Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Battle for Ithilien
on: January 29, 2009 05:50
Tenuvian sat in his chair, thinking of the possible scenarios that could happen should Durnaur make an appearance at the White City. Tenuvian was still not sure whether or not he would arrive though. Unfortunately for him, that question was answered at that very moment.

The doors to the chamber opened and one of the King's pages came in. He paused and gave a curt bow at the head of the table and then spoke.

"My Lord, he's here."

Tenuvian sat up suddenly, shocked that the challenger was here already. He had been counting on more time to prepare for his arrival. He would have to accelerate things now. he stood up and bowed to his King.

"As you ordered milord, I will go ready my company. We are at your disposal."

He then turned to Lenar, Eowilinde, and Aerdaneth.

"Lenar, once you are done here, report to your post and prepare your men. I want them assembled and ready to go in 2 hours time. Eowilinde and Aerdaneth, you may join us when you see fit, though it seems sooner would be preferred."

He turned and left the chamber at a quick walk, the huge doors closing behind him with a echoing clash. He made his way down to the sixth level where the barracks of the Rangers stood and went inside. He found another of his lieutenants and woke him up.

"Assemble the men. The King needs our assitance. Have them called in and formed up in two hours time. We need to move quickly."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 06:48
At the news, Aragorn swallowed a knot in his throat. So soon? I'm not ready! But he said nothing.

Quickly everyone seemed to get up and leave, saying something about getting ready. Aragorn did not hear them. They left, and slowly he made his way over to the small window, with Arwen's eyes boring into his back. Most likely she awaited his instruction.

Silently he stood at the window sill, head bowed. Suddenly, he slapped his hand hard against the rock bottom of the sill, then closed it into a fist, leaning his head against the rock; eyes scrunched shut; jaw clenched. He ignored the pain coming from his hand; it was nothing compared to the turmoil inside.

He spoke, letting his true feelings come out, knowing he and Arwen were quite alone. "Why? Why? Why does everything I've worked for all my long years suddenly get threatened to be torn away from me? Why should I hand over everything I've pained and labored over to this, this, nobody? Does all the labor I went through for this country mean nothing?" He knew Arwen didn't have answers, but it felt good to vent a little.

He sighed, and turned to Arwen. Part of him wanted to cry from frustration. The other wanted revenge, if only to protect what was his. He did neither. Again he breathed heavily, trying to control his emotions. He was slightly confused as to whether he should feel the way he did or not. But deep down he knew he couldn't judge this man. Not yet, anyways. He also knew he would step down from the throne, if the people willed it. It would be painful.

Arwen smiled. He went to her, looking for her comfort.

He knew he would have to face this man soon. Then would come judgment.

((OOC~ i didn't do Rhys or Eowil yet, I didnt see that there would be much yet, since they are simply running around. They'll come in next time, to observe and judge Durnuar.))
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2009 09:46
"Yes, Captain!" said Lenar and managed his voice to sound steady, although inside he was shocked by the sudden reification of the threat, and his new responsibility. He walked out of the hall after Tenuvian, bowing to the King as he did. He stopped in the door, throwing one last glance at the man that had the responsibility for all Gondor and her people and then turned and left to face his responsibility.

He headed for the barracks where Galdor's... his unit was accommodated. He knew the men, but didn't have time to act as their lieutenant yet and he wasn't sure how they will react on him doing so. He stopped before the door and took a deep breath. He heard words and soft laugh from inside, the men relaxing after the hard times in Ithilien.

Lenar opened the door and stepped inside. Suddenly there was an awkward silence and Lenar felt his heartbeat echoing in the room. Most of the men were older then he and he didn't know if Tenuvian told them, what happened to Galdor... what he caused.

If you find yourself in a position of power it is only because others have put you there. Those others have the power to take you down... Lenar took another deep breath and looked around. "I am your new lieutenant. I didn't want it to happen this way... I wish Galdor could stand on this place instead of me. I don't know if I can be a good lieutenant. It is a position given to me by Captain Tenuvian but you are the ones that are affected by this decision. If you don't want me as your lieutenant, I will accept your decision..."

He studied the faces of the men. He knew their names and faces but he felt as if a gap was between him and them. Then Verain, the oldest of them, stood up and looked Lenar straight into the eyes... and smiled "Glad to see you again, young one. After you stayed behind to wait for Tenuvian, we thought we won't see either of you again... But you was right where we doubted. I trust your judgment, Lieutenant." The other men followed Verain and voiced their trust to Lenar. He couldn't believe that this is real.

"I will try my best to not fail your trust," he promised. He wasn't nervous anymore - the gap disappeared. This were his men and he was one of them. "Thank you, Verain," he said to the old ranger and the man nodded with a sparkle in his eye.

Then Lenar spoke to his men: " An usurper is coming to the city, claiming his right for the throne. The King... the true King... needs us." He saw the resentment in their features at the news. He felt the same. "Captain Tenuvian wants us assembled and ready in one and half hour. Uh, and yes, that was an order..." Verain chuckled softly and Lenar smiled and shrugged. The men began to prepare immediately and Lenar went to prepare himself.

Short before two hours since Tenuvian's order passed, Lenar and his men were ready and waiting for the Captain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen watched Aragorn's outburst without leaving her own emotions to reach her face. She felt the same frustration, that was evident in his features. Why indeed? We had to tread many dark roads and just as we found the light beyond them, another shadow emerges... But she had to be strong, he needed her...

The outburst of emotions passed and he turned to her, looking tired... and mortal. She waited for him to come nearer. Then, in a flash of movement, she drew her dagger and pressed it to his throat. His eyes widened in confusion. "What’s this? A ranger caught off his guard?" she whispered. There was a flicker of recognition in his eyes.

She lowered the dagger, kissing the place where it was pressed. "Is there so much difference between the king and the ranger?" she asked. Both protect the land entrusted to them... and I love both. You didn't change, Estel. You are a warrior and you have the strength and will to fight. And you have the wisdom to decide when to fight." She smiled as she gently caressed his cheek.

"You wished a physical enemy instead of a spoken, invisible one. He is here. Let us see him, my Lord, and decide what is best for our land. But the choice won't influence my love to you, nor my decision, because you are my Hope."
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2009 12:17
Tenuvian walked out of his quarters and into the courtyard where his company stood in formation, strapping on his sword as he did. Most of the men were talking, the lieutenants standing in from of their respective sections. They looked outstanding wearing their white dress uniforms used only while in the city. Each man's brown and green Ithilien garb was replaced with white, silver and blue, bearing the white tree of Numenor on their chests.

Tenuvian walked out to the front of formation and paused, looking over his now sizeable force of soldiers.

"Company! Fall in!"

His men snapped to attention. Tenuvian looked down from one end of the formation to the other. All were present and in good order. He felt pride swell in his heart. These were his men now.

"The King has need of us again, my friends. A dark threat is approaching, and it is unlike any we have faced before. Your officers will brief you on the situation once things are complete here. These are your orders.

He looked down to the first section of his company and its commander.

"Grimbol!"

"Sir!"

"Take your section to the main gate and welcome our "guest." Make sure things go smoothly there."

Grimbol saluted him and Tenuvian returned it. He looked next to Hadelf.

"Hadelf."

"Sir!"

Take your section to the quarters for the company of our guest. Make sure noone goes in or leaves after they arrive. I will not have these strangers wandering our streets freely"

Hadelf saluted and again Tenuvian returned it. He looked last to Lenar, his newest officer, and his men. He wanted to keep Lenar and his men close to the King. If worst came to worst, he wanted to be able to react to any sizeable threat quickly.

"Lenar."

"Sir!"

"Your section is with me. We will be bolstering the Tower Guard and securing the seventh level for the defense of the King and Queen."

Lenar saluted and Tenuvian retunred it.

"Company! Fall out!"

The men broke ranks and began to follow their officers to their respective locations. Tenuvian walked up to Lenar who was still standing in front of his men.

"The King needs us Lenar. I know you're up to the challenge. You proved in Ithilien that you've got what it takes to handle yourself and work under presure. Deploy your men at the top to make sure nothing gets in our out of the palance and seventh level. The Tower Guard are strong, but their numbers are few and they will need our support. Let's go."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2009 07:51
The city of Minas Tirith was in a state of suppressed chaos, or at least the commoners were. They were moved by rumors, fragments of truth twisted, as most rumors are, into a more dark and sinister form. Men left their work and stood in the streets. Once again, weapons were strapped to their sides, eyes were flinty and stern. Faces held a mix of fear and rage.

