Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
Post *A Child Shall Lead Them: Civil War in the Fourth Age* OOC
on: October 01, 2009 05:39
Five hundred years have passed since the War of the Ring. The wounds made by Sauron have long healed. Though much light and beauty has passed away with the leave taking of the Elves, much has been restored. The folk of Middle Earth are free to live without fear of the Shadow.

But that bliss has been shattered…

Six years have passed since King Elendur was slain in what is commonly believed to be a tragic hunting accident and was laid to rest in the Hall of the Dead alongside his forefathers. Just three days later, Queen Faelwen, stricken and unable to bear the loss of her lord and king, leapt from the ledge of the palace courtyard and fell to her death. By law, the rule of the Reunited Kingdom then fell to King Elendur's only child, his twelve-year-old daughter, Elestirnë.

But the girl's premature ascension to the throne was not without opposition. After being crowned Queen just twelve days after her parents’ deaths, Elestirnë ruled Gondor for one year before giving in to the pressure and appointing the aging Steward, Harandor, ruler in her stead. She then went to live with Adrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, her mother’s distant cousin, and Elestirnë’s lifelong friend.

Now on the eve of Elestirnë’s eighteenth birthday, when she is expected to return to the throne of Gondor, a power struggle has developed. While the Steward has been a tireless defendant of the young queen, the events of her short rule did much to tarnish her image as a capable ruler. Harandor is now growing old and must soon appoint his own successor. But law, the Stewardship should fall to the oldest of his two sons, Beregond. But his oldest son has long been one of Elestirnë’s most vocal critics. He is also a charismatic leader, with a large following. The Steward’s younger son, Aerandir, is his brother’s opposite, meek and introverted, with an unshakable loyalty to Aragorn’s heirs. Harandor knows that appointing his oldest son Steward will spell disaster for Elestirnë’s return to power, but appointing the younger son would create greater civil unrest.

The Steward is also the only one in Minas Tirith who knows about the dynastic marriage that had been arranged for Adrahil and Elestirnë by their parents almost two decades prior. While this arrangement seemed sound when it was first made, it is yet to be seen what impression it would give now. Will it reinforce a sense of favoritism held by a disillusioned people? Or will Elestirnë’s marriage to a proven and beloved leader dissolve fears that she is not a fit ruler? Either way, Adrahil must tell Elestirnë of the arrangement in the coming days.

But Elestirnë also has a confession to make. She knows the root of all the unrest. She knows that the roots of the power struggle are deeper and more dangerous than is commonly believed.
The King’s death was not an accident. Elestirnë did not leave Minas Tirith because of political pressure; she left because she feared for her life. Now that Gondor is on the brink of civil war, she must face the demons of her childhood and bring the truth to light.

_*_

I know that's long, but if I still have your interest, let me know. If enough writers want to join, I will begin this in TR.

[Edited on 9/10/2009 by Eärendils_Beloved]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: *A Child Shall Lead Them: Civil War in the Fourth Age* OOC
on: October 01, 2009 08:39
Count me in for Adrahil if this gets going.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 02:11
wow a very interesting and thought out RP!

If Aerandir is available, I am interested in playing him.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 02:16
This sounds pretty interesting. I'll play as Harandor if thats all right.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 07:51
This is a very well thought out and interesting plot. I'd be interested in joining, if that would be okay. I would make up a character of my own, which I would submit for your approval...Eärendils, I'll PM you my idea and first see if it sounds acceptable to you.
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 02:10
This sounds really interesting! I'd like to play. I'd be Failisse, Elestirnë’s maid/lady-in-waiting/other servant, if that's all right. I've made her a profile.
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 04:11
Ok, here’s the deal. I’m going to make this into an audition sort of thing, because, frankly, I’ve gotten some shoddy writers and lost a lot of threads by allowing people on a first come, first serve basis.

Secondly, I don’t have a problem with characters that I didn’t originally imagine, but important roles need to be filled first. You can write for more than one character; in fact, I would encourage it. While I pretty much had writers in mind for Elestirnë and Adrahil when I posted this, the other major characters are up for grabs. These are some of the characters that are needed:

Councilmen from any of the eight provinces of Gondor: (Anfalas, Belfalas, Lamedon, Lebennin, Ithilien, South Ithilien, Harandor, & Anórien) I would like to have at least three or four of these filled. With the exception of the men from Belfalas and Anfalas, who are loyal to Aragorn’s heir, these are the “bad guys”.
Aeradir: youngest son of the Steward and Captain of the Southern Army
Harandor: Steward of Gondor
Beregond: the Steward’s firstborn son. He is the Prince of Ithilien and the Captain of the Guard of the Citadel.

To “audition” for a character, simply write a post as you would in the story here, in the OOC forum, with the character’s name duly noted at the top. Specifics such as looks and whereabouts for the audition post are up to you.(Things will get much more specific during plot discussion, if you get the part.)
You can try out for any character listed above, even if someone else is “trying out” and you can write posts for as many characters as you wish (though, you probably will not be given the roles of more than two major characters) Characters not listed above are also welcome for auditions, but I will wait until the main roles are filled to approve those.

