Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
Post From Under the Rising Sun (KEEP)
on: August 01, 2010 06:45
(My first attempt at starting a RP! Enjoy)

Baudhiel slipped between the trees and over rocks stealthly patrolling the border of Rivendell, keeping her senses alert for anything amiss in her surroundings. Such was the life of a border guard, she has been out on the border for a fortnight and was patiently waiting for the end of her rotation at the end of the next week.

So far her patrol has been uneventful besides seeing Lord Elronds twin sons pass through. Baudhiel admired the twins not because they were handsome, but because they were both very skilled and serious warriors like herself, and they can take a joke.

Baudhiel smirked as she looked back on when they passed through the border a few days ago, she was hiding in the trees when they passed by and she decided to mess with their minds and started tossing pinecones at them from every direction. When she was thoroughly pleased at their confusion she made the mistake of letting out a short chuckle alerting the twins to where she was hiding. She frowned now at the memory, Elrohir had incredibly good aim, and Baudhiel thought she was safe from the onslaught of pinecones he released.

Baudhiel paused and shook herself out of her memories, listening to her surroundings. Something was not right at the borders of Rivendell. She turned her head sharply to the right as she heard a loud cracking and thump hit the ground. Quickly Baudhiel had her bow in her hand with an arrow notched and she slipped into the shadows waiting.

More and more cracking and thumping came to her ears as they got louder and louder. Baudhiel was getting nervous hoping that the rest of her group wasn't too far behind. Soon, Baudhiel's opponent finally revealed itself to be a large cave troll smashing its way through the trees.

Baudhiels eyes widened. "What is a cave troll doing so far from the Trollshaws?!" she thought and she fired her first shot. The arrow hit the Troll in the shoulder gaining its attention, it wasn't the best of Baudhiels ideas but she was stalling time for her group to catch up to her and to keep the Troll from getting past the border.

Running from where she was standing she shot another arrow at the Troll making it follow her away from the border. Making sure she didn't use all of her arrows she threw a rock every now and then.

"Where is my group?!" she thought.

[Edited on 8/8/2010 by OraedaDlynn]

[Edited on 14/12/2011 by OraedaDlynn]
Arfaestnes
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: From Under the Rising Sun (KEEP)
on: August 10, 2010 09:58
Estonniel halted her stallion, Naheru and listened. The woods around Rivendell were so peaceful. It had been to long since she had ridden through these woods. Dismounting, Estonniel smiled, remembering what Elrohir had said of one of the border guards. Baudhiel, was the guard's name.

Quietly, Estonniel hummed an Elvish lullaby her mother had sung to her so long ago. Gently commanding Naheru to stay where he was, Estonniel walked a little ways to a small clearing. She drew her dagger, aimed carefully and let fly the small elven blade. Seconds after the knife had taken flight, it quivered in the ground, a leaf impaled on the silver blade. "Still sharp, that is good," Estonniel muttered to herself. Quickly, her long steps carried Estonniel to where the blade rested. Pulling it gently out of the ground, she wiped it clean and threw it a few more times; her aim was almost always perfect. When she was satisfied with her practice, Estonniel cleaned the silver dagger and slid it into the sheath at her hip.

Estonniel mounted Naheru again, but instead of turning him back toward Rivendell, she asked him to go farther into the trees. Without warning, Naheru's ears went up. They occasionally swiveled back to Estonniel, but mostly stayed straight and stiff. "Man ha, Naheru?" [What is it, Naheru] she asked the black stallion. Then she heard it.

Again, Estonniel dismounted, this time without making any sound. She could hear the cracking of branches and thumps off to her left. This time, Estonniel tied Naheru to a tree; she didn't want to find her only means of escape gone. Fingering the leather-bound handle of her dagger, strapping a quiver of arrows on her back, and stringing her bow, Estonniel crept off toward the sound.

What she saw was not at all what she had expected. A huge troll was crashing it's way through the forests of Rivendell. Elvish arrows buried in it's hide, the troll did not notice Estonniel. Swiftly, she loosed an arrow, aiming for it's heart. The arrow glanced off the troll's thick hide and fell to earth. Only then did Estonniel notice the border guard also loosing arrows at the troll.

Still firing on the troll, Estonniel crept closer to the border guard. When she reached the guard's side, Estonniel spoke in a low whisper. "Suil, sevig maur tulu? [Greetings, do you need help?]"
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2010 05:19
"Suil, sevig maur tulu? [Greetings, do you need help?]"

Baudhiel looked at the new comer briefly and recognised her as Estonniel. A friendly elleth that she never had the pleasure of getting to know.

"Yes, we need to bring this troll down, but my arrows are not doing any damage. Do you have any ideas?"

Baudhiel was hoping that together they can bring this beast down, and then report the strange occurance to Lord Elrond.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: August 15, 2010 07:56
Clang.

The sound of hammering metal reached the ears of passersby outside a small blacksmith shop in Bree. Smoke clogged the blacksmith's lungs, and he coughed, exhaling ash and coal particulates. But, he was almost finished with the sword! This had been his pride and joy. A local nobleman had requested this particular piece of finery. Made of steel, the blade sported two deep blood grooves and finely honed edges and tip. The cross-hilt was to be covered with leather straps with two blue sapphires on each side of the hilt. It was a beauty, to be sure, and the nobleman was paying a considerable sum.

Still coughing, Talfryn, the blacksmith, opened the shop's front door, and the smoke escaped in a black cloud. "Ach, Tally, have ye poot enough charcoal in yer fire!?" a passing man asked incredulously in the rough northern brogue. Laughing he poked his head in the door and grinned at his friend. "But it looks lek yer sword be almost done, eh?"

Talfryn cracked a rare smile. "Aye, 'tis. Sir Ganfryyd will be here on the morrow to see the progress. Just the hilt needs to be wound and the stones set, and the thing'll be finished. And about time too," he added, stepping out into the sunlight, wringing his hands with a damp cloth. Talfryn blinked his eyes against the bright sun.

His friend, Galen, chuckled at Talfryn's appearance. Ash covered every exposed part of his body. "Friend, ye coulda come from th'mines with yer face. But come, off ta th'tavern. First ale's on me."

