Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2930313233Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I don't have problems injuring, but I cannot bear the thought of killing one of my characters. One of my favorites was suppost to die two chapters after I wrote him in...guess who is still here and is getting married?

But seriously, I think it is normal. Our characters become very real to us, or, in some extent, are people that we already know.

Hello PSK! Glad to have you here!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Hi PSK!

I have recently discovered I can be really mean to my characters, and make them go through some very nasty suff - just because I know they can make it, and I love seeing them come out on the other end stronger for it.
Killing a character that has been just introduced is one thing, but killing one that you've been following for some time now - that's a different matter. And it is difficult, very much so. But sometimes it's necessary, I think.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, you sound like me! lol I think I will be alright now (emphasis on think), & I'm glad it's normal! I actually recovered more quickly than I expected after eating ice cream the whole scene & trying to keep from screaming out loud (my family disapproves of my fangirl ways :/). However, his death shall always be with me :'(
I am getting better with injuring people! But I still need to work on that.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Who ever said that writing was easy? It isn't. Writing is one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. I do it because I love it, not because it is easy.

Even when one of my characters gets injured, I must plan it well ahead of time. One of mine lost an arm...but did so to save someone. You'll be okay, Blue.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, getting injured in order to save someone is an entirely different matter. That's precious! I suppose I'll be passably ok lol However, I think this will call for a resurrection of someone who's supposed to die (I'm thinking a Boromir doesn't die story is in order sometime in the near future!)!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Good idea Blue!

So, Happy Update Day! I am proud to announce that due to Winter Break, I have finished notebook number 86. I am now in, no brainer, notebook 87. The first half of the notebook will be called Planetary. I am very excited for this notebook, because I will be doing major things with my story and my characters.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
*Gives round of applause for Maxie* That is wonderful! Keep up the great work!

Nothing really to report here, I've just been brushing up on grammar and writing techniques to improve my work.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Here is my response to prompt 21!

I bite my lip as I try to ground my shaking legs to the floor of the ambulance. I'm not cold- I'm scared- but a medic tosses a blanket over me anyways.

The beeping of a moniter fills my ears, fast and uneven.Healers bustle around me, busying themselves by cleaning up mt friend. I look out the window. The smoke still billows, the flames are still there, and we haven't started moving yet.

I can't communicate with the doctors in this car because I don't speak their language. I have no idea what they are saying about him.

A hand moves, and reaches out to me. "Lacie?" A voice says, sounding nothing like a human voice.

"I'm here," I say, forcing myself not to look at his face. The burns on his hand are indication enough as to what I will find. "I'm right here, Rian. It's okay.We're going to get you all healed up. It's okay."

Rian sighs, and the noise on the moniter increases. "Don't waste your time."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I don't really have much of an update except that I survived the dreaded death scene & am now falling for another character, which is good! Oh, I did get a rough draft of a new humor story, brought about by Gem & with some help from Mushu. Other than that it's pretty much the same lol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Any sort of progress is good. Even if it seems unproductive or unnessesary.

Last night, I had another really big break through idea. I need to outline it today in my planning notebook, but I do plan on working through it to make it fit better into my story.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yay! I love it when that happens! Although my insight tends to lead to a new story entirely lol But hey, they say as long as you are writing it's good! Which reminds me I need to edit a chapter yet again :/
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm not at all afraid to kill character off. A lamentable trait if you're to believe my family.
Howdy, PSK and Nif!

btw- the cover for my second book is being "revealed" tomorrow over on my blog. I put the link in my signature if y'all want to check it out.

Here's my response to the prompt.

