Register

<< First678910Last >>
Author Topic:
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Battle for Ithilien
on: February 12, 2009 03:02
Tenuvian walked briskly down the center of the nearly empty street. With evening coming on, most of the city's civilians had gone home. Only he and his men were visible on the streets as far as he could see. On either side of him Rangers were knocking on doors and entering courtyards conducting searches. They were making progress, but it was slow going. Each level was larger than the one before it, and Tenuvian was getting impatient.

But something else bothered him more; Hadelf's seeming betrayal. He had fought with his lieutenant for years, standing shoulder to shoulder with him as soldiers should. He was as stalwart as any man he knew, yet Durnaur had somehow corrupted him. Tenuvian pushed these thoughts from his mind though. He would deal with Hadelf later. Right now he needed to focus.

They had made some progress, and were down to the 4th level of the city. If they kept on like this they would be bumping into his off-duty men soon. Doubtless they would find it odd to have their compantions knocking on their doors and asking if the Lord Durnaur had come by to pay them a visit. It was tiresome work, and Tenuvian hated it. Still, patience was a trait all Rangers were required to have, and Tenuvian certainly needed it now.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 12, 2009 05:11
Aragorn walked to Lord Durnuar's quarters, where by all rights Lord Durnuar should be. He scowled. Of all the things to happen...and the council in two days! What is the meaning behind his little "excursion"?

He walked up to Captain Hadelf, guarding the place. Hadelf looked a little odd. "Where's Captian Tenuvian?" he barked, a little more harder than he intended. This caused Captain Hadelf to jump and swallow nervously. What's the matter with him?

Hadelf stuttered. "Ye-yes sir, he has gone to find the Lord Durnuar! I'm to guard his room."

"And apparently you did a fine job guarding it earlier." Aragorn scowled. "We will discuss what happened and why it happened, later." Hadelf gulped.

Aragorn stalked off. Easy, there, easy. Too many years of aggressive ranger coming through. he thought. Well, maybe he was a little too harsh on the poor commander. After all, Aragorn didn't even know how it happened yet. But these thoughts still did not kill the anger burning within him. Anger not really towards Hadelf, but Durnuar.

How dare he disobey orders! How dare he manipulate my guards! (For that's what he suspected.) As he walked briskly down the corridors, he realized this man was more than he seemed. Aragorn did not fear him, but his ranger sense warned him to play careful. Obviously Durnuar had several tricks up his sleeve and wasn't unwilling to play dirty - in a low-down, behind the bush kind of way. Aragorn grit his teeth at the thought. Well Durnuar might find I have a few tricks of my own. he thought grimly.

All of a sudden Aragorn froze in his tracks. With Durnuar on the loose and at large....fear gripped his heart. Arwen. If Durnuar could weasel past Hadelf, who said he couldn't get past the tower guards?

Aragorn spun on his heel and went back to where he came from, determined that Durnuar would get nowhere close to his wife without getting to him first.

He would send a messenger to Tenuvian from there.
--------------------------------------------

Eowilindë noticed Aerdaneth's behavior, and also Lenar walk over to her. She simply nibbled on the cookie. Knowing Aerdaneth, the extra attention would kill her lone-wolf stance. Not like she herself was any different. Maybe that's why they understood each other better.

But, then again, she wasn't entirely the lone-wolf like Aerdaneth was, was she? No, Aerdaneth did not know what it was like to be married - both souls entertwined into one. Pain stabbed her heart as she longed for the one who would fill the emptiness inside her. Pain at knowing he would never, ever come back.

She stopped chewing the cookie. All of a sudden she felt like she would cry. She swallowed, and at the same time tried to swallow her emotions. Probably the only thing that kept her from crying at that moment was the presence of Marthal, Lenar, and Aerdaneth. One of the last things she wanted to do was cry in front of them.

Suddenly it felt very stuffy in the house. She just had to get out of here, get into the fresh air. She started to look for a way to exit gracefully and not hurt Marthal's feelings.

She quickly gave the excuse of needing to use the bathroom and escaped. Maybe a bit too quickly. She found herself outside in a public garden. Noone was there. The garden dimly reminded her of her elven home, and she couldn't decide if that was a good thing or not.

Instead she sat down on a stone bench and rested her head in her palms.

Wondering is peace would ever come. And how.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2009 01:38
Lenar saw traces of tears on Aerdaneth's face.
"Not all are blessed with such love. Do not take this for granted, there are..." Aerdaneth's lip trembled slightly, "many who would give much to have what you have."
Lenar lowered his head. Maybe he shouldn't take them here. The visit of his mother seem to awake some awake some old memories and reopened some old wounds. He thought about this woman, wandering alone in the dangerous forests of Ithilien without purpose.
"You must forgive me, friend, I don't know where this weakness has come from. I would have thought more of myself..."
"No... You must forgive me for bringing you here. I didn't know..." I didn't know what? I still don't know! I just feel... "You are one of those that you speak of, is it so? And I brought you here, to my mother... I'm sorry."

In that moment Eowilindë left with some excuse and Lenar looked to Marthal. She was nervous. Probably she thought that the she-elf doesn't like her cookies and house. Lenar sighed. "You don't have to stay if you don't feel comfortable," he whispered to Aerdaneth, "but please... could you take a cookie? They are really wonderful, You will regret later if you don't take one..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Belderneth was pulled into those pale eyes. "Yes..." he spoke like in a trance. "You should have a chance... The land needs change..."

Then he shook his head as if waking from a dream. For a moment he seemed confused but then his eyes focused on his visitor. After a moment of silence he spoke. "I have been thinking about your cause lord Durnaur. It seems just to me. I think you deserve a chance to claim your right before the council."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2009 06:27
Lenar did not fully understand what was happening inside of Aerdaneth, and that because she would not yet allow him to. She did desire to explain, but the time and the place were not right. She felt a touch of regret when he immediately took the blame for her emotions upon his own shoulders.

Shaking her head, she mustered a smile.

"It is not your fault, my dear friend. I am one of those who I speak of, yes. Perhaps upon a better circumstance I will explain. In the meantime, I do not wish to ruin your afternoon, nor that of your mother's either. Come, let us make up for this interruption."

With that said, Aerdaneth called upon the strength and resolve which lay within her, passed down from her father's stubborn tenacity, and donned a most warm smile. Turning back to his mother, she smiled.

