Register

<< First7891011
Author Topic:
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Battle for Ithilien
on: April 30, 2009 12:24
When at last reason broke through Durnaur's vise, the pale eyed man was not disappointed. To be quite honest, he had expected such resistance a few moments before...Durnaur did have powers beyond that of the average man, but even these powers had restraints. He could not hold one so strong willed as the Lord Aragorn for longer than a few moments...

A sick grin twisted the corners of Durnaur's lips.

He did not need to hold him there...the effects of his touch, his will, and his darkness would last long after the physical conact was broken.

Slinking off into the shadows, Durnaur could not keep the smile from dancing on his features. A fierce, pale fire danced in his eyes.

Aragorn would get little sleep that night--or that which he did would be tormented by darkest nightmares.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aerdaneth left the she-elf and young lieutenant as the sunset drew nearer. Casting one last wistful glance over her shoulder, she headed toward Lenar's old home.

She could not deny that she felt a trace of loneliness returning to her. She longed to be of service again, but there was nothing she could do yet. She was useless.

Knocking softly on the wooden door, Aerdaneth stepped into Marthal's home. A fire burned cozily in the ancient fireplace, and the smell of a hot meal danced invitingly on the air. Marthal looked surprise as she rushed to take Aerdaneth's cloak.

"Goodness, goodness, come on in, my child. I hope the day went well for you and my son, and that other woman. Oh, but where are the others?"

Aerdaneth sank wearily into a chair.

"They are tending to some business which Lenar did not finish in the day. They should not be gone terribly long, or at least I think not, though I could be wrong. Lenar sends his love and greetings, and bid me come keep you company as it seems I am useless on his current task."

Perhaps there was some defeated ring to Aerdaneth's voice, or perhaps Marthal caught onto the subtlest signs of dejected loneliness clinging to the corners of her lips. But either way, the plump woman settled next to Aerdaneth and reached for her hand, squeezing it warmly.

"Be of good cheer, darling, I'm sure I'm not the best company in Middle Earth, but I will try to entertain you. You must be hungry, let me get you some dinner. The nights grow cold still, and we can't have you cold and hungry."

Jumping up to bring said food, Marthal paused at the door of the kitchen. Her eyes twinkled with some secret merriness as she met Aerdaneth's gaze.

"And I do not think you are useless to my Lenar. Whether you realize it or not, he thinks very highly of you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2009 12:45
Gaius vanished into the shadows as dusk fell, pulling his dark cloak about him, He withdrew himself into an alleyway not visible from the main street, and waited. Soon the people faded away and went to their homes, and the main gate creaked closed. Darkness settled, and the cold of the night gripped all.

Gaius waited patiently. He had a plan for this Lenar, but it was for only him. That was how he worked; with servants of the king and them alone. The ranger was new, and may have had someone follow him, friend or foe, and that was not a chance he was not prepared to take. He would get his attention and then get him out of this area as quickly as possible to shake any followers. He knew the city like no other, and he knew how to lose someone in a hearbeat.

Soon he spotted the ranger walking slowly down the cobblestone road toward the courtyard. He dropped a pebble from his hand, a trick he had used before to get a person's attention. The ranger noticed it and stopped, looking into the shadows near Gaius. He let his cloak flutter briefly for a moment so as the ranger would notice the shift in the shadow, and then withdrew further into the ally.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tenuvian walked through the long halls of the royal chambers, passing his own gaurds as he made his way to the King's chambers. He had to give the usual report on the day's activites. He arrived at the king's chamber only to find the door ajar, and froze.

This was wrong. This door was never open.

Tenuvian quited his steps and entered the room, looking warily around for any source of trouble. What he saw confused him even more however. No assassin lurked in the shadows, or anywhere for that matter. The room was completely empty.

Tenuvian hurried out of the room quickly and rushed down the hallway. He paused at the end and asked the gaurds of the King's wherabouts. They indicated he should be in his quarters, but he was obviously not there. Tenuvian bolted outside and headed for his headquarters. He needed to get his reserve company up and at the ready immidiately.

Then something caught his eye. Out at the pinnacle of the city stood a lone figure, staring out over the pellenor fields. Tenuvian relaxed. Surely his king had just gone out quietly to look at the city. He was a ranger after all, and could easily have gotten past the gaurds without their seeing him.

Tenuvian made his way towards the figure but paused about twenty feet away. The figure was not his king, but the Lord Durnar.

But.....how?? He wondered.

For tge second time in as many days Durnaur had made it past his gaurds and into a restricted area. It was time for some answers, and possibly a "permenant" solution to this persistant problem.

Tenuvian drew his blade, getting Durnuar's attention, and walked towards him.

"What brings you up to this perilous height, my lord?"

[Edited on 3/5/2009 by ToRivendell]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2009 01:18
At the slightest of noises, Durnaur turned to find the Captain of the Rangers drawing near. There was some dangerous light flickering in those grey eyes, something hard. Like an alpha male wolf sizing up the threat of another male wolf, Durnaur could see that this threat was serious.

His hand slipped down beneath his cloak, reaching for the sword hilt that should have been there.

But it was not. Durnaur was weaponless, at the end of a long cold steal blade that would take his life if he let it.

A single sliver of alarm stabbed his heart, but he fought it off quickly. Alarm led to panic, panic to mistakes. He did not have room or time for mistakes.

Meeting the Captain's gaze steadily, Durnaur spoke, his voice deadly calm and intolerant.

"Put that blade back in it's sheath, pup, before I wrest it from you and sink it in your throat. Do you think I am so easily conquered, or that I can be cowed by a single glittering blade? If you think thus, than you are foolish, and more naive than I gave you credit for being. I am so much more than what even you think. My life has been steeped in powers that were here before this Middle Earth was formed."

