughts to dwell on other things.

The elf could not figure her out. This much she could read on the beautiful woman's face, whenever she happened to glance back. Aerdaneth smiled faintly, ignoring the now throbbing pain in her leg. Being a mystery had a faint taste of entertainment for her. It had been many months since she had been among other people. Reading their faces was a pleasure she had not enjoyed for some time.

Three more hours, the elf soon told her. The sun was in the west now, shooting red-stained rays through the trees. Aerdaneth bit her lip.

Just then the horse pushed past a branch and it slid across his shoulder before slapping back against her leg. Pain coursed through her body, forcing out a gasp between clenched teeth. Eowilindë turned quickly, stopping the beast.

At the elf's words, Aerdaneth frowned. Her mind flew quickly through possibilities. How could she mask what was truly wrong? She had inherited her father's pride, she suddenly realized with a wry smirk. But the elf was still staring at her, worry written on her features.

"Be at ease, Eowilindë," Aerdaneth replied somewhat sternly, "It is but a slight cut I incurred from the prior owner of this beast. When we reach the ranger camp, I will find time to see to it."
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 10:47
Tenuvian walked out of the tent and Lenar stayed alone with his pain and thoughts. He wanted to rest, but every time he closed his eyes the memories returned. Hot tears were flowing freely down his cheeks now.

Well, at least you have some wits in that head of yours to take someone to keep an eye on you... In that time he didn't know yet... There were so many things that he could do differently and Galdor would live! He should have run faster to warn him... He shouldn't have insisted on observing the orc-camp... He shouldn't have taken Galdor with him... He shouldn't have gone at all! He should have told Tenuvian that he doesn't trust himself with that quest! But he didn't... He wanted to earn his respect. And now Galdor is dead... Killed by his own arrow.

Lenar didn't understand it. Usually his arrows weren't very accurate. Well, they flew in the general direction where he aimed. But this one arrow, this was accurate and deadly, finding its mark in Galdor's heart. His mind told him that he did the right thing but his heart didn't want to hear it. It would feel thousand times better if he missed. He felt like a kinslayer and his mind couldn't change it.

He didn't want to close his eyes, but he couldn't hold them open anymore... His eyelids felt so heavy. Totally exhausted, he drifted into an uneasy sleep.

[Edited on 6/12/2008 by Mirach]
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 12:40
Tenuvian checked the dead, but found no trace of the elf. Not that she would have been easy to miss. She would have stood out distinctly from the Rangers that lay in neat rows. This left three options. One, she was dead and her body hadn't been found. Two, she was alive and off by herself for some reason, and three, she had been captured by the orcs. He hoped for her sake it wasn't the third option.

He walked back to his tent, and sat down, wearily, over his maps. Despite Lenar's report, many questions remained unanswered. For example, what exactly had happened to Galdor? Tenuvian had assumed he was dead, but Lenar had not elaborated, and he didn't want to press the poor ranger any further at the moment. Tenuvian then realized than galdor may have been captured, if not killed.

"Dorus!"

The scout came rushing into tent.

"Yes, Captain?"

"Take ten men and get me a new report on the orc camp. Every detail matters here. We will be attacking soon."

The Scout turned to leave.

"Oh, and Dorus. Keep an eye out for Galdor and the elf. The two of them may have been captured by the mordor filth.

"Yes, Captain."

The scout turned and departed through the tent flap.

Tenuvian turned back to his maps, attempting to put his emotions behind him and deal with the pressing threat of the orc encampment.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 04:11
Eowilindë was turned off from the curt response. If you want to be that way, fine, be that way. Apparently Aerdaneth didn't want help, nor be friendly.

She instead continued to walk in silence for the next three hours. It was dusk, and there wasn't much light left to see. She could glimpse fires throught the trees.

"We're here." she said bluntly. Knowing better than to walk into a camp of rangers at dusk, she instead called out in a loud voice as she walked closer, "Captian Tenuvian! It's me, Eowilindë!"

Several rangers greeted her, but stared at what was behind her, and not just dead Galdor.

