Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Journey of the Young - the role play
on: April 13, 2009 02:20
Marigold looked up at Lena questioningly, but it was apparent that she did not plan on saying any more. She forced a grateful smile, feeling somewhat relieved and much calmer.

“Thank you. I’m glad you will come with me.” She hesitated, not wanting to seem pushy. “We should probably go pretty soon if we want to catch up with the King…”

Even though she was worried about Barahir, she felt a twinge of regret at having to leave Minas Tirith so soon after arriving. If only they had been able to come under different circumstances. Still, she thought, this was an adventure, wasn’t it? She had always liked the idea of having an adventure.

But not like this, she argued. Hobbits weren’t supposed to get into things like this. None of them ever did, except for the ones in the stories from when her great-grandfather Samwise was alive. She frowned, trying to clear her head.

She turned to Lena again. “It will take a few days to get to Rohan, right? All of our provisions are back where Barahir was captured. I have a little money,” she fingered the coins she had tied in her pocket, “so we should probably get some food for the road.”

She wished there was some way that they could get word to Barahir that they were going for help. But of course there wasn’t, not without the possibility of attracting Glicyn’s attention. And that wasn’t exactly something they were going for right now.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. He would be all right. She and Lena would be all right. Everything would be all right. She opened her eyes and pressed her fingertips together, thinking with a sinking heart about the journey ahead.

Beorhtir was feeling very irritable. He had had to get up very early that morning. "Remember?" his wife, Eades, had said upon waking him up. "You have business in Gondor. You must be on the road by dawn."

He felt bad for deceiving her, but it was for her own good. If she thought he was going away on business, she wouldn't have to pretend anything to anyone else.

It was still dark when he slipped out the door of their house and headed to the stable to saddle his horse.

[Edited on 4/14/2009 by WestoftheMoon58]
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
on: April 24, 2009 04:26
(Can the man wake soon, West. )

As they carried the man through the woods, Virtu studied his face. They were rugged and there was an expression she could not read upon it. Was it worry? When he slipped from her grasp, she cougth him just before his feet hit the ground and then shifted his weight so the carrying was easier.

Finally, they reached their little fire. Gently she sat his feet down. Getting onto her hands and knees, she crawled over to the man’s head and examined the wound at the back of the head. "It is not as bad as it looks," she said slowly.

She sat with her knees tucked under her. The elf gazed at the man. Slowly, she reached out and caressed his face slowly and gently. "I know this man. He has been in my dreams," Virtu said, her voice wavering slowly, "I saw him hurt in my dreams. I saw that clearing too."

The elf looked up at her friend. "Tell me of my past," she demanded, "Who am I other than Virtu Desole`? Where did I come from? Who are my parents? Why do I dream of a blond elf? Why did I dream of him and where to find him? Tell me now!"

~*~*~

"We should hurry and leave," Lena said, "The later it gets the less time we have to trouble. Plus, the sooner someone might find you or I."

Lena trotted away from the hobbit. She did not wait. She was unaccustomed to waiting. "I could not leave him to the dungeons," she said. Her voice could be barely heard above the din of the city.

“We need not stop for food nor should we,” Lena said, “It is dangerous and might seem suspicious if we bought food for a few days. I can hunt and I am sure you know the berries and herbs that are edible. We will live off the land.”

Lena trotted to the exit of the city. “Come on,” she said, “We have not all day.”
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: April 25, 2009 04:02
((Did you mean me, Stella? ))

Aruviel stared at Virtu. A million possibilities swam through her head as she considered the demand the young elf had made. To tell or not to tell? One part of her warned her that too much was yet at stake, to tell would be disatrous should they be recaptured. They did not even know if this man was friend or foe, though Aruviel guessed friend, for he bore the crest of Gondor.

Then there was the option of telling Virtu. Oh how she desperatly wanted to tell the girl! How she wanted to lay bare all the secrets that she had kept locked up for so long! Aruviel had never outright said she knew the girl's past, but Virtu was smart and guessed much.

Each thought was considered in a span of a few seconds. Deep down in her heart she knew she could not tell, nay, not yet. It pained her, but too much was still at stake.

She opened her mouth to speak, when suddenly a groan from the man caught both their attention.
-------------------------------------------

Eldarion slowly became aware of his senses. What had happened....? He tried opening his eyes, but when he did he immediantly closed them again and groaned. His head hurt so much. He winced in pain. It seemed to be coming from the back of his head. What did he do?

Then slowly it all came back to him. The hunt, the division, the horse, the fall. When Aretul spooked, I must have fallen off and hit my head...

Eldarion attempted to open his eyes again, noting that he could feel everything at least. He tried not to move. His eyes flickered open, and he beheld one of the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. She was young, with dark, rich brown hair peeped out from behind her hood. Her eyes were a frightening, yet comforting blue. He marveled, then moved slightly. Pain coursed down his back and he gasped again, and fought to keep from blacking out.
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2009 12:08
“All right,” said Marigold quickly, brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes and hurrying to catch up with Lena. She thought of the prospect of “living off the land” for the next few days. She knew she could find berries and roots, because her mother had had an extensive herb garden when Marigold still lived in the Shire.

Marigold found those memories easily among the piles she had acquired during her lifetime. She remembered her mother, Mariel, kneeling in the garden, covered with dirt up to her elbows. Marigold sometimes sat with her, pulling up weeds. Mariel would hold up the little seed packages before planting the seeds, and tell Marigold what each one was. “This is thyme, a perennial, used for flavoring food. It’s a part of the mint family, Mari dear. Remember the mint we planted earlier this morning?...”

Marigold didn’t always pay very close attention to the long descriptions her mother gave for each plant, but she remembered the basics well enough. That wasn’t really what she was worried about.

What bothered her was the fair amount of nothing between Minas Tirith and Edoras, or wherever in Rohan Eldarion had gone. It was so big, and would take her so far away from her home in Ithilien and Barahir in Minas Tirith. She concentrated on the road beneath her feet so she wouldn’t get a headache from thinking too hard.

Kicking pebbles, she followed Lena out of the city. Marigold didn’t even think of looking back, and when she finally did, the city’s towers were depressingly distant. She stood up straighter and she and Lena continued on.

Beorhtír’s spirits had risen by the time he was well out of Edoras. He liked the feeling of freedom he got from riding under a blue sky, with no buildings to be seen. He was almost cheerful as he gently urged his horse on faster.

He thought of the news Eades had given him a week before. She was pregnant with their first child. A smile crossed his lips. Out here, he thought, he didn’t have to worry about Glicyn or his plans. He could imagine that he was carefree and had no troubles to cloud his days.

If the child was a boy, he would be named Héan, meaning “Great One”. Perhaps, thought Beorhtír, the boy would be a greater man than his father.

He tugged the reigns, directing the horse a little more to the south. Jarred from his thoughts, he focused on the mission before him.

He was to find the girl Lena and hopefully bring her to Glicyn, or if he had to, back to Edoras. The “back to Edoras” alternative was slightly less ideal, considering that King Eldarion was currently in Rohan. But he would do what he had to.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2009 02:01
((*feels guilty* Well, I'm back... I finally got inspiration!))

"Whatever Glicyn's up to, we need to stop it," said the Prince.

"But how are we going to get out of here?" asked Owec despairingly. "Glicyn will have made sure that it's impossible for us to escape!"

