Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
Post Galadriel's Heirloom (TT thread)
on: January 13, 2010 02:35
((Yeah, DD was the naming genius last time))

1) This is a rerun of A Precious Gift, and will be following the same plot, which is detailed below. We will be sticking to this plot, as this is a scripted thread; if you want to do anything that may seriously affect the plot, it has to be OKed in this OOC thread first.

2) This is a Totally Tolkien thread, so all characters and all plot events have to be within Middle-Earth - the mods have guidelines on the subject, and we'll be staying within those.

3) Posts should be of reasonable length - at least a paragraph per post, please!

4) Please PM me with your character before posting here, so I can approve him/her. We are keeping the number of players (and, by extension, characters) small, and if I turn you down I will explain my reasoning - be assured that it's nothing personal.

5) Please be aware that this will in all likelihood be a slow-moving thread, as we all live busy lives. If you can't post for more than a few days, though, please leave a note in this OOC thread so that we know where you are! If you join and then don't post for some time without explanation, we may ask you to bow out for everyone else's sake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plot description (by dreamdancer):

This story is set in The Fourth Age and based around a band of elves from Lothlorien. (Which means that, to begin with, all characters should be elves). Our back story is this:

Before Galadriel left Middle-Earth she foresaw the birth of her great-grandson (Aragorn and Arwen’s son). Since she would not be there herself, she had a bow made from mallorn wood and set a gem into it, and bestowed an elven blessing upon it, that it would always fire true. It’s a powerful weapon, and it has been safely guarded in Lothlorien for many years. Now that her grandson is old enough to wield it, it is being takento Minas Tirith by an honored group of elves chosen for the task. Our story will open in Lothlorien, perhaps with our travelers preparing to leave. They will set out by boat.

According to writings by JRRT there was a new evil rising when Eldarion became king, so it’s safe to assume that some wicked servants of Sauron are still around, and looking for ways to bring him back to power.

Along the way our elves will somehow manage to wreck their boat, and have to begin traveling on foot. The precious bow will be stolen by an evil man, and it will be up to our elves to track him down and save the weapon from being taken into hands that could put it to evil use.

Our wicked men may be hiding out somewhere in Rohan, which will open up the possibility of human characters- but, that's much later in the story, and still under discussion. During the traveling we can have relationships forming, and plenty of chances for different kinds of adventures... but, we're going to avoid the random orc bands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be playing two characters: Galenfea and Gaeron, as well as at least one bad guy when they start showing up.
--- All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Galadriel's Heirloom (TT thread)
on: January 14, 2010 03:24
Hello, Galenfea.

As mentioned before, I would love to join the RP.

Here is the character, Banvain who featured in the last RP.

"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 16, 2010 09:16
Looking forward to when this gets going. Salabeth and Randiron are on board!
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2010 03:56
Yay! Welcome, you guys! We'll probably have someone else joining us with two characters, bringing our numbers up to seven, then I think we'll wait for a couple more days to see if anyone else wants in, and then get started!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2010 04:52
Hello there!

Looks like we'll be having quite a merry band of elves - only one female amidst us!

My beloved Holm-oak brothers Caimallen and Calmathil are ready to join and depart on this important mission.

*Nif
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2010 06:44
Two, I think, though Galenfea is a bit of a tomboy.

So that's seven! I think we'll give it the weekend, then close enrollment.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 22, 2010 11:18
:wave: Hey Nif! Long time no see! ^_^ Will be great to play against your two elves again! *remembers them fondly* :heart:

This will be fun!

[Edited on 22/1/2010 by gwendeth]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2010 11:37
Yes, I've been out of touch for some time, but I suddenly missed all of you and this so much! :hug: I'm happy to see and rp with you again, and especially if there's Randiron involved. I've always had a soft spot for him in my heart :heart:

Two ellith, you say? Lovely!
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2010 07:32
OK, I'm going to call enrollment closed, since I've not heard from anyone else!