She stopped inside the camp, and waited for Tenuvian.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 05:40
The last three hours had been exhausting, but Aerdaneth allowed no signs of weariness to show on her dark face. Sometime during those long hours, she had ripped a strip of deep scarlet cloth from the hem of her shirt and wrapped her leg tightly.

She had noted the reaction the elf had to her harsh words in regard to her wound, and for a moment her conscience pricked her. The lady was only trying to help.

At last the elf announced that they had arrived at the camp, proceeding to call out for a man named Tenuvian. Aerdaneth's body grew tense, her face cold and distant. The poor exhausted bay horse sensed her unease and whinnied, attempting to twist sideways and away from the elf.

They proceeded into the camp, and several rangers came out to meet them, greeting Eowilindë in a friendly manner. But then their gazes fell upon Galdor and Aerdaneth. At the site of the dead ranger, their faces showed only grief.

But then their eyes fell upon Aerdaneth, and something in their stance straightened. Their eyes grew sharp, and a few even dropped an uneasy hand to their sword hilts.

Aerdaneth did not avert her eyes, but stared bluntly back at any who dared stare at her. Pride arched her back, tilted her chin slightly up, and made her eyes burn like black flames in the midnight watches.

"Your welcome was warm, Lady Eowilindë, and for that I thank you. Perhaps you wondered at my coldness, and now you will see some reasons for it. Watch the rangers, and how they look upon my features. I will not find so warm a welcome here, no, not among the men of Ithilien..." Aerdaneth murmured, pausing and meeting the elf's gaze, "not when my appearance is so much similar to the enemy."

[Edited on 6/12/2008 by Adara_Cochava]
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 06:29
Tenuvian heard his name being called, and he strode out of his tent into the growing dusk. It was not a ranger who called his name though.

In the camp he saw several of his rangers around the elf. What was more curious was what was behind her. He saw a horse, and a lady upon it. As he drew closer however, what he saw disturbed him.

First he saw Galdor's body, lain across the horse. When he looked up at the lady riding the steed however, something caught his eye. This women distictly resembled the people of Harad. She shared many of their features, and Tenuvian decided he'd seen enough. He would act now and ask questions later. Too much was at risk.

He drew his sword as he approached, and stopped with it at his side as he addressed the lady.

"I know not who you are, nor where you come from. Only that you come carrying the body of one of my men. Kindly get down from your horse and surrender your arms. or I will take them from you." He said sternly, looking directly into her eyes with his angry gaze.

As he spoke, his men around him drew their blades as well, following the example of their captain. The elf seemed a bit uneasy and the lady from Harad eyed them with suspicion, but maintained her composure.

Tenuvian's hand twitched. Every instinct he had, every bit of his experience, every moment of his training was telling him to kill this woman and be done with it, but he stayed his blade, at least for the moment. While he suspected the woman of being a spy, she could be of use, if only for information. And in his current situation, knowledge was power, and he needed as much of it as he could get.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 06:53
Eowilindë was on one part shocked and the other part not at all. Apparently, Gondorians and Haradrim did not get along, much like the elves of Mirkwood and Rivendell/Lorien have fought before.

Tenuvian was not happy and that was more than obvious. I hope I didn't do anything wrong... She was wondering about Lenar, and right now she really didn't want to be where she was. It felt like she was in the middle of a generational battle, and literally, since she was more or less in the middle of Tenuvian and Aerdaneth.

She had not known this woman for long, nor had this woman been so kind to her, but Eowilindë vowed to herself that Tenuvian would not kill her easily. Nay, she would have to be a spy of the enemy before she let him.

She watched and waited for the response, her own hand on her sword...
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2008 12:58
The gathering crowd of rangers parted, allowing one to pass through them. It was clear from the way he carried himself that he was the leader of these men, the captain, the one they looked to, admired, and mimicked.

This must be Tenuvian.

He came to a halt before the elf and herself, and the moment his eyes fell upon Aerdaneth, his sword was in his hand. Anger played on his face, lighting his eyes.