Darenis felt the door, hoping he could find an escape route. "Hmph. Seems to be bolted pretty firmly to the wall." He looked back over his shoulder. "Does anyone have--"

"Wait!" said Prince Elphir. "Look!" He scrambled to his feet and silently padded over to the door. Stopping near one side, he gestured.

"The hinges are on the inside..." said Darenis, a slow smile creeping across his face.

"Owec, give me your belt," said Elphir. The cloth merchant reluctantly complied.

"Now," said Elphir, working at the hinges with the metal pick, "we just need to get out of here."

The hingepin was merely a thin strip of metal flattened at both ends. Elphir hammered on it with the belt, trying to reverse the flattening on one of the ends of the bottom hingepin so it could be slid out. "It's tough work," he said over his shoulder, gritting his teeth. "I reckon I could get rid of this hingepin in, say, an hour."

Darenis craned his neck, trying to see through the spyhole in the door. "I can't see any guards," he said. "Hopefully there won't be any along for awhile yet."

"If one does come along, we'll have to try to get his weapon," said Elphir. "If we're armed, we'll stand a chance."

The hours wore on as the imprisoned quartet sat despondently in their cell, the only noise being Elphir's banging against the hingepin as he sought to forge a way of escape.

[Edited on 5/5/2009 by arvanion898]
~Stella~
Send Message
on: May 07, 2009 04:04
(Yup, Erucenindë, I do)

Virtu stared at the human. Her soft blue eyes were wide with concern. She kept her hand rested gently upon his cheek. With one slender finger she stroked it soothingly. “Poor man,” the elf whispered, but that was all the said for awhile. Her mind was elsewhere. Virtu wanted desperately to know who she was and it was infuriating not to know. Finally, she had enough.

She looked up at Aruviel. “You must tell me now. I am tired of not knowing who I am,” Virtu said. Her voice was firm, but not severe. “Please, let me know. I have to. He is no danger to us.” She shook her head and stared down at the man. “What do you fear in my knowing? If we are captured again, I won’t say. What matters to them? You protect me so… steadfastly. Why?”

The elf looked down at the man when he made a sound. “Shh,” she whispered, “You are among friends. You need not worry. Stay calm. Don’t move.” Virtu looked down at the man. Her blue eyes shone in the darkness; reflecting the light of the fire. Fear shined in her eyes as she stared at the man. “My name is Virtu,” she said quietly, stroking the man’s cheek again.

~*~*~

“We have to be careful. I am sure some people saw us come in together. And the fact we are leaving in such a manner, that might bring some suspicions. Especially if we buy food. There is more to eat upon the plains than you would suspect,” Lena explained. Her voice was calm and full of confidence.

“Come on,” Lena said as she lead them out of the city. “Stay close to me. We need not get separated if we can help it. If you see anything that I don’t appear to hear, alert me to it.” Inwardly, she winced. Lena did not like accepting help, but she realized that this was a case where she needed to be alerted of anything. Her ears were good, but not perfect.

Lena was not a talker and even with the hobbit, this fact was no exception. She would stop and listen every once in awhile and then say ‘come on’, but that was all she would say. It was like that for two days. Lena would not let them stop for long – only a few hours at a time.

But, on the 2nd night, she felt that they were close enough and safe enough to stop for the night. “We will camp here,” Lena said as she sat down under one of the few trees, but she soon stood. “Start a fire, will you? I will go find us a coney for dinner,” Lena said as she headed off.

Hearing a sound, she stopped. “Marigold,” she called wheeling around and trying to find the sound of who or what had made the noise. “Marigold, is it you?”

(May it be Beorhtír?)
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 07, 2009 05:19
Eldarion felt her calming caress; heard her soothing words. This must be a dream... But the pain was all to real, and Eldarion knew this was no dream.

Which brought the question, who exactly were these people?

He gritted his teeth and forced himself up on his elbows, breathing heavy from the effort and pain. He stared at the woman named Virtu. Then another woman came in view, this one older but beauty still clinged to her. "I am Aruviel." she said.

He swallowed and then spoke. "Where are we? I mean, how did you find me? I must get back to my patrol."

Observations swam through his head. Like one, both names sounded oddly elvish. Two... he had no time to think more on it when suddenly pain caused him to collapse back on the ground.
------------------------------------------
Aruviel refused to say. Now was not the time. Perhaps when the man slept, she would tell Virtu. She was after all, old enough. But she still feared for her.... there was too much to Virtu yet that the young woman had not even imagined....
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2009 02:11
“Stay close to me. We need not get separated if we can help it. If you see anything that I don’t appear to hear, alert me to it.”

“All right,” said Marigold again, following Lena. She didn’t have much worry of being separated. She figured it would be hard to get lost if it were just the two of them in the middle of nowhere. She frowned, deciding she would never get used to the thought of “nowhere”. Ithilien was isolated enough for her.

The next two days were difficult. Marigold felt inclined to be quiet since Lena clearly didn’t want to talk. Occasionally she would talk, mostly to herself, just to interrupt the deep silence, but her voice would get softer and softer as the silence won out until she couldn’t say anything more. Lena hardly seemed to listen, and Marigold was growing increasingly exhausted. If it was anyone other than Barahir who was in trouble, she thought, she would have given up long ago.

Marigold sank down gratefully beneath a tree when Lena allowed them to stop on the second night. She had thought her feet were about to give out under her. She looked up when Lena made her request, and after she had gone the hobbit set about the tedious task of lighting a fire.

She had never been good at it, and her brow wrinkled in concentration as she tried to make a spark. It took her a good amount of time to light a few dry blades of grass on fire, and she gritted her teeth every time she added a small twig to the steadily growing blaze, praying it would not go out. Thankfully, it didn’t.

She looked around curiously and a little nervously, wondering where Lena had gone and when she was coming back. She felt safe with a fire in front of her, but it was always nice to have another person with you at nighttime, even if that person wasn’t at all talkative.

Beorhtír had been travelling for about a day, and he had made better progress than he had expected. Most of the day he had spent staring out into space and imagining what life would be like if he had no problems. He shook his head, thinking that he was quite hopeless.

By the time the sun had begun to set, he was looking for a place to spend the night. Anything, he decided, would be all right, as long as it was sheltered. He looked up at the sky above him and wondered if it looked like rain. That would be just his luck, to get caught in a storm. It had happened to him numerous times before.

He headed toward a small clump of trees, and after dismounting he tied his horse to one of the trees at the edge. He started at a sudden movement not far away, and his sharp eyes spotted a girl with long, light hair in the gathering dusk. What is a girl doing here, all alone? he wondered. He headed in her direction.

He heard her call out as he approached, and decided there must be someone else with her, someone named Marigold. He hesitated, then stepped forward. “My name is Beorhtír, and I am travelling to Minas Tirith. May I ask who you are, and what you are doing here?”
~Stella~
Send Message
on: May 25, 2009 04:21
Virtu backed away from the man. She held one hand in the other daintily. With fear, she stared at him. The elf looked away. Her gaze drifting to the fire. Against her pallid cheek, the light danced and turned it a warn hue.

“I do not know where we are,” she said, shaking her head, “I have seen many visions of you and knew where to find you.” She looked even further from his gaze so that she was staring at her lap. “You are hurt. You must stay here,” Virtu said gently.

~*~*~*~

Lena grasped her staff. She moved it in front of her to see where the speaker was. It stopped against the leg of Beorhtír. The woman turned so that she was in his direction and placed her staff in front of her with both hands wrapped tightly around it. In the night, she stood tall. Her hair was waving behind her and there was a hint of regality in how she stood. Her Rohan bloodline was apparent and her features were familiar; similar to that of Eomer or maybe Eowyn. But, there was a wildness to her.