After cleaning himself up somewhat, Talfryn and Galen went to the nearest alehouse, the Prancing Pony. They entered the cheerful-looking building and went to the bar, ordering two ales. The common room was full of the usual hodge podge of unique characters, Halflings, Men, even an elusive Elf here and there. Today, there were mostly Men, including some that had passed near Rivendell, home of the Elf-king Elrond. Talfryn caught snippets of a conversation from two men from just east of Bree. "It's been said that danger lurks and multiplies near the Trollshaws, according to my mother's cousin who lives in that area."

The other man, a portly fellow, sneered, "Yes, and your mother's cousin also saw a flying dragon nigh a year ago in the southern sky. By me oath, you tell fibs as long as your own nose!"

"'Tis the truth, I tell ye!"

Galen and Talfryn exchanged glances. Talfryn was due to head east in two days to bring nails, tools, and other goods to a small cluster of villages just shy of the mountains. In order to reach the villages, he would cross through the southern half of the Trollshaws. "Excuse me, sirs, but what are the rumours you were discussing?"

Eager to have an ear, the first man, a young lad of probably a score years, launched into his story. "I've heard tell that the trolls have increased their numbers and are moving."

"Are we in danger here in Bree?" Galen asked, furrowing his brow, blue eyes intent on the tousle-haired lad.

"I don't know, sir, but I can tell you that something is out there, even if it isn't the trolls. I passed by there not too long ago and had this feeling of foreboding. I did not see anything, but the feeling was there. And that"-he shot a glare at his companion-"is not something I'd lie about."

Talfryn thanked the two men and cast a concerned look at Galen. "Ach, I dinnae think ye should consider the trip, friend," Galen said.

"But, Galen, rumours are rumours..."

"Aye, but rumours have a base in fact..."

*~*~*~*~*

And two days later, Talfryn tied a packhorse to his wagon of goods and set out for the cluster of villages known as The Fold on the western border of the Misty Mountains. His leather boots stepped quietly along the road, his mutt Dale at his side. His horse, Eghlad, was tied to the back of the wagon, plodding along, ears alert.

It was to be hoped that those rumours were indeed just rumours...

(Note, The Fold is my own dramatic liberty. It does not actually exist within Tolkien's writings.)
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2010 01:46
Tholinnas rode his horse lazily, lolling with the motion of the animal. Eventually, he leaned back in the saddle, hands beneath his head, staring up at the sky above as he moved towards his destination; to relieve Baudhiel from her post.

He was a guard, had been for some time just as his father had been. He sat up again and stretched and as he did so, he became aware of something amiss...unless he missed his mark, there was a troll. But that surely couldn't be. He changed course to go around the other way, all his senses on alert. He slowly dismounted and approached Baudhiel, and the other elleth whom he didn't recognize by the back of the head.

Baudhiel looked up and acknowledged him with a nod as did the other elleth, whom he now recognized as Estonniel. After a quick whispered conference Tholinnas paused as he sat back on his heels and thought when an idea struck him:

"I do have my sword with me... it might be possible for me to drop down upon him from a tree and startle him enough to expose his throat, which should yield to a close volley from the two of you... what say you?"
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2010 03:13
"I do have my sword with me... it might be possible for me to drop down upon him from a tree and startle him enough to expose his throat, which should yield to a close volley from the two of you... what say you?"

Baudhiel nodded to Tholinass as he approached. He was a good friend and soldier and he couldn't come at a better time. Baudhiel kept a watch on the troll out of the corner of her eye, it was still trampling around in the same spot while they were conversing.

"Right, good idea Tholinass." Baudhiel looked around for a tree that was good enough for their attack.

"There," She pointed to a tree that had an overhang near the troll. "Climb that tree and wait for my signal."

She watched as Tholinass Climbed the tree and took out his sword, Baudhiel and Estonniel stood where they were and waited with their bows at the ready. Minutes flew by as they waited for the troll to reach underneath the overhang.

"Now!" Baudhiel called, she then watched as Tholinass dropped from the tree and she shot her arrow alongside Estonniel.

Arfaestnes
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2010 10:15
Estonniel loosed the green-fletched arrow just as Tholinass dropped from the trees. All she could do now was step aside and wait to see what would happen. She could not fire for fear of hitting Tholinass. Even though she could not use her bow, she still held it ready, in case Tholinass's plan went wrong. Estonniel stepped back, into the trees a short way. Her eyes followed the action.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2010 02:50
Tholinnas tensed and sprang from the tree, sword angled down. As he landed, he could feel it slide partway into the troll's neck; its hide too thick for any fatal blow in that manner. But it reeled and thrashed in an effort to knock him off; he did slip, but maintained a grip on his sword as not to fall in the range of the arrows that were now flying at the troll's exposed throat.

He managed to climb back on top and do more damage with his sword. After an intense few minutes of battle, the beast slumped forward and remained motionless. Tholinnas got up, yanked his sword out of the troll's neck and walked back over to the twp elleths.

"well... that was unexpected. Baudhiel, what did you do? I know you're angry at me, but calling a troll down from the trollshaws is a bit much. You could have dyed my hair a ghastly color again."

He tried to keep the tone light, but with the troll behind him, he felt it a moot effort.

(ooc: hopefully getting internet fixed this friday/weekend. I may murder the entire NTC company. I might ask you to provide me an alibi so that I may accomplish this more easily. )
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2010 02:26
"well... that was unexpected. Baudhiel, what did you do? I know you're angry at me, but calling a troll down from the trollshaws is a bit much. You could have dyed my hair a ghastly color again."

"Why must everything be my fault?" Baudhiel glared at Tholinnas but then grinned when she remembered dying his hair bright green.

"I did not bring a Troll this close to Rivendell! It just wandered this way." Baughiel wandered over to the felled troll and pulled out her arrow, she checked it and cleaned it with a small cloth and then placed it back in her quiver.

"Though if you wanted your hair to be colored again Tholinnas, all you had to do was ask." she smirked at him.

"Come both of you, we must report this to Lord Elrond."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 01, 2010 09:25
Talfryn felt an odd sensation as he neared the grouping of trees known as the Trollshaws. Little more than a large expanse of woods, the Trollshaws bordered the road that ran from east to west. The road cut through the southern half of the woods. As he approached, Talfryn listened for the typical sounds of the forest: birds singing, cicadas whining, the occasional scurrying of an animal running through the underbrush. This time, nothing. An ominous feeling crept up his spine. But as he entered the Trollshaws, the treetops forming a verdant canopy over his head, Talfryn was struck most by how muggy the air was. How odd, he thought, especially since the day was cooler than normal.

