Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
There's some big site with a bunch of Tolkien fan fiction on it. Hopefully I can remember....ok, it's literally tolkienfanfiction.com
There's a bunch of neat stuff on there. Has anyone been in there?
I've finally got back to working on a story I started last december. I've made some great strides this summer but summer school kinda put a block on it. ah well. I'm off to see if I can scribble a sentence or two. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
No, Ive never ben there, but I will check it out. have fun re-writing, or getting back into writing!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, so I just wanted to tell people because I'm so excited- editing is done on my book and we're about to move into cover design. I'm really hoping the book will be out by this Christmas. That's all really. I'm excited and hopefully not to annoying. lol!!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I love writing! But only when I feel like it, which unfortunately isn't often. And I have a story to write for English: 'about a relationship between family/friends, with a disagreement between them and a main piece of scenery that reflects the disagreement' and I am really struggling. I just have no ideas. I can't write on demand! And not on something so specific...
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I wanna read your book, rhodilwen!!! I already told you that multiple times, but I do!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
So do I! Wow, this thread is OLD!

here's an idea for your assignment, Wolf: Mother and a daughter arguing about a recent divorce, with the mother's wedding ring as a symbol to reflect the disagreement. Just a suggestion, Im sure you may be able to think of other ideas.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh, mice one! I mean nice one, but I like mice *giggles randomly* Thanks!
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
No problem!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, guys! I got the cover design for my book finished and it looks awesome!! I really wish I could show y'all but I can't at the moment. =(
How's everyone's writing coming?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Good! Im taking a creative writing class in school, and I am getting lots of exposure.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I have joined a writing club, and have a couple of ideas for books... not sure how they will turn out though... But in the club, they try to get any books you write published! Yey!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will have oppertunities <- ? I cant spell to get stuff published too!

HERE! I WROTE THIS!

Shieldmaiden

My earbuds gently pinch my ears as I hike upward on the hill, the instumental music from The Lord of the Rings soundtrack filling me to my core.
As Howard Shore and a solo violinist fill my ears with the haunting and chilling themes of the Middle Earth kingdom of Rohan, I look to the tops of the hills, their leaves creating the appearance of the fires of Mordor. A sungold leaf flutters to the ground in front of me as I hike on, mud sticking into my boots, a Shieldmaiden of Rohan.

What do you think?
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
NICE! I LOVE IT! Is this from real life or did you make it up?
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Awesome Maxie!!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
NICE!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I made it up.

I wrote this too!

Freshman

Im the one with the pair of left feet,
walking down the hallway
stumbling in a pair of high heels
that I havent practiced walking in.

I am the one who sits alone in lunch after gym,
face buried in a book
from the library,
which took me forever to find.

I am the one who gets pushed to the side
by the traffic on the intersecting bridge,
feet stepped on,
voice lost in the mix.

I am the one who carries a heavy instrument case
which is somehow hilarious,
although on any upperclassman
it is a dignified thing.

Who cannot yet drive
who is too young to get a job
Who cannot leave school early
and who does not have exclusive privlages.

But don't worry.
In some ways my time has come,
and yours will,
too.

Not about me personally, but a friend I made today.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I like them, Maxie! I've been doing a lot of writing the past few days, but fear I might soon get stuck. =( Oh well, I do have school I need to be paying attention to....
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh, that is so... deep! I have been writing a new story... about... wait for it... wolves! *gasp* Here is the first chapter... it is quite long though... but I think some feedback would really help me to develop the story...