Having thus spoken, Durnaur acted quickly, without giving Tenuvian a chance to respond. His hand flashed inside his cloak, and then back out, and several things happened at once.

A mushroom cloud of smoke--biting, choking, stinging smoke--blasted up from the ground between Durnaur and Tenuvian, accompanied by a sharp, ear-shattering boom. As the Captain fell into a fit of coughing, tears blinding him, Durnaur vanished from his sight...
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2009 11:14
Lenar looked around, but he wasn't sure what he is actually looking for, he didn't even know how Gaius looks like. He knew that Eowilindë is near, and that gave him a feeling of safety. There was nobody in the Gate, and Lenar stopped there, uncertain what to do.

A sudden quiet sound caught his attention. He looked in the direction where it came from, and saw a movement in the shadow of a back alley. He was hesitant to leave the relative safety of the streets illuminated with torches, and he didn't know if Eowilindë will be able to follow him in the city that she didn't know.

But after a moment of hesitance, he entered the alley, and followed the shadow, threading carefully, with his heart beating in his throat.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 04, 2009 06:16
Aragorn bolted awake, drenched in sweat. He was even shaking. He quickly glanced at Arwen, hoping that he hadn't woke her up. This was the third time he had woken up from nightmares.

Aragorn stared straight ahead through the darkness to the only source of light: the faint moonlight that managed to come in through the balcony. The nightmare still lingered, so he got up quietly and went onto the balcony to look out.

Each nightmare had been the same, yet different. The events that happened were different each time, but always in the end, Arwen and others he loved ended up dying brutal, painful deaths all because he failed to do or accomplish something. Every time..... The King shuddered. He could still see Arwen's face, dead and lifeless, echoing the pain she died from. Suddenly unsure, he twisted around quickly to check on her. But still she slept, unperturbed by the world. He sighed in relief.

The whole next hour he still fought the dreams that lingered, jumping at every sound. What is wrong with me? he thought. Aragorn leaned against the railing, tired, but knowing that he could never go back to sleep now. Dawn was only 45 minutes away, and there was no sense in him going to bed anyways. He began to think over the coming day, specifically the council meeting that he was dreading. I can't even convince my own people that I am the one for them. How can I lead this country? Then a foriegn voice, yet his own at the same time, whispered its thoughts. You weren't meant for this. You are of lesser blood. You were right to doubt your ability. You are weak, just like your forefathers. Easily corrupted they were, and selfish. You are no better than them.

Dawn glimpsed on the clouds, and before he knew it, Aragorn started sobbing softly. The doubts, the uncertainty... He never even noticed the elven figure who approached him from behind.
---------------------------------------------

Eowilindë crept forward, following silently as best as she could. Gaius was trying hard to lose any followers who might be trying to tag along, and he was doing a good job at it. Always at the last minute, he would let Lenar see a bit of himself, so as to make Lenar plunge suddenly into alleys and around corners, and this made following difficult for Eowilindë. She was forced to stay closer to Lenar than she would have liked.

Twice she had almost lost him, but she always managed to keep Lenar in sight, and, more specifically, in hearing. Luckily in Lenar's haste to follow Gaius, Lenar failed to keep completly silent, at least, in an elf's standards. This helped the she-elf to track him down when sight failed her.

She wondered when Gaius would allow this merry chase to end.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2009 03:59
An hour, perhaps two, passed, and Aerdaneth could keep still no longer. She felt trapped, chained,...useless. Despite Marthal's apparent skill for making conversation, despite all her warmth and generosity, Aerdaneth felt uncomfortable and restless.

Very much like the sea before a storm.

Dark eyes glittering, she stood at last.

"I beg your pardon, my dear lady, but I am afraid I can sit idle no longer. Your company has been most enjoyable and I shall be forever grateful for all that you have done to make me feel welcome in this strange city...But I must go out and be about some business...Blame it on my youth, if you will, but please, take no insult from it."

Marthal smiled gently, laying a warm hand on Aerdaneth's arm. Startled by the physical contact, Aerdaneth fought the urge to pull away. But Marthal was nothing but warm and sincere, a twinkle of amusement and sympathy in her eyes.

"Go then, and I take no offense. You have done me a great service by keeping me company these two hours. I fear I get very lonely without Lenar around, and so often he is gone now. I thank you, my dear, and go find yourself some peace in this city if you can."
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aerdaneth wove her way blindly through the city. Night had fallen now, and few souls dared to stir. Without even realizing it, Aerdaneth found herself once more in the stable.

Suddenly realizing where she was, Aerdaneth slipped into Rista's stall. At first the horse started and snorted uneasily, but as she held out a gentle hand to him and whispered steadying words, the beast stepped up more confidently and rubbed his soft nose on her shoulder.

"There's a good fellow. And how have they treated you today?"

The horse danced about and smacked his head harder into her arm, leaning his weight against the stall door.

"Ahhh, feeling restless as well? I don't blame you though, flighty one."

As Aerdaneth patted the horse, she was comletely unaware of her surroundings. A voice behind her startled her.

"You have a good hand with that beast. I have noted that it does not take well to humans, mistreated I would surmise, but you have done well with it, m'lady."

Whirling, Aerdaneth's dark eyes were wide as she surveyed the tall man that stood before her. He was obviously of some upper class, his clothes denoting either one very rich, or else of royal blood. His accent was like to those few from Dol Amroth which Aerdaneth had ever crossed paths with.

"He was not well treated, I would agree. I would venture to say I rescued him from a rather foul man who ran the beast ragged."

The man extended a hand to the beast, and surprisingly the flighty stallion extended his nose calmly and inhaled the man's scent. A slight smile played on the noble man's features, and something struck Aerdaneth about his face. There was some...was it his eyes? Yes, yes the eyes. Blue grey, like the seas, like a stormy sky, like...