**If you are lurking, waiting for the RP thread to go up, go ahead and audition. I probably will not write the first post until I am sure I have enough writers to make it work. **

***If you have specific questions about auditions, PM me. (I'm swiftly running out of posts!) If the answers something everyone should know, I'll post it here in the OOC.***

I am going to allow auditions for the next week, and see what we have next weekend (Oct. 9-11)

Good luck!

[Edited on 3/10/2009 by Eärendils_Beloved]

[Edited on 3/10/2009 by Eärendils_Beloved]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 04:21
Question: Do we post our "auditioning" posts here or PM you with them?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 04:48
hmm... so you would rather us post in this new storyline rather than post up previous work?
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 04:59
I can look at your previous work, of course. But would you really want me to just read it and say, "Meh, I thought that was dumb, you can't join"?

I would really like to see how you would write for this plot line, because then I get a sense of whether or not your ideas of the characters really fit into the thread.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 05:12
Sounds reasonable. I have just one more question, forgive me. I'm slightly unsure of the timing.

You mentioned in your post it being the "eve of Elestirnë’s eighteenth birthday," and I was wondering whether or not that was litteral. Are we litterally started the day before her birthday, or do you just mean it is fast approaching.

Also, if it's that close, wouldn't Harandor just wait out that last couple months (or day if you WERE being litteral) so he could allow Elestirnë to be queen, unhindered? Not trying to be problematic, I was just trying to figure out how I would post, and the timing/logic was something I was missing.
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 05:25
I don't know if it will be literally the night before, but it would not be more than a week before, at any rate.

As to why Harandor just doesn't "wait it out" is that
a) it is more of a long-held assumption than a sure thing that Elestirnë will return after "coming of age". And this doesn't mean she would come back immediately after turning 18, only that she would not return before her eighteenth birthday.
b) the idea is that he is very old and feeble, and cannot risk waiting.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 05:30
ok good deal.

Ill post whenever you post up the thread.
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 05:35
Um, I'm probably not going to write the first post in TR until I know I have enough writers to make it work. So you need to go ahead and audition, so I can see. I'm not asking for a novel, just a decent sized scene so I can see how you handle the character.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 06:19
EB, you had an audition for Adrahil when Elestirnë was 12. Do you need me to update it or can you trust he's the same charming guy he was then? *grins*
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2009 09:43
I believe I'm going to try for Beregond, if no one objects. Give me a day or two to get a post together and I'll have it up as soon as possible.

Before I continue, is there anything specifically I need to know about the way you envision Beregond? Where he is currently at, what he looks like, etc? Or am I free to do as I please in those regards...

And I'm really sorry I keep asking questions.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 03, 2009 07:09
Aerandir

Darkness fell. A few men wandered amongst the camp, under the few torches that were lit. The camp harbored about 300 soldiers, all border patrol. There was really nothing to do, except wait.

A blonde haired man sat on a log, thinking. Aerandir was his name, and he was the captain of this group. It was well that there was nothing to do, for that meant Gondor was at peace with her neighbors. Yet Aerandir and others full-well knew that Gondor was far from rest. The unrest came from within. Too much uncertainty, political upheaval, and selfish plans were going on in the city of Minas Tirith tonight. And for once Aerandir was glad to be away from it all. However, he was headed back, along with his company, first thing in the morning in response to a letter he had recieved from his father, Harandor, the Steward of Gondor.

Yes, the Steward. Aerandir sighed and shifted. Once more, Gondor found herself without a King or Queen. And this time there was no prophecy or expected arrival. Not like when the Kings of old reigned. If anyone knew, it would be him. Aerandir had studied long over the history of his country, for that is what he loved. Dully he noted that he prefered to be among the dead than the living. For some reason, those that had come and gone were more interesting than those that still walked the green earth.

Aerandir had always been the shy one, the quiet one. The man of few words. He led the Southern Company only because he must, being Son of the Steward. His brother was the hero, the one that people followed. A spoken word, a quick beckoning and many would follow him. Aerandir loved his men no doubt, and he loved the chance to defend his country, he just preferred to read a good book. Aerandir would defend those history books too. From his studies he noticed how history seemed to repeat itself: and many a battle was won from his knowledge.

"My lord?"

Aerandir jerked out of his thoughts. "Yes, Beothír?"

"My lord, you had not eaten yet, so I thought I might bring you a little of the soup they cooked up."

"Thank you. Yes, just set it down right there."

Aerandir stared at the soup. Strangely he wasn't hungry. His thoughts wandered back to the days of old. Oh to live in the time of the glory and splendor of King Elessar! What a sight that would have been, to see Gondor restored! And to have seen Queen Arwen! It was said she was the most beautiful that walked the land. She was, after all, elven.

Aerandir had never seen an elf. Nor would he ever have that chance. The Elves had all sailed away by this time, never to be seen by another mortal again. It saddened him, a beauty lost. Children were growing up thinking elves were only something that existed in bedtime tales, not in reality. All man had of the elves were paintings, and even those seemed surreal.

Glumly he picked up the bowl of soup and started to eat it. Thinking about the loss of things long past always put him in a sour mood.

Beothír returned. "Captain, when shall we leave for Minas Tirith tomorrow?"

Aerandir looked up. "First light."
--------------------------------------

Ok there is my audition!

