Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
Post Secrets of the Fourth Age~Please PM
on: August 23, 2010 11:03
This is the actual thread for Secrets of the Fourth Age. Please read about the story here. If you would like to join in, please pm me.

Birds twittered, leaves rustled and the sun shone as Piper Took wandered through the woods on the outskirts of the Shire. This day was the last perfect day before fall came in and it was too beautiful a day to be wasted, so Piper contented herself by settling for a walk in the woods by the Brandywine. Maybe she'd go all the way to Bree, and find the inn her older sister Lassie had talked about. Lately, Piper had been reading more and more, and been looking over maps of Middle-earth. She had been feeling a yearning to explore the world, and find unexpected things around every corner.

Suddenly, voices came out of the clearing in front of her. They sounded urgent, and almost angry. Piper peered through a tangle of bushes and saw a group of men sitting around a dead fire pit. Curious, Piper moved closer.

Who were these people?

[Edited on 23/8/2010 by Harthad]

[Edited on 25/8/2010 by Harthad]
Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Secrets of the Fourth Age~Please PM
on: August 25, 2010 09:01
Raegon scowled at his man, for he was the leader of them. Again they failed. They had brought no elves, no dwarves nor any hobbits; the races he dispiced. Saeron, his younger brother, chuckled.

'Again no luck, big brother?' He asked, mockingly. Raegon snarled at him. Oh, how he hated his brother. The snarl only made Saeron chuckle more.

'I take that as a no.' He said while chuckling. Raegon's other man had to cough to hide their laughter. The two brothers always bickered, Raegon being jealous of Saeron and Saeron always making fun of Raegon.

'If you would just shut up and listen, fool, you would hear my plan.' Raegon snapped at Saeron. Saeron snorted. 'Oh save us, he has a plan. Will anybody save us.' He said dramatically. Raegon rolled his eyes and paced the floor, muttering to himself.

'If we want to do things right, you will have to listen. Not to this poor excuse of a brother, but to me. We are here, in the outskirts of the Shire. We are here to take revenge on those foolish hobbits, for they found the One Ring after so many peaceful years without.' Raegon said urgently. The man listened well, until they heard someone nearing.

Raegon beckoned three of his man to follow and slipped into the forest. He grinned when he saw a girl, a hobbit lass. 'Take her.' He ordered. The man nodded and moves forward. The grabbed the hobbit lass and smiled, they had their prey. Raegon smiled cunningly.
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2010 09:32
Lassie Took drummed her fingers against a tree trunk. Piper had gone off 'exploring' again, the silly girl, and Lassie was determined to fetch her back by tea-time. I knew I shouldn't have told her those stories about Bree, she thought, much less point the town out on a map. Really, Pip can be almost unhobbit-like at times.

Lassie had to admit that she did enjoy the long walks she and Piper indulged in, even if the sisters did go all the way to the Bounds on occasion - as long as they stayed on the correct side of the border.

Where was Piper? Lassie sighed. "'I'll be back soon,' Piper said. But is she back yet? No, of course not. That likely means she's in trouble again. It's up to me to get her out. One of these days I'll let her get in a fine kettle of fish and stay there." Lassie sighed again. "Hold on, Pip, wherever you are. I'm coming." She started through the trees in the direction Piper had taken when she skipped off; her feet made little sound as she lightly stepped along.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2010 10:41
Piper's curiosity dwindled when she saw some of the men coming towards her. She backed away but these men were too fast.

"Take her." one of the men said.

Piper ran, her feet landing softly on the dirt path. Softly enough, she hoped, so the men would not catch her. Leaves and branches tore at her face as she raced to get away. But the ground rushed up to meet her, for Piper had tripped on a root. She looked behind her quickly, to see if the men had caught up. They had. And now she was like a fly in a spider's web, caught. . . . .

Lassie, where are you? Piper had never needed her sister so urgently.

(OOC: Great posts, everybody! )
Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2010 04:35
The man hauled the hobbit lass up and Raegon smirked. He heard a snort behind him and glanced over his shoulder to see Saeron.

'You caught a hobbit lass, well done.' Saeron said sarcastically. Raegon rolled his eyes and beckoned his man to bring the hobbit closer. He clasped her chin in his rough hand and exemined her carefully. A cunning smile played on his lips. He let go of the hobbit and brushed a strand of pitch-black hair out of his eyes.

