Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Ice Crystal ((KEEP))
on: December 06, 2010 07:00
Sirion's feet hit the ground, methodically pumping his legs to continue forward. His breathing was deep, but not labored, his ears were filled with the sound of air rushing into his lungs then back out. Mithennor was no burden to him, he had worked formless steel into works of art, and steel was a hard mistress. His leap over a boulder jostled him and he winced inwardly. He was so intent on the trail and moving forward that he had forgotten the condition she was in.

Some time later he faintly heard her speaking to him. "Sirion, what are you thinking." One of her hands clutched the front of his shirt to better face him. Her voice was gentle, but loud enough that he knew it was not the first time she had said it. His mind came back to the present. His eyes roamed as he thought of his answer, finally they settled on her, and he took in the stock of her injuries. "Hatred." he said quietly at first. He almost intended to leave it at that, but she was not satisfied with that answer. "We should not have come, this was a foolish mission." he spoke low enough so that only her ears would hear.

"The price we paid for two lives, the price you paid." He paused and had to clench his jaw, anger for the orcs and what they had done to people, especially one of his kind flared inside of him. "You, all of us, any elf is worth more than three human lives, more than a score of humans." he was bitter, but he was not sure anymore if he was just venting or if he really believed it now. "They do not even appreciate what we did, they would rather go back and die."

A few minutes of silence passed, unsure if he had offended her he tried to move on. "This is not what I had thought it would be. A grin spread across his face, but it almost seemed to show disdain "I was so naive, thinking that it would be a grand adventure, like in the stories. There is nothing alike." He made a genuine smile then, at a recollection so some stories he had heard of. "Maybe one, there always seems to be beautiful women in the stories." Her stare was sardonic, but after a few moments they both laughed, it was short lived and not as heartfelt as he would have been in the past, but it was genuine, and it felt good to have his spirits lifted even if it was only slightly, and did not last long.

"How do you feel? Your chest was starting to bruise last I checked you, are you breathing well? Your leg opened back up earlier as well, but we wrapped it tighter, hopefully it will stay this time. I'm sorry we have not the proper tools or time to mend your hurts." She tried to dismiss him, saying that it all looked much worse than it was, but he saw her winces and hesitations when she moved around. He had almost gone to help her settle in at camp but thought that she would try to chase him off. She was strong and stubborn, not a swaddling infant. He was about to suggest that she have the last sip of Thanes orc drink but she glared at him and refused.

