Register

<< First7891011
Author Topic:
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Battle for Ithilien
on: March 15, 2009 02:28
Lenar shook his head at Eowilindë's question. He felt that he wouldn't find rest until the traitor will be free, but his body seemed to have another opinion. He didn't want to stop their search, it was like accepting defeat. But Gurthoniel didn't help them and they had no clue how to continue from now. And all of them needed some rest already. He sighed and bowed his head. "No, go to the Houses. I should go home. Mother will be worried..."

Aerdaneth seemed to head his suggestion, he watched after her as she passed around him. There was still anger and tension in her step. Clearly she made known that she doesn't want their company. Lenar didn't know what to think about it. He was too tired to think about it at all.

He wished good night to Eowilindë and then headed to the house that he shared with his mother.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 15, 2009 05:39
Aragorn looked at Tenuvian right in the eyes. "You trust Lenar with your life. And in essence, so do I. In my heart I know he is already doing so, but send a message to Lenar telling him to search for the traitor. You know there is one. Tell him to be cunning, swift, but patient. A mistake cannot be made, and only hasty judgments will lead to one." King Elessar paused for a moment, and briefly dozens of memories flashed into his mind as he remembered the times when he was young - when he had made some of those same mistakes he warned against. Those mistakes sometimes nearly cost him his life, living in the Wild. Thus he learned quickly to learn from his mistakes...quickly. He smiled at the thought.

Addressing Tenuvian again, he said: "Go and have that message delivered. Then do get some rest. You will need it." He nodded Tenuvian's dismissal, then he himself turned and went to his bedroom, while Arwen followed.

His mind was troubled, but he knew he needed rest. It was late already. Aragorn kissed Arwen goodnight, and slipped into bed. He was exhausted and fell right alseep.

Early the next morning he arose, and for a moment all he saw was the beautiful sunrays racing in through the window. Then a heavy cloud filled his thoughts as he remembered his troubles, just as a cloud covered the sun as if it knew his thoughts. Aragorn paused, breathing, then sighed heavily. This day must pass....hopefully for better and not for worse. he thought gloomily. He turned to wake Arwen up.
----------------------------------------------------

Eowilindë watched the sun rise, then paced for awhile still. She did not want to be too early, for Lenar needed sleep, but she highly doubted he would sleep late anyways, not with all this excitement. Suddenly dread filled her heart. Today is that council meeting.... She pondered over the possible outcomes, but it only made her more confused. What comes will come. So instead she concentrated on the traitor.

They would have to find clues, or, better yet, catch him (or her, she kept reminding herself) redhanded. If it was a her, it could only be Aerdaneth, for she was the only other one besides herself. And Eowilindë knew she wasn't the traitor. The thought flickered in her mind that it might be possible they suspected her, but she quickly pushed it aside. She had never done anything to make them suspicious of her. She hoped.

Gurthoniel seemed pretty suspicious, and according to Aerdaneth's report, not very nice to anyone. That didn't necessarily mean anything, but, she decided, it didn't help Gurthoniel's case.

Then there was the other countless lieutenants, captians, and soldiers. There's too many! she thought, exasperated. Well, she couldn't rule them out or count them in, so they would just have to be neutral for now. She put them aside.

Next was Tenuvian himself. But she highly doubted he was the traitor; the King trusted him too much. Then again, there were the tales of loved advisors who turned against their leiges. Nevertheless, she discarded Tenuvian as the traitor. Her heart told her so.

Then there was Rhys, the messenger. Now he was with them quite a bit. Unlikely though, seeing as that he was barely with them, and never in times or places in question. Ok, so he's out. She mentally crossed him off her mental list.

[iAerdaneth...[/i] As much as she hated to consider her, Eowilindë knew she must. Lenar was out of the question, so this left...her. As much as she thought about it, she could not bring any solid evidence to bear. And this is the way with all suspects...just more suspicions, nothing solid. She spat in disgust.

She got up from her sitting position she had assumed, and headed for Lenar's house. They needed to get a move on. The elf hoped that Aerdaneth would come there too, because she had no clue where to find her anyways. Not like she car---she slapped her thigh in self-punishment. How dare you think that way! she scolded herself. She's innocent till proven guilty...just like any other ranger. Besides, if she tried to do something, it's not like your not near her all the time anyways.

She ran the rest of the way to Lenar's house, fleeing her thoughts. She stopped and knocked on the door, hardly winded. And waited.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2009 06:19
A beam of sunlight streamed through the window, falling directly on Aerdaneth's sleeping face. Speckles of dust danced in the shaft of light. The horses were stirring in the stables, pawing at the ground and anxiously awaiting their morning meals. As yet, none of the stable hands were up and moving, it was at that perfect serene moment, so early in the morning.

To all of this, the dark faced Aerdaneth was oblivious. A deep sleep had long since overtaken her, and cradled her gently through the night.

The light was warm on her face, however, and the beast next to her was stirring. Consciousness returned slowly to her, and just as slowly, her dark lashed eyes flickered open. She stared up at the cobwebbed rafters above her. Inhaling deeply, she smelled nothing but horse.

Rista's mane was in her face, nearly smothering her.

Memories of the night before had not yet returned to her, only the comical side of where she found herself. A slight chuckle escaped her lips and the horse snorted.

Without warning, the gelding heaved himself to his feet, dumping Aerdaneth unceremoniously in the straw.

"Thanks," she muttered wryly, picking herself up and dusting off her clothes. She stared down at herself and shookh her head.

She looked positively frightful. Quickly she set to work on making herself at least look presentable. She let her long dark hair down and combed it with her fingers as best she could, before once more pulling the unruly locks back into their prison.

It wasn't long before she gave Rista one last pat on the shoulder and then slipped out of the stall. Slowly memories of the prior night returned, but without the anger.

Now there was just a slight, metallic taste of bitterness in her mouth.

She could not change them, so she shouldn't waste time and passion on anger.

Aerdaneth was deep in thought as she exited the stable, and so much so that she became aware of a immobile figure in front of her only seconds before she crashed into the man.

"Oh, please, forgive me!" she gasped, her dark eyes flying up to meet...

...Milky, blue eyes...

Aerdaneth's heart went cold. The pale faced Durnaur stood staring at her, unmoved. Something dark played in his eyes as he stared at her, as if he were sizing her up, reading her, seeing through her skin and into her soul.

She didn't like the feeling.

Or the man.

It was because of him that her new friends doubted her.

Scowling at the man, she moved to step around him. But he moved as well, blocking her retreat.

"Pray, stay a moment. I see on your countenance shadows of discontent. A feeling I once felt myself. Something haunts your beautiful face. Yes, beautiful. For if you did not guard your mouth so, it could smile gloriously, I think."

Aerdaneth was taken aback. She stood frozen where he had stopped her. He was too close, and she didn't like it. But she couldn't move. At his last words, his hand slipped out--nasty, thin and bony hand--and touched the corner of her mouth.

Still she did not move. What was it that made her so like a statue? Her heart was screaming for her to run. How would it look? To be talking to this traitor...

"Such troubled thoughts. They doubt you, do they not? And for the color of your skin," the man clucked slightly in disappointment, "What friends are these who would so easily mistrust you. You know you are not in the wrong, if wrong it may be called, but they would use you as a scapegoat of their own ignorance."

Poison.

His words were posion.

Very attractive poison to the wounded heart. Something within her reached out for the words. But then a flash in her mind, a picture she had not taken the time to view.

Lenar's face when she had been accused. She had hardly dared to look at him, but her eyes had for a moment touched his own. She had seen a moment's struggle, but then some hope for her had flickered in his eyes.

He who trusted so easily. She could not mistrust him back. Not until she knew...

"Flee back to the pits from which you were spawned, Traitor, you are not welcome in Gondor, not by these men, and not by myself."

With this, she turned sharply on her heal and made a quick get away. She raced for Lenar's house. Inside, her heart was sick, tormented by a mix of hurt, pride, bitterness, and a longing to see her new friend.

