Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Ice Crystal ((KEEP))
on: July 17, 2010 08:57
(OOC Sorry but I haven't been able to login on my computer for over a week. It's fixed now so hopefully no more issues.)

The group had spread out to find a suitable camp site; it was Mithennor who called out first. She had found a good site on higher ground which gave them a good over view of the area and covered their back. With the areas dense fern growth and no fire they would be virtually invisible.

Sirion had volunteered for first watch after they had eaten a quick light meal of lembas and dried fruits. Lindir knew every elf was well trained for watch duty but there was a difference between the drills they all went through in Imladris and that of the real world outside.

"From what he's told me he hasn't been out of Imladris in years. That task master blacksmith hasn't allowed him a moments grace from under his sight. He's a friend but he's a whelp when it comes to this Lindir."

Lindir stared at Thane for a second. If this was concern on his part it was most uncommon.

"He has the senses and skills all of our kind are endowed with. Lord Elrond would not have allowed him to join us if he had any concerns. I have never questioned his Lordship and I won't start now.

"Have it your way then." Thane replied somewhat gruffly as he turned away

Lindir grabbed hold of Thane's arm. "Lord Elrond did mention his own concerns to me. I will rest easier knowing you're watching his back also." Both ellons smiled and gave a nod. Thane strolled off in the direction of the two elleth.

The spot Sirion chose to watch from was very well chosen. Lindir joined Sirion but the night was quiet. Sirion knew why Lindir was with him but said nothing. There had been a slight breeze blowing on and off all evening but at 2am it carried a pungent smell.

"We have company." Sirion whispered. Lindir nodded.

They did nothing hoping that whoever it was would pass by without noticing them. That unfortunately was not the way it was going to be though.

"I can smell them." A deep gravelly voice said as it stood and smelled the air. There were two others that agreed.

"Trolls." Lindir said as he stood looking down the slope. "Mountain trolls. We have to warn the others."

When they arrived at the camp the others were already up and stood with bows in hand. They waited listening to the clamour as the trolls struggled to get through the heavy under growth. If they were not discovered they would avoid a fight and let the trolls pass, but they would not run from a fight either. The sound of the trolls moving forward kept getting louder and then they were almost on top of them.

[Edited on 18/7/2010 by Fennuir]
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2010 06:43
Idhren rode near Lindir, who was silent most of the time, and kept to himself, but there was something more to him than met the eye and Idhren sensed it strongly.

Mithennor was at the end of the group, looking dreamily out into the openness.

They found a site with a good view and gave them suitable cover, and Idhren watched as Sirion strode over and volunteered first watch.

Lindir and Thane had a quiet conversation and something was resolved, then Lindir walked over to Sirion. But something in the air was not right, Idhren thought. Something foul.

"I smell... seomthing..." she said to herself as Mithennor watched her with curiosity.

"I can smell them." Said one of the company.

"Trolls." Lindir's soft, melodic voice rang in the darkness.

"Mountain trolls. We have to warn the others."

Idhren had set up hear Lindir and Sirion and lept up, prancing over to them.

"They are nearing, I can feel it in the ground. Lords, what must we do?"

Idhren was poised, her hand sliding on the hilt of her small dagger as she watched their faces for an answer or small word of assistance.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2010 08:03
As the trolls neared it began to become apparent that, despite the best efforts of the group, they had left signs enough to track. In a slow, fluid motion Sirion drew his blade, and the others did likewise.

"We are discovered, but not by eye. These beasts have an uncanny sense of smell." Lindir said softly. "We should wait for the opportune moment to strike. This will not be easy, but if we can strike before they realize what is upon them then we will have the advantage for the first crucial moments."

The group began to spread out in a crescent around the trolls, waiting for the right opportunity. The night was very dark, the moon and stars had been blanketed in a thick layer of clouds, practically blinding all but the fine tuned senses of the elves and other creatures of the night. The trolls, unfortunately, were one of the more malevolent creatures of the night. There appeared to be of them, each carrying their own makeshift weapons.

The presumed leader, who was doing all the talking, held what could only be described as an uprooted tree with most of the branches broken off. The weapon rested on the beasts shoulder with its main hand supporting it. Towards the end there were wooden spikes that had been pounded into the tree to inflict more damage, each one roughly the size and thickness of a forearm. The other two had similar weapons, though cruder and less devastating. The leader hunched over, then rolled the huge club off its shoulder and to the ground. Going down on his knuckles the troll leaned his piggish face in close to the ground and sniffed again.

"I smell meat." It said "Close, our dinner is close!" The voice rumbled through the ground, the elves feeling the slight vibrations beneath their feet.

"Now," Lindir whispered harshly to the group, and as one they silently charged. A few key strikes landed on the leader as he was still quite vulnerable when they attacked. Trolls are made of stern stuff though, and while each blade scored blood, most weren't mortal hits. The troll reacted violently and started shaking himself and waving his arms chaotically to clear the pests away. Knowing that even a single solid strike from a troll could knock one of the elves unconscious or even kill them outright, the group had to back off to wait for a new opening.

The blood rushed through Sirion’s veins. He had never seen combat with a troll before, but he had orcs. He supposed it was basically the same thing, but bigger and slower. The key was to dodge rather than parry. The troll had to hit each one of them once, but the huge and unwieldy weapons were slow and clumsy. Sirion remembered something a blade master once told him about superficial wounds. If you had enough of them, they eventually turned fatal. The ellon adjusted the grip on his sword and danced forward and stabbed at one of the smaller trolls. The honed blade felt resistance, and then slid in roughly. Before he could push it in any deeper, the troll howled and swung at him, making the elf skitter back.

The troll followed and buried his club into the earth, shaking the ground with the impact. Sirion advanced again, this time attacking the troll’s arms with two-handed slashes with his blade. The fine weapon cut in the first sweep then rang off the second. All around him, the other elves were using the same tactics. It wasn't going to be a quick battle, Sirion realized.
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2010 11:16
When the first strike failed, Thane back off into the underbrush. On his travels, the ellon had encountered such beasts only once. He'd had enough sense then to avoid the wretched thing. Killing one was not yet a notch on his belt. He couldn't fathom how incredibly thick their hides and skulls were! But still he circled, concentrating on one troll and managing to stay out of the path of the others. They were slow, which was a good sign, but they were strong. These often made for bad combinations to the person foolish enough to sit still. Sirion came in with powerful downward strokes, but the resulting wounds were not all that they should have been. Thane followed with a wild stab that brought his hand back in painful recoil. It was like trying to drive through a stone wall!

Thane frowned at his own useless attempts and backed off once more into the brush. Behind him, the ellon could hear their tethered mounts panicking at the onslaught and the sound brought inspiration. He retreated to his mount, hoping that the trolls would not give chase behind. One good stomp to the foot and kick to his shoulder later, Thane returned with a thick rope from his saddle packs.

He entered the clearing just as the larger troll started to lean over to make a wild grab at Sirion. Sirion, however, was the faster and danced away unscathed.Thane jumped in as quick as he could and brought his sword down on the behemoth's skull. This only managed to anger the beast even further. The troll stood and took up his great club. Thane kept his ground.

The ellon side stepped just at the troll embedded his weapon into the dirt. Thane almost lost his balance as the earth beneath his feet shook from the crash, but had the presence of mind to quickly square his shoulders. He sprinted up the troll's makeshift cudgel like a ladder and came to stand on the beast's shoulders. Quickly he dropped a slip knot over the monster's head and rappelled the resulting declivity to the ground.

With a rope in his left hand and a sword in his right, Thane found himself in the middle of the three trolls. His plan had not grown past this point, and he quickly glanced at the surrounding ellyn, trying to find his next move. The leashed troll was suddenly very aware of Thane's presence, and it made to turn around to face his dinner. The ellon gave a quick backhanded strike to the troll's hamstrings, which did little more than cause the beast to stumble. Thane, being tethered to the troll, refused to let go and went flying with the force of the beast's movement.

Unfortunately, he landed right in the hands of the second troll. With one large first wrapped tightly around Thane's chest, the ellon felt the air leave his lungs. At the same time, the larger troll stood and tugged at the rope around his neck, as if just noticing it.Thane dropped his sword and held onto the rope with both hands as the troll pulled. He felt the edges fray and burn his flesh as he clasped desperately. Using his last bit of strength that his abused chest would allow, he quickly tied the loose end around the wrist of his captor.

The larger beast gave one large tug and the resulting force sent Thane flying out of the hands of the enemy.