“Hail Beorhtír,” she said, “I am Lena.” The woman stopped speaking for a moment. She was thinking of what to say (or not to say). “I suppose, but my business is really my own. I am heading to my homeland of Rohan. My comrade and I are in search of someone. Who and why, I am not inclined to tell you.” She shifted. Uneasiness settled over her. Something did not seem right. Lena furrowed her brow as she thought it over, but the young woman found no answers.

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 31, 2009 10:46
Aruviel hurried over to the man's side. "You musn't move around alot, sir. You are badly wounded and Virtu is right. You must stay here."

Eldarion didn't like to hear those words, but he knew they were both right. Aruviel, Virtu... Both those names sounded familiar, but he couldn't place where he had heard them before. Two elves....

“I do not know where we are,” she said, shaking her head, “I have seen many visions of you and knew where to find you.”

Visions? And how odd that they would not know where they were either. "I know we are about 7 hour ride from Edoras. That is, if I am not far from where I last remembered..."

He looked at both of them. It was then that he noticed the child, who had come up next to Aruviel. "Mommy!" the child said, "The fire is dying!"

Eldarion looked at both of them again, a questioning look in his eyes. "What is going on?" he demanded. "Two she-elves and a child do not go wandering around in the snow-laden woods by themselves, without hardly any provisions or horses."
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2009 01:31
Beorhtír stepped back when her staff touched his leg. He examined her closer in the fading light, and had to swallow hard to keep from gasping out loud. She almost looked like a queen, regal and proud.

He had no doubt that she was the woman he had been ordered to search for, and when she said that her name was Lena, it was sealed. He had to either get her to Minas Tirith or Rohan. Well, he thought, that would be easy. She was already headed to Rohan. Now all he had to do was get word to Glicyn and keep her away from Eldarion.

Marigold finally got tired of waiting for Lena. She got up and wandered away from the fire. Suddenly, she heard a horse whinny softly. The unexpected sound made her jump. She walked warily in the direction that the noise had come from, and found a horse tied to a tree at the edge of the trees.

She caught sight of two figures standing a little ways away. One was definitely Lena, but the other she did not recognize. She hurried towards them. When she was within hearing distance, she called “Lena? Is everything all right?”

She surveyed the unfamiliar man. She shivered involuntarily as his dark eyes caught hers for a moment. “You must be Marigold, then, eh?” he asked.

Beorhtír did not know what to make of the hobbit. Glicyn had not mentioned her at all. It didn’t make much of a difference, though. She certainly wouldn’t be a threat.

“Pleasure to meet you,” he said. “Do you mind if I share your camp tonight, for lack of a better place to stay? And then we will go our separate ways in the morning.”

He was slowly forming a plan in his mind. Judging from her staff, he guessed that Lena didn’t have very good eyesight. And the hobbit wouldn’t be able to see very well, either, over long distances. He could follow them back to Rohan, and then take it from there.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: June 13, 2009 04:13
Virtu continued to study the man. In the flickering firelight, her blue eyes shone. She drew her cloak around her tightly. The wind that blew was very brisk and cool. “It is not safe to travel in this weather, sir,” she said. Her voice was soft and thick.

She frowned. “Where is Edoras,” she asked slowly, “It sounds familiar.” The elf looked over at Aruviel. Her cheeks flush in embarrassment. The elf lowers her head; her black locks veiled her face.

She looked over at the child. “We will take care of it, child. Do not worry. Come here and I’ll sing you to sleep,” she said. Virtu looked up at the man. She swallowed.

“Sir, I trust you are friend,” she began, “We were captured many years ago. I was but a mere child when it happened. I do not know who I am, except that my name is Virtu Desole, and Aruviel is my friend. Our captor chose i]Aruviel as his mate of sorts, but there was no love between either, and he hurt her. We escaped finally after many attempts.”

~*~*~*~*~

“I might not be able to see well, but I can see enough to know you are studying me. I wish you would not do that. It is disconcerting,” Lena said. Her voice was crisp, but low. The wind picked up and blew her hair into her face. She reached and brushed it away. “Why did you study me so?”

She frowned. Her brow wrinkled in concentration. Something did not seem right. “Not at all. As long as you don’t mind starting at day break,” she said, going back to the camp. Lena lay down and fell asleep, but she kept one ear open for anything.

Before dawn had come, Lena was up again. She shook Marigold awake and did the same to the man. Picking up her staff, she headed to Rohan.

It was midday when Rohan loomed above. She looked up at the house. “My homeland,” she whispered as she entered. She felt eyes on her. Lena heard whispers of her being forgotten royalty. She was even asked, but Lena never asked. “Where would he be?” she asked to no one in particular.

(Who have they come to see? I have forgotten. :blush:

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 10:09
“Where is Edoras,”

What in the world? They didn't know where that was?

Eldarion glanced back and forth between them all, a confused look on his face. But then Virtu chose to explain part of their plight.

"You have indeed been through much. I cannot fathom what all you went through... " Eldarion glanced at the innocent child, feeling pity for him. "I will do what I can, though I'm afraid that isn't much right now. My horse has ran away, and the patrol I was with was searching for wargs. I doubt we could find them, unless perhaps they came looking for me." He paused. He suddenly realized they had no idea who he was, and he had not told them his name either. He quickly came to a decision. He would not yet tell them who he really was. Not until he was sure they meant him no harm....

"Forgive me, I have not even told you my name. My name is Eldarion, son of Aragorn. Let us rest this night, and perhaps I will be well enough to walk tomorrow."

"Rest, Eldarion, and we will be forever in your debt if you can lead us to Edoras, for that is all I ask. Take us to Edoras, and we will be of no more burden to you." Aruviel said. She smiled. Maybe, just maybe, they would be able to lead normal lives, and she could tell Virtu who she really is. Then, then maybe, one day go back to Mirkwood. Where they belonged.

"Come, Virtu, Duryn, let us rest as well."

She laid down, and dreamt of the woods she called her home.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2009 02:50
After long hours of working, Elphir finally made a triumphant sound and produced the top hingepin. "If I'm right, the only thing holding that door shut is the bolt. In that case..."

The Prince backed up and rushed headlong at the door. There was a screeching sound as the bolt's cradle pulled free from the wall, and an almighty crash as the door fell flat in the hallway. Elphir yanked the bolt from under the door and hefted it. "It's not much as a weapon, but it will do. Now, to find that thrice-blasted advisor..."

"The only way to go is up," said Darenis. "We don't want to be trapped down here, at any rate."

"We'll need real weapons first," said Elphir ruefully. "I know where the armory is... follow me!" The others raced down the hallway after him.

((OOC: Will edit more later. D.E. time.))
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2009 01:08
“I might not be able to see well, but I can see enough to know you are studying me. I wish you would not do that. It is disconcerting. Why did you study me so?”

“Sorry,” Beorhtír answered Lena dismissively.

The next morning he blinked in the dark as Lena shook him awake. At first he couldn’t remember where he was, or where he was going. He sat up and thought for a moment before everything came back to him. He sighed, ate a quick breakfast, and then proceeded to follow Lena and Marigold at a distance to Rohan. They arrived several hours later, and Beorhtír was starting to think about lunch.

