Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Do you wear glasses?
on: August 07, 2004 04:06
I started wearing glasses when I was 5 but stopped wearing them about halfway through highschool. I still have glasses but I only wear them when I read or when I'm on the computer. They don't really improve my vision - they just help relieve eye strain. I have amblyopia which is hard to correct with glasses. My left eye is really weak, but the vision in my right eye is near perfect - so I see fine most of the time. But since my right eye does all the work, I get terrible eye strain and pain behind my right eye - especially when I haven't gotten enough sleep. I actually like my glasses, though. They're wire frame but the frame only goes along the top of the lenses - they're so light that I forget I have them on.

Question for you folks that wear glasses. What do you use to keep them clean? I'm forever smudging my glasses and have a hard time keeping them clean. Anyone know of any special cleaning clothes made just for glasses?
Beriedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 07:36
I am very, very, near-sighted(20/225). I got glasses on October 30, 2003. I remember the date cuz it was Halloween the next day and no one realized I had glasses. I am constantly fighting for clean glasses, and I can never get them clean. I even wrote a poem called "A World Through Dirty Glasses."
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 12:50
I do. I don't really need them and I look much better without, but I lose them if I don't wear them.
freakysoccer13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 08:41
People cna be born with two different eye colors, or the color of an eye can change due to injury. It's called heterochromia =)

I know. But the colored contacts in a way make your iris "pop" out. it is kind of hard to explain. The color also moves off the brown of my eye so sometimes there is a ring of brown around the pupil. That is why it is funny when people think it is real because if you look closely it is obvious one is a contact.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 09:30
I do and I'm far-sighted. I hate wearing them too. I'm hoping to take that laser eye surgery next summer.
Haradiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 03:40
Yes, I do, and I consider them a plague. :banghead:
Playing sports is a pain with them, sometiems literally, and they're always getting dirty, or scratched, or bent, or broken, plus I hate the way i look in them. Don't have money for contacts, nor do I relish the fact that'd I'd have to use eye drops. i hate messing near my eyes. So, I'm stuck with glasses. *lol* I know, I know. I sound so...positive. :disco:
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 09:28
I totally agree with you Haradiel.

They are very bothersome. Clean them every second because I see the lint on the lenses. I look in the mirror and I see that they are not straight and crooked but my parents say that's all in my head. But my brother says the same thing. If I'm watching a scary movie and I want to cover my face I dirty glasses. They are always in my way! It's so fustrating. I look more ugly with them than without them. Everybody says so. I could go on.....and on......and on....
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 09:29
I'm suppose to wear them when I read or when I'm on the computer....do I? Nope...LOL
mírfain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 09:45
I wear sunglasses sometimes

no, I don't wear glasses, and I'm glad I'm not, cos I look even worse with glasses than I do without them...
ShotoKid
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2004 11:25
I wear glasses when I need to see something far away (i'm nearsighted)
Brandi
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 02:48
I wear glasses or contacts depending on how lazy I feel when I wake up or where I'm going. lol.

[Edited on 8/9/2004 by Brandi]
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2004 12:26
glasses wearer here, have been since 8th grade. I'm 21 now. I'm getting Lasik around Christmas, my insurance company is paying for it. *hugs her insurance co*:love:
I've tried contacts. I hate them, and they hate me just as much. I actually can stand poking myself in the eye, I'm weird like that. However when I did get contacts (several years ago)
It took at LEAST 40 minute to an hour to get ONE in. It would stick to my finger like it was the One Ring in a past life.
When and If I did manage to get one in, I'd be so peeved that I'd end up tearing the other one in half, or slinging it across the bathroom.
And in the rare occasion I did manage to get both in, they would only last 45 minutes max before they dried up and fell out. :dizzy:
I've always wanted to have violet eyes, but contacts REFUSE to stay put. :cry:
LadyLethril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2004 03:33
I wear contacts, and glasses every so often... usually just before i go bed, cause I think I look weird in 'em. But I've had them since I was in the 3rd grade. I have terrible eye sight! I can't see a thing without my contacts in!
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 05:19
i'm short sigthed, usaul wear contacts, but sometimes glases.
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 09:33
okay, to those with dirty glasses, here are some tips and hints. I should now, I've had these things plastered to my face for 8 or 9 years.
Do NOT:
Use paper towels, this will scratch your lenses even more.
Spit on them... ewww
Water doesn't work either, so unless you've managed to cake them in mud leave the cleaning products found in bathrooms for your hands
You MAY:
Use the end of your shirt, depending on the material
Lens Crafters, Pearl Vision, and Wal-Mart usually carry product made specifically for cleaning glasses.
You can use a swifter cloth as well, just be careful not to scratch the lens.
If your glasses are sliding down or pinching, take them to your local glasses-store. Lens crafters will adjust them for you for free.