Would he still believe in her, even when rumor of her talking with Durnaur reached him?
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2009 10:47
Tenuvian left the King's chamber quietly with his new orders. He knew Lenar would be able to get to the bottom of things, and he would have to with himself at the council the following day.

He made his way back to the barracks and found his orderly.

"Muster for the entire regiment goes tomorrow morning. All units are to have full accountability of their men. And send Lenar to see me when he reports back in. Tell him its urgent"

With that he went back into his room and slowly lay down on his bed, allowing much needed sleep to overtake him.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2009 02:10
Lenar was at home. Finally. The scent of this house was familiar and he could sleep in his own bed. Almost it felt as if he has never left, as if Ithilien have been a dream. But it wasn't. The house was the same, the scent was the same, his bed was the same.... but he changed. He was tired, but he lay with his eyes open, and the sleep wouldn't come. He had to think about everything that happened since he last slept in this bed. He didn't know how and when he finally fell asleep.

The morning light greeted him, and he opened his eyes sleepily, the thoughts reaching his mind slowly. The traitor. There is a traitor among the rangers. And when he thought about rangers, he realized one more thing. The council meeting! It's today! And the rangers should be in the state of readiness! With a sudden panic he sat up. How late is it? Hastily he got up and looked from the window. The sun was already ascending on the eastern horizon.

Lenar realized he doesn't have much time. Quickly he dressed and rushed to the door. His mother was slightly confused, but he had only enough time to say good morning and that he has to hurry. In the door he nearly run into Eowilindë. "Oh. I'm sorry. Good morning. Don't you know if the rangers are already assembled?" he asked walking.

Then he saw another rangers walking in the direction of their headquarters. So maybe it's not so late yet... He relaxed slightly and slowed his pace. He spotted Aerdaneth walking down the street. He waved at her.

"Good morning! There is a muster for all rangers soon. Are you going there, too? And..." he paused. "well, don't you have some of those cookies left? I had no time for breakfast..."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2009 11:28
Aerdaneth dropped her frantic pace to a walk just before she rounded the street corner and came within eye sight of Lenar's house...as well as Lenar and Eowilinde standing outside. Struggling to slow her erratic breathing, Aerdaneth attempted to muster some composure.

Lenar looked up and spotted her, and called out a greeting. His voice was as warm and untainted as it ever was. Aerdaneth approached the two and stopped. Lenar's eyes still looked sleepy, traces of shadows haunting the corner's of his lips. His hair was slightly trousled, and Aerdaneth had no doubt the poor boy had flown out of bed and to that very spot without a thought to his appearance.

An amusing thought.

Cookies?

Aerdaneth looked hastily down and found the little bundle of goodies attached to her belt...just as she had attached them the night before. She hardly remembered it.

She untied the leather strap and handed the bundle to Lenar.

"You must forgive me, friend, I am quite certain they were smashed at least a little during the night. Rista wasn't so gentle a sleeping partner," Aerdaneth smiled faintly, "but they should still taste well."

For a moment Aerdaneth stood still. She struggled internally, unsure whether or not to mention Durnaur. Bitterness lingered on the tip of her tongue at the pain she felt inside, but there was perhaps still hope for her, at least in Lenar's eyes. To hide the truth from him would be to heap more suspicion upon her shoulders.

Besides, what did she have to be ashamed of?

She cleared her throat as the group began walking toward the council meeting.

"I came across the lord Durnaur this morning...he...he said cruel things concerning you two and the other rangers, and I...fled," Aerdaneth finished lamely.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 19, 2009 11:49
"No, I didn't know." remarked the elf when Lenar told her about the rangers assembling. Though she would have guessed as much. Lenar was quite a sight. His hair was disheveled, clothes slightly askew. Apparently he had been pressed for time this morning. Suddenly, she couldn't help herself, and giggled. "You're a mess. Can't expect a lieutenant to go to a meeting of rangers looking like this..." Lenar seemed embarressed, and straightened out his clothes, while Eowilindë reached up and combed his hair briefly to help. The hair was still laying in weird places, but at least it was halfway presentable.

She turned around when Lenar spotted and called out to Aerdaneth. She felt uneasy. Why do I feel uneasy? After all these times I've trusted Aerdaneth with my life, and now I doubt her. My how quick the seeds of distrust work! Even though she felt bad about feeling this way, she could not shake the feeling.

After a quick cookie exchange, they started walking to wherever the rangers were meeting. Eowilindë didn't know where she was going, but instead followed Lenar.

However, Eowlindë's eyes flew open wide in surprise at Aerdaneth's statement, and she stopped to stare at the woman. Lord Durnuar? Talking to her? Her mind scrambled. Why would she tell them something like this? There were many different reasons, some positive and other negative. It seemed the negative ones far outnumbered the positive. Well, wait to you have more information. Let her talk first.

But then a revelation dawned on her. "How did Lord Durnaur get out? I thought he was safely guarded in his room, like the Kind commanded?" Suspicion and worry glinted in her eyes. Suspicion more toward Durnuar than anyone else.
-----------------------------------------------

Aragorn sat at the head of a long, rectangular room. The Council meeting had not yet started yet, but already many of the members of the council were here. Lord Durnaur had not yet arrived. Wonder when he will decide to grace us with his presence? he thought sarcastically. Arwen was seated at his side, regal and beautiful beyond any mortal. As he glanced at her, Aragorn could not help but know that somewhere deep inside, past all the worries of this world, that he was really a very lucky man. He smiled briefly at her, and turned to the others of the crowd.

Studying the oval row of seats, he could see that Captian Tenuvian had not yet made it here either. Nor, he sadly noted, Faramir. But considering the late notice he had given his Steward, Faramir would most likely be a little late.

He resisted the urge to rest his head in his hands, and waited.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2009 01:23
Lenar took the cookies from Aerdaneth and frownedslightly whn he saw the small package untouched. "Didn't you like them?" he asked as he took two, offering the package to Eowilindë. Then he registered what Aerdaneth just said. He was shocked. A sleeping partner? "Uh... do I know this Rista?" he asked.
"I came across the lord Durnaur this morning...he...he said cruel things concerning you two and the other rangers, and I...fled," Aerdaneth finished lamely.
"What!? Durnaur?" Eowlindë voiced the question that was in his mind, too. How did he get out? The man was mocking them! "What cruel things, Aerdaneth?" he asked quietly.

Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2009 07:17
Uh...do I know this Rista?" he asked.

The shock that flitted across Lenar's face, in combination with his puzzled and slightly alarmed words, made it clear that the young ranger assumed Rista was not a beast, but a man. Aerdaneth, despite the dire circumstances they were in, could not help but choke back laughter.

"Of course you do. Remember that flighty gelding I rode into the ranger camp on? That is Rista. A very loyal friend, but he nearly trampled me several times in the night."

After her confession concerning Durnaur and their talk, Aerdaneth was pelted with several questions.

"I do not know how he escaped the guard, but I did not stay to find out. His words were poisonous and I would stand them no longer."

"What cruel things, Aerdaneth?" he asked quietly.

Lenar's voice dropped lower than it had been, and his eyes gently met hers. Aerdaneth suddenly felt ashamed for doubting him, yet a touch fearful lest her doubts were proven true.

"He attacked the loyalty of my friends...He tried to make me doubt your sincerity and cause me to think that you doubted me, thought perhaps I was the traitor..."

Aerdaneth's words were addressed to both Lenar and Eowilinde, yet she was fairly certain that the elf was unsure of her. This bothered her a little, but more so was the fear that Lenar did not trust her.

Aerdaneth dropped her voice until it was barely audible, fairly certain the elf would still hear her. She stopped in the street a moment, and the group halted. Turning to Lenar, her gaze locked on to his.

"Tell me now, my friend, where you stand? I must know or I cannot proceed. If you think you have reason to doubt me, if there is some shadow of mistrust in your heart, then, I beg of you, have the courage to tell me. I would not be with those who do not want me. I have come to be very fond of you, and this band of rangers, though some have shown clear distaste for me. But if you do indeed wonder at my loyalty, then I will leave you..."