"You have a wonderful view from this window, my lady, a most wonderful garden has entranced me. But I am drawn now by the smell of some delightful thing."

She returned to her seat and took a cookie. Taking a bite, surprise flickered on her face.

"My goodness...these are wonderful!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Durnaur was on the move again. He had not spent long staring at the chess board before swiping his first pawn firmly into his own grasp. Pride ripped through his chest at his success, but he only let his mind dance in it for a few moments before focusing his sites on his next target.

Caedus, the Lord of Ringló Vale, was an older man. Many years had passed since he was a boy, and with each year, he had grown in wisdom.

It was to Caedus' home which Durnaur now made his way. His hood was ever pulled over his head, shadowing his ivory face from the gazes of those around him. He practised well the arts of camoflauge, blending in with those around him until they hardly noticed him in passing.

But this would not last long, Durnaur felt it within him. Time was slipping through his fingers as sand passes through the hour glass. Soon the Ithilien rangers and that confounded Tenuvian fellow would catch up to him...he would play his part well, perhaps cause a scene that would cast shadows upon Tenuvian and his intentions in the eyes of the public, and then submit in seeming defeat.

But before that happened, he planned on having at least one more council member safe in his pocket.

Stepping to the door of Caedus' home, he spoke to the guard there.

"I must speak with the Lord Caedus, on a matter concerning the council. Pray, tell him I have arrived, friend..."

ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 07:48
Tenuvian was getting impatient. Three levels left to go. He walked through the gate leading down the next section and ordered the gate guards to seal the gate behind him. He was not going to have Durnaur slip through his fingers.

His rangers took their new positions on either side of the street and resumed their search. It was slow going at best, and Tenuvian knew his men were getting tired. It was no easy feat to search the entire city.

Something then caught Tenuvian's eye. He recognized the house that was to his immidiate left. It was Lenar's. The new lieutenant would certainly be home, and Tenuvian decided to pay his newest officer a visit.

He strode over and rapped on the door three times.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 12:20
Lenar smiled slightly. "I told you..." and took three cookies, throwing an apologetic look at his mother.

Marthal smiled. "Oh, it's nothing, just my mother's old recipe with a few changes..." But her face shone with pride. "Do you know what? Take them with you! When you'll be leaving, I'll pack them for you. But I'll entrust them to you, milady, they wouldn't be safe with Lenar..." Then she turned to Lenar more seriously. "How long can you stay?"

Lenar swallowed. "I don't know... Something is going on in the city and the council will meet in two days. The rangers are in the state of readiness."

Somebody knocked on the door in that moment. "Did you invite someone else?" Marthal asked. Lenar shook his head and went to open the door.

He was surprised to see his Captain at the door of his home. He gaped for a few seconds and then saluted hastily but realized that he is still holding a cookie. Quickly he moved it to the other hand. "Captain? Did something happen? Do you need me?"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 12:50
Aerdaneth smiled at the woman, enjoying the interaction between mother and son. A slight ache of pain still ebbed in her heart, but she ignored it now. Such weakness was not becoming, and she would have none of it. She let it slip from her system as surely as she exhaled the air and the delightful smell of cookies.

She would not hold onto it.

"I would be honored to be the trusted bearer of these treasures, my lady," she winked at the woman.

Suddenly a knock interrupted their conversation. Lenar moved to the door, a puzzled expression on his face. When he opened it, Tenuvian's outline could be distinguished, the late evening sun glittering behind him.

Aerdaneth watched the men casually for a moment, until she read in their stiff forms some sort of imminent danger or disturbance. Rising slowly, she moved towards the two rangers, until she stood slightly behind Lenar. She could see Tenuvian's face clearly now and it was distraught by anger, frustration, and a trace of fear.

She did not speak, but stood silently listening as the two spoke.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After a brief moment, Durnaur was ushered into the presence of Lord Caedus. He sat in a rather ornate room, next to a lit fireplace. His face was illuminated by the flames that flickered. He was not a terribly old man, but traces of age were beginning to show on his face, and in his once raven black hair. A few silver strands had popped up in the carefully combed hair, and lines were beginning to show around the corners of his eyes, at the edges of his lips.

Durnaur bowed low, bending at the knee as well.

"My lord, Caedus, it is a pleasure to meet thee in person. Many a year have I heard only goodness concerning your personage, and now I consider it an honor to be allowed to speak before you."

"You, like many others of this Kingdom, may wonder why I am come. Perhaps you have heard rumors of this would be Usurper. Some even would call me a warmonger. But I plead the most innocence and honor, my lord, and would have a few moments to speak with you. If you please, sir..."

((Rivendell, how long do you want me to extend this conversation? Tenuvian seems hasty to find Durnaur...))
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 18, 2009 05:47
Eowilindë sat in the garden, mulling over the situation while she watched the wind blow the flowers around. She sighed. It was probably high time she went back to Marthal's house. After all, she was on excuse for the restroom, not a long walk.

She got up and walked back to the house. She was surprised when she saw Captain Tenuvian standing at the entrance, and a bunch of rangers seemingly searching around the street.

She wanted to go up to them, but was unsure. Tenuvian seemed to be talking hurriedly to Lenar. Something was wrong, that much was clear. She stepped out of the way of a ranger.

Then she saw the shadowy form of Aerdaneth come up behind Lenar. Well, if she can come up to them, I can too. she thought. She strode up to Tenuvian's side. They weren't talking at the moment, so she asked, "What's wrong?"
----------------------------------------------------

Aragorn paced in front of Arwen, who was looking at him expectantly. He decided to tell her what was going on.

He turned towards her. "Lord Durnuar has escaped and is missing. Captain Tenuvian is searching for him at this moment." He paused, not knowing what else to say. How could he voice the dozen fears he had? The million suspicions he couldn't prove?
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2009 08:02
OOC: a Decent amount of time, but not too long. The convo dosen't have to be amazingly ornate.

Tenuvian stared back at his startled lieutenant, attempting to hold back a smile. Seeing Lenar almost smack a cookie into his own face had nearly been more than he could take.

Collecting himslelf, he spoke.

"Lord Durnaur has managed to escape. Third comany and myself are currently seraching for him. I doubt he's here, for obvious reasons. Either way, you are still on leave and can, and probably should, remain here, Valar knows we all need the rest. Don't feel too troubled. We will find him."