[Edited on 10/3/2009 by Erucenindë]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2009 12:13
Beregond

The towering white city of Minas Tirith was just stirring in the early morning hours when Beregond entered her gates on horseback. The flashy black mare beneath him pranced through the streets, glossy neck arched and eyes fiery. Master and beast were much alike. Although not unfriendly, Beregond had a noble pride that emmanated from him. It echoed in the stiff, straight lines of his back; it resonated in the firm creases about his lips and the graceful way he carried himself. What few men were about in that early hour bowed low as horse and rider danced past.

Beregond wove his way expertly through the many levels of Minas Tirith. He spoke to no one, and communicated with his horse only with the subtlest of leg commands. At last he reached the highest level of the great white city, just as the sun topped the eastern horizon. The mare danced through the courtyard, hooves ringing sharply on the white stone beneath her. The citadel guard stood about the white tree, already at attention.

Beregond pulled the fine mare to a halt, and swung easily off her back. One of the guards quickly approached, bowing humbly.

"Lord Beregond, may I take your steed?"

Beregond stared at the man a moment, catching a flicker of awe in the man's eyes.

He nodded, and allowed a warm smile to play on his face.

"Aye, and with much thanks, my good man. Tell me, is my father up and about yet?"

"Forgive me, sir, I am not aware whether the Steward wakes or sleeps," the guard replied regretfully, as if ashamed he had no answer for the Lord of Ithilien's question.

Beregond smiled once more and lay a strong hand on the man's shoulder.

"All is well. Take care to the mare, she is quite a fiesty one."

The horse snorted and tossed her head, stepping sideways away from the guard.

"Aye, sir, I will make certain she receives the best of care. Is there anything else you require, my lord?"

Beregond shook his head and handed the reins over to the guard. Patting the mare's neck fondly, the young Prince of Ithilien proceeded to enter the Citadel...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beregond strode through the hall and stopped short before a heavy wooden door. Within were the lodgings of the Steward of Gondor, Beregond's own father. On either side of the door, two Citadel Guards stood, staring straight forward. They knew well the Steward's son, and did nothing to keep him from knocking on the door.

There was a scrambling within and then Harandor's faint voice echoed from inside.

"Enter."

Beregond pushed the door open and entered the dimly lit chambers. One window looked out across the courtyard, with a clear view of the white tree of Gondor. Near this window his father sat, wrapped in a dark cloak as if he were chilled. A few dying embers glowed where once a fire had warmed the room.

"Father? Why is not your fire lit? This room is dreadfully cold," Beregond reprimanded.

Harandor turned slowly, his pale eyes sitting heavily upon his tall, bold son. He did not reply, however, and Beregond quickly ordered a servant in to light the fire.

Muttering under his breath, Beregond at last came to sit before the old man. The son looked for the first time in many days upon the face of his father, and was troubled. Harandor's face was pale and drawn, his manor being as one who bears a great burden.

Old. His father looked desperately old. Time was, thus, very short. This old man would decide the fate of Gondor before he passed from Middle-Earth, and Beregond had come to make certain he decided well.

"Father, you know you must soon announce your heir..." Beregond prompted.

The old man turned his eyes back to the window, staring blankly at the lonely white tree.

"You come to tell me things which I already know?" the old man's voice quavered.

Beregond frowned.

"No, I come to impress upon you the dire circumstances we are now facing. Gondor is in a sea of chaos. There is much uncertainty. In these times, our great Kingdom needs a leader. A bold man to stand and lead, without the slightest bit of doubt in his heart. You know this, so why do you delay?"

Harandor merely sighed, and would not reply.

Frustrated, Beregond stood and paced by the fire...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry the post is so long, I'm a rather wordy writer. Also, if you allow me to play Beregond, this would probably be my starting post (with whatever editing you require).

[Edited on 3/10/2009 by Adara_Cochava]
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2009 02:32
Harandor

Moonlight covered Minas Tirith. Voices echoed throughout the city occasionally, breaking the dreadful silence that accompanied the night. Guards patrolled the city tiredly and the peasants went to their homes to rest for tomorrow's day. At the topmost part of the city in the courtyard the White Tree wavered in the cold wind that sang across the land. It was a truly beautiful sight to see the great Tree outlined by the gentle moonlight. Across the courtyard in the citadel, the Steward of Gondor, Harandor, sat, contemplating about the recent events.

Age had not been kind to Harandor. Wrinkles were etched across his aging face and wisps of grey hair lay on his head. Every movement that the steward made was painful to him. Harandor's time on this earth was ending slowly and painfully for him. Frankly, Harandor was almost excited that his forlorn life was almost over.

The low flickering of the dying fire could be heard from across the room, but otherwise there was utter silence. Harandor sat alone at a desk in the great hall, writing on a piece of parchment to his sons who were out of the city. At this time, the throne of Gondor was empty. All that was left was an aging man with nothing but experience to support his back. The heir to the throne, Elestirnë, was gone temporarily, abiding in Dol Goldur with a relative.

