Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Mirlomien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Do you wear glasses?
on: February 07, 2003 07:52
wow. i really feel outnumbered in this thread. I'm 15 and have 20 20 vision, i think.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 07, 2003 08:35
wow. i really feel outnumbered in this thread. I'm 15 and have 20 20 vision, i think.

I don't think you're outnumbered; we're just the vocal minority.
Mirlomien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 07, 2003 08:40
thanks Firiel
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 08, 2003 07:41
:evil:I happen to have glasses. I think they enhance my "Genius" look.:evil: When I wear my Nazgul cape, thay are invisible! (Not scary with huge glasses peering out from shadow )

Lol, that's true for me too, my glasses me looks smarter and mature. :evil: Muahahaha!
Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2003 12:40
I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 or 8, and I'm 15 now. (I'm waaaaay too lazy to do the math today and figure out how many years it's been...)
I have astigmatism.
Just to give you an idea of what they look like: The frames only go around half the lenses. The lenses are sorta rectangular: the long sides are straight, but the short ones are rounded. They are a deep turquoise that is more blue than green. The way they are styled, the frames are kind of wide, so for the first week I got this set, I had to watch out because if I turned a corner too close or went too close with my hands, they would wind up on the floor.
I need a new perscription (sp?) now because I really can't see. My eyes just keep getting worse!! :dizzy:

Even though I'm really afraid to, I am going to have to get contacts because I am going to be a professional actoress one of these days, and audition-ers like to see your whole face. <~ one freaked out Hobbit...

[Edited on 8/2/2003 by Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom]
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2003 04:41
No one in our family doesn't need eye-correction. I've been near-sighted since age 8, bi-focals at 41 & I got a special pair to wear @ the computer so I don't break my neck leaning abck to see! I like glasses. It gives me a shield that seperates me from the harsh world. & I like the way the world is fuzzy in the morning. Easier to face!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 09, 2003 04:45
*Sigh*
I think I will be wearing them pretty soon. Not that I think they'll look horrible or anything, but I am pretty hard on sunglasses already and glasses cost a lot more than that. And I can't bear the thought of sticking something in my eye.

Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 11, 2003 02:20
Don't worry Aowyn, I didn't like the fact that I had to wear glasses. But I'm used to them now. Its not so bad.
Aeryn_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2003 05:31
I am totally blind without my glasses (or contacts). I've worn them since I was 9--I'm 28 now. Both of my parents and all of my grandparents had to wear them. Although I think both of my dad's parents only got them when they got older, however, my dad is blind! lol Fortunately for my brother, he doesn't need them...yet.

Without my glasses I can't even see the computer screen 18" from my face. I agree with Tanlaithwen, though. When I got back on my contacts a few years ago I kept getting compliments from the people I work with. Like I wasn't noticed before. But it's not too bad wearing glasses. It's just a bit uncomfortable when you fall asleep on the television. One thing good is looking at the Christmas tree with your glasses off. The lights are all fuzzy and pretty!
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2003 05:41
Yep I wear glasses! Have worn them for over 11 years. I'd like to get contacts but cannot becasue of my allergies they make my eyes water too much :S

Without my glasses I cannot see anything more than a foot away - it is all blurry... it is a real pain sometimes but I have gotten use to it
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 02:15
Lots of kids at my school need glasses but don't wear them. They don't wear contacts either. I can't see how you can stand having blurred vision.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 02:27
youd be suprised lady~eowyn

i dont like getting an increase in my pescription everything goes from nice soft and blurry to harsh- colours really stand out and everything looks too real it takes a while to get used to.

also it often happens so slowly you get a little blurrred and more and more till you suddenly realise that you cant see what your friends can see...
Aeryn_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 04:35
My eye doctor told me that wearing contacts will prevent your eyes from deteriorating as fast. My prescription hasn't changed in the last few visits since I am back on contacts.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 05:28
Okay, I'm sorta person who wears glasses, but only for lectures, or watching movies, or copying notes down from the white board... other than that... I don't.... cause I look batter that way... lol
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 05:36
My eye doctor told me that wearing contacts will prevent your eyes from deteriorating as fast. My prescription hasn't changed in the last few visits since I am back on contacts.

What!!? Wow. I never knew that. I should get contacts when I'm older man.
morgana03
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2003 06:17
I wear them and have since I was about 6. Have to cause if I don't I can't see an inch in front of me and my eyes are too sensitive for contacts.
Alaghelediel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2003 08:23
I've had glasses (unfortunately) since the 5th grade, and I got contacs in the 7th grade (because of soccer - I was blind out on the field lol). I usually wear my contacs, except for when I'm at home all day and this grading period because we're swimming in gym (don't want to risk losing them). I prefer contacs (appearance-wise), but I hate having them in when I'm tired because I hate having to take them out and clean them (lol I sound lazy, but it's evil when I'm about to doze off, but I can't because I don't want to lose my contacs up in my eyes. o.O).

For those that are scared - they're not bad at all. I absolutely could not stick anything in my eyes, and in fact when the eye doctor was putting them in for me when I first got them, she had to hold my eyelids open with all her might because I just couldn't! (funny sight, really. took her a good 5 minutes or so just to get the first one in XD). But you get used to it, and don't worry, they stay in place (unless you move them around with your finger)! You can't even feel them once they're in, and they don't hurt.

I definately can't go without my glasses/contacs. I can barely read the screen when I take my glasses off (yes, I am wearing them right now...). It's pretty bad. x.X I am near-sighted.

