Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
"Strange" is such an important word! Funny the elves didn't seem to find anything strange.

How about, we remove the "strange" part? So it will be: Some distances make everything seem small. Will that work?
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Ennas haerid i gerir naid bân thio cidinn = There are distances that make all things seem small

How about that?
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
IMO the relative pronoun ought to be plural, in +Nasal (as in gyrth i chuinar "dead ones that live", Letters:417, 1972) and the adjective #pan should show plurality as in The King's Letter. With these added to the mix:

... i cherir[1] naid bain thio(d) cidinn

_____
[1] or alternatively cheiriar < *ceiria- < KYAR- ('cause')

[Edited on 05/16/2014 by Elhath]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren said:Ennas haerid i gerir naid bân thio cidinn = There are distances that make all things seem small

How about that?

That sounds good, Galadivren!

And the next line is... "And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
little.raindrops
Council Member
Send Message
Hi! Can anyone help me translate the sentence "Every breath is a second chance" into Sindarin? I'd also like to know how I would write it with tengwar. Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 05/19/2014 by little.raindrops]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry for not replying sooner...

Elhath - Thank you for reminding me that the relative pronoun also takes the plural, I even teach that so that was a sloppy mistake on my part.

Findemaxam - see above, it should indeed be i cherir not i gerir. I actually translated that second sentence already, should be on the last page of this thread

Little raindrops - The only word that's a problem is 'chance', as there's no direct translation. Actually not sure what synonym would best replace it at the moment, I will have a wee think.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
little.raindrops said:Hi! Can anyone help me translate the sentence "Every breath is a second chance" into Sindarin? I'd also like to know how I would write it with tengwar. Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 05/19/2014 by little.raindrops]

I SPY SWITCHFOOT LYRICS Seeing that made my day

I actually might have had them translate that a while back, along with another phrase, "the shadow proves the sunshine." Although, seeing as Galadivren thinks there are some difficulties with it, I doubt they got around to translating it before. I'm going to have to go back a couple pages and see what I can find
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Alrighty, what about...

Thuil bân [carth/teliad] dadui = All breaths are a second feat

carth = deed, feat on the basis of 'chance' as 'adventure, feat'
teliad = play, using the meaning of chance as 'play'
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Indeed, I wonder if it is at all possible to actually convey the idea of "chance = opportunity" intelligibly enough using only one word, knowing the current (semantic) limits of the material.

Perhaps this could be achieved by using an Old Norse/Old English style compound synonym; a two-part word literally meaning e.g. "mastery-door" or "opening of path".
little.raindrops
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you all for replying so soon!

lotrelessar94: I actually didn't know that... ^^' and I found your post about the translations. It seems that it was kind of forgotten btw I love your profile picture D

Galadivren: I don't think "feat" sounds quite right in that sentence. I see the part "a second chance" as hope and I'd like the translation to convey that as well.

Elhath: I think "opening of path" could work

If we change the sentence to "All breaths open a new/another path", how would you translate it?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Thuil bân edrar men eden = All breaths open a new way/road
Kairosmith
Council Member
Send Message
Hi everyone! My friend wants a tattoo in Elvish that says "friendship, love, loyalty". I was flipping through different resources and found that "gwend, meleth, thorn" were the translations in Sindarin. Is this correct? Also, I noticed there are like 2-5 Sindarin versions for each word in English. Are some words better than others for this purpose? Thanks!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, the first two are correct. You can also have mîl = love, affection.

As Elhath said in the other thread you posted in, you're better off with the word astor = loyalty.
Kairosmith
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Galadivren! All of you are really quick about this!
Ireth Pallanen
Council Member
Send Message
Can someone please translate "You cannot pass!" into Sindarin for me?
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Unfortunately there is no direct verb for 'to pass (someone') in Sindarin.

'Enter' doesn't work as the most obvious synonym, as the balrog isn't entering anything. Perhaps athra- = to cross (to and fro)? Would you be happy with using that?
iangelov7363
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation needed
on: June 11, 2014 06:12
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate it very much if someone could help with the translation of the phrase "Heir of angel's light" into Sindarin and Quenya.

Thanks in advance
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Two options for you:

Hîl o galad rodon = Heir of an Ainur's light (where of means 'from, of', implying the heir comes from the angel's light)

Hîl calad rodon = Heir (of) an Ainur's light (where of does not mean 'from, of', and does not imply the heir comes from the angel's light)

If it was the first meaning you meant, then you could also have:
Hîl e-galad rodon = Heir of the light of an Ainur

If you'd rather have the word Vala instead of Ainu, change the word Rodon for Balan.
Ireth Pallanen
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I think that would work.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Couple of choices then!

ú-athrathol!
= You will not cross! (using the formal ending instead of the informal)
Avathol athro! = You will not cross (using the verb ava- = to refuse)
Ireth Pallanen
Council Member
Send Message
Thank so much for the translation and the promptness! If it's not to much trouble I'd also like another phrase translated.

"The spouse of Orome is Vana, the Ever-young; she is the younger sister of Yavanna. All flowers spring as she passes and open if she glances upon them; and all birds sing at her coming."
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I chervess [Aran Tauron/Araw] Banwen, i ui-neth; te i vuinthel Ivann.
Lothath edlothiar sui athra, a edrar pe glintha am den; a aewath linnar na i doled dîn.