He followed the two travelers into Edoras, and then turned his horse to go in a different direction. He headed down a narrow street between several small houses before reaching the one he was looking for. He slid off his horse, tied it to a post, and knocked on the door. Two minutes later, a small man with thick eyebrows and a pointy nose answered the door. “Beorhtír!” the man gasped. “I was not expecting you. Please, come in.”

Beorhtír followed the man into the house, closing the door behind him.
“What can I do for you?” the man asked.
“I have a message I need delivered to Minas Tirith,” Beorhtír answered, fixing the man with his most disconcerting stare.
“Well…” the man hesitated, then quailed under Beorhtír’s gaze. “I can take it tomorrow. Will that be all right?”
“Is there no one who can take it today?”
The man closed his eyes, thinking. “There might be someone. I’ll look into it right away. Whatever the case, the message will be delivered as soon as possible.”
“All right,” agreed Beorhtír. He borrowed a piece of paper, and wrote:

To Glicyn: Lena and her hobbit friend are here in Edoras. I expect they are looking for Eldarion. I will keep them here until you can send someone. –Beorhtír.

Meanwhile, Marigold trailed Lena into the city, hearing the whispers that followed them. They set off in search of King Eldarion.

Barahir was thrilled when the Prince got the prison door open, and hurried after the others down the hall toward the armory.

~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 07, 2009 05:02

Virtu Desole looked at Eldarion. Her head was cocked to one side as she studied the man. She had no idea how he would react to her explanation. “I know little of my past before our time there. I would tell you more, if I could,” she said. Virtu bowed her head, feeling shame and sadness for not knowing.

“Yes,” she said quietly, “Thank-you, sir.” Virtu looked up at him. “It is too late to travel. You are hurt and need rest. We all do.” her eyebrow rose at the name of his father. “That name sounds quite familiar. How do I know it?” she asked.

As she lay down, she thought of the name. But, came to no understanding nor could she fathom it. The woman did not sleep. She stared at Eldarion the whole night. Her mind was reeling and her heart pounded. As dawn peeked over the horizon, she sat up and waited for the other to rouse.

~*~*~*~

Lena was determined to save him. That meant finding Eldarion. Though it had been years, she knew her way through the city. She soon was upon the King’s home. She barged into the room. “Where is the king?” she demanded to the room.

“M’ Lady,” the lady gasped.”I thought you had and your parents had…”

“Now is not the time to discuss this. Where is your King? I need him desperately.”

“Oh, he is gone out on a parole of the kingdoms. What do you…” the woman began, but never finished because Lena turned and left.

“We have to leave,” Lena said to Marigold, “He’s not here.”
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: July 07, 2009 07:33
Eldarion awoke the next morning to breakfast being made over a fire. Virtu and Aruviel were both up, cooking, but the little boy was still asleep, wrapped in a blanket.

Eldarion sat up, wincing at the pain. At least he felt better than he had the day before. Yesterday he wouldn't have even been able to sit up, though now his head and back still complained. Well, it'll have to be good enough to travel.

He scooted over to the fire. "Good morning ladies." Aruviel nodded and replied, "Good morning to you as well. Are you feeling any better?"

"Yes, thank you. Much better. But I bet I would feel better with some of that breakfast in me." he said, smiling.

Aruviel only smiled briefly in return. "I'm afraid it isn't much, some measly herbs, but it'll do." She handed him the makeshift leaf plate, and he ate hungrily. They all ate in turn. Finally they were finished, and Eldarion stood up for the first time since his fall. At first, he wobbled and had to lean against a tree, for his body protested, but at last he was able to stand on his own.

He looked at Aruviel and Virtu, who had disapproving looks on their faces. He explained. "We'll have to travel today, and I hope to find my horse." He smiled weakly.

And so they did travel. The going was slow, painfully slow. Eldarion could not move fast, because of the pain, and Aruviel was burdened with Duryn. They went past the place where Eldarion had fell, but no trace of the horse was to be seen.

Instead they traveled for hours, resting fairly often. One thing Eldarion was grateful for. He did have his sword. But he was worried about those warg tracks his patrol had spotted 2 days before. He refrained from telling the elves.
------------------------------------------
The warg tracks were a dud. They had ended with a dead warg on the end. The two knights had then promptly went back to rendezvous. Two hours had passed, and King Eldarion had not shown. One of the two knights who had split from Eldarion commented. "Something's happened. We should go back, and organize a search party! He may be in danger." The other agreed, and galloped back to the main patrol in a mad frenzy.

30 hours later, and the patrol had not found Eldarion. They had found wargs, true to signs, and had promptly disposed of most of them. Unfortunatly some got away, no doubt to rally their comrades farther north. King Elfwine, though, made first priority to find the missing King of Gondor.

They searched and searched in vain. They did manage to find his horse, but it proved to have no further clues as to his whereabouts. It had been nearly two days since the disappearance. "You two, scout to the east. You two, the north. The south for you, and the west for you." King Elfwine ordered. He had scouts scout ahead in every direction every 2 hours. He did this in hopes of finding Eldarion and to keep from gettin a surprise attack.

The scouts for the west, who were both Gondorian, rode out for a good thirty minutes. They stopped, to survey the land. The one named Belar shielded his eyes and glanced a bit to the south. "Nothing in this cursed snow-laden land. Not one sign. What will happen if we cannot find him?"

"Aye, I do not wish to think. I hope that he hasn't met some ill fate." Hardred replied.

"Indeed, he is too good a ---- Hardred, I think I see 3 or so people in the distance, to the southwest. Do you see them also?"

"Aye! I cannot tell who they are. Or what. Let us ride to them."

"Alright, but carefully, keep your sword arm ready. There is evil abroad."

Hardred and Belar immediately spurred their horses into a gallop.
--------------------------------------------------
The group trudged along, seeing nothing but rolling plains mottled with snow for miles. It was a discouraging sight, especially when you hoped to see some sort of city at the rise of the next hill. He felt, rather than saw them at first. Then, his suspicions were confirmed when Aruviel exclaimed, "Two riders are approaching, and swiftly!"

"Quickly, hide if you can! We do not know who they are yet!" There wasn't anywhere to hide, unfortunatly, so they instead tried to blend in with the terrain. Whether or not that was really working he didn't know.

Eldarion peered at the oncoming horses, trying to glimpse who they were.

And then he saw it.

"Gondorians!" he shouted, then leapt up (painfully) to his feet and started waving his arms and shouting, "Here! Over here!"

The two riders checked their mounts, then, seemingly recognizing who was shouting, urged their horse to greater speed. It was not long before they reached the travelers.

Immdiantly the two riders dismounted and knelt before their King, then rose. "My Lord, are you alright? When you went missing we feared the worst!" Belar asked.

"Yes yes, I'm alright, except for some minor injuries. We need to get to Edoras as soon as possible, these women and the child need to get a proper meal in them and some new clothes, and anything else they might need. And yes, I might need a bandage or two." He added.

"Right away, my liege! I will notify King Elfwine and have some horses brought to you!" With that said, Belar galloped off in the direction of the company.

Hardred offered his horse to his King. But Eldarion refused. "I'll make it."

"But King Eldarion....!" Hardred exclaimed. Well, Eldarion thought.[/i] If there was any doubt to my identity it has been shot now. "No, there are others who need it more."

Hardred's eyes shone with admiration as he put the boy on top of the horse, by Eldarion's request. Eldarion offered a hand to Virtu. "Will you ride, milady?"
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2009 01:30
Marigold was surprised at how well Lena seemed to know Edoras. She followed her through the winding streets, gazing in every direction, her eyes wide. She had never been to Rohan before.