Aerdaneth and Eowilinde had appeared behind Lenar, and Tenuvian has to work hard to not to look somewhat amazed.

Well, that was unexpected.

Here was Lenar, the youngest officer in the rangers, enjoying the company of two exceptionally beautiful women. While he, the Captain, was searching every level of the city, house by house. He had to give it to his new officer; he made friends quickly.

-------------------------------

Caedus gazed back at the Lord who now stood before him. The man was pale, almost as if ill, and shrouded in a black cloak. He listened intently to the mans words, using all his years of wisdom to try to read into whatever hidden message his visitor may have.

"Sit down with me, My lord, and let us discuss these difficult matters. I must admit, I have been most curious as to your views during this most interesting time."

[Edited on 19/2/2009 by ToRivendell]
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2009 12:45
Lenar felt suddenly inappropriate, idling when his comrades were searching the city, although they weren't from his unit. "I want to help you, Captain!" he said and realized that, with a cookie in hand, he doesn't sound very serious. Quickly he hided it behind his back and looked at Tenuvian.

Marthal came to see the unexpected visitor and heard the last sentences. "Lenar, this is the Captain you told me about? Welcome, sir! Shame on this Lord Durnaur for not allowing honest rangers to rest! And you look that you need it, no offense meant. Don't you want to come inside for a while? I've baked some cookies, they should be still warm."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen bit her lip. "He plots something. I have a bad feeling of this. I hope Tenuvian finds him soon..." She sighed. "We can do nothing now, just wait. I have the feeling that the darkness is gathering. I don't know what the future brings. Please, my lord... let us forget about him for a while and enjoy the light while it lasts. Would you come with me to walk in the garden?"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2009 04:42
Aerdaneth caught the tail end of Tenuvian's words to Lenar. Suddenly Eowilinde appeared on the other side of Lenar. Aerdaneth hadn't even noticed that she had entered the room. Turning her dark gaze back to Tenuvian she caught a look of surprise that flashed on his usually stern face.

What was it that had surprised him?

She was curious, but they were speaking again. Lenar, anxious as always to please his Captain, was volunteering to help again, looking a trace boyish with the cookie hidden behind his back. A smile teased the corners of Aerdaneth's lips--as well as Tenuvian's she noticed.

Soon Marthal entered the conversation in her bubbling, friendly way, and all the while Aerdaneth merely observed. She wondered now what her purpose was with these people. A friend, or two, she had surely found among them, but did the rest, the forces of the rangers, really want her here?

Throughout Minas Tirith she had received odd gazes, irritated stares, and suspicious glances...It was the norm, but she was beginning to wonder if she had a real reason for being here. She was wandering, lost in a world she had never known. All she knew was the wide, glittering seas.

Seas that did not judge her, but welcomed her with wide open arms and the kiss of sunshine on her skin.

Why had she left? She felt only lonely here. It was a world she did not understand. She did not belong.

Her thoughts were dark, and her tongue silent as she stood musing. Shaking her head, she focused again on the conversation.

Durnaur took a seat close to the Lord Caedus.

"Thank you, m'lord, you are most gracious. A most interesting time we do find ourselves in, and one which I think will turn out for the better. As I journeyed here from my home in Southern Gondor, my heart burned with a most intense fire. I surveyed these lands, and I saw at once both great sorrow and great potential. These lands are still harried by the orcs, there are a few Corsairs which still plague the costs, and there are still men, good soldiers, fathers and brothers, dying out there. But there is so much Gondor could be, if led in the right dirrection. A direction I, for one, plan on taking her, should I be given a chance..."

Durnaur smiled softly at the Lord, and stared blankly into the fire, as if his mind were on a thousand other thoughts, dreams, and plans for this Kingdom. In reality, he was sensing Caedus' movements and mood, discerning where he stood--and attempting once again to use his persuasive powers upon the man...
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2009 03:12
OOC: Sorry for the delay everyone, things have been absolutely crazy here!

"Stay here, Lieutenant." Replied Tenuvian. "I admire your willingness to assist me, but the well being of my soldiers means a lot to me. Stay here and relax; we all need some time off. I'll summon you and you're men if you're needed."

He then turned to Lenar's mother who had popped into the conversation quite suddenly.

"Madam, any other time I would gladly stay and join you. Unfortunately, my duties require me to stay out and about tonight. I promise I shall return though and dine with you when I can."

Lenar's mother glowed as he finished. Lenar however, seemed to grow a little paler.

He nodded, and then withdrew from the doorway, heading back out into the evening. His men had moved along, and he had to jog to catch back up to them down the road.

---------------------------------------------------------

Lord Caedus leaned back in his chair and considered what the Lord had said.

"I concur that this land has troubles, my lord Durnaur. However, I am not entirely convinced of your legitimacy of yet. But I do not dismiss everything lightly. I will at least listen to your claims and give you the opportunity to prove yourself. You have my ear, if not my immidate support."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 26, 2009 04:10
Eowilindë stared at Tenuvian. Lord Durnuar? Escaped? She scowled. Things were not looking good for King Elessar. But then again, things might start looking up since Lord Durnuar deliberatly disobeyed orders. That might put Durnuar in a bad light for some. Hopefully...

She then realized that she was favoring King Elessar. She decided that perhaps she had always favored his "side", since the Lady Arwen was elven, and that he had treated them with extreme kindness.

Tenuvian left hurriedly, trying to catch up with his men who were already farther down the street. Tenuvian was stressed, and rightly so.

She looked to Lenar, Marthal, and Aerdaneth. Aerdaneth showed no emotion, while Marthal and Lenar looked worried and concerned.

Not knowing what to do, she asked Lenar, "What do we do?"
-----------------------------------------

Aragorn paced in front of Arwen. He was aggravated, and he let it show. He stopped when Arwen spoke her gentle plea.

Swallowing, he looked at her. There really wasn't anything he could do until Tenuvian came to him, besides worrying and fretting. And worrying and fretting got you no where.

He cleared his throat. "Very well, veleth, I shall accompany you to the garden." He took her hand in his, and together they walked to the garden.

The sun came out from behind the clouds, and they appeared young again, as if time had been reversed and the two stood under the trees of Lothlorien. Yet none saw them there, alone and temperarily shielded from the cares and hurts of the world.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2009 10:56
Lenar looked after Tenuvian when the captain left to join his rangers in the search for Durnaur and his heart was suddenly heavy. There was something they have overlooked... But what?