'Search the area for others.' He ordered his man. They bowed and left. Saeron rolled his eyes and with a sigh he sat down at the campfire. Raegon's intence dark eyes glared at the hobbit.
'What's your name, missy?' He asked with a patronizing tone.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2010 05:00
"What's your name, missy?" He asked with a patronizing tone.

Piper crossed her arms and blew the hair out of her face.

"None of your business. The whole Shire knows you're here, and my sister isn't going to let you take me. She's coming right now with re-re-reinforcements."

Now that was a lie of course. Piper didn't know if her sister was looking for her or not, and, if she was, she probably wasn't prepared to deal with these Big Folk. Captured or not, Piper still had her hobbit sense about her. She needed to know why these people were here and what they were planning to do.

How was she going to find that out?
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2010 10:28
Lassie heard voices ahead - Big Folk, to judge by the noise. Not even Dwarves would make that kind of racket, she thought disdainfully. If Piper had heard them as well, would she be curious enough to get closer and evesdrop? Very likely she would, Lassie decided. Walking silently as only an Elf or Hobbit can, she aproached the clearing the Men's noise came from. One deep and harsh (to Hobbit's ears) voice said something about a Hobbit. Lassie winced at the raucous laughter and slid closer, taking care to stay well-hidden.

A small, piping voice spoke next.

"None of your business. The whole Shire knows you're here, and my sister isn't going to let you take me. She's coming right now with re-re-reinforcements."

They had Piper! Lassie closed her eyes and sagged against the nearest tree. They should never have come so close to the Bounds; she should never have obliged Piper with the tales of Outside learned from Bilbo Baggins; and why, why was it always up to her to get Piper out of trouble?

There was only one thing for Lassie to do that could help Piper. "I'm sorry, Pip, but I'll come back with help," she whispered.

Lassie managed to keep calm until out of earshot of the Big Folk. Then she ran as fast as she could to find help.
Hiril_Elfwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2010 03:17
The dark figure raced along the firm road, the hooves of her black steed thundering. Her slender frame was swathed in slightly tattered robes, the orignal color of which could by now only be guessed at, her hood somehow staying up in the wind of her speed.

The fair haven of Imladris had been her purpose, but there few resided, and those that had remained had directed her toward Mithlond and the wisdom of Círdan the Shipwright. That was her reason for following these strange paths and these roads near the borders of the land of the Halflings—the Shire, it was called. A curious name, to be sure.

She tightened her grasp on the reigns that ran through gloved fingers. The horse had been hers for a long time, ever since she had tamed the great stallion as he ran wild over the plains of Rohan, property of no one. She still did not consider him as belonging to her—if it was his consent to bear her, then bear her he did. It was an idea of her people that she still used stubbornly, despite the nightmarish changes wrought on her body. Her heart still bore the Elvish sentiments and manner that she had been taught so endlessly long ago.

The road came to a fork, and she pulled up hard on the reigns, realizing with dread that she didn’t know which way lead to the Grey Havens and the wisdom she sought. There was no marker that showed which way to go, and her eyesight was dimmed. It was nothing unusual, not to her at least by now, but it meant that even if there had been a marker she would have had to use a lot of effort in trying to decipher the markings. The light of the westering sun brought no aid.

She stared at the two forks. One led farther to the north, the other to the south. She frowned and sat there in indecision for several minutes. North or south? North or south?

At last, with an impatient sigh, she turned her steed’s head to the north at random and plunged forward onto the path and, had she known it, into the Shire.

[Edited on 27/8/2010 by Hiril_Elfwraith]
Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2010 02:44

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raegon chuckled as she said this. 'We are not careless, missy. We know what to do. So, I don't care that much about your name but you are our host now.' He said in a strange friendly tone. He growled softly to himself, now was not the time to get gentle on those who found the ring. He ordered his man to bind the hobbit near the campfire.'

'Make sure she eats. I don't need a dead bait.' Raegon ordered and then he turned to Saeron.

'You are going to watch for intruders. Search the area, the hobbit said something about a sister.' He commanded and Saeron snarled at him. 'I am not your servant, I am your brother.' He growled, making Raegon chuckle again. He stroke Saeron cheek, leaving a red print.