Aerdaneth watched all of this, feeling very much far removed from it. It was as if she were not even there. All around her people, soldiers and commoners, bustled. Each had a purpose, a task they knew well. The rangers were being outfitted in their finest garb, their swords were sharp and clean, their attention crisp.

Aerdaneth looked down upon her own clothes and felt somewhat shabby. During the brief intermission between the King's table and the assembly upon the seventh level, she found time to rummage around for some cleaner, crisper arraignment.

The rangers dispersed under Tenuvian's command. Aerdaneth was impressed with his confidence and his well calm. He did well the job of leading these men, and they loved him. This she could see in every eye. Pride emanated from these men, made them stand taller and hold their chins higher. This was their Kingdom, and they would give their lives to defend it.

Now Aerdaneth stood near Tenuvian and the elf. Lenar was not so far away. Aerdaneth eyed him too. He was looking a bit more self-confident, but a trace of nerves played on his face. He handled it well, however.

Aerdaneth glanced down at her sword. It hung in its sheath at her hip, a familiar and securing weight. She had cleaned it earlier as well, and it shone brighter than the stars. Should it come to a physical battle, she would stand with her new friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Durnaur passed under the gates of the first level. His eerie, palest blue eyes stared straight ahead at some unseen object. He rode stiff and straight in the saddle, his horse prancing under him nervously. At his side hung a sword of ancient make, descended from his ancestors, and now hanging at his own side. He did not think he would need it.

At the very least, he intended not to need it.

Durnaur took delight in struggles of the mind and the soul. He drew some twisted pleasure from conflicting emotions he helped create in others.

And these conflicting emotions he had inspired masterfully into the people of Minas Tirith. They assembled on every street and lane, staring at him with wide eyes, angry mouths and every now and again a rucous challenge.

All of these he ignored. Upon his initial enterance into the city, he was created by a squad of Ithilien rangers, decked out in their finest armor and clothing. Their faces were hard as the stone face which Minas Tirith leaned upon, and the Lieutenant's words were equally as stoney.

"The Lord Ellessar, King of Gondor and Arnor, beckons you to the seventh level of the White City. Your weapons we permit you to retain, but be advised, sir, any sign of disturbing the peace of this fair city, and you and your band will be disarmed in a rather violent way."

Durnaur smiled sweetly, his voice laced with a clearly false warmth--like the sun winking on a frigid winter's day.

"Your advice is very much appreciated, Lieutenant. Please, lead the way...I intend to take the men of Gondor's hearts, not their lives."

The Lieutenant did not respond, only led the dark lord up through the city. Durnaur rode with a trace of a smile kissing his hollow face. He quite enjoyed the stares that borred into him.

Finally they passed through the final gate, and into the courtyard wherein stood the White Tree. Durnaur allowed his gaze to linger on the tree, flames leaping in his chest as he wished they would leap upon the tree.

And then his milky eyes travelled across the courtyard, taking in yet another band of rangers. At their head stood four figures. First and foremost was the Captain, a steely grey eyed man who stared unflinchingly at Durnaur. Next to him stood another ranger, a lieutenant with a young face burning with passion. And beside these two were two women, one an elf--fair of face and fiery of heart. And the other was a woman with dark skin, and glittering dark eyes. In her face there were traces of some noble blood, but she appeared, for all the world, to be of the Haradrim. This surprised Durnaur, but he did not allow the surprise to echo on his face. Instead, he spoke...

"Where is this Aragorn, who has claimed the lordship of these lands? I would see the man face to face, and would challenge him for his right to this throne."

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 31, 2009 11:36
Surprise flashed in his eyes when the knife suddenly flew to his throat. I'm getting rusty on my skillls, thought Aragorn. To Arwen he said, "I see you are still very capable of defending yourself." He smiled amusingly.

He listened to her words intently, and found hope and comfort in them. "Thank you." he whispered.

He turned and looked at the door, knowing he must go. "My love, I must go meet this man. I ask you stay away for the time being. I do not know what he intends fully, not yet. Stay safe in case something happens." He kissed her, then turned and walked out of the door, the air around him charged with cunning. Nay, this man would not catch him off guard. Durnuar would be wise to remain careful.

Aragorn walked quickly to the main court, and exited the corridor just in time to hear Durnuar ask where he was.

In response, he said rather stiffly, "That's King Elessar, Lord Durnuar, and it would be well to remember that." He came to a stop in front of Durnuar, standing at his full height. Two tower guards stood on either side of him, while Tenuvian's company stood a little behind him and to the left.

Aragorn studied the man carefully, using every skill he had ever learned about reading people. This man was hard to read, as Aragorn was sure he himself was as well.

"Do what you came to do." he said, with a stern face; hand resting on Anduril, ready.
-----------------------------------------------

Eowilindë didn't know exactly where she should be, so she just followed Aerdaneth and Tenuvian closely. She did not want to get lost in all of the hustle and bustle.

She thought about the man who was coming. Already she favored King Elessar, but she was carefully trying to not make any judgement yet, nay, not until she saw this other. Though she could not imagine why Durnuar should deserve the throne if he did not work for it. A man who suddenly appears out of nowhere deserves suspicion.

After Tenuvian gave his orders, the group headed up towards the seventh level.

And waited.

But not for long. Soon, the man named Durnuar walked up to the level and demanded of the company to see Aragorn. Why he asked them, she did not know. They did not give an answer.

The few brief moments before King Elessar strode from the building, Eowilindë observed Durnuar. He was not a pretty man. Around him was an air of assurance and confidence, as if he knew the throne would be his without a fight. How could he be so sure?

Durnuar did not look all that appealing, but at the same time, he seemed that way. Somehow he seemed to give off a faint trust, as if the people of Gondor really should have him as their king.

The elf was not so sure. But already, doubt about everything was beginning to knaw at her. Elessar, or Durnuar? She decided to wait longer until she made a decision.

At that moment King Elessar came out, tall and strong, with a sense of ownership. Right now, Durnuar was on his turf, regardless whether or not Aragorn would remain king. He was still King, and that was what mattered.

Eowilindë decided that Aragorn could be very intimidating when he wanted to. She was secretly glad that Durnuar was the one in front of him, not her. It was amazing how much his mood had changed from the supper.

Aragorn stood in front of Durnuar, in all his regal prowess and might, Anduril's hilt flashing as a reminder. They waited for Durnuar's challenge.
-----------------------------------------

Rhys did not stand with Lenar's group, though he wished in every way he was with them. Instead, he stood a ways back to the right of the King, awaiting any orders that might come. A horse was not far from where he stood, though not in sight. That horse was ready, as he himself was, for any quick messages that might have to be run. For that was Rhys's job.

The air was tense around the King and the Usurper. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting for Durnuar's response. The King had not treated him kindly, but kind enough that Durnuar really couldn't say anything about it. After all, King Elessar could have not even let him in the city, or even anywhere near Gondor!

Rhys cursed under his breath and wished it were so. He did not like this man, no matter what his claims.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2009 01:56
Lenar positioned his men on the seventh level and was now standing beside Tenuvian, awaiting the arrival of the usurper. He wondered how does this man even dare to come to the city! And there he was, standing near the White Tree and Lenar felt it like blasphemy that this man should even lay eyes on the symbol of the Renewed kingdom.

His fingers clutched on the hilt of his sword. How does he dare?! After what he has done in Ithilien, how does he dare? There was no direct evidence connecting this man to the orc fortification, but Lenar didn't doubt in his mind that the connection exists. The connection between this pale figure and the orcs in Ithilien... and Galdor's death. His fingers went white.

King Elessar came to face the man and Lenar felt the aura of royalty radiating from his voice and posture. Unknowingly Lenar assumed the same posture as his King, his eyes fixed on the usurper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen was glad to see the resolution of her husband renewed. She smiled reassuringly. He told her to stay behind and she didn't argue, although in her heart she longed to be at his side. She knew why he doesn't want her there - he feared for her safety. With her, he wouldn't be able to concentrate fully, worrying for her. She didn't want to hinder him in this way and accepted his decision without question. Her worry for him he didn't need to see...

She returned his kiss and for a moment nothing else existed - just she and he, no worries, no throne usurpers. But the moment passed quickly as their lips parted. He turned to leave and she remained strong, still smiling reassuringly.