He proceeded slowly along the path, wanting to leave as quickly as possible but knowing his packhorse could only plod along. Dale kept his nose to the air, catching a whiff here and there. Eghlad followed behind the wagon calmly. There was no undue cause for worry…yet.

Suddenly, a growl filled the air, and Dale's hackles raised. Both horses halted, ears turning to catch the sound. They whickered nervously. Talfryn's hand crept to the sword at his side. Grabbing the packhorse's reins, he urged the animals forward with a soft word. The growl sounded again. This time, the packhorse panicked. He stopped dead in his tracks and tossed his head. The whites of his eyes showed as he pawed the ground anxiously. Yanking the packhorse's head down again, Talfryn pulled him forward.

What in the world was this? Talfryn thought. Dale's growls deepened, and he bared his fangs. Whatever had upset the animals was not far away…

[Edited on 9/1/2010 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2010 09:16
Tholinnas remembered the vived green that his hair had been. It had been in retaliation to him dying her teeth black, which had been in retaliation to something else... And so on, and so forth.

He turned to Baudhiel seriously

"Should that day ever arise, I shall alert you immediatly. Until then, I expect to grow wings. But we should be off."

The three of them left, Tholinnas leading his horse this time. Imladris grew, occasionally dissappearing as they made their down the hills until they reached the halls itself. He sent his horse on its way to the stables and, with his companions, went to find Lord Elrond.

(Occ: this might be a good place for other characters to bump into us.. Either coming or going or summats)
Narlhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2010 12:06
Limwen took leave of Lord Elrond and hurried through the halls of Imladris in search of the twins Elladan and Elrohir. She was to bid them come to Lord Elrond's chamber so that they might discuss the growing shadow in the east. Not knowing were to find the twins, she decided to search the gardens, thinking they would be relaxing after having returned from the wild.
It was a beautiful day and many elves were out enjoying the sun, but though she thoroughly searched each of the many gardens, she found neither Elladan or Elrohir. Just as she was re-entering the main hall, Erestor grabbed her arm: "Limwen, if you're looking for Elladan and Elrohir, I've just sent them on to Lord Elrond's chamber. And now we had best follow lest we be late." Together, they entered the hall, but Erestor turned and hurried along it immediately, while Limwen lingered, basking in the bright sun.
The sound of footsteps startled her out of the trance. At first, she thought Erestor had come back for her, but that was most unlike him, and the footsteps came from the other direction. she straightened up as Tholinnas, Baudhiel, and Estonniel came towards her. "What news from the border?" She called, then added, "Come, you may share it when we are all gathered, for Lord Elrond wishes to discuss the shadow with his councillors." She fell in step with them as they made their way down the hall to Lord Elrond's chamber.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2010 05:16
Tholinnas heard Limwen up ahead. He didn't know the elleth as well as Baudhiel, or Estonniel, at some point he meant to change that, but being gone all the time meant that the only others he knew well were the other guards. And with the trolls, that wasn't likely to change.

what news from the border?

"Nothing good, I'm afraid. Baudhiel let our merry war get a bit far, and now there are trolls involved." He glanced at the elleth, who shot him an indignant glare, he grinned in response.

They entered Lord Elrond's hall, and saw Elrohir and Elladan there as well. He grinned even broader, even with bad news, it was always good to see friends, though the looks on their faces were grave.

It took a great deal to remove their smiles. A great deal.
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2010 05:56
(OOC:: If there is anything that I should change please let me know. Btw, sorry for a slow update! School is kicking my butt!)

Baudhiels face grew grim as she entered the room and her mood went spiralling downward as she saw the looks on the twins faces. She looked at Lord Elrond and confirmed that this was not to be a good meeting.

"Unfortunately we have not gathered here for the pleasantries of the good company of friends. We have gathered here to give attention to an ever growing dark presence." Lord Elrond looked around at all that were in the room.

"Buadhiel, you have recently came into contact of what I speak, what news on the border?" Lord Elrond gave his attention to Baudhiel.

"As usual patrol went as normal as it possibly go, the occasional man passing through. But what was not normal was the rampaging Troll that Estonniel, Tholinnas and myself have taken down, but my lord, what has this one Troll have to do with this growing darkness?"

Baudhiel felt that whatever Lord Elrond was going to say she was not going to like it.

"Rumor has it that Sauron is growing stronger and reaching for allies as far as the Trollshaws, Baudhiel." replied Lord Elrond.

Baudhiel inwardly shuddered, she heard about the rumor and was hoping that it was just a rumor.

"The Trolls are allying with Sauron, we must put an end to their allegience." said Elrohir.

"We can double the patrols on the border, make sure that the borders would stande against a possible attack from the Trolls." Baudhiel looked at Elrond for permission to leave to fulfill her duty to protect their home, Lorc Elrond nodded and left the room with her mission in mind.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 26, 2010 03:39
The growls deepened. The packhorse began to fret again, shifting his weight between his hooves and whickering. An enormous, shrouded figure stepped onto the dirt path behind them. Both horses panicked and fought their constraints. Sensing danger, Dale flattened his ears and began cautiously approaching the figure, as if he was unsure what to do. Talfryn grabbed his sword, cut the packhorse's harness, and the frightened beast bolted off into the forest. Leaving his goods behind, Talfryn grabbed Eghlad's reins and cut his tether. He leaped onto his back and kicked his horse down the path, Dale following. Talfryn didn't know what was following them, he only glanced over his shoulder to see the beast ambling towards his wares. The thing picked up the wagon, inspected it, and threw it against a tree, completely destroying it.

Talfryn didn't care to see more. He was heading east, first to put as much distance between the Trollshaws as he could, and second, to warn those in his path about the encroaching threat. He had never seen the Trollshaws active with actual trolls in them. Such a thing was almost unheard of! What was going on?
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2010 08:17
Baudhiel was heading back to the borders of Rivendell clearing her thoughts of the information Lord Elrond has given everyone at the meeting. After she had left the meeting, Baudhiel went straight to the barracks and set up new shifts for the other guards, then she found herself heading back to the border.