'You are both, you will listen and do my commands. Otherwise you will be my dead brother an servant.' He said and then he settled himself near the fire, a satisfied grin on his pale skin.

Rosson sighed as he walked on, having left his horse to eat. He was traveling, to nowhere in particular. Now he was somewhere in the Shire. He heard his horse Sirdal nicker and the animal trotted to him.

'We've stranded into a strange country again, Sirdal. What would prince Faramir say?' Rosson murmured softly. The horse whinnied and pussed it's muzzle against Rosson's shoulder. Rosson patted the stallion.

'Let's search some adventure, old friend.' He said and he mounted swiftly. He urged Sirdal and they rode on. Rosson looked around, his hand on the hild of his sword. There was someone near.

'Halt, Sirdal.' He commanded in a soft voice. Sirdal stopped running and slowed down. Rosson glanced around. He took out his sword as a hobbit lass came out of the trees.

((OOC: I hope it's alright I let Rosson meet Lassie, perhaps they can travel together and meet Hiril_Elfwraith's character then?))

Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2010 07:43
Piper shivered, despite the warmth of the campfire. But how warm was it really, when she was tied up and in the hands of unfriendly Big folk? Had it only been an hour since she left her home? It seemed like it had been days.

"There lass, food. Raegon says ta eat up. You're no use if ya dead."

A man set a hunk of bread in front of her. Piper glanced up and glared. The man walked away, not wanting to get on the wrong side of this one.

Don't let them think you want it. She thought. But she was hungry, for she did not think to bring food on this escapade. Piper tore into the bread, a little reluctantly at first until hunger overcame her. As she ate, what the man said came back to her.

"You're no use if ya dead."

Maybe she could use that to her advantage. What would they do if she was dead, or at least looked dead? Throw her out of the camp? And then she could run back to her family and warn them about these people.

Maybe Piper could try that tomorrow, for she was too tired to concoct a scheme. She ate the last bits of bread, and lay down on her side. Uncomfortable as it was, Piper knew she had to at least try to sleep, even surrounded by evil men. And to remind her of Lassie and home, she sang softly.

Sing me a story of heroes of the Shire
muddling through, brave and true.
Stubborn as bindweed and tough as old briar
never too showy, or grand.
Year after year, they persevere.
Now and for always.

Harfoots who planted, and Stoorfolk who plowed.
Bred to endure, slow but sure.
Fallohide blood in your veins makes you proud,
sturdy and steady, they stand.
True to their aim, to stay the same.
Now and for always. . . . . . . .
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2010 09:08
Lassie burst out of a thicket, tripped, and landed on the ground in front of a very large horse carrying a very large man, who held a very large, unsheathed sword. She made a sound resembling "Meep!" and scrambled to her feet. What if this Man was part of the group that had kidnapped Piper?

((OOC: Traveling together and meeting Hiril's character is fine by me, Ninimelle.))
Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2010 09:52
Raegon lifted his head as one of the man spoke to him in a used voice, saying the hobbit lass refused to eat. Raegon muttered a curse.

'If she won't, then she won't. But don't be fooled if she plays dead, because you know better.' He snapped and the man left with a bow. Saeron was stiffling his chuckles, making them sound like coughs.

'The lass is much smarter than you, brother.' He said with a grin. 'Weren't you going to search for others?' Raegon snapped and Saeron rolled his eyes. 'No one was in the forests.' He said with a slightly bored tone. Raegon snarled and got up. He walked to the hobbit.

'Your name and where do you life, now.' He demanded fiercely.

Rosson stared at the hobbit girl and quickly sheathed his sword. He dismounted and bent down to one knee.

'Forgive me for startling you, I thought you were someone that was attacking.' He said with a kind smile. He extended his hand.

'I am Rosson, a ranger of Ithilien. And who are you?' He kept his tone soft and gentle.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2010 12:29
"Your name and where do you live, now." He demanded fiercely.

Piper looked up. The leader (or so she supposed) of the men was in front of her with a glare on his face to match her own.

"if you'll excuse me sir, I was trying to find some rest here. And my name and home are my own to give to who I will."

Piper laid back down, ignoring the scary face looking down at her.