Marthal disturbed his thoughts. "Likable fellow, your captain. But he seems somewhat tense. Nice from him to care for your well being. But I have the feeling that he needs some time off, himself."

Lenar nodded absentmindedly and then turned to return inside.

"What do we do?" asked Eowilindë suddenly, directing her question on Lenar. A quick flash of confusion and surprise appeared in his face. He wasn't used to people asking him what to do. Usually it was he who asked. Well, but he was a lieutenant now, wasn't he? Lieutenant are supposed to know what to do... He sighed. He'll have much to learn yet.

"I don't know..." he admitted. "I have a strange feeling that we missed something. Maybe we should really rest while we can, things may become crazy later..."

"Is it so bad?" asked Marthal quietly.

Lenar sighed. "It can be. You wasn't there when this Durnaur spoke on the seventh level. There is something strange about him, the crowd seemed charmed by his words." He almost charmed me, he thought. I would have no more fallen rangers... He was looking straightly at Lenar when speaking this, of that was he sure. But how did he know?

The possible solution came to him suddenly and it felt like an arrow piercing Galdor's heart. A haunted look was in his eyes as he turned to his companions. "Aerdaneth, Eowilindë... I fear... I fear there is a traitor among the rangers... Someone must have told him about Galdor. I know that he knew about him."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen had the feeling as if time was passing quickly. Too quickly... Something she wasn't used to in the long centuries of her life. Yet it was only these past years that she lived fully, the centuries before seemed empty and dull. And now she felt as if something screamed at her to value every day, every hour! As if everything could end tomorrow, as if everything could shatter in one gust of wind.

She turned to Aragorn and her eyes were deep like the far sea. "On Cerin Amroth we forsook both Shadow and Twilight..." she whispered. "It has no hold over us, because we walk beneath the sun. It is always there, even when the clouds veil it."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2009 06:00
Haunted eyes. A flash of painful memories that were not welcome. Suspicion tainting the young man's features.

All of these things Aerdaneth saw playing out on Lenar's face.

"Aerdaneth, Eowilindë... I fear... I fear there is a traitor among the rangers... Someone must have told him about Galdor. I know that he knew about him."

A trace of surprise shot through Aerdaneth, flickering for a moment in her dark eyes. She had not considered the thought. It was a very sobering idea, that a ranger would betray his own. An idea that burdened the heart, as a cloud covers the sun.

"Heavy words, my friend," Aerdaneth murmured, "but not foolish ones. If what you say is true, than things are truly gone awry in this kingdom, and the circumstance is more solemn even than it seemed before this. So many rangers knew about Ga--" Aerdaneth stopped, unsure whether Marthal knew of what had happened, "how could you know who it was in truth?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Durnaur's head dipped slightly in respect.

"Thank you, my lord, for your interest and fairness," he murmured.

Edging closer to the aging lord, Durnaur positioned himself where physical contact would not be imposible or unreasonable, and then varied his attack based on what he knew of the character he was assailing.

"Many more details will be brought to light in the council meeting, at least if I am allowed to speak freely there. For now, I will say that this is almost completely a matter of heritage, ancestry, bloodlines, the like.

"Quite simply, my lord, in retracing the ancestries of myself and the Lord Elessar, you will find that he has right to the throne through the bloodline of a woman. His chief connection to Elros, lord of the Numenoreans, of whom we descend, is through a woman. Mine, however, is through a man, albeit a second son...

"In the end, it may come down to which bloodline the lords of Gondor choose to be of more purity. Should the throne of Gondor be passed through women, or would it be better to rely rather on a second son. Times change, and customs as well, but I do not think that Gondor has fallen so far as to let women be the deciding factor in the fate of the kingdom..."

[Edited on 2/3/2009 by Adara_Cochava]
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2009 07:15
Tenuvian moved quickly down the street. Dusk was over, and it was clearly falling into night. Shadows were being overtaken by darkness is most places, and lights were dancing out of windows. Tenuvian glanced left and right to either side of the road and stopped suddenly. The house to his immidiate left was the Lord Caedus' home. Tenuvian knew the lord, and this was the most likely place to find the Lord Durnaur. Nothing of real interest was left in the city beyond this point. Unless they had missed Durnuar, he would be here.

Tenuvian signalled two of his rangers to form up on him. They both flanked him as he walked up to the main gate. A servant opened it with a creak and began to address him, but Tenuvian silenced him with a quick gesture as he strode through, his boots landing hard on the stone pavement beneath them. He reached the door, and beat on it twice with his greaved forearm.

----------------------------------------------

The Lord Caedus rose to speak, his mouth open, but stopped when he heard something. He turned and looked towards the front of his home. It sounded like his iron gate had creaked opened. Then he heard the unmistakable sound of boots in his. Suddenly they stopped, and two loud knocks came from his front door.

Caedus felt the tension in the air, and it seemed as if the Lord Durnaur had suddenly become very nervious, but also alert. Before either of them could say anything one of Caedus' servants appeared in the Atrium, and opened the door.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2009 12:19
(OOC: sorry for the delay)

Lenar felt a pang of pain in his shoulder like a remainder of what happened in Ithilien. But it had nothing to do with the wound that was healing nicely. He remembered a scene that he has seen somewhere... in a dream?. He ran through a scorched land. Ithilien! Ithilien under the shadow. The sharp pain... Arrow in his shoulder... not an orc arrow. Ranger arrow! The arrow of the traitor... Lenar closed his eyes in sudden dizziness.

Then he looked up again and determination was in his eyes. "I must find him. I don't know how, but I will find the traitor. And he will pay for what he has done!" With that, he stormed out of the house.

Marthal looked after him with confused expression. "Where is he going?" She asked. When she saw that her guests are about to leave after her son, she ran to the kitchen startled.

"Wait!" She returned just in time to catch them and handed a small package to Aerdaneth. "Here are the cookies! And tell my son that I'm waiting for him. And his explanation..."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2009 06:16
While they were standing still in the small house, there was a moment's silence. Aerdaneth was staring blankly at the floor when she noticed the faintest signs of motion in Lenar, who stood at her side. He was swaying slightly, the movement barely perceptible. Sweat had broken upon his young brow, and his eyes were glazed with pain and a thin film of choked back tears.