But when the doors behind him closed, her feet grew weak and she sank to a chair. She hided her face in her hands and sobbed quietly, the suppressed fears suddenly coming to the surface. Oh Valar, please, protect him... give him strength... give us both strength...
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2009 07:20
"That's King Elessar, Lord Durnuar, and it would be well to remember that."

"Do what you came to do."

The air was charged with an electric tension. Above, the sun glistened and burned, but it was nothing compared to the flames in the King Elessar's eyes. Every eye was now fixed upon Durnaur, this pale faced man who had traveled from so far.

He relished in the attention.

Standing as tall and proud as Aragorn, he looked the man directly in the eyes. Like to stallions squaring off, eyeing each other with flashing eyes, they stared at each other. Aragorn's hand moved slightly, reasting on the hilt of the sword Anduril. A silent warning. No other words were necessary. Durnaur stared into the steely eyes across from him.

He allowed the moment to stretch on, moving not a muscle in his lanky body.

Suddenly his face changed, in a flash all of his haughtiness slipped away, and something very near a broad, teasing smile danced on his grotesque features.

"I must confess, my lord, I did not expect so harsh a welcome. Although, perhaps my hopes for our meeting did hold a trace of unreasonableness. When I discovered my heritage, when I first realized that we were kin, I entertained some hope of a friendship between us. You stare at me hardly, King Elessar, and your hand lies on the hilt of Anduril as if you thought you would need it. Stay your hand, friend, for I am come with peace in mind. Gondor is a mighty kingdom, and I would see her rise to her former glory. I think I can do this for her, but I do not intend to force her into submission."

Durnaur ended his words, dragging out the last syllable a little longer. His cloudy eyes twinkled slightly with pride at his performance, but this could not be read by any around him.

"Indeed, your men gave me such a welcome that I thought they would take my head from off my shoulders!"

With every word that Durnaur spoke, his voice oozed with grace and warmth. His laugh came out sounding affable, and were his face not so thin and white, he might have appeared handsome. He had long practiced the arts of persuasion, and he played heavily upon them now. He relaxed his firm, proud stance, yet held himself still in a noble, and kingly, manner.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2009 07:45
The tension is the air was almost visible as the king and Durnaur squared off. Tenuvian stood slightly to the side with Lenar, Eowilinde, and Aerdaneth standing a little behind him. He was tense as Durnaur and the King exchanged words, his eyes following the challenger's moves, making sure he was not reaching for a hidden blade.

During the pauses, nothing was audible except for the whistle of the wind at this high height and the flutter of the banners bearing the White Tree.

Indeed, your men gave me such a welcome that I thought they would take my head from off my shoulders!"

Tenuvian now almost wished they had. He had only been looking upon this man for a few minutes and something was already bothering him. That unique sense he had of detecting evil and trouble was screaming at him to put his blade through this man's chest. This man carried a taint, though he hid it well.

But Tenuvian stayed his hand. Things needed to play out more, but he would be vigilant and ready when the time came.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 01, 2009 10:00
"I must confess, my lord, I did not expect so harsh a welcome. Although, perhaps my hopes for our meeting did hold a trace of unreasonableness. When I discovered my heritage, when I first realized that we were kin, I entertained some hope of a friendship between us. You stare at me hardly, King Elessar, and your hand lies on the hilt of Anduril as if you thought you would need it. Stay your hand, friend, for I am come with peace in mind. Gondor is a mighty kingdom, and I would see her rise to her former glory. I think I can do this for her, but I do not intend to force her into submission."

Aragorn stiffened. Durnuar had just mocked him in the most subtle way there was. Noone would ever notice. For that is how the game was played, was it not? Make fun of the other for the other's dismay. That may be your game but it is not mine. thought Aragorn.

Durnuar's words dripped with honey. And deceit. At least, that is what Aragorn gathered from Durnuar's eyes. Eyes were windows to the soul, they said. And if one was taught how to read them correctly, one could learn much. No ranger alive did not know how to do this. Sometimes, it could mean your life. Of course, intent and thoughts can be read my motions, however small, that the person makes. Unfortunatly, Durnuar hid those well.

It seemed that from those words the air around the crowd changed, as if perhaps this man was right, and those looking to him were suddenly feeling sympathy for this man's cause.

Aragorn was suddenly confused a little, not becuase of Durnuar's words, but at the familiarity of the mood of both crowd and usurper. As if he had seen or felt this before...

Suddenly the memory hit him, and with dread he realized why this atmosphere felt so familiar. Saruman...the Voice of Saruman! Saruman used the same trick! By flattering the crowd and stirring sympathy. By pretending to really be good. Words filled with fake trust. Theoden King had once fell stray by his words, and their company again felt the same when confronting Saruman at Orthanc.

Aragorn knew without a doubt in his heart this man was either a fake or he was hiding something. This man could not be up to any good. But how could he prove it? He couldn't, and there lay Aragorn's problem. Durnuar would have to make a mistake first.

Durnuar must have realized or suspected Aragorn figuring it out, for he suddenly shifted nervously, then composed himself. After all, again, Aragorn could prove nothing. This is like a bad dream... he thought.

Aragorn replied to Durnuar, "Forgive me, Lord Durnuar, for such actions. One can hardly blame, for anyone in my position would have done the same. Especially when noone knew what to expect, considering your letter was rather, let's say, vague." he finished with a mock smile. "I'm sure you wish to meet with the council, for what other way is there but to plead to them for the kingship, Lord Durnuar."

And he waited, hand still upon Anduril's hilt. I hope you learned your history, and remembered who the rangers are. Durnuar would be wise not to do anything rash, or mocking, again.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2009 12:52
Durnaur stood firm under the intense scrutiny of the King of Gondor. Elessar's eyes borred intently into Durnaur's, picking up the slightest twitches of facial muscle.

He looked as if he were attempting to read a scroll which was written in a language which he knew not.

But he did seem to be doing quite well, Durnaur had to give him that. While this he could not tell the thoughts of the pale faced man, nor devise all of his intentions, the Dunedain king could read more than the average man could.

The muscles around Durnaur's face twitched simultaneously with those in his back, giving away the appearance of anxiety at Aragorn's piercing gaze.

"Forgive me, Lord Durnuar, for such actions. One can hardly blame, for anyone in my position would have done the same. Especially when noone knew what to expect, considering your letter was rather, let's say, vague." he finished with a mock smile. "I'm sure you wish to meet with the council, for what other way is there but to plead to them for the kingship, Lord Durnuar."

This ranger would prove to be more of a challenge than perhaps Durnaur had first expected.

A grin momentarily flashed over Durnaur's face, stretching his skin over his pointy cheek bones.

It had been so long since he had faced a good challenge!

Durnaur was silent for a long moment, and then he responded. His voice was relaxed, and almost affable, as if he felt no tension.

"Quite right, my lord, quite right. I desire most ardently to speak with the council. I will admit," smiled the Usurper with a trace of steal shooting through his voice, "I do not intend to plead. I am come to this fair city for one purpose alone, and you may hear it now, as may the rest of these fine folk..."

Durnaur turned slightly away from Aragorn, taking in the crowd of rangers, as well as the elf lady and the woman of Harad, with one sweep of his eyes. He threw his hands out wide in an open armed gesture. His voice raised a notch in volume, and his back stiffened again with pride.

"I am come, people of Minas Tirith, of Ithilien, of Gondor, to claim my right to your throne. Not by force, no I will not take this throne from you. But I appeal to your sense of justice and truth, for as it will become evident in the days ahead, I am of a purer blood than this Elessar, and a nearer descent. I would stand for Gondor, and rid her of the evils which patrol the forests of Ithilien. I would have no more fallen rangers," Durnaur drilled his eyes into Lenar's, "I will have no more weeping widows, or fatherless children. I would have Gondor restored to full peace and glory. I deserve the throne, so I will not plead it. I will lay my case out and let you do as you will, but no King of Gondor, past, present or future, should ever plead anything."

Ending his great speech, Durnaur returned his gaze to Aragorn, with something like glee dancing in his eyes.

"Now, when may I speak to the council?"
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 03, 2009 06:28
Aragorn turned his head slightly away in disgust at Durnuar's "speech". Silently he wondered how many would be pursuaded to support Durnuar?

"Now, when may I speak to the council?"