((OOC: Ninimelle, hurt Piper! I know that sounds strange, but be aggressive! You hate my kind, even though I'm a child. ))
Hiril_Elfwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2010 03:56
Wind whipped her robes. She reached up with one hand as her deep hood began to slip, jerking it back down over her face, but it had slipped enough to reveal fabric covering part of her face. Her face heated with humiliation, but the racing wind soon cooled it.

She rounded a bend and was forced to jerk up on the reigns. This had to be one of the strangest things she'd ever seen--a Man, Gondorian judging by his garb, kneeling before what seemed at first to be a young girl, but judging from the shape of her form, she was much older than that. Her hair curled around her face in light brown ringlets, and her eyes were a deep shade of pleasant brown. Currently, though, they were filled with worry--and not a small amount of fear.

She wondered. Had she strayed into the land of the Halflings--the Shire? Was this a woman of the Halflings? It could only be.

((OOC: Ninimelle or Lastande, you can use Eruvadhril in dialogue to make the story flow, but remember that she's a suspicious, introverted Elf!))
Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2010 08:52
Raegon glared at the hobbit, his eyes turning slightly reddish as always. He growled and took out his knife.

'See this lass, this is a knife.' He said in a patronizing tone. 'And if it cuts you,' he continued and slashed Piper's arm. 'it hurts.' Raegon's malicious grin spread. He walked to Saeron.

'We will teach that girl some lessons.' He said. Saeron sighed and took out a whip. Raegon snatched it out of Saeron's hands. Then he walked back to Piper.

'Answer me, or else you will get hurt.' He snapped at her.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 03:03
Piper looked over in surprise. She sat up and looked at her arm. The man had-had cut it! Pain crept in, and Piper could feel tears springing to her eyes. But she would not let them see that she was hurt. She had to act like it didn't matter.

"Answer me, or else you will get hurt." He snapped at her, holding a whip.

Maybe it was a good time to do what he said.

"My-my name's Pi-piper and-and I come from-from N-north Cleeve."

Piper backed away from the scary man and called out for her sister.

"LASSIE!"

Where was she?
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 05:00
'I am Rosson, a ranger of Ithilien. And who are you?' He kept his tone soft and gentle.

Lassie relaxed and let the Ranger help her up. "My name is Lassie Took, of Long Cleeve. Peregrin Took is a cousin of mine." Hopefully, telling this Man of Gondor about her relative would make him want to help. "I heard a group of Big Folk - I mean Men - over there." Lassie pointed wildly. "They caught my little sister, and I heard them and ran to find help, and please hurry!" She tugged at his sleeve. "They might hurt her - they sounded horrid. Won't you do something?"

Rosson opened his mouth to answer when a large black horse ridden by a robed and hooded figure cantered into view, coming right at them. Lassie let go of Rosson's arm and dived for cover under a clump of bushes.
Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 05:24
Raegon smiled with pleasure as the hobbit told her name. He was about to walk away, grinning, when Piper screamed. Raegon cursed, turned and smashed the whip against Piper.

'Shut it!' He snapped angrily. His now almost red eyes glared at her and he stepped closer.

'One more scream and I will make you regret that you ever crossed my path.' He snapped and then he turned again to walk away.

Rosson's eyes widened as the horse appeared and he quickly stood in front of Lassie, who's cousin Pippin he had heard of so much from Faramir. He eyed the rider, the hooded figure annoying him because he could not see the features.

He sighed and whispered to Lassie: 'If this is getting into a fight or something, take my horse and go then. You need not stay if this gets hopeless. My horse will lead you to prince Faramir, who knows your cousin.' Then he stepped forward.

'Greetings there stranger, what brings you here?' He asked in a kind, yet suspicious tone.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 06:09
Piper cowered in fear as the man struck the whip against her. She must not cry. She had to be brave, for-for the Tooks. But it was so hard! Where was Lassie? Piper hoped that she was getting help from her cousin Pippin and Master Merry and Master Samwise. Maybe Piper could try that plan of hers. Yes! She would buy Lassie time so the men would not search for her. Piper started coughing. Make it believable. she thought. She fell onto her side as she saw the man turn towards her again. Wait. . . . . . . what was that? A noise in the trees reached her ears. Piper looked up slightly and saw several dim figures.

Back to the ruse! she thought. She must not give these people away.