There is a wolf. She is running. Running away, rather than running to, or running for the sake of running. She pauses, and looks behind her. The fear in her eyes would be blindingly obvious to another wolf, but not to the humans who (to forces that) seek to destroy rather than understand. She spins round until she decides on a new direction, then begins to run again. She comes to a cave. A dark, secret place, just like she was seeking. A place where she could curl up and withdraw into herself to lick her wounds, then lie shaking against the cold stone ‘til morning came, and they would leave the hunt to pursue easier game. Night was their time of strength, when their sharply gleaming eyes would pick out every twitching whisker against the shadows. They were not nocturnal, sleeping at day as a wolf would (they seemed to need no rest at any time of day or night), but daylight revealed (reveals) too much about (of) them, so they chose to act as their prey instead of sneaking up on the sleeping, though that would not have been beneath them (so they operate while the night creatures are awake and vigilant, though slaughtering the sleeping and the defenceless was not beneath them).
She licks her shoulder, and the hind paw bleeding from the cut she attained (received) when she mistimed the leap. The memory of the sound of tearing fur was painful, but not so much as the thought of the hot breath and snapping jaws by her tail. It is said (rumoured) that they could take any form that they wished, always a predator, with the means to take down the wiliest of beasts, but she could tell they did not have the wild streak of creatures born and raised in forests. This was their one weakness, and the only reason she had outrun them. In a test of strength or stamina, she was at a huge disadvantage (they held the advantage), but weaving in and out of the trees she had grown up in presented no challenge to the young wolf.
No one knew where they came from. Supposedly they had come into being as a conflicting influence for the First Trees; for light always casts a shadow. They emerged, weak, and timid, subsequent to (after) the creation of the First Trees, the circle from which all life blossomed, and from which the children of those mighty guardians spread out to provide a home for the multitude of assorted creatures. The power of the woods remains unsurpassed, and untested. The woods are all that is. Beyond their borders, there are wild, half-finished lands filled with imprecise beasts (vague life forms). No animal would venture into those places with any hope of returning. It was folly even to linger by the shadowed margin where safety and certainty blended with the looming menace of the Outlands.
They featured in all the tales of the lone wolves, who were said to have been a threat to the close-knit packs before their numbers were strikingly (so much) lessened. But cubs still wandered alone, and the occasional grown wolf would choose to leave to find a mate in another pack (to find a different pack). Some cubs were safe, discovered covering and whining about shadows and distant blood-howls. These were always chilling, because each killing signified even scarcer prey for the rival packs, but the stories of howling that was ghostly and cruelly triumphant, rather than relieved and celebratory, were sometimes enough to ensure that the adolescents walked with their tails down and their hackles raised, growling at dark spaces that filled the empty places of the night.
As a pack member, she has scorned her whimpering pack of cubs. It had been her duty to look after the ones too young to hunt, but she had loathed the hindrance of the mischievous youngsters. One tiny nick, on the very tip of her ear, had confined her unnecessarily to the safety of the den. Admittedly, it had taken half a moon to adjust to the lopsided sense of hearing, but when that time had passed she could hunt just as well as before, perhaps more so, as she had trained endlessly in an attempt to prove her worth and earn back her place in the pack. Perhaps it was her disbelief of the stories about monsters that lurked in wait for any creature travelling alone, combined with her annoyance about being treated as if she had a missing limb or two, that had led her to leave.
After leaving, she had encountered just one other pack. They had not harmed her for trespassing, nor called her before their pack leader, but instead they had avoided her defiant stare, and dragged their tails through the rotten leaves in a gesture of pity. But this was her choice, and even if she had wished to return, her pack now saw her as an outlaw, a status almost equal to that of the dead. There had been an increase in these lately. Every few moons she would come across a carcass, left for the scavengers rather than treated to the traditional rituals of respect. This was another factor that revealed the abnormality of the deaths, and in some cases, disappearances. Many of the cubs that did not manage to find their way back to their dens after wandering off were never found.