In the middle of her thoughtful walk back to the border, Baudhiel felt the presence of another behind her, she stopped and spoke.

"Tholinnas, I know you're there. " She smirked at him as she saw him poke his head out from behind a tree.

"Come, let us go back to the border together."
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 03:31
Imarië looked up to the disappearing sun and smiled, her journey was half over; she had been traveling down from the far north to cross the Misty Mountains on the safe road. She was on her way to Erebor to visit her Dwarf-friends for over two weeks now, and as long as she could stay out of a troll’s cooking pot, she would reach the Lonely Mountain in a couple of weeks. It never usually took this long to return home, but there had been many skirmishes down south earlier in the year with orcs, and she had had business up north and she had traveled farther away than she usually did. Durin IV had raised her in Moria as his daughter and she was regarded as near royalty among dwarves, she had been found by sentries alone at the foot of the Misty Mountains as a baby, and none of her kin could be found. But now that Moria had fallen, the only dwarven sanctuary was Erebor were Dain II ruled.

She sighed, thinking of her past made her sad, she knew none of her blood-kin, and any elves made her on edge, never knowing if she would find her family. That was what had made part of this journey unappealing, the Trollshaws in itself was frightening enough, but passing so close to Imladris made her nervous.

She brushed back the tiny braid she let hang loose from her bun, she rarely let her hair hang loose, she preferred them tied into many, small braids and pulled back into a low bun on the nape of her neck. She was a tall elf; and wore black leather boots up to her mid-thighs, deep purple pants, and a black, long-sleeved shirt, she wore her swords, bow, and arrows within easy reach, one could never could be too careful in the Trollshaws.

The sound of pounding hoof beats behind her roused Imarië from where her thoughts had led her. Turning, she saw a small horse that had had its tethers cut, barreling down the path towards her. She slid to the side of the path as he neared her, reaching out, she grabbed his bridle and pulled him slightly off his balance to slow him down. He was breathing hard, rolling his eyes with fear.

“Mae govannen, nîn mellon.” Speaking softly, and moving slowly, she calmed him, all the while her eyes searched the surrounding trees for signs of trolls. Looking back on the path they both had come, she heard another set hoof beats, and from out of the shadows beneath the trees came a horse and its rider, closely followed by a dog. The rider was bent low over the saddle, looking as if he had just slung himself over in haste. He kept looking back over his shoulder, as if Death himself was on his heels.

“Aiya!” She cried to him before he trampled them into the dust beneath him.

His head snapped forwards, the light of terror shining bright in his eyes. Frowning, she saw him take twice as long to slow his horse down than it should, causing her to swiftly pull the pack-horse off the path and out of his way. When he finally stopped, the horse was covered in lather and could barely stand. Realizing that the man was far too much out of breath to speak, she stepped forward and bowed.

She reverted to the Common tongue for this human man, "Where do you go in such haste, my friend?”

[Edited on 11/11/2010 by Vanwa_Meleth]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 01, 2010 03:10
Eghlad fled east along the path, his hooves barely touching the earth. A passing observer would have thought the hounds of hell were in pursuit of the fearful beast. Either that, or he would have passed for a phantom, the large dark horse much like that of a wraith. Branches and brush grabbed at the pair but were snapped off their limbs as horse and rider flew by. Talfryn, normally a fearless rider, was beside himself. The path in front of them narrowed, and he held his breath as the already rare light amidst the woods darkened.

They continued down the path until the trail narrowed to barely two feet wide. It seemed as if they were going to hit a dead end. Talfryn bit his lip in fear as Eghlad broke through the overgrowth that threatened to shroud the dirt path, Dale close behind. In a splendid burst of final sunlight, the path and woods widened in front of them, revealing a large swath of green on both sides of the trail. Along one side was a tall lady holding what looked to be the reins of his packhorse. But, certain that he was being followed, he turned his head around to make sure nothing was following them.

He heard the cry of "Aiya!" emanate from somewhere near him. The lady was shouting at him. Talfryn realized Eghlad had reached his breaking point, and he began to shift his weight back, but his horse kept going, spurred on by the adrenaline pounding in his veins. Talfryn tightened the reins and hauled back. Eghlad shifted his own weight back on his hindquarters, so deep that his hocks almost reached the ground. He soon regained balance, and his rider dismounted in haste. Talfryn fussed around in his pack for a spare cloak and began to rub down Eghlad who was shaking and heaving at the sides. He spoke in a soothing voice to calm his faithful animal before turning to the woman. She approached him.

She reverted to the Common tongue for this human man, "Where do you go in such haste, my friend?”

Struggling to catch his breath, Talfryn could only stammer, "Trolls...here...in forest...where are they coming from?" Eventually, his own shaking subsided, and he told his story from the beginning, "I was bound for The Fold east of here with wares when I saw something in this very forest that caused my blood to chill. It was a sight like I've never seen before. A Troll? But I thought they were naught but a tale!" His grey eyes scanned the lady who reached only to his chin. He wasn't sure if he had ever seen the likes of her before. "Know you anything of this?" He bowed slightly. "I apologize for my lack of manners, milady. I am called Talfryn, son of Iohrim, lately of Bree. Might I ask your name?"
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2010 02:32
Imarie frowned at the word troll. She had had several run-ins with trolls years ago, and she still had the scars to prove it. She looked at the man with sympathy, she had been near unconsolable when she had come across her first troll unexpectedly.
"I am Imarie Bladesinger, adopted daughter of Durin IV. Well met Talfryn, son of Iohrim, lately of Bree, what do we do? I have no horse, I can run for a while, not long. And knowing where we're going would help."

(OOC-Sorry it's short, I'll post more later.)

[Edited on 5/11/2010 by Vanwa_Meleth]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2010 06:17
Of course Baudhiel would know him well enough to guess he would stalk her. He smiled as he slid out from behind the tree.

"I suppose I should start coming up with new tricks, you are deserving of something more devious to dog your steps" he gave her a grin as they both mounted their horses and headed back to the border.

After they were nearly to their post again, this time nearer to the trollshaws. Once there they heard something else, off in the distance. Casting each other concerned and knowing looks, they spurred off in the direction of the fight.