Aragorn said nothing about the speech, nor did he let show his emotions.

"We can gather the council in two days." He looked at a nearby officer. "Captain Tenuvian will show you to your quarters, where you can reside while you wait. I take my leave." He nodded curtly, then turned on his heel and walked briskly towards the door he had come from moments earlier. He stopped next to Tenuvian. In a low voice, he said, "Meet me in my personal meeting room once you see Lord Durnuar safely to his room. Make sure Leiutenant Hadelf does not let him out of his sight."

Aragorn then left, went through the corridors, and quickly went to his desk, where he wrote a summons for the council members. He rang the bell then gave the message to the messenger boy who took it and left. He was halfway out of his seat when he thought of something else. He sat down and wrote another letter, this one to Faramir.

Faramir,

I suspect things to get worse with the appearence of Lord Durnuar. Come as quickly as you can, I will need you at the council meeting held in two days. There we will discuss who has more right to the throne, or deserves it.

King Elessar

He stamped the letter with his seal and handed it off to another messenger.

ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2009 10:37
Tenuvian nodded to his King and then turned to Lord Durnaur.

"Follow me if you will, my lord."

Tenuvian stepped down the large stone steps and proceeded toward the sixth level, Durnuar following him close behind. Durnaur would be staying in a private residence that was close to his own Headquarters and far from his companions. Tenuvian did not want him scheming with his entourage during the 2 days until the council meeting.

At last they reached the house where he would be staying. It was a small stone home, with a 8 foot wall running around it with an iron gate at the front. Tenuvian paused at the gate and spoke to his "guest."

"These are your quarters, my lord. If you have any concerns contact the guard at the gate. My headquarters is just down the road."

He gave a curt nod, and Durnaur turned and went inside. Tenuvian shut the gate behind him and turned to Lieutenant Hadelf and the two rangers who had arrived.

"Do not let this man out of your sght. Nothing goes in or out of these gates wihout my leave. Is that clear?"

Hadelf nodded, and Tenuvian hurried up to the seventh level to the King's chamber. He knocked twice on the large stone door.

"Enter."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2009 11:29
Durnaur turned and stared at this Captain Tenuvian as Aragorn motioned to him. Meeting the hard gray eyes, Durnaur took the time to scan the Captain's face and countenance. Something dark whispered through Durnaur's chest, swirling up into his mind. In this man's face there was the promise of danger, maybe even death. Somehow, through the powers of darkness, Durnaur could sense that in this Tenuvian fellow, he would find more of a challenge than he would have thought.

Stirring from his reverie, Durnaur nodded gracefully to Elessar, and murmured a quiet, "sleep well, my lord," before turning and following the Captain toward his new quarters.

All that passed in the next few moments did not escape Durnaur's careful and sly attention. While pretending to be completely oblivious, seeming to merely be enjoying the sights and sounds of Minas Tirith, he was really fully aware that he was separated from his companions, and placed within a guarded house. There would be no easy escape; there would be no whispered councils in the night.

Durnaur bit back a smirk. It was a good thing he sought not the council of men.

"These are your quarters, my lord. If you have any concerns contact the guard at the gate. My headquarters is just down the road."

At the Captain's words, Durnaur again eyed the man for a moment. Bowing his head slightly, he wordlessly entered the house. The instant the door was shut behind him, he began going over once again his next moves...

Aerdaneth listened intently to all that passed between the King Elessar and this would be throne usurper. Standing beside Eowilinde, Lenar and Tenuvian, she felt a touch out of place, but it was a feeling she was becoming adjusted to.

When the short and tense showdown had ended, Tenuvian led the tall, pale man away, and everyone in the courtyard breathed a little more freely. Aerdaneth hadn't realized she had been holding her breath for a long time, until she felt the pang in her lungs.

For a moment everyone stood still, looking at each other as if unsure what now to do. The King had returned to his den, and the challenger his temporary quarters.

Aerdaneth's mind churned slowly over all that had happened. She had very closely analyzed this Durnaur, and was unable to fully understand him. Not particularly skilled in reading the faces and motions of others, she was slightly more in the dark than her peers. He seemed to be nothing but kind, and graceful, if a little frightening to look at. He seemed to be somewhat like a sword, hilt end of which is glittering and cool to the touch, yet when it is turned blade outward, it is sharp, and reeks of death.

Aerdaneth's face was troubled with a frown, but sighing, she turned to her companions.

"Troubled times for the city of Minas Tirith, and perhaps for all mankind. What now shall we do, friends?"

Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2009 01:14
Arwen sat in her chamber, appearing calm now, at least on the outside. In truth the seconds of waiting were stretching like eternity, she longed to be at his side and see this challenger. She too would prefer a physical enemy instead of a spoken, invisible one. But she knew that she will see him eventually - he was too bold and persistent to leave after one audience. She suspected that before it ends - for good or for bad - she will wish to have him out of sight. But now, she awaited the return of her husband eagerly.

Finally Arwen heard the quick pace of familiar steps returning, heading to the King's private study. So good she knew him, that even from the pattern of the steps she could discern his unrest. Quietly she left her chamber and stopped before the door of his study. She opened it slowly and saw Aragorn immersed in writing a letter, the quill slightly trembling in his hand. He stamped the letter and handed it to a messenger and first then has he seen her.

She stepped closer to him, her elven feet making no sound on the wooden floor. Without a word, she embraced him closely, in hope to give some comfort and in the same time, seeking it in his arms. She had many questions about the ominous man, but they can wait, now she needed to feel his closeness.

A knock interrupted their embrace and she let him go hesitantly, realizing that he must arrange many thing now. She stepped slightly back but remained at his side. She wanted to know what is going on and to help Aragorn with all her might, by advice or just her simple presence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have no more fallen rangers... Lenar looked at the pale man and saw sincerity in his face. For a short moment he believed him - believed that this man deserves the throne of Gondor, that he should be king... But then Elessar spoke and Lenar shook his head. He remembered the first time when he saw him, leading the hoist on the field o Pelennor. He watched from the walls and admired him without even knowing his identity. Gondor has a king already!

Suddenly he felt his anger rising towards this thin figure that claimed to be a descendant of the line of kings. How did he dare! How did he dare to speak about fallen rangers to him! How did he know!? How could he know, that this is a sore subject to Lenar? There was only one way... Lenar's suspicions were confirmed. He was responsible for Galdor's death! He was responsible for... Lenar clenched his teeth... for him becoming a... kinslayer! If a gaze could kill, the man would be dead in the spot.

Then king Elessar left to the Citadel, leaving Tenuvian to guide the usurper to his quarters. Lenar followed him with gaze, his hand on the hilt of his sword. Aerdaneth's question jerked him out of his thoughts. He took a few breaths to calm himself.

"Yes, troubled times while this one walks the face of Arda freely..." he snorted. Then he composed himself a bit. "I should ensure order in the seventh level and wait for Captain Tenuvian's orders." He looked at his man positioned around the crowd. The people looked a little unnerved, but it seemed that the crowd will dissolve peacefully. He looked at Aerdaneth and Eowilinde. "I don't want to restrain you but I think it would be best if you stay here while the things calm down a little..."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 03, 2009 01:46
Aragorn returned Arwen's embrace with intensity. He held her tight, knowing at least in these uncertain times he had someone who would not waver. Just when he was about to say something, a knock sounded on the door. Must be Tenuvian. Arwen pulled away to stand by his side, hand on his shoulder.

"Come in."
-------------------------------

Eowilindë watched Tenuvian lead Durnuar away. She had mixed feelings. She like King Elessar, but maybe Durnuar really did deserve the throne? She was confused about the whole thing, really.

She sighed. It was too soon to make any proper judgements. Though she did agree that Durnuar made her feel nervous, while she felt comfortable with Elessar.

She listened to Lenar's answer. "Perhaps we can go to the King's Hands sometime? You still haven't taken us there." she said with a smile.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2009 03:30
Tenuvian entered the King's private study and found him and the Queen Arwen inside. The King was letting more of his emotions show here than he had out before the crowd. He looked worried and uncertain, and Tenuvian could certainly understand why.

Next to him stood the Queen. She looked as fair as she ever did, and Tenuvian was glad to see her. Seeing the pair of them together always reminded him of what he was fighting to preserve. This was his King and Queen, and he would do everything in his power to make sure their rule remained safe.

He bowed low before the pair and spoke.