The wife of Orome is Vana, the ever-young; she is the dear sister of Yavanna. All flowers blossom as she crosses to and fro, and open if she glances upon them; and all birds sing at her coming.

i = the
chervess = wife (mutated)
Aran Tauron = Forester King (one option for the name of Orome)
Araw = the other option for the name of Orome
Banwen = Vana
ui-neth = ever-young
te = she is
muinthel = dear sister
Ivann = Yavanna
Lothath = all flowers
edlothiar = they blossom
sui = as
athra = she crosses (to and fro)
a = and
edro = open
pe = if
glintha = she glances
am = upon
den = them
aewath = all birds
linnar = they sing
na = at
i doled dîn = her coming

Edit - I've done this in 'modern' Sindarin. If you want a more archaic feel, please say and I'll edit it slightly.

[Edited on 06/11/2014 by Galadivren]

[Edited on 06/12/2014 by Galadivren]
Ireth Pallanen
Council Member
Send Message
Wonderful! Thank you so much!
iangelov7363
Council Member
Send Message
Many thanks Galadivren
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren said:

Hîl o galad rodon

Hîl calad rodon

Hîl e-galad rodon

Using calad [< KAL-, Etym:362, UT:65] : o chalad, calad, e-galad

Using galad [< ÑAL-*, PM:347] : o ngalad, galad, en-galad

* Treated here like a nasalized stop (i.e. roots elsewhere written with ÑG..), given the Q cognate ñalta and because the S stock word we get is not **alad (as in ûl < 'ÑOL-' back in Etym:378, c. 1940).

Lothath edlothiar sui athra, a edro...

All flowers blossom as she crosses to and fro, and open...

[†ar/adh/a h-] edrar, since it is still the flowers (3 pl subject) opening in the sense of a habitual tense.

Using #be (*?), def. ben "in accordance with" after edlothiar would also work here, i.e. preposed to a phrase meaning "her crossing" or "her steps" (etc.).

[Edited on 06/12/2014 by Elhath]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
edrar, since it is still the flowers (3 pl subject) opening in the sense of a habitual tense.

... Yes, you're quite right, I'll edit that; for some reason I interpreted it as the imperative.
iangelov7363
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren, would be possible to help me one step further and write the phrase "Hîl o galad rodon" not with latin letters but in the actual sindarin alphabet?

Much appreciated
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I'm afraid I can't, I've never taken the time to study Tengwar. I will send you a PM.
iangelov7363
Council Member
Send Message
Ok no problem. Thanks for the effort
lovesindarin
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation
on: June 30, 2014 05:54
Hi can someone plz help me translate this to sindarin? i'm having a bit of a grammar problem

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us."

Thanks in advance
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
This is the second half of your sentence. I used to translate it a little differently, but I think this fits much more nicely into Sindarin. Give me half a minute to do the other half, and I'll either edit this post or make a second.

i giled vîn erui i [echedim/gerim] min lû óniel ammen

Our choice alone is that which we fashion/make in the time given to us

i giled vîn = Our choice
erui = alone
i = that
echedim = we fashion
gerim = we make
min = in the
lû = time
óniel = given
ammen = to us
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
A bân i chuinar an geno i lui hin, ach han ú i giled dîn

And all who live to see these times, but that is not their choice.

A = and
bân = all
i = who
guinar = they live
an = for/to
geno = see
i lui hin = these times
ach = but
han = that
ú = not
i giled dîn = their choosing, their choice

[Edited on 07/01/2014 by Galadivren]
lovesindarin
Council Member
Send Message
Many thanx Galadivren! Much better than my attempt
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
I would follow The King's Letter with pain (*a[r] phain "and all" per synthesis from PE17¹; vs. *na aif pain *"likewise all" << CE *imjā : Q imya ). The relative pronoun + plural verb would in any case definitely become i chuinar according to latest attestation.

A reconstruction for "such" could be e.g. *taed > lenited daed (assuming the word evolved from the same proto-form as Q taitë).

The final possessive pronoun dîn — wouldn't that point to the "times" (instead of the subject, "all" )? If this is the case, one ought to substitute în.

(P.S. IMO, han would be an object pronoun & ha from Etym:385 the subject/nominative one expected here — the former resembling e.g. nin "me, mich" and the latter being similar to e "he" and †he "she".)

_____
¹ One common-source instance of Soft Mutation seemingly appearing with a, i.e. Daur a Berhael in LotR/IV:IV is most likely just an indication of the object of the command, eglerio!

[Edited on 07/01/2014 by Elhath]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I need to stop doing translations at silly o'clock in the evening, I'm rather embarrassed I made the same mistake with cuinar and the plural i relational pronoun... (will edit the post).

Regarding han over ha, I actually purposely made the decision to go with "but that is not their choice" using is as the relational process, instead of "but that is not their choice" using is as part of the pronoun. It could be done the other way, I just felt it gave more emphasis to the 'that' not being their choice. Up to lovesindarin to say which he/she prefers!

The final possessive pronoun dîn — wouldn't that point to the "times" (instead of the subject, "all" )? If this is the case, one ought to substitute în.

Could you expound? It's simply the possessive surrounding the word, 'the choosing their'.
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email