((OOC: I hope it's okay that Piper sees Lucy_Took's characters through the trees?))
Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 07:29
Cara drew in a deep breath, relishing the sweet air of the land. Alone for a time, she felt herself relax as she gathered firewood. For troublemakers, these halflings certainly have a nice place to live, she mused. The weather was perfect and the wood she stood in was gorgeous. Picking up another twig, she was frustrated to find that she had plenty of firewood and no longer an excuse to linger among the trees. Cara sighed and started back to her company. I wonder if they’ve caught anyone yet, she wondered. Or if Raegon is in a better mood then when I left.

She could hear the leader before she could see him. Apparently good moods are rare for him. Unless this is as good as they get. Cara slipped in the camp and dumped the wood on the ground, looking for the current source of Raegon’s wrath. It was, surprisingly enough, a little girl. Raegon cursed and struck the child. That’s a halfling! Cara realized. So these are the creatures that started the war. This poor little thing didn’t look capable of covering Middle-Earth with darkness. The others of her kind must be different. Or she fakes helplessness well. A sneaky people they are. As Raegon stamped away from the halfling she fell to the ground, seeming to Cara to be quite frightened. Sitting on the edge of the clearing, Cara loosed her dark hair and let it fall over her shoulders. Whatever Raegon’s plan was for coming to this land (he must have one because if he didn’t she would have certainly heard it from Saeron), it was hopefully better than capturing children. That didn’t seem to help men’s domination terribly much.
My blog ensanguining the skies. how heavily it dies. into the west away; past touch and sight and sound. not further to be found, how hopeless under ground. falls the remorseful day.
Hiril_Elfwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 07:29
"Greeting, stranger," the Gondorian said. His tone was not unkind, yet overlaid with suspicion, and she noticed that his hand crept slowly toward the hilts of his sword. "What brings you here?"

"I seek the Havens," she replied, loth to give away evidence of her presence. Her voice was slightly muffled, but it had the distinctive clarity and slight ring of her race. The Man's hand relaxed slightly, but he still seemed wary. "I do not mean harm to any," she added. "Man...or Halfling."

She would have said something more, but her keen ears picked up the sound of a far-away scream. She stiffened, sitting upright in her saddle, cursing the fabric of her hood for once. It sounded like the voice of a child--most likely a young girl.

"Did you hear that?" she said softly. "The cry of a child..."

Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 08:14
Raegon looked up to see Cara. He growled and muttered under his breath.

'So, the missing maiden returns. Have you been enjoying your beauty sleep?' He taunded loudly, so Cara could hear. He saw Saeron roll his eyes at that. Raegon was cursing ever so slightly under his breath, he saw someone in the forests.

'To the forest.' He ordered his man and they left quickly.

Rosson tensed when the lady said something about a cry. He heard nothing, perhaps something muffled.'

'You have good ears, madam. You hear things I don't. You are not human, I hear it in your voice. I hear the same strange tone I heard in the voices of the elves in Ithilien.' He said and with wide eyes he looked at the rider. He heard something in the forest and his tension returned.

'If your ears are indeed keener than mine, tell me what you hear.' He whispered in an urgent voice.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 11:33
Arden waited behind in the shadows,trusting the leader of their small band,his sister close behind him,content to let Rosson deal with the visitor.

Alesea was more suspicious of this traveler than her brother,he had been trained to fight in open battle,where one could tell who was an enemy. She had delved into the study not only of the healer arts,but also in ones that would make her of use as a spy if need be,and in that field,one never knew who to trust.

The Halfling she had little problem with,those could be seen from time to time in her homeland,for King Eomer was on friendly terms with some of their leaders,and it was well known that they were honest folk,and fairly harmless,but this new one,the elf she supposed,as it was obiously not a dwarf or halfling,nor did she sound like a human.

"Rosson,should we not first find more about this-traveler before we go off searching for a sound that we ourselves have not heard?" she whispered.
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 01:31
Lassie came out from the bushes and her eyes widened as the strange rider spoke. The voice coming from beneath the dark hood sounded unlike a Hobbit's and was quite different from the Men she'd heard that day. It couldn't be an Elf; they didn't muffle themselves up like that. Did they?

A faint cry caught Lassie's sharp ears. Piper!

"Did you hear that?" she said. "The cry of a child..."

'If your ears are indeed keener than mine, tell me what you hear.'

"Lord Rosson, I heard it too! It's Piper! Hurry! They're doing something horrid to my sister, and if you won't hurry I'll go back on my own. Please!" Lassie felt ready to start crying any moment.