She had stayed in the lands she had roamed for years, usually hunting only rabbits and voles, or fish when she came to a river. She had been travelling in a circle around the edge of her old pack’s territory, not (rather than) presenting herself as an envoy to another pack where she might hope to find a mate (,as sometimes happened when a young wolf wanted a change of scenery, or when a pack had dwindling numbers. Also, when two small packs were threatened, they would sometimes proffer a pact, and this would often be sealed by a couple of the cubs from each delegation switching packs. Each pack generally kept separate from all others, in an unspoken truce. Although sometimes pack would turn on pack, every wolf was aware that if their species began to fade, the packs would need to unite or face elimination. The pack leaders were proud, and only a universal threat would cause them to coalesce.).
(Many, many moons ago, an alliance of beasts had come from the Outlands, and the packs had joined forces, but it would take a singularly malignant force to bring about a reoccurrence of that significant winter. Even then, there had been those who had refused to collaborate. That minority had launched fight-and-flee attacks. This had proved fatal for them, and it was with remorseful hearts that the congregation of survivors had mourned their passing. Each pack that had perished had had their own traditions, their own variation of the wolf-speech, and their own values. For that to have been obliterated was a loss that had been felt for more winters than was countable, even for the wisest of the elders. Out of longstanding respect, the territories of those packs had never been taken, and any animal that was brought down in those woods would be left where it was. No wolf knew whether this was again out of respect, or due to a belief in resentful Traces that remained after the body departed, or in a vain hope that some had survived.)
She walked alone, although ‘walked’ is really no description at all. She would trot, or pad if she was on the trail of some much needed nourishment, or sometimes run for pleasure. When she reached a stream, she would gambol along the banks, or pick her way along the river bed, swimming confidently if the depth was suitable (sometimes swimming with the same confidence as the creatures of water).
Then she had reached a border shared by no other pack. Generally, no wolf would enter this patch of woodland. Superstitious fools, she had thought. There was no reason why a simple change in atmosphere, a difference in the amount of light between these unfamiliar trees should mean anything. Spiky, dark green branches like narrow bones, or sharp claws, grew unevenly along the weighed down branches fumbling away from the puce-coloured bark that wrapped around the twisted trunks. The trees grew thickly, and close together (grew close together, screening any life forms from prying eyes). There was a muddy stream trickling its way through the gnarled roots, and some tough-looking vines choking the saplings. There were not many of these. Indeed, most of the trees seemed to be ancient.
The wolf had entered this wood, and bounded contentedly along, until she reached a barrier of thorns that prevented her from advancing. After searching in vain for a way around, she had concluding that she only option was to turn to the left or right, and continue that way. But then had come a low growl, not a warning as would come from another predator, but a release of pent-up hatred. She had not shied away from the noise, although she had felt the danger, physically felt it as blood surging through her veins, wind skimming her fur, and atmosphere, pure atmosphere, forcing her backwards. That was when she ran. It was not a decision as such, more an uncontrollable urge to not be where she was. This is the instinct of a wolf, not to choose what course of action to take, but to take it without ever questioning why. (To a wolf, it is pointless, unthinkable even, to waste the precious time of life by dwelling on the possible outcomes of alternative actions, especially for those in the past. The future is also unimportant to wolves. They do take lessons from past mistakes, but every wolf understands that they may never know more than what they experience in the present, whenever that present may be, so they do not make plans, nor try to anticipate those of others. They can tell what their prey is likely to do next, but there is never any certainty. They live now, they live while they still can, because they believe that ‘tomorrow’ is not their right, but a gift from the First Trees
The shadow that had taken so many, perhaps for some darker purpose, perhaps simply to satisfy a need for sustenance, or a desire to rid the forests of the free creatures. And she had thought it was her turn. Then she finally began to believe in evil spirits haunting the forgotten places.
)