Aerdaneth could not be surprised at this harsh welcome, but though she had expected it all along, something deep inside her recoiled. The momentary sting of pain in her chest was quickly overwhelmed by the pride of her father's lineage. For one moment she hesitated, unwilling to bow to the ranger's wishes.

It was the logical side of herself that made her swing down off the horse with the ease, grace and indifference of a lazy cat stretching in the sun. Her hands fell to the belt which strapped her sword to her hip, slowly she unlatched it, her eyes never for a moment wavering from Tenuvian's. There wasn't an ounce of fear in her, nor intimidation.

She wrapped the belt slowly, methodically around the sheathed sword and cast it (with much more effort than was necessary) to the side. She did not wait, then, for further orders. She did not like to wait. She liked rather to act first.

So it was that she turned to the horse, as if there were no one else near her, and pulled Galdor's body down. It was heavy, and the movement put strain on her injured left leg, but though it trembled, it held fast. She stepped closer to Tenuvian, and bowed to one knee, Galdor's dead, stinking body in her arms. Her eyes traveled up to Tenuvian, as if he held no sword in his hand, as if there were no anger burning in his eyes, as if he had never spoken harshly.

"I return to you your brother, Captain of the Rangers of Ithilien. Much I went through to retrieve it, but my story you will not believe. No, for the shade of my skin, and the nearness of my appearance to the Haradrim, you will not hear me as another man. This I accept. There is only one among you, who I can only hope made it out alive, that can pardon me. Him you must ask, and if he is honorable, and speaks the truth, he will tell you that I am innocent of any crime against the kingdom of Gondor."

Aerdaneth paused, and pride surged through her. She had done well, she thought. But now it was time to show that she was not so easily cowed.

"Take this poor man's body, Captain. Then, do as you will, only I warn you, if you attempt to restrain me forcibly, I will resist. Think not that because I am a lady I have no strength or will to resist. Should you choose to fight me, you may indeed win, for your numbers are many, but I tell you that many women would be husbandless, and many children without a father should you make an attempt to unjustly punish me for crimes I did not commit."

And there was a fire in Aerdaneth's eyes, even as her body was poised to leap and fight...
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2008 03:34
Tenuvian was slightly taken aback by the lady's words. She acted as if she didn't have a blade but a few inches away from her throat. Still, he kept his focus and didn't waiver.

He motioned to one of his rangers, and he came forward a took Galdor's body from the woman, who remained looking at him. He glanced over at her sword lying in the leaves, and then back to her. Then he addressed her, not moving his eyes away from hers, but also keeping his sword drawn.

"You have done as I have asked, and I will not hold you, at least for the present. Obviously however, there are some answers I will need from you before I allow you to walk freely here or be armed."

As he was speaking one of his men collected her sword and brought it to him. He pulled it out from its sheath a few inches, and examined the blade. It was sharp, but also lacking in any evil runes or poisons which were often found on enemy blades. He pushed it back in, satisfied.

"Come with me." He said calmly, attempting to not sound as frustrated as he was. His mission was becoming much more complicated than he had anticipated.

He then turned to Eowilinde. He needed to speak to the two of them seperately to make sure their stories matched. If they didn't, he'd know that the newcomer was a spy, or at least a liar.

"Lenar would be glad to see you, milady. He is in the healer's tent. Please go and see him, and wait for me there."

Without waiting for a reply he turned and bid the newcomer and two of his rangers to follow him. He walked to his tent, and went inside.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2008 05:52
Aerdaneth briefly considered resisting and demanding that her sword be returned to her. For a moment she hesitated, her dark eyes focused on the Captain of the rangers. Her gaze flew over his face, reading his features as best she could. He didn't allow much reading, however, a tight book.

Still, there was no evil in his eyes. He was, after all, on the side of Gondor.

It would not be weak of her to submit for the time being. It was highly logical to demand explanation.

Aerdaneth started to jump lightly to her feet, but the flash of pain that shot up her leg made her stumble slightly to the left. Quickly she regained her balance, her dark features flushing a shade darker.