"You summoned me, my King."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2009 11:56
Durnaur seated himself on a simple cot against the wall and waited. He listened intently for the squeak of hinges, followed shortly by the heavy steps of Halef, the lieutenant set to guard him.

Into the door way the man stepped, bowing his head slightly. His face displayed clearly a mess of confusion and anger. He had blue eyes, like the morning sky in the days of spring, but now they were clouded.

For a moment the man hesitated, standing in the door way, as if wondering what he should say.

Durnaur mastered a soft look of compassion as he looked up at the ranger.

"Your mind is troubled, Halef, my friend, but it need not be."

The man started visibly, as if he hadn't realized Durnaur could read him so easily--or as if he had not expected such compassion, tempered with bluntness. Durnaur smiled gently, standing and moving toward the man.

Halef stiffened, every muscle in his agile body going tense. His eyes, a notch wider than they had been moments earlier, watched Durnaur warily.

Durnaur lay his hand on the man's shoulder, locking gazes with the man. Exerting every ounce of skill and power he held within him, Durnaur spoke again. His face seemed to grow a trace more pale with the effort he was exerting mentally.

"I know many things, Haleth, and can see many others easily. You are troubled. I am sorry, my brother, for I did not intend on bringing such trouble upon you and those about you."

Durnaur dropped his gaze and sighed heavily...

...His hand rested still on Halef's shoulder, and beneath Durnaur's relaxed countenance, his mind was whirring with energy and a darker power.

"Indeed, if I had known I would cause such turmoil, would I have done as I have?" Durnaur continued as if speaking to himself,"...But I have done nothing out of spite. I only wish to come to the aid of my people. I burn only to stand for what is good and pure. As a father longs for peace for his children, so I have longed for the peace of Gondor...But have I made a mistake? In desiring and acting for peace, have I brought some worse unrest?"

Durnaur met Halef's gaze again and smiled wryly.

"Who can tell? Tell me what you think of me, my brother. Do I deserve to be locked in this house as they have done to me? Am I a traitor, a fiend? Have I showed any signs of aggression?...Still, I suppose you will side with them...It is what is expected of you after all...Silent submission is your lot. It is not your place to speak or act out of the wisdom of your own mind..."

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 04, 2009 04:40
Tenuvian come in and stopped right before him, awaiting orders.

And he wasted no time telling them. Aragorn said, "I need you to attend the council. Also, with Haleth watching Durnaur's quarters, and that leaves the rest of your regiment free. However, even though they may do what they want for the time being, I will have your three divisions rotate in watch. Organize watches for me, Captain. Also, tell your men that they will always be ready, in a moment's notice. Just because they may be relaxing doesn't mean they should relax their guard."

He nodded at Tenuvian. "Dismissed."
-------------------------------------

Eowilindë stood around waiting with the others. She wondered how long they would have to wait. But then, when she thought about it, they really hadn't been waiting all that long.

She turned toward Lenar. "You said you family lives here? Perhaps we could meet them?" she suggested. "It would be a nice way to pass this uneasy waiting for the council."
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2009 12:30
Arwen watched Tenuvian leave. Now they were alone again, but she felt uneasy - the shadow of this usurper hang in the room. She looked into his eyes.

"Aragorn... what happened on the seventh level? Have you spoken with the man? What does he want?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lenar turned to Eowilindë. "Uh... what!? You want to see my mother?" He looked almost shocked. "But... she is a regular woman! Surely there are more interesting places in the city for an elf then some common house... Really, there is nothing interesting to see. I can show you the gardens on the fifth level - it's said that the prince of Mirkwood helped to build them! Or the fountains... they are dwarf-made!" He looked at the she-elf questioningly.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 05, 2009 01:50
Aragorn sighed in response to Arwen's question. All of a sudden he felt exhausted - both mentally and physically.

He leaned his head in one hand before answering.

"There will be a council meeting in two days to determine the fate of who will rule Gondor and Arnor. There might be many more, for I doubt it will be decided at this meeting.

He's what I feared. At least, this is what I believe him to be. Right before my very eyes he was using well-placed words covered in the honey of innocence, all to stir up sympathy for his cause. Now, he claims he would be for the better of Gondor, but, but..." Aragorn sighed in frustration. "There's something else behind the man! I can't read it, though I suspect it to be nothing but greed and power-lust. Why else would Durnaur resort to trickery?"

He looked at Arwen, and what he said next was barely above a whisper. "And it seems I am the only one who sees through him and his ways...I feel more alone and helpless than I've ever felt before..." his voice trailed off.

Aragorn rose from his chair. "But please, melleth nin, do not trouble yourself over this, at least, not yet."

He smiled, but somewhere in the back of his head he could not shake the feeling that perhaps he never was capable of running a country, contrary to popular belief. Contrary to what Gandalf believed.
---------------------------------

Eowilindë was rather shocked at Lenar's outburst. Did he not want them to meet his mother? She must be a nice lady! The gardens did sound interesting, especially after he mentioned Prince of Mirkwood, and she crinkled her nose at dwarf-made, but she did not let the matter go.

"If you would rather us not meet her, then just say so, but I thought it would be nice to meet a family from the race of men. I wanted to experience that. For you must excuse me, I have never lived among men enough to know many customs. Perhaps it is not polite to see your family?" she said quizzicaly.

She looked to Aerdaneth for help. She really did not mean to mention something "forbidden", but she could not have known. In elven living, family was not an issue. Many a time elves had treated her mother like their own, and her theirs.

Thinking about this made her think of Amorfiriel, and a pang struck her heart. Eowilindë quickly pushed it aside and looked to Lenar. She hoped he would forgive her!
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2009 03:39
"Oh Estel..." Arwen stroke his cheek with her gentle fingertips. "I haven't seen this man but already I know that it's a dark purpose that drives him. If he would long for the good of Gondor like he claims, he would be glad that the kingdom is in your hands..." She took his hands in her own.

"It was you who rebuilt Gondor after the war. It was you who planted the White Tree. Where was he when you fought for her people and healed the suffering? You aren't alone. Tenuvian stands behind you - I saw it in his eyes. And his Rangers love you, like that unadvised young lieutenant. And you have friends that would follow you to the edge of the world... just like me..."

"If you think that I can be untroubled when you trouble yourself, you are mistaken. I'm your queen and I stand at your side, in good or in bad... my King."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lenar averted his gaze. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean... Of course it's not impolite. But I fear it would be impolite from me to lead you into a common house when you have feasted in the king's hall...

And my mother... Well, I'm sure she would be glad to know you. But after you leave she will berate me for not letting her know forward so that she would have time to clean the whole house and prepare the best meals... But if I let her know, then she will be nervous and stressed, running through the whole house to do this or that and I don't want to stress her so..." he sighed in his dilemma.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2009 04:06
Tenuvian left the King's private quarters and entered the large, stone hall at the top of the city, his steps echoing off the walls as he made his way out. He needed to get back to his headquarters and arrange his watches for the King.

Furthermore however, he needed information on this "Durnaur." Knowledge was power, and right now they were powerless. This newcomer was cunning, and Tenuvian didn't like how he bothered the King. Aragorn had faced down Nazgul, Trolls, Hordes of orcs, and even gone through the haunted mountain to raise the army of the dead. Tenuvian knew it took a lot to rattle him, and that only made his concern worse.

He finally reached his barracks and went inside. He found one of his lieutenants sharpening his sword and he spoke.

"Each company is taking shifts guarding the seventh level and the King's quarters. Nothing is to enter or exit that place expect the Nobility and the Tower Guard. You're company has the first shift, with the other two rotating in on the following days."

His lieutenant nodded, and he headed off to get his men assembled. Tenuvian himself turned and went in search of another man. It was time he learned a few things.

He finally found his man resting in a corner of the barracks. Gaius was was one of his best scouts...and spies. He was an expert at finding those things which were hidden.

"Gaius."

"Captain."

"It's time we got to know our guests a little better. Head down to their quarters and see what you can learn. Observe and listen at first, but if you need to, I'm authorizing you to "acquire" one of them for questioning. Try and make it someone who won't be missed."

Gaius nodded and got up, pulling his dark cloak around him as he headed our into the dusk of the evening.

Now perhaps, we will get some answers.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2009 05:43
Aerdaneth watched poor Lenar fumble. She would not deny that she held a great longing to meet his family. If his mother was as gentle and friendly as he was, she would be a treasure Aerdaneth would find pleasure in admiring.