The two trolls stared menaciangly at each other, their dinner quite forgotten. The smaller one pulled to free himself, while the other jerked wildly at his noose. Flailing and stumbling about, the two managed to tangle themselves around the surrounding trees. Thane could hear the rope straining to hold the monster's, and knew there wasn't much time.

He coughed out dirt and leaves from his fall and managed to sputter out a few words.

"They're down! Now!" he growled.

Sirion kept the attention of the third troll while Lindir and the elleths fell upon the two tangled behemoths.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2010 06:52
Mithennor had faced a troll once before, many years ago. The troll had cornered her in a mountain pass. It had been a long and hard fight and she had been lucky to escape with only a scar that ran the entire length of her right leg. After that, she had avoided trolls at almost any cost, spending many nights sleeping in a tree, or similar.

Mithennor managed to miss exactly what Thane had done, but she was grateful. Two of three were now bound and down, though the ropes were starting to fray, and there wasn’t much time.

They surged forward as one, a few well placed blows would mean this could be over soon. Between Lindir, Idhren and herself, one of the trolls stopped struggling, the dark pool widening beneath it. She looked up, the rope Thane was holding looked like it was about to rip him in two, if the rope itself didn’t break before then, and Sirion was facing the last one by himself. She left to help him, but she stopped as an idea struck her, she backtracked and quickly scaled the tree that overlooked the troll, once sure she could gain enough momentum, she launched herself at the last troll, sword drawn, point down. She landed on the beast’s neck and the sword went in, not deep enough to kill it, but enough to cause it to bleed heavily which would serve to distract it while Sirion finished it off. She gave the sword and twist and dug it in further with her foot.

Unsure of what happened next, she found herself airborn, landing with a sharp pain in her left shoulder. The troll had bucked her off, but in doing so, he had exposed his throat and let Sirion finish it off. Her head spun a bit, and her arm wasn’t broken, the pain wasn’t great enough, but judging by the feeling, or lack thereof in her fingers, it had been dislocated. An easy enough thing to fix when the last troll had been dealt with. She gingerly held her arm against her and used her belt as a make-shift sling. She went to retrieve her sword, still in the troll’s neck, and started to head back into the fray as all converged to finish the last troll.
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2010 12:17
Idhren, Mithennor and Lindir struggled with the rest of the trolls, Idhren plunged her dagger deep into the trolls flesh so many times, yet it still struggled and flailed, making an awful grunting sound as it attempted to kill everything in sight. It was a very difficult task, she admitted to herself. Harder that fighting the dumbfounded, clumsy, pea brained orcs. She swung at its arm, which came flying in her direction, intended, she thought, to assist in the disconnection of her head to her body, she glanced wryly at the arm which lay limply, scarred and bloodied, and missed her head by a hair.

Mithennnor flew off to finish the last troll, and Idhren followed her, swinging her sword in circles, preparing for the next blow. Before there was much thought to her actions, Idhren began to quicken her pace to a jog, yet something in the floor probed her legs to slip.

All she saw was a trolls face, a grisly smile like expression on its mug, and her rich brown hair flew around her face and she slid to the blood covered ground with a thud and under a dark, intruding shape. Her eyes closed for a minute and she tried to regain her consciousness.

Her eyes flew open. Where on earth? Her brain whizzed. Then the large troll foot, holding her body close to the ground, became apparent. The warriors were preoccupied with the other trolls and Idhren took in a sharp breath as she realized her ribs felt broken and cracked. She needed help. The foot compressed more, and the trolls face writhed in a brutish, wild grin as it pushed her sore, broken body deeper into the ground.

Idhren let out a scream of pain as her ribs were pressed more. Hot tears slid down her dirty face, and her hands were soaked with the vast puddle of troll blood that she had slipped in.

She let out a gasp, and weakly cried in a raspy voice, hoping someone would hear.

"Please... someone..."

She saw a tall, figure of a man jogging towards her and her vision blurred slightly as the pain enclosed her.

"Lady, are you hurt?" A voice rang out in the darkness. She knew not which of the company it was yet, but hoped they would be willing to help her.

(OOC: Any one of the men can help her, you decide amoung yourselves, or whoever reads it first. Have fun! )
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2010 06:00
((If it's ok maerwyn and carandra I'm going to have to give you two a line here. I couldn't find a way around it that would suit my purpose. Let me know if I should change it.))

Scrambling to his feet, Thane ran to aid the Lady Idhrenniel. He glanced around frantically for his discarded sword and found that his blood surged with new found adrenaline when the weapon was returned to his hands. Quickly he thrust cold hard steel into the softer underarm of the beast. The trolls howled in pain and teetered backwards, taking his foot off the elleth. Thane followed a couple steps when his blade would not retract from the entry point. He abandoned his weapon soon after, having no desire to be hit by flailing arms as thick as a tree trunk.

The troll spun on his heel to flee, but ran straight into Sirion and Lindir. It's large face dropped into deathly pallor as the two ellyn rushed him from opposite sides.

Thane, who was out a sword anyway, returned to Idhrenniel. He stared at her for a moment before dropping to a knee. Should her ribs be damaged, they would have to return to Imladris at once. There was no traveling with internal injuries... at least, not very far or fast.

"Lady, I beg you, say something," he asked, lifting her head tenderly in attempt to reposition her. Thane needed words. A punctured lung would not quicken their pace either. He tugged softly at the drawstring on her tunic but then thought better of it.

Thane was built for destruction, his life of late was testimony to the fact. Violence was his life, his art, his own regular dose of catharsis. Healing lore was beyond him. Anything he could do would be crude and permanent, even to the elven complexion. The fact that his first instinct was to strip the elleth to check any penetration to the chest, as he might his usual unfortunate patient, only showed the ellon's lack of consideration. This job would be better left to Lindir, who was able to obtain and hold onto his people skills.

Idhrenniel took in a slow but steady breath at that moment. "My chest," she gasped.

Good, Thane thought, despite the elleth's distress. At least she can still talk.

Sirion and Lindir came running up moments later, which allowed Thane to breathe a little easier. Lindir handed Thane back his sword. The half-elf grinned and clapped his friend on the shoulder in thanks. He cleaned the blade on the grass and sheathed the weapon, moving away from the fallen elleth allowing room for work.

Mithennor walked up gingerly not long after, and Thane noticed the deformity in her belted arm. "How fares she?" she asked.

"I am no healer, lady. It seems I was not fated for the gift." he sighed, a little bothered that he could not have done more. "I can deal with minor things, but her condition is not one I trust myself to fix."

He touched Mithennor's elbow lightly and watched her grimace. "A dislocation, however, is something I can right. May I?"

Mithennor nodded and he took hold of her good arm and assisted the elleth to sit on the fallen troll's tree trunk weapon. He removed her makeshift sling and held her injured hand, ignoring the abrasions on his own skin. Thane felt along her shoulder, trying to gauge how far off track the joint actually went and breathed a sigh of relief to find that it had not wandered cruelly. "Breathe," he reminded, as he angled the arm slowly away from her body.

A quick popping noise sounded and Thane returned the arm to the elleth's side, sliding her belt back around her neck as a sling once more. "Hold on," he said as Mithennor stood.

He removed his belt and grinned lewdly at the elleth, ruining his moment of kindness altogether. Mithennor made to protest, but Thane quickly used his belt as a pressure strap to keep her injured arm from moving away from her body. Without another word, Thane left to attend to his own minor injuries and help Lindir out in any way he could.

[Edited on 25/7/2010 by Ohtariel]
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2010 10:42
Lindir knelt on one side of Lady Idhrenniel and Sirion on the other. She was pale, even by elf standards and that was not good. He knelt over listening closely to her breathing for a minute and heard no slight gurgling sound. He sighed in relief, her lung was not punctured. Very gently he ran his fingers over her tunic following each rib stopping whenever there was a grimace on Lady Idhrenniel's face. He checked each frontal rib in the same manner.

"We need to risk a small fire Sirion. I need Willow Bark and Spotted Alder tea before we can move her. There's a little dried of both in my bag, we'll need a full flask." Siron nodded curtly and went to prepare the tea giving Thane the task to gather dry wood. Thane was not pleased about staying and even less so about the fire but there was no getting around it, Lady Idhrenniel could not be moved just yet. From his pack Lindir picked out two strips of tightly bound cloth but before he could return to the wounded elleth Thane cornered him.