"You should try to rest again, it helps you heal faster. I will wake you when we stop for everyone else." He shifted her in his arms so that she could be in a more comfortable position then put his attention back to the trial, their surroundings, and the rhythmic sound of his feet hitting the cold earth. His mind soon began to retreat once more, but he found that his mood was not as dark as it had been before his talk with Mithennor.

~~~~~~

Adûn sat next to Lindir, making sure that the ellon kept from moving too much. His wound was still young, and he didn't want it to open up again. He had a small knife out and a large piece of bone he had acquired from the more coastal tribes. They had said it was from a large beast from the sea, and was excellent for carving. He had decided to work it into the figure of a maiden holding something to her breast, her dress whipped by the wind. He attributed the decision to a feeling of homesickness, the longing to be outside again and feel the cold wind on his face again. He was only halfway done with it, if that. There was only a general shape cut out of it so far, and one would only know what he intended to do with it if he told them.

He glanced at Lindir, and then looked around at the others. Idhren was still missing, much to Lindir's distress, and the lossoth were huddled on their own talking softly to one another. "I heard something curious that the spirit said, when he first appeared to us. Lindir suddenly perked up at this, Adûn had been quietly carving for a few hours. They expect you to take the Palantir over to Valinor. Would something as corrupt as one of the seeing stones tarnish that place?"

Lindir shook his head, a smile on his face "The stones are not corrupt, but fall into corrupt hands and are used for evil. A sword is not corrupt, but can be used for good as well as evil. In Valinor is the safest place for it."

Adûn was silent for a minute more, then spoke softly. "I recall a song, I heard it once from a visiting elf. He called it the song of Nimrodel." Lindir stared at Adûn, unsure if what he was getting at. "You have an obligation to the stone, to get it to Valinor, but you have ties here as well. If we cannot find Idhren, will you relive Amroth's tragedy as well?" Lindir's face hardened, and Adûn wondered if he had overstepped his bounds. He quickly apologized and then got up to leave, only to be reminded that he was trapped here, there was no where to go to. With a sigh he went to see how the soup was coming along from the lossoth.

[Edited on 7/12/2010 by Naucoaran]
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2010 09:10
((A joined post by Naucoaran and I))

The days all seemed to overlap after the group broke free of the mountains and once again made their way across the tundra. The tribesmen gained a sense of obedience toward the half-elf who drove them farther from Carn Dum, and Thane appreciated it greatly. Whether it was his short temper that they feared or their willingness to see their families again, Thane didn’t know. Personally, he did not really care. The nights were spent without a campfire, and the rest stops were never long enough to quell the exhaustion from their souls. They had no food and no time to hunt. Their water ran low, and even Thane was reluctant to partake of the orc drink.

Despite Thane’s guilt regarding Mithennor, he was glad for the return of his undershirt. The northern nights were cooler than the ellon was used to and running around half naked was not an interest of his. He wanted to check on her on more than one occasion, but held back. The half-elf had been fashioned as tool of destruction, and he believed it now in his heart and soul as he gazed upon the elleth. Thane swore to himself then that he would not rule the fate of his friends again. He was foolishly fearless, and his antics were no longer tolerable. Not even by his standards.

That afternoon, Thane overheard Sirion talking to Mithennor. He had known from the start of their journey that Sirion would regret his decision to leave the forge, but seeing the change in his friend was an entirely different thing. Thane recognized an earlier version of himself in the ellon, and it was cause for worry. When Sirion came to wake Thane for his short turn at watch that night, the half-elf confronted him.

“They’re overly romanticized, you know.” Thane said, knowing that this would not be an easy subject.

Sirion, who had not been around mentally since leaving the orc fortress, gave Thane a curious glance. “What are?”

“The tales and stories you seem to cling to. It would not be an adventure if you didn’t regret coming.”

"Thank you for the advice Thane, but it would have been more valuable a week or so ago." Sirion's tone was glib, "I seem to have come to that conclusion already. You knew all along how I felt, what I thought it would be like. I told you about it even. You couldn't find it within yourself to let me in on the secret of how things really are? You left me in the dark, was it a favor to let me discover it on my own?"

“No, Sirion. I could not.” Thane had come on this journey an already broken man, reliving his pain for the sake of his friend had occurred to him, but felt ultimately impossible. “I am not your keeper. Was I supposed to hold your hand through a simple glimpse at life? Most of the world lives this way. If you cannot accept that, then go back and hide behind your hammer.”

"Like you hide behind the bottle?" Sirion said, staring down the other elf. "That's what you did, isn't it? Climbed up inside the bottle to forget, to hide from what the world was. Hide from what you've done? You don't seem to handle how the world is any better than I do. Half the time you're awake you crave the drink, and in sleep you seem to be running from something you can't escape." He was angry, and he had to work on keeping his voice down so as not to wake the camp.

“Well..I-I…” The half-elf stuttered. He grimaced angrily and cleared his throat for a minute to regain resolve. The last thing he wanted to do was focus on himself. “My point is only that you should not have come expecting a pat on the back. We have done our duty, even if the lossoth do not recognize that.”

Sirion sighed and glanced over to where Mithennor slept "At what cost? You were against this from the beginning, you were right. We've gained nothing and put everything at risk. I am not naive anymore, my lesson has been learned." He finished with a newfound strength, making it as much a statement to Thane as a declaration to himself. He locked his eyes on Thane. "And what an excellent mentor you were during these times." The words were bitter, almost sarcastic, but there was some truth to them. Maybe he did have to be more like Thane, maybe he came into this world too soft. "I will learn my lessons from you, but I will not become like you." He finished.

Thane, who had come into this conversation with good intentions, was not above being criticized by the likes of a green traveler. He grabbed Sirion by the collar of his shirt and shook the ellon fiercely. “I will say this once you pouting school child! I have never been your enemy and have no desire to become so. If I am your mentor then cease your disrespect. I did not ask to spar and I fail to see how my own concerns for you deserve to be met with derision!”

As Thane shook Sirion, the anger finally boiled over. Just as he finished his sentence Sirion swung a large fist and struck the other elf in the jaw. Thane, being unprepared for the hit stumbled backwards. Sirion twisted the other ellon's hand off of his shirt and threw the arm back with Thane, completing the move and knocking him from his feet. Sirion then turned to leave, but Thane jumped back up and tackled Sirion from behind, forcing the two of them to the ground. The commotion woke Mithennor and the two lossoth and by the time they realized what was happening, the two elves had both exchanged more blows and had rolled around to gain some leverage on the other. Their camp was suddenly filled with shouts of confusion and surprise. With some effort the two lossoth pulled them apart. Sirion shook their hands off of him then turned his back to Thane once more, intending to stalk off to where he had chosen to bed down.

The half-elf rubbed sorely at his jaw, and glared menacingly as Sirion turned his back to him. This was more than Thane’s pride could take, and he charged angrily. The lossoth held him, and even forced the ellon to turn around, blocking Thane’s view of Sirion. Thane’s temper cooled faster with his friend out of sight, though it did not diminish. When the half-elf finally relaxed, the lossoth released him. Livid and seething inwardly, Thane walked to the edge of their camp for his turn at watch. Were it not for his own obligations, the ellon would have gladly walked out of the camp and left for southern lands. Instead, he contended himself by taking a sip of the orc drink and waited impatiently for the dawn.

[Edited on 7/12/2010 by Ohtariel]
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2010 08:20
“Adûn please wait a moment.” The young man had courage to put forth such a personal question. Such a thing would never be asked in elven circles unless by a family member or a very close friend. Lindir understood how men thought and in these circumstances he was not affronted but rather impressed with Adûn’s knowledge of some elven lore.

“Adûnlye lomion istima Tengwesta Amanyar.” (Adun, son of the twilight can speak the language of Valinor.)

“Yes my lord but only enough to glean a little of what you and Sirion spoke. I’m sorry if I have offended you.”

“You seem to understand a lot more than I would have guessed for someone of your years Adûn. I had not thought of the comparison to Lord Amroth and Lady Nimrodel but our situation is not as dire. What you say of the stone is true, I am to take the stone over the sea. We gave the stones to the Faithful Ones before the waves washed over and covered Númenor. So we now take responsibility for this stone, one of seven. Lady Idhren, as you guessed, is not aware of this. I had planned to speak to her once we were safely in Mithlond. There we would both have to decide our doom.”

“Are you not compelled to go?” Adûn sat on a rock only a metre away and seemed to take a great interest in how Elven affairs worked. “I have long desired to live with the elves and understand their ways and their lore.”

“I can ask to be released from this fate but only a few weeks ago I looked forward to leaving these shores. I no longer wish to travel the roads to foreign lands. To sit with ambassadors and their Kings who speak lies as sweetly as they speak to their children. I could bear remaining with Lady Idhren by my side but I could not ask her to live the life of a diplomat. Lord Amroth and Lady Nimrodel dwell now together in Valimar where their love will never fade and it would be the same for Lady Idhren and myself. I know Valimar and its wonders well , for I am from the Blessed Realm but Lady Idhren is not. For her the choices, and there are three, may be very difficult.”

Adûn and Lindir continued talking for some time. Lindir took a small bowl of soup, which was horrid, as Adun peppered Lindir with many questions. Adûn’s hope to one day see Imladris for himself was very evident. If they survived this he would give Adûn a letter of introduction to Lord Elrond. For all Adûn had done to defend the mission and see the stone safely away Lindir knew that Lord Elrond would welcome the Dúnedain to Imladris for as many years as the young man wished to stay. Lindir finally grew tired and needed to rest. Adûn saw to it that he was comfortable.

Lindir awoke with a start as the hole chamber shook with dust and dirt falling from the ceiling. It shook again and this time the roar was even louder, the orcs had returned. There was a third roar and then it seemed as though the dragon had left the cave. Anterion suddenly appeared in the chamber with a warning.

“Quickly to arms, we have unwanted guests.” He hissed and then vanished.

It was clear now that the dragon had been lured out to allow three orcs to enter the cave. It was for the dragons hoard of gold and gems that they risked everything. They came into the chamber in a running hobble expecting to be dazzled by the glittering gold and gems. They looked confused when all they found was a gloomy chamber lit by one torch. They were so set to find a treasure that they did not even question why there was a torch burning in the chamber. They quickly clambered over the stones to venture deeper into the cave for the treasure must surely be close at hand.

When Adûn stepped out in front of them they stopped short and looked upon him as though he was the ghost of long dead treasure hunter. They said nothing and drew no weapon such was their confusion. It was when a long bladed knife suddenly pierced one of the orcs throat and the other felt the sting of Adûn’s arrow slice into his throat that they realised they were not seeing a ghostly vision. There was a gurgling sound as though one of them tried to talk but an instant later they toppled over dead.

The third orc called out a warning of the dragon’s return but he was met only with silence and darkness. Nerrivik had quickly doused the torch and everyone stood in silence while the third orc continued to call. Getting no response he cursed them and quickly left the cave before the dragons return.

They waited until everything was silent before Burodan relit the torch. He grumbled about having to deal with the two bodies but in the end he and Nerrivik found a spot where they could lay them out of sight but not buried. He refused to bury them in the cave with his ancestors and left them to rot where the draft would keep the smell from the chamber.

“You are a marksman with knives as well as the bow. Is there anything the elves have not mastered.” Adûn cleaned Lindir’s knife and handed it back to him.

“We have time which is something even the Dúnedain lack. When you come to Imladris you will be taught by our masters.”

“Oh I will come.” Adûn said as he helped Lindir to sit. “I know it is a great honour to be welcome at Imladris but I would miss the company of a good friend.”

Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2010 08:33
The days rolled together and this far north the sun sometimes didn't set, the tundra was bleak, coverless, and harsh. Mithennor was getting better by leaps and bounds, as such as the environment allowed, she generally started the day running, originally to heated objections which they had given up, she was still not able to run as far or as fast as need dictated so at some point she was grudgingly carried once more by Siron.

Ever since the fight neither of the ellons had spoken more than the barest of essentials to each other. A rather dreary quiet prevailed over the group. The lossoth were moderately reticent, and Sirion wasn’t inclined to conversation much, even when she was back in his arms. Thane just seemed crankier when she talked to Sirion, but was still not talking to her all that much either... eventually she had given up. She missed fighting with Thane... sort of, she missed the knowing glances, comments and conversations with Sirion and she missed the way the two ellons would harass one another good naturedly. Thane hadn’t even mentioned her attempts to even out her hair with a borrowed dagger, which would have originally elicited a response. Her hair was now a short, shaggy cut that most young boys wouldn’t fain to wear. Her nights were filled with nightmares about being in Carn Dum, and she refused to talk about it. That subject seemed to pain Thane and Sirion would just glower and get darker.

She wanted to leave. Be almost anywhere else. Thane drank, she ran. She couldn’t bare this, attachment never seemed to go well and if she hadn’t been involved then the orcs wouldn’t have been either. Sirion was right, the Lossoth seemed indifferent to everything and her captivity and the consequences thereof seemed to have ruined a friendship that seemed to be as old as the ellons themselves.

She had it. She snapped out of her own reverie.

“Put me down, Sirion.” He didn’t hear her. He never did anymore. She struggled out of his arms, falling in the process, her leg still not fully healed. They stopped, Sirion just staring at her blankly, Thane impatient, the Lossoth impassive. She stood unsteadily.

“Sirion” she said turning to him “You have mentioned wanting to know what all this is for. Alright. I’ll tell you. So that Sirion has a forge to return to. So that somewhere, an ellon with a love of the forge and fire can make his wares and create beauty as only he can. That, until he willing joined a company doomed to such, he was free from pain and the knowledge of the world. And that others may do the same, that young girls may wake up and find love and the gardeners may find joy in the growing earth, that our kin will not fall and the darkness won’t spread to all. We bare the rest that others may be spared” Her voice was rising and was starting to shake, but she continued “What, pray tell, gave you the right to determine the price? Who here has paid as much as I for this end? Perhaps the Lossoth who were willing to sacrifice themselves, but you? And you” she turned to Thane -

“I agreed to this fellowship, I knew the risks, I agreed to your plan, if I hadn’t agreed I would have made my views know, believe you me. The wound where the orcs cut into the flesh on my left leg was made to mirror the scar on the right. You cannot have missed it; either of them they run from hip to ankle and are deep.” She lifted the hem of the tunic to display them, not that she needed to try, the tunic only reaching halfway down her thigh. He started to turn away-

“Stop ignoring me! You didn’t cut into my leg, or whip me, or brand my feet. The yrch did. Your plan helped us accomplish our goal. If you feel yourself indebted to me for such, then fine. We can discuss the terms later. Or call us even for making you sing back at the camp of the dunedain. I care not. But you must stop blaming yourself and stop crawling into a bottle or wanting to. You drink and Sirion has started to turn into... hell if I know, something as cold and dark as this vast wasteland. I still do not know what all prompted this fight, but end it. Now. Sirion, you cannot continue to blame Thane for wanting to spare you from reality nor punish the rest of us for your shattered illusions. Hero’s arrive home broken, people die, swords get broken and there are no beautiful elleths. Not here atleast; you have me. Thane- the bruise on your jaw is healed. So should your pride.” She turned on her heel, passed the Lossoth, who parted to let her through, she spoke to them as she kept walking, slowly starting to increase her speed

“and if you decided to shun me now, fine. Can’t be worse than the past while.” She began a canter and regretted it almost instantly, but didn’t stop. If Sirion or Thane refused to carry her later when she collapsed, which would happen, then she’d remain on the Tundra, another causality.
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2010 05:17
Idhren stood quietly outside the mouth of the cave after the orcs had attacked. she listened intently to the lowered voices of Lindir and Adun. She knew well when he was withholding from her and she wished now for him to be completely honest.

She heard Adun speak, and perhaps now would be the time to interject.

“Oh I will come.” Adûn said as he helped Lindir to sit. “I know it is a great honour to be welcome at Imladris but I would miss the company of a good friend.”

She turned around and quietly walked back into the cave where Lindir and adun stood, a grave look on both their faces.

"An honor indeed, my Lord. Would one be so kind as to explain why there is to be an honor such as this?"

Nothing had been discussed with her these past few days and she would know it now. That was their cue to explain the passing events so she might not be left in the dark all this time.

"Lindir... I am sorry Adun but could you take leave for a short time? I believe I require your absense to that I might talk with Lindir."

She smiled at Adun sweetly and knew he would abide. He nodded and mumbled something, then strode briskly out towards the mouth of the cave, making a clear decision to go for a walk away from the cave. Idhren watched him leave, then she turned and faced Lindir. She stood, looked into his eyes, and waited for him to speak.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2010 09:47
Lindir reached into his pack and handed her the letter from Lord Elrond which Sirion had given him at the Dúnedain camp.

“I was given this by Sirion when we were in the Dúnedain camp. Lord Elrond instructed him to give it to me there because he knew we would have covered far too many leagues for me to turn back and argue the fact with him. I also spoke freely of my desire to return West one day to all in our company but I did not expect this... and I did not expect to fall in love with you.” He paused for a moment to catch his breath.

“Please read the letter. Only Sirion knows its contents, he’s read it. He’s my number two. If I were to fall it would be upon him to see the stone taken to Cirdan in Mithlond.” Lindir had to pause again. “The letter is mute. Our circumstances have changed and it’s taking the others longer than anticipated to arrive. We must wait until all hope of their return is lost. Then the doom of the stone will fall to you my love, you must then see to it that the stone reaches Mithlond. You will have to tell Cirdan what has befallen us but the stone must reach Mithlond. You see, I’m not sure I can make Mithlond if it takes more than five or six days.”

Lindir struggled to pull down his tunic from his wounded shoulder. He took off Adûn’s dressing and showed the wound to Idhren. There was a bright red three inch circle around the wound and where the arrow entered it was black.

“The orc’s arrow was poisoned my dear and you can see the poison has spread. Were I in Imladris Lord Elrond would tend to this but we are far afield, to far afield from anywhere. If I make Mithlond my only hope will be to sail West but I do not ask you to do this.” He gave a little laugh. “I wonder when Lord Mandos sent Anterion to counsel us if he had already foreseen this. I might yet be able to ask him.” He closed his eyes and grew quiet for a moment before continuing. “I will not ask you to leave the only lands you know but I don’t want to lose you. I would rather die here with you by my side. If I do sail West and you wish to stay for a while I will watch for you when every ship arrives. The day your foot steps onto the docks of Valimar at Aqualondé, I will be there.”
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2010 10:19
In the wake of Mithennor's tongue lashing the two ellon stood behind her, both thoroughly feeling like a whipped dog. There was an awkward air between the two of them, feeling cowed by the currently weakest member of their group. The feelings of ire and strife inside Sirion seemed to be doused for the moment, and he took the time to mumble an apology to Thane over how he had been acting. The other ellon seemed to be feeling the same way, at least for the moment, and did the same. They clasped forearms and shook roughly before letting go.

An awkward silence still remained as the fragile peace started to stitch itself together more and more. "Stubborn woman, trying to run across the world now that she has some strength back? Sirion remarked lightly to try to break the ice between he and Thane. The soldier smiled roughly, apparently a little grateful for something they could agree on and make jokes over.

A slight stumble in Mithennor's stride could be seen, and the two ellon along with the lossoth double paced it to catch up to her. Thane and Sirion both hovered over her shoulders, unsure whether they should stop her now or not. One of them asked a tentative "Are you okay?" and a "Don't push yourself too hard." she waved them off defensively, determined to go as far as she could on her own. It was not long however, that she collapsed suddenly. If it were not for the two keeping pace with her on either side to catch her arms, she would had tumbled to the ground. She steadied her feet and tried to go on, but there was a noticeable limp now and Sirion decided to intervene and sweep her up to continue carrying her.

Mithennor struggled at first, still wanting to pull her own weight again but Sirion's hold was too strong, and her body once again too weak to break free. After the pace picked back up again and everyone was to their positions in the line, Sirion spoke to her. "Thank you for what you said back there." he said hesitantly, slightly ashamed of what he had become for the past week or so. He couldn't quite meet her eyes. "This journey, this mission, Carn Dum. It's changed me, but I may be at fault as well. I let my own darkness consume me, but not anymore." He felt like there should have been more for him to say, but she seemed ready to put on a reassuring smile and spare a few words of comfort. It seemed odd that the elleth that was too weak to run and had to be carried should be sparing words of comfort to him, but he accepted it.

Within the next few days, the landscape seemed to change subtly, giving rise to the hopes of the lossoth who seemed to recognize the terrain. They were finally reaching the tribe lands. The lossoth who had been depressed the whole way, were now stepping lighter and happy to finally be home. Soon enough, rawhide tents and milling lossoth came into view on the horizon. After what seemed like so long, they had finally made it to the tribes. The lossoth at least, were home.
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2010 05:31