There was a young man and... a strange elleth that he neither recognized nor could place her elvendom. He looked over again at Baudhiel to gauge her reaction and they exchanged weary glances.

"It would seem there are trolls in our midst. I daresay we should attend to that, and then we can make with the pleasantries." He drew his sword as did the strange elleth who looked less than happy at his and Baudhiel's presence and Baudhiel.

"what shall this plan of attack?"

OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2010 03:47
"what shall this plan of attack?"

Baudhiel tore her curios gaze from the two strangers just ahead of them and grabbed her battle axe.

"I'll swing at it's ankles causing the troll to fall, afterwards we can finish it off." She swung her axe in her hands.

"We'll wait until he is in clear sight then I'll catch him off gaurd. We need to get the strangers out of the way first." Baudhiel got off her horse and walked up to the two. Giving them a slight bow to show that they were not strangers she ushered them past Tholinnas into the brush.

"Please, stay there. I will be back soon."

Baudhiel quickly went back to Tholinnas and nodded to him, quickly they took their places, Baudhiel hidden behind a large boulder and Tholinnas somewhere on the other side of the path. Soon the Troll that was persuing the two strangers came into view, Baudhiel braced herself gripping her axe tighter. She took a deep breath a ran from behind the boulder, she swung her axe when she came near to the large Trolls leg came near.

The Troll roared in pain and nearly fell to the ground in shock, Baudhiel dodged a swing arm and went to strike the next ankle to make the Troll fall completely but missed. Baudhiel cursed and dived to where Tholinnas was unseen by the troll.

"You're turn." she smirked at him.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 04, 2010 02:39
"I am Imarie Bladesinger, adopted daughter of Durin IV. Well met Talfryn, son of Iohrim, lately of Bree, what do we do? I have no horse, I can run for a while, not long. And knowing where we're going would help."

The corners of Talfryn's mouth lifted in a grin; the name Durin meant little to the Man, beyond that of a great Dwarven lord. "And the same to you, Imarië. If you'd like, feel free to ride the packhorse you were so kind to stop for me. Deiniol is a smooth ride, but probably not like the palfreys I'd imagine you're used to riding, milady." He bowed his head again. "But come, I am bound east still to The Fold. These folks, and any others we might meet, need to be made aware of the present threat in the Trollshaws. Mayhaps we are to Rivendell also?"

Just then, two Elves burst into the clearing. One of them, a she-elf approached them with concern alit in her eyes.

"Please, stay there. I will be back soon."

But, curiosity replaced the absolute terror he had felt moments before. Oh, he was still frightened, but there was safety in numbers. Talfryn moved in front of Eghlad, whose breathing had begun to slow. He stroked the dark muzzle and cheek, and Eghlad sighed, shifting his weight from hoof to hoof. He clearly wanted to bolt off in the opposite direction of the impending danger, but he sensed his master had other plans.

Talfryn swung himself easily onto Eghlad's back, and he glanced sideways at Imarië, whose hands still clutched Deiniol's reins. "Normally, I am not one to fight things I've never seen before, but it appears to me our new friends could use our help. D'you reckon?" he said, running a hand along Eghlad's neck, calming the poor horse. Clucking softly to his horse and squeezing his calves, Talfryn urged Eghlad forward back towards their adversary, followed by Imarië.

The fight seemed almost comical in appearance. He saw that the two Elves were attempting to down the Troll by attacking its ankles. But what that would accomplish, Talfryn did not know. What he did know was that this creature...no, thing...Trolls could never be considered creatures, was at least twice as tall and three times as large as any of them, and its strength was unimaginable. Its grey skin looked thick as sturdy leather armour, not easily penetrable. "Do you think they can manage the thing themselves?" Talfryn asked Imarië, fiddling with the reins. Eghlad shifted again underneath him, wanting to flee.

Dale loped along behind the horses, tongue lolling from his mouth. He kept silent, not wanting to alert the...thing...of its presence. But as he caught the stench of the Troll, he bared his fangs, ready to defend his master if needed.

Talfryn unsheathed his sword and surveyed the playing field astutely. He was by no means a seasoned warrior on the battlefield, but he knew enough to know that he had to aid the Elves. And then he saw his chance...
Naurmaethor
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2010 07:15
A figure stooped low, investigating the ground. Large prints etched into the ground told him the Troll had turned south east.

"Toward Rivendell?" the surprised thought escaped from his mouth.

He knew now that this troll hunt was of more importance than his usual tracking. The idea of trolls boldly marching towards Imladris did not bode well for the security of the rest of Middle-Earth.

Dornadann, a Ranger of the North of Numenorian descent tracked trolls often. The unspoken pact between the Rangers and the lands of the North bound him to protect those innocent and helpless when threatened by the evil of Sauron. They were ancient rivals, the men of the North and Sauron. Ever since the Elendili, the few faithful Numenorians who were not swayed by the lies of Sauron on the isle of Numenor. Who sailed to Middle-Earth to redeem the Numenorian race from the folly of those who would have challanged the Valar by seeking the Undying Lands. Elendil and his followers aligned themselves with the elves in The Last Alliance to destroy Sauron forever. This was the ancient struggle that bound the Rangers of the North to protect the innocent and thwart evil wherever they could. Though their northern kingdom destroyed, in exile the ancient foes of Sauron sought to protect it and preserve it in hope that one day it would be restored.

He continued moving in the direction of the footsteps. Running under the trees of this fallen land. He was young for his kind, thirty-two, but as children all Dunadain were taught the history and lore of Middle-Earth. They knew the history in the land they defended.

He slowed his pace now, he could see the troll in front him. Partially veiled through the trees, like a walking boulder, he could see the troll marching along. He followed it for a bit but as he got closer he could see the troll had stopped. It picked up a wagon and then through it against a tree. The wagon shattered and fell in a pile of splinters. Just then a horse whinnied and Dornadann heard the familiar sound of horse hooves. Someone was in flight. The troll began to pursue down the path. Dornadann pursued the troll. There was no need for stealth now, the troll was rampaging and would not heed sounds behind it. As the troll continued down the path, which was quickly becoming too narrow for it, tree branches and other obstacles were brushed aside and Dornadann followed in the wake of the destruction.