Smiling softly, she spoke to Lenar.

"I also desire to meet this woman who raised so fine a ranger. Take us to her, friend, and I will explain very clearly that we compelled you to."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Durnaur smiled as he slipped out of the house and past the guard. Halef was in his hands now, if not permanently, then at least until his Captain got to him and berrated him.

Pulling his hood closer over his face, Durnaur wound his wy through the city. He met no eyes, and blended in very well with those around him--as long as they did not see his deathly pale face.

Already he had scouted out the locations of those he considered more prone to falling to him. The council members. He would search them out. He would, with cunning, with wisdom, with the power of darkness, draw them to him. Irrisitable. He would be the epitome of the word.

Another grin tore his face. His blood was pounding through his veins, his heart thundering in his chest. So good to be alive. So good to be at work.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 05, 2009 06:09
((OOC~ oops, adara! double post! and what a predicament for Lenar to be in... ))

Eowilindë couldn't help but laugh at the comical situation. Slightly embarressed herself, she nodded in agreement to Aerdaneth's plan.

"Indeed, Lenar, we will tell her we forced you to go! I want to meet her, and I'm sure meeting her will help lighten the mood of these dark times."

She looked around, then added, "I'm sure we can see some of the city on our way there."
----------------------------------

Aragorn nodded at Arwen's soft yet encouraging words. He kissed her, then said, "I'm going to go catch some sleep will I can. A quick nap will do. I reckon I'll be too busy later organizing things than to sleep."

Truth was, he felt wiped out. As he headed down the halls towards the bedroom, he couldn't help but wonder at his tiredness. You've stressed too much lately. he told himself. But that was the other thing that bothered him. Since when did he let something as minor as this get to him? Ok, it wasn't minor, but compared to some of the many other nerve-racking things in his life he's had to face! He knew something was behind this, whether it be stress or not, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

He shuffled into the bedroom and almost fell into the bed, but then decided to sleep rather in the chair nearby. Just an hour, no more... were his last thoughts as he drifted off to sleep.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2009 05:22
I also desire to meet this woman who raised so fine a ranger...Now Lenar was cornered, blushing slightly at the appraising words. Both women truly wished to meet his mother and he couldn't deny them their wish. But still he felt slightly uneasy about this. Oh, his mother will enjoy the visit without doubt, after she gets behind the phase of apologizing for her unpreparedness. But he will be in disadvantage with three women... and he had no doubts what they will speak about when he turns his back but for a moment...

"Good," he resigned. "And you really forced me, you know?" he looked at Aerdaneth in mock accusation. Then he looked around to assure that his men didn't hear their conversation. It would be slightly... embarrassing for their new lieutenant if they heard his dilemma about visiting his mother.

In that moment another ranger interrupted their conversation - it was the leader of another unit that Lenar didn't know personally. "Lieutenant Lenar, I have orders to guard the seventh level with my company. You and your men can rest until their shift." Lenar saluted. "Thank you." With an apologetic nod he left Aerdaneth and Eowilindë to give the order to his men.

When he returned to the ladies, the new unit of rangers was already occupying the position on the seventh level and his men were leaving to get some rest or spend time with their families. He realized that he is really looking forward to spend some time with his. When he returned to Aerdaneth and Eowilindë, he had a slight smile on his face. "If you still persist on your wish, then... let's go! Only... when we get there, will you allow me a few moments to tell her, before coming in? I don't want to shock her. Well, not too much..."

Then he led their way through the city, picking not the shortest, but the most interesting route, leading around the gardens and fountains. During the way he offered his companions stories about the sights they passed, some of them history, some his own experiences (like the statue of some old steward that, for some reason, reminded him on his grandfather's horse when he was a boy).

He stopped in front of a house on the third level, not differing from the other houses in the street. "This is our house... Could you wait here for a moment please?" He disappeared in the house and after a while he opened the door again. "Please, come in..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a while, Arwen stepped quietly to the bedroom. A sad smile graced her lips when she saw Aragorn asleep. He looked so calm now but there were new lines of sorrow etched in his face. Arwen was painfully aware that every new gray hair on his head seals her chosen fate. She didn't regret... but the human life seemed so short to the elf that lived thousands of years. Hollow years... without him - she reminded herself. Suddenly she felt hatred against the man that dared to bring shadow to the precious time they had together and caused such worries to her meleth.

Carefully she took a blanket from the bed and covered him gently. Then she sat beside him and sang a soft quiet elven melody. The air in the room filled with the fragrance of elanor and Aragorn smiled in his sleep. She stayed and sang while he slept and when he was beginning to wake, she left the room quietly.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2009 09:28
Tenuvian was startled awake by a knocking at his door. He hadn't realized it, but he had fallen asleep at his desk after dispatching Gaius out into the City.

"Enter!"

One of his men entered and saluted.

"Sir, Gaius has returned. He says he has information for you."

Tenuvian got up quickly and went outside into the main courtyard. He knew where he would find Gaius. Whenever he and his best spy had done things like this before they had always met in the old quarters 13 building, which was now unused and off to the side. Tenuvian entered and bolted the door behind him. Gaius was inside with some figure bound to a chair. The man had long hair and a darker complexion, as if from the south. He had a head wound to his temple that was bleeding.

'Who's this?" He asked?

"One of Durnaur's companions. I found him attempting to sneak out of his quarters. He won't give me his name, but I thought you'd want to talk to him."

"You thought right." Replied Tenuvian. The man stared back up at him, as if daring him to try and get information out of him. Tenuvian glared back at him, not bothering to hide the absolute hate he had for this man.

"Where were you going?" Asked Tenuvian planely.
The man glared back in silence. Tenuvian slid his greave down his arm and smashed it across the man's face. A splash of blood hit the ground to his side and the man recovered.

"My patience is thin, dear guest. You can tell me what I want to know, or I can beat you in this stone house untill you die."

The man again simply glared back at him again.

"Very well." Said Tenuvian, raising his armoured hand again.

"Fine" said the man. "If I help you, will you let me go?"

"Perhaps. Now, why were you leaving?" Asked Tenuvian gruffly.

"I was going to meet my master. We had a prearranged spot and time. He knew you lot would lock him up, but he has his ways. I wouldn't be surprised if he's free already." He hissed at Tenuvian, cackling as the last phrase left his lips.

Tenuvian felt a wave of panic go over him. This was bad. If Durnaur was free, he had access to most of the city, and Tenuvian did not want his dark influence spread any further.

"Where were you meeting him?" Demanded Tenuvian, gripping the front of the man's clothes and brining his face close.

The southern man spat blood on him, and Tenuvian hit in again, this time knocking the chair over. The man hit the ground and spattered blood across Gaius' boots.

"You'll get nothing more from me, Ranger!" He hissed, twisting his head to glare up at Tenuvian from the floor.

Tenuvian looked up at Gaius.

"Deal with him."

Gaius nodded, and Tenuvian turned and ran back to his barracks.

"Third Company! On your feet!"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 11:35
"Good," he resigned. "And you really forced me, you know?" he looked at Aerdaneth in mock accusation.

Aerdaneth stared back at Lenar as innocently as she could manage. A slight grin twisted her lips at last as the young man turned and attended to his duties.

Aerdaneth was looking forward to meeting his mother. Surely she would be as kind as he.

When Lenar returned, Aerdaneth and Eowilinde followed him on a winding path through the city. He proved to be a very good and knowledgable guide, providing information which was both interesting, as well as descriptive. Aerdaneth wished she had seen the city during the war, wished she had seen the forces surrounding the place like a plague of black death in visible form.

When they had finally reached Lenar's home, the group's mood was noticeably lighter. It felt good to forget troubles. Aerdaneth, still a trace removed from her Gondorian heritage, had not as yet been too far troubled by this Durnaur fellow. Being a very laid back creature, she felt pity for the men of Gondor--empathy for those whom she knew--but little more.

She did want this to change though. Her heart was restless as the sea. She desired a home. Too long had she sailed the seas without a dock to rest on, without an anchor to hold her fast.

Waiting beside Eowilinde, Aerdaneth sighed slightly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belderneth, the Lord of Lossarnach.

He was not a handsome man, nor was there much remarkable about him, but there was an intelligence behind his deep set brown eyes that proved him to be more than what he appeared.