How do we want to start this? Just do introductory posts of each of our characters, then have them meet up and arrange to set off?
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 26, 2010 03:37
That sounds good to me. ^^ in mine I can get Randiron to Lothlorien. Would there maybe have been a call sent out for volunteers for this quest that he could respond to?
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2010 05:51
Hmm... I think it would make a lot of sense for him to have accompanied Nifredil's two, if that's OK with you, Nif? It's presumably been a little while since the bow was made, though I'd have to check the dates, but it makes sense for me to say that Nif's two came to help with making the bow and then if it was a short period of time they stayed to wait until it was sent and if it was a long one then maybe they went back to Imladris to wait, and were then sent for when the time came. Either way, Randiron could have accompanied them.

OK, dates: Galadriel Sailed on September 29, 3021 TA. I think it fair to say that she left Lothlorien a month or so previously, but we'll just say that she left in 3021 TA.
Aragorn was reckoned as of age at 20, so we can probably assume the same for Eldarion. If Eldarion was 90 when he took the throne (normal for Numenorians in their prime), he was presumably born in approx 30 FA, so we'd be taking this adventure in 50 FA, which is a long time after the War of the Ring, by human standards, and there aren't going to be many elves about. Celeborn may or may not still be about, but he's probably in Imladris by this time.
(Dates from http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/chronicle.html?startyear=1&startage=4&endyear=&endage=4)

That means that it's at least 50 years since the bow was made, for Galadriel to have blessed it and set a stone in it herself. (It's also probably some years since Renegades, which means that I may have to run my characters a little differently than I intended...) I'm going to leave it up to you guys what you want to do, especially as that's a long time period.

/ramble
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2010 03:32
The somebody has to be the one who summons the bow and it's bearers to Lothlorien, who says: the time is right, the will of Lady Galadriel has to be fulfilled. That means, somebody in power. I think it might be logical if the bow were kept safe in Imladris, but please remind me if there is a certain elf lord who might be the current ruler. And for such a mission, only the most trusted elves would be carefully chosen. Gwen, maybe you have ideas regarding that? Mallen was the one who made the bow, maybe by Galadriel's request right in Imladris where he's staying? It wouldn't have been a difficult matter to journey to Lothlorien to get the right material, and then spend years in Imladris making the bow. Then to have Galadriel visit to cast the blessing on it and have the gem was installed. What do you say on this proposed course of action?
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 28, 2010 05:21
Randiron would be happy to accompany Nif's folk to bring the bow to Lothlorien with Caimallen & Calmathil.

I checked the COE Encyclopedia, and it says that Celeborn went to Imladris after Galadriel sailed. There is never any mention of when (or if) he later joined her, so I would think it safe to say that he could select elves he trusts to take the bow safely to Lothlorien.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2010 10:41
Ok..... Then I have another question. If Randiron, Caimallen, Calmathin AND Celeborn are in Imladris along with the bow, why go to Lothlorien? There must be a serious reason for it, otherwise it's more practical to go straight to Minas Tirith.

*confused*
In the Realm of Ulmo
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2010 06:00
Well, looking at the map, it looks like the best road would be the one the Fellowship took/was intending to take, over Caradhras and then down through Dimrill dale to Lothlorien. You could then pick up boats and more party members and then go down the river. While it would indeed make just as much sense to go through Rohan now that Saruman is no longer a problem, I can't see a reason not to go through Lothlorien, especially as thats the 'place of origin' of the bow, if you follow me. Could be symbolically important that the bow comes to Minas Tirith from Lothlorien, even if it starts off in Imladris.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 29, 2010 08:20
That makes sense to me. Plus maybe that could be part of Galadriel's wishes (coming from Lothlorien).
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2010 12:02
Yes, sounds good It would give us the opportunity to presenty the image of Galadriel's old home now without her....

Then we're actually starting the rp in Lothlorien? Or Imladris - and fast-forwarding to Lothlorien?

I'm sorry if I'll be asking a lot of questions, but I've been out of Tolkien's world for a while, and there are things I've forgotten. Like what exactly happened to Imladris and Lothlorien after their Lords Sailed. And Middle-Earth at that. Or could you suggest some reading to me? Gwen?
In the Realm of Ulmo
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2010 06:51
I think we should start it in Lothlorien, though the people coming from Imladris can start there/do flashbacks if it works better.