The thought of leaving pierced Aerdaneth's heart. Where would she go? She would be alone again. As solitary a creature as she could be, she was not meant to be alone. Relative soltitude was a good thing, life alone with her father had been a grand thing, a very beautiful and serene thing.

But to be utterly alone on the wide face of Middle Earth...

Aerdaneth shuddered and bit her lip to keep tears from filling her dark eyes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Durnaur had slipped out early. The small chambers he had been forced to stay in during the night had proved a torture to him. If there was one thing he was not accustomed to, if there was one evil he could hardly stand, it was to be caged. Especially during the night.

He held a certain fondness for the night. It was when he felt most alive.

It was when he called out to Morgoth.

Whether his lord heard him or not, he was never quite certain. But he felt more powerful and more in tune with his purpose after doing so.

Locked in the chambers, his prayers felt inhibited. He stood it as long as possible, pacing in the stone bedroom with one eye on the moonlit courtyard. His heart burned with a fire, a yearning to be about his business.

The momen the sun kissed the sky, he climbed quickly through the window. Out across the courtyard he had slipped. The guards were easy to pass. He was a stealthy man when he needed to be.

Word had reached him of a bit of unrest within the rangers' band. They were now aware of his spy. Things must proceed carefully from this point on, as if they had not before. Suspicion must be cast upon others. No one must discover his informer.

So it was that he came to the stable. He found the Haradrim looking woman exiting the stable. With a very clear purpose, or manifold purposes perhaps, he spoke with her. And with delight he watched her race away.

But he paused to delight in the sensation of victory only so long before returning to the task at hand.

Now he stood before the doors of the council room. Taking a deep breath, he pushed the doors open and stepped inside...His milky eyes glittered...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 22, 2009 01:26
Eowilindë gazed at Aerdaneth, and saw fear cross her eyes. And her words....... Suddenly, Eowilindë doubted her no longer. They had more in common than she had first thought. They shared a common fear: the fear of being alone. Now that she thought about it, both had been alone for much of their lives, both had lost dear ones they loved. Eowilindë choked. Amorfiriel....

She looked at Aerdaneth, all doubt washed away. She smiled. I share your hurts too, human. Even though we are different, we are still the same at heart. This new revelation surprised her, for she had never dreamed she would be able to associate with a human this closely.

She watched for Lenar's reaction. The elf decided that as soon as they had some alone time, she would talk to Aerdaneth.
-----------------------------------

The doors burst open and in walked a very confident Lord Durnuar, sure that he would be able to walk out of here today a king.

Aragorn wanted to personally escort him off Gondor lands. And not so gently. Inwardly he scowled, on the outside he maintained a polite smile, which was empty and meant nothing. As he was more than sure Durnuar's smile was.

Out of mock politness, he asked, "Welcome, Lord Durnuar. I trust you had a good night's sleep." Though he knew it was far from the truth. No instead you tricked my captain, roamed my city, disobeyed my rules, twisted council member's minds and made the rest of my rangers skip their sleep on account of you. It was a good thing he did not show his emotions; he would be practically boiling right now.

Aragorn shifted in his seat. They were still waiting on a few more members, then the council would start. He had half-hoped Durnuar would be late, if only so he wouldn't have to stare at him while waiting.

He shifted again. What if the day turned ill? What if he had to relinquish his powers? He knew he would do it, but the thought frightened him. It frightened him that everything he had worked for his entire life would be thrown away. Everything he had to offer Arwen was gone. Everything...

Aragorn shook his head and forced himself to be devoid of thought.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2009 09:56
Tenuvian fastned the last pieces of his dress uniform into place as he walked out into the morning sunlight. He was dressed again in the ceremonial white and green of the Rangers, though his men would be in standard garb. He had left his executive officer in charge of mustering the men as his prescence was requested up at the council. As the commander of one of Gondor's largest military groups, he held a seat on the council along with its nobility and other individuals of power.

Out in the courtyard his men were falling into formation. He looked around for Lenar but couldn't spot him. He still needed to inform him of the King's new plans for him. The sooner he got started the better. But now he had to leave for the top level. He was getting close to being late. He walked quickly up the stairs to the seventh level and made his way into the council chamber. Many lords were already there, including Durnaur. Tenuvian let a dark look glance across his face for a moment, but he focused on finding his seat and getting into place. He sat down in his chair, and waited for the session to begin.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2009 02:53
"Ah. That is Rista. Alright. I thought... eh, never mind." Said Lenar with a sheepish look. He wondered why she slept in the stables. They gave her a bed in the Houses of Healing, didn't they? But then she spoke about Durnaur, and the question was forgotten when the name of the usurper fell, hanging like a shadow above them.
"Tell me now, my friend, where you stand? I must know or I cannot proceed. If you think you have reason to doubt me, if there is some shadow of mistrust in your heart, then, I beg of you, have the courage to tell me. I would not be with those who do not want me. I have come to be very fond of you, and this band of rangers, though some have shown clear distaste for me. But if you do indeed wonder at my loyalty, then I will leave you..."
Lenar stopped and stood unmoving for a while, looking into Aerdaneth's dark eyes. She asked openly, with an almost desperate expression. "In one moment..." he whispered, a deep regret in his eyes. "In one moment I doubted you. When Gurthoniel accused you... I'm sorry Aerdaneth. I know that you are no traitor. Don't leave because of the mistrustful glances. I need you here to uncover the real traitor... Will you stay?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen sat at the side of her husband, and her face was like a statue of marble when the usurper entered, showing the authority of long centuries of live entwined with the regalness of a queen. Cold and proud she appeared to everyone besides one man - the man that sat at her side and could see under her mask.

She studied the pale features of the man that entered. Now she saw him for the first time, and there was something around him that made her feel revulsion towards him. She could imagine him as a king. But it was a terrifying picture - a king leading his country into darkness. No! This won't happen. No darkness, but the light of Hope will shine in the Renewed kingdom. She met his pale eyes and let her eyes glisten with the challenge to fight. The council chamber was the battle field and words were swords.

[Edited on 24/3/2009 by Mirach]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2009 04:58
It was amazing how so simple of words could banish every fear and doubt within her to the furthest edges of Middle Earth. Aerdaneth looked on either side of her and saw in the two faces the eyes of friends, the eyes of those who had found a renewed sense of loyalty to her.

Even the elf.

Yes, even the elf looked at her with more compassion. No doubt, no lingering shadows of suspicion. No matter what adversity may come in the days that would follow, Aerdaneth would have at least two friends in the Kingdom.

This filled Aerdaneth with a feeling of power. Pride returned to her figure, lacing up her back and lifting her chin. A new anger filled her at the thought of the traitor.

"I vow to you now, my friends, I will do all that I am able to reveal this traitor to the world. I will stand beside you no matter what may come. But come, let us make haste. The council, I fear, has already begun!"

Aerdaneth's eyes lingered on Lenar's and she shot him a quick smile before turning and jogging up the street...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Durnaur's gaze turned slowly about the room. His pale eyes seemed to pierce flesh and so easily perceived friend from foe. Lord Caedus gave the faintest of nods, barely perceptible. Lord Belderneth's eyes twinkled.

Durnaur carefully ignored Aragorn's eyes, as well as the she-elf beside him, for a very long moment. The king's words he left unanswered for as long as he dared without becoming overly rude. Finally his milky eyes landed lazily on Aragorn's face.

Bowing slightly, Durnaur replied with a relaxed voice, "Aye, m'lord, I am most rested. Thank you for your concern and attention."

Every word rolled off Durnaur's tongue in a dual tone. He came across at once both whole heartedly sincere and haughtily sarcastic all at once. Piercing Aragorn with glowing eyes, Durnaur beheld that the man felt well the sharp dig installed in his words just for him.

Aragorn cared not if he slept well.