...Like her father's eyes.

Aerdaneth stared at the man as if she had seen some specter of the night. He seemed to take notice of her obvious distrurbance, and his focus turned from the beast to herself.

"What troubles you, my lady?"

"Who...who are you?" Aerdaneth asked, unable to keep the tremble from her voice.

"Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth, I must admit. An odd place to find me, is it not so? But it is also an odd place to find one of your...heritage. Minas Tirith has not oft been friendly to the people of Harad."

Aerdaneth's chest felt suddenly frozen, as if clutched by some sea monster that was intent on dragging her into the murky depths. Imrahil? This was then her father's brother?

A stormy mix of emotions tore through her chest. Anger. Bittneress. Curiosity. Could there be the tiniest flicker of hope? She had never known what it was to have family beyond her father...Could it be that one day she would find a family as Lenar had? Ah, but they had cast her father out. They had abhored her mother.

Who was to say that they would not also abhor her.

"I dare say Dol Amroth, and the house of Adrahil, has not oft been friendly to the people of Harad etiher," Aerdaneth said, her voice sharp as a drawn dagger.

The man seemed to be taken aback by the animosity seeping through her words. For a moment, regret flashed through her. Did she prove herself no better than they thought her. A second of fear pervaded her guard, fear she would lose that flicker of hope that she had some how managed to stumble upon.

But if anything Prince Imrahil was not put off. Realizing there was more beneath her words than there appeared, his head tilted faintly to the left...A familiar action her father had often done when trying to read a person's face.

Pain stabbed at Aerdaneth's heart.

"Such malice behind those words. You are a puzzle to me, dear lady, which I would very much like to figure out. What is it that makes you so hate my household, and Dol Amroth as well? What brings one of your kind so openly to Minas Tirith in such troubled times?"

Aerdaneth was silent a moment. Rista nudged her with his nose, his dark, moist eyes unusually calm. He appeared to trust this man, could that mean that Aerdaneth might as well?

"Do you remember a tragic tale about a prince of Dol Amroth? His name was Celegsîr, and against all odds, he fell in love with a woman of Harad. But his family was not as open minded as he was persuaded to be, and they soon cast him out. Never another word did they speak to him, and he lived the rest of his days as an outcast prince, bereft of any family other than his wife, and...daughter."

At the name Celegsîr, Imrahil's face went cold as a stone. Shock flickered in his eyes. And at the mention of a daughter, the slow dawn of realization broke on his face.

"Celegsîr," he whispered, some sorrow touching his features, "Celegsîr," He repeated.

"You are my brother's daughter?"
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2009 07:05
Tenuvian rose slowly, still coughing and leaning on his blade. Smoke was everywhere, but it was clear the Lord Durnaur was gone. The platform was flat, and he was nowhere to be seen.
Tenuvian was furious. He had this one chance to send the Lord falling to his death, and Durnaur had gotten the better of him. He sheathed his sword and started walking back towards the stairs. It was late; his report would have to wait untill tomorrow.

How Durnaur had escaped, for a second time, was still of great bother to Tenuvian. He had slain hundreds of orcs, ambushed the Haradrim and easterlings from the shadows and disappeared into forests with ease, yet this "Lord" seemed to always be a step ahead of it. It unnerved him. He was the Captain of the Rangers; stealth and keeness were supposed to be what he was best at.

-------------------------------------------------

Gaius ducked into a doorway and waited. Leanr had been following him for a few minutes now, and it was time for Gaius to execute the final stage of his plan. The ranger came down the alleyway and Gaius grabbed hum gruffly by his coat, pulling him into the doorway with him, covering his mouth and putting a blade to his throat.

"Listen now and listen good, Ranger" he whispered.

"I have information for you regarding a person of interest in your profession, information you need desperately. So, if you seek to find Durnaur's ally in the Rangers you will follow me and not speak a word until directed."

He let Lenar go and proceeded further into the room they were in. He slid a table back revealing a trap door into the ground. He opened it and stood by the hatch, waiting to see if Lenar would go.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2009 06:14
Arwen's sleep was light that night. Something was amiss... even more then the general feeling of uneasiness that hung above Minas Tirith in there days. She woke before the dawn, and realized with panic, that the bed at her side is empty. She rose quickly, and looked for Aragorn with a feeling of cold dread. She glimpsed him on the balcony, and relief washed over her. For a moment she feared... she sighed deeply. But still something was not right. As if a shroud of darkness hung over him... She heard a soft sobbing, and her heart clenched.

She approached him quietly, and gently wrapped her arms around him, not saying a word, just being there, trying to dispel the darkness with her very presence, her closeness. She could feel his heartbeat, and the coldness of his skin, and tried to wrap him in her warmth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lenar's heart nearly jumped up his throat when a rough hand grabbed him, and he felt the cold steel on his throat. His instincts screamed at him to struggle and fight, but he had the feeling that his instinct aren't the wisest adviser right now... He forced his breathing to calm, to not give away his fear. He knew that Tenuvian trusted Gaius... But was this man really Gaius?
"I have information for you regarding a person of interest in your profession, information you need desperately. So, if you seek to find Durnaur's ally in the Rangers you will follow me and not speak a word until directed."
Lenar knew that Eowilindë won't be able to follow him once he enters the door. He eyed the man warily for a while, but then he reached a decision. There was no other way, he had to take the risk. And the man didn't take his sword. Maybe he was too self-conscious... But it gave Lenar a feeling of a bit control over the situation. With a hand on the hilt, but without a word, he entered the door.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 12, 2009 07:59
((sorry, i just realized that perhaps yall are waiting on me.. :blush: ))

Arwen felt like the sun on a snowy day, like a fire in a barren room. She was comforting, a relief from this darkness that battered him. The tears came; he could not stop them. Why? he briefly wondered. Usually he didn't break down like this. Though he had done it in the past.