"You know we can stay here, it's tantamount to suicide. There could be a company following the trolls trail and when they get the smell of blood they'll pour in. On top of it you want a fire and tea."

"I don't want to be here either Thane but with just us I can't risk moving her."

Point made Thane turned to stomp off but he hesitated. He listened but everything seemed quiet. He turned to Lindir who also sensed a presents. The two of them quietly drew their swords as did the others. This battle may not yet be over. Lindir went back and stood over Idhren who tried to reach a weapon but she was stopped by Lindir. After another minute or so of quiet a call resembling that of a species of nightingale that spent it's summers in Imladris was heard. The others seemed puzzzled but Lindir whistled in reply. The call was heard again, and again Lindir replied. From the deep shadows tall men appeared dressed in cloaks with bows strapped over their backs and swords sheathed. Araglen, son of Argalas and his men walked in and surveyed to scene before them. They were astonished.

"Lindir my friend." They clasped forearms. "My father sends his regards. Are you all well?" He asked as he looked around at the black blood pooled on the ground and dead trolls.

"No we have one wounded. She needs to have her ribs bound. I would like her to have tea of Willow Bark and Spotted Alder. You wouldn't happen to have any prepared would? We’d like to move on as quickly as possible."

"No, but we can move you and your wounded to our camp and prepare what ever you need there. We've had word of orcs about and we've been scouting for them and you. We found the trolls trail earlier today and followed it here. No orcs behind them as far as we know. We don't see as well as you in the dark so at first we weren't sure what had happened here. We were still too far off when we heard the sounds of battle. We wondered if they'd turned on each other as trolls are wont to do. When my scouts returned and reported your company, I was certain it was you but one needs great care these days. My men will prepare a gurney and carry your elleth. We can talk once we are well away from this place."

With the Dúnedain's help they were quickly moved away from the battle scene and before they were nestled deeply into a low lime stone cave, the Dúnedain encampment. There Lady Idhrenniel's wounds were tended to by Lindir and Mithennor. Her ribs were found not to be broken but likely cracked where they joined the breast bone. She would need to have her ribs wrapped for several days yet but she would not hear of remaining behind at the encampment when the others moved on. She insisted that with a few days of complete rest she would be able to move on with the company, and after three days of rest Idhren was indeed ready to move on. Lindir said nothing but he was pleased that she stayed with the company.

Araglen's scouts brought news of orcs to the south but strangely the dead trolls had not yet been discovered by them. Once the wind changed the orcs would soon have the scent and would in short order find the site.

On their fifth night with the Dúnedain and under the cover of darkness and rain they chose to move on. With many thanks the elven company took leave of their hosts and vanished into the night.

[Edited on 25/7/2010 by Fennuir]

[Edited on 25/7/2010 by Fennuir]

[Edited on 27/7/2010 by Fennuir]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2010 11:54
((giving her lines was just fine, if ever needed again in the future, by all means, do... though I had thought of making her swear or say something when her arm was put right since she's been out of the company of 'refined' elves for sometime as well. No biggie ))

Her arm still twinged and her head had throbbed for days after the fact, but as they rode from the camp they had been able to rest and their wounds were mostly gone.

She studied Idhren, whom she had spent several days tending to with Lindir. She was glad that the elleth had been able to remain with them, aside from the tactical advantages of having another member in their group; Lindir, Thane, and Sirion all seemed to have a history and a camaraderie together, and it seemed an intrusion to interject herself.

She nudged her horse from behind the group to be a bit closer to the other elleth.

“I am glad that you still travel with us, you gave us all a scare... you’re not to do that again. “ she gave a small smile “I’m not sure what I would have done had you left me to the mercy of three ellons. Not that I doubt their intentions” though her mind flashed to the moment after Thane had helped fix her shoulder, she knew it not to be serious, but it had caught her off guard after the almost unexpected kindness with which he had aided both her and Idhren... “but it is nice to have someone else to talk to.”

The next few days were uneventful, as if trying to make up for the excitement early on. Sooner than thought, they had reached the point where they had to turn back their horses. The hills were steadily becoming steeper, and steeper and the mountains were looming vast on the not so distant horizon. It would not be long now before the temperature would start to fall, though they still had a long way to go before they reached their destination.

That morning they set about repacking and redistributing the packs so as to make them as equal as possible. It was also at this point in the journey that orcs were said to be roaming the area. Close to the mountains, there were undoubtedly hidden caves where they lived and, where there were orcs, there would more than likely be trolls as well. The two did seem to go hand in hand.

Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2010 01:20
Idhren was feeling in better spirits now that Lindir and the others had tended to her the past few days. Her ribs felt better, but she still grimaces every time her horse spooked or tripped. Anyone who accidentally bumped into her would also recieve a grimace, as even that subtle contact would pain her.

Mithennor watched her closely as she rode on her own, and within a few moments she sidled up next to Idhren, smiling at her.

“I am glad that you still travel with us, you gave us all a scare... you’re not to do that again."

“I’m not sure what I would have done had you left me to the mercy of three ellons. Not that I doubt their intentions”

“but it is nice to have someone else to talk to.”

Idhren smiled shyly.

"I am sorry, Lady. I will do my best." She chuckled.

"Of course you do not doubt their intentions... but one can never be too sure with Ellons in these times." Idhren shrugged.

She would have been quite fine with three Ellons, and perfectly able to keep up with their pace. But their company... now that was another story. She sighed, looking at the three of them ahead of her.

The golden head of Lindir was her first glance. Her eyes fell upon his noble stature on horseback. She felt a slight tender gratefulness for him. All she could really remember from her painful consciousness were his gentle, soft hands running over her ribs, cautiously but with kindness that could not be mistaken. She did not fully thank him for his kindness and his care. But she made a point of remembering to do it someday soon.

And she could not forget Mithennor, who also stood by her side when all the other cared for her. Her kind gaze watching over Idhren with the three nights of restless pain.

"Lady, May I thank you for aiding me in a time of need. Your assistance was much appreciated." Idhren smiled at Mithennor, hoping for a favorable response.

They rode on, and mountains and deep wells in the earth became apparent. There had been talk of Orcs in the area, Mithennor had said. And Idhren was also sure there would be trolls. The thought of trolls made her weak spine have an abrasive shiver.

Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2010 09:42
Back in the North...

“It cannot be allowed to follow in our wake! Our enemies will surely do the same! My family will not be subject to your foolhardy decisions Arpenien!” Growled Burodan, the Elder’s son. The young man, dark and strangely aquiline, towered over his father when he stood, anger apparent in his voice and posture.

The Lord Arpenien eyed his son suspiciously. It was most unusual for the younger man to show such irreverence. Arpenien forgave the outburst, as the two were speaking in the safety of his quarters and not in council with the heads of the tribe families. “You forget, my son, that your family is my family. Be certain that this burden bows my shoulders lower than you care to realize. I act with their best interests in mind.”

“Then I beg you! Forget your tryst with the elves! I will take the stone out into the sea and make sure it stays there this time!”

Arpenien shook his head. “When the autumn swells return we shall be in this exact position.” The old man rose from his seat and clasped his son’s forearm. “Burodan, please find your patience. The elves will be here soon enough. Until then, spread the word that our game makes its yearly move for the rut! The deer do not waste their key to fecundity over our burden. We will not abandon tradition because of worldly troubles.” Wrapping himself in a second fur, the old man stood and walked stiffly for the exit. “I go to inform the family heads of our plans. See that the tribe is ready to follow the herd within the week.”

Burodan, still unhappy with his father, bowed politely just the same and waited for him to leave. The younger man listened quietly for the crunching sound of footsteps in the snow to dissipate before he too stood. Instead of heading for the door, Burodan stood in the middle of the room and warmed his hands by the fire, still in deep thought. The wooden chest in the corner of the hut lingered on the edge of his vision and the young man mentally fought the temptation to go to it. The reason for all their fear and worry was sitting not ten feet away. Burodan felt foolish to leave the cursed thing alone.

He weighed his options quickly before turning to the chest. Quickly he kicked the lid open and pulled back the furs. Burodan, who had never set eyes on the palantir apart from when he fished it out of the ocean, gazed upon the stone’s sleek dark surface. A gray haze set over the rock and images of war and destruction plagued the young man’s mind and heart. He felt a tear trail down his cheek. Burodan’s vision came to a stop as he slammed the wooden chest shut. He could bear no more. Tucking the chest against his stomach, the young man left his father’s hut and the tribe.