Aerdaneth moved to steady him with a hand, but he snapped suddenly from his trance. His eyes burned now with an intensity which Aerdaneth had not yet witnessed in the youth.

"I must find him. I don't know how, but I will find the traitor. And he will pay for what he has done!"

With these words, Lenar spun on his heal and rushed from the house. Aerdaneth cast a slightly stunned glance at the elf and then moved to follow him.

The young man's mother stayed her for a moment, however, pressing a small, warm packedge into her hands. Aerdaneth looked down at it and a faint smile teased the corners of her lips.

"No worries, dear lady, we will allow no harm to come upon him."

With this phrase, Aerdaneth turned and broke into a jog, clutching the packedge of cookies close to her side. Hitting the street, she quickly spotted Lenar's back as he strode down the street.

"Lenar! Wait, I will come also!" Aerdaneth called, sprinting to catch up.

She pulled up beside him and looked over at him with a trace of concern. He was gripping his wounded arm and biting his lip.

"Lenar, ease your pace, my friend. You will do nothing but harm to yourself, which in turn will harm your mother. Stop and think rashly for a moment, brave one, and ponder the path ahead as a ranger does..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Durnaur knew as soon as he heard the heavy, angry thudding on the door what was about to happen. A flash of frustration shot through him, followed quickly by a pang of unease. He sucked the air in sharply and released these feelings just as quickly.

A servant rushed to the door and swung it open and there stood the Captain Tenuvian, his face blazing with rage. Every muscle in his agile body was clenched, his fists curled in balls at his side. His eyes were a molent silver fire, boring into Durnaur.

Durnaur frowned slightly.

"Do you always intrude on the lords of Gondor as you do this night? I fear living so long in the wild has corrupted what manner your mother may have instilled in you. I am come to speak with the Lord Caedus, and you have interrupted. Speak, I assume you want something?"

Durnaur couldn't keep a taunting glint out of his eyes, but to Caedus he appeared nothing but righteously indignant.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 05, 2009 12:31
Everything happened so fast, Eowilindë almost wasn't sure how it happened. She blinked.

Tenuvian left very quickly, then, after a few seconds, Lenar suddenly burst his intentions and flew out the door. She observed in complete silence. Aerdaneth glanced at her, a glance that almost said, "What now?".

Right before they took pursuit of Lenar, Marthal insisted on their taking cookies, and Eowilindë let Aerdaneth handle all that. She instead remained silent, unmoved, like a statue. Then they were ready.

The two women jogged down the street, Eowilindë at that easy pace elves assume. It wasn't long before they spotted Lenar, and Aerdaneth called out to him. He stopped, looking a bit haggard.

"Lenar, ease your pace, my friend. You will do nothing but harm to yourself, which in turn will harm your mother. Stop and think rashly for a moment, brave one, and ponder the path ahead as a ranger does..."

Eowilindë nodded, then, distracted, looked around and observed her sorroundings. The air, the distant and ever-present sounds, the people walking by; breathing. Everything said they same story: something's not right. We are tense, about to break.. The elf shuddered.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2009 02:39
The Lord was taunting him. It took all of Tenuvian's resolve to not pull out his sword and end Durnaur's wretched life right then and there. But the King wanted him alive, and Tenuvian would keep him alive...for now.

But Tenuvian could play this game too. Years as an officer in the Rangers had taught him a thing or two about public relations, and he knew he could surprise Durnuar in this manner. He let a hint of a smile play across his face and he relaxed.

"Of course not, My Lord. I am here solely for safety. Surely you are not to naive as to believe there are none in this city who wish to end your life?"

He locked eyes with Durnaur as he finished that statement, allowing the hint to play across his face for a brief moment.

"The King wishes you to remain in the upper levels where we can garuntee your safety from these dissidents, so that you will make it safely to the upcoming council meeting. Now if you would please follow me; the hour grows late, and we should make haste back to your quarters."

Tenuvian let the slightest grin play across his face. He had pulled that off exactly as he had meant too: saving face while still communicating to Durnaur that coming with him was anything but optional. He stayed where he was in the doorway and waited for Durnaur's reply.

------------------------------------

The Lord Caedus stodd by idly for the moment, listening to the exchange between his guest and Captain Tenuvian. He decided to remain silent for the moment, believing more could be gained from his own silence at the moment.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2009 12:00
Lenar looked at Aerdaneth with impatience in his face. The burning anger at the traitor clouded his mind, and he didn't even recognize her first, he wanted to avoid her, he had to do something! But her words reached him and he looked at her, as if he first now realized that it's she who has spoken. He stopped and closed his eyes for a while. Two tears rolled off from under his eyelids.

"You are right..." he spoke quietly. "I... I didn't think. A ranger always ponders the path ahead. I don't know if I'm much of a ranger, but I try. I try to be... And now... How can I be a ranger when there is someone who appears like one, but in his heart he isn't? A traitor! I don't know whom to believe..."

He sighed and then appeared calm again. "Thank you, Aerdaneth. Will you help me to find him?" He pondered something for a while. "He knew about..." his voice trembled slightly, but he regained his composure. "...about Galdor. All rangers were assembled when this Durnaur entered the city." He spat the word like something bitter "In that time he knew it already. So the traitor must have sent him some message before he entered the city. Probably before the rangers returned to the city, too, it would be easier then slip out of the city unnoticed. But we weren't with the rangers on their way back. We should ask someone who was. But... whom to trust?"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2009 01:41
Reason returned slowly to Lenar's eyes, announced by the two tears that slipped silently down his face. Aerdaneth fought the urge to embrace him. So much pain in those eyes. Could it be he still blamed himself for Galdor's death? Could it be that regret and shame still haunted his footsteps?

He spoke, a plea in his voice.

Will you help me find him?...

"I do not know for what reasons we have been cast together in these ill adventures, Lenar, but I know that it must indeed be for some reason. I will help you find this traitor."

"In that time he knew it already. So the traitor must have sent him some message before he entered the city. Probably before the rangers returned to the city, too, it would be easier then slip out of the city unnoticed. But we weren't with the rangers on their way back. We should ask someone who was. But... whom to trust?"

Aerdaneth stood pondering the situation for a moment, staring blankly at the cobble stoned street. The sun had set by this time, and the lanterns of the city were lit. Torchlights flickered, causing their shadows to dance on the streets. Few were out and about in this hour.