It seemed as if everywhere she looked, people were staring at the two of them. She stole worried glances up at Lena, who didn’t appear to care much about the strange attention they were getting. Soon they arrived at the King’s home.

Marigold watched the exchange between Lena and a woman in the room they had entered. She stared up at Lena in surprise. “Leave?” she repeated, following Lena out. “Leave to go where?” They had just arrived, she thought. “I thought we had to find…” she stopped suddenly, remembering what Lena had told her in Minas Tirith. “Sorry,” she whispered, looking around for anyone who might have heard her. “I thought we had to find King Eldarion.”
_________

Beorhtír heard what Marigold had said before she lowered her voice. Leave? he wondered. Not if he had anything to do with it. He ducked under the hood of his cloak and pretended to knock on the door of a nearby house, so he wouldn’t look suspicious. As soon as Lena and Marigold disappeared around a corner, he followed them.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 15, 2009 08:57
The elf’s eyes were cast downwards at the food she had to eat. Her stomach clenched slightly and she almost pushed it aside, but she didn’t. There was no telling when she would get food again. Thus, the young elf ate the food in a sleepy silence.

She cocked her head to one side. Her raven locks falling in front of her face. “Good morning, sir,” Virtu said. Her voice was a mere whisper. In the daylight, she was afraid. There was no covering of darkness to protect her or Aruviel – it would be easier to be spotted.

“This is better than what we were eating though,” she said to Aruviel, “At least it is not molded.” She smiled weakly at Eldarion, but it faded as quickly as it had come. The elf studied the man and could not help but wonder if they were all so unsteady on their feet, but she did not voice this thought. I will assume not, she thought, He was just hurt after all.

“This weather is not something we should stay out in. Although, your condition seems only slightly improved, we should move on. We’re too close to them I fear. It would not be safe to linger here much more,” the elf said quietly.

Virtu stood and went to the man’s side. She knelt beside him. “Please, do not let anyone find us. I do not want to go back,” she whispered. With those words, she stood again and went back to where she had been. Finishing her breakfast, she stood and followed the colorful group into the unknown.

“Let me take him,” she said to Aruviel. Virtu reached out and took the child in her arms. Softly, she hummed to the lad.

She kept her head bent the whole time, but from time to time, she would steal a glance at Eldarion. The last time she looked up, her head cocked as she heard a sound – faint and distant. She looked around to see what it could be and kept the child close.

Her eyes widen as she sees the riders. She crouched in the snow – holding the child close – and prayed that they were not fiends. Her body shook from the cold and from fear. “Oh, please,” she whispered.

When the riders approached, she stood. Her legs shook underneath her. Never had she been around so many humans before. Protectively, she held the little boy closer.

The two riders checked their mounts, then, seemingly recognizing who was shouting, urged their horse to greater speed. It was not long before they reached the travelers.

“King,” she whispered feeling inferior in front of him. Politely, she dipped into a slight bow. Her eyes were downcast. She felt sadness and discouraged, but could not explain why.

She stared at the man’s hand. “Are you sure? You should, sire,” she asked, “But, I suppose so. ‘Milady’? I am not royal.” Carefully, she got on the horse behind the child. Settling in, she looked at Eldarion and then turned her head to watch him as they rode off.

Soon, the group reached Edoras. She dismounted carefully and took the child in her arms. Unsure what to do, she stood there feeling quite nervous.

~*~*~*~
“He’s not here,” Lena hissed, “He’s out, searching for wargs or whatnot.” Lena fingered the staff in her hand as she tapped along. Though it had been years since she had been here, she knew this place all too well. She knew every little nook and cranny. As a small child, she had explored the areas and many times she got in trouble for doing so.

“Someone is fallowing us,” she whispered when she stopped suddenly, “We must separate and meet up later. Don’t worry, it’s not easy to get lost here.” With those words, she tromped away.

She wove through the crowds. She kept her head low as she tried to keep herself as inconspicuous as possible, but it wasn’t working too well. She heard horse hooves and the sounds of chatter. Lena followed them and stopped when she was near the horse. “Is King Eldarion among you?” she asked.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: July 24, 2009 05:55
It seemed that once he was back in his King role, things got really busy again. Eldarion sighed. Ever since those two Gondorians found them, he had been instantly treated different. And he had to admit, he missed being treated like a normal guy who was fighting for survival, just like everyone else.

So now Eldarion found himself sitting at a table with the King of Rohan, thinking of that elven woman named Virtu. Was his fate to be the same as his father's? He had to admit he had feelings for her....

He snapped back to attention when Elfwine spoke to him. "You feeling alright, Eldarion? Your head bothering you again?"

"I'm fine, Elfwine. So you were saying, the wargs have been taken out?" Truth was his head still hurt, but he ignored it.

"Yes, indeed, most of them. Unfortunatly, some got away. No doubt to bring back reinforcements. Our problems for now are over, but they will come back." Elfwine paused when a message was handed to him. "If you will excuse me, I have some other matters to attend. My home is your home. Feel free to go anywhere you like."

Eldarion nodded, then left soon after Elfwine. He wandered the halls, mind back on the elf. He needed to find them and ensure they were safe and sound. And comfortable.

He was walking throught the halls when someone asked for him. "Yes, I am King Eldarion. What did you need?"
-----------------------------------------

Aruviel looked around at the architecture of the Golden Hall. She had never seen anything like it. Come to think of it, this was really the first time she had been in a settlement of men, not counting the horrid time in the tower.

The people here had been more than kind. They had furnished her, Duryn, and Virtu with new clothes, baths, food, a room, and anything they could ask for. It made Aruviel glad to see Duryn get a bit more meat on his bones. They had all suffered under the oppression.

Now they all sat in the room, clean and refreshed. A fire heated the room nicely. "Feeling better Virtu?" Aruviel paused. Then, cautisouly, continued. "I have... something to tell you. Something that you ought to know."

Before she could continue, a knock sounded at the door.

[Edited on 7/25/2009 by Erucenindë]
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2009 05:46
Marigold watched Lena disappear into the crowd and then took a deep breath. She was alone. In an unfamiliar place. Wonderful, she thought. She looked around, trying to think where to go. Since the idea was to split up, she started walking in the direction opposite from where Lena had gone.

After a little while, it wasn’t so bad. She liked looking at the rows of houses and other buildings along the streets. The sky was big and blue above her.

She kept turning around and peering through windows and down side streets, trying to catch any clue to King Eldarion’s whereabouts. She was not very successful, despite eavesdropping on at least a dozen different conversations. She sighed and leaned against a wall, then looked around and realized the street she was on was quite deserted.

A hand slapped over her mouth, another, grabbing her arm. Marigold tried to scream, but the callused hand kept her mouth shut. She kicked at her captor but of course it made no difference. The man was much bigger and stronger than she was. Marigold began to hyperventilate. She was terrified.

The man held on tighter. She forced her way around so she was facing the man. She drew in a sharp breath. It was the man she and Lena had camped with the night before, Beorhtír. She stared at his cold, careworn face. For a second she almost felt sorry for him, but then she was overwhelmed with fear again as he bent over to look her in the eye. “Marigold. You’re coming with me.”
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 27, 2009 07:54
Lena crossed her arms across her chest. Her staff tucked securely under her arm. She then cocked her head to one side.

