Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Writers
on: March 19, 2013 02:37
I tried that...it wasnt being very cooperitive. :/ Ahh well.
rhodiwen- I hate it when my stories are erad out loud, especially to family!!!! Augh, and I dont even know why!!! :/ Thats life
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2013 02:53
you can post your tips here, Rodwen
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2013 11:56
Hey, Mareth, I read your story! =) Is there more or just the two chapters?
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2013 12:21
The one about Cinderella's fairy godmother? I'm still working on it. So no, there isn't. I really need to work on it some more...
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2013 02:06
Does anyone want the new and edited first chapter of my story? I can e-mail it to you or post on request?
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2013 11:36
Augh, I misspoke!! Maxim-regarding your fanfiction, see above.
But, Mareth, that sounds like a cool story!!!!!!!
so, complicated, is reading previous posts. (=P)

and Rodwen- sure! I find that having other people read your stuff can be super helpful if not a little nervewracking. But I will support all my fellow writers and take a looksee at what they write. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2013 01:58
No, rhodilwen, just the two chapters. Ive been quite sick as of late. But thanks for reading it!!!!!!!! I hope you liked it And yes, Rodwen, I would LOVE to read your new redone chapter!!!!!!!! Cuz "I am obsessed with this book!" (Wrote that on an index card and stuck it in the notebook when she let me read it )
New discussion topic...whats the scariest thing about sharing a story?????
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 04:54
For me haters are the scariest thing.

Is anyone doing Camp NaNoWriMo?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 07:42
I have to agree with Star. I'm always worried someone won't like it, or not understand something about the story. It's just scary in general giving a story to someone you don't know. That's what I'm most nervous about in getting published. My story that I've worked on for the past several years will be out there for the world to read and some people might not like it. grrrr.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 03:08
yep, and they are free to criticize and hate:/
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 09:04
It's hard to find creative critics that don't make you feel like they're tearing a story apart, so I understand your fears. I can vouch for that as I used to be an aspiring writer myself and have had my share of that pain. However, that said, even the harshest critics may have some valuable insight. Grammar and spelling are my biggest complaints - if it's glaring, it needs to be fixed (does the author know the difference between its and it's?). Head-hopping can get confusing (see my earlier post), and writing in present tense just feels... wrong, weird, like the author is doing more of a script than a narrative story. Mary Sues or Marty Stews abound, but that's not unusual when you first start writing. Too perfect main characters tend to make people groan and roll their eyes. One of my pet peeves is having a character stand in front of the mirror and list all their assets. Heh... Okay, really now, do you do that? Or do you focus on that pimple, the way your eyebrows drive you crazy, the fact that something about you physically bothers you, even though others pay no attention to these things. Seeing a person through someone else's eyes truly shows, not tells, the reader about. The heroine thinks she is too chunky, the hero sees her as lush and curvy, beautiful in his eyes. Or she may think she's skinny and her nose is too big, but he thinks she's slim and has an unusual face that calls to him. That creates a better picture, that back and forth of her perception and his, then telling readers about her flouncing her flowing black locks. Believe me, I tried romance writing that is NOT easy because there are so many rules and protocols and competition is fierce. If you love to write, write for yourself. As you do, share it with those you trust not to tear you apart. But be aware, those who love you will love your story, warts and all, and may not give you the sort of feedback that will improve your writing. Editors will often send you a canned letter - thank you for submitting, but your story is not what we are looking for at this time. Not very helpful, eh? So, get a thick skin and get used to it. Get into a writer's group in your area, try out different techniques. Be willing to rewrite more than once, but remain true to yourself - you don't have to take every suggestion, but think about them, try it and read it out loud to yourself. Most of all, don't give up, just keep trying. With persistence, effort, some classes and writing groups you have a chance to shine. You won't make a lot of money, but if you get published you will feel like nothing else in this world. I had a very wise author from Romance Writer's of America tell us once "Nothing is in stone until it's published, and then you see all the flaws." It's so true. Even published authors have things come out that are glaring errors that editors didn't catch - some from rewrites and some are just missed by everyone. Hang in there!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 09:42
I just want to clarify that by haters I mean the people who go around swearing and making comments so rude that it would take the varnish off the table! It is completely useless, unhelpful, insulting and I've seen it happen to published books. I guess I'm talking more about trolls than critics.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 11:09
Hey, Star- what's Camp NaNoWriMo?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 07:46
There should be a thread about NaNoWriMo in this forum somewhere... It's a self-competition of a sort to write 100,000 words within a set period of time. Dig around in the older threads and you should find it. I think it starts in November each year.