The elves and the remaining lossoth had been spotted out on the open tundra long before they made it to the tribes. The tribesmen were ready to greet their lost kin the minute they arrived. Within seconds of setting foot in friendly territory the two missing kinsmen were met instantly with tears of joy, and they ran immediately to hold their family members. It wasn’t long before the elves were remembered and the jovial feel to the camp turned to sorrow. The news of Arpenien’s demise spread quickly through the crowd, and doubt followed in its wake. The elves had no remaining energy to quell the sudden reaction.

A short lossoth tribeswoman with dark hair and darker eyes parted the crowd and addressed the elves. “Hail sons and daughter of Imladris.” She said in such a formal manner that Thane almost mistook her as a figure of authority. Her eyes passed over the trio briefly before settling on Mithennor. “I am Delia, daughter-in-law of our recent Lord Arpenien.” A sudden sadness filled her eyes as she spoke. “I oversee the well being of the western tribe in the absence of our Lord’s son and nephew.”

“Hail and well met, Delia!” Thane interrupted rudely. “I am Thane Duvale. We have come in service to your tribe and require some kindness in place of your duties and lineage.” Mithennor and Sirion glared at the half elf, but he paid no mind. With a quick shove, Thane pushed Sirion forward. The ellon set Mithennor down on her feet, but held out a hand to steady her. “This is Mithennor of Lorien. She has suffered much in the name of your people and is in need of care.”

Delia frowned, already annoyed with this particular elf, and called for the tribe’s healers.

---

The elves were given their own hut that day to rest in for as long as they required. That night they received as much food and drink as they could possibly call for, which pleased Thane greatly. Mithennor’s wounds were properly cleaned and wrapped, and for the first time in weeks, they were all allowed the courtesy of a bath. Their clothes still smelled heavily of orc, but none of them really seemed to care. Simply having a safe place to sleep was enough.

Delia visited their quarters as they ate that evening. “If your immediate needs have been properly met, then I would speak with you.” She said with open animosity towards Thane.

The half elf had been deeply immersed in his goblet since settling in, and he was feeling the effects. He patted the seat next to him with a lazy grin. “We thank you, Lady, and would be honored to dine with our host.”

The tribeswoman found that she liked the starved version of this elf better. She refused to fill her plate, but sat next to Thane just the same. She looked at Sirion and Mithennor, who sat across from her, for a moment before speaking. “I come on behalf of Burodan.”

Thane had no idea what a Burodan was, so he nodded as if following the conversation and poured himself another drink.

Delia rolled her eyes at the ellon and focused on the other two across from her. “My husband, Burodan, and his cousin Nerrivik took the stone from our tribe even when Arpenien would not allow it. But I fear for them now. Our scouts report a great host crossing the land.” She paused here, trying to see if her message was sinking in. “The tribe elders will not go to war, it is not our custom. But they fail to see that we will be at war anyway if the stone is taken by the enemy.”

The tribeswoman looked Sirion over and sighed. The ellon did not have the look of a soldier about him. The she-elf on the other hand did, and Delia had a feeling that the elleth was running the operation from the background… as was the wont of most women. But the tribes would not follow a woman, not even an elf. She looked back at the one who called himself Thane and knew that despite his apparent soldiering training, they were all doomed to darkness were he to take the reins. “I am in need of someone who deals in death to speak with them.” She gave Thane, who was not listening, a disgusted look and stood. “I will come for him in the morning.”

She lifted the hide door aside and let in two small boys, twins, who were carrying extra sets of tanned hide. “This is some of our extra clothing. I trust you will want to burn the orc garb that you wear now.” Delia’s earlier sense of animosity returned, but this time it was not aimed at Thane. “Most of these are Burodan’s, and he has been growing fat lately, so they may not fit as well as you like.”

The elves thanked her, and when she finally left, Thane couldn’t help but feel sorry for Burodan.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2010 07:55
Delia’s rather intense gaze fell on her for a moment, she was not sure if the woman was addressing her as the group leader, or if she was marking her for alternative means. This was interrupted by their trio’s self-appointed ambassador, who did not gain himself a new friend in the woman, which was as far as Mithennor was aware of the situation before she was taken by the healers.

The village healers were brutal, but efficient and more than capable. After a bath they appraised her wounds, determining what needed to be tended to. Her feet had healed but they had to re-open some of the wound on her leg to let out the infection that had started to fester, anointing it with something stinging and then re-bandaging it with clean cloth. Her ribs also posed a small problem- one of them had started to heal incorrectly. Mithennor had started to suspect that something was wrong when breathing started to once again pain her, but did not want to alert either of her companions, not that there was much that could have been done in their circumstances. The healer gave her a hard stare as she explained it would need to be re-broken and then set and bandaged. Mithennor nodded and then wished that she hadn’t as the blacksmith entered. He was a large, unforgiving looking man, with calloused hands that were about as gentle as a boulder could ever hope to be.

Her cry this time was muffled by the rag they gave her to bite. As she was re-wrapped, she could already feel the difference, drawing a full breath was easier than it had been since her capture, though still not as deep nor easy as prior. She cringed as she pulled on her her filthy rags once more, but forgot about that as she was shown to the hut where they were stay for the duration. She gave them her heartfelt thanks, limped across the room and collapsed upon one of the beds, wincing slightly as she fell asleep, waking only when the food came to the hut.
The woman who had greeted, if that was the term, them earlier came into the hut to discuss the more important matter at hand.

Delia confirmed the story that the now returned Lossoth elders had told her while in Carn Dum, that there was a force amassing and heading across the land, to presumably where the stone was hidden; that and her other companions and friends. Her stomach lurched unpleasantly at the confirmation of the story; one of them was going to have to address the elders... she and Sirion groaned to themselves as it became plain exactly who was going to have to do it. This was cut off by the arrival of new clothes, which they accepted gratefully. The trousers she was handed were rather large for her, but with a belt it was manageable. The tunic hung past her knees... if the clothes were this big to begin with, she had a hard time imagining how large he would have to be to outgrow them.

After they had changed, they settled back in, Thane to enjoy another glass or two of wine, Mithennor sipped her own wine and mulled over the events of the day, she relaxed further and leaned her head against Sirion’s shoulder. Despite the previous weeks of tension, she still accounted the pair as friends and she found Sirion’s shoulder comfortable.

“Thane, you do realize she means you to address the tribe elders?” she leaned forward and removed the cup from his hands, despite his protests, settling back down against Sirion “you should be sober. This a serious turn of events, one which can alter the course of this world, should the stone fall into the wrong hands. You need to convince the elders that an act of war is the only way. And if not them, then you need to lead the men.” Or something like that. Thane looked... dubious. At best.

She glanced up at Sirion, she was unsure if there was anything else to be said, or even if it should be. She sat up and yawned, trying to hide the wince. She hadn’t mentioned the re-breaking of her rib, and hoped that none of the healers would mention it. She rose and made her way over to her bed in the corner;

“If you two will excuse me, I think I’ll retire for the evening. And Thane- please refrain from emptying any more bottles”
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2010 09:53
Sirion and Thane had sat alone for a while while Mithennor had gone to the healers tent to finally get some proper bandages and salves on her wounds. Thane greeted the cup of wine in his hands like an old friend, while Sirion gave it tentative sips while easing into a more relaxed position. Weeks out on the tundra running to exhaustion for their lives had harrowed him, and his body felt tired. He did not want to sleep right away though, but rather have some time to relax while still conscious. The drink was spiced lightly, a rare commodity this far north. the lossoth had either thought they worth some of their better drink or it was all that was left. They had also brought in some flat bread and dried fish to serve them as their rations were down to crumbs.

Soon enough Mithennor returned and took an almost assumed spot next to him, occasionally resting on his shoulder. He barely noticed her there, so accustomed he had come to having her turned into him as he carried her. Feeling her there was almost second nature. He had caught a glance or two from Thane as he inspected the two of them, but made nothing of it as he continued to drink until Mithennor took it from him and gave a rather thought evoking speech. For the first time, he mulled it over. Thane was really the only one to lead, if he could convince himself to do it. He had military training, and knew what strategies worked like they were supposed to and which had never really been tested.

There was a problem though, that Sirion knew might arise. Thane was a soldier, true to every sense. He took orders more often than gave them. Being forced into a commanding role might be overwhelming to the ellon, and if he were not careful may cause some hesitation from him. Mithennor retired to bed with a wince, but Sirion was too immersed in thoughts to notice it. Silence filled the room, Thane seeming to go back and forth between fighting the urge to consume large amounts of alcohol and retaining himself. "Be kind to the woman tomorrow, she just lost a father, and probably a husband as well." The blacksmith spoke quietly, then finished his drink. "You are the strongest leader, you have the experience. Your word holds the most weight if we have to convince these humans to fight back. they do not look far enough into the future to know just how important this war will become, if it comes to war."

His mind swirled with other things he might say, but in the end decided that he had said all that was needed. He stood and moved to his own bed, ready to shed the weariness he had been carrying. His last thoughts were that Thane would consider the importance of the next day enough not to totally go unhinged with no one to watch him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adûn peered outside of the cave, looking for any orc sentries that may be watching. At the time, there appeared to be none on the mountain close enough to see him leave. Now was good as any a time to scout their surroundings and see if he could find the best escape route if they needed to flee this way. As he exited the cave the ranger took in a deep breath of the outside air, the crisp cold spreading down his throat and into his lungs. It lifted his spirits just feeling the sensation, and smelling the trees and fresh air. He easily scaled a tree, taking a perch in the highest boughs that would support him. Getting into a comfortable position, he pulled out his scrimshaw and began to scrape away at it with his knife again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grooz sat atop his warg as he overlooked his company of warg riders. They were the forward cavalry, scouting out which path took them into the north the fastest. It was bad enough that there was so little darkness this far north, and many of the grunts complained ceaselessly about the cold. Tundra swept unending in front of him, and he wouldn't know they were on the right path if the wargs had not been able to find the trail of the hated elves leading north. The orc hacked something up then spit it out, grinning at the sight of his warg company. They numbered close to 100, and they were not even half of the main group that was marching north to meet the advance warriors who had for all accounts dug in and wait the elves out. They were pathetic.

Grooz would show them that dragon's cannot kill every orc at once. Once he had what the master ordered them to retrieve, he would become a warlord himself. The promotion alone for getting it would give him command of a sizable battalion. And if they didn't want to promote him, well he could always keep this valuable object himself. For the masters to want an object this bad, it had to hold considerable power. Grooz liked to hold high aspirations for himself whenever he rode into battle. No one ever rose in the ranks if you were content. He gave the order to move forward, spurring his warg into motion.
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2010 10:26
When Sirion and Mithennor finally went to bed, Thane remained sitting quietly at the table. As much as he wanted to sleep, the ellon knew that rest had not been planned for him that night. Thane glared at his friends. Obviously, they did not understand what they were asking of him. Stubbornly he stood and tucked a bottle of wine into the hood of his new cloak, and clutched two more in each hand.

"That woman and her wagging tongue!" Thane muttered to himself, referring to Mithennor. He mocked her now in a high pitched voice. "This is serious! You should be sober... don't drink... don't hit Sirion. Any longer with her and we'll both be on short leashes." The ellon had not appreciated the theft of his wine in this time of stress, and he fully intended on compensating for it. Defiantly, Thane gathered his wits and stalked stiffly out the door.

As a soldier himself the ellon knew that debating with old Lords could win you an army, but there would be little hope of loyalty. In his time abroad,Thane had been up for advancement on a handful of occasions. Due to the nature of his work he had always been denied. The ellon was hard enough to control without the freedoms that came with captain's stripes. Thane knew of only one way to win the heart of the troops.

He crossed the campground at a brisk pace, ignoring the worried stares from the lossoth who peaked out of their huts. Thane mused at the lack of welcome in this place. He was thankful for the aid they had already been given, but he had never known a town of men to be so distrusting. Especially towards those who had risked much for them, despite their own obligations.

Towards the center of the tribes, Thane could make out the sounds of a large crowd gathered. As he drew nearer, the ellon spotted the two tribesmen that had been rescued from Carn Dum. Friends and family members had come to welcome back their lost loved ones. Thane was appalled that he had not been invited. All sense of merrymaking ceased and every eye turned on the ellon as he approached the gathering. He shifted uncomfortably for a moment, before he remembered the wine. Thane grabbed the bottle out of his hood and held up the others for all to see, fully intending to share. The two rescued tribesmen gave a cheer and welcomed the half elf as kin.

---

Delia shook Thane awake the next day. She had visited the elves that morning and even they were clueless as to the soldier's whereabouts. It had taken her all morning to find him, and here he was, laying in the dirt at a guards post. Two of the younger watchmen laughed when they saw Delia's predicament, and they came over and hauled the half elf to his feet. Delia was surprised when they both took the time to clasp forearms with Thane and they even teased him as if he was an old friend who had come to visit.

The tribeswoman had absolutely no faith in the ellon, but how had he gotten any of the lossoth to react this way towards him was beyond her. This elf had been the one to leave her Father-in-law behind on the road, even she hated him without even knowing him. She shook her head and decided that he had probably just befriended these two with drink. As she marched Thane through camp, it was apparent that the ellon had indeed been busy that night. Many of her neighbors greeted Thane with wide grins and a laugh or two. Delia was irritated and she pushed the half elf into his own tent to clean himself up. While he was busy, she made a point to ask around camp about him.

Stories spread quickly of the stranger who had walked into their gathering that night. Delia wasn't sure she believed all of them, but she was starting to see the upside to this ellon. He had won over the men that would march beside him in the aid of her husband! A wry smile found its way to her lips, and she quickly hid it. All the ellon had to do now was convince the elders to allow an act of war. Despite her surprise at Thane's methods, she had a feeling that he would not accomplish this as easily.

[Edited on 15/12/2010 by Ohtariel]
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2010 09:02
Adûn lifted the dressing from Lindir’s wound and cut the sleeve of his shirt to revile his arm. What he saw caused him to draw in a sudden hiss of air which he regretted immediately. The veins in Lindir’s arm had become dark and infected. The infection had progressed to just below the elf’s the elbow. At the wound itself the infection had only progressed a short distance beyond the point of entry upward towards his neck. It had only been twelve hours since he last examined Lindir’s wound and he had not expected the poison to travel this quickly. His optimism of the elf’s survival had been dashed unless help arrived within the next day or two. Even then how would they move him.

“Your face betrays your thoughts my friend.” Lindir words came slowly but there was still strength behind them. “I’m afraid the orc company we had yesterday has done me ill.”

“You must be still and try to sleep Lindir. Anything else will do you more harm. The others will come, I feel in my bones.” He pressed a water bottle to Lindir’s lips.

“You must take more water than that elf, if I am to help you.” Burodan had walked up and looked more closely at Lindir’s wound. Until now the two tribesmen had not been aware that it was anything more than a typical arrow wound.

“You know of this poison?” Adûn ask sounding surprised.

“We are not as backward as you would believe Ranger.” Burodan’s reply was sharp with a note of resentment.

“Yes we have seen it before.” Nerrivik said as he stepped in sensing Burodan’s resentment of yet another southerner, who thought they were no better than savages.

“In the autumn, when the sun is low in the sky and weak, just before the snows come, we sometimes run into goblins from Carn Dum. They come to hunt the snow bears and seals for their winter stores. Many hunters died from this before we understood what must be done.” He reached into a inside pocket of his summer parka and handed a knife with a curved blade to Burodan for him to clean it in the flame of the torch which took only a minute.

With the blade in hand Nerrivik made a small slice into a vein below the elbow and let the blood run freely down Lindir’s arm and onto the floor. He then, with a tiny cut, nicked the wound itself. The blood from the wound flowed down the underside of the elf’s arm and dripped onto the floor off the tips of his fingers. Adûn watched closely knowing the benefits of bleeding in other treatments of wounds and illnesses. This went on for about fifteen minutes. Nerrivik finally allowed the blood to clot and used the cloth from the sleeve of Lindir’s shirt to dress the two punctures.

“You must drink more water to make up for the blood loss. This will not heal you but it will slow the poison’s spread until we can get back to our village and prepare the tea. I will bleed you again if we need to but this will hopefully give us a few more days. You will feel a little stronger but it would be best if you rested and avoided walking.”

“If I can’t walk how am I to get to your village?”

Nerrivik look at him as though it was a stupid question. “On a tundra sled.”

There was a boom from deep in the earth followed by a rumble and then the sound of rocks splitting. Dirt and small stones began to fall from the ceiling and the air filled with dust. The ground itself began to heave and larger stones fell all around them. The shaking continued, there was a loud snap followed by the sound of boulders grinding against one another and then a rush of air as the ceiling of the smaller entrance tunnel collapsed and completely sealed off the only way out of the cavern. When the rumbling stopped the air was so filled with dust it made breathing difficult. The torch had gone out and all around them was darkness. Everyone was coughing but no one seemed to be seriously hurt. The cavern they were in was now smaller and the two dead orcs were now entombed in a pile of dirt and stone.

Adûn crawled on the stone littered floor and finally managed to find one of the torches. When it lit it gave off a soft glow in the dust filled air. They looked in disbelief at the changes around them. The cave entrance was no more. Stones shifted and settled and then there were a few small shafts of light that streamed in through the dust. The ceiling that had fallen in was nothing but massive boulders that would never be moved. As the dust danced in the shafts of light it was evident that the air was moving up from farther down in the cave. Just as everyone got to their feet and cleaned themselves off the ground shook again. It was a brief shake but now there were no longer any shafts of light that cut through the heavy dust. The entrance was completely blocked. Everyone called out to make sure the others were all alright. The torch still burned but with the dust it was like trying to look through a heavy fog. One thing that was very clear was that now they had no way out.

[Edited on 18/12/2010 by Fennuir]
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2010 05:49
The ellon sat with his head in his hands as the tribe leaders fought back over the very lives of their people. Thane had a blistering headache and absolutely no will to interject more than he had to. Unfortunately, Delia had decided to sit in to oversee the half elf’s progress. Even with the little woman pulling the strings behind him, Thane was a stubborn puppet.

“If our defenses leave to chase after our foolhardy leader our families will be destroyed!”

“They will be anyways if the enemy claims the stone.”

“Good riddance! They will do a better job of transporting it out of the north than that half-wit Burodan!”

Delia kicked Thane from behind, she was tired of hearing the name of her husband slandered by anyone else than herself. The half elf turned to glare at the little woman before standing.

“Gentlemen!” he said weakly. “As you already know, my company and I have traveled very far to aid your tribes. However we did not realize the threat growing in Carn Dum. If you can assist us in retrieving the palantir, I assure you we will return to clean out the orc fortress.” Thane had no authority to promise such an act, and it didn’t fool the elders for one second.

“I am certain your Lord Elrond has such a force at his disposal, elf. It was kind of him to send one in the first place on such an important errand. “ Sneered an old man who sat across from Thane. “You may have good intentions, soldier, but we would not have one who turns profit from death decide the fate of our friends and family.”

Murmurs of agreement filled the room, and Thane resisted the urge to look back at Delia for support.

Thane fought through the agony of his headache and took a moment to collect himself. “As a boy,” he said slowly, regaining the attention in the room. “I deemed men like me very foolish… I still do, though my reasons are different now. Why would anyone go off to fight in distant lands, only to have no sown crops at the end of the year to feed themselves or their family? I may deal in death for money, my Lord, but it is no less a livelihood than your own. Your borders have been protected till now because of men like me. I tell you now, that if you do not send aid to your leader you will have more need for soldiers than you can possibly imagine. You can sit here and follow your deer herds or fish the oceans to last the winter, but leaving these orcs unchecked this time will result in your last winter. The men of the south have sent all the help they can spare.”

___

Escorted by Delia, Thane returned to Sirion and Mithennor later that afternoon. He walked into their hut and immediately began to drink as much water as he could possible get his hands on. Thane’s headache had subsided to a bearable state, but he still felt dehydrated. The elves talked quietly with Delia as Thane drank and he paid them no mind. The tribeswoman started to leave, but she paused for a moment at the door. She walked stiffly up to Thane and grabbed him roughly by the ears, bringing his face down to her level. “Thank you, elf,” she said with all seriousness, planting a kiss on both of his cheeks. “You leave in the morning, with the full support of the Lossoth. May your cup never run dry!”