She was not ready to take lead of Gondor, and because of that, Harandor found himself ruling in her stead. Even though the steward knew how to manage the city well, Harandor was getting old. He had only two sons, Aerandir and Beregond, but he did not believe that they would be able to manage the city as of yet. Once Elestirnë was back on the throne and established, he would succeed one of his sons, but now was not a good time.

This was one of the reasons that Harandor was writing to them. He needed them to return to Minas Tirith so they could discuss the matter in person. Harandor loved his children dearly, but he could not risk Elestirnë's throne like that.

Harandor sent for a courier to deliver the message. The doors opened to the hall and the scrawny messanger ran inside the room and bowed down on one knee before the steward. Harandor reached into his robe and produced two letters for the small courier.

"Send these letters to my sons," Harandor told them in a scratchy voice. "Be quick about it."

"Yes, my lord," replied the courier, leaving at once. The doors slammed behind him as he left. Harandor cringed at the loud noise and closed his eyes in annoyance. I should train the guards on how to properly close doors, he thought to himself. Back when I was young, it was common courtesy to close the door without slamming it shut and waking everyone in the city up as a result!

Harandor cleared his throat and retreated to his chambers to get some much needed rest to heal his old bones. Tomorrow would be a long day and he needed to be able to stay awake through it. Harandor lay down on his bed slowly, with much pain, and closed his eyes.

Alright, that is my audition. I hope it is satisfactory!

[Edited on 4/10/2009 by Passepartout]

[Edited on 5/10/2009 by Passepartout]
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 03, 2009 03:29
Councilman Cemotar

Cemotar lazily fingered the fringe on the edge of his seat as he awaited Harandor's address. He, along with many of the other Councilmen, only lingered here because they expected to be told the name of the elderly Steward's heir. Really, Cemotar reflected, it was quite odd that Harandor had waited this long to announce which of his sons would succeed him, especially as the choice was, in his mind, at least, obvious.

Cemotar sat up eagerly as a messenger entered the room. He fully expected the servant to announce the Steward's approach, and was quite dismayed when the messenger informed all the Councilmen that Harandor could not come tonight. Cemotar scowled, and saw several of his fellows doing the same. He turned to one.

"This procrastination has gone on quite long enough," he complained. "We have better things to do than wait upon the Steward's leisure. He really should get this over with and announce his heir!"

The other Councilman nodded sympathetically. "Indeed. Whatever can he be waiting for?"