Aerdaneth looked up.

"Gurthoniel. Nay, we cannot trust him, but inquire of him perhaps we may. Words passed between him and myself in the forests of Ithilien which were not of good humor. He holds nothing but mistrust and anger toward me, yet the answer to this riddle he may know...or at least he may reveal by accident. Again, I caution, we cannot trust him, at least this I deem, but let us go to him first. He led forth the band from the forests, he should know if any passed alone during their traveling."

Aerdaneth spun around to march toward Gurthoniel's quarters, only to remember she was a stranger in this city, and easily lost. She fought back a blush as she turned.

"Lead the way, Lenar, this is after all, your fair city."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 05, 2009 02:17
Eowilindë watched Lenar struggle with the pain of Galdor's death. Now you know a small token of what I feel everyday.... she thought. Yet even when tears fell down his face, hers remained stone cold. It was sometimes the only way she could find to deal with the pain. By hardening her emotions. She stared at Lenar with a blank look, appearing cold yet feeling sorrow threatening to burst.

"Gurthoniel. Nay, we cannot trust him, but inquire of him perhaps we may. Words passed between him and myself in the forests of Ithilien which were not of good humor. He holds nothing but mistrust and anger toward me, yet the answer to this riddle he may know...or at least he may reveal by accident. Again, I caution, we cannot trust him, at least this I deem, but let us go to him first. He led forth the band from the forests, he should know if any passed alone during their traveling."

Upon hearing this, the elf stirred. "Wait." With that, Lenar and Aerdaneth stopped and looked back. "Do not be too quick to judge this man. I know not what he said to you, Aerdaneth, but give him the benefit of the doubt till we learn more. For all we know, this traitor is someone else less obvious....and more dangerous." She looked each on directly in the eye, and held their gaze, letting her words sink in.

She then released her gaze and looked to the left, studying a boy, as if she never said anything.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2009 09:59
The Lord Durnaur was still not moving, so Tenuvian decided to make things move faster. He took a step forward and moved his hand slightly towards his sword hilt.

"We must go, my Lord. Time grows short, and we must make haste up to the sixth level.

Tenuvian could see it in Durnaur's eyes. He didn't want to leave, and felt he still had work to do. But so did Tenuvian. Once he got Durnaur back into his quarters, he had some serious business to take care of. Members of his regiment were becoming corrupt; tainted by the foul forces of evil at work, and he need to purge this taint quickly.

Reluctantly, Durnaur stepped forward, and Tenuvian let him pass through the doorway, quickly following after.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2009 01:12
Lenar smiled slightly at Aerdaneth. Indeed it seemed that there is some reason beyond their meeting. "Thank you..." he whispered. The echo of smile on his lips froze as he caught the look of Eowilindë's deep eyes. There was something cold in them, like the country in winter: the cold blanket of snow covering whatever scars the land bears. Lenar averted his gaze after a while, unable to take the gaze any longer and concentrated on the task that burned in his heart.

He respected Gurthoniel. The man seemed to understand the call of duty. But sometimes he was too harsh in his judgment and the duty he valued over friendship... an opposite of Aeghan. Maybe that was the reason why Tenuvian had them both as his lieutenants. It was true that he has left Tenuvian in the orc camp and spoke contemptible of Aerdaneth. But... a traitor? Lenar didn't know what to think.

He nodded to both Aerdaneth and Eowilindë. "We should speak with him. Then we will know more, I hope. This way..."

He headed to Gurthoniel's house. He realized he doesn't know much about the man. He didn't even know if he's married... Gurthoniel didn't speak much. At the door he stopped and stood still for a while, as if to deciding what to say. Then he knocked at the door.

After a while the door opened and the ranger appeared in them, frowning slightly at the unexpected visit.

"Greetings, Gurthoniel." Lenar spoke. "I'm sorry to disturb in these restless times, but there are a few things that I must know. On the way from Ithilien, did you meet someone? Did someone of the rangers speak with some stranger?"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2009 01:33
Durnaur hesitated a moment longer, anger boiling up inside of him.

But the ranger had won this round.

Turning, he bowed low before the Lord Caedus, laying a warm hand on the man's shoulder, just at the base of the neck. His fingers lay on a vein there. He could feel the blood pumping through the man's system.

Excellent position.

Locking eyes on the man, Durnaur smiled.

"Thank you so much, my lord, for your time and attention. I am most grateful. Fair well until we meet again, Lord Caedus, though it shall be soon, I pray."

With that, Durnaur turned and brushed past Tenuvian, his chin high and back arched. Pride flowed through his body, dancing up into his eyes.

Stupid ranger.
"Do not be too quick to judge this man. I know not what he said to you, Aerdaneth, but give him the benefit of the doubt till we learn more. For all we know, this traitor is someone else less obvious....and more dangerous."

Aerdaneth did not know what the elf lady meant by these words, but a shadow passed through her mind as an eagle on the winds. The thought was a troubled one, striking as fast as it receded.

What if they held her in suspicion...

Did she not look similar to those who traveled with this deceitful lord?

For a moment, her heart froze.

In an instant, it beat again, the thought banished, or at least pushed back for another moment's time to ponder it. She would have no fear. She had done nothing amiss, only that which was right.

She had rescued Galdor's body.

She had saved Tenuvian and the others.

She had no reason on this green earth to feel shame or fear. Against her will, a flash of annoyance rippled through her. Annoyance at the elf. Always so cold and contradictory. Aerdaneth shook her head slightly as she followed Lenar. She must not be so silly. In these times, they needed all the friends they could get. Alienating the elf would not help her, nor would treasuring bitterness.

They arrived at the small barrack where Gurthoniel stayed, and Lenar pounded on the door. A few moments later, the door opened half way and Gurthoniel's agitated face was seen. Behind him a light in the fireplace flickered.

Lenar spoke hastily to the Lieutenant, as was the young ranger's manner. As tense as the situation was, Aerdaneth found this amusing.

"Have you gone mad, Lenar? What has you knocking on doors at this hour of the night" Gurthoniel growled, casting a dark glare at Aerdaneth and the elf.

"Meet someone? We met no one on the trip hence. Why do you ask? Is it really so important as to disturb a man from his peace? And why bring you these women with you? It was bad enough to have to deal with them in Ithilien."