The past... it haunted him. It nagged his conscious, reminding him of all the failures. Reminding him of how unworthy he was. He had been right, back in Rivendell. He was weak; there was no power in him. He would only lead Gondor to her destruction....

The thoughts were interrupted - and he was glad of this - when Arwen suddenly spoke. He realized he had stopped crying.
------------------------------------------------
Eowilindë jumped toward the trap door in dismay. No Lenar! What are you doing?? She cursed silently. She didn't dare follow; there would be no way out. For all she knew, it was a mere cellar...

An idea came to her. Suddenly she lept down on the floor and pressed her pointed ear against the wood of the door. Perhaps, perhaps she could hear them. If she heard any sign of distress, Eowilindë knew that she would abandon all form of secrecy and would be down there before one could blink.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2009 11:17
Lenar dropped down through the door, and Gaius jumped in after him, pulling the door shut and bolting it closed from the inside. It was dark, but moonlight poured in from a grate opening that lay next to the street, and gave just enough light to navigate by.

Gaius gave Lenar's cloak a tug, and indicated for him to follow him. He led the young ranger down a long tunnell, jogging quickly past more grates that let moonlight in. He then made a right turn, heading into the city. No light shone here, but the tunnel was straight and the pair could not get lost.

At last they reached the end of the tunnell, and a ladder leading up. Gaius climbed up quickly and opened another trap door. Torchlight poured in and Gaius beckoned the young ranger up into the light.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2009 02:13
She gently wiped the tears away. "My father knows to read hearts, and I am his daughter and I have his gift. I, too, have chosen this man, not because of the ancient blood in his veins, but because of who he is. I looked at him and I saw a King. Not in heritage only, but in the very essence of his being. Didn't he prove his kingship by deeds?" she spoke, repeating her words from the council, but their tune was different now. In the council, they were proud and dignified, said by the daughter of Elrond and Queen of Gondor. Now they were warm and tender, from the mouth of a loving woman.

"If you don't trust yourself, my love, trust me. Trust us. Can you imagine me at the side of this dark vulture that claims his right for the throne? Would he be the king of Gondor, and would he ask for my hand, do you think that my father would give it to him? Never, and I would never choose him above you. I know your heart, and there is no shadow in it, no weakness. If your mind tells you otherwise, don't believe it. I have seen how the darkness can poison a mind, and the look in this Durnaur's eyes reminds me on such a poison. Listen to your heart, for it can't be poisoned by lies. It is alway true."

------------------------------

Lenar followed Gaius in silence. He used the time that they spent in the tunnel to regain his composure. Now he appeared calm outside, but was prepared to fight for his life if the man is leading him into a trap. It could be some servant of Durnaur, connected with the traitor. The different possibilities were echoing in Lenar's mind - none of them bode well for him, if this is not Gaius. And even if he is, Lenar wasn't sure what to expect from the mysterious man.

He followed the man out of the tunnel, and at its mouth he stopped, and scowled. "Where are you leading me? Are you Gaius?"
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2009 01:20
Gaius looked down at the questioning young ranger, and decided it was time for a few answers.

"I am indeed Gaius. I have worked for many years with the rangers, with Faramir when he was still Captain, and with Tenuvian throughout his career, and I am here to help you."

He held his hand down through the trap door at Lenar, seeing if he would take it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Tenuvian made it back to his headquarters, walking up to his orderly. The young man handed him the days reports from behind his desk and sat back down at Tenuvian's nod. Unsurprising to him, there were no accounts of the Lord Durnaur leaving his quarters and wandering the city.

Tenuvian was honestly clueless as to what to do at this point. He seemed to have no means of controlling the man, all the while Durnaur was making gains in the council. Tenuvian was a man of foundation, preferring to deal in solid things. Sword and shield, bow and quiver, stream and forest. His dealings in shadowy politics were limited at best. What he needed, and fast, was for his young lieutenant to make some headway.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 22, 2009 05:47
((OOC~ ok i tried to make a post before i left. ))

Aragorn looked into Arwen's eyes, hidden hope now found again. Whispering gently, he said, "Have I ever told you how much I love you, darling? They named me Estel, Hope, but without you, I wouldn't have gotten far." He smiled, and held her close. "You have reminded me of what I stand for. In the darkness, when all hope seems lost, you have been my light."

His mind was clear now of all doubt. It amazed him, the clarity. He straightened. Lord Durnuar would not stand in his way. And he would not let this man take what was dear to him and ruin it. Minas Tirith would not fall to this unworthy man.

Aragorn looked at Arwen again, then gently kissed her. "Come, my wife, let us get ready for the day, for the hour draws near of the beginning of the council."
-----------------------------------------------

Eowilindë hesitated before the trap door. Dare she follow? She had no clue of what was down there, and she was a little frightened.

I can't leave Lenar to Gaius's devices! What if this really isn't Gaius?

Without a second thought, she went to the trap door to open it, but it was bolted shut! "Oh no!" She stuggled with vain to get the door open, but there was no way to open it while being quiet.

Eowilindë finally decided to forgo silence. She looked around for anything that might help her force the door open. She found a shovel, and started pounding at the door where the lock was. The wood was rather old, and started splintering right away.

Eventually she managed to break away enough wood to be able to undo the bolt, but unfortunatly, much time had passed. No telling where they are by now!

She cast aside the shovel, and jumped in stealthily, and started running down the tunnel. She hoped she wasn't too late.