~~~

Burodan sighed impatiently to himself. This is what Anterion meant by ‘stay in the cave’? It upset the tribesman that his ancestor’s best idea was to bury him alive. If he had known Lindir was poisoned, he would have had them all evacuate the cave that instant. They were all just waiting for the elf to find his strength from a simple arrow wound before. Now they were stuck waiting for the elf’s dead companions to come to their rescue. Burodan decided that this was not entirely an absurd idea, since they were receiving aid from his dead relatives. He liked this plan less and less as time passed.

“We can’t stay here.” Burodan finally spoke up.

“The entrance is destroyed, we have no choice but to stay here.” Nerrivik said rolling his eyes. He disliked the desperate tone in his cousin’s voice.

“Well we should not have stayed in the first place! Why are we waiting on Lindir’s dead friends?”

Nerrivik brought a finger to his lips indicating that Burodan should be silent. There was no point in upsetting the injured elf. “We don’t know that for sure. Besides, one of them might still be alive to send help.”

“Do you hear yourself?” Burodan hissed. “Might? We might also die in here. I say we move further down into the mountain. It’s colder there, but there’s a small opening in one of the tombs. There’s water and fresh air. We can decide what to do from there.”

As much as Nerrivik didn’t want to encourage Burodan’s panic attack, he did realize that his cousin had a point.

[Edited on 22/12/2010 by Ohtariel]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2010 04:40
Mithennor woke the following morning to the Lossoth woman shaking her in a search for Thane. She had liked Delia the day before, but the gruff manner of her awakening might have damaged the elf’s opinion of the woman.

She looked up as Delia stalked out and then glanced at Sirion, who shrugged. She swung her legs out of bed and stretched carefully to avoid aggravating anything since Sirion was watching her still. The twins that had given them their clothes last night entered again with a few loaves of bread, some honey and what looked suspiciously like gruel. Mithennor and Sirion helped themselves to all else but the gruel. They were about halfway through with her meal when one of the healers came and requested her presence in a way that left no room for disagreement. She rose and followed the woman, observing the village as she went.

It was a stark scene; the faces were drawn and wary, though there were a few thin smiles exchanged as some nudged one another and gestured in her direction. She caught some of their glances and the grins grew broader. She followed the healer into the hut.

The healer unwrapped her leg, inspected her previous handy work, applied more poultice, re-wrapped it and then looked at her ribs. The re-set was still in place and the new bruises showed up black amongst the faded yellows and greens that mottled most of her skin. Momentarily satisfied that Mithennor would neither die nor cause herself more harm, she was released with a warning to not exert herself further until everything was fully healed. She handed Mithennor a skin filled with, what she explained, was a tea made to help with the pain and to fight off further infections.

She left the hut again and upon seeing more knowing glances, inquired of the two young men.

"It would seem that you know something about myself that I do not. Unless I am mistaken, but what would warrant such a reaction?"

the pair exchanged glances

"Just... we've heard about your journeys with Thane. And Sirion" he added the other ellon on as an afterthought and as they continued with the story, most of which made Thane out to be the hero, her mood fluctuated ranging from amusement to irritation and back again, and occasionally overlapping. Eventually, she departed from the pair, but not before overhearing
“she doesn’t seem as bad as Thane told”
“don’t they all?” and then laughter.

She skulked back to the hut where Sirion was, the good mood that had been momentarily instilled over Thane’s unorthodox methods was gone. If he thought of her as such as burden, she almost preferred when he acted as if she weren’t there. She brushed it off as she entered the hut, followed not too long by Thane, who ignored all else and headed for the water barrel, and Delia. Evidently Thane’s method’s, whatever they had been, were successful. Tactics were still a bit iffy and weapons were going to be difficult to come by, but they were marching in the morning.

After Delia’s thanks, Thane sat back down drinking his water this time instead of gulping it.

She sat down carefully and raised the skin with the tea to her lips, taking a sip, wincing at the bitter taste, she liberally added some of the morning’s leftover honey and then tried again, it was improved but not anything she would consume willingly.

“many congratulations, Thane, on your burgeoning ambassadorial skills. If you keep this up, Lindir may be out of a job.” She gave a half smile “when tomorrow do we leave? We’ve been out of harm’s way for nearly a day now, we are due for more....” she searched for a word “excitement. And how many new companions have we acquired?”

Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2010 09:03
In the chamber the dust had finally settled and the air was breathable again. Idhren and Adûn checked on Lindir but he was fine and aside from all of them dealing with an uncontrollable terror no one had been hurt. The elven company remain huddled together. There seemed to be a feeling of security in numbers amongst them, as it would be better to die together rather than be picked off by falling rocks one at a time. Burodan and Nerrivik had what seemed a tense conversation mostly in their own tongue thou it was clear at one point that they were discussing leaving and Lindir’s condition. The Lossoth had become quiet but their looks betrayed the turmoil they wrestled with within.

“Anterion! In the name of the Fëanturi show yourself!” Lindir’s sudden shout broke the silence and startled everyone. “We have need of your counsel!”

Anterion showed himself immediately.

“Why were we not warned of this, and what would you have us do now? Would you have us sit here and die waiting for news or be crushed and entombed when the ground quakes again? You surely know what the fate of our companions is? Why do we sit here and wait only to fall when the orcs lose their fear of your dragon. The Nazgûl and the captains of Carn Dum will wonder why it does not fight with them, as dragons always have. They will see through your shadow puppet and wonder how it was able to leave it’s den when it’s den is no more! There is now nowhere for your dragon to hide. When all is lost even a dragon would have retreat to one of its lesser dens."

“How would I know of the coming quake.” He said sounding disingenuous. “Look about you you’ll see that none of you are harmed.”

“If us being unharmed is down to you then you must have known the quake was coming.” Lindir cut him off. “Our safety was more to luck than you Anterion and you know that all too well. If you have such great power to hold back the stones then you can surely move them? You had no idea what would happen when the stones began to move. What was it you were hoping for? Did you expect the stones to entomb us with the seeing stone and end it there? If you are meddling in things that you should not your masters will know and you will pay dearly. “If us being unharmed is down to you then you must have known the quake was coming.” Lindir cut him off. “Our safety was more to luck than you Anterion and you know that all too well. If you have such great power to hold back the stones then you can surely move them? You had no idea what would happen when the stones began to move. What was it you were hoping for? Did you expect the stones to entomb us with the seeing stone and end it there? If you are meddling in things that you should not your masters will know and you will pay dearly. You may find yourself cast into the prisons of Mandos if we fail in our charge because of your misguided lust for revenge. Now heed my counsel Anterion and speak only the truth.”

Anterion stared at him and said nothing for a minute and then evaded the questions entirely. “Follow Burodan’s lead and move deeper into the tunnel. It will not be an easy trek as much of the lower tunnel collapsed but you can get through. Do not leave the stone behind thinking it will be crushed for you know of its strength. Your companions live but more I cannot say. If you leave the protection of the lower tunnel your fate will be in your own hands. The warg riders, over four score of them, are not more than two days away and the orc battalion is a day and a half behind them. The sun shines bright and if that remains the case you will have at most a day or two more. But you Lindir...”

Again Lindir cut him off in mid sentence.

“You have an in-depth knowledge of where the orcs are, of their numbers, of their composition and how far they have to travel. Why can you not tell us where our company is, what of their condition and of those they went to rescue and how far they have to travel,. You have done nothing but keep us here. You have protected us but done little more. When the orcs discover that your dragon has few teeth and little heat in its flame what were you going to do then?”

Anterion vanished. Quiet shock was the first reaction and then confusion.

“I think we should move down into the mountain. There’s fresh air, water and I found a small opening before the quake, it may still be there. When we reach it we can decide what to do then.” Much to Nerrivik’s surprise his cousin spoke clearly and calmly.

Burodan took the chest holding the Palantir. Adûn and Nerrivik worked together to move Lindir. Idhren drew her sword and took point. There was a lot of debris that had fallen in but the tunnel no longer had a steep downward slope. Lindir insisted on walking when the debris became too heavy to walk around. His arm was placed in a sling and though his head swam he walked the rest of the way. The further they went the fresher and colder the air became.

When they reached the bottom the water pool was gone but the land and the mountain had changed. The land dropped away on one side and the bedrock in which the tunnel had formed had been push up. The opening that Burodan had found was now about three times the size and with a little digging they could easily open the entrance enough to leave the tunnel.

Adûn was the first one out and scouted the area. While the others waited they agreed that they would leave the tunnel depending on what Adûn would find. On his return the news couldn’t have been better. The orcs had camped in a sheltered area below a rock face that kept them out of the sun. When the quake came it was mid day and all the orcs hid in the shade of the rock face. Because of the quake the rock face gave way and all but two of the orcs had been buried and perished. Adûn put a quick end to the two remaining orcs. Lindir had lost his trust of Anterion’s counsel and it was time to leave.

[Edited on 23/12/2010 by Fennuir]
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2011 09:36
(OOC Holidays over so I thought I’d try and get us going again.)

Adûn scrambled through the opening and quickly told them of their good fortune. It was decided that they would leave immediately. Everyone made it through easily but it was difficult for Lindir and he needed help to make the last few metres. All of them took a moment to breath the clean fresh air that had a tang of salt in it from the sea that was not too distant. Nerrivik and Burodan had no problems getting their bearings and knew the way over the open tundra. A good start was made but Lindir faded and in spite of his assertions that he could walk it was clear that he was struggling to keep up even at a slower pace.

“He should not be walking.” Nerrivik commented to Adûn when they stopped. “It will spread the poison and I will have to bleed him again.”

“I may be slow but I am not deaf.” Lindir said with some strength. “I know I am slowing you but all you need do is get me to the peninsula and there you will leave me. I will make my way out a league or more if I can and there I’ll wait. Orcs fear the water. They will not wander too far out before their fear stops them. I will leave no trace of my passing and that will be reason enough for them to stay to the mainland. It was fifteen leagues from the hills to the bay and we’ve come about three leagues I’d say. I’ll can make the remaining twelve leagues. If I spot the enemy, and I will see them long before they see us, you will leave me and get back to your village. The others are there I’m sure of it. I will hide behind one of the dunes and wait for you. The stone will go with me I believe it’s safer that way. If need be I will send it back to the depths of the sea.” Lindir stood and looked toward the hills for any sign of orcs, but there was nothing and if Anterion was right they were still a day or two behind of them.

“Well I think I can make another 3 leagues my friends. Shall we go?”
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2011 04:33
(Agreed, lets get this back on the road.)