((I'm playing Gurthoniel?))
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2009 11:50
Lenar was taken aback by Gurthoniel's response for a moment. He hoped to get some answers, the other things didn't interest him. Now he realized that it's indeed a bit strange to come to knock at the man's door in this hour. He wished he could explain Gurthoniel the reason of his visit, but he was suspicious about the man. The trust among the rangers felt sacred to Lenar. He cursed this unknown traitor for ruining that feeling. He will pay for what he has done!

At the mention of the women he frowned slightly. The women were, with Tenuvian and Aeghan, the only ones he could trust now. "Yes," he spoke. "I bring them because I trust them, Gurthoniel. The matter is important. And it's important that you tell us everything you know."

He hesitated for a moment, but realized that Gurthoniel wouldn't tell him anything if Lenar doesn't tell him, why he asks. "I... I have a suspicion. I think there is a traitor in our rows... Please, Gurthoniel, I need to know it."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 09, 2009 02:17
The elf saw a brief look of annoyance pass over Aerdaneth's face. Inside she recoiled with shock. Does Aerdaneth not like me? Eowilindë's eyes bored into the woman's back, as if she could read her. What was the look for? She felt confused and even hurt. She had only said what needed to be said. She had heard somewhere that sometimes humans didn't see eye to eye with elves, even didn't like them. Suddenly Eowilindë felt very small and alone. What if none of them really liked her? What if it was just an act? Her faced paled a bit before she struggled and managed to hide any emotion. She felt even sick.

They walked to Gurthoniel's house without another word, each wrapped in their own thoughts. Normally she would have observed their sorroundings, but she didn't bother. When they knocked on the door, a very annoyed Gurthoniel opened it. And he didn't have anything nice to say.

Eowilindë was uneasy about the whole thing. Lenar meant well, but she wasn't sure the way he was handling the situation was the best way either. It was almost like he was asking Gurthoniel if he was the traitor! She wanted to pull him aside and tell him "maybe there's another way", but she instead bit her lip and said nothing. They must be tired of her already.

She turned slightly away to hide her face.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2009 09:38
After the long march back up to the sixth level, Tenuvian closed the gate behind the Lord Durnuar as he went back into his quarters. New guards stood at the gate, and they would be rotated our every hour to ensure another "inccident" didn't occur. He left his men, and headed up the stairs to the next level, coming out near the white tree. He entered the main chamber, and as soon as the heavy doors closed behind him and he was alone, he leaned against the wall for a moment and closed his eyes.

He hadn't slept in over a day now, and was getting very tired. All of the evening's excitement and their was still work to be done. He needed to find out who amoungst his men was working with Durnuar, and report to the king. He got back on his feet and walked slowly over to the King's chamber, knocking twice on its door.

"Enter!"

Tenuvian swung the door open and found his Lord inside with the Queen. He bowed, trying his best not to fall over from his exhuastion, and spoke.

"My King, the Lord Durnaur has been returned to his quarters. I found him at the Lord Caedus' home, but he may have visited other locations during the time he was free. Additionally, I have learned from reports that he apparantly has a spy within my ranks. Someone from the rangers is working with the enemy and aiding him. I do now know who yet, but I intend to find out as quickly as possible."
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 10, 2009 10:44
Aragorn was talking softly to Arwen when the sound he was waiting for occured. knock knock on the door. He sighed, then said, "Enter!" The door opened to reveal Tenuvian - a very tired Tenuvian.

Aragorn was relieved to see him. It seemed like it had been days with all this uneasy waiting. He listened to the report, then cleared his throat and said, "Well done, Captain. I'm afraid the work has only just begun, though. Tommorrow is the council, and regardless of the traitor you must get some rest. We will need your sharp mind." He paused, collecting his thoughts. Suddenly he asked, "Do you trust Lenar?" His gaze met Tenuvian's, and he could tell the questions was a bit of a surprise.

Aragorn waited for his answer, though he knew what it would be.

((sorry so short. will be gone all day tomorrow))
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2009 06:06
Aerdaneth bristled visibly at Gurthoniel's cutting words. Her chest expanded slightly and her face flickered two shades darker. She was hard pressed not to unleash her fury through the channel of words. When Lenar spoke up for her and the elf, she managed to contain herself.

A very strong dislike, bearing down on hate, was growing within her toward this Gurthoniel, however...

Gurthoniel, upon Lenar's explanation, shot a surprised look at the new lieutenant. He started to snort and dismiss the claim as silly, but suddenly stopped. The gears seemed to be turning in his mind.

Aerdaneth watched with distaste.

He looked up at Lenar again and shook his head.

"None left the group, Lenar. I am sure of it. We traveled in haste, lest some orcs pursue us. We hardly stopped to rest the horses, and made no camp. No, not one of our men slipped past my watch."

"I am not so ill a lieutenant as to let this pass," Gurthoniel added with a growl.

Suddenly Gurthoniel's eyes flew suspiciously to Aerdaneth. Aerdaneth knew the look immediately, saw that danger glinting in the man's eyes.

It took everything within her to keep from striking the man across the face.

"Lenar, you said you trusted these women, but are you so certain you should? This dark faced one looks much the same as those who accompany this false lord they call Durnaur...And who account for her whereabouts? Were you there with her?"

Gurthoniel's words sliced through Aerdaneth's heart. She feared to look at Lenar, afraid to see the mistrust that was inevitable. Oh the seeds of suspicion, how soon they could cut down a blooming friendship.

Aerdaneth could remain silent no longer.

"You deceitful snake! How dare you speak such words?! Were you taught no decency, to disrespect another simply because of her appearance. I loathe you, sir, in every deepest sense of the word. You are no ranger, you are a bitter, angry man in the position of one. I will stand idle under your attacks no longer. I have no fear, no cause to feel shame. I have done no evil, no, for the band which you claim as your done, I have done naught by good. I say this not to boast, but in defense of my honor. Another word and my self restraint will break loose as waters crash through a dam, being too long restrained."

Aerdaneth's eyes flashed like a blade crashing against another, glinting in the sunlight. Her face was afire with the passion of pride wounded, and a heart struck. Whisps of hair had escaped from their bondage, and framed her face. Altogether, there was something suddenly very wild and unruly in her air, as if she could at once either render Gurthoniel lifeless, or race off to the far ends of the earth.