Also, invest in a small screwdriver for your glasses, mine have been popping a lens every now and then, and I have to tighten the screw. This can happen in cold weather. So, if you've had your glasses for say, over a year, and the weather is cooling down, find a screwdriver. There are actually small ones made for glasses, but any kind will do really.

I hope that helped.
Rodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 09:49
I wear glasses for driving, watching TV, etc. Not most of the time though.
Aloriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 12:44
I wear glasses or contacts all of the time.
How many of you have had a bad experience while trying to buy glasses?
BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2004 11:42
I had glasses but now I have contacts. If you are nearsighted and have to wear glasses 24/7 contacts are a dream come true! Just dont run your eyes
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 02:26
I wear glasses for watching TV and some school stuff, like looking at the board. Funny how I mention TV first.
Brannion
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2004 08:41
I'm near-sighted so I have to wear my glasses, except when I'm sleeping.
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2004 10:52
Not anymore :love: I got PRK. I still have a healing lens in one eye. I had to have my eyes done a few days apart. My right is is still a little blurry. My left is 20/20.
PRK is like LASIK, but with LASIK, they have to cut a flap (corneas) with PRK they don't cut your corneas. Mine were too thin for LASIK. PRK takes longer to heal though.
Oh SHOOT! Now I have to get a new driver's liscence. I have the "corrective lenses restriction" :dizzy: Drat! And I have to be back in school on the 6th... uh oh... lol. I'll do it later, I don't get pulled over. hehehehe.
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: November 24, 2007 02:32
i used to but i got contacts 3 months ago
TheOrangeblossom
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 10:43
Yes, I have glasses too. But in the last year or so, I have to take them off to read small letters, I'm beginning to become an old lady, I suppose.
nightfairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 12:38
I've worn glasses since I was 15...reluctantly at first, but all day through ever since I started to drive.
Nowadays I don't feel myself without them, not because my eyesight is so bad - it isn't - but because I'm just not used to seeing me without them. When I put on make-up without them, it always gets to the point when all is done and I look at my reflection and think *wtf* 'I look odd!'. Then I remember to put the glasses back on and everything's fine again

hugs
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: December 01, 2007 06:36
I only wear glasses when I'm on the computer, and then only sometimes
Gileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 04:49
I've worn glasses all the time since fourth grade I think. I'm near-sighted but I can see well enough without them to not have to worry about running into anything.

I know contacts would be much more convenient, yet my eyes are very sensitive. Even a llittle bit of water sometimes stings my eyes, especially chlorine water in pools and salt water, so I probably won't be able to wear them.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2007 01:43
I should wear glasses, at least at distances, but I need new ones. I have had to and fro in sight since I was 14 and a half. It became better for a period, but then became worse again. Not that it is THAT bad, I see quite well anyway.
taintedmushroom1
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2008 05:14
I myself wear glasses. It's alright now, I've gotten used to them. I'm expecting a new pair soon, my current ones are broken.

At first I didn't want to wear them all the time, because, I was told to, but I guess I'm ok with them now. Can't wait for my new colorful-rimmed glasses.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2008 12:29
I wear glasses as well and I'm nearsighted. I have a pair of reading glasses that I use when I'm writing or knitting seriously but not all the time. People tell me all the time that I should get contacts but I can't stand the thought of putting something in my eye! It kinda grosses me out! I'll live with my glasses, thanks!
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2008 07:49
I'm really shortsighted, so I have to wear glasses 24/7 apart from when I'm asleep. They're huge (ever since I saw The Sixth Sense I liked really big glasses) and the right lens is about a mile thick... my right eye's a lot worse than my left eye. They're usually filthy cause I can't be bothered to polish them unless I seriously can't see out.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 04:26
I am a four-eyed nerd. And I like 'em!

I would get LASIK but it's, like, $200 per eye (I think -- I don't really know know how much it costs, only that it's really expensive) for some doctor to put a laser-thingy in your eye and if it comes out wrong you might be completely blind. No thanks. And as for contacts, just the thought of those little plastic things in my eyes, (shudders). I'll stay with glasses, thank you.
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 10:08
I wear them just for reading . . . and when I remember or when they are to hand . . . which isn't always !!
NeurielAdonneniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2010 09:45
i have very un-elvishly thick glasses...i'm gonna get contacts tho...someday
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2010 03:20
Yes, I wear glasses. So does my wife.
oiotari