Register

Author Topic:
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
Post RE: *A Child Shall Lead Them: Civil War in the Fourth Age* OOC
on: October 09, 2009 04:47
Thank you for the role, Eärendil.

Do I need to make a character profile for Aerandir? Is there anything about him that I need to know?
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2009 06:01
Excellent. Also, will there be a posting order?
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 09, 2009 07:11
I thought I'd better put up a bit of Duinhir for y'all. His bio is in the DB.

##################################

Duinhir strolled along the corridors of his elegant house on the fifth level of Minas Tirith. It was by far the largest and most beautiful of all the city lodgings of the ambassadors attending the meetings to decide the fate of the throne of Gondor. Harandor, The Steward appointed by young Elestirnë when she decamped to Dol Amroth five years ago, was aging. In all probability, he did not have long to live and had important decisions to make regarding the rule of the realm before he could no longer do so.

Everyone of the ambassadors were aware that Harandor's desire was to name one of his sons to hold the Stewardship so he could retire.. at least until the young queen decided to return, if ever she did. His choices were wildly different. Beregond was tall, broad and masculine, a natural and charismatic leader of men. He was the one most likely to be found with his soldiers, sharing an ale and a deck of cards. Then there was Aerandir, the Steward's younger son. A tall man, yes, but entirely different from his brother. He was more inclined to be found in the Citadel's expansive libraries or reading a book on a wall under a tree somewhere. Duinhir had even run across him in the gardens playing a lute, at which the Ithilien ambassador smirked before the young man had lifted his head, smiled, and called out a greeting. Duinhir had smoothed the features of his face and smiled in return while waving a greeting ihimself before walking on.

On the surface, Duinhir seemed to be Beregond's strongest supporter. The young man had spent many years back and forth between Minas Tirith and Ithilien, stopping to stay with Duinhir at his manor house each time. Duinhir stroked Beregond's ego more with every visit, helping the young soldier see how right he was for the role of Steward. The older man chuckled at how easy it was to manipulate and sway the young man.

But today, as he left his lodgings to climb to the Citadel, he was accompanied by his cousin, a young man from So. Ithilien who had become almost indispensible to his plans. Mardok had fewer considerations concerning right and wrong than even he himself had. He was, indeed, a useful ally. And Duinhir had a use for Mardok this day. It would be his job to listen to the aides and assistants to the other ambassadors and determine their leanings and report his findings to Duinhir.

When they reached the Garden of the White Tree, which was still flowering and still revered by the people of Gondor, Duinhir waved his cousin away and then joined two or three of the other ambassadors, his silk robes gently swishing at his feet. Falamir of Anfalas turned to speak to him and Duinhir bent at his waist, leaning towards the ambassador as though completely engrossed in the man's words, though he was also listening to Ilrem of Anorien with his other ear. Ilrem's conversation with his own companion was far more interesting to Duinhir than those of the reasonable and intelligent man from Anfalas. Ilrem seemed to questioning why Beregond, a young inexperienced man, should be named as Steward. Why not one of the experienced ambassadors who were far more knowledgeable about governing than the 'boy-soldier'? Duinhir had to struggle to keep the smug smile from forming on his face as he continued to appear to be listening intently to Falamir. It was hard to do as he had the same thoughts as Ilrem, only he had someone in mind already....himself.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2009 04:59
Wow, E.B. and Bereth, that first post was beautiful. I think I love a good love story far too much--but I really like the unconventional age gap...very much different from the stereotypes of love.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 10, 2009 05:32
ok, here is a character sheet for Aerendir.

I put him as being very book smart, but not good with diplomatic skills. Something that would give him an advantage to being Steward, but contrasting to Beregond, who has won the people's hearts.

If we decide we don't like that I can change it, but I thought he would need something to make him even considerable for the Stewardship.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: October 15, 2009 06:28
Hey, EB - what's our status on this? I've been eagerly waiting to know when we can get this going.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2009 08:34
Ok, everyone, sorry this took so long. I’ve been out of town, and, unfortunately, school comes first!

-Aerandir and Beregond have received a summons from their father and returned to Minas Tirith. Everyone expects that the Steward will announce his successor within a week.

-The rumor that the King was murdered is little more than a whisper at the moment, and is not seriously being considered yet. Neither of the Steward’s sons thinks that it was anything but a tragic accident.

-Beregond was NOT involved in the murder. And he would never have supported it. He is an open opponent of Elestirnë because he is proud, and he is being manipulated into believing that she is a danger and a liability to his beloved kingdom.

-Currently, the members of High Council have been meeting for the purpose of preparing for the queen’s return, but instead they have split amongst themselves, arguing whether she should be allowed to return now, and who they would support as Steward.

-Elestirnë, Adrahil, and their entourage will be arriving in a few days. Elestirnë will be returning to the throne. She will also announce her engagement to Adrahil and begin making preparations for the wedding. The council expects that she will return eventually, but they do not expect her to come so soon.