I sit in the back of the ambulance, awkwardly holding a blanket around my shoulders. It would be easier if I wasn’t wearing handcuffs. The only reason I was sitting in the ambulance instead of the back of a cop car was because of the impressive road burn on my shoulder and right leg. My leather jacket had protected my shoulder, but my jeans hadn’t held up their end of the bargain so well. It looked terrible and felt even worse so I’m pretty sure the cop felt bad for me and stuck me in here instead. That and they were trying to find the other person in the accident. The freak who had caused the accident in the first place. He’d been chasing me all day and finally caught up to me and my motorcycle fifteen minutes ago. He was somewhere around, I was sure of it. He hid well in the darkness despite those nasty orange eyes of his and the random bursts of electricity he couldn’t control. The ones he could control? I shuddered just thinking about it. I’d been on the receiving end of those plenty of times in the last week. I still didn’t know what he or his employers wanted with me. I’m sure it had something to do with what I was trying to keep hidden under my shirt.
“How you doing, kid?” the cop stopped by again.
“Just fine, officer. The medic gave me some sort of pain meds,” I replied. No point in being rude. He was nice and Dad had always taught me to be respectful to cops.
“OK, we’ll be leaving here in a few minutes. We have to go to the hospital first. The medic wants to check your leg for fractures. Didn’t your parents ever tell you motorcycles were dangerous?”
I wanted to sniffle at the mention of my parents. I was the strong one now. I’d had to be for a long time for my siblings and the others like me.
“Yeah, but I’m not supposed to listen, right?”
His friendly grin faded into a wordless grimace of pain as he was jolted by volts of electricity. A paramedic stepped around and slammed the doors shut. I wanted to scream as I saw the glint of orange under his hat. The cops hadn’t believed my story of the electric man, no more than they would believe the wings that were threatening to burst forth from my shoulders in my panic. The ambulance started to move. Wasn’t someone supposed to be in here with me? That freak wasn’t a paramedic. That much I knew. My so far absolutely terrific life was about to take a sharp downward spiral again.
The ambulance picked up speed and I was jolted around the bench as the driver began to weave through traffic at a frenzied pace. The deep pounding of my heart overwhelmed any neural activity I tried to muster. The sound only repeated one thing. Run! I had to get out of here! I tumbled to the ground with a cry of pain as we came to an abrupt halt. The doors opened and I saw a young kid grinning down at me. His smile gleamed brilliantly white against his dark face.
“I’m Luke Skywalker and I’m here to rescue you!” he declared.
“Seriously?”
“Nah, I’ve always wanted to say that though. But my name is Luke and I am here to get you away from that freak.”
I grabbed my jacket from the ground and hobbled towards him.
“Oh, hey, let me get that for you,” he reached towards me. I expected him to grab the jacket or undo the cuffs or something, but he grabbed my arm instead. “Check this out!” he grinned. It was kind of contagious. A tingling feeling spread through me, increasing its intensity at my shoulder and shredded leg. I looked down in shock. I was completely healed!
“Pretty nifty, right?”
“Yeah, I’d say so.” I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that he was like me.
He hauled a motorcycle around.
“Climb aboard, miss! If you think I’m awesome then I’ve got a friend you’ll definitely want to meet.”

[Edited on 02/20/2015 by rhodilwen]
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
rhodil, I really enjoyed your prompt for this one! You took it in a way different direction than I did!

By the way, rhodil, how many copies of your book have been sold?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, maxie! I had fun with this one. And it's been so long since I actually responded to one...

Ummmm....I'd say about 60 from websites and stores, and I don't know how many I've sold from my supply at book signings and to friends and stuff. It's a lot of work to be published!!! lol!! The second one just got sent off to the printers!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome aboard, PSK!

Great prompts, Belle and Maxie! And Rhodi, I loved yours. I am intrigued. Is it from a book? Or will you be writing a book with it?
Oh, and I've searched twice for your book, 'The Rise of Aredor', in two separate Barnes & Noble stores. Both times it has been out of stock. It is unbelievably frustrating. But is that a good thing that it's been out of stock?

Keep up the good work, everyone!

[Edited on 02/21/2015 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Same up here, rhodil! I would think that it is a good thing, though. I think one of my favorite things to do as an author will be book signings. I can't wait!

rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I just don't know how many stores actually stock it, so y'all might have better luck just ordering it. It's cheapest on Amazon I think.
Book signings are fun! It's taken me a few to really get comfortable with it though. The first few times, I was really nervous!!