I think we're about ready to go - just waiting for Erumelmo to say they're ready, then I'll go start in TT
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2010 04:24
I've sent a PM to Erumelmo, but he's apparently not been online since his last post here - just to explain the delay!
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 13, 2010 04:20
I'm still here and waiting!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2010 10:07
It's all right, we're a patient lot here Don't worry, but thanks for telling.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2010 07:40
OK, It's been some time. Do those of you who're starting off in Imladris want to start there and I can hold the fort in Lothlorien for a while? Banvain comes from Lorien, so we'd still be kind of waiting while at the same time getting moving, if that makes any sense at all. Then we can vary the pace of storytelling between Imladris and Lothlorien depending on if Erumelmo shows up again, and you can pick us up there.

:S

Let me know and I'll go start off the thread if you want to go with that?

[Edited on 1/3/2010 by Galenfea]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 01, 2010 01:15
I'd say lets go for it and get the RP under way

I do hope Erumelmo is ok.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2010 11:39
Yes, let's get going :disco:
Gwen, do you want to start?
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 01, 2010 12:24
Gah lol! Well, I would think Gal needs to put up the first post, but I can certainly start for Randiron in Imladris.
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2010 05:05
Off we go!

Man, it's been a long time since I wrote these two...

Arthon is an OC, but I'm not planning to have him appear on screen at the moment. I figured that Celeborn must have left someone in charge and in the absence of anything canon and since I had to refer to him somehow, I just gave him a name.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 01, 2010 06:12
Great start, Gal!

I'll begin working on my post ASAP (tho lol 9pm at night when I was up at 4am this morning is not a good time ). I should have it up in the next day or so.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2010 08:22
hihihi - actually that's exactly what I meant, just didn't write it out: whether Gwen wanted to start in Imladris

Anyway - I loved your intro, Galen! And can't wait to get the whole party together
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 02, 2010 03:21
Okay, well I have my post started, was working on it before I started work this morning, but I stupidly forgot to email it to myself here at home :angry:

EDIT: Ok, my post is up! I hope it works! If I need to edit anything, please just let me know!

[Edited on 3/3/2010 by gwendeth]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 03, 2010 07:29
Great posts everyone I'm going to be reading this one...

Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2010 10:50
A great post, gwen! I loved reading it Mine is up as well, I hope this works to get us noticed before entering Lorien and meet a welconing party, if one is planned. It's open for suggestions and editing anytime
In the Realm of Ulmo
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2010 08:26
Hey! Sorry about the delay - computer trouble. I'll try to have my next post up in the next couple of days. Yours look great!
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2010 09:27
Up at last. It's not one of my longer ones, but I hope it's OK :S
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2010 11:52
Hello, all.
Hey, Galenfea. I am sorry that it took me so long to respond, but I didn't get back to CoE for about a month. Apparently, I missed quite a bit. Again, apologies.

If you wish, I could start up with a post. Banvain is the character that I am using, as I have mentioned before. He was born in SA 1360, and his family has been involved with the family of Elrond and consequently that of Galadriel since his birth.

I had it in my mind that I would have him be one of the creators of the bow, since he is a craftsman as well as a healer. His mother was one of Galadriel's ladies and his father was one of the craftsmen in the creation of the Three.

I did read the OOC thread and the RP and I was wondering how I would put Banvain in...If I am not too late to join in that is.

[Edited on 10/3/2010 by Erumelmo]
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2010 07:11
Erumelmo! It's good to see you Don't worry, I'm just glad to hear that you're OK.
Hmm... well, if you want Banvain to be involved with making the bow... the best I can think of, based on his father being involved in creating the Three, is that his involvement centred on the gem, which I pictured as a beryl, since Tolkien refers to a beryl as an elf-stone. It looks from Wikipedia like beryl comes in crystals, so maybe you'd have to cut it or polish it into a suitable gem, and Banvain could have been involved in that? Best thing I can think of, I'm afraid.

We'll be in Lothlorien for the next few posts, I expect, while we get organised with how to travel and everyone meets up and so forth, so I'd say you can post and introduce yourself when you're ready.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email