Hiril_Elfwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 02:20
She looked down. The halfling maid was nearly in tears, and it seemed to be for good reason--if the voice she had just heard was indeed the cry of this halfling's sister (Piper, apparently; quite a strange name it seemed to her)..well, the scream had been one of pain and fear.

Memories from her past rose. They were shadows of her own pain, of past tortures that she had endured, and deep within her, her heart broke for these children--no, Halflings, she reminded herself.

And so she threw caution to the wind and made one of her rare snap decisions.

"I am with you."

((OOC: Somebody had better ask me my name soon! Pronouns are well and good, but they get pretty darn tiresome. ))
Nínimelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2010 09:04
Rosson sighed as he saw Alesea and Arden behind him and heard Alesea speak.

'Alesea, I trust these two. As does your brother, I can see. If they both heard something, it must be there. You know yourself that hobbit ears are better than ours.' He said in a hushed, quite annoyed tone.

As hee looked at Lassie, he saw she was in tears. He bent down to one knee and dried them with his hand.

'No need for crying, Lassie. I am with you, we will get your sister away. And you need not call me lord, for I am no lord.' He spoke softly, friendly and then stood again. He faced the twins again with a soft sigh.

'I will go with these two, you may choose to go or to follow.' He said. Then he gazed at the rider curiously.

'Forgive me for being rude, lady. My name is Rosson and I hail from Ithilien, where I am a ranger of prince Faramir. May I know your name?' He asked with a curious half-smile.
Hiril_Elfwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2010 07:40
She inclined her head to the Ranger. The Dunedain were trustworthy folk, and though she rarely was in the same country as them, the few she had known had been worthy folk.

"I am called Eruvadhril," she replied. She rarely gave out her name, but as long as she would be traveling with these people, they might as well know who she was. She felt no inclination, however, to remove her hood--she almost never did. Trust was a precious commodity, and one that she rarely bestowed and was quick to draw back.

She self-consciously brushed a few spots of mud off her travel-stained robe. Her steed looked forward to examine Rosson, nosing the Gondorian. She tugged softly on the reigns, trying to regain control, but the stallion tossed his head and snorted.
Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2010 12:05
'So, the missing maiden returns. Have you been enjoying your beauty sleep?' He taunded loudly, so Cara could hear.

Cara just shrugged. She would have loved to make a smart comment, but she wasn't going to while Raegon was holding a knife and whip.

Well...maybe she wouldn't at all.

It's that that she was afraid of him, Cara told herself, she was cautious. Caution was a good thing.

Now that Raegon had moved away from the halfling, Cara grabbed some sticks and began reviving the dying fire, sneaking a couple glances at the girl and seeing the marks on her arms. Did he really have to hurt her?

Stop it. Remember what Aethor told you before he died? Halflings are useless. Did they help in the war that killed thousands of men? No - all they do is eat and smoke their pipes.

Her brother had seemed passionate in telling her that, but now Cara wondered if he was just trying to convince her that joining this group was a good thing. Which it was, of course; men were destined to rule. Why not be on their side?

Because you know that this girl is innocent and that hurting innocents is wrong.

But--

'To the forest.' He ordered his man and they left quickly.

Cara glanced up. There were people in the forest - who were they?
My blog ensanguining the skies. how heavily it dies. into the west away; past touch and sight and sound. not further to be found, how hopeless under ground. falls the remorseful day.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2010 12:20
Piper looked at the girl who was tending the fire. She seemed about Lassie's age, maybe a little younger. Maybe she could help her escape. Or tell her about this group of men. But. . . . . Piper didn't want to break her trick. Piper sighed. She probably wasn't going to escape, and if she pretended she was dead, the leader would probably stick a knife in her to be sure. She sat up, looking at the girl.

"Hello?" Piper said. "Who are you? How did you come to be with this horrible group?"

[Edited on 29/8/2010 by Harthad]
Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2010 11:44
Cara’s eyes shot to Raegon, wondering if he heard her speak. What is the halfling doing?

Wonder convinced her to reply. “I am Cara,” she said. That first question was harmless enough. As for the second…Cara mulled over the girl’s words, this horrible group. “I joined with my brother several years ago.” That was neutral--you should be defending it! Aethor would have done so. Why wasn’t she?