Durnaur was delighted to prove himself as rested and content as Aragorn's men could not possibly be on as little sleep as he had afforded them.

"However, I fear we waste time in such trivial matters. Pray tell me, may we begin the council? I detect the absence of some of your top officers..."

Just then Tenuvian entered, looking regal and very handsome in his dress uniform. The captain let a lingering dark glance fall on Durnaur before finding his seat silently.

Durnaur smiled at him.

"Shall we begin?"
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 25, 2009 05:28
Eowilindë quickly agreed. "We must find this traitor! While the council is going, we have the advantage of possibly finding him or her..." she glanced at Aerdaneth. This glance was not a suspicious glance, instead it was one of confidence. Confidence that she had a friend whom she could trust. "...while the others are busy at this meeting. It may very well be even one who sits at the council. To determine this, we must first eleminate those outside the council!" she said all this with intensity, like one who is about to hunt their prey. She felt eager, eager to find the traitor and hang him for his evil deeds. She felt exhilerated.

"So where to first, Lenar?" she asked while the trio jogged up the street.
--------------------------------------------

Aragorn did not flinch at Durnuar's gaze. At least Durnuar understood his meaning. It didn't improve his mood any. It seemed a black cloud hung over him, threatening him with negative thoughts and outcomes.

But the King's face remained impassive, letting others who watched him believe that he was devoid of emotion. He couldn't pretend everything was alright, and he couldn't show his true feelings, so he decided to remain oblivious. What a thought.

Captian Tenuvian walked in, and gave Durnuar a not-so-friendly look. If anyone was watching Aragorn closely, they might have imagined a faint smile, if they saw one at all.

And it appeared Durnuar was chomping at his bit, eager to get the council meeting rolling and him crowned king. Alright, let it begin.

Aragorn ignored Durnuar, cleared his throat, and addressed the council members. "You have been called here today to judge. Lord Durnuar here," - he waved his hand in the man's direction - "has challenged me for my right to the throne. He claims he has more right, and today, and possibly over the course of the next few days, you shall judge who is worthy for the throne. We will present our cases, then you will decide. Let Lord Durnuar begin."

After saying this, he glanced at Arwen and then sat back in his seat uncomfortably. He wished for Faramir's presence. His face showed nothing, but his eyes betrayed uneasiness and worry to those who knew him well.

So it has begun....
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2009 04:15
The King arose and spoke, and Tenuvian raised himself up in his seat. Arguments of heritage and blood would begin with Lord Durnaur making his formal claims of lineage. Tenuvian focused in on the man, but other thoughts scratched at the back of his mind.

Lenar was still out in the city, and he hoped his Executive Officer found the young lieutenant soon. He wanted him finding the traitor quickly. Every day of deliberations that Durnaur had that informant they would be waging an uphill battle against him. Tenuvian hated fighting from a disadvantageous position. Most of the war had been from that position, and the only real time he had pressed the enemy with superior forces was the re-taking of Osgiliath under the Lord Boromir, years before.

But the Lord Durnaur rose, and Tenuvian paused his mind and listened...
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2009 12:39
An uneasy silence fell over the council room as all eyes focused upon the Lord Durnaur. He had risen from his seat upon Aragorn's permission to begin, and now stood towering above the Lords of Gondor. Once more his gaze slid slowly from face to face. A dark fire blazed within his chest, flickering in the pale eyes set in his even more pale face. The veins in his head pulsed blue, sticking out from his skin in an obvious sign of his excitement.

However, Durnaur's face was silent and still. His lips held firm, not giving the slightest signs of the inner mirth that filled him. Such confusion on their faces, such insecurity breathing in and out of the room.

And all of this he had created. As a master artist, he had painted the white city with black fear.

He stirred slightly, pulling himself from his gloating reverie. He had not yet won. His dark powers were severely limited in the current setting, being unable to make physical contact with all of those present. Durnaur knew he must rely soley on his powers of persuasion through words and logic.

He had come prepared, however.

"My lords, may I first offer my sincere gratitude for your time and attention. I realize some of you were forced to travel from abroad to make it to this meeting, and I cannot offer enough thanks for this. You see, I have come to Minas Tirith on a single mission.

"The betterment of Gondor. I have made no secret of my desire to have the throne of this mighty Kingdom. I am quite certain word has spread abroad concerning my reasons for this, but let me make it very clear before I begin my case that my aim is only the furthering of this kingdom. I traveled her lands and I beheld still death and torment, poverty and sickness where there should have been prosperity and abundance. Orcs still plague the forests of Ithilien, a few Corsairs still harry the coasts. And every where, the valorous Rangers, royal guardsmen and footsoldiers perish.

"I have come to end this. I need the throne to do so, however. But in coming, I had also a legal right to back me. I do not wish you to place me in authority merely because I wish to do good for the Kingdom. Nay, I have the right to do so."

Durnaur paused and slowly moved around the room, forcing heads to turn to follow him. He liked making them move.

Resuming his position at the foot of the table, his eyes met each gaze one more time.

"The Lord Elessar is descended from the great Tar-Amandil, this we all know. We have no doubt of his ancestry, not a shadow of suspicion concerning his heritage. Nor should we have any. Yet there is another who, in my humble opinion, deserves the throne more than this king..."

"That other is myself. You see...Tar-Amandil had two sons, his first son being Tar-Elendil, and the second being Eärendur. King Elessar is descended from Tar-Elendil and I from Eärendur..."

Durnaur pulled up short and let the point cut the silence. Confused glances were exchanged between council members. Durnaur's eyes pierced Aragorn. Did he detect confusion as well? Perhaps triumph?

Yes, Durnaur had made a point which seemed to deem himself the loser. One council member chuckled. Durnaur's eyes flashed to the man as he spoke again.

"Allow me to finish my tale. For you see, the point I just made is all that you here have taken into consideration. It is a shallow, skin-deep point. It would seem Aragorn has every claim to the throne...Until you investigate further."

"To be quite clear, Tar-Elendil had no son. Instead he bore a daughter whom he called Silmarien. She was married to a man who was not descended from Elros, our great and glorious lord, and the line ran down until at last you have the Lord Aragorn before you. This is a somewhat hazy situation, but let me make it more clear for you. Ever has the kingship of these lands been passed from man to man , and yet the King whom you have all claimed as your own has his authority through the blood of a woman."

Once more Durnaur stopped, and this time the point sank in well. Faces froze, eyes darted uneasily from face to face...and Durnaur stood observing it all.

"Descended from Lord Eärendur, albeit a lesser son, I am come from a pure blood line. Man to man, my ancestry has been handed down until I stand before you now with every right to the throne of Gondor...I only ask that you recognize this right."
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2009 01:00
Lenar nodded to Aerdaneth and smiled at her, seeing the flame of determination in her eyes. "Thank you," he said to her vow.
"So where to first, Lenar?"
He closed his eyes for a while, wishing that he wouldn't be asked that question again. Somehow the others seemed to presume that he knows what to do and should decide their next course. Actually he had no idea where to begin with the search for the traitor, but he knew where he should be, and he didn't want to be late again - he was a lieutenant, after all. An example for his men... or that's what he was supposed to be...

"The muster of rangers," he answered shortly, already jogging up the street. Before entering the court where the rangers were assembling, Lenar stopped for a while to catch his breath and smooth his unruly hair... within the possibilities.

Then he stepped calmly into the court, and sought the men of his unit with his gaze. When he found them, he headed to them, but was stopped by Tenuvian's orderly. "Lieutenant Lenar, I must speak to you!"

Lenar turned surprised what the man wants from him.

"Captain Tenuvian wanted to speak to you, but you wasn't here and his presence was requested in the council."

Lenar sighed inwardly. So much to the example of punctuality... "What did he want?"

"He wanted me to give you a message." He softened his voice and whispered: "There is a traitor among us. Tenuvian trusts you and want you to search for this traitor while he is in the council meeting. And he says that you have to be cunning, swift, but patient. A mistake cannot be made, and only hasty judgments will lead to one."

