Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
a quick word of warning on lulu.com. My sister told me that if you want to see about publishing with a company, you can't if you've gone through the process with lulu. It gives you a barcode and basically copyrights it, I think. I'll have to double check, but basically a book company won't be able to publish it (if that's what you want later). I was looking into using lulu before I found the company I'm with now.
Also, I'll have some pre-release copies of my book shortly after Christmas if anyone wanted one. We'll be selling them at a discounted price to do some pre-release marketing. PM me if you're interested. It won't be wide-released for about another 2-3 months.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I know I'm not supposed to post like a million things in a row, but my book is also now available through Tate Publishing, if you'd like to order one. The official release date won't be for another two months or so.
just follow the link below
https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-62854-194-6
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will check that out, rhodil! Im so excited!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Here's the first two paragraphs of my short story I'm writing for and English project in school. If it's bad, just tell me. I haven't edited the whole thing yet. I'm not sure if it's going to stay like this or not. If you want to hear the rest of it, I'll PM it to you if you want.

My ears twitch at every rustling leaf. No one is here with me. No one is following. I’m safe. I run forward, making as little noise as I can. My hair is pulled back into a messy bun that is bouncing lightly over my head. I remove the band so it can float freely behind me. The cliff is approaching. I close my eyes and imagine the path that I have taken so many times in front of me. Counting each step, I think over the routine. Ten steps left. I take a deep breath. Three, two one. My feet leave the rocky edge and clap together in the air. My body in a straight line, plummeting towards it’s destination. Within seconds, my fingers have broken the ripples of the waters surface.
Once my body is totally emerged, I began to transform. My hair grew two feet longer and turned to a bright blonde. My skin replaced with iridescent, teal and green scales that stretched from my ankles to my neck. Skin pealed away from my neck to create breathable gills. Transparent webs formed in between each of my fingers. My transformation was completed when my legs mold together to make one, long, slippery tail that ended in two fins at the bottom. I gasped in more water and swallowed it through my gills. This is how I was born, and this is how I will die. My name is Immladriel. I am a real, living mermaid.

Feedback please!! I'm still not liking the whole thing.... :/
I actually clipped alot of it out because I just found out that my story can only be 5 pages long and it has to be double spaced. Maybe I should write it instead...

[Edited on 12/18/2013 by RodwenAravilui5136]
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Awesome! I love it! The only bit I would even consider changing would be the but about 'avoiding every possibility to make noise'. It doesn't seem to flow as well as the rest of it.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
PM me if you'd like some suggestions. Too long to put into a post here. A few technical things that need to be fixed, but the premise holds a lot of potential, Rodwen. I used to be an archivist for a couple of Star Wars sites and have authored more than one thing. Also, used to be a member of Romance Writers of America.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Will you read some of the things Ive written, Belle? I think a few pages back, I posted the first few paragraphs of a story I have written.

I read Rod's story the other night when I was at her house, so she knows I love it.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, wolfbladequeen, you and I must think alike. I was going through and editing my story today before I read this and I wondered why I even worded it that way. Sometimes my brain can't think of what to write so it just puts something there, whether it makes sense or it doesn't. That's why I go back multiple times before I hand anything in. Which is what I would've done before I postd this. Here, I'll go back and edit it now, the way I have it now so you can see what it'll stay like.
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!
Okay! I'm sorry but I have to do this! I usually never double post, but ok.
So For the story I've been talking about is done. You know why? MAJOR PLOT TWIST. Turns out, everything ISN'T REAL. It's just a girl WRITING the story from the outside! Sorry for the spoiler, I just had to tell someone and no one here cares, meaning my home. So… yeah. If you want to know what I'm talking about, PM me.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
lol!! I'd love to read the rest of it, Rod. I liked the bit you posted up there!