At the most overgrown point of the path the forest opened wide, but Dornadann saw a higher road go off to the right of the main path. He turned onto it and coming up above ground level he could see ahead the one being chased had run into another person. Dornadann did not know to what extent these two strangers could defend themselves but he had to assume the worst when he decided to draw his bow and rare mithril tipped arrows. Mithril was a tough alloy that was very moldable but tougher than any known alloy. He had pierced the soft skin behind trolls' ears with Mithril arrows many times, but he had few left and needed good aim here to conserve and to ensure the safety of the strangers. He stretched the bow back aimed in front of the moving creature and let it fly. At the very moment he did this someone sprung from behind a rock and swiped at the ankles of the beast, it jerked it's head and the arrow missed.

A battle had begun and Dornadann had one Mithril arrow left. He wasn't about to try that again with the target jerking as badly as it did. He wasn't without any arrows though and he fitted another standard arrow to the string took aim and fired.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate: and though I oft have passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2010 01:30
Looking at the two elves rolling on the ground attacking the ankles of the troll was hilarious to Imarie, but realizing the need to bring the troll down soon was impressed upon her. Drawing her bow out, Imarie reached for her arrows when a strange Mithril arrow narrowly missed the troll's head. Remembering something, Imarie reached down to her calves where she kept her poisonous arrows. Drawing two, Imarie aimed for the chest, knowing it would be harder to miss if the troll moved suddenly. Imarie was many things, but not a bad shot, her arrows slammed into the troll, who roared in pain looking down at his chest. Imarie leapt down from the pack horse and pulled away one of the strange elleths and shouted to the other to do the same.
"Move! The troll will come down and you will not wish to be beneath it!"
Realizing where the troll would fall, she raced to a tall rock beside the path, leapt to it and then onto the troll's back and reached for her arrows before jumping back onto the ground as the troll fell.
She turned to the others,
" Thank you," she said,"if you hadn't weakened it, I wouldn't have time to hit with my poison-tips. It would have come for me much quicker."
Noticing they were staring at her, Imarie turned red with shame, thinking they might believe she had done to snatch all the glory.

(OOC- Thanks for carrying Imarie a while.)
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 05, 2010 04:13
Talfryn watched from atop Eghlad as more Elves appeared almost out of nowhere and continued the fight. Another strange Elf raced along the top of a ridge road, but the Man barely took notice. Imarië shot an arrow, and it pierced the Troll's chest. It staggered, taken aback by the nuisance that was causing him discomfort. But, it would not be downed so easily. It's funny to think that the Elves surmise a Troll would be easy to kill, Talfryn mused. Simply put, the thing had to have more strength than what they originally thought. For, as the Troll almost reached the ground and Imarië remarked upon her poison tips, it slowly but surely regained its balance. He kicked Eghlad into a canter, and the dark horse pounded over to the group of Elves, Dale close behind. A grim smile crossed his mouth as he addressed his fellow fighters. "Do you honestly think arrows and smashing ankles are going to be the only things that can stop this beast? Pray, I don't mean any offense, but I do believe this thing to have the strength of many oxen and probably the stupidity of that many as well." He paused. "If we can keep it on the ground, then I'm sure we can finish it off." He was not trying to sound contemptuous, especially since it was commonly acknowledged that Elves far surpassed Men in almost every ability imaginable. But, common sense he had in plenty. Something did not sit right with him about the Troll being finished already. His skin was too thick to be terribly impacted by arrows.

Talfryn whistled for Dale, and the hound came flying and came to a half beneath Eghlad's legs. The horse snorted with disdain and tossed his head. Talfryn pointed at the Troll, and Dale scurried towards the thing, barking up a storm. At least one of the Elves gave the Man a curious if not disapproving or incredulous look, but Talfryn explained, "I can keep the Troll busy by distracting it. I trust your archery skills are far superior to mine, and you won't intentionally aim for my dog or myself. At some point, I hope he will get exhausted and will not be able to rise once he collapses on the ground. Or, perhaps one of you will succeed at hitting him in the right spot. At the least, I can keep him entertained." Without waiting for a reply, Talfryn drove Eghlad off towards the Troll, knowing full well the dangers of a close encounter with it. But, he had a nimble horse and a dog on his side. Let the Elves do the rest of the handy work.

But, Eghlad had other plans. The horse began to fight the bit and refused to obey Talfryn's commands. The Troll turned towards the Man and roared, sending shivers down Talfryn's spine. Terror welled up inside him again, and his panic matched Eghlad's. Talfryn was a simple man, not a warrior. What was he doing out here, trying to fight this thing? He should be warning others! Eghlad seemed to read his thoughts and fought the bit again, throwing his hindquarters sideways in an awkward dance of fright.

Oh, things were definitely not going to according to plan. Eventually, however, Talfryn regained his senses and followed through with his diversion. He and Eghlad weaved in and out and around the Troll with Dale intertwining himself also, barking.

(No problem! Oh, and Talfryn doesn't know about the poisoned arrows so all the better if the Troll randomly convulses and dies. I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade with this post either.)

[Edited on 11/6/2010 by Dinenlasse]
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2010 03:11
Imarië watched Talfryn rush towards the troll on his horse with the dog close on his heels.
“Admirable,” she thought, “he is either extremely stupid or far braver than most men. To his credit, no sane man would charge a troll. Still, I suppose it is a shame to let his recklessness go to waste, though I had hoped to live to see my fourth century.”
And with her faithful broadsword in hand, Imarië darted in after him. She noticed with chagrin that her poison-tips were taking far longer than they usually did, they were supposed to take less than five seconds to kill, but the troll’s hide was thick and tough, and it had been well over half a minute since they had hit the troll.
Just then, the troll let out a groan and clutched its chest where the arrows had buried themselves. Imarië instantly leapt clear along with Talfryn on the other side just in time, the troll swayed to and forth several times. All the fighters watched with rounded eyes as the troll dropped to its knees and fell face first onto the ground.
After the dust cleared from its fall, everyone breathed a sigh of relief, their battle was over. Imarië stood from her present crouch and rolled her head and neck down to her shoulders, releasing the pain that caught itself up in an old would there. She nodded at Talfryn and turned her head to look at the two elves on her left. Other elves put her edge and made her nervous when she was around them, but now, she had had time to compose herself and think. She spoke:
“I am sorry that we seem to have taken over your little fight, though you did ask very prettily to hide ourselves. I am used to defending myself in situations such as this; or protecting dwarves, who are no more than ankle-biters, which you just recently reminded me of. But pray, excuse me,” here she bowed, “I am Imarië Bladesinger, adopted daughter of Durin the IV. I was on my way to Erebor when I met Talfryn here, after that I believe you know the rest.” She looked to Talfryn to continue with his story as she turned and sheathed her sword and unstrung her bow, which she then buckled to her back, watching the others, ready to run if the elves wanted her to travel with them.

