Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I wrote this poem to go at the beginning of my second book (sequel to the one getting published). I wrote it as kind of a lament of a past king. What do y'all think?

Death in front of me
And death to the sides.
But I cannot go back.
They fall by tens of hundreds,
My brothers who trusted me.
Can I now lead them out?
Who can survive this reckless advance?
Will we yet all perish?
But faithful till the end
When death comes for all.
They follow by tens and tens of hundreds
My brothers who trusted me.
Light shines in their eyes,
They hope to follow me
And defy Death to the end.
Yes, by tens and tens of hundreds
We stop the advance.
By horses-our speed
And spears-our strength
The sword will guide us home.
Death comes not today.
A victory for me,
A victory for my brothers,
Yes, a hard-won victory.
But no rest-the enemy is powerful.
We can but fight-even to the end.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
That's was awesome!! I love it!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Woah! *stares at the screen open-mouthed* Woah!
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, I signed up for NaNoWriMo, and I'm am scared! *bites finger nails* Any of you guys doing it?
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
good luck, Mareth!! I wish I could, but it's getting to the busy part of my semester and I'm afraid I wouldn't have the time. It sounds like a lot of words in just one month. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to!
ps. you'll be awesome!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Rhodil! I'll try!
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I've signed up, but I don't get how to start after that. Help please?
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds great, rhodil!

Wolfie, you can start anywhere you'd like! just start a story and write it from beginning to end! Or just Google creative writing promts.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
But where on the website do you go to to start your story? I couldn't find the place.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry, Im not sure about that, Wolfie.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, Wolfie, you use any program you already have on your computer to type it out. Or you can use a notebook. I'm using both computer and notebook. I use Open Office on the computer. It has a word counter thingy. If you choose to write in a notebook, or if the program you are using does not have a word counter on it, you can type/copy paste your words into this: http://www.wordcounter.net/ I'll tell you how to add your novel on there if ya want Wolfie.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
OK, so I wrote this piece because I was inspired by all the quotes about writing that are on my wall in my room.

Writer

Writers see the world differently.
Every voice heard,
every face seen,
every hand touched,
could become story fodder.
Writers who cannot distinguish
truth from a
piece of toast
will never be able to write good
fiction.
The wastebasket
is a writers best friend.
Once grammar and spelling is learned,
the hardest part is figuring out
what to say and
what not to say.
Two conflicting feelings exist-
that the writer is a unique genius
or that the writer is spiraling towards failure.
A writer has no vacation-
all of life is either writing or thinking of writing.
Writing is a struggle against silence.
It is the best way to speak without
inturruptions.
You can be hurt,
but still enjoy it.
There is nothing to writing- you just
sit down to do so and bleed.
The worst enemy to creativity is self doubt.
Be courageous and write in a
way that scares you a little.
And if you see a writer asleep with a pen
in hand, do not remove it.
They could be writing in their dreams,
fueled by a once upon a time.

-Julia *insert last name here*
*Inspired by quotes from Buffy Andrews, Beryl Bainbridge, Scott Lynch, Eugene Ionesco, Jules Renard, Holly Ereth,Terri Guillemets, and Sylvia Plath.

What say you?
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Gapes at screen* That was awesome! Mind if I share it on NaNoWriMo?
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Amazing! What quotes are they? I would love to see what inspired such an awesome piece of writing!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Wonderful work Maxie.
Ahem.
Once grammar and spelling is learned
Tut tut, are learned, surely. (I know! How much more annoying can I get, right?)
The BBC Reith lectures this year were by Grayson Perry who quoted an anonymous schoolgirl - "An artist's job is to notice things."
Words, words, words. Not just their meaning but the historical and cultural resonances they evoke. And then the sound of them, the raw primal music to our jaded modern ears, drenched as we are in the torrent of glossomanic triviality. (Wow, I'm on fire today!)
Keep at it all, stay on your toes, dancing.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I wrote this song recently, but it doesn't have a name yet. My and my friend's ideas are: Story of War, War Story, War Child, and Children of War.

Yesterday I cried for the whole sad world,
Silent tears in the darkness, as the story unfurled,
Of a little girl hiding for no fault of her’s,
‘Cos it was the soldier’s fault but the blame he transfers.

He was the one who didn’t care enough,
To help a guiltless child, when her life gets tough,
He’s the one who killed her family, and he’ll murder her too,
He’s thinks it’s just another duty, in a war he must get through.

Is there anyone who deserves a life,
If not a sinless innocent, hurled into pain and strife?
Is there no one left who cares for a child,
I don’t think life is worth living if you haven’t ever smiled.

This grief hurts so bad, I curl up in the pain,
And I think of what she went through and the heartlessness is plain,
She was terrified and prayed to God but heard no answering call,
Just the sound of soldier’s footsteps, the other side of the wall.

He raised his rifle and took aim, but stopped when he saw her face,
Because she looked just his sister from another time and place,
But his sister took a bullet, when he refused to kill,
And he sees he has no choice or his mother’s blood they’ll spill.

Do you think he really deserves to die?
He’s not yet eighteen and he is forced to live a lie,
Is there no one left who cares for a child,
I don’t think life is worth living if you haven’t ever smiled.

He shoots, and she dies,
They all laugh, while he cries,
He didn’t want this,
He just wants to go home, and find his girlfriend’s face to kiss.

I was tucked up safe, it was all in my head,
But there are many girls and boys who will not rise again from bed,
There was nothing they could do, but we can help to change their fate,
We just have to stand up strong and call for violence to abate.