Durnaur sat across from him at a stone table. He had made his way first to the Lord of Lossarnach, and was allowed entrance into the man's home. A few personal guards stood off to the side, eyes wary, but ears well out of hearing distance.

Durnaur endured the stare of this seemingly unremarkable lord for a moment longer, and then leaned forward, his eyes pleading, his voice dripping with openness and honesty, as if he were confessing his deepest ambitions to his dearest friend...not attempting to twist a council member to follow his dark plans...

"My lord, please, if you would allow me to speak to thee concerning this matter. I understand you may hold prejudice against me, for you have heard only lies, rumors spread with the intent of silencing the cry of justice and truth. But have righteous judgement, my lord, and hear also my own tale. I am not come to destroy this great kingdom, nay, I am come to rebuild it to a higher glory than ages past. I am come, dear sir, because I deserve this throne of Gondor. You will see this in the council meeting which is yet to come, but I had to speak with you first. The lord Aragorn would have me locked in my house and see no one, but you must know the truth...You must not attend that council knowing only the lies that have been whispered into your ear...

"...No, my lord, I do not call the lord Elessar a liar, I would not dare so. He is an honorable man, and were I not alive, were there indeed no heir from my line, he would be the just and true choice, and he would do well enough by this kingdom...But I do live, and I do own the right. Now, my lord, you are wise in matters of finance and trade...But there are many areas in which Aragorn could improve this kingdom. More trading abroad, more allies would be good for this kingdom. We have already Rohan as a friend, but what of our relationship with the Haradrim. I have brought with me certain lords of the Haradrim who would sue for peace. They regret fighting this mighty Kingdom, and were only pressed into it by fear and false knowledge. They could be such a valuable ally..."

Durnaur sat back, having poured out his tailor made speech to the man. Sighing slightly, he dropped his head.

"There is so much I could do with this Kingdom. So much poverty would be struck from this land, so many lives would be so improved. And you? You would be hailed a hero...To bring peace with our near neighbors, and an alliance which provides more strength, power, and resources..."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 12:49
Aragorn woke with a start. How long had he slept? Looking at the window he could tell it had been more than an hour. He got up and stretched then wondered at how tired he still felt. Why do I still feel exhausted? Indeed he had refreshened some, but still....

He shook his head and headed out. There was business to do and he had slept too many hours away. He made his way to his office, where he noted some replies from council members assuring him of their presence. Nice...but how many would be loyal?

What a question. A King doubting the position of his officials? It bothered him that he should even be considering the fact that some of his council members might actually be on Durnuar's side.

Aragorn sighed. He desperatly hoped Faramir could make it in time, his support would be most welcome. Funny how certain people you could trust your life with and others only your secondary pair of shoes. Faramir, Tenuvian, and many others he had fought beside. In battle, they had all entrusted their lives to each other. They still did. Others he had not fought in battles with, yet he still trusted them beyond a shadow of a doubt. What made the difference?

Perhaps it was that in everything they did, they put their all into it. Everything they had, even if it meant their very life. I hope they know I would gladly do the same for them....
-------------------------------------------

Eowilindë waited outside Lenar's house, wondering what was taking so long. Surely his mother wasn't that ill prepared?

Suddenly she felt uncomfortable. Here she was, an elf, in the middle of a community of men. For some reason many men looked up to elves and maybe even glorified them (some reasons she could see), yet at many times the two races weren't that different. She wished she wouldn't be treated like a hero out of some distant past. She really wasn't one, and her life was a wreck. All she wanted was to observe men's daily life. Was that not simple?

Then she thought about an aspect she hadn't before. Lenar mentioned his mother, but what about his father? Was he dead? She wondered about that, and thought to ask him later when the time was right.

She sniffed the air and smelt a wonderful smell from inside Lenar's house. She also heard some raised voices, more from a woman who sounded hurried.

She smiled in amusement. Lenar's mother must be rushing to fix the place like he had predicted.

Soon Lenar came back to the door, looking a bit disheveled.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 01:31
There was a scramble and the scraping of boots as The Ranger Third Company got to its feat. Finally when the noise subsided, Tenuvian spoke.

"First and second Platoon, head up to the seventh level and reinforce the guard there. Be ready for whatever may come at you. Alert the King as to the situation Third and Fourth Platoon, we will be conducting a level by level sweep for the Lord Durnaur. If anyone asks why we are looking for him, it is because there are dissidants in the city who may attack him and it is for his own protection."

"Fall out!"

Tenuvian hoped beyond everything that the informant had lied. If he got to the house and discovered that Hadelf had let this man free...it would not be pleasant. He trusted Hadelf, but the enemy's trickery may have overcome him.

Tenuvian walked quickly out of his barracks, third and fourth platoon trailing him, with first and second rushing up to the next level. He made it down the road to where Durnaur was supposed to be quickly, and went into the gate, rushing past Hadelf who attempted to say something.

The house was empty. Silent rage built inside Tenuvian and he stormed back outside. As he went across the small courtyard Hadelf approached him and opened his mouth as if to speak, but Tenuvian grabbed him and pushed him against the wall before he got a word out.

"If any harm comes from this man's errands tonight, it will be on your hands Hadelf. Now, until I get back you are to stay here and not much from this spot, is that clear?"

Hadelf nodded, and hung his head low in shame, unable to look at his captain. Tenuvian let him go and walked back through the gate.

"Fan out. I want a spread on either side of the street, We'll start here and go down level by level."
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 04:23
In the short time he spent with his mother clearing the dishes (she was just baking), laying a fresh table cloth and convincing her that the house looks all right and she doesn't need to bring that tableware for special occasions Lenar was almost infected by her pedantry. He had to take a deep breath to calm himself before opening the door.

"I'm sorry for letting you wait..." he apologized while leading them inside. The house wasn't big but it was clean and homely. When they entered the room that served as a living room and kitchen, a small rosy cheeked woman rushed forward to greet them.

"Welcome, dear ladies! My name is Marthal and I'm Lenar's mother but he told you that already, didn't he? And you should be Aerdaneth and Eowilindë, right? I apologize for the mess, I was just baking... If I would know that you want to come, I would cook something more... noble, so to say. But the cookies should be finished soon. But please, sit down..." she motioned to the table. "What do you want to drink? I have milk and fresh tea and I think there should be some wine, too..."

Lenar stood aside, as if not entirely sure what to do. After they were seated, Marthal looked at him and smiled slightly: "Could you bring the glasses Lenar? The blue ones, you know where they are..."

Lenar nodded and went to retrieve the glasses and Marthal checked the cookies quickly and turned to the ladies. "So... What brings such pretty ladies like you to the rangers?... And to the company of my son," she added.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lord of Lossarnach watched his guest with a neutral expression and his look was calculating. "And you, Lord Durnaur, can prove that linage you claim? Gondor had no king for many centuries. How is it that just when she finds her king again, another appears?" He paused for a moment to ponder the implications of this man's words.

"I must admit that Harad has a great potential for trade. But where exactly lead your contacts in Harad? Your intentions to achieve good for Gondor are pious, but pray tell me, Lord Durnar, aren't your means too radical? What you suggest as a solution is a coup d'etat. That makes the economy and foreign relations unstable. Is there no other solution?"

Lord Belderneth leaned back in his chair and laid his hands on the table and connected the fingertips of both hands.

[Edited on 11/2/2009 by Mirach]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 07:45
Aerdaneth followed Lenar into the small house, her dark eyes darting about, quickly taking in the surroundings. It was a small home, quaint, and warm. The smell of fresh baked cookies wafted on the air and teased her empty stomach to no end.

As for Lenar's mother, she was just as Aerdaneth had imagined. She had a plump frame, and sparkling eyes. A warm smile danced on her face, even as she twisted her hands nervously.

"Welcome, dear ladies! My name is Marthal and I'm Lenar's mother but he told you that already, didn't he? And you should be Aerdaneth and Eowilindë, right? I apologize for the mess, I was just baking... If I would know that you want to come, I would cook something more... noble, so to say. But the cookies should be finished soon. But please, sit down..." she motioned to the table. "What do you want to drink? I have milk and fresh tea and I think there should be some wine, too..."

"So... What brings such pretty ladies like you to the rangers?... And to the company of my son," she added.

Aerdaneth glanced briefly at Eowilinde before speaking up first.