She shot a silencing glance at Eowilinde before following Tenuvian. He led her and two other men into a nearby tent. Aerdaneth parted the flap of the tent and entered it. Torch light flickered on the cloth walls, and on the face of the captain as he stood before her. For a moment, Aerdaneth stood tall and straight, still falling short of Tenuvian's slightly imposing height. Her eyes met the grey eyes that stared sternly back at her.

But her left leg was trembling under her. It was getting harder to keep her wound from becoming evident. Time to take control again.

Aerdaneth seated herself without permission, on a nearby stool. She took a chance in this, she knew well. Her drastically lowered height could indicate humility and submission, or pride and disregard for his leadership. Also, it could draw attention to the wound which was once more oozing blood through the strip of dark cloth that bound it.

But none of this could be seen in Aerdaneth's cool, dark eyes.

"Let the questions begin, Captain."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 07, 2008 06:36
Eowilindë was left with instruction to visit Lenar and also to ponder all the events that had happened. Tenuvian's and Aerdaneth's coldness and hostility. Aerdaneth's look. Tenuvian's "command". She figured why he wanted to talk seperatly. Compare information.

She sighed. Well, this isn't my mess anyways. What if Gondor and Harad have problems? I'm just an elf, and these are the issues of men, not elves. We have our own clashes.

She headed for the healing tent to see Lenar like Tenuvian "suggested". She didn't like that that was how he had put it, but she had wanted to see him anyways.

She stepped inside the tent to see Lenar on a makeshift bed. He appeared to be alseep.

"Lenar, can you hear me? It's Eowilindë."
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 12:08
Lenar didn't respond. His brow was covered in cold sweat and his breathing was quick and shallow. He was caught in a nightmare.

There was a dark place with gnarled trees covered in dust and ash. But he recognized it. It was Ithilien... Ithilien that has fallen into shadows. He walked that place for what seemed like hours. There was no life in the scorched land, no trace of rangers, no paths. Lenar was lost.

The silence was unnatural, as heavy as a dark mantle, pressing him down and suffocating him. He longed for a sound, for a sough of leaves or a gust of wind. The only thing he could hear was his own heartbeat, racing much more quickly then normal.

After eons of silence he thought he heard a sound. He stopped and listened. The sound echoed again and sent cold shivers down Lenar's spine. It was a sound of steps approaching.

He quickened his pace and the steps quickened too. He ran, stumbling over the fallen branches but the steps were closer with every second. He felt a burning pain in his shoulder and when he looked down, an arrow was protruding from it. But it wasn't an orc arrow. It was an arrow like rangers used.

The steps were only a few paces behind now and Lenar looked over his shoulder and his heart froze. It was Galdor... But his eyes were dead and unseeing and a red stain was on his tunic, in the place where an arrow protruded from his chest. Lenar's arrow...

Lenar cried out from his sleep and trashed wildly but didn't wake.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 01:29
The lady sat down without being bidden, and Tenuvian glanced over as to why. At first he thought it was just her boldness, but then he saw the bloodstained cloth around her leg. He'd bring that up later. He could use her being uncomfortable, at least for the moment. He walked around the table, putting the woman's blade on it as he did, and sat down on the other side.

"It is the custom of my people to kill the Harad on sight," Said Tenuvian. "especially after you sided with Sauron in the war and helped his assault on Osgiliath and Minas Tirith. So, you can start with your name, and your reasons for being in Ithilien. After that, you can explain how you came to acquire the body of one of my men."

He leaned back in his chair, lookly cooly at the lady across from him, and patiently waited for an answer.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 06:48
The she-elf looked with dire concern and worry when Lenar suddenly started responding to his nightmare, which was the only thing it could have been.

"Lenar!" Eowilindë cried. She rushed to his side, putting one hand on his forehead and one on his arm, trying to still him, comfort him. He was sweating and shivering, but his forehead was hot under her hand.