[Edited on 11/11/2010 by Vanwa_Meleth]
Naurmaethor
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2010 02:12
Dornadann had fired two arrows into the hideous creature when it began to stumble as if weakened. He was surprised, not expecting a full sized troll to be killed by a gash in it's ankle and two arrows wounds in it's back. Suddenly a rider and a hound came charging! Then retreating.. Then charging again!() Maneuvering around the troll in some sort of distraction tactic. An elf, with bow on back, charged towards the troll and Dornadann fired one more arrow at the beast, missing again as it fell to the ground. He wasn't the best marksman but even he didn't usually have this bad of a day.

I am sorry that we seem to have taken over your little fight...

In the excitement Dornadann had made his way fairly close to the mixed company of warriors.

"If you are asking forgiveness, I will give it. You all have taken over my little fight. Which actually was only me tracking this creature, contently from a distance, nearly all day. And now I have only guesses to where he was headed."

Dornadann was only slightly perturbed, what he said was more for the sake of his pride. Which was slightly diminished after missing the giant creature two out of the four times he shot at it.

"My name is Dornadann, and I don't share enemies well, but maybe our purposes are the same. You are a strange company, and I say company because it seems unlikely that three elves and a man would stumble upon each other in this part of Eriador by accident. On what errand have you been sent?"
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate: and though I oft have passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2010 10:00
Imarië frowned at the new arrival and his outburst; she could not see why the newcomer was so upset about them killing the troll that he had tracked, when it had been ready to kill them.
Since she was a child, she was like royalty among the dwarves, and she put on the royal airs and pride when dealing with difficult people, which this one obviously was. She made her face expressionless, even though she was quite annoyed, and replied, “I agree, you do not share your enemies well, though I fail to see why who kills the troll matters, it was a combined effort, on our parts, as I only saw one arrow from you when you were well away from the fight. And as to where there the troll was going, I would say that way,” she pointed back the way she and the other three had come towards the troll, “and where that leads, I would suggest pulling out a map and finding out.”
She did not care if he or the others thought she was full of pride, she wasn’t, she had seen Talfryn’s face before and after his excursion with the troll and was worried about him. He had looked like someone who had just found the ground beneath his feet after falling from a great height, and the other two elves were not looking like the world either. That was why she had decided to go first in the introductions to let them get their breath back. She continued:
“We were not a company until a moment ago, when Talfryn’s horse nearly ran me over, and the other two came out of the forest to fight your troll. I do not know who you are or where your paths go, but you cannot be angry with us when we did all the work you were going to do before long.”
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2010 02:31
Baudhiel was getting a little annoyed, she ignored the wary glances that Tholinnas threw her and marched into the middle Imarie and Dornadann.

"Instead of bickering, why don't you both come to terms that this troll is dead and not smashing our heads in?" Baudhiel wasn't a nice elf when it came to others bickering in serious situations.

After addressing to those too she turned to the man Talfryn. "I do not believe that you'll be heading to the Fold anytime soon, There are already some of my fellow kinsman on their way to warn them of the Trolls."

With a sigh Baudhiel addressed them all. "Come we all head back to Rivendell. For surely you are all tired." she said this to Dornadann, Talfryn and Imarie.

"Back to Rivendell again..." she thought.

(OC: sorry that it took me a while to update! School is taking its toll on me. Also, I apologize if this post is a bad one i kind of rushed it)

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 09, 2010 04:52
I was on my way to Moria when I met Talfryn here, after that I believe you know the rest.” She looked to Talfryn to continue with his story as she turned and sheathed her sword and unstrung her bow...

"Aye," Talfryn continued after Imarië had began her version of the story. "My name is Talfryn, son of Iohrim, lately of Bree. I am a blacksmith, carpenter, and trader by profession, and I was on my way east to The Fold sheltered in the Misty Mountains to sell my wares when I came across that vile thing"-he shot a disgusted glare at the dead Troll-"in the midst of the forest. It destroyed my wares, and I was not about to remain within twenty yards of the thing."

The Man of Bree turned his attention on the haughty, disgruntled Man. "Dear sir, if you were tracking this Troll most of the evening, you must be able to validate my own story. The question I must pose, however, is why you wouldn't have cared to offer aid to me when I was obviously in need. Futhermore, I rarely have dealings with Elves so this company has fallen together purely by incident. But, no matter, this quarreling will get us nowhere save injured feelings and stolen pride." Talfryn turned from the others and busied himself with Eghlad, who was shaking with exertion and fright. Calmly, he took his cloak and rubbed down the horse, making sure to remove the saddle. Deiniol, whickering but much happier than before, sidled up to the Elves and eyed them curiously.

Another of the Elves addressed Talfryn.

"I do not believe that you'll be heading to The Fold anytime soon, There are already some of my fellow kinsman on their way to warn them of the Trolls."

"I have no intention of turning back east. I'd rather get back to my home and have nothing more to do with this place. My presence surely needn't be warranted among the Elves. I am but a simple Man with my own life to lead. Feel free to continue without me, but take Deiniol as a mount. He's obviously much taken with you." He turned back from tending Eghlad and laughed as the horse made for Imarië.

[Edited on 11/10/2010 by Dinenlasse]
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2010 02:49
Imarië smiled as Deiniol sidled up to her and rubbed his face on her arm. Obliging him, she scratched his ears and neck, smiling even broader when she found his sweet spot at the base of his neck. She had never had an animal before; the mounts of the dwarves were too small for her, so she had contented herself with walking.

"Come we all head back to Rivendell . . .

Imarië looked up in horror as the female elf said this.
"I-I think th-that I'll p-pass on that o-offer as w-well, th-thank you. I h-had better be g-getting back on my journey." She stammered as she tried to back away. "I d-don't think y-you n-need me anymore, so I'll b-be going."