“Ah, good! I thought I would have to leave and find you. My name is Lena,” she explained, “While I was in Minas Tirith, Barahir, was put into prison under the commands of Glicyn. I believe has plotted to take over the city. So, I need your help. Your people need you, sire.”

A dark haired woman with pointy ears hurried toward them. She held the hem of her dress in one hand as she ran. “Brother, I am glad to see you alright! But, brother, she’s alive, Lady Eowyn’s daughter. Oh, you have met her. She must be taken to Elfwine,” she whispered.

“There are bigger matters at hand! Barahir is in need of aid and the kingdom is threatened,” she said, sighing, “We must hasten to help him. If you do not wish to go, than, send some men so I may help him.”

~*~*~*~

Virtu sat in the lush chair. She was dressed in a rich golden velvet that was beaded and trimmed in golden silk. Absently, she stroked the soft fabric and stared at her plate. The elf found she had no appetite. “Is this but a dream? I can’t help but think it must be,” she breathed out.

“I suppose,” she replied weakly, “I love him, but we cannot be together. He is noble and I am not.” A tear slipped down her face. She sat up straighter in her chair. “Is it of my past? If so, tell me, please. I must know,” she begged and then called to the person at the door, “Just a moment.”
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: July 27, 2009 04:46
Eldarion was immediantly interested and concerned. "Hold on, sister. Are you sure this is true? You saw it with your own eyes, Lena?"

How could Glicyn do that? In fact, Eldarion didn't think it was true. Glicyn was trusted; he had been serving for years.
---------------------------------------------

Aruviel sighed, and went to answer the door. It only turned out to be a chamber maid. After excusing the girl, she shut the door again, and leaned against it. This was not going to come any easier.

She stared at Virtu, tears flowing down that innocent girl's cheeks. She was mildly surprised to hear her talk about love and worthiness. Or rather, lack of.

Might as well get it over with. "But, my dear Virtu, you are worthy. You see... I was once the servant of a influential leader, and you his daughter. Yes, you are the daughter of Gorethal, the high noble of Mirkwood. We were kidnapped, long ago, you, as a mere babe. Your poor father and mother probably think us dead... You know the rest of the story, all that happened in the tower.

"Yes, you are of noble blood."

((sorry, that was a mite short....))
~Stella~
Send Message
on: August 12, 2009 04:33
“No, Sire, I did not see it nor could I have. At the time, I was wandering the city. However, my companion, who at this moment is waiting for me at the entrance, saw it happen. We separated for I fear that I am being followed,” she explained, “I believe other’s were captured as well and imprisoned along with Barahir, but I do not know.” She shook her head slightly.

“Why would I make this up? Why would she? I love him,” she admitted. She blinked and found herself reeling from that last statement. She had not admitted it to anyone (even herself) until then, but it was the truth. “Why would I return to my homelands with a story such as this?”

Eldarion stood, just staring at her face, but not looking at her. His mind was elsewhere, trying to put together the pieces.

Finally, he said, "I must attend to some things here, then we will leave, and with haste. I will gather what aide I can, milady, though with Rohan facing the troubles they have, I do not know how much help I can get." He paused, as if to think on something.

"Lena, you must gather what supplies you can get, that'll help us go faster. May the Valar protect us."

He inclined his head, then left her in pursuit of King Elfwine. The King of Rohan must know about this urgent matter as soon as possible.

Lena nodded her head. “I shall go find Marigold, a hobbit lass that is friends of Barahir, and gather what I may find,” she said. Without another word, she turns and heads to the kitchen and requests for a week’s worth of amenities be delivered to the gates in two hours time.

She then went to search for Marigold. Lena called out. But, no she got no response. Fear clutched her heart as she reached the meeting place and she discovered that the hobbit had not come.

Knowing not what to do, she headed back into the grand house. “Eldarion! Elfwine! Anyone!” she called as she went. Her voice gruff and urgent.

~*~*~*~

A sob escaped her lips. More tears spilled down her face. She leaned forward and looked at Aruviel. Hurt was in her yes. “Why did you not tell me this?” she asked. Her voice was sharp and high. “Who is the elf in my dreams? The blonde who spins me ‘round? He is from my past, and not a dream person, isn’t he?”

Aruviel blinked, tears in her own eyes at the remembrance of old times. "My dear Virtu, I could not tell you, for fear of your own life. There was too much danger; too much at stake. And yes, he is your father, dear one. If only you could meet him.... perhaps one day." She stroked Duryn's hair.

“How would my knowing put me in danger,” Virtu asked, “Do you know the grief I felt for not know? Oh, Aruviel, how could you?” She stood up. “Let me be.”

With those words, she hurried out of the room. Virtu walked without seeing. Tears clouded her vision. “Eldarion,” she sobbed, sitting down on a stone window sill and pressing her cheek against the wall.

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 14, 2009 05:48
Aruviel sagged against the wall, tears running even down her face. Virtu just didn't understand... she didn't know the sacrifices Aruviel had made over the years.

Duryn came up to her and tugged on her dress. "Mama?" he asked. Aruviel quickly wiped the tears from her face, and picked him up. "Shh, it's ok ion nin."

She looked at the door absently. Virtu might be mad at her right now, but hopefully later, when the news settled on her more, Aruviel could talk to her more.
-------------------------------------------

Eldarion walked briskly down a hall, looking for King Elfwine, who was nowhere to be seen. And when I need him most too! he thought.

The King of Gondor cut through a smaller hallway, a shortcut that he knew of. It was here that he almost passed the lady at the window. He saw it was Virtu Desole, and she was crying.

Eldarion immediately stopped, concern paining his heart. "Milady, whatever is the matter? Why are you crying?" He stood near her, worry etched on his face.
-----------------------------------------

King Elfwine, on the other hand, was responding to the fervent cries of a lady.

It was Lena, though he knew it not. "I am King Elfwine, my lady, what is wrong?" He could tell from the tone of her voice that something was definitely awry.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: August 15, 2009 04:26
The elf looked up when she heard someone speak to her in a gentle voice – that voice was quite familiar. Hearing it made her heart pound. Taking a shaky breath in and the exhaling it, Virtu Desole wiped the tears away. But more formed in her deep sapphire eyes. Embarrassed by her tears, a blush formed in her cheeks. “I am sorry for crying,” Virtu whispered.

She sat up straighter in her place on the ledge. And then the elf straightened her golden colored dress. “I have been lied too for many years,” she whispered, “I knew not who I was or who the man was in my dreams. She, Aruviel, never told me who he was even though she knew. Tonight, I found out, that I am the daughter of the king of Mirkwood. I am a Princess. And, I thought I was unworthy to be in your presence and that thought made me ill in the heart.” Virtu looked away. She rested her hand on her heart as she sat in silence. “Oh, sire, I am sorry for burdening you with this,” the elf apologized.

~*~*~*~*~

“My name is Lena, m’lord. You know the name I am sure,” she said. Lena spoke in a low tone. Her expression was that of seriousness. “I am glad that I have found you. Eldarion’s colleague Barahir has been captured while we were in Minas Tirith. Now, Barahir’s companion, Marigold the halfling has also been captured here in our homeland. I have had feelings that someone was following myself and she for some time. Why, I can only guess. Who it is, that is also of a guess of mine. “

WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2009 12:26
By the time Beorhtír had carried Marigold down a few empty streets, she began to relax a little. Not that she felt good about her situation, but she was all right for now. As for escape, she would cross that bridge when she came to it. Beorhtír walked quickly, glancing around often to make sure no one was following them. After about ten minutes Marigold tried to get out of his grasp, using all her strength. It caught him by surprise, but he kept a tight hold on her and after that he was more on his guard and she didn’t have a chance to try and escape again.