She spoke quietly, but at the same time in a low, authoritive voice. "Lasto beth nin, Lenar, tolo dan na galad. Av-rado i-Dhúath ú-orthor." *Hear my voice, Lenar, come back to the light. Don't make(let) the Shadow hold sway yet.*
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 11:28
Aerdaneth was a perceptive woman. She caught the barely visible flicker of Tenuvian's gaze traveling from her face to her leg and back again. Her stomach churned slightly. She had been found out. Yet he did not make mention of it, so she forced the sting of annoyance away.

She folded her arms quietly over her chest and stared at the captain. His questions were at the least reasonable. Still, the way he worded them pricked her.

...Especially after you sided with Sauron...

Aerdaneth leaned forward, her eyes glittering with anger.

"First of all, ranger, do not include me in actions I did not commit, merely because my blood can be traced to theirs. I did not side with Sauron in the war of the ring, and I will thank you not to group me up so callously with those betrayers."

She let her words hang sharply for a moment, and then allowed her anger to fade into red embers of annoyance.

"My name is Aerdaneth. My lineage I tell easily to no man. However, you seem to doubt myself and my intentions, captain, so I fear I must expound more than I am use to.
"I am the only child of Celegsîr. Perhaps the name sounds familiar to you, and perhaps it does not. My father was the brother to Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth. He was a hunter of the Haradrim prior to the war of the ring. You, Captain, are a man with much to do, so I will make my story short. He married a woman of Harad and his family cast him out. He did, however, fight in the war. My loyalty you question, but my loyalty has only ever been to the free peoples of Middle Earth, and to all that is good and pure in these lands."

Aerdaneth stopped and stretched her right leg out some. Her muscles were beginning to cramp a little from hours astride the poor gelding.

"As for Galdor, as I hear he is called, I traveled here from the coasts of Belfalas. I happened upon the orc camp and was sizing it up when I noticed two rangers stealing in. Ask for more details if you will, but I do not think it my part to tell you all that transpired then..." Aerdaneth hesitated for the first time in her speech. She did not think it fair to explain what had happened to Galdor. It was not her place.

"As I said, there is only one ranger that can exonerate me, sir, and I do not know his name. I know only that he was with Galdor when the ranger was slain. After this occurred, and the other ranger fled to warn you, I snuck in. I slid Galdor's body away from the orcs, for I did not like to see a man defiled..."

Aerdaneth proceeded to explain all that occurred after she rescued Galdor's body...but in the end, she would not explain what had occurred in between her finding the orcs, and her rescuing Galdor's body. When she had finished, she leaned back slightly, arms still folded over her chest, and stared at Tenuvian.

Something in her face dared him to cause more trouble between them...
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 12:07
Tenuvian was, at least, mostly satisfied with the woman's answers. She had been forthright enough, and she had seemingly done a very good deed for him at great risk to herself. He leaned forward in his chair, allowing his posture to relax.

"Very well," he replied calmly. "But before I can let you wander Ithilien freely, I must speak with your companion. If what she says matches what you have told me, then I will return your arms to you and let you go as you please. Kindly remain here. I will return shortly."

Tenuvian left the tent, signaling the two rangers to remain inside with the lady. He didn't judge her to be a spy, she was far to angry for that, but he still didn't trust her completely.

While her answers had been adquate, Tenuvian was still becoming more and more annoyed. It was most unusual to encounter this many strangers in Ithilien, and it was increasingly frustrating to manage his men and these newcomers while planning this attack.

Finally he reached the healers tent, pulled back the flap, and entered. Inside he found Eowilindë leaning over Lenar, speaking softly. He paused, and decided to let her finish before he spoke.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 01:18
Lenar ran, ran for his life. He stumbled over a log and fell. His eyes were wide in horror as Galdor was approaching, his face twisted in the mask of death. He reached out for him and Lenar felt cold rising from his hand. He trembled in anticipation of the touch and closed his eyes.

Suddenly a voice was in the air. It was like a light in shadows.
Lasto beth nin, Lenar, tolo dan na galad. Galdor stopped in his movement, only inches from Lenar's heart. Lenar opened his eyes and saw his unmoving face looking down at him.