She was not a woman to be trifled with, and Gurthoniel was on the edge of something he did not understand.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2009 03:42
Lenar just looked at Gurthoniel for a while, not able to find words. If Gurthoniel has spoken the truth, then they were on the beginning again. Everyone was suspicious. He sighed and wanted to apologize to Gurthoniel for disturbing him, when he realized that Gurthoniel is looking at Aerdaneth darkly. Lenar didn't like that look, for some reason it felt like a personal offense to him.
"Lenar, you said you trusted these women, but are you so certain you should? This dark faced one looks much the same as those who accompany this false lord they call Durnaur...And who account for her whereabouts? Were you there with her?"
"Yes, I was!" Lenar wanted to say. I didn's see her, but she was there at the orc camp when I was. But... a voice of slight doubt echoed in his mind: what was she doing there? Alone, near an orc camp? Did she really brought Galdor's body from compassion? Or did she need a pretense to join the rangers? Did she rescue Tenuvian just to earn their trust?

Aerdaneth raised her voice against Gurthoniel and Lenar watched her face. There was anger in her features, something wild and untamed and passionate. And suddenly Lenar knew that this woman would never lie to him: her nature was straightforward, even rude, but there were no lies.

He stepped between the two and looked calmly into Aerdaneth's eyes. "Please, my lady, those are blunt words. You don't know enough about this man to have the right to judge him. Just like he does not have the right to judge you." He turned to Gurthoniel. "I'm sorry for disturbing you, Lieutenant. You have the right to doubt. But I'm certain in my trust."

He turned to leave, but after a few steps he swayed slightly, the exhaustion from the long day with the still healing wound and from the heavy knowledge that there is a traitor finally catching with him.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 13, 2009 04:30
Eowilindë stared at Aerdaneth. Gurthoniel had a point, but then again he wasn't saying where he had been! Both were acting rash.

Though Aerdaneth's reaction surprised Eowilindë the most. The woman could dish it out when she wanted too. Then again, so could most anyone if they were in the mood, and prodded so.

The elf studied both of them and only got more confused for the effort. Neither could come up with good evidence, because each had been alone. Who was lying? Who was telling the truth? Eowilindë desperatly wanted to believe Aerdaneth. No, they didn't know each other that well, but she had been around the Haradrim longer than this ranger. Yet still be careful not to make hasty judgements. she reminded herself.

Lenar stepped in between the two, who were boring holes into the other with their eyes. It would probably be best if they didn't see each other for awhile, she mused. Lenar turned to leave, and stumbled a bit. The elf reached out and took hold of his arm at the elbow to steady him. Once he regained his balance, she let go of him. She stared at her hand. For all you know, Lenar is the traitor. But somehow she knew it wasn't true. No, it couldn't be true, she was sure of it.

The trio walked away from the house. Only when they were out of earshot of Gurthoniel did Eowilindë speak. "We need rest. We can always take up the search tomorrow during the council. It is late and you of all people, Lenar, are most worn." she looked up at the rising moon. "Do you need to go back the the Houses of Healing, Lenar?" she added, once she saw his face again. He looked tired and ragged.

Silence engulfed them briefly, and in this breif moment she wondered how they would ever find the traitor. There would only be suspicions and darkness unless they caught this man - or woman - red handed. The task seemed nearly impossible. Three, watching a whole brigade? Suddenly she felt very tired.

Eowilindë decided she would retire to the gardens. There she could at least sing away the night hours in a temporary, if false, peace.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2009 06:48
Aerdaneth's hot gaze was interupted by Lenar, as the young lieutenant stepped between herself and Gurthoniel. Lenar's words were low and firm, not unkind words. Yet, he offered no reassurance of his trust.

Aerdaneth was at the moment still to angry to care. She did not look at the elf either, assuming in her rage that the woman felt as did Gurthoniel. She at least would be suspicious of Aerdaneth.

She who trusted no one.

When Lenar turned and swayed, Aerdaneth did not see it, she was still staring at Gurthoniel, who glared defiantly back. For a long moment, she did not move. Her dark eyes flashed, and she turned suddenly, following Lenar and the elf woman toward their lodgings.

Aerdaneth was too full of fury and hurt to bear a slow pace. Hastening her stride, she moved around Lenar and the elf, passing them and striding before them toward their temporary home.

She passed into the house, and to her chamber, but could not rest. She paced the room, fuming. Her body ached for sleep, the wound on her leg pleading for relief. But there was a fire in her chest and it would not let her do so.

Suddenly, she could bear the walls that barred her in no longer. Without a thought to how things would appear, she left the room and ran with all haste to the nearby stables.

There was the little bay horse she had come to call her own. No one had challenged her for it. And the beast stood relatively calmly in its stall. Aerdaneth slipped into the stall and approached the beast, her anger fading away.

"Greetings, my friend," she murmured softly, "you have no doubt of me, have you, flighty one? No, you are too sweet for that. I will be better to you than your last master, that I will swear to you. But I have given you no name, have I? Very well, I shall call you Rista ."

The horse snorted softly, and looked as docile as the flighty creature could. Aerdaneth moved to the animal and buried her face in its mane. She inhaled deeply the smell of horse and hay, felt the animal's warmth against her face.

And her heart felt suddenly empty, as the ashes appear forlorn after so fierce a fire. Tears streamed from her eyes, though she fought them. The horse nuzzled her stomach and breathed on her arm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Three hours later, both woman and beast were asleep in one corner of the stall. Aerdaneth's lithe body was curled up in the crook of the beast's neck, and Rista, flighty creature that he was, seemed to have finally found his home. His head rested on her lap, eyes closed and sides slowly lifting and falling as he slept.

Aerdaneth's face was stained with tears, her hair messed up. But she slept soundly, untroubled by dreams.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2009 07:09
"My Lord, I do trust him. Though young, the man has proven himself to me. I have already related to you what deeds he accomplished in Ithilien and what has warranted his promotion. Indeed, he is too young to the officer corps to be corrupted by anything as of yet. He is young and idealistic, untainted by the bitterness that so often comes with experience. Pray tell me though Lord, why this question?"

Tenuvian had his suspicions, and believed they were about to be reinforced by the King. Someone in his group was indeed helping the enemy, and he needed to find out who it was quickly, or all might come undone.
<< First678910Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email