Adûn wanted to advise Lindir that he should not push himself, and that he needed to rest and recover. Better late than dead, he thought. Looking at Lindir's determination though, he was not quite sure the elf would die until he willed himself to. Without much choice, the small team pushed on. Adûn would run ahead periodically to scout the land ahead, leaving subtle markers that Lindir could read and follow. Traveling in this manner, Adûn was able to lead the group around some obstacles that would have taken too long to navigate with Lindir in his condition.

~~~~~~~~

"Before dawn." Thane said wearily as he stared at the mug of water in his hands. He waited for Delia to leave, and then a few moments afterwards. "We have acquired nearly two-hundred men." he sneered "But no warriors. Fishermen, huntsmen, and peasants all, but no warriors. We will be lucky if half of them can fight with any skill, even more lucky of the other half don't run in fear."

Thane's mood seemed to dampen the victory they had just won. They were no longer three elves against a battalion of orcs, but Thane made it seem that they were no better off than before. "We will help them then." Sirion said, trying to bring some positive thinking into it. "We pick the best and brightest, the ones with the most promise, and teach them basic techniques and strategy, then have them lead the others. "The best soldier is one who just follows orders anyways, isn't that right Thane?" he finished in jest, jabbing a toe at Thane across the way. He seemed unmoved, his lips parting in a thin smile as if to humor the other ellon.

"I don't suppose they know much about arms or armor either then." Sirion mused "Most of their armor will be their clothes and hide, but I can see what I can do to help a little at least." The task was huge, and in reality he knew he would do little to actually make a difference, but his old determination and altruistic view of the world was creeping back into him now that they had left Carn Dum behind.

[Edited on 7/1/2011 by Naucoaran]
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2011 10:39
Early the next morning the elves packed what little of their belongings that still remained with them and even helped break down their hut. On the outskirts of the tribes, two hundred poorly armed lossoth could be spotted waiting patiently for their new commanders. Their families and friends waited close by to see them off.

Thane had been good that night, as he had remained sober and asleep in his own bed, so he was of some use the next morning. New supplies and tools had been provided for the trio and it seemed most of it had once again been strapped to his back. Sirion was more interested in the state of the lossoth armor than food, so his pack was reserved for his craft. Thane rolled his eyes at this but kept his complaints to himself.

As they neared the edge of the tribes, the short tempered and short statued lady Delia awaited them. "I thank you all for your efforts." she said with the utmost sincerity. "I know you must find our customs strange, but realize that we all acknowledge and appreciate what you have done."

Thane nodded, but really had nothing else to offer the little woman.

"Lady Mithennor," she said, turning to the elleth. Delia handed her a wineskin. "Normally we send a trading party south for supplies before the winter, but alas, this year we sent a messenger party in its stead. This is dorwinion wine and it has traveled long and far. Your companion's vice is known to us," she muttered, looking at Thane. "I trust you will ration this better than he can."

The half elf grumbled under his breath as Mithennor tucked the wineskin away in her pack.

"We now send all the aid we have left with you three." Delia continued sadly. "I only pray that you are able to bring most of them back."

With that the trio left the tribeswoman behind and met up with their new recruits. The tribe elders were already there, painting marks of blessing on the foreheads of their warriors. The old ones said nothing to the elves, and watched in silence and sorrow as the new battalion left the encampment.
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2011 06:04

“Well I think I can make another 3 leagues my friends. Shall we go?”

"Yes, My lord. I see nothing can possibly stop your determination. That leaves us no choice but to carry on." Idhren smiled wryly at him, knowing that he had such spirit as to carry on for a hundred leagues with three stabs to the heart and still live.

Yet a dark crevice in her heart trembled with fear for him. The better, more knowledgeable side of her knew that he would live on, that he would keep fighting day after day. But still the thought tormented her endlessly. What if he were not to live on? Perhaps his infection was not healing properly... perhaps he would die. And then what, what for her? and for the rest of the company? She shuddered subconsciously, and Lindir gazed at her with concerned eyes. Her worry must have been showing... she could not let it. For she knew it would also burden him, and that was something he did not need. So she added a happier bounce to her brisk walk and gave Lindir as sincere a smile as she could muster. He smiled back, his eyes twinkling.

Adun was a great help, scouting the land before them and they managed to avoided many of the trials ahead, thanks to his assistance. They had about 2 leagues to go, before it was too much for Lindir's body to handle. Should he see the enemy, Idhren did not care for the idea of leaving him alone and returning to the village. Would not two elves work better together than one? He would have a better chance of healing faster with her by his side, after all, she was a skilled healer. Perhaps he would loosen his rules and let her go with him.

She walked beside him, keeping his pace with ease. Just standing next to him and feeling his warm energy beside her own was enough to heal an army of wounded men. She reached for his hand and slid her own in his, gently rubbing the back of his hand with her delicate touch.

"My dear... I fear we will encounter the enemy very soon. With your infection, your wound... I also fear that you will be slowed down alone for you are still healing and you have not the strength that you once did when you were strong and healthy as always. I am begging, please let me stay with you. I will heal you... we have a better chance of keeping the stone safe, perhaps you will not need to return it to the churning waves of the sea. I will be there to fight with you. Your strength with return faster with me by your side, Lindir. I cannot force this on you, but I ask for you to consider my offer."

She glanced alongside at him, and watched his brow furrow as he thought about the proposition.

"It is also that... I cannot leave your side my lord. If you die, I fear that I shall share the same fate. I will not let myself be parted from you."

She said her last words with so much sincerity and felt the truth of them ring in her ears, she thought she may cry. And so she did, and quickly brushed the tears away hoping that he would not see her in her weak state.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2011 09:36
Burodan had found a staff and gave it to Lindir. Were this a forested area it would not have been a remarkable find but the only trees were over fourty leagues South of this place. After a few minutes thought Nerrivik recalled seeing the staff in the hand of Anterion the day they had first met him. On his appearances since then no one remembered seeing him with it. It was odd, and a little unsettling. It would certainly help but why was it there? He examined the staff and the Lossoth patterns and scenes. He ran his hand over the smooth grain of the wood and the carvings, it was well made, one certainly befitting a high Chieftain. Lindir was suspicious of it and it was then that the hair on the back of his neck bristled, Lindir turned around and looked back. Anterion stood there some 20 metres behind him. Idhren joined Lindir but said nothing.

“There is nothing for you here.” Lindir tossed the staff back to him. “Take your staff and return to your masters and let them judge your deeds.”

“The staff is no longer mine.” Anterion replied. “It is now yours and your house for perpetuity. Bear it well elf.” In the next instant the staff was at Lindir’s feet and Anterion was gone.

Lindir picked up the staff and took it as his own. He was able to cover the next six leagues at a reasonable pace with only one stop. He felt somewhat stronger and even his arm had some warmth to it.

The peninsula was now only a league away. Here they would be able to turn and cross open country and head to the Lossoth village, which they should make by noon of the following day. From this point on Lindir would be on his own. To make the load easier they had taken the Palantir from its box. Idhren wrapped it in one of her shirts which Lindir slung over his right shoulder. Idhren did not want to be separated nor did Lindir. Their parting was emotional as they embraced one last time, but for now it was the best. Should they run into any orcs on their way to the village Idhren’s sword skills would be desperately needed.

Lindir stood at the edge of the sea looking down the length of the barren, stone littered peninsula. Satisfied there was no one he made his way along the rocky shore line and picked his way over the mounds of rock pushed up by the winters ice flows. He went about two miles and made sure that his journey left no signs of his passing. He took cover as best he could on the backside of one of the many mounds. He dug a small hole out of the rocks and placed the wrapped seeing stone in it and then covered it over. All he could do now was wait for the others to return. He was tired and within minutes of laying back sleep took him.

He awoke sometime later with a start, certain he’d heard the grinding sound of stone on stone. All was quiet and then again he would hear something that was not the wind. He shimmied as best he could the two feet to the top of the mound and carefully peered over. He was surprised at what he saw and stood up.

“Idhren?” She scrambled over the stones to him and for a few moments they just held each other. Lindir said nothing of her return because he was as thrilled to see her as she was him.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2011 06:56
Mithennor smiled wryly as she accepted the wineskin from Delia, looking up she saw Thane glower a bit and skulk off to tend to something. She had been impressed with his ability to abstain from drink the night before, but with his patience starting to wear thin this early on, the wine would probably be gone before they got to the others. And the palantir. And the orcs.

She tucked it into her rucksack which had been given her by the healers. There were another two wineskins with the tea, bandages and poultices. There were other medical items packed into other bags, but they had given her supplies and instructions for her own hurts as well as others, as much as could be taught in such short time. They spoke in optimistic tones, but their eyes gave them away- drawn, wary, burying most of them already in their heads. Mithennor accepted the herbs with what grace she could, but Idhren would have been better at this. Her own skills with healing were on parr with her skills concerning fighting; she knew what she had to in order to survive, and even then there was a fair bit of luck from the Valar involved.

The march started, the trio at the front. Thane was silent and Sirion was working out logistics in his head. Thanes first assessment was sadly accurate and Sirion’s optimism was poised to be crushed again, she held out hope that he was simply hoping for the best while preparing for the worst.

She wormed her way in between the pair, passing the day in relative silence, taking furtive sips of her tea to take the edge off the throbbing in her side. At some point in the early evening she pointed out that they should probably stop and make camp for the night so they could start early the next morning.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2011 07:45
Mithennor's suggestion did not fall on deaf ears. Thane was the first to agree, roughly fighting his way out of the large pack he had been forced to carry. "Why do I have the tent anyways, Sirion could carry it easier than me!" The other ellon through him a look, his eyebrow raised in amusement. Before anything could be said, however, Mithennor pointed out to Thane that several of the Lossoth were carrying tents of their own, and none were complaining.

"Shall you need help setting it up then?" Sirion said lightly, kneeling down to the roll and loosening the ties on it. To be fair, the tent was larger than the others the Lossoth had, being made to fit three and a small collapsible table for maps and stratagems. Sirion wasn't sure if it was a gift, or if Thane had liberated it from the tribe without their knowing. After it was all set up, Thane collapsed down onto his bed mat. Sirion stood at the door of the tent, staring out on the rag-tag group of would-be soldiers they had acquired. Not long after Thane seemed to lie down, the blacksmith said something to make him moan a complaint.

"It would be a good idea though, and we might not get many other chances to test their skills." Sirion had suggested a friendly competition with all the soldiers. The most capable would volunteer themselves and have a friendly sparring match with the elves, both to test their skill and see where they were at, but to also train them a little and establish possible leaders within the Lossoth. The only problem was that Thane was not in the mood to do any more work. Mithennor came and stood by Sirion's side, another voice in favor of the activity. Sirion put on a grin then put an arm around Mithennor's shoulders, a triumphant ring in his voice as he said "we win, get up."

There were a few more complaints from Thane before he got up and exited the tent with them. By this time the Lossoth had all set up their own areas and began to settle down. Sirion nudged Thane in the ribs, provoking him to make the announcement. He received a glare, but the half-elf began calling everyone’s attention to him. In short order, some brackets had been made and the sparring was under way. Before long there were 10 finalists who had progressed undefeated through their brackets. These 10 each in turn fought the elves and when it was all finished, the elves had a better idea of where their army stood.

The final 10 actually showed some good promise, and after a private talk between the elves, they decided to make those ten each the leader of 19 other men, giving them their each small force to command on the field. It was their job in turn then, to help train the less skilled men in fighting and make them competent in battle. Thane named them all Lieutenants and then sent them on their way to spend the rest of the night how they wished, a final shout to them that they needed to assign night watchmen as well.

Thane let out a long sigh and turned to face the other two. "What are we then?" Sirion asked, somewhat expectantly. Thane looked somewhat confused, and then Mithennor answered.

"We," she stressed an emphasis as she looked to Sirion "Are Thane's Captains, he is our commander now. There can't be three lead horses on a wagon, same for an army." She gave Thane a look then "But that's for official matters only, we still are a team. You both know that I call the shots." She said it with an air of laughter and then disappeared into the tent, thane close on her heels and Sirion following last, grinning.

As he entered the fold and closed it against the twilight chill, he heard Thane nearly demanding the skin of wine. Mithennor did not seem keen on giving it to him so readily, and was trying to keep it away from the other. Finally she spotted Sirion’s pack on his mat and a hope arose in her. "You do not, by chance, still have your cup of dice, do you Sirion?" She said with a sly grin. Thane folded his arms over his chest and looked somewhat indignant.

"We do not have nearly enough to play that game again." he said bitterly.

"That was not the game I intended to play." The grin grew, but still held a sly curve in it along with an impish twinkle to her eye. When her look did not change, Thane began to grow wary. "We will also need two more cups of dice, if you could find some from the Lossoth maybe?" Sirion nodded and left to find some, a little excited to see what she had in mind.

"What do you intend?" Thane said slowly.

"To see how desperate you want this wine, of course." Sirion returned a short time later, the Lossoth played dice frequently it turned out, and it was easy to find the required dice. He rattled the three cups then set them down on the table, grinning.

"The game is simple." Mithennor said, inspecting the dice. It's a game of strategy and bluff. We each role a private hand, and call how many of one face we think are in all three cups. You can only increase the face value or number of dice you call, not decrease. If you think someone is bluffing, you can call them. If there are less dice than what is bet, then the person who last bet loses one die and we start a new roll. If there's enough dice with that face value to cover the bet, then the one who called loses one die. You can also call the bet spot on and if you win, both other players lose a die. Whoever is last to have any dice wins some drinks out of the skin." It was an easy enough game, so the two ellon agreed readily and sat down to play.

[Edited on 13/1/2011 by Naucoaran]

Thank you for the edit, Naucoran..carry on.

[Edited on 14/1/2011 by BerethEdhellen]
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2011 09:49
Lindir, after a cool but quiet night, lay at the top of the rock mound and watched the distant tundra. He had fallen asleep for several hours and though he cursed himself for it the rest had done him some good. The clouds that covered them through the bright northern night had parted and now the sun bathed the lands in it’s full glory and warmth, as if it was made to order. Idhren dozed a few feet below the rim of the mound but snapped awake as soon as they both heard the sound. Off in the distance, several leagues at least, they heard the sound of two horns bellowing. During the night, what little darkness there was, was cloudy and that allowed the orcs to travel further through the low light hours.

“Well they have finally arrived just as Anterion predicted.” Lindir commented. “They’ve found their friends and now they’re out for blood vengeance and the stone. I don’t think they’d risk travelling under this sun even if their masters had decreed they must.” He turned to Idhren. “They’ll have made camp while the sun is at its zenith and through the afternoon, no doubt feeding on their fallen comrades. Vile creatures, but creatures of habit. They’ll be following the trail in a few hours but not too quickly in this weather. I hope the others made the village yesterday and delivered the warning.”

Idhren commented that Adûn and the others were more than a day and a half ahead.

“Don’t worry they’ll have made by now.” She said taking his hand. “And what if the orc captain sends a party to scout out here?”

“Well we’ve at least six hours before they arrive if they can maintain their top speed.” He turned and looked back at the land which now seemed much closer. “We could put another league between us and the headland. That way we’ll know if they’re serious about searching the whole peninsula. We’ll know then whether or not we have to swim for it and send the stone back to the bottom. It all depends on how many they send out here. I’m sure they’ll feel the sting of your bow should they wander to close.” He held her hand and kissed her lightly on her cheek. “I’m glad you came back.”

Lindir dug up the stone and gave it to Idhren. Slowly, stooped low they made their way along the rocks staying behind any rise and ensuring that no trail was left. When they had covered another league they made for themselves a small camp ringed with rocks to cut the wind which blew all the stronger out this far. The wind swung round briefly to the west and again carried the sound of a orc horn. The orcs were rallying and would soon leave their camp but they tarried over an hour longer than Lindir expected in the shadows away from the sun. This gave even more time for Adûn to rally the villagers if the others had not yet arrived. All they could do was watch and wait.

[Edited on 18/1/2011 by Fennuir]
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2011 01:48
Nerrivik, Burodan, and Adûn walked into the village, the two Lossoth making whispered comments to each other about how empty it seemed. They began to grow worried but Adûn assured them that if the orcs had come back, the buildings would not be standing, and there would be no one there at all. The logic seemed to satisfy the two as they made their way farther into the village.