Lenar would laugh aloud if the situation wouldn't be so serious. "I know. I'm trying to find him since yesterday evening, together with Eowilindë and Aerdaneth," he motioned to the women. "Thanks for the advice..." it cost him a lot of effort to not say the last statement with a sarcastic tune. When he thought about it, he was honored by Tenuvian's trust. But it didn't move him any step nearer to the revelation of the traitor...

"Do you have any idea where to begin?" he asked the orderly resignedly.

The man's expression was for a while as blank as Lenar's. Great. He has no clue. Just like me... But then he seemed to remember something. "I don't know it it can be of some use to you," he began hesitantly, "but if Tenuvian needs some informations, he get them often from this mysterious guy, Gaius is his name, I think."

"Gaius? And where can I find him?"

The orderly shook his head sheepishly. "I have no idea. Tenuvian told me once that you can't find Gaius. If you need him, he finds you."

Great. Just great... Lenar sighed and nodded to the orderly. "Thank you."

(OOC: ToRivendell, do you want to play Gaius?)
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 26, 2009 01:45
"Gaius?" Eowilindë asked as soon as the orderly left. "Surly if we put the word out that we need him, he will show." Lenar didn't look so sure.

She scanned the rangers gathered there. All held the possibility of traitorous motives, as well as being innocent. She sighed. It would be a lot easier if the traitor would just give himself up. But, that was not the usual case with life. Nay, they would have to work to find him.
--------------------------
Aragorn sat in utter shock. Surprise and confusion flickered on his face before he could conceal it. There has to be some flaw in his strategy! As soon as this meeting was over for the day, he would think on it more heavily.

Durnuar continued his laid-out plan, then suddenly looked Aragorn straight in the eye. It was all he could do not to avert his gaze. So instead he stared back, with animosity.

Vile lying snake! Twisting words and poisening minds. But even now he still couldn't shake the feeling of dread.

Yes, there had to be a flaw. There was a flaw! He would just have to think on it.

Suddenly Aragorn wondered, What is my argument? What do I have that would refute his? Doubt knawed at him, until he remembered Arwen's words. They seemed to be from long ago, yet she had only uttered them days before. "I haven't seen this man but already I know that it's a dark purpose that drives him. If he would long for the good of Gondor like he claims, he would be glad that the kingdom is in your hands...

"It was you who rebuilt Gondor after the war. It was you who planted the White Tree. Where was he when you fought for her people and healed the suffering? You aren't alone. Tenuvian stands behind you - I saw it in his eyes. And his Rangers love you, like that unadvised young lieutenant. And you have friends that would follow you to the edge of the world... just like me..."

He swallowed. That's what he had. His argument was the glory and splendor around him, that he had built. He had the countless men he had saved from certain death - men he had healed with his very own hands. He had the victory over Sauron, he had the countless times he had risked his own life for Gondor, and Middle-Earth in wars and battles. He had all those times he was hunted like an animal, yet prevailed against the servants of Sauron. Yes, he had much. Aragorn looked at Durnuar with renewed confidence. I wonder where you were all this time? Where were you when Gondor was falling into ruin? Ha! Did you help? No!

Aragorn knew he had a sound argument. But it would be convincing the council members to see through Durnuar's lies.

He waited for the council members to say something regarding Durnaur's speech. Then it would be his turn.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2009 02:03
OOC: I'd be happy to take on the role of Gaius. I'll have him find Lenar sometime soon.

Tenuvian sat patiently listening to Durnaur speak, yet was stunned at his claim. If it was indeed true, it was he, and not Aragorn, that would have the right to the throne.

At last Durnuar finished, and there was a long pause. It was clear the King was not going to speak yet, so Tenuvian rose ever so slightly and spoke softly. It was time to see everything Durnaur had on his side.

"I assume Lord Durnaur, that you have brought some sort of proof of this lineage, other than your word? We will need factual evidence that the line is as you say it is, otherwise, your claim is void."
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2009 02:54
Lenar sighed and turned to Eowilindë. "Do you have some idea how to put the word out? We cannot ran along the streets and shout that we are looking for Gaius, can we?"

He looked to his men. He could tell them to look for this Gaius. But what if the traitor was one of them? Lenar shuddered at the thought. He couldn't believe anyone that wasn't with them on the way to the city. That meant he couldn't believe almost anyone.

He turned in frustration. "We cannot ask the Rangers. Then where can we ask?" He thought for a moment. Where were the informations exchanged most easily? He smiled. "Ladies, I invite you the the King's Hands..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Belderneth stood up and turned to the king for the permission to speak. Then he said: "Your Majesty, Lord Durnaur, honored Council members. Allow me to voice my disagreement with Captain Tenuvian's demand. I studied the history of Númenor. Lord Durnaur's claim agrees with the ancient scrolls... if he is indeed from the line that he claims.

But, I ask Your Majesty for forgiveness, the same doubts can arise about King Elessar's lineage. We have his word, and the tokens of his heritage. But I ask you, can an lifeless object, may its history be even rich and glorious, can it serve as a proof for the purity of blood? I think not. There is no assurance that the object passed from father to son for the whole time of that line. It could be lost and find, even sold. No, Captain, I don't see an object a more reliable proof then a word. And I have no reason to doubt the word of Lord Durnaur... or King Elessar."

With a slight bow he sat again, glancing quickly at Durnaur.

Arwen noticed the triumphant look on Durnaur's face. She looked to Aragorn, and she could read his thoughts in his eyes. He and Gondor were one. Gondor was like a living being, responding to his touch and flowering beneath it. Dark times would come for the kingdom, would they be sundered. The linage was one thing, the old tomes and silent tombs. And another thing was the life, the blood rushing through the veins, the heartbeat the resonated with the heartbeat of the land.

Arwen smiled slightly at her husband and king, and stood up, tall and proud. "I, Arwen Undómiel, daughter of Elrond Peredhel whose father was Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elros Tar-Minyatur, the first king of Númenor, speak to you. Am I not closer kin to him, then any of you, Lords? Yet I do not claim the crown, for it is passed in the mortal line of our house, beginning with Elros.

But I ask now for the right to speak to you as my father would speak, who was a twin of Elros, and knew his mind and his heart better then any. He fostered this man, that wears the winged crown now, and he saw his worth and the pureness of his heart.

My father knows to read hearts, and I am his daughter and I have his gift. I, too, have chosen this man, not because of the ancient blood in his veins, but because of who he is. I looked at him and I saw a King. Not in heritage only, but in the very essence of his being. Didn't he prove his kingship by deeds? That is the proof that I believe more then words or objects, Lord Belderneth.

Didn't he come through many perils, neglecting his own needs for his land? Didn't he stand at her side in the darkest times, giving hope to others, and leaving none for himself? His hands are the hands of a healer, and athelas, the King's foil, responds to his touch. This is the heritage of a King, the heritage of our ancestress Lúthien Tinúviel and the Maia Melian who was her mother.

I, the niece of Elros Tar-Minyatur, value the proof of deeds, and I stand at the side of this man. If you look for the purity of blood, and at that, if it flowed in the veins of a man or a woman, then know, that the lines of the sons of Eärendil will entwine again in our connection, and I will give this man children, that will have the blood of Eärendil stronger in their veins, then any of the old kings." She sat down and put her hand lovingly on Aragorn's, and her eyes glistened as she faced the Council.

ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2009 03:27
Gaius sat quietly in the King's hands, smoking his pipe in the corner of the inn's common room. The place was close to being full of patrons, and many men sat around tables drinking and exchanging good conversation. Some were soldiers, recently returned from the far reaches of the realm. Others were regular members of the city whom he saw on an almost daily basis. Either way, the young ranger would come here at some point. That is, if he was worth his weight as an officer. Gaius knew that Lenar would need his help, so he waited.