[Edited on 3/8/2010 by Ohtariel]
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2010 09:46
As the group neared the base of the mountains, more cracks and fissures opened up. The terrain became rocky, jagged spines and slivers of rock stabbing up at strange and awkward angles. The riders had to become cautious and move to a single file, each passing where the last went to avoid the natural pitfalls and spears of rock that could open an elf or an unfortunate mount from end to end if they stumbled onto them wrong. It was finally decided that the mounts be turned away and the rest of the journey be made on foot. The group took some time to dismiss their mounts.

Sirion brushed his horse on the nose before turning her and giving the mare a swat to get her moving. Some of the others took longer, being more attached to their equine friends than he was to his. Eventually they were all dismissed and the party repacked on foot and set off once more. Some time along the way, they decided to make camp at the base of the first mountain. There was a shallow trench that they followed down to stay out of the winds and cold while also providing a good cover from any prying eyes.

Camp was made light, and because of the shelter of the natural surroundings, a light fire was allowed to be made. Each part of the party gathered an armload of wood to ensure that they had enough to make it through the night. As twilight began to fall, Sirion realized that they had very little food reserves that did not consist of Lembas. While filling, it could become unpalatable if it was the sole thing you ate for weeks at a time traveling through the mountains. An opportunity seemed to present it's self to him.

Before getting up, Sirion gathered his bow and a quiver, and then strapped a slightly curved knife with a worn handle made of deer antler. This may be the last chance to get some large game before they passed through the mountains, unless they found some sheep that lived farther up at the higher elevations. It also gave him an opening to try and get the two factions that seemed to form in the group closer together. Sirion and Thane had history, anyone could see that, and Thane and Lindir seemed to as well. The two elleth were strangers in a group of old acquaintances. Sirion approached Mithennor, thinking she would be more inclined to go hunting than Idhren, who still seemed slightly impaired by her injuries.

"Good evening ladies, I couldn't help but notice the neglect of getting to know each other better, which we all should do if we are to travel and trust each other. I'd like it if you would accompany me in a little hunting before we enter the passes, red meat can go a long way with a belly sustained by lembas." He glanced at Idhren then "You are welcome too, if your wounds will allow it."
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2010 03:21
Their Journey was setback, as the jagged rock and stone pieces were far too much to burden their steeds with. They had to let them go. Idhren slid her hand across the neck of her Gelding. A soft tear slid down her face. This was to be the first time she was away from Raella for a long enough time to be unsure of her safety.

"Dear one, you know the way home. Trust no one, go swiftly." She unloaded her baggage and took off the saddle, placing it on the ground. He could go not swiftly enough with that burden on his back.

"This is not goodbye." She gave him a gentle push, and he eyed her with sadness and fear. But there was no other way.

Sirion approached her and Mithennor, speaking to Mithennor first. Of course, he invited her first. Idhren had a wry smile.

He still had much to learn of her. Unless she was stabbed to death and dying on the ground, nothing was to stop her from getting back up and fighting on. Not even some silly broken ribs. She smiled, hoping he would ask her to come as well.

"Good evening ladies, I couldn't help but notice the neglect of getting to know each other better, which we all should do if we are to travel and trust each other. I'd like it if you would accompany me in a little hunting before we enter the passes, red meat can go a long way with a belly sustained by lembas."

"You are welcome too, if your wounds will allow it."

Idhren slid her bow over her shoulder.

"My wounds will not speak for me." She put two hunting knives on her belt, sheathed.

"Where shall we begin?" She said, eager to show her strength, even if at the present it was lower than it usually was. She would not have anyone thinking she was weak. No, no.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2010 06:14
She rose and smiled; as much as from the invitation as from Idhren's enthusiasm. They gathered their weapons and padded through the woods on silent feet. She studied the two elves;

Idhren had been a constant surprise; she was not sure that she would be quite as spry with cracked ribs, in fact, she'd be pretty ornery.

Sirion she still didn't know much about, not more than she learned when they first arrived at Imladris. She came up behind him-

"so...why did you desire to be a blacksmith?"

(ooc: sorry it's brief, but I'm leaving to go out of town for a week and a half... I'll try to post whilst on the road, but I can't make promises... if not, I hereby give permission to give Mith lines, mover her around, all that jazz.)
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2010 09:13
(OOC: That's fine Carandra, we'll try not to throw Mithennor around too much Have fun out on the road!)

"so...why did you desire to be a blacksmith?"

After hearing Mithennor speak, Sirion paused from scanning the trees for animal life. "I suppose I was seduced by the idea of how versatile it is." he said after a moment of thought. It soon became clear to Sirion that his answer would not suffice by its self. "When you learn to work metal as well as a master can, you could create almost anything. Blades, armor, shields, and even arrow heads during times of war. A warrior is only as good as the weapon he holds, or the armor he wears."

He paused to kneel down and examine a hoof print in the dirt, and then looked around for scrapings on trees. There were plenty of signs of wild life; they were bound to find something.

"Weapons and armor aren't my favorite craft though. It's the finer works that I like most. It requires a subtle hand and patience to craft a work of art from what was once raw ore. Tools of war can be works of art as well, of course, but that is not their primary function." he glanced at the two elleth then chuckled lightly "I apologize; this all must sound very boring to the two of you."

There was a rustle in the bushes farther down the game trail and at once the elves grew quiet and raised their bows. Two deer could be seen up ahead, one a large buck, the other a smaller doe. They quickly took aim and let their arrows fly when the animals walked into a clear line of sight. Two of the arrows hit the buck, both clean shots to the torso below the shoulder blades, piercing lungs and maybe heart. The last arrow hit the doe in the center of the chest, burying in deep and lancing through the creatures heart as well.

The three elves quickly went to their kills and knelt down by them, whispering thanks to Oromë before taking their knives to the deer and readying the meat and hide. As they worked, Sirion spoke. "What about you? What drove Mithennor to wander the roads of the land?"
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2010 04:25
(Ooc: doing this on my phone, please be kind? Also: I'm a silversmith/jeweler, and Sirions answer was fairly similar to my own when asked about my hobby, though I've never had the oppertunity to try blacksmithing )

"That was a beautiful answer. I've never had much gift towards the creation of precious things."

She paused for a moment. It was not an uncommon question to be asked, but she felt that her usual tactic of changing the subject would be uncalled for.

"I had always been drawn to the borders of Lorien, even when I was but a child. Many in Lothlorien started to turn inward with the gradual waning of our people... But I either could not or simply did not. I spent more time with the border guards than I did with my parents at the time" she gave a half smile at the memory "Haldir was not nearly as stiff and proper then... But then there was an orc raid, they were more common then and my parents were slain. I think it was loss combined with a misplaced feeling of betrayal that drove me out of the woods. I was only gone a month then but the open world caught my heart. Other forestsn streams and stories; walking paths of those whom I had only been told tales of. I believe that was what stole my heart. Soon after my return, I became the ward of the Lady Galadriel. That stilled me for a time, but I left again, near a year that time. She was not... Pleased with me then" here she smirked. Galadriel was not quick to anger, but when that fire was kindled, it was not borne lightly

"She tolerated it after to a point before resigning herself. It was then she created me a title and gave me my charges. Normally I am left to my own devices, but on rare occasions, I am summoned and dispatched, such as the case here and now. Besides, if you stay put too long, roots develop and tides come along and rip you loose. Its much easier if there aren't any to begin with."

With that she stood, preparing the meat was finished and the trio made their way back to the camp, where they were greeted with smiles. Lembas were tasty but to a point; the meat would be a glad addition to their stores.

As she sat down, their dinner roasting on the fire before them, she worked on fletching some arrows and asked of no one in particular

"What are your thoughts?"
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2010 04:55
After Mithennors answer, Sirion turned to Idhren and asked of her history.

"I once dwelled in Mirkwood... the dark woods. Yet it was my home and I knew nothing else as such. My mother and father were killed in battle when I was left behind. I was small, only a child. I had relations in Imladris, and from that day on I was sent there to dwell with them. Rivendell became my home, then. I hurt from a wound that could not be healed even by time, and there I undertook a great training all my life. That is how I became who I am today. I have fought in the many battles of middle earth over the vast years of my life, and traveled far. Yet I was called upon to serve and dwell with Lord Elrond and his daughter, Arwen Undomiel. I lived there for ten years, serving the Lord and Lady Undomiel and life grew dormant. The same expectancy and no change. I heard of this council and could not resist the appeal of adventure. And that, Lord Sirion, is how I came to be in this company, if you had asked as much." Idhren chuckled. A long story it was, but he did ask.