So, you are free to post now. It is Midsummer’s Day. If your character is a councilor, they need to be in Minas Tirith. If your character is in Dol Amroth, you are either partying it up, or making preparations for the trip to Minas Tirith, or both.

Remember to be mindful of cues from other writers, not to write for others, and to leave openings for those that some after you. Collaboration is a great thing! Joint posts are more than welcome. Have fun!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 15, 2009 10:39
Will there be a posting order or turns for those who can't post as often?
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2009 10:45
I haven't established a post order yet. I'd thought I'd let things flow naturally and see if it works. if it becomes a problem, we'll take turns.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 15, 2009 12:53
Terrific summary, EB! And great posts by you and Bereth!

I'll start working on my post when I get home from work today.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2009 03:30
Can I edit my audition post and use that for my first post?
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 21, 2009 03:19
Sorry about my absence from here so far...was on break from school, and I didn't have internet access...I will get a post up by tomorrow.

Also, from my experience in RP-ing, I find it a lot easier to establish a posting order right away so as not to get muddled. In the past, some plotlines would be run away with while the rest of the posters were still waiting on one person. The drawback is on waiting for someone to post, but if he or she lets everyone know ahead of time (depending on how long their absence is), then their turn can be skipped for a round (if everyone is still active). I find it a lot more advantageous to do it this way, but maybe that is just me.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 21, 2009 05:44
Dinenlasse,

I agree that it will probably be helpful to have a posting order but (and I don't how EB feels about this), I also think all the cast members need to have been introduced first. Looking at the cast below, you are the only one who hasn't introduced either of your chars into the thread yet, nor (without that intro) is there any opening provided by you to interact with them. Maybe if you could provide a post intro'ing your chars with openings for some other char to respond to would help EB decide what the posting order should be. Just my thoughts on the subject..........................

posted on 10/9/2009 at 09:40 PM
Ok, everybody, casting is complete! Drum roll, please!

Cast

Elestirnë, Queen of Gondor- Eärendils_Beloved
Adrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, later King - BerethEdhellen
Duinhir of Ithilien - BerethEdhellen
Ivoreth, Elestirnë's childhood nurse- gwendeth
Beregond, the Steward’s first born, Prince of Ithilien- Adara_Cochava
Aerandir, Steward's 2nd born, Captain of the Southern Army- Erucenindë
Harandor, Steward of Gondor- Dinenlasse
Maldok, Duinhir's right hand man -gwendeth
Amdir of Belfalas - Eärendils_Beloved
Falamir of Anfalas - gwendeth
Ilrem of Anorien - Dinenlasse
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2009 05:11
It seems like when involved in an RPG with fewer members, no posting order is neccessary. However, with this many people, I would think we would need one. People are likely to get lost if we don't.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 22, 2009 05:22
I also agree with Adara and Dinenlesse that there should be a posting order, but I also agree that it is up to the creator of the thread.
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2009 08:20
For now, I am not going to assign a posting order. I think it is best to allow Dinenlasse to post and give everyone a chance to respond to the people who left openings for them. Then we can see if it's really necessary.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 22, 2009 05:00
Alright, my post is up! I have left some open-ends for Aerandir and possibly Duinhir (if Ilrem and Duinhir were still both aiming for the Stewardship...). I will edit as needed. Just let me know.

Also, does Harandor know of the betrothal?
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 28, 2009 08:27
I have left openings for Ele, Ivoreth, Ilrem, Beregond, Maldok (10/25)

Eruceninde has an opening for Harandor (10/24)

So when are these chars going to respond? I'm not sure what everyone is waiting for but I'd sure like to see this thread take off and run.

And Dinen, yes Harandor is the only other person in Minas Tirith who knows about the alliance formed at Ele's birth so he would hardly be surprised were it to come to pass on schedule. Strikes me that while Ele and Adrahil are celebrating Midsummer's day and packing in readiness to leave for MT, one of them should be sending a messenger on horseback to Harandor advising him of the engagement and their impending return.

This awareness on Harandor's part of the pact of course begs the question, why is he worrying about appointing a steward if the queen is going to wed and the married couple is going to return to MT to rule? Hmmm sorry..that thought just crossed my mind. LOL
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 28, 2009 09:10
My only thought would be because right now Harandor does not know about the future Queen's return.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 28, 2009 10:27
Hi,

Well, considering what EB said in her post about the last council meeting originally being held to discuss Elestirnë's return and for the planning of it, that wouldn't work, Erucindë.

It does beg that question, ber, you're right...
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 28, 2009 03:14
My thinking:

Harandor played up the charade of choosing a Steward until Ele returns (with Adrahil in tow). While all the factions are squabbling with each other, Harandor is smoothing the way for Ele and Adrahil. This way, the councilors are taken off guard and are forced to pay attention to her (even though a good deal of them will be frustrated). And now that Adrahil is there as king, then they can't plot against their sovereigns (so the thinking goes). But, plots will still continue...