@mareth- thanks! It's an idea that's kinda been floating around in my head for years and I've never been brave enough to go with it. It'd be a X-Men type story. But thanks to maxie's prompt I've been thinking on it a bit more recently!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
You could always write a new book on it when you are done with your next few books in "Aredor!"

Rhodil, perhaps you and I will go on a book tour together.

Has anything strange happened to you at a book signing, rhodil?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I've finished the Aredor series, buuut I have a longer Christian based fantasy series that I'm planning. I have one book written and at least five more storylines in various stages of development. Ha ha! One day I need to prioritize everything, because I have even more stories lying around!

Maxie- we should some day! That would be fun! I can't think of anything really strange that's happened. I have met some cool people though! And there's a Comic Con in my area in about three weeks that I'll be a vendor at, so maybe I'll have some stories after that!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Rhodil, I did find your prompt very interesting! (Yes, I've actually been reading them, even though I'm freaked out about ambulances lol) Congratulations on your book! I totally love the cover for your latest one! My stories just fizzle out after a few pages most of them time. Anyway, I'm so happy for you! I definitely need to read your Aredor books! How many are there?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, rhodil, I forgot to tell you! Your new cover is beautiful!

I am currently planning on seeking publication while I am in college. Too much college prep and school going on to get into that now! I will keep you all posted on what is up, though, as I trek through.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Good job on the prompts, everybody! I still hope to write something for this, but haven't gotten anything done yet.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
@Blue- there are only two in the series. Although I am accumulating many short stories that my sister is trying to get me to publish in their own book. We'll see. I also have another story set in the same "universe", where some of the character from the Aredor stories appear. But I haven't worked on it in awhile. I do want to finish it some day.

@maxie- trying to keep up with college courses and write and deal with publishers is no fun either! It takes up a lot of time! But definitely doable. Good luck with finishing out your semester! You sound busy!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, alright then! A book of short stories sounds interesting too! Good luck, Rhodil!

And Maxie, college was a lot of hard work for me & I know there's no way I could ever have been writing as much as I do now while I was in college. Although I guess if you count all the papers I wrote I technically did a whole lot more! So I would caution you to focus on your studies primarily & push writing to the side. However, you also need that time for yourself where you put school aside & relax, which I should have done more often. So perhaps writing could help you in that way! & I guess if you'll be studying creative writing you could probably meld your writing & schoolwork at some points.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, very soon, school and writing will become one! Haha. I was looking at the prices for my top colleges earlier and they made me want to throw up...so expensive.

Remember, new prompt up tomorrow, at a little after 2 PM EST, unless school gets cancelled!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt Number 22:

Write a letter to your ten year old self.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is the end of February, and already, I am beginning to think about National Novel WritingMonth, which begins in November. The premise of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words in a story during the month of November. Many of us participated last year, and I would like us all too this year!

But...it is very hard to write 50,000 words in a month, cold turkey. Which is why, beginning March First and running through March Thirty first, I would like to prepare myself for NaNoWriMo by writing 10,000 words.

I see you all here on the forum--you are all very gifted people. There is no reason why not to at least try this! You can sign up for NaNo if you want, but I highly encourage it. I think you can make an account now, still.

But, you ask- "How do I track my progress?" I have looked into this, and found a great app called NaNo Progress. You pick a project name and update your word count as you go. Best of all...its free! Multiple users can even use the same app, as you can create multiple projects. Keep in mind,you do not type or write your novel or story in the app.

Anyone want to join me?

Speaking of apps, I also propose a new idea: Tech Wednesday. I would do Tuesday, but that is write (ha, get it?) after new prompt day, and this may get overwhelming. Simply, I will write about a new app, website, gadget, etc. that helps writers. I will download it and write a brief review here. Then you all can decide if you want to look into it! Best thing about this is that if you find something you want to share with us, let me know...and you can write your own review about it. Just please inform me before hand so I know. Also, if there is a conflict where two of you want to write a review in the same week...the second person to request it will get the next week. Fair?