Cemotar frowned. That was the question. What was driving the old man? Standing abruptly, he strode out of the dining hall. It was time to make some inquiries.

~~~~~~

Failisse

Failisse, seated near the stairwell, studiously mended a rip in one of Elestirnë’s gowns. She ducked her head as two of the other servants glanced her way, wary of talking too freely in front of Elestirnë’s maid. Deciding that Failisse wasn’t paying attention, the girls shrugged and turned away.

“What news of Beregond?” one of them asked eagerly.

The other giggled. “He said that he doubted Elestirnë could ever be a strong Queen! He said that she – ”

“Never mind her,” the girl said. “That much has been obvious for ages. What else?”

Failisse bit her lip firmly and clenched her hands in her lap as the girls, oblivious, walked away. She relaxed her grip on the dress, looking sadly at the ruined lace edging her fingers had dug into. It had taken all her willpower not to jump up and chase the gossips from the room. She let out a furious breath and, stilling her trembling hands, set the gown aside as she disappeared into the garden to compose herself.

[Edited on 4/10/2009 by Loslote]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2009 06:36
Cendinen

Cendinen lay still on his cot in the dark, drifting in and out of consciousness. Even in sleep, he was watchful, ears tuned in to the soft breathing of the Lady Elestirnë. She lay in her bed, across the room, for the moment sound asleep.

Only one silken curtain separated Cendinen's cot from the lady's chambers.

Suddenly the man stirred from his sleep, detecting some disturbance. He held his breath a moment. He was wide awake in a matter of seconds. Tilting his head slightly, he noted immediately the difference.

The Lady Elestirnë had awoken. Cendinen could hear the rustling of her sheets as she crept to the edge of her bed. Moving silently, Cendinen stepped lightly on the floor and peered out from behind the curtain.

The lady stood in the pale moonlight, facing her balcony. She looked as beautiful as Cendinen imagined the Lady Arwen had. Her hair fell softly about her shoulders; the moonlight illuminated her slender figure. Yet as beautiful and peaceful as the young woman looked, Cendinen sensed a discord in her. She was not at peace.

Elestirnë crept to the door that stood between her and the open air of the balcony, and slowly cracked it open. Her eyes flashed to Cendinen's corner of the room, but he was hidden in the shadows and she saw him not.

At last she stepped out onto the balcony, and Cendinen followed. His hand rested lightly on the sword hilt at his hip as he slipped through the open door and obtained a silent, watchful position in the shadows. The lady stood on the edge of the balcony, leaning on the railing under the stars. The cool night's breeze caressed her face, and tugged gently at the pale blue robe wrapped around her thin shoulders.

Cendinen listened sharply for even the softest sounds that might indicate the presence of another. His piercing black eyes darted to every corner of the balcony, as well as the walls themselves, in search of any source of danger. He found none, but remained wary nonetheless.

The guardian did not disturb the young heir to Gondor's throne. He did not wish her to know of his presence. Let the child think she had fooled him for awhile. Besides, she was unhappy, and Cendinen did not like to see her so.

He had been appointed her guardian for life by her father. The night she was born, Cendinen had stood outside the door. The following morning, he set up a cot in the nursery where she slept. From that day on, he had been a constant, subtle presence in her life. He had grown to love her as a daughter, and the day her father died, his heart broke for the child.

The night was wearing on, and Cendinen felt a great weariness fall upon him. His eyes felt gritty from lack of sleep, but he did not begrudge the fair lady this time she took. How could he?

Suddenly, without turning even the slightest, the young woman spoke, her voice a whisper in the darkness.

"I miss them, Cendinen...I miss them greatly."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
((This is a rough example of how Cendinen's posts would go. And I had to make up a few things about Elestirnë for the sake of the post. If you feel he would make a good part of the story, I can edit any part of him/their situation that you feel is necessary.))
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: October 04, 2009 04:32
((Ok - here's my audition post! Falamir is in the database from before...))

Falamir of Anfalas

In the middle of the night, in a room off a side-corridor of the Palace at Minas Tirith, a man paced back and forth. He was too anxious to sleep, though he knew it was dearly needed. - But, things were too unsettled for him to rest, and Falamir just could not.

The decision facing Harandor was a momentous and difficult one… and he did not envy the old man in making it. Falamir had offered his advice on it - after all, it was his task, as a Member of the High Council.

Brown hair had he… of a medium shade, cropped to just brush his collar, and his worried eyes were brown. A strong person, was Falamir, thoughtful, and his comments (when he made them) were carefully considered. He rued that little Elestirnë had not been able to rule effectively right after her father’s death - even then, he’d been here in the White City to support her. And, he always would!

*He* felt that a more grown-up Elestirnë would do well, and was constantly having to battle those who brought up her past. “People grow!” he’d argued. “They learn! Elestirnë has had six years to learn!”, and though quietly said, his opinion was yet firmly given. She was the rightful Queen of Gondor, and to Falamir, there was no question of her returning to rule her people, or that she’d do so efficiently.

Anfalas seemed far away now… he’d not seen White Sands for months. Not, and briefly, a smile curved Falamir’s lips, since he’d gone there to fetch his family. For most of his time, since rising to his position, his wife had remained in Glanlith. But, after nearly missing the birth of his son five years ago, when Arine learned she was expecting a second child, Falamir moved her, and Famor to Minas Tirith. Even now, his three month old daughter slept, and he suspected (when old enough), Maire would have her father wrapped securely around her chubby fist.

But… returning his thoughts to the Steward’s succession, Falamir sighed. It was (by birthright) Beregond’s to hold, but the man’s criticism of Elestirnë did not bode well for his stepping aside when she did return. Aeradir was a little better choice - he was not a natural leader by any description of such. - But, he did support the young Queen…

A small sound behind him startled Falamir, and turning, he saw a sleepy Famor padding out from his bedchamber. “Son?” he inquired, and went to pick him up. “Thirsty, papa,” the child replied. “Ah, well then,” the man replied, and poured his son a cup. After drinking it, Falamir returned Famor to his bed, tucked him in, and after a peek at his infant daughter, returned to his pacing.