When Adrahil and Ele come to MT though, what about Dol Amroth? Could there be trouble there that causes Adrahil to return to his country and Ele to once more rely on Harandor (or the new Steward) because she doesn't feel that confident yet without Adrahil at her side???...

As for Harandor, the choosing of a new Steward still makes sense. He is not getting any younger, and I thought a Steward was always in place. Does Harandor have any other title other than Steward that would merit his resignation of said title?

Just a few thoughts. Once these are sorted out, I will be more than happy to put in another post...
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2009 05:02
To answer everybody's questions:

-Harador does expect (as he has for a while) that Ele will return after coming of age. As of Mid-Summer's Day, he does not know that she will be there in a week's time. However, he is still planning and hoping.

-A messenger will indeed come in advance of Ele and Adrahil, at least by a couple of days. This would give Harandor a reason to drag his feet just a little longer until they arrive, as Dinenlasse suggests.

-As to the marriage agreement, Harandor knows about it. But since all deciding parties are dead (Ele and Adra's parents) he doesn't know for sure whether Adrahil will hold Ele to it, or has brought it up yet. But he still needs to appoint a successor, regardless. The office of Steward is still needed.

-And, Dinenlasse I hadn't thought about pulling Adrahil away, but that sounds intriguing. I shall bounce that idea around a bit.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2009 04:01
That's definitely a good idea about pulling Adrahil back to Dol Amroth. Sounds like there's a lot we could do with that.

Also, if Harandor waits too long, wouldn't it not be his decision anymore? Think about it, if he waits long enough to hand over the rule to Ele, than it would be her choice who the Steward would be--would it not? That's what Aragorn did anyway. Of course, she could elect to still have Harandor choose his heir...
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2009 06:30
Just a heads up to Erucenindë, Adara, and Dinenlasse:

Based on what has been posted so far, Aerandir is standing outside the Steward's door, and Beregond is quickly headed that way, so it looks like the two sons are going to be meeting Harandor at the same time.

Take note of this. It means you guys will need to work out this post together, if not a joint post, at least to be on the same page and mesh well.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 29, 2009 07:03
Oooo I see a really tense moment ahead. *grins*

As to Adrahil leaving Ele alone in MT while they are still trying to sort out the murder of her father, don't count on it. He (they) doesn't know who to trust and until they have made some headway in narrowing down the assassin, he will not leave her side. If he goes to Dol Amroth in the very near future, she will go with him.

However...............................later.............................when he knows who to trust to leave her with.................hmmm a short trip, perhaps, during which murder and mayhem could occur. *giggling*
############################

Adara, you wrote for Beregond, saying, "And you are like a nephew to me, my lord" Did you not mean 'uncle' rather than 'nephew'?

[Edited on 30/10/2009 by BerethEdhellen]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2009 07:36
Ooooh fun moment for the brothers, Although when I went back to edit my post, I noticed that Aerindir is actually already in his father's chambers, so Beregond would probably walk in on them. But if you still want to do a joint post, that's fine. Either way.

Oh my goodness, yes, I meant 'uncle.' Hahaha, that or Beregond's had a little too much to drink. I'll go fix that.

[Edited on 30/10/2009 by Adara_Cochava]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 01, 2009 04:46
Agreed. So, should I begin the jp and send it around? (I will have it done by tonight).
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2009 05:40
Sounds good to me. I probably won't be able to do anything until Tomorrow though.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 02, 2009 07:15
Alright, life has kind of hit me hard right now, and I apologize for not getting a jp ready yet, but I will send one on tomorrow now that life has cleared up a bit. Sorry for the inconvenience...
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 03, 2009 04:45
Also, if Harandor waits too long, wouldn't it not be his decision anymore? Think about it, if he waits long enough to hand over the rule to Ele, than it would be her choice who the Steward would be--would it not? That's what Aragorn did anyway. Of course, she could elect to still have Harandor choose his heir...

Remember, he doesn't know for sure when Ele is coming back. Rather prepare for the worst at this point. Once she returns to the throne, she can always dismiss the successor as necessary...

[Edited on 11/4/2009 by Dinenlasse]
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2009 11:23
Ok, folks, what's the hold up???
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 06, 2009 01:44
Hi, are we waiting on a JP? I'd be happy to work on a post while we're waiting.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 06, 2009 06:38
well i know that Dinenlesse and me and adara are doing a joint post... ive sent in my little part already though dont know how it's going with the other two.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 06, 2009 04:58
It's in the works right now. I just sent off the next part to Adara.

Also, should I write up a post for Ilrem now?

[Edited on 11/7/2009 by Dinenlasse]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2009 05:12
I have received the JP and sent it back to Dinenlasse...are we adding anymore to it, or posting as is?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email