"We each came to the rangers, I think on a different purpose. I myself had no reason, rather I stumbled upon your son and his companion. Much befell us in the forests of Ithilien, and I saw your son accomplish deeds of such valor that not many men could live up to. You should be proud of him, my lady, if you are not already."

Aerdaneth's voice dropped off as Lenar reentered the room. His mother turned her gaze up to him and Aerdaneth saw such love and affection, with a trace of pride shooting through, in her face that it felt to Aerdaneth like someone was squeezing her heart. What must it feel like to be so loved? To know and to have a mother?

Looking down, Aerdaneth had to blink rapidly to keep tears from staining her cheeks. Her face flushed red as she fought for control, inwardly kicking herself for allowing such emotions to control her. She was stronger than this. How could she show such weakness, let alone feel it?

Biting her lip, she jumped to her feet and paced to the window. Looking outside, she regained her composure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Durnaur was not caught off balance by the wise and insightful questions of Belderneth, the Lord of Lossarnach. While the man was wiser than Durnaur had expected, it was not more than he was able to handle.

Durnaur nodded, and murmured softly, "Wise councelors indeed has this King of Gondor, and ever watchful."

Leaning forward slightly, Durnaur lay his hand on the man's arm.

Physical contact.

It was of utmost neccessity.

Durnaur's touch was like electric, and yet subtle, so that the Lord of Lossarnach was hardly aware of the buzzing presence.

"Well spoken, my lord. You ask questions which are only proper to ask, and I will answer now in brief, but the details must await the council. You question my timing, and explain this I will...

"...You see, as a boy, I knew not my heritage. My father died before I was yet of age to remember him. I was given a name only, and no trace of the heritage which was my own. Raised by my uncle in the east, I was told very little about my people.

"I believe my uncle waited to see how Aragorn would lead this Kingdom, for he did not unveil to me who I was until only a year ago. We had recently relocated to Umbar, and my uncle took me traveling through Ithilien and the provinces of Gondor...I saw there, so much carnage and death. I had only moved West in time to catch the tail end of the war, and I fought at the Black Gate for the Free Peoples. But when I travelled Ithilien, and saw still so much death, and so much pain...I wondered that Aragorn did not stop it.

"I do not fault him completely, he has done well. But as soon as my uncle told me of my heritage, I knew I must act...I moved to speak to the Haradrim and have found them repentant and open to new ideas. My contacts are close to the leader of the Haradrim, and I have met with that great lord on a few occasions. He is friendly and welcoming to me, while maintaining his pride. We have talked concerning the future of these lands, and he would be an ally to Gondor, if only we would accept this friendship.

"As for my manner of attaining the throne of Gondor, I have done only that which I saw best. I did not come with the sword, nor with violence in my mind...I am come in peace, and in peace I will reign or depart. I will abide by the will of the people, only let them have an option..."

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 11, 2009 09:07
((OOC~ That's funny you should pick that name, Mirach. My mom's name is Marthel. ))

Eowilindë observed every detail of the house. In some ways, the house was not all that different from an elven one. In other ways, it was totally different.

The elf immediantly took a liking towards Marthal. She was nice and courteous. Marthal struck her as a person easy to get along with.

At Marthal's bidding, she sat down to a cup of tea. It was nice and warm, as were the wonderful cookies Marthal also brought out. Eowilindë could not help but eat one.

"So... What brings such pretty ladies like you to the rangers?... And to the company of my son," she added.

Eowilindë listened to Aerdaneth's response, and was silently relieved when Lenar came back in. Maybe she wouldn't have to answer Marthal's question. She really did not want to answer, for answering would mean telling some of her past, and that was too painful.

Instead, she sat in silence, watching and observing.
--------------------------------------------

Aragorn sat at his desk, writing more letters. It seemed that was all he did these days, even though he knew it to not be true.

His hand froze when a succession of rapid, urgent knocks sounded on the door. He sighed. What now? "Come in."

The messenger burst into the room, breathing heavily. Aragorn raised an eyebrow in concern. "They, I mean, Lord Durnuar, has somehow escaped the custody of his room." the messenger breathed out.

Aragorn stood up so quickly his chair was knocked over backwards. "What?" he said in a low voice. His mind raced with thoughts and possibilities. How could this had happened?

"Yes sir, all companies are looking for him." the messenger finished.

Aragorn stared at him for a second longer, then suddenly walked briskly out of the room. "Follow me." The messenger followed carefully, knowing his King was angry.

There had better be a good explanation for this.... Aragorn thought.

Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2009 12:08
(OOC: Really? I didn't even know that such a name exists... I know the name Marta. Does your mum read this? )

Lenar returned with the blue glasses and his suspicions were fulfilled. They were talking about him, he saw it in the look that his mother gave him when he entered the room. He sighed and put the glasses on the table.

"Thank you, Lenar. And I think the cookies should be finished now. Excuse me for a moment." Marthal wrapped her hand in a piece of cloth and opened the oven. A beautiful aroma flooded the room. She took the cookies out and arranged them on a plate. "Here you are. I hope you'll like them, I didn't have time to bake more kinds of them..." She eyed them nervously expecting their reaction after they taste it.

While she was occupied with the cookies, Lenar noticed Aerdaneth rushing to the window. She was looking up with her face averted from the others in the room. Lenar approached her gently. "Aerdaneth? Is everything alright?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Belderneth winced at the touch first but there was something reassuring around this man and he relaxed listening to his words. Yes, they had the clang of truth in them... But still... There was something that made him uneasy but he couldn't find out what.

Durnaur spoke again and the Lord of Lossarnach shook his head. What was that I've been thinking about? He couldn't remember. It probably wasn't important. But this man's cause sounded legitimate. Maybe he was right that he can bring prosperity to Gondor. And Lossarnach...

"I see the true-heartedness in your eyes, Lord Durnaur. Maybe you are right in your purposes... But still I fear that the change would be too radical... I'm not sure what to do..." He looked like a weary old man for a moment.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2009 04:08
The sunlight was warm on Aerdaneth's face, but she felt cold. Her heart felt empty within her chest. A memory of her youth returned to her mind, like a fog slowly creeping through the night.

Being scared, and hurt.

She had nearly drowned.

But her father had come just in time. In his arms he had wrapped her, and held her head close against his chest. Both of them were soaked to the skin, and Aerdaneth was gasping for air. Her thin little body shuddered.

But as cold as her body felt, her heart had been warm. Warm and alive with the love that passed from father to daughter.

Aerdaneth blinked again and struggled. How long had it been since she had felt such warmth? And what of the embrace of a mother? She knew it not.

Amidst these troubled and persistant thoughts, Aerdaneth fought for control.

And then Lenar approached. She felt him draw near before his face entered her peripheral vision. She averted her own faced and wiped hastily at a tear that had slipped through her iron grasp.

Aerdaneth? Is everything alright?"

His voice was low, so the others could not hear, and offered a tone of warmth and concern. Aerdaneth's dark eyes glittered with tears as they darted toward the young man.

For a moment, a deep struggle was fought within her. Pride fought passion. Something within her had awoken, some need for some strength beyond her own, but she fought it. Her first urge was to shoot a sharp comment at the young man, out of the pain enveloping her heart.

But his eyes were nothing other than compassionate. She dropped her gaze.

"I think you do not know yet how blessed you are, Lenar," she murmured in a low voice, her eyes darted toward the woman who had born and raised this man, "Not all are blessed with such love. Do not take this for granted, there are..." Aerdaneth's lip trembled slightly, "many who would give much to have what you have."

With this said, she tried her best to strike such sorrow from her own heart. Smiling wryly, she shook her head.

"You must forgive me, friend, I don't know where this weakness has come from. I would have thought more of myself..."
There was nothing quite lot spotting a whole in your opponent's armor.

And Durnaur had seen just that. Inside, he smiled.

Outside, his face only attempted a more sincere look. He met Lord Belderneth's eyes, moving his hand to the man's shoulder.

...The closer to the head the better, Durnaur... a voice like an ancient memory whispered in his mind.

Durnaur refocused all of his attention on the middle aged man's troubled brown eyes. His voice was reassuring.

"Your concerns are just, my lord, but I assure you upon my honor, if my claim does indeed promise to rip this kingdom in two, I will back down. I only ask, my lord, for the chance to see what the people would do. I have in mind that which is best for these lands, and if my reign is not that...I will vanish as surely as I came...This, I promise to you."
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email