Word had spread ahead of them that more visitors had come, and soon enough Delia was standing in the middle of their path, arms folded over her chest. Behind Adûn, the two Lossoth seemed to grow smaller in stature, each trying a little harder to hide behind the ranger's frame. "You two are more foolish than a seal's pup!" her outburst made the ranger hesitant to move any closer to the woman, but it seemed that her ire was focused fully on the two men behind him. "I should dunk you both into the sea, maybe it will put some sense into you." she turned to Adûn then and sighed.

"Thank you for bringing them back in one piece. You weren't with the three that came in a few days ago, I remember you though. I assume you were with the other elves then, who did not go to rescue the captives." there was an edge of bitterness in her tone, but she hid it well and Adûn was too shocked from hearing of the others to care.

"They're alive? And came here? So they were successful then. Where are they now?" Delia patted the air to calm his questions. "All in good time. Come, dine with us this night and rest your bones. You look tired." Adûn was tired, and weary from being trapped in a cave for weeks without any proper rest. Grudgingly he agreed when she refused to answer any of his questions till he was fed something warm and served some strong tea. After they had eaten, the woman explained to him how the three elves had walked into their camp several days ago haggard looking but alive with two rescued men. They then convinced the elders to grant them an army and marched out the next morning.

Adûn sat silently through the story, sipping his tea now and again as he waited for her to finish. It certainly explained why the village had been next to empty, but not why the orcs had taunted them with their companion’s belongings. He then explained to her the impending army of orcs that were gathering and advised that the tribe flee farther south.

"I thank you for your hospitality, but I must be going to catch up to them. I need to bring news to the others of Lindir and his burden." The women nodded, knowing the urgency he required but still insisted that he stay the night to recover from the journey so far.

"A single man can outpace an army. Large groups move slow. You can spare one more night, it wouldn't be proper for us to send you out only to die before you reach your friends because we did not take care of you properly." Adûn tried to resist but the woman was use to having her way, and eventually convinced him to stay the whole night.

In the morning the elders had prepared for him new supplies and topped off all his reserves of food and water. Adûn expressed his gratitude at the gifts, and after packing everything up, began on his way. The army was a few days ahead of him, but if he pushed hard enough, he could catch up within two days at most. Burodan and Nerrivik joined him as he set out, Burodan sulking in the back. After everyone had been settled in, Delia had confronted the man alone in his tent and told him of his father's death.

Not one to openly show weakness, he seemed to take the news numbly but during the night Adûn had heard quiet sobs from the man's tent. He almost offered to stay another day for his sake, but they did not have the time to spare. He hoped that he would still be functional, and that the news would not hit Burodan too hard for him to keep going.

[Edited on 19/1/2011 by Naucoaran]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2011 06:39
Mithennor was in unusually high spirits, which was usually followed by a bit of playful recklessness. The last dice game they had played, she had done rather well and she missed the feeling of easy camaraderie. Oddly, she looked back at the night at the camp of the dunedain fondly, minus the orc raid.

The game progressed fairly predictably with regards towards Mithennor taking the lead, but Thane was doing surprisingly well and even manged to call her on a few turns. Sirion had become decidedly less enthused as it progressed, and seemed to be very grateful that no additional wagers were being made.

Thane was noticing his lack of enthusiasm, encouraged by the fact that he still had three dice, only one behind Mithennor, and Sirion was doing decidedly worse then that.

“I call four fours.”
Thane looked up, a calculating look on his face, followed by a shrewd one, ultimately replaced with a grin-

“Bluff” they lifted the cups. Three fours showed their dotted faces amongst the other values. His face was triumphant as Mithennor cast him a mostly good natured dirty look while adding one of her die to the discard pile.

“Odds are evening up now, aren’t they Mithy?” She hated that nickname. Coming from Thane, it was about as affectionate as he was ever likely to be, other than saving her life. She discarded the kiss on the hand when they were still in Imladris.

“Alright then” a more determined half smile on her face “next roll” The cups went down.
“Call” She tried to push the hair in her eyes behind her ears, but it slid out again, being too short to stay put.

The game came to a raucous close, there was a close call when one of the dice tipped over as the cup was being lifted off. It would have been in Mithennor’s favor, but they turned to Sirion as an ‘impartial’ judge. After pleading their cases, which consisted primarily of outlandish bribery and flattery and promises that would have been near impossible to fulfill, Thane won the call, and the game.

She got up stiffly and walked over to her bag and pulled out a wineskin. She took a swig, it was the unsweetened tea. She shuddered and took another swallow.
“not that one, then” she muttered. She had an evil idea of handing the unsweetened tea to Thane, but thought that too cruel.

The next one was the wine. He looked ready to down the whole thing tonight. He could not be hung over tomorrow, and he would likely need the wine later on as well. She held on to the skin, aware of her movements being watched. She moved carefully, trying to not give the appearance of still being hurt. She found a goblet and filled it partway up. She stoppered it and replaced it in her bag.

“Here Thane, as promised” she approached him and held it out with a smile.
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2011 08:00
To Burodan’s surprise Delia had allowed him back into his own hut that night. He remembered how furious she had been at his departure and if he knew anything about women, it was that their anger did not dissipate in any way over time. It confused him even more when she scolded him for trying to sleep in the front room near his sons instead of in his own bed with her. Delia was a hard woman, and Burodan often forgot that her antics were out of need and not due to nature. He entered their room at her request and found the little woman sitting quietly with a solemn look on her face. Immediately the tribesman raced into a fury of mumbled sweet nothings and pet names, throwing how much he had missed her into the end of it all; for indeed he had. Delia said nothing, and softly patted the spot next to her invitingly as a single tear ran down her cheek.

---

On the road the next day, Burodan felt as if his very soul had been shattered. He wasn’t sure what kept his feet moving when every part of his body wanted to lie down and sulk.

“You’re going to wear holes in the tops of your boots if you keep dragging your feet like that.” Nerrivik spoke in feeble jest, trying to bring his cousin’s thoughts back to the land of the living. His uncle’s parting had impacted the whole village, himself included, but he realized that Arpenien and Burodan had not parted on the best of terms. Nerrivik could not find any words of comfort for his cousin and it concerned him. He needed Burodan alert and at his best in the days to come, and this was obviously not going to happen if the tribesman’s mind was stuck in the past.

Either Burodan did not hear Nerrivik, or he did not care to reply.

A few days passed before the lossoth’s makeshift army was spotted on the horizon. Despite Adun’s obvious excitement, Burodan and Nerrivik silently harbored mixed feelings about seeing their kinsmen readying for war.

((Lets just speed this along a bit. Sorry its short. Sorry it took so long.))
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2011 09:34
“It looks as though they have arrived." Lindir commented. "The game begins."

“So it begins.” Idhren said sounding resolute and echoing Lindir's comment.

Watching what was happening and the numbers involved was difficult from a distance of nearly two leagues but is was enough to see them and know they were there. There was nothing more that could be done and by moving out further now they would risk being seen.

Nothing happened though. It looked as if they were going to make camp because they did nothing more than mill about and fight amongst themselves. Their captain, a larger uruk named Pugdush, would whip them until they were finally pulled apart by the others. One of them began walking, only a furlong though, out onto the peninsula and remained there for several minutes staring out. He then relieved himself and returned to the others. They remained there from the late afternoon through the night and till noon the following day when the clouds rolled in from the west.

An orc horn sounded in the distance and a reply was given by the Pugdush. A equally large company, of about 40, could be seen running along the shoreline from the north. The company had split with one group swinging north and the other taking the direct route to the seashore.

“Any trace of the pale rats?” Pugdush asked the lead uruk of the second group Gragar.
“Nothing. No one’s been that way for months.” Gragar reported

Pugdush then filled in Gragar. “We found a trail a league back going south.” Three of them, same three was left the trail from da ills. Walkin, ain’t in no hurry either, no elf trash, all men. Elves musta gone further south like I’z said when we lost the trail. Theyz wents back to the camp wez sacked, where else would they takes those northern cows.” He turned and began shouting orders for both companies to form up, they were heading south. An orc but not a small one approach the captain while the others were still forming up.

“I got a bit of a sniff of somethin captn, yesterday on the wind like. Came from out there but only a bit.”

Pugdush grabbed him by the neck and dragged him forward. “Youz tellin me now you piece ah crap. All this time wez been sittin ere and youz got a bit of a sniff yesterday. What was it then, or let me guess... elf.” He pushed the tip of his knife against the orcs throat. “No signs of elfs but youz were smellin, all over them hills, youz were smellin them on the trail and nowz youz smellin them again? I’ll shove a bleeding elf up your backside next time wez seez one.” He threw him to the ground and selected five others from the group and took them aside. “You lot cn thank im and his sniffer for this. Youz head all the wayz out and seez if is sniffer is right. If it ain’t... gut him. I’ve ad my fill of his sniffin.” Hatred fill his face.

The orcs showed a great reluctance to venture out onto the peninsula with the sea seeming to be so close on either side of them. They were driven forward by the whips of their captains and with threats to their lives if they didn’t cover every inch of the long peninsula.

“And ifs youz don’t search to the end I’ll knows it and I’ll gut youz all meself and feed you to the lads.” A roar of laughter went up as the whips were again used to drive them on until they scurried ahead to out run the sting of the lash.

[Edited on 21/1/2011 by Fennuir]
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2011 04:42
((One of these days I will find an acceptable post length. Until then: This post was brought to you by the combined efforts of Carandra and myself.))

One of the lossoth entered the tent and requested Sirion’s presence outside. There was little time to prepare by day, so the tribesmen spent much of the night readying to face the orcs. This night they worked on leather armor, adapting their clothing in any way that might turn an orc spear. Sirion, a little sore from his loss, left the tent willingly, leaving Thane to stare down the remaining elleth.

Thane spoke quietly once Sirion was out of earshot. “Mith,” he said calmly, purposefully leaving out his pet name for her. “Do you not trust me?”

She looked up at the question and gave it thought... She did in all things but one; the wineskin came to her thoughts. "I do" she answered slowly. "You came for me, when most others would have left me to the yrch, but....why do you ask?"

“Admittedly this wine is wasted on me. I cannot appreciate its quality for what it is. But that is hardly the point. We played Sirion’s game for the wine. It has been a long day and I am thirsty. Leave the wineskin out. I will put it back.”

She stared at him, taken aback slightly, after a question like that; she had been expecting something... else, though she had no idea what. “Why? There may be a fair amount, all things considered, but why not ration it? You’ll undoubtedly...” she searched for another word, but none came to mind “need it ere we reach the battle, or if not then, then afterwards, to toast to your victory” She tried to keep it somewhat light, but there was some level of severity in his voice that was surprising. What she wouldn’t say was that she was afraid he’d drink the rest tonight, be ill tomorrow and then have need of the drink later, but not have it to steady his nerves.

“Then join me, good lady,” Thane said, his tone a mix between playful and desperate. He knew well enough what others thought of his habit, Sirion had kindly pointed it out quite recently. Because of this, the ellon also knew why Mithennor was reluctant to hand over the wineskin. “Dorwinion wine is hard to come by even in the eastern parts of the world. Surely our newfound army merits celebration!” He came to sit down beside the elleth, throwing a casual arm around her shoulder and swirling the goblet of wine before her, allowing the scent to waft towards them both.

Her resolve wavered a bit... originally she had been planning on doleling it out in small amounts as need dictated and then letting him have the rest after. She looked up at his face, his eyes. There was a bit more deperation there than she had planned on.

“Fine. But you’re not getting any additional wine in your goblet” she had moved across the small tent and retrieved the skin and another goblet, which she filled a bit more than his. He started to protest, his temper nearing the surface; “However, minus a sip, you may have my share” She sat down on one of the cushions and patted the one next to her, she cracked a small smile “Negotiations for additional wine after that may be considered.”

Thane held his hands out before him as a sign of peace. He had known wanderers before meeting Mithennor, and had found them all to be flighty creatures. Negotiations with any of them were always a delicate process. He would have to be patient and unfortunately for Thane, this was a virtue he lacked. It showed clearly in his face as he fought to control his temper. He accepted his share willingly and tried to drink slowly. Mithennor took a sip of her goblet and set it in front of Thane. He shook his head. “No lady, that is yours,” he nearly bit his tongue as the words came out. “Tell me now, how are you faring?” the ellon’s eyes traveled to the scar starting at her ankle, and it took every ounce of willpower he had to not look away too quickly. He knew it bothered her when he did.

She felt her eyebrow arch at Thane’s refusal of her wine, but she took it back and sipped it again; it was very good. She felt his gaze, but when she looked up to meet his eyes, they had traveled down and rested at the exposed portion of her new scar. As much as she hated it when he used to avoid looking at her completly, he seemed to be forcing himself to look at it.

“I never blamed you, you know” He looked up quickly, thankfully. “You don’t have to force yourself to look; what I hated” she set down the goblet and turned to face him more directly “was your utter refusal to look at me at all... and the look of torment when you did.” She took another sip of wine to give herself an excuse to stop talking. “But I’m faring better than before. My leg is healing better than before we visited the village, and my ribs are still sore, but healing or so they told me. How are you faring, Thane?”

Life would be easier with that wineskin, Thane thought, and wisely kept his comments to himself. “Better now that we are on the road again. I must admit to guilt, though.” He said softly, his tone now bordering sorrow. “The lossoth are a simple people, but I find I enjoy their culture. Or at least what little I have experienced of it. I know it is fitting that they fight for their survival, rather than relying on the elves to do it… but I” he struggled to find the right words. “I only hope that I… that we, will not be held accountable for their destruction. We are the ones leading their march after all.”

Thane shrugged. There was a look on the elleth’s face that was either pity or disbelief. He wasn’t entirely sure how he could confuse the two. The ellon decided to go with pity and hoped that some good could come of it. He finished his goblet and tilted it toward her as if expecting it to be refilled. When she didn’t make a move he uttered a soft chuckle, part of it was filled with mirth while the other was frustration. Thane moved to sit in front of Mithennor, leaving his goblet behind, and took both of her hands in his. “Is it not cruel to enter negotiations with a beggar?” he sighed and lifted each hand to his lips in the same fashion that had been shown at their meeting. “Another drink, I beg you, and then I will try my best to leave you in peace.” He mumbled quietly into her fingertips, the reality of his nightmares showing plainly in his eyes.

She faltered. She knew of his dreams, traveling with him it was impossible not to. She had dreams of her own now.... pokers, whips, knives, and orcs... She took her hand out of his, tucked a strand of his hair back behind his ear, and did the same to the hair that had fallen into her eyes. She leaned back, carefully, and grabbed her bag, tugging out two of the skins; the wineskin and one of the ones with tea. She refilled his goblet with the wine, and hers with the tea. It was the unsweetened tea and she made a face as she swallowed it. Thane took his goblet back and made one big gulp and then made an effort to drink the rest slowly.

She studied him, prolonging the moment before she drank some more tea. Despite traveling with him for months, she knew him the least. Seemingly selfish, but there were moments when that seemed to be the furthest from the truth. The scent of wine in the air, she took a sip from her goblet without thinking of it and nearly spat it out. Thane looked at her, raising an eyebrow, absorbed in his own thoughts, such that they were. “How did you lose your little finger?”

He looked down at the useless nub of a digit on his right hand. “Suffice it to say that I have also spent my time in the custody of orcs and was lucky enough to make it out alive. Unlike you, there was a jailbreak planned before too much damage had been done.” It was one of the reasons seeing Mithennor in that torture chamber had affected the ellon so dramatically.

He finished his goblet and let go of her remaining hand, a little embarrassed of his forced humility. The ellon dropped her gaze, partially ashamed. “Thank you.” Thane stood and turned to leave, knowing he would surely be tempted if he remained in the tent.

As Thane let her hand go, he rose to leave the tent. Mithennor stayed seated, but caught his hand on his way out. Hearing about his own time with the orcs brought a little more understanding, not quite pity; perhaps empathy.

“Do those dreams ever leave you?” She looked up at him, voice neutral. She had understood, in a vague, detatched, manner why he drank before this revelation, but it had seemed that it had ceased to be a crutch and more of just an addiction. Her own dreams were starting to become more of a problem; she couldn’t sleep the whole night through and she felt worn the next day. She did not want to need something the way Thane did. Nor did she desire the haunted look he bore when he first woke up.

He did not want to stay, his eyes flicking to the wine before back to her face. She let go of his hand, carefully pushing herself up to standing. “Never mind, your thoughts are your own. I don’t mean to detain you further if you don’t wish it.”

Thane shook his head. “They are fleeting,” was all he had to offer, as if his time with the orcs was not the underlying threat in his dreams.