----------------------------------------------------

Faramir dismounted his horse and raced up the stairs, skipping the last few to make it to the seventh level of the city. WE strode briskly across the courtyard past the white tree and approached the doors. Guards were everywhere, both of the Tower and of his former regiment, the Ithilien Rangers. He nodded to a few familiar faces as he passed them, and then paused at the doors. He took a moment to compose himself and his garb, and then pushed open the doors.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2009 05:19
Durnaur witnessed the speeches, both for and against him, ever on his feet. He towered above those around him at an imposing height. There was something of his noble blood to be seen in the manner which he carried himself. However, his milky blue eyes were not at all like unto the lords of old. Slowly they rolled over the gathered people, holding a masked hatred.

He had not the upper hand.

Yet, neither was he defeated.

The she-elf had a way with words. Durnaur cursed her with every foul word in the Black Speech in his mind, yet outwardly showed nothing.

Frustration was boiling within him. He realized now he had hoped for that which was impossible--a simply victory. This could not be had. Minas Tirith would not be handed to him so easily.

All eyes were turning once more back to him, and it was becoming obvious that he would be called upon to repond. Durnaur fumbled for words, his thin, translucent lips pressed tightly together.

How could he respond to this? He had no proof, yet neither had Aragorn...

The moments were slipping away, and now the gazes of the lords of Gondor were becoming demanding, impatient. Frustration and hatred boiled into wrath, and Durnaur's faced drained of color at an even more drastic level--if such a thing were possible. A thin white scar looked whiter still, becoming more visible in his rage, just across his right jawbone.

Suddenly the doors were flung open, and the Lord Faramir stood there, with the torch light behind him. His eyes were bright and sharp as they flew to Durnaur.

Durnaur breathed a silent prayer of thanks for the distraction as the council members' attention swung to this Lord Faramir.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The King's Hands, eh? So we shall at last see this tavern of which you speak so highly. Very well, lead the way, friend. I will admit my stomach longs for something a little more fulfilling than these cookies...if we have time for such of course..." Aerdaneth murmured to Lenar.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 12:21
((OOC~ I think we should end the session soon?? ))

Aragorn closed his eyes briefly after hearing Tenuvian speak. He felt like a burden had been lifted off him, knowing now that Tenuvian was loyal to him. Why he had ever doubted anyone's allegiance to him he did not know, but that's all he seemed to be doing alot lately anyways - doubting. Why do I doubt? Where has my confidence gone? Probably the only one who he had never even considered shifting their allegiance would be Arwen. Things would have sunk low if a King can't even trust the love of his life. he thought grimly. Aragorn resolved to never let anything get in the way so much that he had to compromise Arwen's trust and love.

The King sighed inwardly then reopened his eyes to focus on Lord Belderneth, who had stood up and started speaking in support of Durnuar. Aragorn grimaced at the way Belderneth seemed to add his name almost as an afterthought. Aragorn caught Belderneth's glance to Durnuar. Seeing if your new "master" approves? Absently he wondered what he would do with Belderneth and all the others who switched sides if Durnuar lost this little war.

Suddenly Arwen stood up. Aragorn cast a questioning glance in her direction, but otherwise did not stop her. If Arwen had anything to say, it would very well be worth listening too.

Stunned would not cover how he felt after Arwen's speech. He loved her, and she him. To see her love in her words is what caught his breath. Aragorn always knew how much Arwen loved him, but it never failed to awe him every time it was displayed. He caught her gaze, and smiled faintly, as if to say, And I too love you with all my being.

King Elessar turned back to Durnuar, the smile still on his face. Lord Durnuar showed no emotion, but to a trained ranger, Aragorn saw faint frustration and anger in his pale eyes.

The tables had turned. Aragorn had the upper hand, thus the faint smile. But he knew not to rejoice in this "victory" too much, for he had not really won.

Just when he was about to say something to Durnuar, the doors burst open to reveal Faramir. Aragorn's mood improved even more.

"Lord Faramir, welcome. We are glad you could join us, Steward." He added the "Steward" as a jab at Durnuar. Here's one more loyal to me and one less for you, Durnuar.

He waved his hand in the direction of an empty seat, motioning to Faramir to sit down. Faramir looked like he had something to say, so Aragorn waited.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2009 03:57
Lenar smiled slightly at Aerdaneth. Yes, those cookies definitely cannot be considered as breakfast... "Let's go, then..."

Soon they reached the inn. Promising smells of food hung the air as they entered. Lenar turned to the ladies. "You can have a breakfast while I ask around if someone has seen this Gaius. Leave something for me, please..." he smiled. Those cookies really cannot be considered as breakfast...

He looked around, wondering where to begin. He had no idea how this Gaius looks like, or who could know about him.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2009 04:30
Faramir took a few steps into the council chamber, and spoke.

"My Lords, I must request a reprieve from council until tomorrow so I may familiarize myself with the proceedings I have missed already. Forgive me, but I was delayed and unable to be here earlier."

With a slight bow he added, "You all have my sincere apologies."

----------------------------------------------

Tenuvian rose once Faramir had finished speaking, seeing the opportunity to gain the advantage over Durnaur. Time was something they needed, and he would take all he could get ourside of committee.

"I must agree with the Lord Faramir. It would be unjust for us to continue without him fully appraissed of the council's progress and past discussion."

He turned and looked at the King Aragorn. This was his court, and therefore, the final decision lay with him, whether or not the rest of the council liked it.

-------------------------------------------------

Gaius spotted the young ranger entire the inn, accompanied by an elf and a women from the south. He had counted on the officer showing up, but he had truly hoped that he would leave his companions behind. He preferred to deal with as few people as possible, especially when his work involved strangers. He trusted Tenuvian, but this ranger was new, and he had very little information on his companions except that they were both skilled in combat and had fought valiantly in Ithilien.

What he needed was to get Lenar alone for a moment to speak with him. His companions were of little concern to him, at least for the moment.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2009 10:52
Though it was but midday, the King's Hands was bustling with activity and noise. As she wove her way through the crowded, dingy room, Aerdaneth's eyes flew from face to face, wall to wall, taking in, and to a certain extent, admiring all which surrounded her.

She had never entered a tavern of any sort before, having never been in any city larger than a few houses and perhaps a general store. Oddly enough, she was not plagued by fear as she followed Lenar's twisting path through the room. The haggard, bushy faces around her were old, worn out, a touch grim, but not necessarily unkind.

The place was alive and bubbling, like a creek dancing its way down a hillside. Finally Lenar stopped and turned to Aerdaneth and the she-elf, explaining his course of action while suggesting that they get breakfast. The smells of eggs, bread and greasy sausage wafted through the air, appealing to Aerdaneth's empty stomach.

"Aye, we'll be here at the counter if you need us, Lenar," Aerdaneth murmured before turning and stepping up to the counter.

Eowilinde followed closely, her hood pulled over her head.

Aerdaneth made eye contact with the burly bar tender and spoke boldly to him.

"Be a good man, friend, and get us some breakfast, would you please?"

The man stopped midway in his course, his hands full of mugs, which were in turn full of ale. The dark, sticky drink spilled over the edges of the mugs when the bar tender slid to a halt. His thick, lethargic looking eyes became a touch sharper as his gaze landed on Aerdaneth...

That look she knew well, and it brought a shot of hot anger through her. Would it be so difficult, even to get a hot meal? Why must they continue to...

"Please, my good man," she said slowly, her voice acquiring a sharp and bold edge to it, "No need to stare at me as if I were a spy come to stab you in the back. Do as I ask without such prejudice. Our money is as good as the rest, even if my skin differs in hue."

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: April 23, 2009 02:36
Aragorn stated: "This council is adjourned due to Lord Faramir. The council will resume tommorrow morning at the same time." The King rose, along with his Queen, and they exited the chamber, while the rest of the council followed suit.

Aragorn and Arwen headed toward the dining hall, knowing Faramir would follow. Once there, they supped, and it wasn't until they were done that the King started speaking.