[Edited on 10/23/2013 by wolfbladequeen]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love it, Wolfie! oh, and thanks.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
*stunned silence, wild applause*
Where's she going? What's in the wood? Why is she an outcast? Already I'm hooked into the story. Great writing wolfie!

Now the hard bit. Although the style is powerfully descriptive and absorbing there are the occasional words which throw me out of the mood, which don't seem to belong. " imprecise beasts" is one such.
Less is more; "if the depth was suitable" sounds like a nature documentary, not really necessary, or could be put better. The story seems to be written from the point of view of the wolf, with the sensibilities of a wolf. "Atmosphere"? It doesn't scan right for me.
Minor points; one spelling error "wiliest". And "the cut she attained" I assume you mean obtained, but even that is a bit too formal.
Oh and too many superlatives - "hugely disadvantaged". Again, less is more. Allow the reader to imagine how much. The description so far gives them a good idea of the wolf's state.
Oxymoron - "The trees grew thickly, and close together" Well, yes.
Get someone to read it to you so you can try to be objective. It really helps. I hope all this is not too painful for you.

So when's the next episode? Can't wait.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I liked it a lot! I tend to agree with the points that tarc made.
I did get a little hung up on this part- "They were not nocturnal, sleeping at day as a wolf would, but daylight revealed too much about them, so they chose to act as their prey instead of sneaking up on the sleeping, though that would not have been beneath them." I wasn't really sure what you were trying to say. Maybe if you broke it into two sentences??
That's all for me. Very brave asking for feedback. lol!! =) please keep writing it!!! It's great!
tarcolan
Send Message
Oh yeah I forgot that one, wasn't sure if humans were turning into monsters. And one sentence has sixty words in it. Finished now.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, yeah, I have changed it, I don't think humans will appear in it at all... Thank people! I will look back into those bits... though I am going away so I wont be writing for a while... I really haven't a clue where she is going... Or what is in the wood... I think she chose to be a loner because she had no place in the pack... but maybe I will make her a proper outcast... you have all given me a lot to think about.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
In my creative writing class, we have these things called open mic, where we all read a piece and get feedback on it. That being said...feedback time for me!

This is the start to a stroy I have been writing since I have been in Elementary school. 4th grade, specifically. I have revised it since and I am looking into maybe publishing this story. So, uh, yeah, can you guys tell Im nervous? OK, here goes nothing!

Run.

My feet fly soundlessly through the branches until I leap into the next oak tree. Pain smacks into my palms, but I continue on, the agony going onto the furthest plate of my mind. The night time covers me as, like a shadow, I slide to the ground onto the path the young woman had just taken.

He killed her seventeen minutes ago. But I still hear wailing.

My breath comes in heaving gasps now as I nock an arrow to my bowstring. If the murderer returns, then our roles will be switched.
I have never killed anything but animals on my hunts, but there must be a first time for everything. Especially in these times. Besides, I am only fifteen years old.
I brush my long blond hair out of my face with three hooked fingers before repositioning my bow hand.

The further I walk, the louder the cries get. I take one more cursory glance at the treetops, scanning for any intruders, and then I approack the end of the trail.

Theres a tangle of rags there, and the sobs are eminating from it. I set my bow down, and then I pick up the bundle and peel away the rags. Shock hits me like a wave.

It's a baby.

Of course it is, I scold myself. What else could it have been? A human female would of course be carrying it's offspring. I am unsure of how I could hold her- I was four years old when my youngest brother was born, younger still when the brother below me was. Holding her out by the arms seems about right. And it's then I notice that she is not as young as I thought her to be- two years, perhaps. If she can speak, she must be too terrified to utter a word. Then I notice something hanging from her foot.

The world goes cold, and it's hard for me to think. I grasp the object, and, even in this dark, I can see it is a circlet enlayed with gems.
That woman was the queen.
And this is her daughter.
I hold the child to my chest. Her cool skin frightens me. No child should be exposed to such cool air like this.
"Shh," I say, although I have no idea how to calm a baby. My sister would. But I thought it would be more fun to play outside with my older brother.
Her cries are not slowed. It would help if I could remember her name, but many children were born all in the same year this year to the three Royal Families. Just as i am about to make a guess, the baby seems to melt into a shadow and vanish.
It is quiet, except for my pounding heart. My stinging palms suddenly become a reality. How can a child be here one minute and then melt away in the next? It has to be some sort of sorcery.
And then I laugh at myself. Sorcery is not real.
I tell no one of what happened, even as headlines of the murder of the entire royal line come out. In fact, I try to stay ignorant of the matter. I never make an effort to discover the child's name. A new monarch comes to power. Even though I try my hardest to forget what I saw, she comes to me. In my dreams. On a hunt. Whenever I encounter a child.
She refuses to leave me.