“And who are you?” she said, daring to continue their conversation. “It is not wise for young halflings to cross Raegon.”
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2010 12:46
"I-i'm Piper." Piper too, shot a glance to Raegon. But he was arguing with one of his men. "And-and I just wanted to explore the woods here, and go to Bree perhaps. My sister heard that they have the best inn there from our cousin Peregrin and his friend Master Merry, the master of Buckland. They went with Masters Samwise and Frodo, you know, to destroy that-the what was it? I forget what it was, I think it was a ring or something. I'll have to ask Lassie. But my cousin and Master Merry got captured by goblins along the way, so they couldn't help Master Samwise and Master Frodo. Master Samwise and Frodo went to a place called Mordor where they destroyed that whatever it was. And then Master Frodo was wounded by a big black horse and an elf or something so he sailed across the Sea, and Master Samwise was very sad. At least that's what my sister told me. Oh, and my cousin told that he's a knight somewhere, I think he called the place Gondor. I'm not sure. You said you have a brother? Is he here? Is he a knight in Gondor?"

[Edited on 31/8/2010 by Harthad]
Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2010 11:18
Rings, goblins, Mordor, the Sea, Gondor? This halfling--Piper--had quite a family history. Here she was in captivity, frightened, yet telling a complete stranger of her relative’s adventure. Her behavior was queer, but rather darling. Samwise and Frodo... weren’t they the halflings that claimed to be the saviors of Middle-Earth?

“A knight for Elessar?” Cara almost smiled at the thought. “Nay, Elessar is just another elf. My brother is not here, he is…dead.” Her voice caught on the word. She took a deep breath and squeezed her eyes shut to stop any emotion. Although it had been several years since Aethor’s death, Cara still felt it’s pain. She changed the subject.

“Is Lassie your sister?” she asked.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2010 12:01

“A knight for Elessar?” Cara almost smiled at the thought. “Nay, Elessar is just another elf. My brother is not here, he is…dead.”

“Is Lassie your sister?” she asked.

"I'm sorry about your brother." Piper looked down, wondering what it would be like if Lassie wasn't here. True, there would be no one to boss Piper around, but. . . . . . she would feel like Master Samwise, she supposed, sad and lonely. "But I'm sure he would have been a knight! Had he lived. . . . . . . yes, Lassie's my sister. She can be bossy at times, but she's very nice otherwise. But she gets a little angry about me going off in the woods and such. I don't understand. My cousin says that, being Tooks, we're bound to go off and explore at one point or another. And then Lassie argues with him for hours. . . . . . . . it's fun to watch. I hope she comes soon. That man over there-" Piper threw a glance to Raegon. "-he was whipping me, which hurt. But he won't be able to do anything once Lassie and the rest of the Tooks get their hands on him, and the whole group." Piper smiled. "No, because the Tooks are very ad-ad-adept fighters. That's what Peregrin said. He also gave me a bow to use, and a small dagger I think it's called. We were practicing one day and Lassie came out of our hobbit-hole and started talking to Peregrin about 'not giving me weapons until I was of age' or something like that. And then she took the bow and the dagger and hid them. I believe they are in the closet. I do hope Lassie comes soon." Piper paused for a moment. "What was that you said about King Elessar? I don't think he's an elf. But Peregrin told me that he's married to an elf, Galadriel he called her, I think. Or possibly Arwen. I don't know. But he's not an elf."

[Edited on 1/9/2010 by Harthad]
Erunis
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2010 01:06
A young elf rode silently on a grey gelding horse.
She was saddened by the thought of leaving Middle Earth so soon. So soon after her brother's death in the battle of Helms Deep.
It may not seem long to humans, or dwarves, or men, but it was too soon for elves. For her.
"Hiril Erunis!" a young elf walks to her horse.
"Yes," she answered.
"We have found a camp of men. Over that way. They have a hobbit with them. A halfling."
"Is this halfling all right?"
"We do not believe so."
"I will go alone. Go on to the Havens without me. I do not wish to to yet anyways." She broke from the line and rode off towards the place the elf had stated.
'I must have a look. Just to see what thy are doing'
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: September 01, 2010 01:38
Erunis,

Please check your PMs (private messages). Thank you.
BerethEdhellen, RPG Moderator
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email