[Edited on 30/3/2003 by Alaghelediel]
hope
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2003 08:34
I wear glasses... have since the 5th grade (i'm about to graduate college now). Everyone tells me to get contancts but I don't like the idea of having to put something in my eye.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 02:48
Wore glasses from age 13 on, but had contacts back in the old days of hard ones (man, corneal abrasions hurt). When soft contacts became available I work them all the time, but then I hit that magic age where now I am not only blind far away, but can't see close either! When I asked my optometrist about getting contacts to correct both he told me that because I have astigmatism and presbyopia (old folks syndrome - can't see close up because the internal lenses start to harden and can't reshape and focus right) the contacts would be too unwieldy. *sigh* So it's back to glasses except when I don't care about reading anything (which is rare).
cosmik01
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 03:12
I've worn glasses since I was 13 too.. 4 whole years, lol. I hate wearing glasses.. they're annoying. Especially when it comes to playing sports. Ugh!
I have to wear them to drive too which annoys me beyond belief - kinda good for other road users though
Grace
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 06:00
Nope. I have perfect vision so I don't need glasses.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 07:45
Especially when it comes to playing sports.

I know!!!! I especially sports like soccer, or any sport that involves kicking!
cosmik01
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 07:50
Yeah!! I don't play soccer so much now.. I coach it at my school.. I play field hockey mostly though.. Huh.. it's so annoying.. I'm really tempted to get contacts.. although the thought of putting something in my eye freaks me out.. just slightly..
Lorien_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2003 05:42
I've worn glasses since I was 11 and contacts since I was 16. :dizzy:
Eowyn13
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2003 09:14
Shweetness, I'm not the only! I've had glasses since I was 8, I'm 13 now. My friends say my glasses make me look really smart and mature...but still they get annouying when i'm doing sports like karate and soccer. So i hope to get contact lenses soon. I used to be scared of them but now ive gotten over the fear
Araaduial
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2003 12:50
Hey everybody, I wear glasses and I have to say ever since I've got them my vision has stayed the same. I got them when I was 12 and a half. I'm fifteen now. I don't mind them. I've had guys tell me they think I'm cuter with them and smarter looking(what, did I look dumb before?). Anyway, thought I'd say that.
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2003 02:22
I've worn glasses ever since I was in the 2nd grade, or starting when I was about 7. I finally and happily switched over to contacts in high school. But, unfortunately for me, my eyesight still seems to be getting worse. But it is true that wearing contacts helps keep your eyes from getting worse faster.

I like wearing my glasses because I don't have to do anything before getting ready for bed. But they are a hassle when you want to do anything active. And I do believe I look smarter with glasses on.

The worst thing about wearing contacts, though, is that sometimes when I fall asleep while studying and doing homework (lol - now who hasn't done that before?), I wake up to sticky and dry eyes. It's a yucky feeling. But I prefer contacts over glasses anyday.

Oh by the way, does anybody have colored contacts?
Kionurin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2003 01:37
Yes, I wear glasses too. I try to wear contact lences three times, but after two - three weeks my eyes got an allergy. They were red and watery. :cry: So I must to refuse them and now I wear glasses. At first time I hate them, but now I feel fine wearing it.
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2003 12:01
I have glasses.I should wear them but i dont.Everyone in my family wears them but me. I guess I am reluctant to wear them. I dont know why tho.0_o
PipPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2003 05:03
yep
i've worn contacts at two diff. periods in my life and i hated them. glasses suit me better. i've worn them since 1983. looooong time.
PipPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2003 05:05
with all respect, i don't know if i believe that contacts help at all in keeping your eyes from getting "worse." that might be something traditional docs might say to keep you in contacts. just consider the source, a motto to live by :heart:
Jesalyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2003 07:19
Didn't need glasses til I turned 25 and then just for computer use and night driving. Now I wear them all the time. Just got contacts 2 days ago - trying to adjust to them but I'm definately "all-thumbs" it seems when it comes to taking them out. Hopefully it gets easier in time:dizzy:.
Firstbourne
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2003 11:05
I have had classes since I was in the 4th grade. Now I am in the 10th grade. I got contacts.. Herm.. Don't know quiet when. Right before High School I suppose, 9th grade summer. Somewhere in there but I haven't been wearing them lately. Well, since I first had glasses my eyes have only been getting worse. o.o;; I am starting to think about when I turn 18 to go get surgery on my eyes. How terrifying! I know 2 people personally that have had it done and they never went blind from it. So, that is what I'm considering. Hee! ^_^!
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: April 11, 2003 02:26
I've worn glasses since the 3rd. grade, I got contacts in high school. I have very bad eyes, so my glasses have to be pretty thick. My current pair is not too bad, I actually like them. Even so, I wear my contacts most of the time. Especially for driving. I have light sensitive eyes, so I wear my contacts and sunglasses outside.

I had the coolest pair of glasses in 5th grade, they were blue, with white lines kind of like checkers. They were rectangular shaped, and I loved them. My best friend got the same ones in pink, because we liked to match up. I loved those glasses!:love:
Sony
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 05:35
yeah I've worn glasses since year one [kindergarten]. but now I wear colored contacts they're elijah's-eyes blue. but they kind of change colors depending on the lighting and my clothes. sometime they're REALLY blue, sometimes, grey, sometimes bright green. my eyes are naturally super light brown. I don't like to wear glasses, because they don't look good on me at ALL! faugh.... we hates them forever! we doesn't like to leave the house with nassssty wires on our eyes.... nooooo preciousss....
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email