The night passed with no solution to the Councilman from Anfalas… naught but a determination he would not sway from his beliefs. After breakfasting with his family, Falamir left his chambers to seek out the Steward. Coming around a corner, he found Harandor, Beregond , and Aeredir coming toward him. Not expecting a polite greeting from the Prince of Ithilien -the man of Anfalas had not shirked from making his thoughts plain - Falamir nonetheless gave the three a respectful bow… once again noting Harandor’s frailty - particularly next to the powerful, energetic figure his oldest son presenting. Sighing inwardly, “My lords,” he greeted them solemnly, and looking at the three keenly, wondered if the Steward had yet made the decision between his sons. ‘Twas best it be made soon, Falamir knew, the country of Gondor deserved to not be left in the dark. It’s people must know who they needed to deal with… and so it’s leaders could begin dealing with the result…
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 04, 2009 05:54
Wow, this seems like a very, very interesting thread. I would very much like to join, but what character would be needed as of now since many people have posted an "audition" piece? I'm game to play any character, good or bad. I just need some sort of guideline. Could Harondor have a daughter? Or, is there a minor leader that could be created? Anything else?
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2009 06:28
My goodness! I never expected so many posts, so quickly! (Sorry, Bereth. I'm not trying to make the mod's job miserable. )

Dinenlasse, you are free to try out for any part that was listed in the audition post. Just because someone has auditioned for it, doesn't mean they're going to get it. Some of the roles that have not been auditioned for:

-Councilmen from Lamedon, Lebennin, Ithilien, South Ithilien, Harandor, & Anórien. (i.e. the "bad guys")

-Additional characters not mentioned. (I would caution people against family members of the council, because they would not live in Minas Tirith or Dol Amroth, where most of the action will take place in the beginning. The exception to this is the representative of Anorien. This region is control directly by Minas Tirith, so he and his family would likely reside there.)

*I'm going to write for the representative of Belfalas.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2009 06:08
Are there any other female parts that could be taken that aren't as involved? I'm not making a commitment, but I am thinking about joining up. I do much better when I write female parts and I was wondering what other parts I could play, seeming as a lady's maid has already been taken. Just wondering. Thanks.
Alya
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2009 06:32
Lady_Alya, the part of a maid is not "taken", someone just decided to audition for one. You may do the same.

But as I said before, additional "supporting character" types may or may not be assigned depending on whether we can fill the major roles.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 05, 2009 02:53
Adrahil

Adrahil was only 22 when his father had died unexpectedly, leaving him suddenly the ruler of Dol Amroth. He had placed his father in the Hall of the Dead next to his mother, who had died years earlier, griveing deeply for the loss of both his parents while yet taking on the duties of his rule. Although he had been trained his entire life for the role, it had still been a trying time for him. His sister, Edrina, fell into a state of grief which he could not console, and spent all her days locked in her room. His distant relative, the King of Minas Tirith, had also died suddenly in a hunting accident, leaving his daughter Elestirnë the head of the Gondorian government...but the girl was only just 12 years of age. Not only had he the business of his own realm before him but he had had to extend his concerns to Gondor as well. There was a hidden reason for this additional burden.

When he was 18 years of age, his father had explained to him that at the birth of Elestirnë eight years earlier, a dynastic arrangement had been established. When the infant reached the age of 18 herself, she would be informed, as he was now being told, that an engagement between the two would be revealed and announced to the world. Adrahil had not been surprised, though he had commented to his father that it was fortunate that he had not already found a lady of his own choice. Both he and his father had chuckled together at the time .. and the matter was set aside for the future. It was also fortunate for Adrahil that he had developed a great fondness for the small girl as she grew. Throughout her childhood years, she had spent a month each summer with her relatives in Dol Amroth and most of time had been shared with Adrahil. So it went, year after year, the summer visits, the visits to give the two of them time to get to know each other without the pressure of any pre-arrangement.

He had found the young princess an enchanting child... willful and stubborn, but gentle of nature and brightly intelligent. He could well imagine the lovely woman she would someday become and he was willing to wait for that day and see what might blossom between the two of them. During their summers together, he had shared with her his love of books and knowledge and also his love of music. It was Adrahil who taught her how to play his lute, as she had been developing a lovely singing voice and both loved to sing in lovely harmony the old songs of the Eldar and amuse themselves with the chanteys of the sea folk.

However, when her father had passed on to the Hall of the Dead, she had not come for her summer visit as usual. How could she? She had been elevated abruptly at the young age of twelve to Queen of her realm and had enormous responsibilites of her own. Adrahil had traveled to Minas Tirith for her coronation, noting her pale face and the shadows beneath her eyes, and in a quiet moment together, had promised to be at her side when and if she ever called for him.

And call for him she did, reaching out for his aid a year later. In desperation, she had requested sanctuary in Dol Amroth. Having appointed a Steward, Harandor, to rule in her absence, she had arrived with her entourage a few weeks later, and had remained in Adrahil's court for the past five years. Throughout the passing years and in a safe distance from Minas Tirith, Adrahil had assisted the young Queen by keeping his emmisaries in the Minas Tirith court. They reported back to the pair about the latest dissentions and upheavals, along with the various attempts to overthrow Elestirnë. Sadly to Adrahil, even the faithful Steward's own son, Beregond, was among those most critical of her.

Were these problems not sufficient to disrupt her peace of mind, Adahil's spies had uncovered something very disturbing to him, something he did not wish to share with Elestirnë until he had more proof. There were underlying rumors that King Elendur's death was anything but an 'accident'. If this were true, would those objecting to the young Queen's reign be willing to create a similar 'accident' for her?