~~~

Days later Adun rejoined the trio, and with him came Nerrrivik and Burodan. Upon meeting Sirion, Mithennor and Thane, Burodan grumbled briefly about the wrath of his wife. The three travelers were clothed in his personal attire! He had no remaining energy to complain, though, and said nothing further about the matter.

Nerrivik and Burodan were both happy to be reunited with their kinsmen again, and their meeting even seemed to lessen the tribesmen’s grief. Their joy last for only a short time, stemmed by the horrifying truth that they were only days away from the orcs. They could only hope that Lindir and Idhrenniel had managed to stay safe without the company of their friends.

[Edited on 25/1/2011 by Ohtariel]
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2011 06:32
After things settled down in camp, Adûn gathered inside the elves tent and began to detail all that had happened after the group had split up. The final few days before Adûn's departure were the most serious cause for concern. Lindir and Idhren alone stood with the Palantir, a force of orcs just as big if not bigger than their own army stood in-between them. What was worse, was that Lindir had been poisoned and needed healing, something that could not be provided before they left. He was holding on, elves were always resilient, but he couldn't last forever. Nerrivik had been able to get the proper medicine while at the tribes, but they needed to get it to him soon. The ranger feared that at the pace the army moved, and the coming battle would be too slow.

"We need to form a small group to bypass the orcs. We four along with Nerrivik would be able to stay concealed the easiest, but I am concerned with removing all the leaders from this force you have amassed." there was a touch of surprise in his voice; he was still a little unsure how they had convinced the Lossoth to form a war band. "However, I believe Burodan can suffice as a temporary replacement for you. He isn't skilled with leading an army but he was born to lead a tribe." There was a few moments pause before he spoke again. "I have given you much to think about. You can find me outside; my tent will not be far. I intend to leave early tomorrow with Nerrivik. Should you three decide to accompany us, we will be leaving early tomorrow. I'll take my leave."

He stood a little hesitantly, glancing around the table and weighing his options. The increased chance of being detected with five people opposed to two was negligible, but having three more able-bodied fighters was an asset if they encountered a rogue band of orcs. The ranger hoped for the extra bodies, but planned the journey for two. Planning for the worse meant any surprises were good ones.

In the morning Adûn was greeted by Nerrivik, Burodan, and the three elves, though Thane was not packed and prepared to travel. They explained to the ranger that while Burodan may be born to lead a tribe, he was not able to lead the force. The elves had worked hard to secure the army, and for all of them to leave it would seem like they had abandoned the Lossoth. Thane was not entierly pleased with being left behind, but the ellon had a duty they could not afford to shirk. An announcement was made to the men that the other elves would be leaving for a few days, though many details were left out to ensure that word would not spread what they had intended.

"We should not tarry, I will show you the fastest way to where we last parted company. It may take a day or two." There was grim determination in each of their faces. Turning to lead, the ranger set out at a swift pace, not bothering to look back. The elves could outpace him, he had no worries that they could keep up. Nerrivik was the only one that could slow them down, but he was freshly rested for the moment. Behind Adûn was Nerrivik followed by Mithennor and finally Sirion in the back watching their trail as much as keeping an eye on the party in front of them.

[Edited on 9/2/2011 by Naucoaran]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2011 04:42
A thought occurred to her soon as it was realized that Thane would stay behind. She weighed it and tossed it back and forth in her mind before finally making a decision. Her bag was packed, such that it was. Sirion, Thane, and the others were conferring one last time before departing. She stood back while the others said goodbye. She walked up to Thane, and pushed the wineskin into his arms. She laid her hand on his cheek for a moment, their eyes meeting for a moment before she turned on her heel and followed the others on the journey.

She had missed running on her own power, the ground beneath her feet, her heart keeping time with her breath... mostly. Everything wasn’t fully healed, but close enough for her to decline the help the Sirion had offered. The miles flew by, they only had to stop to rest twice for Adûn and Nerrivik to catch their breath. When they did make camp that night, they were miles from the army, and hopefully not too far away from where Lindir and Idhren were. It had been a fairly quiet day, the clouds obscuring the sun until it dipped below the horizon for a brief night. She settled herself down between Adûn and Sirion, stretching herself out. Watches were set, Mithennor to relieve Sirion after a few hours, with Adûn on first watch.

The wind howled, and the clouds rolled against the sky as bedrolls were laid down. It was going to be a long night.

Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2011 07:42
After his friends left, Burodan and one of the officers Sirion had chosen came to share Thane’s tent. The ellon would have been fine alone, but he welcomed the newcomers just the same.

Similar to his wife’s original impression, it was clear that Burodan was not Thane’s biggest fan. Delia had taken some time to warm up to the ellon, and so Thane kept to himself and decided to bide his time with the easily irritated tribesman. Personally the half elf felt he had done enough for the lossoth, and running around trying to win the new chieftain’s vote of popularity was not something he would worry over. By day Thane and the lossoth marched at a grueling pace, trying to keep in time with the agenda set by their second party. The day Sirion and Mithennor left, Thane had sent out a scouting party ahead of their army. It worried him greatly that they had not yet returned.

His orders hadn’t been any more specific than basic training tasks. What could possibly be taking them so long? The young lossoth tribesman who Thane and Burodan were sharing a tent with pinned it down to nerves. They had both taken notice how on edge the ellon was once his friends left. Luckily for Thane, neither man knew how out of character this particular behavior was for him.

That night as the three men sat around in their tent eating and stretching their road weary muscles, Burodan made an effort to understand Thane’s logic.

“What happens if they do not return?” the tribesman queried, referring to their scouting party that was now three days late.

“Then we find some place defensible and wait.” Thane grumbled. “Preferably somewhere between the orcs and Lindir with his cursed cargo… hopefully giving everyone enough time to run.”

“Wait? Elf, I have spent enough time waiting on you and your friends. I would appreciate it if you at least pretended to care about my people.”

Thane glared at Burodan. “It is not your lack of gratitude that bothers me. It is simply that you forget who has been taking care of your tribe while you cowered in a cave.”

The third tribesman in the room suddenly jumped between the two. He had known from the start that Burodan and Thane possessed similar personalities and were bound to buttheads sooner or later.

The half elf reached into his pack and sipped at the wineskin Mithennor had left him, trying to calm his nerves. He preferred this exit to a verbal apology.

It took a little convincing for Burodan to drop the argument. In his own fashion he tried for the second time that night to get along with the ellon. He threw a cup at Thane, indicating that the half elf should share. Thane sat with his back turned and ignored the request.

“The markings on that wineskin are that of my house. I wonder now who gave it to you.”

“She called it a gift for persuading your elders to allow an act of war… or perhaps to allow the rescue of her husband.”

Burodan sighed, he hadn’t meant to pick a fight with the elf. The tribesman was simply not fond of the ellon. “Delia is set in her ways, but it has always turned out for the better. I am sure your woman is no less wonderful.”

Thane choked on the wine.

Burodan poured himself a drink while Thane stood to go cough in the corner. The tribesman smiled to himself as he watched the elf. “You two seemed to share quite a tender moment at your parting, I am sorry I assumed anything. I was told the elves were particular about affection.”

“We are not involved.”

The tribesman chuckled quietly to himself in disbelief, but wisely said nothing.

Thane found Burodan’s lack of a retort more infuriating than anything he might have said regarding Mithennor. “Women do not respond to misery… at least not the ones I know.”

“Then perhaps she does not see you as miserable.” Burodan was enjoying his newfound ability to get underneath the elf’s skin.

Thane locked eyes with Burodan for a moment, trying to figure out how their conversation took this turn. From the edge of camp a single horn broke the silence, indicating the return of their scouting party. Burodan stood and held back the tent flap with a wry smile so Thane could walk through.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2011 10:05
“You piece of Mordor dung. Always sniffling, always talkin of smelling elves but never findin hide nor air. We should kills you and be done with it. The salt, it stings the eyes and the water always reaching for us trying to pulls us in.” The orcs draws his knife. “Feed ya to the water and tells the captin we sees no elves so we kilt you. What do you think boys?”

The others howled in agreement. They would have agreed to anything that would keep them off the peninsula. But the Mordor orc, Uglar, knowing how to survive in Mordor was a quicker thinker. He drew his blade and was ready.