"I thank you Faramir for coming in all possible speed. We will need you dearly. Lord Durnuar is swift and cunning, I fear he already swayed some of the council members to his side, even before the council started." He sighed. Then Aragorn started to tell his tale from the beginning, all the way from the letter from Durnuar to the minute before Faramir arrived. When he was finished, he looked to Faramir, and waited for any questions the Steward might have.
----------------------------------
Eowilindë drew her hood farther over her face nervously. She had never before been in a tavern full of men. The stench of beer and smoke was strong, and she wrinkled her nose. The elf followed Aerdaneth to the counter.

Eowilindë was surveying the room suspiciously, when suddenly she was aware of angry words coming from her friend. She turned her attention back to Aerdaneth, and, quickly guessing as to what the problem was, put a reassuring hand on Aerdaneth's arm. It would not do for the woman to lose her temper in here.

The man stared a minute longer, then cleared his throat and handed them two plates full of food. Aerdaneth payed, Eowilindë nodded a curt thanks, and then the two went to a nearby empty table and sat down. The elf sniffed, then took a bite of food. She consciously checked her hood again. She wasn't sure what would happen if those in here discovered she was elven woman. Uneasily, she took another bite, hoping Lenar found his contact soon.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2009 04:15
Gaius stood up slowly from his table, making his way casually across the tavern towards the Ranger. He wouldn't be able to get him alone now, but he would later. He pulled the note from his pocket, and casually slid it into Lenar's pocket as he passed him. The Ranger didn't take notice, and Gaius walked out the door onto the cobblestone street, heading out into the city. The note he had left was simple enoujgh, and the Ranger would find it if he had any sense about himself.

"First gate. Dusk. Come Alone."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tenuvian made his way back to his headquarters, nodding to his orderly as he entered. He inquired as to the XO's location and if he had passed on his message to Lenar. All was in order, and he headed back to his room, sitting as his desk for a moment and contemplating the condition of things. He had untill tomorrow, to plan, and he started jotting down notes for the proceedings the next day, hoping all would turn out favorably.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2009 11:34
Whether Durnaur was relieved or annoyed that the council meeting was called to an end could not quite be told from his countenance. He bowed low, in mock humility, before the Lord Aragorn, his wife, and Lord Faramir. After the group departed, he sent his warmest smile toward those lords which he had made his own the previous night.

"Thank you, my lords, for your time and attention. I bid thee a good night, with every hope for seeing you on the morrow...Rest well."

Still smiling that honey sweet, deadly smile, he turned and flowed out of the room. He moved as graceful as a cat as he made his way back to his temporary chambers, well aware of the guard that followed him at a distance. He was not supposed to be left alone, but alone he would be when the time was right.

His mind flew as he moved, hardly aware of the cobblestones under his feet. He made his way mechanically to his chambers, stretching out his long, emaciated body across the cot that was now his.

Tonight. Tonight Durnaur would enact phase two of his clever plan. He had thought of every possible outcome of every move. It was very much like a game of chess. Carefully he studied the board, as carefully even as he studied his opponent. And with every move that Aragorn made, Durnaur planned three steps ahead...

Tonight he would sow the seeds of dark doubt..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aerdaneth settled at a table back in the shadows. Eowilinde sat uncomfortably across from her, repeatedly tugging at her hood. Aerdaneth's anger slipped away quickly at seeing the she-elf's discomfort. She remembered the calm, cool hand that had been laid on her arm.

Stretching out her hand in a rare sign of affection, Aerdaneth grabbed and squeezed Eowilinde's hand.

"Be at ease, friend, these places were made for men to hide," Aerdaneth dropped her voice so only the elf could hear her, a twinkle dancing in her dark eyes, "...and I daresay elves as well."

Releasing the elf's hand, Aerdaneth began to eat. Slowly she ate, rolling the odd, and rather greasy, flavors over her tongue repeatedly. Her stomach was grateful, no matter what her mouth thought of the strange fare. Ever did Aerdaneth's eyes roam the tavern, falling on face after face, examining walls and dingy paintings.

Her eyes sought Lenar, but she could not spot him amongst the crowds. Realizing he may need some breakfast, Aerdaneth hailed a server and requested another plate of food, as well as two mugs of ale. After casting a dark glance at the two women, the server nodded curtly and disappeared in the crowd...

Moments later he returned with all that she had requested, setting it on the table, taking the pay required and slipping away just as quickly as he had come. Aerdaneth stared at one of the mugs of ale and moved it closer. Leaning over it, she inhaled slowly. It was a sharp odor that met her nose, not horrid, but a little unpleasant.

Aerdaneth's eyes danced once more, excited by the noise, and all that was so new to her. Meeting the elf's quizzical gaze, Aerdaneth grinned.

"I will admit I am very curious concerning this drink. Never tasted droughts of this design. Come, let us be adventurous and bold!"

With that said, she tipped the mug up and took a huge gulp of the dark liquid. It hit her throat like fire and she immediately started coughing. Struck with the comedy of the situation, she struggled to breath through the laughter and the coughing. She felt the drink burn its way down through her body, her fingertips and toes beginning to tingle. Finally catching her breath, Aerdaneth shoved the mug at Eowilinde.

"Your turn."
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2009 11:19
Lenar made his way through the tavern, asking for a man called Gaius. Nobody of the patrons knew that name or that man, and after a while he realized that next asking is futile. If the rumors about Gaius are true, then he wouldn't let himself to be found when he doesn't want to. So either he doesn't want to be found, or he really isn't here. What would he do here, after all? Lenar sighed and made his way back to the table where the two women were having their late breakfast.

Seeing the mugs on the table, he smiled. "They brew the strongest ale in Minas Tirith here. It's called Dragon's Breath. Do you like it?"

There were three plates on the table, one untouched. "You ordered me a breakfast?" he asked. "I'm most grateful, ladies!" he said with a very heartfelt (and hungry) expression in his face, and began eating immediately.

Between the mouthfuls he told them that he didn't find Gaius here, and admitted that he has no idea where to look for him. They were in a dead end even before they began... Thinking about that, Lenar gradually lost his appetite, and he didn't finish the food.

"May I?" he asked shyly, and took a big gulp from the ale, as if he could drown his worries in it. Then he sighed, and searched in his pocket for coins to pay for their breakfast. But he found there something else - a piece of paper that wasn't there before. Frowning confusedly, he took it out, and looked at it.

First Gate. Dusk. Come alone.

His jaw dropped. Was it a note from the mysterious Gaius? Lenar was not successful in finding him... but that doesn't mean that Gaius didn't find him... Without a word, he handed the note to Aerdaneth and Eowilindë, clearly uncertain what to do. Wasn't it a trap?

[Edited on 28/4/2009 by Mirach]
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: April 28, 2009 07:19
Aragorn paced the balcony to his room. He felt uneasy and unsure. Arwen had gone somewhere, he couldn't remember. As he paced, it seemed like the balcony got smaller and smaller, and suddenly he knew he had to go somewhere.

Aragorn glanced at the black sky; the stars were veiled by clouds, and the moon eerily peeked from behind them. Then he exited the balcony and found his way into the many halls of Minas Tirith.

He continued to simply walk, having no destination in mind. He wasn't lost, yet he couldn't recollect where'd he been previously, so deep in thought he had been. He looked up and saw he had wandered to the pinnacle of the city. He walked over to the side and looked over. So much history was written on those fields.

Aragorn stared into the night, letting his memories remind him of that which was long gone.
---------------------------------
Eowilindë eyes the mug suspiciously. She had never drunk ale, not even Elven draught. Now she wasn't sure she wanted to taste it, considering what it did to Aerdaneth. Yet she grabbed the mug tentatively, and slowly raised it to her lips. Then she tipped the mug and let the liquid run down her throat.

It didn't affect her as bad as she thought it would. She blinked in surprise at the feeling, but otherwise nothing happened. Men's ale must not be as strong as Elven. She looked at Aerdaneth and laughed at the idiocy of the whole situation.