[Edited on 5/23/2009 by Erucenindë]
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2009 11:27
Arwen smiled, glad to see the new hope in his eyes. "Your wife," she whispered gently, "that's the only title that I need. And the meeting will begin first in a few hours, it is still early, and you didn't sleep much. You should get some sleep while there is time. Although, on the other side, you could make Durnaur feel very boring with your yawning."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lenar looked at the man intently for a while. He hesitated for a moment, but didn't take the hand at the end, and climbed the ladder without help. When he was up, he faced the older man.

"I'm sorry my lord. But the last days learned me to trust nobody beside my friends. A few days ago I would entrust you my life like I would to Captain Tenuvian, when you said his name. But now... even the rangers are not so unified and trustworthy as I thought. And that I the reason why I wanted to meet you. There is a traitor - and I want to uncover him."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2009 06:35
"You are my brother's daughter?"

Imrahil's question rang in the silence, and remained unanswered as Aerdaneth stared at this man. It seemed then to her that her soul was made of two halves, these two halves being always at war. Pride fought curiosity. Pain fought Hope.

She looked into the blue-grey eyes of her father's brother, and a sigh escaped her lips. Withdrawing further into herself, she answered the question with as much reserve and distance as she had long taught herself to offer to those about her.

"So it would seem, my lord. But what difference does this knowledge make now? The House of Amrahil cast out my father long ago, why should one dare to hope that it should do otherwise now?"

Aerdaneth turned then, patting Rista once more before slipping out of the stall and walking stiffly out of the stable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dawn.

A new day.

Durnaur stood at the window of his chamber, despising the cold stone walls that attempted to hold him captive. He had not stirred from the shabby house during the night, but had sat on his cot and stared at the wall. Long hours had he spent speaking to a god who would not or could not answer. But undiscouraged, he had prayed on, remembering all he had been taught.

Remembering Sauron the Great Deceiver as well. Often Durnaur pondered that great lord of darkness; often he studied in his mind each action, each mannerism. Seeking greater power, Durnaur studied most faithfully those who had really held true power in their hands...

And now the dawn had come. A few short hours he had allowed his body to rest, but his mind burned with a most fervent flame. He was ready to observe the result of the prior night's work. He wondered how the "great" King of Gondor had faired during the night, a wicked sneer twisting his pale lips.

"Let us go and see how Elessar has weathered this storm..."
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2009 06:29
The young ranger clumbed up the ladder, ignoring Gaius' outstretched hand. Gaius let the trap door fall back into place and bolted it shut.

"Very well, walk with me then." He said, stepping out of the house with Lenar following.

The pair stepped out into the street, lit faintly by scattered torches throughout and started walking slowly.

"I am here to help you." said Gaius. "The traitor poses a threat to all of us, especially our dear king. Trapping him will be exceptionally difficult. So far he has eluded the best efforts of your Captain, and Tenuvian is not man to be trifled with. He is very, very good at what he does, but this man is elusive. He seems to be able to walk past gaurds and through walls at will, and that means one thing; He is a man you trust, and trust implicitly. That is the only way he could be avoiding Tenuvian's security so far. You need to look inwards, and look deep. I suggest you start with the gaurds at Durnaur's gate, and ask who has been visiting our guest. Something will be out of place there."

Gaius paused in the street and turned to Gaius.

"I cannot be with you during any of this, as technically, I do not exist and cannot be seen in your company. It raises questions on integrity, and right now is the worst time for those sort of questions to arise. Do you have any questions of me?"
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 31, 2009 10:26
Eowilindë ran through the tunnel for about 30 minutes. Judging from the time that had passed, Lenar must be about 15 minutes ahead of her. He could be dead by now...

It wasn't long before she reached the end of the tunnel, and to her dismay, another trap door. Only, this one was bolted from the outside. Obviously, whoever used this tunnel did not want people following.

For a minute, she fumed, looking around the tunnel for anything that might aid her. There was nothing but one lone torch. She stepped up to the trap door and strained to listen for sounds of any sort. Then she heard voices, faint, but nevertheless voices. Hope rose inside her, and she listened, hoping to be able to discern some words.
--------------------------------------------
Aragorn took Arwen's advice and slept for a couple more hours, but no more. It was soon to the beginning of another council.

Four hours later, King Ellessar sat in his chair in the council chamber, waiting for everyone to arrive before he began. He glanced at Arwen, and gave her a faint smile. He knew she was worried about him, but she had given him back his confidence. He would be alright.

Durnuar sat across from him. Aragorn noticed the man studying him. Aragorn kept his face blank and hard to read; he did not want Durnuar learning anything he didn't need to know. Inwardly, he cursed Durnuar and his black trickery.

Soon all the council members had gathered, and everyone was present. "The second meeting of the Council has begun." And thus it was.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2009 01:01
Durnaur arrived a stroke earlier than most of the council members, except for Aragorn and his elven wife. Nodding tightly to the king, and forgoing bowing, or any other form of humility, Durnaur took his seat. For a moment, he allowed his pale, flickering eyes to scan the room. A few others were present, one or two gaurds stood at the door--out of hearing range, but on edge and ready for action.

Finally Durnaur's eyes fell heavily on Aragorn. Without blinking, he stared for many long moments at the King's face. It was cold and still as the stone face of the mountain--unyielding like marble, unreadable as an old man's scrawling.

Reaching out with every sense he had, Durnaur struggled to detect any sort of disturbance, confusion, despair. But there was only a cold stillness. Aragorn's eyes were like windows with the shutters tightly latched. No matter how strong the storm raged, it could not tear those shutters open.

A sliver of desperation shot through Durnaur. Things were not going as he had hoped. He had desired more than this. It would be so much better if treachery and persuasion triumphed. He did not like much to deal in the physical realm of battles. He held a distinct distaste for them--not that he was not skilled in them...he simply prefered to weasle his way in and out of situations.