“You bloody stupid Carn Dum cows.” He laughed loudly. “You’ll be slaughtered cows you’ll be if you lay a finger on me. The great eye.” He hissed as he pointed his dagger to the front of his tunic. “The one all seeing eye of lord Sauron can see you even now. Lay a hand on me and you’ll see what lays beyond the Black Gates of Mordor. You’ll be dragged there in chains like slaves, then slaughtered and fed to the orcs of Mordor, just like the cows you be. I says there be elves here and we will search or you’ll be reported.” He stood his ground and glared at them.

His rouse worked. Having never been in Mordor they couldn’t be sure one way or another. Uglar wearing his Mordor armour with the all seeing great eye emblazoned on the front made the others even more uncomfortable. There was hatred in their eyes but nothing more was said. They began a half hearted search never wandering to close to the water and never being too hasty to get over the mounds of rock.

------------------

Idhren and Lindir watched as the orcs took a protracted length of time going from mound to mound. Watching the almost comical drama the two elves began to doubt if the orcs would even come close to completing their task before their own fears would defeated them. The sharp eyes of the elves were able to pick out the difference in the orc battle dress. It quickly became evident that there was a regular timed curious bit of behaviour from the orcs. Two orcs armed with bow would come to the top of a mound and then kneel there while the Mordor orc sniffed the air. Both elves knew immediately what was happening and with the wind from their back they were helpless to do anything for the moment.

The sky began to darken with heavy clouds and the waves grew larger as a strong wind came in from the West. The orcs looked nervously at the heavy surf as it crashed onto the shore line and came ever closer.

“It’s fingers reaches for us, we cannot go on.” One of the northern orcs who had never seen the ocean cried.

One of the of the other orcs shouted something in black speech and gave the other a heavy push and nothing more was said.

When the orcs were momentarily out of sight behind a mound Lindir recalled a tale he once heard. He quickly removed one of his boots and tossed it over to the next mound not far from the waters reach. He and Idhren then laid a plan. The darkness was welcomed by the elves for when the orcs were near to them and once again behind a mound they quickly slipped into the heavy surf with Lindir holding the Palantir wrapped in cloth. The water was cold but it didn’t trouble them and the heavy surf hid them well.

The Mordor orc howled and crowed when he found Lindir’s boot. He held it high and bragged about his ability to smell out a old lone elven boot and that Pugdush would have to show him more respect. He sniffed the air and assured the others that this was indeed what he had smelled and that there was nothing beyond this point. The boot must have been washed up he told the others and that was well enough for their liking. The orcs now moved with a quick step as they made their way toward the mainland.

The orcs would all return to their company with boot in hand sure that there were no elves on that dammed spit of land and oh how they howled in triumph.

Soaked, but pleased with the outcome, Idhren and Lindir lay on the backside of a stone mound and tried to shelter from the biting wind. Without warning Idhren rolled over and gave Lindir a long kiss.

“You’ve lost your boot.” She said teasing him as she looked down on him. “Now that wasn’t very smart.”

“So it would seem." Lindir replied in a like manner. "I’ll get a pair from the Lossoth though I can’t see running in them.

“I can do better than that.” She said with a giggle as she snuggled into him. “Sirion has a second pair in his pack.”

“Have you seen the size of his feet? I’d lose myself in them.” Lindir teased.

“He hasn’t shrunk them yet. His loss your gain. Beside it will teach him to always prepare his spare boots before he leaves on a campaign. Think of it as sparing him the grief.” Idhren giggled.

“I think I’ll take a pair of Lossoth boots... but thank you anyway my dear.” Lindir gave a heartfelt laugh.

It took most of the a day before the storm blew through but eventually the sun came out and warmed the chilled air. With the orcs now several hours ahead of them Idhren and Lindir made their way back. They made a small camp, but no fire, two furlongs from the mainland and settled in to wait for their friends or the orcs return.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2011 07:10
Adûn trotted out of the low fire's radius and crouched down by a pile of boulders. Shifting his cloak so that it covered his front more, he settled down into the rocks to wait, quiet and still as a shadow. The wind was cold and clean, he took deep breaths to soak it in. The moon had been hidden by cloud cover, so the night was dark enough to conceal anything that moved too far out. Still, he was confident that he would see anything long before they were upon the group. Soon enough the camps low fire was extinguish and Adûn was left in the utter darkness, his eyes slowly adjusting to having no light.

Back at the camp, Sirion was wrapping his spare coat around his hands to lift some hot rocks from the fire and lay them in a line on the ground. He covered the stones with a blanket to keep them from touching bare flesh and then lay down. Mithennor was next to him, and he had intended to share the warmth of the rocks with her but realized that the sleeping rolls were too separated to effectively share the stones. He gave her a sheepish smile and fumbled over how best to explain that she should lay closer before grabbing her bedroll with her on it and pulled it closer to lay abreast his. "It doesn't work otherwise." he said with one of his grins.

Mithennor was still getting settled as Sirion kicked out the ashes to the fire and spread the coals to stop the glowing beacon in the lightless night. By the time he made it back to his bedroll Mithennor had settled down already. He picked his way gingerly to his place, hoping that he had studied the layout of the camp well enough before dousing them in darkness. He ended up with his back pressed against hers, his face felt warm at that thought but he attributed it to having his face in the fire for the past few minutes getting the stones ready.

It was oddly comforting, having her there. He had gotten use to being close to her when he had taken it upon himself to care for her on their trip out of Carn Dum. During those nights and days it seemed as if he had always been carrying her or tending to her in the night. The stones seemed o be doing their work, their backs were quite warm now and the heat radiated out to their limbs to keep them comfortable even in the bitter wind. Sirion drifted to sleep, knowing he would be next on watch and wanting some rest before that time came.

It seemed that as soon as he had closed his eyes, Adûn was there to wake him for watch. He grumbled slightly at it, but struggled to rise without waking Mithennor. She was still propped against him, so he had to slowly roll away to let her down. He trotted stiffly out to where Adûn had been to take his watch as the ranger picked his way across camp to Nerrivik. The Lossoth had made a similar stone pile as the two elves, but without the second person to insulate the heat, it was not as warm as Sirion’s. Never one to complain, at least openly, Adûn settled down next to Nerrivik to share what dwindling heat was left and get what rest he could for the remaining night.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2011 05:58
Mithennor was a little surprised when Sirion pulled her bedroll over next to his, but she appreciated the idea. She hated the cold. When he made his way back to their bedrolls and got himself settled she moved as close as she could to him without making things awkward. They ended up back to back, leaning against each other for support and warmth. She drifted off to sleep, dreams greeting her. For the first time, most of her dreams were as they used to be- memories and meanderings that strayed to places she’d been and to her home. It was at some point that the dreams shifted back to the orc encampment and the pincers.

She woke up when the nightmare became too much. The blankets had become cold with Sirion’s absence, the stones having lost their warmth some time ago. The one thing she continued to be grateful for was that, unlike Thane, she atleast was silent when she dreamt. She probably had some time before it was her turn for the watch, but she wasn’t inclined to go back to sleep. Mithennor gathered up both her and Sirion’s blankets and headed over to where he was sitting. She approached him quietly, announcing herself by tossing his blanket on top of him before settling down next to him. Mithennor wrapped her own blanket around herself and leaned against him. He shifted to accommodate her.

“You’re watch isn’t for another hour.”
“I know, but I couldn’t sleep” She tried to tuck her hair behind her ears to keep it out of her face.
Sirion paused for a moment- “still having your dreams?”

Mithennor didn’t respond at first, ruffling her hand through her hair in frustration
“.... yes. But not all- at first it was as they used to be. It was a nice respite... but they came back” she let it drop at that. A few moments of quiet passed before a question came to her mind;
“What do you plan after we are finished here? What will be the first thing you make or mend once returned to your forge?”

The pair talked for a bit longer into the night until she noticed him stifle a yawn as she fought one back herself;
"Go back to sleep, Sirion, dawn will be here soon enough and then we have another full day of searching. Sleep well, dear friend, and dream better"

She watched as he returned to the campsite, and presumably to where his bedroll lay. She returned her gaze to the open stretch of land that lay before them. She hoped that they weren't going to be too late, that Lindir and Idhren were alright, she worried about Thane and the other Lossoth back at the camp where she had last seen them, and she worried about Sirion and the others that they now traveled with. She ran her hand through her hair again. She missed her hair, but there may be some upsides to having it be short.

(ooc: figured you could add in your half of the conversation and then we could be on our merry way)
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2011 06:52
“What do you plan after we are finished here? What will be the first thing you make or mend once returned to your forge?” Mithennor had asked, her voice was soft and quiet but magnified by the surrounding silence. He thought about it for a moment, and then smiled almost wearily, eyes slightly downcast.

"A piece of jewelry. A necklace or a bracelet maybe. Perhaps some rings. Something that won't be used as a weapon. I fear that I have seen more battle than I expected to. I knew there was going to be violence, death, and battling when we left. Finding one of the stones brings warfare to it. I was not ready for what we found, what we walked into." He glanced involuntarily at her hair, his hand unconsciously fingering the breeches she wore above the new scar on her leg. He seemed to realize what he was doing and quickly pulled the hand away, embarrassed.

Silence seemed to fall once more before they began talking once more, mostly of lighter things or better days. Time seemed to pass quickly, and soon she had sent him off to get what remaining rest he could. He settled down in his original spot, now cold, and drifted off to dreams of home.

Adûn woke him after what seemed like he had just closed his eyes, only two fingers of the sun showing above the horizon. Sirion yawned, his jaw cracking as he stretched the stiffness out of his limbs. Camp was packed soon after and the four on their way once more, eating a cold meal on the run. The next night was much of the same, though they did not share watch again. On the third night Mithennor had thrashed in her sleep enough to wake Sirion and tried unsuccessfully to assure him that it was all fine. He ended up wrapping an arm around her shoulders to comfort her till they both fell asleep again.

On the fourth day of the travel, Adûn had them slow their pace and keep a low profile, crawling on his belly over each hill to examine the other side until he was satisfied that there were no enemies in the area. It made the going slow, but proved to be worth it when they spotted a patrol of five warg riders in the next valley. Nerrivik voiced that they should avoid them while the elves stressed that they should eliminate them before they could cause any unforeseen harm.

The two elves and the Ranger unsung their bows and fitted arrows and then took down the small patrol group in two volleys. Adûn was able to shoot three arrows to the elves two with his compact bow, but even though the range was not as great, his shots were no less true. Each orc and canine mount was put down before they even came close to the group. They encountered only one more group in that day and dealt with it in an even easier method, the orcs not being mounted and relaxed. They were getting close to the main group.

In the twilight hours Adûn crested one hill and almost immediately backed back down, careful not to rise higher than the ridgeline. "The main force of our enemy is a league over that hill, firmly encamped but still mobile. When I had split parties with Lindir, we were an hour east of here. He had plans to head for the coast, we should as well. If we hurry and are not hampered by any more patrols we should make it there by morning. There will be no rest tonight, we keep moving." His voice was calm and cold; Sirion thought that Adûn and the northern lands deserved each other at that moment.

The Ranger loosened the large sword that hung at his belt in its scabbard, the others did the same and Nerrivik wrung his hands around the haft of his spear. True to the Ranger's word, the smell of brine started to permeate the air an hour before they reached the jagged rocks and ice flows of the coast. They turned north to follow coastline, looking for any signs that might mean two elves in hiding. Dawn came, casting fire across the sky and blanketing the group in dim red light. The air felt like ice this close to the coast, needles prickling their skin with the ocean mist.

It turned out that they didn't need a trail to follow, because Idhren and Lindir saw them first, spotting the four bodies moving up the coast line and noticing they were not orcs. "Mithennor, Sirion, is that you?" Idhren called out suddenly and the four stopped, readying weapons before they realized who had called them. Warm greetings were shared but worry was etched on the elleth’s face. She led them to where Lindir was nestled in hiding. His skin was dull, and cheeks were slightly hollowed. He was still holding on, but even his renewed vigor had begun to wear off and his strength waning from the insidious poison working through him. He should have been dead by now had there been no intervention.

Nerrivik rushed in, pulling out the filled wineskin and helped Lindir drink the medicinal compound inside. The Lossoth had the compounds in his pack to brew more, and it was fortunate that he did as they realized that the one dose might not be enough with Lindir in his current state. He already seemed renewed though after the first administration, his face seeming more full and flush. Sirion and Lindir clasped forearms, shaking firmly and nodding to each other, each staring onto the others eyes. Adûn took the man’s arm as well, though did not share any meaningful looks. He had a mission to do, and he had fulfilled it, simple as that.

"Things are not well, Lindir. The enemy has amassed in force, and their camp is near. I would not risk moving you today, but tomorrow we will need to be on our way regardless of how well you have recovered by then. Thane has rallied the Lossoth to form an army and marches.." Sirion went on detailing all that had happened after they had split up, recounting with some difficulty their trials in Carn Dum and the aftermath.

After Lindir and Idhren were caught up the group was able to settle down from their whole day and night travel, catching up on some well-earned rest. They would not show it openly, but the final stretch of the journey had taxed all of them hard, with the tension of sneaking by an army of orcs and the physical exertion needed to reach their current location.

Sirion noticed Mithennor favoring her side, a little hunched. He made his way over to her to make sure her wound had not taken too much stress from the journey. Her ribs were fine, though he did learn that she had had to have them reset at the camp and that they were healing fine now. She had just become sore from the final stretch. Sirion even congratulated her on being able to keep the news from him with how attentive he had been to her. "I'll just have to keep a better eye on you from now on it seems." he joked and the two shared a laugh. There was little mirth outside them in the group, the news of the orc army weighing heavily on everyone’s hearts.

There was no fire that night, like every night Lindir and Idhren had spent on that shore, and the group all stayed close together as much for warmth as support that they weren't alone that night.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email