Av-rado i-Dhúath ú-orthor. The voice echoed again, clearer this time and Lenar saw leaves sprouting on the dead branches. And when he looked in the direction where the voice was coming from, he saw a path, winding up the hill and behind the hill sun was rising.

Lenar stood up slowly, looking at Galdor. He didn't move, didn't reach for him, only his eyes were following him. Lenar stepped forward on the path, leaving Galdor behind. But when he took a few steps, he stopped and turned.

Galdor didn't look like a corpse anymore. The arrow was still there, but his features were calm and peaceful and his eyes had the sparkle again, that was in them during the life. Lenar stood for a moment hesitantly. The voice was calling him but his heart desired for something that only Galdor could give him. Forgiveness...

Lenar sighted and slowly walked back to Galdor. Their eyes met and there was no bitterness in Galdor's eyes. Only sorrow.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." whispered Lenar.

Galdor nodded slightly and his lips curled in an echo of a smile. "It's not your fault. Thank you..." he said.

Tears welled in Lenar's eyes but he smiled slightly, too. One last time he looked at Galdor. Then he turned to the path and followed the voice...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 01:52
She felt him respond. Peace there was now in his features. She sighed. The battle was over. And the healer only helps the sick to win it.

She had been so absorbed with Lenar that she didn't even realize Tenuvian had walked in. So when Eowilindë got up from her kneeling position and turned around, she was surprised.

"I'm sorry, Captain, I did not hear you come in." She noticed his glance to Lenar. "He will be fine now. He is healed from his sorrows. He should wake up soon." She smiled then added, "What did you want, Captain?"

She shifted her weight to one foot for she was weary. Healing always did that to her. But she put that aside and waited for Tenuvian's response.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 03:24
Eowilindë rose to her feet and turned, slightly startled by Tenuvian's prescence there.

"Your new friend," said Tenuvian. "How exactly did you come to meet her in the forest? Her appearance bothers me, and I need to make sure she is trustworthy before I arm her again or let her wander freely. Her circumstances of arrival are suspicious at best."

After speaking Tenuvian paused for a moment. He looked at the elf, and thought about how far the two of them had come since he was suspicious of her, just over a day or two ago. Now she had just helped one of his men after a battle and a long march through the forest.

Perhaps not all of these complications are frustrating, after all. He thought.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 03:48
I knew this was coming. she thought grimly. Eowilindë wondered how Aerdaneth's "interrogation" went.

She began to tell her side of the story, and was careful to not let any details out. She started from when she pursued the orcs to the point when they had gotten to the camp.

"And that is really all I can tell, Captain. I really don't think she is evil; no matter how suspicious she seems or acts. I hope my account does not make you think of Aerdaneth any worse."

((OOC ~ Eep! this was short!))
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 05:03
Tenuvian listened patiently to the elf's response. Her account seemed short on details, but it matched with the newcomer's, so he was satisfied, at least for the moment.

"Thank you," He replied, and he turned and left the tent, heading back to his own. When he got there the lady from Harad and the two rangers were still there. As he entered he bid the two rangers to leave, and walked over to the table. He picked up the lady's sword and tossed it to her. She caught it, slightly surprised by the act.

"Your stories match, and you are free to do as you please, though I would appreciate you letting me know if you plan on "visiting" the orcs again. We have plans to eliminate them shortly, and it would not be good for either of us if you were caught in the middle."

He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts.

"You have a better friend than you know in that elf." He continued. "I suggest you go visit her, and get that wound looked at." He said, indicating her bloodied leg. "Luckily for you, both of those things are in the healers tent."

As he finished this sentence his scout entered the tent, looking quite tired.

"I must ask you to leave now, milady. I have business to attend to, but I thank you for returning Galdor's body. We, and his family surely, appreciate it."

With that thought he turned his attention to his scout and locations he was indicating on the maps. It was going to be a long night of planning...
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email