She wrapped her meat in mallorn leaves that she had collected, once, long ago, and stored it in her pack, waiting for a response.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2010 01:36
After hearing both stories from the two elleth, Sirion nodded thoughtfully. "An interesting story from both of you, if not fraught with sorrow. Let us hope that this will not be one more tale for dark times, but one told for ages as a great victory. I can say that I can trust the both of you better, now that I know something of you." He gave a disarming smile, to show his sincere intentions.

"We have dwelt in the forest for too long, let us get the meat back to camp and preserve it properly." With each elf carrying a fair weight of the spoils, they made it back to camp in no time. Lindir was the first to start cutting the meat into thin strips to smoke quicker and make easier to store as rations, and Sirion joined to help soon after when Thane did not appear in the mood to contribute to preparing the venison.

Mithennor spoke from the side "What are your thoughts?" Lindir was the first to speak, detailing what they were to expect in the coming days of travel.

"Our destination is over 100 leagues to the north, through mountain and bog. If we do not run into any delays, it will take a week's worth of travel. The farther north we travel, the harsher the elements will be, and we can expect resistance if the enemy has learned of our mission or destination."

(OOC: sorry if this seems to just abruptly stop, I have to get ready to go out for dinner. Let me know if I need to change anything.)
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2010 03:19
“Well what do you smell?” The taller uruk in the dark amour and red eye of Mordor demanded of the smaller orc he called Snuffler. “You ain’t found nothing sniffin’ about all the cursed day. The chief’s goin ta be none too pleased with you.”

“Baa!” The smaller orc cried as he turned against the larger uruk. “Since you lot lost em in the tracks of the men we ain’t found nothin’. They be walking and you knows there’s nowt we can do.” He stood at the edge of the scrub land and surveyed the bog lands and tundra. “They leaves no track in this and yous don’t know wheres they went. Nothin’ but bog stench n wind ere now.” He turned and walked away. “You have at it then, Mordor dog, my works done ere, it’s the scouts you be wantin.”

Just how close the orcs came to them was not known by the elven company. They were on the edge of the bog lands and the tundra and only a few miles separated them from their orc foes who searched further east for any sign of them.

Sirion and Lindir cut a small pit into the damp ground some 35 cm in depth and round. They quickly built a small drying rack of green scrub willow all around the fire and arched it over the pit to cook and smoke as much of the meat as they could before morning. Being as far north as they were there was only three hours of darkness before the sun would rise again.

"Our destination is over 100 leagues to the north, through mountain and bog. If we do not run into any delays, it will take a week's worth of travel. The farther north we travel, the harsher the elements will be, and we can expect resistance if the enemy has learned of our mission or destination."

“We have one great advantage over our foes though; the further we go, the longer the sun remains in the sky. Were we to travel to the furthest reaches of the north, the sun would not leave the sky. By the time we reach Forochel I would guess there would be no more than one hour of darkness each day. The orcs won’t like that much. The winter is their preference when there is almost no day light but the cold disagrees mightily with them. I was with the Dúnedain for a human year 30 years ago and during the winter we found six of them frozen in the snow. It was a bitter cold, or so the Dunadain said.”

He sat back and watched as Sirion set alight the dry twigs and then added the heavier fuel to build a deep coal base. There wasn’t much good hard wood at this latitude with which to smoke the meat, but in the days to come it would be as welcome as lembas.

As the evening wore on it was clear to Lindir that Sirion and the elleths had struck a friendship. Conversation was easy between them and Thane easily joined their conversation. With the roll Lindir played as an Ambassador of Imladris one would think conversation would come readily, but that was different. He was a skilled listener and orator, but to have a casual conversation was something that was limited to a small group of friends in Imladris or Lorien and to close travelling companions.

"How is it that a diplomat of Imladris is learned in survival lore?" Mithennor asked.

“Yes tell us you tale Lindir unless there is something you hide under your prim and proper demeanour.” Thane’s taunt rang clear in Lindir’s mind but he did not react to it.

He looked up at Mithennor and smiled; He had been caught off guard by the question. Thane he would ignore for now.

“My lady, I have not always been a diplomat. My parents came to the lands of old Beleriand with the great host of Valinor. I and some others were told that we were still too young to join the coming battle against Angband. All we saw was the great host and the thousands of swan ships flying the banners of the various houses. To see the mighty Valar arrayed in all their splendour, and to feel the ground shake when Oromё blew his mighty horn, was enough to stir the heart of any young ellon. My friends and I hid in the ships and sailed to these lands. We were found out of course and put to work as “camp brats” and always in the rear. One day earth shook and our hearts froze when the worms, dragons and the hordes of Morgoth, were loosed against us. The defensive lines crumbled. We had been with men of the first house and they took us into the vast forests of Dorthonion. We had to survive on our own with the men until the final drive drove our foe back. I was with men from Hithlum. They were a great people once but their numbers dwindled. From these men we saw how they cured meats and prepared fruit, nuts and fish for travel when time was short. It was these men who taught us how to survived in the wilderness.”

“Once the pits of Angband were open and Morgoth was in chains, the host was set to return to Valinor. I was fascinated by the men whom we had gotten to know, quite well by then, and I chose to stay. My parents who were a part of the host allowed me to stay with Lord Celeborn and the Lady Galadriel. There was no land of Lorien at that time and Lord Elrond was also a part of those who remained. Imladris was dwelt in before the land of Lorien, and it was there I choose to dwell. We were under the Kingship of Gilgalad, and at that time Lord Elrond was his second in command. I travelled with Lord Elrond as an aid and as time went by I began to travel as an Emissary of Gilgalad and when he was lost to us, at the battle before Mount Orodruin I became the Lead Ambassador for Lord Elrond. I never forgot those men of Hithlum and I made it my life’s work to maintain good relationships with men and all elves of Middle Earth. This task has become fraught with difficulties now that men are divided, Gondor’s kin strife, the plague and now we know Sauron is returned. Other than Imladris, there are now no elven lands that welcome men or dwarf. It is death to any but elven kind to enter Lorien or the Mirkwood realm of Thranduil, but it is not without justification. Men are corrupted and the old days are gone, and seemingly forgotten. Honour has died and is replaced with greed and lust for power” He reached out, turned one of the drying racks and sat back.

“Nonetheless, Lord Elrond has kept me busy and I seldom have time to myself. For this reason, I have not allowed myself to be involved or marry and that brings us to today. Once we have returned the seeing stone to Lord Elrond I plan to take some time in Lorien. To take my ease for some time and at some point turn my mind to return to the land of my birth, and once again wander the hills and feel the winds of the blessed realm. I have said too much and but there you have it, my life in Middle Earth as it was, and now is. But we all know what the world now holds for us”

“We must now look ahead to Forochel and not only our journey there but also our return. We are hunted already and the foe will double their effort once we have the stone. Take your ease for the few hours we have. At sunrise we will begin to run." Lindir fell quiet and stared into the bed of coals, dropping in a few pieces of wood to keep the coals hot.

[Edited on 15/8/2010 by Fennuir]

[Edited on 15/8/2010 by Fennuir]
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2010 01:51

“Nonetheless, Lord Elrond has kept me busy and I seldom have time to myself. For this reason, I have not allowed myself to be involved or marry and that brings us to today. Once we have returned the seeing stone to Lord Elrond I plan to take some time in Lorien. To take my ease for some time and at some point turn my mind to return to the land of my birth, and once again wander the hills and feel the winds of the blessed realm. I have said too much and but there you have it, my life in Middle Earth as it was, and now is. But we all know what the world now holds for us”

"Lord... I beg for your pardon, yet I cannot understand... do you not wish for some time, for yourself? To be concerned with nothing but your present issues, only for just a moment. To not marry, ever... I do not wish to presume... things... yet from what I hear of your tale... from your restrictions of time for yourself, have you had no time for.... any other significant being in your life?" Idhren was baffled... to not have time for love. Perhaps he had once fallen in love, yet to push it aside for someone elses schedule...

She hoped she was not being overly presumptuous... yet the idea saddened her.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2010 07:07
It almost seemed that for a fleeting moment, a smile came to Lindir’s lips, as if he were recalling a fond memory. But the smile faded. He looked away from the fire and directly at Lady Idhrenniel.