Nay or yay to these ideas? This is your thread, too!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Prompt response:

Dear 10 year old Self:

Yes, you are skinny. Yes, you take ballet and don't have any boyfriends or any friends outside of your dance classes. However, you will find your true calling in a few years. You will have pain, but you will grow stronger from it. You will learn wisdom and who truly you can call friend.

Pursue your dreams, even if in the end you find that wasn't really what you needed. You cannot hide from yourself and you'll see that one of the things you said you wanted to be as a truly tiny child will come to fruition.

Don't give up, whatever you do. When you fall, pick yourself up and carry on. When you finally get here, you will see that all that you have experienced made you the compassionate, caring person you have become. You will remain young at heart, a true friend, and one who does not suffer injustice to anyone lightly. Carry on and keep the torch burning inside you. The things that drive you will change with time, but you will always be you, no one else. Unique and different, still misunderstood at times, but with those that love you.

With love,

Your future self
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Belle, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Great ideas, Maxie! I would like to try writing 10,000 words in March...we'll see what happens.

As far as apps go, unless you can use them on a computer, I don't have any device to use apps on. But that sounds like a helpful app!

And I like the idea of Tech Wednesday.

Great prompt, Belle! I have no idea if I will get this one done or not. There are many things I would tell me ten year old self, but I just have to figure out how to write it so that it makes sense you everyone.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, those are good ideas, Maxie!
I will once again have to contemplate the prompt. I actually had to do something similar to this for a class; I had to take what I was learning & in light of that write a letter to myself one year from that day. I was supposed to get it back but never received it through the mail. I suppose they were forgotten or my address wasn't clear! But it was an interesting experience nonetheless.
Belle, I'm so glad you've been sharing with us! Your letter is so wise.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Thanks, folks! I'm 62 and have seen and done a lot in my life. While I have learned much, inside in many ways, I am still the same person I was at 10 years old. My father's mother answered my 5 year old typically thoughtless question of "How does you feel when you're old?" with a lot of wisdom. She told me that though she had a lot of aches and pains, inside she was still the person she was at 5 years old. I took it to heart and have followed her lead. My body may have gray hair and hurt in a lot of places, but my heart is still young and eager to learn and enjoy the wonder of the world.

My son did something like that in high school. He just received the letter last year from his previous teacher, who has long since retired. He's now 27 going on 28 and is in the military. We chuckled over the letter, realizing truly he is still basically not that much different. It's a good exercise. Think of who you are, the good and the bad and encourage yourself to do your best. No one can do anything better and even if we make mistakes, we need to learn from them and move on, not letting them destroy us. Take care and have a good one (day AND life!).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will psot the first Tech Wednesday tomorrow.

Belle, your prompt response was so enlightening. I loved it. You are very wise.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, yay!!

I just added up my word count from my last two posts in the Darkest of Days roleplay. The total (which includes some restating of other people's work) is 2,855 words in the past week.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Impressive, Song! I've been trying to keep up with that RP & it's so sad!

But that reminds me: Maxie, for our monthly word count, do you want it on just one story, or everything we're working on? I've actually been counting my words each month since November & not pushing myself, I average about 1000 words a day & 35,000 a month. But that is on multiple stories, & prompts when I do them.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
One story a month. It should help with finishing and completing projects as well. Like a mini-NaNoWriMo.

Happy Tech Wednesday!

Today, I am going to review a website and app, that would be good for any reader and writer, since all writers who want to improve should read. It is called Goodreads. Goodreads allows you to rate and explore books of different genres, as well as review and read reviews by other people who have read the book. You can create an account and create your own personal library, where you can store booklists.

I have two problems with the site-one, it can, at times, be incredibly slow. Even with a secure WiFi or other Internet connection. Many times, people post GIFs or other pictures that slow the site down. Second, language and adult content is permitted on the site. Language, especially, is a problem when reading a review. I have not yet experienced the slow dragging with the app, but I will keep you all up to date on how it works. Overall, though, great site to explore authors and books in your prefered genre.

<< First2930313233Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email