Durnaur clenched his hands tightly together under the table, his already pale hands losing any trace of color. Gritting his teeth momentarily, Durnaur moved quickly to restrain his emotions. Aragorn must not know his disappointment.

The pale lord's blue eyes flickered shut a moment. All it took was a moment. His lips moved with unspoken words. A silent prayer.

His hands unclenched in his lap. The old and weaker muscles around his mouth relaxed until at last a smile twisted his lips. A trace of color returned to his hands, and to his face as well.

"The second meeting of the Council has begun."

And Durnaur's eyes flew open, piercing Aragorn with a most mysterious, triumphant look...It was almost as if Durnaur had glimpsed the future and found his fate sure. A new fire blazed in his eyes. He had seen no such thing, but it did not hurt to let Elessar question if he did...
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2009 11:51
Lenar smiled bitterly. "Questions? Only one: can I trust you?" He shook his head. "Oh, you can't give me the answer on that, I know. I would like to know who you are, and why are you hiding... but I think that you won't answer this, either. But I will heed your advice and question Durnaur's guards."

Lenar thought for a moment. The things happened so quickly... He felt like in a middle of a whirlpool of lies and intrigues. It was pulling him under the surface... He took a deep breath. "If I find the traitor... what should I do? Tell the Captain? Or... try to capture him?" Another option crossed his mind briefly, but he shooed it away quickly, horrified at the thought. No, he wouldn't kill him, no matter what he has done...
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2009 08:38
"My name is Gaius, and no you cannot trust me. Why? Because you cannot trust anyone at this point. I hide because I am not a person the legitiame authorities look upon kindly. I am anecessary evil, so people like Tenuvian tolerate and use me, but given the wrong cirumstances, would also arrest me and lock me away."

Gaius turned started walkinga way, pausing for a moment and looking back.

"I'll contact you again when you've made some progress. Oh, and you might want to go back inside and open the trap door. I'd imagine your friend isn't too pleased about being stuck in that tunnell."

----------------------------------------------------------

Tenuvian made the last couple steps inside and sat down quickly. The council had nearly begun without him. He'd been rushed all morning after trying to make progress with his "problem." That coupled with the fact that Lenar seemed to have vanished and made no progress yet had made his morning very frustrating indeed.

He sat up quickly as the Lord Aragorn spoke.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2009 04:32
All was dark and the city was growing more and more still with each moment that passed. Storm clouds were rolling in on a western wind, veiling the stars that would shine.

Aerdaneth's heart felt very much the same. Inside, some light, some flicker of hope struggled, yearning very much to shine. Suffocating this light were dark clouds, a thick and inky veil of bitterness and wounded pride. She felt a little lost, even as she wove her way back to Marthal's home. Her footsteps did wavered only slightly, not nearly as much as her heart did.

At last she reached the house, wherein a lone candle still burned within--Marthal's sign to her son that he still may enter, Aerdaneth supposed.

Not wishing to wake the dear lady, nor to encounter her bubbling, well intentioned questions, Aerdaneth leaned against the wall and slid down to sit on the cold cobblestones. She supposed Lenar and the she-elf would return there, but was uncertain. At that moment, however, Aerdaneth cared little. Her heart felt cold; her lithe body shivered.

Momentarily she wished Rista was at her side.

Her eyes flew to the clouded sky, finding a single star that still remained uncovered.

No, she wished her father was at her side.

A deep sigh began in her heart and worked its way out, finally slipping from her lips. Her eyes bored into the star as it flickered out of sight...slowly she drifted into an unhappy sleep.

[Edited on 7/6/2009 by Adara_Cochava]
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2009 10:39
Lenar stared at the leaving silhouette of Gaius in mild shock after his last statement. He couldn't follow him long, the man seemed to blend with the shadows. He blinked a few times, and then he turned slowly, shaking his head. The man was a mystery, and Lenar didn't know what to think about him.

Suddenly he realized that Eowilindë is trapped in the tunnel, and quickened his step. The trap door was easy to open from this side. In a few moments Lenar was looking into the face of a very surprised elleth.

After a moment of silence he spoke. "He... hm... he knew that you are here..." He sighed. "He advised me to question Durnaur's guards, and then told me that I cannot trust him, and then said that I might want to go back inside and open the trap door because you won't be too pleased about being stuck in that tunnel... He knew it for the whole time..."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 10, 2009 03:11
Eowilinde stared at Lenar, who had suddenly popped through the door.

"Let's get back to Aerdaneth and discuss what Gaius had to say."

Lenar nodded in agreement, and led her through the tunnel and then the streets back to his home. Eowilinde was glad he was there to lead her back. She would have been lost by herself.

Finally they got to Lenar's house, and met Aerdaneth. "Greetings, I trust your day has been well, Aerdaneth." Eowilinde said. She turned to Lenar. "Once you tell Aerdaneth what happened, I would like to know what we are about to do."
----------------------------------------------

King Ellessar surveyed the council. It should never have come down to wondering who is on your side, and who isn't.

He looked at Durnuar. Lord Durnuar seemed to be celebrating something, though honestly Aragorn didn't care about him right now. Faramir and Imrahil still needed to give their opinions.

He quickly reviewed what was said at the previous meeting, for those who hadn't been here or who needed reminding.

"Lord Faramir, you have the floor."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2009 02:49
"Greetings, I trust your day has been well, Aerdaneth."

"Once you tell Aerdaneth what happened, I would like to know what we are about to do."

Aerdaneth was torn from troubled dreams by the she-elf's voice. It echoed through the regions on her unconscious mind, stirring her mind as she stretched her limbs. Her arms and legs were stiff and cold. Rubbing her eyes, she looked with blurry dark eyes at Lenar and Eowilinde.

"Greetings, friends," Aerdaneth said slowly as she eased her sore body up from the ground. Nodding slightly to Eowilinde, Aerdaneth struggled to clear her mind from the haze of so recent a sleep.