“No... I have not forsaken love, my lady. But that was long ago, before the fall of the Necromancer. She felt as if the darkness was closing about her - and who could see fault in that? Those were dark days. She left Lorien for the Blessed Realm. Her name was Míriel, after her grandmother. After she left we defeated the Dark Lord. I had nothing then but my work and in it, I found solace.” He sat up and carefully removed several pieces of dried meat from the rack and placed them on a large leaf. Afterward he positioned his pack and laid back resting his head against it and closing his eyes.

“Thane, we have heard little from you this evening. Thane, my ladies, is well known in many lands and deals in the highest circles of power. He too has the power to sway mens’ minds.”
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2010 09:30
Originally, Thane had started baiting Lindir out of frustration. He was tired from the days travels and was hoping to get a quick nap in while the hunting party was out. The ellon was not a sound sleeper and he hated putting the group through his nightly fits. But Sirion and the girls had returned too soon and were now assuming that Thane would help smoke the meat.

The expected duty appalled the ellon. He was a professional soldier. Armies were always provided for! He had no knowlege of what was commonlly referred to in the ranks as 'womens' work', despite the tasks themselves being assigned to young enlisted boys.

Thane took a deep calming breath and decided if he was asked to help, he would simply imitate Sirion's work. Other than that, he was not about to offer his services. The ellon sat brooding, grumpy and tired, till Lindir addressed him.

"I do what is asked of me," he muttered. "When the task at hand is one the great Lord of the land cannot accomplish, for any reason, I am one of many who are called upon."

Thane glanced up at Lindir for a moment. The half elf was looking for a fight to release frustration. But it did not seem as if Lindir was.

The laugh that left his lips was mirthless. "I know and am known by many not by prowess, but by unhappy circumstance. My employers often disagree with my work. But who are they to complain when they accomplish their goals?"

The half elf's mood was sinking and he felt a slight crave for alcohol. In his chosen profession he had seen much of the world, but he had also destroyed much. It wasn't exactly a proud moment for the ellon, but the money that followed always kept him fed and clothed. Thane's desire for violence subsided with his change in mood and he quickly tried to avert the group's focus.

"It may sound like a waste of a lifestyle, but it is my lifestyle and I prefer it to the ones those in command hold. Hiding behind their titles while others do the work they cannot stomach. I hold no grudges against them though, because the weight of their currency is welcome in my pocket."

And with that Thane stood, volunteered for the first watch and stalked off away from the camp.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2010 07:17
Nerrivik is pronounced ner RE vEK

The tribe's chief took his eye's from his hut and turned to look at the younger man and gave a nod, the younger man turned and was off running. Burodan was not far ahead but far enough that it would need a strong sprint to catch him. He knew where Burodan was headed with the chest and because of its awkward size it would slow him somewhat. Nerrivik clambered over the last of three lines of broken rock dunes and was only a few steps behind him. When he leapt and knocked his legs out from under him Burodan had no idea what hit him.

Burodan hit the ground hard and didn’t get up afterward. That hadn’t been part of the plan but it did make things easier. Nerrivik picked up the case and stood over his cousin shaking his head, they always seemed to be on opposite sides but they were the closest of friends. Before he returned the case to his Uncle’s hut he took a piece of old fishnet, wound it into a ball and place it under Burodan’s head. He knew Burodan would be furious with him but when he calmed down, in a day or two, they would talk this through as they always did. When Burodan finally got back to his father’s hunt he found Nerrivik sitting on the case arms crossed.

“Your father sent me to return the case to his hut. He said. "He knew exactly what you would do because when he was a young man he would have done as you had. Now when you calm down we can discuss what we will do with the case.” He taps on the case with a piece of whale tusk. “You see cousin, I don’t want this here anymore than you do but I still respect the elders and their wisdom. There is a better way my brother and we will talk to the elders together.”

When the last of the meat had been dried and packaged Sirion gave Lindir a look and then looked back at Thane. Sirion was concerned as was Lindir but for different reasons. Lindir made his way to Thane and sat with him.

“You impressed me with your candour, I believe I finally understand you. One day just seems a mirror of the last thousand. We both deal with men who have no morals but they sit in high places. Our people, other than our lords, have no knowledge of the world outside. They are shielded from the truth and our lords have closed their borders to the outside world. Within they live in peace and are shielded while we do as we are bid beyond the shielding of our borders. We each work to keep the peace in our own way. My friend, give some thought to leaving this world one day and going to the blessed realm. The swan ships of Aqualonde are ever moored at the Grey Havens in Mithlond, waiting for those who wish to sail away. All sorrows are healed there and you will have no memory of them, life there is full of bliss. But until you give some thought to your next move I need to know if you can see this task to its end. Once we return the Palantir to Lord Elrond you can go your own way.” He looks into the heavens.” The sun will be up in about an hour, go rest while you can, something about this day troubles me.

For the remainder of the night Lindir tried to analyse the feeling of foreboding that had come over him. He could only guess it was orc related but it didn’t feel as though it was the right solution, it felt somewhat darker. He met with the others and told them of his feelings and wondered if one or two of the others might too have sensed this.

[Edited on 20/8/2010 by Fennuir]

[Edited on 20/8/2010 by Fennuir]
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2010 08:20
The ships of Aqualonde? Thane thought to himself and shuddered. Lindir was not the first person to mention this end. In all his time in the field, Thane did not and could not believe that he deserved to simply forget all he had done. He had spent far too much time out of the world of elves. A world where longevity, while spoken of with wonder, was thought of as a curse. Who would want to watch all their friends and family pass while you were dragged on by chance of blood? One thing was for sure, Thane did not want to live forever. It was the main reason why he joined the southern shield. He was a half elf who, above all, did not know what it meant to be an elf. If he could help it, there would be no one to teach him.

When Lindir came for his shift, Thane walked stiffly and quietly to his mat. He ignored the ellon's doomsaying, too grumpy to care. Thane fell asleep faster than he thought he would, and for the next hour he lay still without a fit. Had he been in his right mind, he would have realized how stress relieving yelling at Lindir was.

His rest was short lived when, almost randomly, Sirion came out of the night and covered Thane's mouth with a calloused hand. The half elf opened his eyes first without stirring any other part of his body. He had been in the wild long enough to know that a still object, even in plain sight, was harder to spot than a moving one. It was a habit of his to wake up this way when disturbed. Sirion pressed a finger to his own lips and signaled Thane to get up.

Thane raised his head slowly and found it odd that Sirion was on all fours. Even odder still that the ellon crawled away into the brush, dragging his mat. The half elf glanced around quickly and noticed that the fire was out and the rest of the group was missing. Silently he grabbed his mat and followed after Sirion, taking care to stay as low as possible.

Dawn's first light was breaking around the edges of the camp and, once reunited with Sirion, Thane raised an eyebrow in question. However, Sirion did not need to reply as the two were suddenly filled with an unearthly sense of dread.

((...ugh, they sound so dementorish. Nights just about up so these guys shouldnt stick around too long.))
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2010 05:18
(don't worry, we all know that the dementors were based off of the ringwraiths anyways. You're just bringing it full cycle)

The conversation died off as Thane stalked off to take the first watch. Mithennor laid back on her cloak that she had lain on the ground. Idhren stared at the fire, as did Sirion. Lindir soon got up and left to relieve Thane. She mused idly if the ellon did not, in fact, have some sort affection for torment; either with regards towards himself or Thane. Or he was blithely unaware of just how fragile Thane's patience was. Either that, or he didn't care. Her thoughts turned towards the grey ships.

They, with the possible exception of Lindir, were of another generation of elves. Their parents and those who had come before carried a deep melancholy within themselves that many of the newer did not. They were at a loss for a world that no longer existed, where the valar still dwelt with them more openly... within they carried the memories of newer things and had lived to see them destroyed and contaminated. Yet still they held; time was aught to an elf.

These new elves had been born into a world that no longer belonged to themselves. Mithennor held no such sentiments towards what was lost, she knew the troubles of men and even of some dwarves (though few and far between) and those were real to her. Even the memory of her own parents were like the scar that ran down her leg; it no longer hurt though she remembered both it, and the pain keenly and it had left a mark.

No, the ships weren't an option for her, even if she was the last and only elf come the ending of this age. She closed her eyes, though sleep eluded her. Lindir had spoken truth- there was a foulness about the night, one that seemed to pervade.