@Bella- that's awesome! What do you like writing?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ooooo, thats a good twist, Rod, Im so proud!
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, but Miss. Hartman (my Enlglish teacher) doesn't seem to like it too much. She said its too long and drawn out compared to the other short stories people wrote. *feeling upset*
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Long and drawn out? I used to get into trouble for not finishing my stories, when I had already written loads more than everyone else!
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Hahaha. Yeah, well. She has to read a whole classes papers so maybe she's too lazy to follow mine. *shrugs* I don't want to argue with her.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Short Story is an oxymoron, Rod. Don;t concern yourself. It was beautiful, have you ever considered RPing? You just have that vioce that would fit nicely into a RP story.

My little sister just called me a nerd because I announced that I have 1700 posts.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I wouldn't mind reading the rest of the story myself, Rod.

How is that nerdy?
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
It's not nerdy, maxie, it just means that you have many important things to say, unlike me who has been a member for years and only now getting close to 400. lol!!!

How were everyone's holidays? I've been terribly lazy, but good new for me, I'm almost done with the story I'm working on now. =)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My holidays were very good! I will soon be driving!

In Creative Writing, since the semester is nearly over, we had to write a term paper on who we were as a writer. I shall post it in here: (Brace yourselves for excessive wordiness )

Words that describe me when I write are diligent, productive, and music oriented. I always get a lot done, not matter what I writem and the music definitely helps the word flow in that sense. A word to describe my writing, especially the poetry, would be melodic. I like to take the time to see how the sound of each word affects the over all sentence or stanza. Some words to decribe my stories, especially the one I am working on now, are action based, controversial, and psycological, by which I mean that I try to show how different circumstances can affect the human mind. With that said, genre wise, I tend to gravitate towads fiction, and as for the genre's within that, thriller, adventure, and maybe this time, romance. In English, I recently learned that the genre that best describes my writing is "Gothic Age." I compared some of the elements of that style to things I have writing, mostly my fiction stories and not poetry, and found that many are very similar. I am also most partial to fiction and the underlining sub-genres, but through exposure in class I have become much more confident in writing poetry. I believe that a strong writing technique I have is my diction. I have also done so much better on my pacing than I have in recent years. I also use repetition alot, and have recently begun to use symbolism. Another technique I use is first person voice, with changing perspective. My writing habits are to write as much as possible, every day, even if I feel a part is weak or could use improvement, especially when I have writers block. Then, on a better day, I go back, and revise. My strength include my preference for detail, theme development, and character relatability.
The units that were particularly helpful to me were writers tools, fiction, and creative nonfiction. The writers tools helped me better develop ideas and different parts of stories, especially pacing, The fiction benefited me in a number of ways, first by affecting my assignments in English class, and second with creating beleivable events and characters. Creative nonfiction helped me write better and more interesting essays, especially in classes like AP World and Earth Science. AS a whole, all of the units helped me, giving me exposure to genres and styles I usually wouldn't be working with.
If I could improve one thing with my fiction writing, it would be to show more and tell less. It's easy to simply say how badly someone can be injured or how angry they are, but it is so much more interesting to describe it more. I also need to be better at revising, taking constructive critism, and writing outside of my comfort zone. I could also improve my author's notes, which explain why I wrote a peice, the concept of putting certain techniques into practice, and the use of different rhyme schemes. Some things that will help me be a better writer are of course writing more, and reading. I would also like to speak to some professional writers to hear about their experiences and advice.
I have many future goals in regards to my writing. I would like to be a Creative Writing major in college a few years down the line, with a minor in English Lit. I would love to be published and write as a full time job, especially for a magazine or Associated Press. It will be difficult, because there are a lot of people pushing for a job in the same field, but I feel like I wouldn't be happy doing anything else but that. I would also like to teach other people how to write by teaching a class. Another job I would be especially find of is an editor or a proofreader.
Overall, taking creative writing really helped me. It gave me experience I would otherwise not necesarily get anywhere else. I look forward to going on to Journalism next year.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Here is something else I have written. Ignore the underlines and italics and bolds if they show up, it was like that for editorial purposes.