Lenar came over to their table, and looked dejected. Eowilindë frowned. Apparently this Gaius was either pulling a mean joke, or didn't keep his word. She vowed Gaius would hear a piece of her mind about this if she ever found him. Yet then, Lenar found a myserious note in his pocket.

They all looked at each other, wondering the same thing: Is it a trap?

Eowilindë looked at Lenar and spoke, "It does sound suspicious, like most everything does these days. But if I were Gaius, I also would not want unnecessary members of a party hearing what I had to say.

"If it helps you any, Lenar, perhaps I could follow you at a safe distance? We elves are known for our stealth; Gaius would not see me unless I permitted him to."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2009 11:48
At the pinnacle of the city the King of the lands of Gondor stood, leaning against the cold, stone wall. His face was clouded with deep thoughts, and his caution thrown off by said thoughts.

Durnaur moved across the cobbled stones with silent grace. The only noise he made was the faint whisper of fabric against fabric. The shadows wrapped themselves around him like a warm, comforting embrace. The darkness was more his friend than any other man's. He felt at home here, even in the city of Minas Tirith. There were shadows here just as there were in his homeland.

And he loved it.

Suddenly he stepped up beside the Lord Aragorn, jerking him from his dark reverie. Flickers of surprise danced in the King's eyes as Durnaur stared with pale, gleaming eyes across the Fields of Pelannor. He did not meet the King's surprised gaze, only stared across the fields. Leaning his lanky frame against the wall, Durnaur still towered above the King Elessar. His thin, gnarled hands wrapped around the edge of the wall.

"Do you remember the days of war, when Sauron's darkness clouded all traces of happiness? What was your life then, Aragorn, who were you then? A ranger. A shadow in the night, ashamed of the blood in your veins..."

Durnaur turned his head slightly so that his eyes, pale blue like a liquid moon, could meet the king's.

"...Even then you were filled with doubts. Always, perhaps, you have known in your secret heart of hearts that this was not your lot. This was not your fate. Your blood is not strong enough, your line not pure enough. In the end, that which you cling to so desperately, that which you refuse to release, will be torn from your grasp, and you will find yourself where the Lord Isildur found himself. Alone. Empty. A miserable failure who caused only damage and death to those around him..."

Durnaur paused and sighed heavily. He turned his body completely, facing Aragorn in a man to man, friend to friend way. Laying a thin, pale hand on the King's shoulder, close to his neck, Durnaur felt the man's rapid pulse under his fingers. While still focusing on Aragorn's eyes, his mind beat in cadence with the king's pulse.

Doubts.

Darkness.

Fears wrapping around your chest, squeezing, pulling, tugging you down until you feel that you cannot breathe, cannot move...

Durnaur spoke again, his voice a low whisper, soft and gentle as a mother's tone...

"Come now, my friend, you were given charge of these lands to see her through the transitional period. Release that which was never really yours...remember Isildur and beware, Aragorn. Listen to that deepest part of your soul and hear me out...I swear to you I will stand by Gondor, I will protect her and love her as an only child..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lenar's face brightened momentarily upon finding that they had order his breakfast. Aerdaneth couldn't help but smile back at him. But as he took his seat, his shoulders slumped in defeat, and Aerdaneth's smile faded. Her gaze scanned the crowds again...

Where was Gaius??

Then Lenar discovered the note. Aerdaneth took it from his hands and stared at the scrawled script. A trap? Perhaps. But was it really Gaius?

"If it helps you any, Lenar, perhaps I could follow you at a safe distance? We elves are known for our stealth; Gaius would not see me unless I permitted him to."

Aerdaneth mulled over the she-elf's suggestion, taking another long draught of the Dragon's Breath. It was not as striking now, but still burned down her throat.

"Were you a man, I would strongly advise against this," Aerdaneth murmured, "Gaius is both wise and wary...any other man and he would sense your presence...But seeing as he does not know...who you truly are...he may not sense or hear you. The decision is your's,Lenar, but I would think it would be best. We must have some protection for you...sadly I cannot offer you this."
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2009 11:50
Tenuvian rose from his desk, having completed the large stack of paperwork that came with being a regimental commander. He walked out of his office, strapping on his blade as he went, and nodding to his orderly still sitting outside his door.

Two of his companies will still in garrison, with one other up at the seventh level, and the other patrolling the city ensuring public order. These were bolstered by the standard troops that were always in the city. All in all, security was good. Tenuvian had posted four extra guards in civilian clothes around Durnaur's residence to make sure he didn't leave again. Still, he was anxious. The council was not going as well as he had hoped, and it was only the first day.

He stepped out into the sunlight, considering the courtyard where he had stood so many times. He could still remember when smoke from the lower levels had been billowing through, just a few years ago. But he pulled himself back from his memories, and started walking back up to the seventh level to report to the king.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaius arrived at the first gate. It was not late enough in the day, and it was bustling with people. He took a seat on a bench and stretched out his legs. It would be some time before Lenar made it down, but he had patience, and he would wait.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2009 11:35
Lenar bit his lip, thinking. "I will go there," he looked to Eowilindë. "But I don't want to endanger you. Gaius - if the note is indeed from Gaius - doesn't want someone else to hear his informations. It would be dishonorable to break the condition. But in case that it's not Gaius, or that he isn't on our side... I would be most grateful for your company. Maybe... could you keep a distance where you will see us, but out of earshot?"

Then he turned to Aerdaneth. "What will you do in that time? Do you have somewhere to go? If you want, my mother would be glad to see you again..."

The next few hours he was very nervous, seeing traitors in every shadow. And the dusk was nearing...

With the sun sinking to the horizon, Lenar made his way to the First Gate, wondering what awaits him there.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: April 29, 2009 04:00
Aragorn was deep in thought, then startled when suddenly Lord Durnuar was beside him. Briefly he wondered why he didn't hear him coming up, then scolded himself for being to lax. Alarm grew in him. His senses screamed that something was not right. Yet it seemed like he couldn't move. "Lord Durnuar..."

Aragorn listened to his words, words that he knew must be a lie, yet he couldn't resist. Words that seemed to bare his soul.... Aragorn could not help but stare at the man. The warning voice in his head seemed distant, muddled and clouded by those words that made sense. Words that seemed to make sense.... No, this is all wrong! Yet he could not shake himself. You should walk away! Why is this man even here? Run, run far away! But his feet were frozen to the ground. Failure...

Then suddenly Durnuar reached a hand up and touched his neck. Alarm cursed through his body, and dimly he remembered a rule of the ranger: Never let anyone get close enough to touch you. He nearly moved out of Durnuar's grasp; nearly pushed the hand away. But something stopped him. Darkness. Fear gripped him. At first he did not know why, but then doubt come crashing down on him, and he struggled to breath. I can't do this. I could never do this. I'm doomed to fail. It's in my blood... Aragorn briefly closed his eyes; he felt like he was about to be squashed by darkness, and breathing was difficult.

Failure, deceit, unworthy, LIES. Something clicked and Aragorn suddenly swiped that vile hand away. "Get away from me." he snarled in a low voice, and stalked away. He nearly ran to the halls, but made himself walk quickly. He got to the safety of the hallways, near his bedroom, and sagged against the wall. His heart raced and his pulse beat fast.

Aragorn closed his eyes and tried to battle the overwhelming darkness that settled over him; darkness that whispered what a failure he was.
------------------------------------------------------

Eowilindë nodded to Lenar. "You forget, Lenar, that we elves have better hearing and sight than you men do. I can stay far back from Gaius and still hear every word." She smiled coyly at him. "Lead the way, Lenar, and I will follow. You won't even know where I am."

After a few hours, the sun started to fall, and dusk was approaching. Lenar led the way to the gate, and Eowilindë followed, using the shadows to her advantage. Not even the beasts of the air noted her passage, for none could hear nor see her, for that is the way of the elves.

Eowilindë watched Lenar from a distance, arrow nocked and ready to fly, just in case.
<< First7891011
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email