She had not been aware that she had drifted off to sleep. She woke gradually, quietly. The darkness that had only been a shadow earlier had grown, and was now quite close. She sat up, pulled her poniards back on, and once more donned her cloak. She nudged Idhren awake as well, though she suspected the elleth had already awakened, and was laying there to avoid attention. She felt the hairs on her neck rise as she saw a figure in the bush rise, and draw back a bow. She dodged, grabbing Idhren as she went. Maybe it hadn't seen the others, unless they were also similarly occupied. They ran, light footed as only the elves were, this creature was still quick, hard to see, even harder to hear.

Turning to Idhren- "so... shall we lose it and go back to the others, or what would you suggest? the sun is already starting to rise"

(ooc: super lame, I know. If any changes are needed, let me know)

Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2010 07:43
The two ellon say motionless in the underbrush, the overwhelming presence hovering around them. Eventually, the heavy darkness left, and they felt safe to talk again. "It's moved on, but not far." Sirion said as Thane finally was able to readjust himself to a more comfortable position. "It appears we have lost the rest of the party." He said as the two peered out into the camp. Among the shadows in the trees, they could see darker, unnatural shadows watching for signs of life. There was no sign of the two elleth or Lindir.

"Lindir relieved me of watch. He wouldn't have been too far, but neither would he be visible from camp. He's probably out doing the same as us." Thane said softly as he fingered the worn blade at his side. "How many do you see?"

Sirion studied the surrounding area, and then shook his head lightly. "It's hard to tell. They blend together and disappear into the shadows as easily as not." he paused again before saying "We should circle around to see if we can find the others." Thane agreed, not eager to match blades with a shadow. They decided to first move away from camp and do a large circuit around the area to search for friend or foe.

(Sorry it's so short, can't think of anything today )
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2010 03:42
Idhren felt mithennor's cold hand grasp her own and she was tugged into an unpright position. She looked at Mithennor, exchanging a glance of dread. She felt it too, thought Idhren. The feeling... the sense of dread and horror. They must run, they must get out!

Idhren drew her dagger and they ran lightly and swiftly, her sprint expanding with each stride. They ran through the woods, branches whipping in their faces, vines tripping and hindering them; yet they kept running. Full speed ahead until they found a safe patch of trees that they could kneel under and discuss what to do next.

Turning to Idhren- "so... shall we lose it and go back to the others, or what would you suggest? the sun is already starting to rise"

Idhren thoughtfully stroked the handle of her dagger, thinking hard.

"We must find the others... this... thing , whatever it may be. It will not stop. It is on the hunt and it shall find us wherever we may hide. Without the others, we are weak. Even two elves, strong as we may be, we are no match for it. We need to find the rest of the company."

Idhren whipped her head around as she felt an intense energy draw closer to her. She put her dagger back and unsheathed her sword.

Idhren eyed Mithennor, who looked wary of her surroundings and slightly fearful.

She stood up, motioning behind her, and grabbed Mithennor as they began to run again. The creature would find them, and perhaps kill them... they may try to hide, yet it would always be a shadow behind them. They ran and ran until Idhren came to an abrupt stop. She sniffed the air, and looked to her left.

A small tree blew in the breeze, and she heard something... voices? No, it must be the wind... and then...

Idhren sheathed her sword and jogged through the trees, she cared not that they scratched her already bloodied face, the cobwebs staining her clothes. She found a small clearing, Mithennor close behind her, and in that clearing she released a breath of air. She felt a sense of security once more.

"Sirion, Thane? It is Idhren and Mithennor, we have been looking for the rest of the company. W-where is Lindir?"

The last word was spoken in an urgent, strained tone, almost as if the words were hard to speak. Lindir... where was he? Should he have died... her breath caught in her throat for a moment.

She would not finished the sentence.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2010 08:20
Burodan and Nerrivik had quietly argued back and forth for the better part of a half hour. Nerrivik would not budge from the chest holding the stone and Burodan was not big enough to move him. In the end, Burodan agreed but he was very bitter, he knew his father would never agree to moving the seeing stone.

The Elders had gathered about the fire in the centre village. They were surrounded by many huts made of animal hide, wood and bone, but there were few villagers there and fewer still listening to their deliberations. Nerrivik heard a raised voices stopped beside one of the huts. He realised they were discussing the seeing stone. He and Burodan listened, unseen, for some time while the Elders heated deliberations went back and forth but Arpenien, village chief, would not relent , the stone was to stay with them until the elves arrived.

Nerrivik grabbed Burodan by arm and the two of them went back to where the stone lay in the chest. He picked up the chest and faced Burodan.

“I do not agree that the choice of one elder, even though he is chief, should put all our people at such a risk. So I hope you have a better idea than throwing it back into the sea.”

---------------------------

Lindir’s skin prickled and frost suddenly formed on the ground and plants that hid him. He laid flat and had thought to crawl into the heavy brush but he found that he was unable to. A horse snorted and pawed at the ground not more than fifteen paces from him. The beast’s one eye that he could see glowed red and the rider was garbed in black robes with its hood drawn up low. The rider seemed to be scanning the country side and sniffing the air. A minute or two later a orc warrior came to him and bowed low. It was clear from his demeanour that the orc had a deep rooted fear of the rider.

“We have found their camp my lord, but they were nowhere to be found.”

A loud shrill squeal that shook the soul was emitted by the rider and even the orc covered it’s ears. Lindir had never seen or heard such a thing in all his days in Middle Earth, but to hear the shrill sound replied to by another creature somewhere in the distance shook him to his very core. He felt as though death was upon him.

It was only when the rider moved off downhill that he could finally crawl to heavier brush and wait until it was safe for him to move on. He didn’t know what the riders were but they were on horseback, unless they walked they would be able to go no further into the bog lands and tundra beyond.

He skirted the orcs and moved off to the West guessing the others would have done the same. He kept moving but still he felt none of the familiar connections the elves shared. It took two hours but he finally felt the others and shortly thereafter came across Lady Idhrenniel.

“My lady it’s Lindir.” He stepped out in front of her and laid his hand on her shoulder and sighed in relief. He was not prone to emotion but he had been deeply shaken. He quickly caught himself and stepped back embarrassed.

“Forgive me my lady, I am still haunted by the creature I have seen.” He took a moment and cleared his mind. “Are the others with you?”

[Edited on 8/9/2010 by Fennuir]
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2010 01:13
Idhren froze as she felt something behind her, what if it was something deadly... creeping upon its prey with unearthly silence, preparing to lunge... she stood stock still, clamping her eyes shut and preparing for some sort of pain when a familiar voice in the dark and a familiar ring of Golden hair. Lindirs hand slid on her shoulder, slightly shaky.

“My lady it’s Lindir.” He stepped out in front of her and laid his hand on her shoulder and sighed in relief. He was not prone to emotion but he had been deeply shaken. He quickly caught himself and stepped back embarrassed.

“Forgive me my lady, I am still haunted by the creature I have seen.” He took a moment and cleared his mind. “Are the others with you?”

"Lindir!" Without thinking about her action, she gently wrapped her arms around him and for a short moment gave a trembling hug. Then her thoughts backed up and she caught herself, backing away with shame.

"Ah, my lord. So glad to have found you. I have felt a growing sense of dread, along with a presence that I cannot yet describe in the tongue of elvish or man. Please, what creature did you happen upon? It is, I doubt not, the exact creature that I felt these past hours. Mithennor and myself have been running from it, searching for the others. So happy am I to have stumbled upon all of you. For a moment I thought... i thought perhaps you...." her sentence trailed off. She shook herself mentallly, ridding her concionse of such a thought and smiled up at him, waiting for him to speak.

She
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2010 08:29
When Lady Idhrenniel stepped back from hugging Lindir he sat down on a large stone. He was still physically shaking from the ordeal.

“I have seen many things my lady and fought in many battles but nothing prepared me for this. The creature came upon me clearly by chance. It was fully garbed in black robes and sat on a black steed with red eyes. The ground about me turned white with frost and it was as if life was being drawn out of all living things for 20 paces or more. I thought I was in the presents of the Dark lord Sauron, until I heard it’s shrill call answered. I wanted to crawl away and cover my ears but I was unable to move. Had it known I was but fifteen paces away I would surely now be with Lord Mandos in his halls.”

Lindir recounted all the details of his close brush with the creature. He wondered if Thane might have heard of this black robed rider. He was sure of one thing and that was that these riders were certainly the creation of the dark lord and that they came from the heart of Mordor. He was still troubled but speaking of it seemed to lift some of the darkness that was over him. He took a deep breath, stood and managed a smile.