Clearing her throat, she spoke.

"How went the meeting with our very mysterious friend? Any word or sign of a taitor amongst the ranks?"

Aerdaneth's world spiralled out of control for a moment--a spell fo dizziness brought on by too fast an ascent to the standing world, perhaps. Swaying, she leaned on the wall and blinked rapidly in an attempt to focus.

[Edited on 14/6/2009 by Adara_Cochava]
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2009 05:18
Tenuvian surveyed the council carefully. The Lord Faramir currently had the floor. Tenuvian sat to his right, two spaces over, but left of the King in the customary position of the Captain of the Rangers. Everyone else in the room was dressed in formal and ornate attire, with flowing robes often reaching as far as the floor. Tenuvian was the only one in the circle that wore a military uniform. This put him in a unqiue postion, as while every man at the table could likely call agents to their aide and use manipulation and deceit, no one else had a battalion of heavily armed and well trained men at their disposal.

Tenuvian had been preparing for the days meeting the previous night, and would request the floor once the Lord Faramir had completed what he had to say. This would, hopefully, be the last day of deliberation before the Kingdom could send Durnaur back to the lands he had ventured out from.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2009 11:59
Lenar frowned slightly when he saw Aerdaneth sleeping on the ground before the house. Surely his mother wouldn't let her sleep outside... Why then was she here? Suddenly he realized that Aerdaneth is speaking to him, and his mind tried to catch up with the meaning of the words.

"Ah, yes. I met this Gaius. I'll tell you everything. But come, we can speak inside. Why did you sleep here? There is enough place in our house, and mother would gladly offer it, but if she didn't then do I. Or do you wish to return to the Houses of Healing? I think that they still have the room for you. You shouldn't sleep on the ground..."

He saw her leaning at the wall, and he frowned. "What happened? Are you alright?" He opened the door that was left unlocked for him. He assumed that his mother will be already asleep, but he knew that there will be fresh food waiting on the table, as ever when he returned home late because of his ranger duties. He held the door open for them.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 05:19
Aerdaneth followed Lenar inside his mother's home, a trace of a smile touching her lips at his gentle rebuke.

"I spent some hours with your mother, but grew restless and wandered the streets awhile. I met..." suddenly Aerdaneth clamped her mouth shut, licked her lips quickly, and restarted on a new course, "When I returned I was weary, and it was late...I sat on the step to watch the sky, but must have drifted off."

The trio took seats near the food that was laid out for them, and Aerdaneth chewed on a roll mechanically.

"Tell me everything, my friend."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 06:06
Eowilindë caught Aerdaneth's fumble though. "Met who, Aerdaneth?"

Eowilindë was starving, she had not had anything to eat since the morning. Some apples lay in a bowl on the table, so she took one and ate it. It was delicious.

"Tell me everything, my friend."

"Indeed, I would like to know more about our friend Gaius as well. He seemed to know the secret ways well... too well. " the elf stated. "And how did he know I was there? I took great care not to show myself. Observant he is indeed if he can notice an elf."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 10:21
For a brief moment, Aerdaneth had considered telling Lenar and their elven friend of Imrahil and their conversation. And then, in the twinkle of an eye, she had changed her words. It was a subtle mistake, but not subtle enough to escape the attention of Eowilinde.

Aerdaneth's dark face flushed a shade darker. She was not embarrased, not even scared, to tell her two friends of what had occurred.

Just reserved. It was a topic that was close and painful, like an arrow stuck in one's flesh. Touch the arrow, send even the slightest vibration down its shaft, and it sent pain reverberating through the body.

So was the case with Imrahil and the falling out between the House of Adrahil and her father, Celegisir. As pressing as time was at the moment, and as much as lay before them, Aerdaneth had not the time to go into details, to open her heart to the two that stood before her.

Shaking her head and clenching her jaw slightly, she turned the subject gruffly from herself.

"It is nothing. A personal matter of no interest except the parties involved, I suppose. We have pressing matters at hand, come, Lenar, tell us of Gaius. Did he know who this traitor was? Did he offer a name or a description?"
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 12:09
Lenar took a piece of bread and nibbled at it thoughtfully. "Well, there is not much to tell..." he said finally. "This Gaius is a very strange fellow. Secretive, but something dangerous is in him, and the words that he wanted to tell me he handled like some valuable property, reluctant to part with them. He only told me that the man that I seek I someone I trust, as well as Captain. That's why he avoids us so easily. But he said no name, only suggested to question Durnaur's guards.

I asked if I can trust him, and he told me no... But somehow, knowing that the traitor I someone I trust, I find this more reassuring then not...Everything seems so twisted...

And before we parted, he revealed that for the whole time he knew that Eowilindë is following us... I don't know how he knew it... Maybe he followed us before the meeting... or simply guessed... I don't know. For the whole time that I have spoken with him, he didn't mention it. Only at the end. I don't know what to think about it.

But maybe we should follow his advice and question the guards. But it is already late, we should wait for the morning. Aerdaneth, you can sleep in my bed, I will stay here. And, hm... lady Eowilindë... I'm not sure how the elves sleep... do you need a bed?" He didn't really see the elf sleep yet, and he didn't know if it's true that elves don't need to sleep.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 02:19
Aerdaneth took in Lenar's words with a slight frown--not a disapproving one, merely an unconscious facial expression that crossed her face when she entered deep thought. She mulled over what had been said and then nodded slowly.