They reached a little hovel, one of many on a dingy and abandoned road. Most of the little houses did not look in use. Beorhtír pushed open the creaky door and set Marigold down roughly once they were inside. She lost her balance and landed on the grimy floor. She quickly wiped her hands on her dress and then kept them in her lap.

“Stay here,” Beorhtír commanded. “I will be back when I decide what to do with you.” He gave her a sharp look, and she stared at her hands. Then he left the house, locking the door behind him and muttering to himself as he went. Marigold looked around in the dim light. There were no windows, but the door didn’t look very sturdy. After waiting a few minutes, she was sure Beorhtír was gone. She stood up and then shoved as hard as she could against the door. It did not budge.

Fifteen minutes later, she was sore and very discouraged. The door was stronger than it looked. Reluctantly she began searching the house for a small, pointy object. This time she was successful, and although her dress ended up filthy she had a pin that she had found in a cobwebby corner. She had also found a small locked door which led to a storeroom of some sort. As far as she could see through the keyhole, it was about half-filled with food.

Leaving the storeroom door, she went to the front door that she and Beorhtír had entered through. She stared at it nervously. She had never picked a lock before in her life. She stuck the pin into the keyhole, trying to figure out how to move it to get the lock to open. It was difficult. Twice she thought she had it but it turned out she didn’t. She slumped to the floor very disheartened. She had exhausted her escape ideas and now she had nothing to do but sit and wait for Beorhtír to come back and do who knew what. She began to cry. She remembered how much she missed Barahir and that made her cry harder. She had never felt so lonely and hopeless.

She wasn’t sure how long it had been when she lifted her head, wiped her eyes and looked around. She wondered if she had fallen asleep, since it seemed darker in the little house. Then suddenly she caught a sound outside. Without stopping to think that it might be Beorhtír, she leapt up and began banging on the door. “Help! Let me out! Let me out!”

A second later, light streamed into the room as the door opened. Marigold blinked and stared up at the pretty young woman before her. The woman had ribbons braided into her long dark hair, and her eyes widened at the sight of Marigold. She was slightly pregnant, and held one hand over her belly protectively. “What are you doing here?” she gasped.

Marigold was very surprised that it had been so easy. She wondered why this woman had a key to the house, but decided to take advantage of it. “Beorhtír put me in here. Will you please let me out? Please? I have to find my friend…” she paused, staring pleadingly at the woman.

Beorhtír put you here?” the woman asked, shocked.
“Yes,” said Marigold.
“No, he couldn’t- he wouldn’t have,” the woman shook her head.
“Well, he did,” Marigold insisted.
“Come out,” said the woman. Marigold obeyed instantly. “Can you tell me the way to the gates?” she asked. The woman gave her directions, and after thanking the woman profusely she headed down the street as fast as she could. The woman watched after her, still shaking her head.

Marigold found the gates without too much difficulty. In the gathering dusk she searched the crowds of people for Lena. At last she caught sight of a familiar figure. “Lena!” she cried, running towards the girl. Lena was taking to someone who Marigold guessed was Elfwine. She was so relieved that she burst into tears. Now everything would be all right.

Beorhtír thought this must be the worst day of his life. He had had to tell his wife Eades all about the work he had been doing after she found that blasted hobbit girl in their old storehouse. He hadn’t even known Eades went down there anymore.

She was not pleased with him. “I trusted you! I never doubted you!” she shouted. “Get out of my house, don’t come back until you’re done with all these horrible things you’ve been doing!”
Beorhtír got out of her house, leaving all the pride he had ever had behind him. He knew she would let him back eventually, but she was very stubborn and it would take him a while to redeem himself. Curse Lena. Marigold. Glicyn. He was done with it all.

[Edited on 8/17/2009 by WestoftheMoon58]
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2009 04:05
((My apologies. Being on several other sites doesn't agree with me.))

The group slipped down the hallway as quietly as they could, padding down the flagstones as quietly as cats. Elphir, in the lead, held up a hand to stop his companions. "Wait..." he whispered, pointing ahead.

Darenis saw the shadow of a guard framed against the light of the torches placed in sconces all along the hallway and froze. There was a sound of voices... and one was suspiciously familiar.

"You're sure of this, then?" asked Glicyn, the barest irritation plain in his voice. "How is that possible?"

"I--I don't know," the guard stammered, but their cell was empty." The footsteps, voices, and torchlight drew closer to them. Elphir mouthed frantically to his companions, gesturing for them to run, but it was too late. Glicyn came around the corner and saw them.

"There they are!" he screeched. Elphir and Darenis dived for the guard, tackling him and sending him to the floor in a clatter of plate armor. As Elphir wrested the guard's sword from him, Darenis lunged for Glicyn. However, the advisor was too quick: he sidestepped and ran back up the hallway, shouting at the top of his voice. "Treachery! Escape! Murder!"

Elphir, gaining control over the sword at last, knocked the guard out with a blow of the hilt. "Well, the whole city will be raised after us now, unless we can convince them that Glicyn is a liar," he said.

"I should return to Rohan and warn the king," said Darenis grimly. "He'll need to return post-haste if he doesn't want to have his kingdom in a shambles."

"First, we need more weapons," said Elphir sensibly. "We won't be able to resist those loyal to Glicyn unless we're armed and ready. The armory is this way," he said, pointing down a side hallway.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 28, 2009 04:53
Eldarion didn't know what to say at first. Part of him was suspicious, though he couldn't find it in him to doubt she wasn't telling the truth. It was a surprise, too. Having spent some time with the two elven ladies, he could not bring himself to think that Aruviel lied to Virtu without purpose.

"Surely she did not keep this from you without good intention?" he asked. He briefly thought that maybe this was something he shouldn't be nosing into, but he couldn't help himself.
----------------------------------------

"What? Captured? You are right, we must tell King Eldarion right away if what you say is true."

King Elfwine was interrupted when a hobbit suddenly ran up, literally in tears of relief, it appeared. He didn't know who Marigold was, but he suspected this to be her.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: September 04, 2009 03:51
“I am sure she meant well. But, Eldarion, what harm would it have been to let me know? I would not have told him. I was left in a haze of confusion for all these years,” she sobbed. Virtu pressed her hands against her eyes as if to hold them back. But, still they fell through the spaces between her long fingers.

She wiped her eyes dry and then looked up at Eldarion. Standing, she continued to stare at him. “I am not angry with her anymore. I was, but now, not so much,” she said, “The worst of it all was I thought that...that I wouldn’t be able to love you because I was a commoner. I knew that a commoner could not love a royal. And, it broke my heart. It felt like nothing I had felt before. Oh, that was too bold to say. I am sorry.” Virtu bowed slightly and looked him in the eye.

~*~*~

“He knows,” Lena said, “I have told him. I was sent to gather goods.” Her demeanor had changed in the presence of King Elfwine. She was more subdued. A little bit of the wildness in her blank eyes was gone. It had been replaced by a wary look. She was unsure of how to act.

She heard her name being called. She cocked her head to one side and listened. “Marigold,” she cried. Her tone was full of surprise as well as sharpness. “How did you get out? Are you all right? You weren’t hurt, were you?”