“Thank you Lady Idhrenniel, you have eased my burden.”

She then took Lindir to where the others had managed to find a secure location away from where the orcs were searching for any further sign of them. When Idhren left him with the others and moved to take watch it could be said that his eyes lingered on the elleth a little longer. Lindir then once again recounted all that had taken place.

[Edited on 10/9/2010 by Fennuir]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2010 04:36
Mithennor had closed off most of her mind during the events. The shrill cry and answering calls chilled her as never before, it had allowed her to think a bit more closely and it made running easier. She allowed herself to relax a bit when the group had once more been reunited, each telling their particular stories, she allowed Idhren to tell their story in full, keeping quiet.

Mithennor watched the others and caught the slightest nuances between Lindir and Idrhen... The hug really gave it away, and arched an eyebrow as several other details clicked into place.

Ah, so that's how it was. She was glad for her new friend; Mithennor believed in love- she loved the tale of Luthien and Bern and she remembered her parents and even the Lord and Lady of the Golden wood. But love also complicated things- in a situation now, any that might arise, their first loyalty would be to the other; in battles, in fights or disagreements...

But, in the meantime, there was now an open venue in which to jest poor Idhren and that made her smile. As far as anyone could tell, if anything had been left behind it wasn't important... Even it had been, unless it was utterly important, no one particularly desired to return to retrieve them.

"So know we know there are orcs about... As well as fouler things. Altering our path might be advantageous, something more circuitious than the route we are on, it may cost us more time but if we can shake those that follow us, would it be worth it?

Lindir, do you have any further knowledge of these hills? I confess that my familiarity ended about the time we sent back our horses. It has been too long since last I was here."
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2010 12:20
"Well if you had just let me leave in the first place we would not have this problem," Burodan snorted, glad that his cousin was finally seeing things his way. After the argument with his father, the Lossoth tribesman had a different idea in mind. There was no point now in casting the palantir out into the ocean. The bump on his head from Nerrivik had brought that final realization. The newest hiding spot had come from the palantir itself, back when Burodan had accidently gazed into the accursed stone. Burodan was sure his cousin would turn down the idea if he ever knew this, so he kept it to himself. It was foolproof!

Orcs seldom traveled north, as their knowlege of the cold was close to nothing. Strangers of different races were just as rare to behold. Somehow, though, they all retained history of the northern land. Most of their stories revolved around the dragons. It was a ridiculous thought at best, but Burodan had it in mind to use these stories to their advantage.

"Go home and gather your things, cousin," Burodan suggested. "We have a long journey headed east. No argument this time. We already tried your way, it's time for mine."

The two agreed to meet up on the outskirts of the tribe in twenty minutes before parting ways. Nerrivik, who clearly did not trust Burodan to wait for him, kept the stone as an incentive. Burodan shrugged in bluff as if it did not matter.

-

Back at Burodan's hut, the big man said his goodbyes to his young twin sons and swore his wife to secrecy. Lossoth women were not to be bullied by anyone, including their husbands, and it was a fact proved in the resulting fight between the wedded couple. Burodan, who was normally spineless when it came to all things that concerned the little woman, held his ground as he did on the rarest of occassions. This served only to irritate his spouse even more and as he gathered his warmest cloak and sturdiest weapons, Burodan took a soup kettle to the head on his way out the door. He rubbed tenderly at his temple where the pot had struck him and mused at his good fortune that soup had not been for dinner that night. He stopped only to kick the kettle back toward the house and set off to met Nerrivik.

"Well," Nerrivik asked caustiously. "How did it go?"

Burodan sighed. "If she doesn't take another husband by the time we get back, I'll likely be sleeping out in the cold with the beasts till spring. Secretly he hoped that this venture would take longer, so at least upon his return he could fight with his wife in the warmest months.

~~~

Thane caught the sound sound of Lindir's voice back with the group and silently made his way down to them.

"There are three here," Thane reported. " Three of those horrible shadows." The half elf swallowed bile as he finished his sentence. "They seem to be moving off, though. Apparently they love the sunlight just as much as the orcs do."

Thane had an idea of what their newest adversary was, but he kept it to himself. In his travels there were always whispers of an awakened foe that was said to come from Mordor itself. The half elf had always dismissed these tales as horror stories from the newest troops, till now. There was no mistaking their presence.

It was determined that for the safety of the quest, the day would be spent at a hard run in order to cover as much ground as possible. The sooner the tempurature started dropping in the north, the sooner they could take orcs off their list of worries. For the most part. As much as Thane hated the cold, he found himself now longing for the snow.

[Edited on 12/9/2010 by Ohtariel]
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2010 07:55
Blood pumped in his ears, a rhythmic throbbing that beat in time with his footfalls. He forced air into his lungs, deep pulls then slow exhalations to control his pace. The world outside of his mind faded away as he concentrated on the sound of the blood pumping through his veins and air into his lungs. It made him able to keep the hard pace with more ease.

The group had been moving at a swift jog since before dawn, and it was nearly noon now. Or maybe it isn't? Lindir said the days would be longer the farther north we move, maybe it's still morning. he absently thought before it faded into pumping blood and air. The sun had been up for hours, and though none of the party could feel the unnatural presence anymore, it was agreed upon that they should work to be as far from the pursuers as possible. Elves could move swiftly on foot, but who knew what an unnatural mount might be capable of.

A pang of hunger hit Sirion, and he realized how hard they had pushed themselves without eating. "We should break for food. We can keep pace longer and faster when we have energy than if we don't." There were few complaints, but the unspoken question hovered over all their minds. How long could something that evil go without having to stop for food or rest? The food was eaten cold; they didn't even contemplate making a fire. "I don't suppose any of us were lucky to get a bit of Miruvor." Sirion said jokingly. He drank from his water skin, the water only slightly refreshing.

At a glance around the group, he could see that many of the elves were withdrawn. Morale was still low from the encounter, and each one had retreated to deal with it themselves. Sirion cleared his throat, "They will not follow us into the north." He said lightly. It drew the attention of his comrades. "The constant sun and snow will drive them back, I don't think they are dedicated enough to find a small band of elves to do that."

The words seemed to have some small effect on the group, and soon they finished their meal and were ready to continue on. "Whoever gets to the north first will get that flask of Miruvor when we get back, hm?" He said with a sudden smile and laugh as they broke into a swift jog once more.

[Edited on 15/9/2010 by Naucoaran]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2010 02:25
Lunch was a welcome, if somber break. Everyone was still shaken from the morningks events and were all quiet. Sirion appeared to be trying to lighten the mood, how succesful he was initially was hard to tell.

Mithennor had been recounting some of her more harrowing happenings to try to find one that had atleast equaled this morn. One had come closer than others, but that was it.

She had perked up at the mention of Miruvor, but when it was realized there was none to be had, most sank back down. she had an idea as they started running again.

A race for Miruvor when they returned was all well and good but...

"Splendid idea, Sirion. But I have one better: I may have been a a bit more generous in helping myself in Lord Elrond's cellar than he might have supposed and I may have an almost full wineskin. But you have to catch me first."

She had originally planned on saving it for when the task was completed, but now seemed a bit more pertinent. Besides, there would be some leftover. None could afford to be very free with it.

She put on a burst of speed, lightly brushing their shoulders with her hand as she darted by to scramble up a large boulder and then drop down out of sight on the other side.

maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2010 12:28
Idhren watched as Mithennor sprinted merrily over a boulder and out of their sight with her treasured wineskin. She snickered under her breath, ah, so they were to play a game, were they?

She sprang into the air and sprinted over the boulder with her swift pace.

"Catch you we will, fair maiden!" She yelled at the small dot in the distance.

She turned around swiftly only to run into Lindir who was jogging up swiftly behind her. She thumped into him and on the tip of the boulder suddenly lost a bit of balance. She tumbled down the grassy hill over the boulder, dragging him down with her. When they had reached the bottom, she got up again, as Lindir was already standing. She felt her cheeks grow hot. She dusted the grass stains and dirt and twigs off her cape and fixed her hair.

"I am sorry, Lindir.. so sorry..." She clamped her mouth shut trying very hard to retain the giggle that was rising in her throat. He looked irritated, but underneath it all was a strong sense of amusement. She hoped he would not be angry at her.

She looked up at him with sparkling eyes, her heart thumping in her chest, and then traced them back to where mithennor black dot was growing smaller and smaller.

"Let us go and retrieve the wineskin, shall we?" She looked at him, waiting for a response.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email