Feedback all you want! I can take it!

rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I like it, Maxie! Although from your style of writing, I kind of get the impression your main character is not human?? Maybe you'll clarify this in a later chapter?
But the story is very engaging. I'd like to know more.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Wow... Thanks for sharing that. You should save it and work on it. I did that with a story I wrote when I was about 16 and it turned into a 100,000 page novel. No one wanted it to publish when I finished it, but I don't feel like I lost anything. It gave me a great sense of satisfaction to expand the short story I wrote so many years before. Good job, Maxi!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! I do take all advice to heart. I am planning on publishing that at some point, the sooner the better. I have been working on that for litterally forever. I got the main idea when I used to play with barbies as a kid and then in 4th grade I advanced on it. Still working on the same thing, ha. You should all take a stock in the composition book market, because i write things out by hand before I type them. 80+ notebooks now!

rhodilwen, your authors sense is quite keen. You were write (get it? ) my character is not a human, but an Elf! may have to change the race when I get it published someday. Never looked into that. And my perspective switches from character to character, so I shall have to indicate that if I share more. But thank you for your comments.

Belle, try your hand at getting it published again! You could always self publish it on your own website if you wanted to, that way many people will see it and you will be able to draw attention for people looking for books to be published.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Stands with mouth open, but no sounds come out* You guys...are so good! I love both stories! Wolfie, your's puts me right in there with the wolf. Maxie, I was jumping from tree to tree right along with your elf. Very well done, both of you! *claps until hands feel as though they may fall off* I do agree with Tarc's and Rhodil's points, Wolfie, but overall it was very well done. Of course, Maxie, minor grammar/spelling errors, but nothing so terrible that I wouldn't want to keep reading. I thought that this line: "A human female would of course be carrying it's offspring" sounded a bit awkward. But I loved the main story! Can't wait to hear more of both stories! Keep up the good work, guys!
tarcolan
Send Message
Yeah envious. When I try to write a story all the characters end up standing tapping their feet and looking at me as if to say "Well clever clogs, what now?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ha. Thanks, Mareth, I just copied and pasted that from a GoogleDoc spur of the moment. I hadn't really done much editing on that. I was also 9 years old the last time I picked up that notebook. So I learned more grammar and spelling since. Wow, I was Claire's age when I first wrote that! O.O

Adding you all to my acknowledgements page.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
lol, Maxie! You scared me for a second. That's my name and I got confused. ha ha!
I got the digital proof of my book today, so as soon as I approve it, printing starts!! So, hopefully it'll be out by Christmas!! I wish I had something short to share.... maybe the first scribbles of a new story I started working on. I need to learn to finish projects without starting new ones.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Love it, Maxie!

I have put some changes in in brackets and italics, on the original up above...

[Edited on 10/23/2013 by wolfbladequeen]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I want your book for Christmas, Rhodil!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
=) I'll let y'all know when the release date is for certain.
Wolf- i briefly glanced through your edits and some of them are good. However, on the longer ones, I feel like maybe those aren't necessary at this point in the story. It's good historical info, but maybe you could work it in later?? It just didn't seem to flow as well with everything and almost detracted from the story as is. That's just my opinion. But maybe keep the part where she begins to believe in the evil spirits. I think that is good after "that is when she ran"
hopefully some of that made sense. lol!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, rhodilwen, Claire is my little sister, ha! Sorry to confuse you.
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email