"I think it would be wise to follow Gaius' advice. While I have not seen the man, if Tenuvian trusts him--even a little--than the man must merit it in some degree. But you are right, Lenar, rest is needed, if not for the elven kind," Aerdaneth smiled slightly at Eowilinde, "then for the mortal man. However, I would not put you out of your bed, Lenar, it is not--"

But Lenar would not hear of her doing anything other than he had spoken. When all was said and done, Aerdaneth curled up in Lenar's old room. It had been many days and nights since he had stayed therein. The duties of a ranger did not often afford a stay at home. As she drifted once more into the world of sleep, Aerdaneth's eyes lazily turned about the room. Lenar's generosity and chivalry were heartwarming, and though she still felt the pangs of bitterness at Imrahil, she spent the night in relative peace--thanks to her friend's warm words and deeds.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 05:03
Eowilindë smiled. "Your garden is all I need. We elves do not sleep like men do."

She bade them goodnight, then walked outside to the nearby garden, but first she sat down on a stone bench. For hours she pondered the day's happenings and what Lenar had said. Gaius didn't make a whole lot of sense; one could never be sure about him. To trust or not to trust?

The elf sighed. Lenar trusted him, so she would go along with it. But one wrong move on Gaius's part, and he might find an arrow in his chest, she thought bitterly. But if he betrayed them, would it be too late by then?

She pushed these troubles away for the night. She needed rest, and dwelling on questions that had no answers would get you nowhere.

Eowilindë walked the garden, and softly sung Elvish tunes all through the night.
--------------------------------------

The morning dawned, and Eowilindë welcomed the Sun and her warm rays of light. She could not help but realize that today was the second meeting of the council.

She said a quick prayer to Eru for strength to the King, and then went inside Lenar's house.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2009 05:41
Aerdaneth woke slowly to a single beam of early morning light breaking through the partially opened shutters. She didn't remember the shutters being open, but quickly yawned the thought away.

Standing, she stretched her stiff, lazy body and rubbed her arms to get her blood moving again. She glanced down at her dingy, haphazard clothing and began smoothing out wrinkles and knocking off dirt as best she could. She found a small looking glass over on one wall, near an old oak chest, and peered into it.

She was not an old woman, in fact she was very young. Still, the wear and tear of the past few days showed on her face. Finding a pitcher of water and a bowl, she washed her face, scrubbing it with the rough towel until it shone. Her dark eyes glittered back at her, and she straightened the burgandy head wrap that made her look more exotic--more like the Haradrim.

Leaving the room, she strolled lazily into the living room...
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2009 01:16
Lenar's mind raced too much for the sleep to come easily. He woke several times through the night, and pondered the events of the previous days. Then he finally fell asleep, to be woken by some sound from the hall. For a moment he wondered why he isn't in his own bed, but then he remembered. There was a task that they had to do today. He, and the two women that are sleeping in their house. Or not entirely sleeping, in Eowilindë's case.

The door to the kitchen opened, and his mother came inside, and went to the fire-place to prepare breakfast. First then she noticed Lenar. "Oh, did I wake you? Why aren't you in your own bed?"

"Aerdaneth is sleeping there," he explained simply.

"Ah, good. I wondered where did she go yesterday. The elven lady is here, too? Did she sleep with Aerdaneth? Would I know that, I would prepare more blankets, and..."

"No, don't worry. She said that the elves do not sleep like we do. She is in the garden."

Marthal frowned disapprovingly at such manner. "The garden instead of a bed? Are you sure about that?"

But Lenar didn't have time to answer as in that moment Eowilindë decided to come inside. Marthal turned to her. "Good morning, lady. Did you rest well in the..." she looked slightly confused "...in the garden? Lenar told me that you walked there instead of sleep... I hope he wasn't impolite to you, was he?"

Shortly after that came Aerdaneth. "Good morning!" said Marthal and Lenar almost in the same time. Marthal smiled. "I hope you have slept well. I will prepare some breakfast in an instant. Lenar, comb your hair before breakfast, you look as if you have been sleeping in a bush."

Lenar murmured something uninteligible, and went to find some comb. Before he left, Marthal added: "And during the breakfast you can tell me how that meeting went!" Lenar nodded slightly before leaving, but when he turned away, a shadow crossed his face. He didn't want to admit the graveness of the situation to his mother, but didn't know how to tell her when she will ask. He sighed, and left to retrieve the comb.

Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2009 03:32
At Lenar's greeting, a smile broke on Aerdaneth's face. Nodding to both the man and his mother, she replied in like fashion.

"Good morning, my friends."

At Marthal's comment to Lenar regarding his hair, Aerdaneth could not help but stifle a laugh. His hair was indeed in a mess, but the fact that he was clearly too old to be ordered about by his mother--and at such a task so menial--was amusing to Aerdaneth.

She wondered what it felt like to have a mother.

She wondered what it felt like to have a family.

As Lenar wandered away, a shadow crossing his face, a similar shadow--differing only in its source--crossed Aerdaneth's dark face.

Imrahil. What should she say, and how should she act...should their paths cross again? Should she tell Lenar? Maybe he would have some advice for her...

Murmuring some lame excuse under her breath, Aerdaneth quickly followed Lenar. She followed him down the hall back toward the room she had slept in. He was standing in front of the mirror, blankly raking an ivory comb through his hair.

"Lenar."

He jumped at her voice, and she flushed slightly.

"My apologies, friend...I...I came seeking counsel, and would not speak before the others. You see, it is a personal struggle I was confronted with yesterday. A person from my past, whom I have never met, but who had such influence on my life, came suddenly into my present life. But I speak in riddles, do I not? Imrahil. My father's brother. We met, by chance, and he discovered who I was. I was confused, torn...bitter...and did not know what to do. So I spoke harshly and fled..."

She dropped her eyes and her voice lowered in volume, and softened in tone.

"I do not know what to do. I am torn inside. Half of me would that I had family, the other...steadfastly defends my father--they cast him off as a mangy cur...would they now so quickly take me--his half breed child--back?"
<< First7891011
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email