Lena turned back to the King. “This is Marigold, the hobbit that, was…captured I believe. You were captured were you not,” she asked the hobbit. The Rohan woman felt a blush draw into her cheeks as she hoped that she had not just made a fool of herself.
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2009 12:28
“Oh, Lena, I am so happy to see you,” Marigold said, wiping away her tears. Her cheeks reddened a little since she didn’t usually cry in front of people.

After greeting King Elfwine, she answered Lena’s questions. “Yes,” she replied, “I was captured. By the man we met last night, Beorhtír. He locked me in an abandoned house, and then a lady found me and let me out. I wasn’t hurt. Thank the Valar.” She paused for a second, remembering why they were in Edoras. “Did you find King Eldarion? What did he say?”

She was very worried about Barahir. What if Glicyn had hurt him? Or worse, she thought, but forced the thought out of her head. Barahir could take care of himself. But what if he needed their help? They had to get Eldarion back to Minas Tirith as soon as possible.

When told that Lena had to gather supplies, she immediately offered to help with the task.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 12, 2009 06:06
"I am glad that you are safe, Marigold. I will send some of my men to find this Beorhtír at once."

A servant came at the King of Rohan's beckoning. "Find King Eldarion at once, and and tell him I am of need of him, urgently."
--------------------------------------------------
Eldarion looked at her, slightly shocked at the revelation, slightly pleased. Right then he was trying to decided what he really felt towards her... he knew he did like her, but did it go farther than that? He dared to think so.

"I don't think you should be angry with her, madam. She was only trying to do what she thought best. Forgive her, for she loved you greatly, and that is why she did what she did. And still sacrifices for you." His voice trailed off, wondering what to say next. I love you...

Why was he being hesitant? Because he did not know if it was real? He did not know what to do....

"Do not be sorry, milady." Suddenly a servant came trotting down the halls, in a hurry. "My Lord! King Elfwine calls for your presence immediately, it is of great importance!"

What was wrong? "I'll be there, one moment." The servant nodded, the hurriedly left. Eldarion turned back to Virtu.

He noticed how the light was shining on her brown hair, and how her eyes shone bright and beautiful. Woe to leave such a beautiful creature. "I must go, milady. May we meet again sometime soon." He smiled. Then he dared to give her a kiss on the cheek, lingering for a second, then taking his leave.

[Edited on 9/13/2009 by Erucenindë]
~Stella~
Send Message
on: September 30, 2009 05:08
“I am glad that you are safe,” Lena said, “No harm came to you, did it?” She cocked her head to one side and with her dim sight, she examined the hobbit. Other than seeing some dirt, she noted nothing out of the ordinary upon the hobbit.

Lena listened. She nodded a few times, but did not comment on the story. She felt there was no need. “We will be leaving soon to rescue Beorhtír,” she said. Her tone was level – even – as she spoke. “He will help. Of course he will.”

She walked the lanes, trying to figure out where everything was. It had been so long. People kept asking her if she wanted help and she was aware of them bowing to her as they asked. “No, no need to help us. We’re fine,” she says. Rounding the bend, she stops walking.

“Marigold,” Lena began as she took water flasks and began to fill them in a well. “I am, well, more than I have let on. My mother was the princess of Rohan. My father, a Lord.” She stopped speaking. She found she couldn’t say any more and felt she had said too much. “That is why they bow to me and ask if I need assistance. I am sure it is a surprise to see me here.” Lena smiled a thin smile. “Let us finish our task and head out,” she said, capping the last of the flasks.

~*~*~

“Sire, are you sure? You must forgive me for being so bold,” she said. Her cheeks redden in embracement. “I should not have…I should have held my tongue. I was out of place.” She bowed her head.

Slowly, Virtu nodded. “Yes,” the elf agreed, “I acted out of haste. I do forgive her. I am no longer angry with her. I shall go and apologize to her.”

She looked at the servant. Hearing the words, her stomach clenched. She wanted more time with him. “Go,” she said, “You are needed.” Virtu smiled at the King. “Do not let my petty complaints hinder your duties.”

She looked upon the king. She couldn’t help but smile as she studied his prominent jowl and how the moonlight cast a warm glow to his face. “May your travels be safe,” she whispered. Feeling the kiss, she gasped and sank down onto her seat. Lightly, she touched her cheek as she stood again. Slowly, she walked back to her room and knocked. “Aruviel?”
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 04:16
“No,” Marigold answered Lena. “No harm came to me.” Praise the Valar.
“Thank you,” she said to Elfwine.

Marigold was aware of how strangely everyone was treating Lena as they walked down the cobbled streets. People stared at the hobbit and the girl, bowing and offering their assistance at every corner. Marigold felt awkward and thought Lena looked a bit awkward, too. It reminded her of walking through Minas Tirith with Barahir sometimes, attention coming at them from every side. She gave the people a little smile as she hurried after her friend.

They reached a well. Marigold watched Lena lower the jars into it, filling them with water. When Lena spoke, Marigold’s mouth opened in an “o” of surprise. “A princess?” she gasped. “You’re royal?” Marigold wondered if she should bow. Maybe Lena wouldn’t like it if she did, but maybe it would be highly disrespectful if she didn’t. She compromised with a slight curtsey, but she wasn’t sure if Lena noticed.

Marigold took some of the water-filled flasks from Lena and, her thoughts racing, began walking with Lena back to Elfwine.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 09, 2009 05:45
Aruviel sat upon the bed, arms crossed, deep in thought. Her tears had long been gone. She stared blankly across to the other bed where Duryn lay, fast asleep.

Her heart was heavy as she thought about Virtu. Did she do right all these years? Did she make the right decisions?

She continued to stare at her son. How she loved him. One question had always plagued her: how could anyone love her know that her virginity had been stripped away? How could another man ever accept her? She was doomed to scrap for a living now, or to live off her parents house. Once more tears welled up in her eyes. And now, her dear Virtu, who she had ever loved as a daughter, had rejected her as well. I only wanted to do you well.

A knock sounded at the door, and then a feeble, "Aruviel?"

She started and turned. "Virtu?"
-----------------------------------------------------

Eldarion had met with Elfwine, and Elfwine told him the story.

"I can't believe it. How could Glicyn do this to me? My Country? I trusted him!" Eldarion nearly shouted, but managed to keep his tone down. "You are right, my friend, I must go straight to Gondor if I am to keep my kingship. I do not ask you to go with me."

The King of Rohan shook his head. "No, me and my men shall go with you. You came to our aid, so shall I go to yours. You will need support if we are to get rid of this Glicyn. Me and my men will be ready to ride by nightfall, about 6 hours from now. Is that soon enough, my friend?"

"Yes, soon enough."

The following hours were spent preparing and gathering. People ran here and there, messengers, riders.

Eldarion saddled his horse and tightened the girth. He patted him. "No running away from me this time you hear ol' boy?" The horse snorted in reply.

Elfwine walked up, leading his own horse. "You know friend, you have found a goldmine."

Eldarion looked at him quizzically, then noticed the boy that sat upon the saddle. He recognized him as Aruviel's boy. "How is that?"

Elfwine smiled. "Duryn here is one of the best helpers in Middle-Earth!" The two laughed. Then their tone turned serious. "Alright, Duryn," Elfwine said, "Time to go back to your mother." Aruviel appeared from amidst the many horses to take Duryn from Elfwine.

"May the Valar be with you." she said, and a smile was exchanged between the two.

The King of Gondor noted the exchange and smiled. "Ready to ride, my friend?"

"Us Rohirrim were born to ride."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email