The trees tremble,
an ageless ramble,
like the twisting dance of
a wistful phantom,
slowly they glide,
in the winding whisps
and gusts,
the wind forcing branches into a painful bow,
the ageless dance of shadows.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I wanted to share these song lyrics with you. THEY ARE NOT MINE, but they are inspiring a new story of mine.

"Fire And Fury"

By Skillet

Every brick and every stone
Of the world we made will come undone.
If I... if I can't feel you here with me.
In my sleep I call your name
But when I wake I need to touch your face
'Cause I... I need to feel you here with me.

You can stop the aching
'Cause you’re the one I need.

I will burn, I will burn for you
With fire and fury. Fire and fury.
My heart hurts, my heart hurts for you.
Your love burns within me with fire and fury.

If I freeze you are the flame.
You melt my heart, I'm washed in your rain.
I know you’ll always have the best of me.
Destiny’s got a hold on me.
Guess I never knew love like love knows me
'Cause I... I need to feel you here with me.

Let it all fall down to dust.
Can’t break the two of us.
We are safe in the strength of love.
You can stop the aching
'Cause you’re the one I need.

Your love burns within me.
It burns, it burns, it burns, it burns.

rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for sharing, maxie! Those are great!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Much!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm happy because I finished my latest story the other day! I've been working on it for about a year. Next step is to type it all out from the notebooks it occupies!
How's everyone else's writing going?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Good! I am currently *supposed* to be working on a final portfolio for Creative Writing. But I'm almost done, so I justified CoE.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
I was writing a poem about gummy worms yesterday in my head so maybe it should go on here…
Gummy Worms~ Sydney
Edible
Incredible
Rainbow Half-and-Half
Bendable
Dependable
Make You Want To Laugh

They'd Smile But They're Faceless
They Get Stuck In Your Braces
They Wriggle
You Giggle
Chewy, Yummy, Greatness

Adorable
Affordable
Great For Birthday Gifts
You Meet Them
You Eat Them
Swallow, Spirit Lifts

When They're Gone You're Depressed
You Get That Pain In Your Chest
They Make You Cry
Yet, Satisfy
And Then You Know You've Been Blessed
They've Filled Your Every Request
So Say Goodbye
And Wait For Time
To Let Those Gummies Digest
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Awww that's so cute!
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
I'm saving that. Loved it!
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
What was the inspiration for that, Rodwen Dearie?
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
And if you get inspired again try marshmallows. I'd love to have somethng to recite when I'm eating them. Lol.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will write that for you, LadyElarinya!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Here goes...

Marshmallows

White and fluffy,
soft and chewy,
perfect and whole,

out of the bag,
in a mug of hot chocolate,
or in a s'more,

they are wonderful,
formed like snow on a hill,
sweet and delicious.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
Haha! I loved it!

The first part I heard it with gollum's voice. That scene where he sings "Our only wish, to catch a fish, so juice sweeeeeet". Nice rhythm for the verse. *.*
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
LOL, thanks, it was just random unscripted type. Improv, I guess you could call it.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
I bought a bag of gummy worms from Dollar General and I was singing a made-up song (that^) in my head as I chewed through each one. Thinking of making a video of it…. But I have a copy of it printed out if you want it Maxie! Thanks LadyElarinya! I feel honored to have people like my poems! They never turn out that good. I just hope other people see it. Hey, do you mind if I try making a marshmallow one too? That'd be fun!! Okay here it goes, right from my mind…

Marshmallows-
Open Bag *POP*
Grab Smile Drop
Chew Swallow Taste
These Won't Go to Waste
Licks Lips Yum
Better Than Gum
Perfect Bite Size
Beauty to the Eye
Gooey Squish White
Great in Every Bite
Bag Empty Smile
I'll Be Happy For Awhile

[Edited on 01/22/2014 by RodwenAravilui5136]

[Edited on 01/22/2014 by RodwenAravilui5136]
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
That was awesome too! Well done!

Now only need a melody to go with it, hehehe.
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email