She really could not go to a place filled with elves without some strong drink to back up her nerves. The fact that she had never known her parents, but lived with dwarves all her life made her feel like she just wasn't quite good enough to show her face among elves, and not knowing what had become of her kin made her more nervous.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2010 08:22
Tholinnas,unlike his companion, wasn't particularly frustrated. On his way, perhaps, but not there yet. Fighting the troll would have been smoother and faster without the additonal opinions interjected and what was originally supposed to be a simple recon was rapidly turning into a coalition of sorts. Imarie gave him the most pause. An elleth... A very pretty elleth afraid of Rivendell, or atleats going to Rivendell. Very odd. And raised by dwarves. Odder still.

"Methinks, my good lady, that your apprehension is misplaced. The lord of Imladris is a generous host, and there are quiet corners to hideaway in, should you dread other's company. But you may have seen such things in your travels that we may need to know with this new threat approaching the walls of one of the last sanctuaries. Please, accompany us. We will not hold you against your will."

He turned from her as she mused, torn and still looking like she'd rather tackle the troll herself than accept the offer. The Dunedain would also be of great source of information and aid. In his time as a border guard, he had come to know and respect a few of the Rangers of the north, he did not write them off as easily as did some of his kin.

"Dunedain" he inclined his head slightly "your eyes are keen and your travels range far beyond our own and your opinion will be much sought by Lord Elrond."

He eyed the boy- "you would do well to rest your mount and gather your barings"

He had hoped the invitations were taken as sincere, and indeed they were, but their coming back to Imladris was of a fair bit of importance. There were some signs of grudging movement as he and Buadhiel mounted their horses, he rode over the elleth... Imarie, he believed her name was and offered a hand up to his own mount

(((Ooc: not necessarily intending anything, but I've decided he's a wee bit of a flirt.. Kinda likethe guy I'm basinf him off of, haha)))
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2010 10:27
Imarië merely stared at the male elf, and realized he was flirting with her. Completely outraged, Imarië remembered that she would have to fend for herself this time, no guards or Father to help. She thought about the point he had just made.

“I suppose one or two days out of my way won’t do any damage, and if I can help in any way for future travelers . . .” She said slowly, “Humph, I will be honored to see the fair hills of Rivendell and speak with your Lord Elrond, of whom I have never heard any ill. But I have my own steed thank you sir, thanks to Talfryn’s generosity.”

She turned away from his offering hand towards Talfryn,

“Thank you my friend, for this horse, I will care for him well. And should you ever be near dwarvish dwellings and in need of anything, merely mention my name and you will be welcome. But if I could ask one more thing of you, please accompany me to Rivendell, I will have need of some Man company there and I doubt our Dunedain friend will suffice.” She said the last part in lowered tones, throwing a dark look at the other.

Waiting for a reply, Imarië moved to the side of Deiniol, and leapt onto his back with ease.

(OOC - No it's great! It makes the thread human. Well, not human. Oh, you know what I mean!)
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 11, 2010 06:55
(OOC:: Cara, I laughed when you used the term "boy". In fact, Talfryn is 35. Naurmaethor, how old did you intend Dornadann to be? Just curious, is all. )

Talfryn remained silent as he watched the exchanges between the Ranger, the he-Elf, and Imarië. He had a feeling that there were going to be interesting group dynamics from the tensions between Imarië and Dornadann, the "friendliness" of the he-Elf towards Imarië, and his own perceptions that the pair of Elves he knew nothing about, not even their names, somehow thought themselves above the two Men. In his experiences in Bree, a veritable crossroads of travelers, Elves were all too often distant, set with their own ideas and thoughts, hardly seeking the company of mere Humans. But Imarië on the other hand, well, she was simply different. She wanted him to accompany her to the elf haven of Rivendell. He took her outstretched hand and pressed it with his own in a gesture of friendship. "I shall of course accompany you, milady." His eyes moved to Deiniol, who seem much more comfortable than he had only an hour before. "Deiniol is a wonderful horse. You'll have nary a problem with him, and I'm glad you are accepting him. And I appreciate your guarantee of safe passage in strange lands."

Dale, who was laying on the ground nearby, tongue lolling and brown eyes alert, suddenly rose to his paws. He paused for a moment, one paw in the air. Talfryn turned his attention to his dog and waited, watching. Dale took off into the underbrush without an uttered sound. Talfryn made to go after him, calling his name, when a loud squeal like that of death pierced the night air. Eghlad whickered in confusion, and Talfryn trailed his hand down his neck. Soon enough, however, Dale came back with a rabbit in his mouth. The Man crouched on the ground, laughing, took the rabbit from his dog's mouth, and ruffled his ears affectionately. Standing up, he addressed the others, "Well, that settles it for me. I am only going so far as to the edge of this wood tonight and pitching camp. You all are welcome to my provisions, but if necessity draws you to Rivendell tonight, then so be it."

Talfryn wrapped the dead rabbit in a clean cloth from his pack, resaddled Eghlad, who himself had much improved from the Troll incident, and mounted his horse. Instantly, Eghlad broke into a walk, and almost as instantly, a low murmuring of words came from Talfryn's mouth.

Once a day I'll nary stay
For too far from home I'll roam.
O'er hill and dale, valley and vale
No destination but my own.

The road before me hath implored me
To tread along its head.
Promising ne'er a care from wear and tear
Until I'm back in my bed.

Onward stranger whether Man or Ranger
Take heart in the burden you bear.
For when all's done from dancing in the sun
Ye'll have yourself lovely ale nice and clear.

Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2010 09:56
Imarië smiled. She was much happier now that Talfryn was coming, she did not want to be around elves or that Dornadann without some sane person to speak with, especially when the he-elf was being over-friendly towards her. She could not understand why she had taken a dislike to the ranger, but something about his reaction to the troll’s death irked her.

She laughed with Talfryn when the dog came back with a rabbit, and fell in beside him as their horses started to walk, but kept a respectful distance when he spoke to himself.

Once a day I'll nary stay . . .

She looked around to the two elves behind them,

"We could use knowing where we're going, if you would be so kind." she called.

(OOC:: I had to do a double take when I saw "boy". I thought, what did I miss?! )
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email