Every one of them, deserves to live,
There must be many broken innocents whose safety we can give,
I’m sure there’s someone left, who will care for a child,
At the very least, we could show them how to smile.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love it, wolfie! War Child sounds fine! Yes, Mareth, share away, and you know my last name, so your good. You can say it to give me credit and I shall be FAMOUS! How's NaNoWriMo going? Almost over, that's for sure. Thanks, tarc! Have you done any writing you wish to share, or are you just lurking on here? Just kidding, of course.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Pretty cool, Wolfie.

Thanks Maxie! And I actually won't finish in nearly a month...it's taking much longer because I keep getting stuck. It's very exasperating.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
I'm stuck in a ditch right now. I keep trying to write SOMETHING but it NEVER turns out the way I want it too. I guess my writing days are over.
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am about to lecture you verbally, Rodwen, since we are sitting in the same room.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
….My Advice….:

JUST.WRITE. IT!!!!!!!!!!!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
lol!! Are you working on anything in particular right now, Rodwen?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The last I knew, she was waorking on a story she had started in 4th grade, I think. Im her editor.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
If you ever get stuck writing just start putting down random phrases that make no sense. Like 'five little duckies eating pizza in a row'. Now you have something to work with. You'll probably delete it later but just keep writing random stuff until your brain puts out the really good stuff.
At least that's what works for me.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im my creative writing class, my teacher gave us a bunch of writing promts.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I don't think my book will be out by christmas, but it will be shortly after. They had to resize some of the illustrations and I haven't gotten the final final proof back yet. =(
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Aww.... Getting a book published sounds complicated. How long will your book be?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
It is. I signed a contract last January and the process started in May and has lasted until no. It's a little over 300 pages long. =)
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I will try that, starofdunedain...
Lets see...

Six squiggly piglets were eating supper. The littlest piggy squealed and said her food was too hot, the biggest piggy snorted and said his food was too cold.

And the other piggies all squealed and snorted 'too hot! too cold! whatever shall we do?'
The mummy of the piggies told them to go and seek their fortune... er, i mean, to go and make their own supper. But she told the littlest piggy to stay with her until the others got back. The largest piglet moaned, because it was wet and muddy outside. The littlest piggy, however, groaned and grumbled. She liked it outside in the wind and the rain.
And all of the other piglets moaned and groaned 'too wet! too muddy! too dry! whatever shall we do?'
And the piggies all went outside, except for the littlest, who said to her mummy, 'can't I go too?' But her mummy said no.
The largest piggy went and found a massive clump of mushrooms. He gorged himself on them until he was full, and he let out a gigantic burp. But he wouldn't let the other piglets eat his mushrooms. So he lay on top of them, and he was so full that he fell asleep. The second smallest piggy found nothing at all. He was very hungry, and couldn't sleep at all on the muddy ground. His stomach grumbled.
And all the other piggies looked from one to the other, and they burped and their tummies rumbled and they said 'too full! too empty! whatever shall we do?'
There were three piggies left, and a massive forest, so they split up to find food. The oldest of these tripped down a small but steep bank, and could not get back up it again. He whined and whinge and whimpered at this. The youngest of these three climbed a tree, looking for honey, and got stuck up there. He cringed and crumpled and crawled, but could not get down.
And the last piggy whinged and cringed, and said 'too high! too low! whatever shall i do?'
This piggy was clever, so he ran back home,into the warm and dry pigsty, and he talked to his sister. She cleaned up the mud on his back, and slipped outside. And when the mummy piggy came to talk to her daughter, he said, in a very high voice, 'hello mummy! how i hate the cold and the wet. how glad i am i did not go out!'
The mummy piggy was also clever, and noticed this apparent change of heart. She looked outside just in time to see her only daughter disappear behind some trees. But she smiled at her son, and said, 'no one needs to know.'
The youngest piggy stayed outside the whole night, exploring, and munching on a truffle or two, and in the morning she was home before all of the others.
They all trudged in, looking very shamefaced. But the mummy piggy smiled again, and said, 'maybe next time you should just take what i give you to eat.'
And forever after, they did. All except for the youngest piggy. She would go foraging every evening, and exploring every night. She slept in the day, so she soon became friends with the creatures of the night. She and her friends the mice would travel far, and one night she did not return.
But her mummy was not afraid for her, because she ha had a wonderful dream, about her daughter a a piggy prince from a land far away.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well done, Wolfie, lol.

Goodness, rhodil! I can't wait to read your book. Since I am looking into publishing, how did you start the process of getting someone to look at your book?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
hee hee! That was pretty good, wolfie!!

@maxie- When I first started thinking about publishing, I basically googled publishing companies. But I found that a lot of them don't accept manuscripts unless you have already published or have a publicist and marketing person, (neither of which I had). But I found Tate Publishing, a family owned, christian publishing company that takes manuscripts. I submitted mine via their website and I think they get back to you if they want to go ahead with your story or not.
So, you can try your luck with searching for other companies, that's just what I've found. Just make sure your manuscript is in tip-top shape, (grammer, spelling, plot flows, etc) My company basically told me that good grammar and spelling was a main reason they like my manuscript.
If you feel like you have any gaps in your story, have someone else read it that could accurately make corrections. I had my older sister look at mine. She has her masters in english and she really helped me get mine presentable.
I hope that helps and if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to try and help!! Good luck!!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for our advice, rhodil! I will probably have someone look at it first before I go ahead and jump in.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I've heard from others that lulu.com is a very good resource for getting started in publishing. I also want to mention kickstarter.com as a possibility for getting off the ground. I've never done a project myself, but I have pledged to several projects that were successfully funded and published and have always had an excellent experience.

[Edited on 12/10/2013 by starofdunedain]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will check both of those sites out.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I kinda wanna write more but i REALLY don't have time!!!! I don't know what to write about either...
"A sprinter learning to wait."
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email