He sincerely looked forward to her upcoming birthday. She would finally be eighteen and the time was quickly approaching when he could share with her the marriage arrangement made by their parents at her birth. He hoped that she would welcome the revelation as not only had they become the closest of friends over the passing years, but he would be able to openly become her consort in ruling Minas Tirith. His own personal charm and the affection for him held by the people of Minas Tirith could quite possibly end the turmoil now existing. And then there was the more important factor, he thought as he gazed at her, tall and slender, standing in the sunlight on the balcony He realized that slowly, as the years had passed, he had fallen very much in love with this beautiful young woman.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 06, 2009 09:34
Harandor

Crack. The old man rose from his chair slowly, placing a hand on his lower back. Crack it went again. Oh for the days of youth, he mused, grasping the edge of the worn oak table to aid him in standing. Crack.

What a long, sleepless night it had been again. Harandor sighed, staring at the endless rolls of parchment thrust into relief by the guttering flame of a tallow candle. Surely the late King could have left his affairs in better order! he thought, not for the first time. First it was the ledgers, now it's the restructuring of laws! Next they will want me to lay down and die so they can undo my work! These bitter thoughts crossed his mind briefly then left. Of course it would have been left to Harandor to take the reins of power during the Queen's minority. He had been a close advisor and friend of the late King. But now it was getting to be too much! The Council was fighting amongst themselves over the most inane of issues when there were more important stakes at hand! Take the Queen for example!

Crack.

Harandor had taken over power from the young Queen Elestirnë. A slight, lovely girl she was; she had the beauty of her mother. But beauty meant nothing when political incapability led nearly to an outbreak of civil war! Thus far, Elestirnë proved to be a deficient ruler, much of it due to her age and inexperience. The kingdom needed a strong hand to run day-to-day matters. And this was where Harandor came in. Loving the Queen as he did, Harandor sought to rule fairly. As Steward, he maintained Gondor in the Queen's stead, but he was getting old. He could not walk without being hunched over a cane. His rheumy eyes could barely discern the words that floated on the parchment before his vision. His joints creaked, his back ached, his temper was getting short, he couldn't sleep at night.

Crack.

His time had come to retire from service and enjoy what few years he had left to walk upon the earth. For all his physical problems, however, Harandor's mind remained sharp and calculating. He knew his weaknesses and realized that he would need a successor to take his place as Steward of Gondor. Good news: he had two sons. Bad news: neither was fit to rule.

Beregond was the eldest of his sons. Quite popular among the masses, he disapproved of Elestirnë from the beginning. On the other hand was Aerandir. His youngest son was quiet and solitary, the moon to Beregond's sun. But this introversion concealed an undying and enduring loyalty to the heirs of Gondor. Aerandir would not give up the throne or Elestirnë without a fight.

Crack.

After walking a pace or so, Harandor returned to the desk and put his old grey head in his gnarled hands. He did not regret the Stewardship; he only regretted the choice he had to make between his two sons. While traditionally the Stewardship passed to the eldest son, but caution warned Harandor to consider other alternatives. He was not going to walk this earth forever. But who to choose?

Crack.

Another exasperated sigh escaped Harandor. For all his power, all he wanted right now was a hot bath and a sedative to alleviate his pain and discomfort.

[Edited on 10/7/2009 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2009 10:42
Alright, everyone, just two more days left for auditions! I'll announce roles on Friday, Oct. 9th.

There are still several roles for Gondorian council members that haven't been touched, if you're looking for another part to try out for. *winkwink*

Here is a brief bio for Amdir, the councilman from Belfalas. I should also have Elestirnë's bio up soon *fingers crossed* but I am currently experiencing um...technical difficulties.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 08, 2009 01:53
Ivoreth

On the balcony outside one of the rooms in Prince Adrahil’s residence in Dol Amroth, an old woman stood looking out toward the sea. It was a view she’d seen nearly every day since coming here five years ago, but one she never tired of looking at.

Inside, she could hear her charge moving around, and Ivoreth smiled fondly.

A beautiful girl was Elestirnë… a beautiful young woman she’d become.

Her whole life, Ivoreth had watched her… from the time the young princess had been born, through this very day. Almost eighteen Elestirnë was, now, on the eve of reclaiming her throne in Minas Tirith.

Ivoreth had tried hard to support her during that long, difficult year when Elestirnë had attempted to rule Gondor, but she was a nanny, not an advisor. It was hard enough to try and comfort the girl after the loss of her father… one the older woman knew her charge still felt deeply.

But, soon, Ivoreth knew that Elestirnë would again be back in the White City, to take up the reins of her country once again. It irked the old woman to know that there were many in the High Council (and without it), who refused to believe the girl had grown into a capable woman. If she could, Ivoreth would have challenged each and every one to a duel to defend her charge.

Unable to, however, Ivoreth relied on her tongue, and her love for Elestirnë to make herself heard… and the old woman had no problem at all speaking her mind.

From up above where she was, Ivoreth saw the Prince of Dol Amroth riding in from some outing or other. Chuckling, Ivoreth glanced inside. She had noticed how ‘carefully’ Adrahil acted toward Elestirnë… how ‘proper’. But, the Prince could not hide from the nanny’s sharp gaze the way his eyes followed the young Queen-to-be whenever he thought no one was watching.

A good match, Ivoreth thought, and she’d done all she could to encourage her young charge to think well of the Prince of Dol Amroth…

(should have another audition post up later...)
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2009 03:24
Elestirnë's bio is up in the database! Check it out here .
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 08, 2009 03:40
Without the closed doors of the High Council Chambers in the Palace at Minas Tirith, a group of men waited for the latest meeting to be over.