As for haters, ever hear of sour grapes?
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2013 01:42
Camp NaNowriMo is sort of like NaNoWriMo for summer. It starts April 1st. You write 50,000 words in a month (unless you're an overachiever, then you write 100,000!)
I can start a separate thread for it.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2013 05:53
ooo, thats really cool!!!!!! I will def. be one of those over achievers who writes 100,000 I hate it when my charachters end up being Mary/Marty Sues/Stews. Its so hard sometimes, but its totally worthwhile oncew you see the finishing product
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2013 04:47
Ug....I really wish I could stop getting writers blocks. I get a great idea and then it just disappears so...I feel like a failure now. My story has just fallen off a cliff and it's staying there until I can get to the bottom of the cliff and pick it up again. That means I'm going to have to jump....lol never mind. I'm getting too into-this. Bye
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 02:52
Rodwen, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your story is too good to fall off the cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll jump off it to rescue it, I swear!!!!!!!!! And you know I will!!!!!!!!! So you need to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll help you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, I sound desperate........heeheeheeheehee.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 11:06
Hey, Rodwen- don't give up!!!!! It might help to talk it over with someone new and see if discussing plots so far will spark ideas for what happens next. That's what I used my little sis for, when I would get stuck. =)
I wish I had time for Camp NaNoWriMo. It sounds like fun.But I don't have time to write now... :/ Stupid school and staying busy so I can get an education for life... grrr... Ha ha!! Sometimes I just want to run away to the forest and be a writer.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 01:33
I would love to do that too, since I love nature and such
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2013 08:57
I LOVE writing!!!!! But mainly poems or songs.... I USUALLY fail at longer stuff
"A sprinter learning to wait."
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2013 05:59
I did NaNoWriMo this year. I wrote a sequel to the book i am writing now. and i ended up changing basically my whole story and so now the sequel doesn't make sense! lol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 02:25
thats OK, Legolas, it happens sometimes
And Ethelynn, welcome to CoE!!!!!! WE are all very friendly here Dont worry, we dont bite too much
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Howdy, Ethelynn!
It's been awhile since I've been in. Editing is supposed to start this month!! I'm super excited!! Aaand I don't want to study for my final exams.
How's everyone doing?
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Im great thanks! I really wish we could all be on the same page with this Writers forum though. I feel like every time i post something, no one listens to me.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Awww, I'm sorry. So what's up with you and/or your writing, Rodwen? btw-I finally watched the Guardians movie and really liked it. Your pic reminded me. =)
I feel like we might be missing a few posts since the hacker or maybe I'm just imagining things. It's been known to happen.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love Rise of the Guardians!!!!!!! <3 Jack Frost!!!!!! Anyways, whats the title of your book? I eagerly await its debut
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
It's titled "The Rise of Aredor". I'm hoping it'll be out around Nov or Dec!! And I might recruit y'all to help get some publicity outside friends and family. The publishing company will be promoting it but I still have to do work for it too. =)
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
So what i did was give my self 2 months to brainstorm ideas. i was stuck on my book and could think of anything. and it worked! i am writing on my book all day now! so just a tip for those of you who are stuck. maybe take a few weeks off just to brainstorm ideas.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Awesome, I can't wai to read it!!!!!!1 I will so do publicity for it!!!!! WE better get as thank you in your aknowledgements section. JK!!!!!!!
Legolas- sometimes brainstorming is all you need!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Can't wait for the book, Rhodilwen! I will try to tell lots of people about it.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, I have to ask a writers question. I'm trying to separate my book into chapters, but I can't find an ending to this one section without it being 1,00 pages long. Ug. What should I do, write more and make an ending or just make the chapter EXTREMELY long.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Is there a part maybe in the middle of the chapter where you could divide it. A cliffhanger-ish part? Or a part that is leading up to some action and a reader would want to go on to the next chapter instead of putting it down and say-go to bed, or do homework, or wash the dishes. lol!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
Hey guys! I am back on this thread! my book is coming along great! does anyone here write plays? i ask 1) because it is cool! lol and 2) because i want to be an actress a movie actress, but i think i am going to do theater for a while.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will be taking Creative Writing in wonderful High School next year, so that means yes, I will be writing plays
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email