Several spent their time chatting of this and that... and some paced back and forth, glancing up now and then. Still others lounged in chairs set out for them in the small room allotted for them.

But one man did none of those things. His glowering brow discouraged conversation, and though he was hard put not to give in to his impatience, Mardok was not one for pacing.

He'd always been an impatient person... one who grew bored easily. Mardok had been a terror to his parents and to everyone around them in Pelargir... until he'd met his cousin from Ithilien. Of a like mind, Mardok knew he'd found himself a 'home'. - And... such it was, that when his cousin was sent to Minas Tirith to join the High Council, Mardok went, too...

When, sometime later, the doors finally opened, Mardok's eyes searched each of the Council Members as they exited... looking for any clue that might answer the burning question on his mind.

Falamir was first out, and his face was as composed as ever. It was no use, Mardok knew, even to question the Councilor from Anfalas... even if he was someone Mardok *wanted* to talk to.

Nor did he gain any hints from Amdir of Belfalas when he passed by, earning a disgusted snort from Mardok when he did.

At length, his cousin made his way out, and in a few swift steps, Mardok was at his side. Almost, he spoke, but a warning glance kept him silent. - At least, until they were well away from any prying ears.

"Well?" Mardok demanded to know. "Has the old man named his successor yet? How long will he keep us in suspense? The 'Prince', and the assistant's voice turned derisive, "is getting 'anxious'..." Plans, Mardok knew, were being formed, and the sooner they were put in place, the better...
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2009 06:16
Tenendor

Tenendor tired from the trip from Lebennin to Minas Tirith rested in his rooms. Thinking of the days to come. A staunch supporter to Beregond, he would not allow Elestirnë to take the throne so easily.

The lords of Lebennin would grow to greatness with the rule of Beregond. The proud princes of Dol Amroth had enjoyed their power far too long. They had always been the favorites of the king.

Tenendor would never admit to anyone, not even himself, that he was jealous of the pure Numenorean blood the princes of Dol Amroth possessed.The blood of Tenendor's non-Numenorean ancestors showed in his dark hair and skin. With Beregond in power Tenendor would have his rightful place as a prince.

"Prince Tenendor," Tenendor said trying out the title, "prince."

Suddenly Akenir, Tenendor's eldest son who he had brought to Minas Tirith to learn of his future job, walked into the room. "Father, I have been searching for you."

"Yes Akenir, what is wrong?" Tenendor asked.

"Beregond requests a meeting with all his supporters," Akenir answered impassively, "He expects you there."

"Of course, of course," Tenendor said waving his hand. "When and where is it?"

"It is tomorrow in his personal quarters," Akenir said.

"Fine, I will see him there. Now aren't you supposed to be with the city guard," Tenendor had sent his son to the city guard to learn what he could of the city. Akenir bowed and left. Leaving Tenendor to ponder the meaning of the meeting. What could Beregond possibly want? It had to be time to plan their strategy. It would not be easy to make Elestirnë "disappear" like her father, but it would be possible. Soon Beregond would sit on the throne, soon.

Thanks for bothering to read my audition. If I have time I wish to post an audition for Akenir, but if i don't I hope I can make him a character.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 09, 2009 05:24
Ilrem of Anorien

Anger flowed through his veins. Yet again the mediocre servant had messed up his orders and sent his reply to the summons not to Minas Tirith but to his mother! "Stupid ingrate," Ilrem muttered, pacing back and forth outside his dwelling amidst the long grass and woods of Anorien. Stopping abruptly, he glared moodily at the sky and wanted to shout.

He had received word from Beregond that he was mustering his support to make a grab for the Stewardship, if not more. And what was in it for him? A nice title and a large sum of money. But what Beregond failed to realize was that he had a title already. Did he not think Prince of Anorien was enough? And surely since Ilrem was direct descended from Lord Faramir and the Stewards in the time of Aragorn, he could not reach higher? Why should Beregond become Steward and Ilrem could not?

Decisions, decisions.

His wife Adelaide watched his agitation and shook her fair head. The lack of action had been irritating him lately. He was as anticipatory as a stallion, biting the bit, waiting to run. Ilrem lashed out more often now, though temperamentally he was generally easy-going.

Ilrem resumed his pacing and his plotting. Of course he did not want the brat to return from Dol Amroth. She had nearly destroyed the country six years before. The country did not need that again. He caught sight of his slight wife and went to her. Putting a hand under her chin, he gazed into her blue eyes. "I am to Minas Tirith on the morrow," he told her.

She bowed her head. "Be careful, my lord. 'Tis said trouble is brewing with the announcement of Harandor's successor. I beg you to be cautious."

Anger boiled again through him, but Ilrem kept a straight face. "Of course, love." Only Adelaide could calm him when he was in a fury. Her touch was a soothing balm to him. And their son...he was their pride and joy. Temperance would be necessary in dealing with the lords of Gondor. But at the same time, how dearly Ilrem loved power...

[Edited on 10/9/2009 by Dinenlasse]
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2009 11:40
Ok, everybody, casting is complete! Drum roll, please!

Cast

Elestirnë, Queen of Gondor- Eärendils_Beloved
Adrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, later King - BerethEdhellen
Duinhir of Ithilien - BerethEdhellen
Ivoreth, Elestirnë's childhood nurse- gwendeth
Beregond, the Steward’s first born, Prince of Ithilien- Adara_Cochava
Aerandir, Steward's 2nd born, Captain of the Southern Army- Erucenindë
Harandor, Steward of Gondor- Dinenlasse
Maldok, Duinhir's right hand man -gwendeth
Amdir of Belfalas - Eärendils_Beloved
Falamir of Anfalas - gwendeth
Ilrem of Anorien - Dinenlasse

The thread should be up in TR later tonight, but I will be traveling all day tomorrow, and only on sporadically until Tuesday. Please DO NOT make your first post until we (meaning, you the player, and me, the owner) have had a discussion about plot and direction.

This is a scripted thread, and in order for it to be all it an be, all players need to be "on the same page" and know where the story is headed. After your first post, always check your PMs and the OOC before posting, to make sure that your post is in line with plot updates. If in doubt, always ask first. There will be a lot of discussion and collaboration, and your ideas are always welcome in those settings.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email