Welcome Guest 

Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
AWELYN: I hope everything gets resolved quickly. The tension isn't good for anybody, including yourself. Fortunately, children are particularly resilient if they're given a solid platform to stand on, but that's probably small comfort to you at this point.

TARC: Just keep tramping and exploring those moors.

DIMPLE: Keeping my fingers crossed that Bruno will have a peaceful end.

BELLE: Some of the neighbours have started planting here. It was up to 24C at one point but has dropped back into the mid-teens now. I've made the costly mistake of planting too early and have become a mite more conservative with my time table as a result.

NEENIME: I've been following the news on the Ukraine and it doesn't look too promising. Hopefully, things will be ironed out in a more peaceful fashion but I have a feeling that's a bit of a dream on my part. I'm glad your relatives and friends are fine at present.

As for me, I'm battling stubborn solar lights. I replaced all of the batteries and now some are working and some aren't and I'm at a loss as to why. I guess I'll have to take them all apart again and have a look see. Blasted nuisance!

Anyway, have a wonderful week one and all!

Later the same day: .... goes to the post box to find that .... her plants have arrived

[Edited on 05/06/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
My daughter's husband has had a personality change. He does not try to see Lily or call. He is drinking all most daily and I am sad to say I think he might be using drugs. I am heartbroken. I love him but he has a girlfriend and does not want my daughter. He is confused he says and loves my daughter as the mother of his child? That is a new one for me. My daughter begged him and begged him to come home and not destroy their family to no avail. He said he does not know what to do but he is going out on weekends with the other woman and telling my daughter about it with texts. My daughter is going to a female lawyer tomorrow. She does not want to but we have to put Lily first. My concern is her safety since he is drinking and possible using pills. But things will work out one way or another. Neenime I have been watching about your homeland and it is heartbreaking and scary. ES you go have fun with your plants.
Dimple I am hoping Bruno will have a peaceful end to his life.
Have a good week Belle and tarcolan. Off to bed Goodnight.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Good grief, awelyn... That man needs some serious help. What the heck happened to him to drive him to this? Surely something must have... All my prayers and hugs to you and your family in these trying times.

On a lighter note, hot weather behind us, now still windy but chilly. The poor plants and animals don't know what to do with themselves. *sigh*
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
It sounds a though he may have had an underlying mental health problem that has manifested now for some reason. Unfortunately, that makes it even more difficult to deal with as he will be unlikely to seek treatment. My heart goes out to you and you family for having to cope with his issues. Image

To quote Belle: On a lighter note, the weather here has stayed beautiful. I have booked the days I need to get my new flower boxes made, and my plants put in. I'm so excited! Now if I can find a way to keep the blasted deer out of my yard, I will be doubly ecstatic. I've tried to convince the cat that it's his job but the just ignores me for some reason.

Speaking of cats, his nose should be well out of joint soon when I bring home the two kittens I'm planning on adopting from the local rescue centre. They're due in any time and they sound like they're right up my alley ... solid black, Siamese X's. Maybe I can train them to chase deer.

Still looking for a dog, but I have a couple of leads to follow up so I'm hoping that will happen soon as well.

Have an awesome day, everybody!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Oh my God AWELYN,he must have had something brewing inside him for a while to come to this.Things do not happened out of nowhere.It is sad and worrying for your daughter and Lily and frankly for all of you.It's a good thing to see a lawyer and see all the options for the sake of Lily.I'm with you in this and hopefully it will end on an encouraging and fair note.

The snow is all gone and I'm happy and the temperature is warm.I spent wednesday and thursday out in the garden and oh it felt soooooo good to put my hands in the soil and I'm going out again a little bit later this morning.All the cleaning will be done and I'll see what changes can be done and what I will plant new this year.The fun has begun,yeah!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
!§$%&?ß@#* I wish I could finish typing an entry in CoE (and occasionally in my e-mail system which I use as a spell-check) without suddenly jumping absolutely randomly from thread to thread!!!!!!!!!!

Awelyn, this sounds vaguely like a (as I must say) former friend of mine and his wife. I got to know him first, then, together with my (then not yet) wife his wife, too. He had a thing about having his cake and eating it too, with the odd girl-friend (don't know how many). They finally separated, and she found (may have known him casually from work before) her current husband, a "trade" that was in every way a gain for her. No Children involved, though
Have your wife to take care of the kid, but meet the girlfriend on the weekends - do I understand that right? If so, the man has a massive problem with commitment, in my opinion. Decide. If he does not (feels he can not) then your daughter should decide - to dump him.
Mind you, I am babbling away about what I believe I can deduce from your posts, Awelyn. And I do not even remotely pretend to be able to understand the feelings your daughter (or any woman in her situation) has for the father of her child.
But I would say (and I believe I have Dr. Phil (Phillip C. McGraw PhD) backing me in this) one thing very firmly to her:
DO NOT LOOK FOR WHAT YOU MAY BELIEVE TO BE YOUR FAULT HERE!
If things do not work out, don't automatically (as happens far too often) think it's your fault for some reason. Partnership and thus marriage is a two-way-street. He may, as speculated above, have some serious issues to deal with. But if so, they are HIS issues, HE needs to get them sorted out - and may very probably need professional help to do so. If he does not seem willing to deal with his issues - protect the child.
You are all quite welcome to scold me for my theoretical babbling.
But I remain firmly convinced that there are some things one can learn from books written by experienced people on subjects one has no own experience about. Scold away.

[Edited on 05/09/2014 by Gandolorin]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Gando, browsers have a spellchecker. Right click in the text box.

Mum was in hosp today being topped up with red cells, hope it gives her a bit more va-voom. I planted a lavender bush in the garden, big flowers, can't remember what it's called. The groundsmen can't possibly mistake it for a weed, touch wood. And someone threw away some enormous terracotta pots which I nabbed, so I'm going to repot my larch tree. Rainy blustery but warm. Listening to World Roots on the radio. Did anyone hear DemocracyNow broadcast 8th May? Scary stuff happening in the land of the free. Also NRA drive to get women to join up. Gun sales at saturation point, have to get a new market. It'll be kids next (sorry Belle but... pink assault rifles? Really?). I'm planning an evening to watch the new cut of 'Heaven's Gate' by Michael Cimino. Has anyone seen 'Nebraska' yet?

Talking of books, Gaiman's new one is nice 'The Ocean At The End Of The Lane'. I think he's finally getting the hang of this writing lark. It reminded me of Alan Garner.

True colours indeed. Keep well all, life is good. Even the bad bits.
awelyn418
Send Message
Gandolorien I agree with you 100% and told my daughter almost verbatim what you have posted. He has been out of the house two weeks now and feels that this is a separation and he should date the other woman. So my daughter has filed for divorce but may change it to a legal separation and I have no idea why. I just want my granddaughter provided for and in a legal fashion. Thank you for the advice.
Tarcolan I hope your mom is better soon.
Dimple when I read your post in my minds eye I could just picture you with your hands in the dirt smiling. I remember from years gone by the photo's you sent me of your garden and how lovely it was so just have fun.
ES kittens what fun. My animals with the exception of one were all rescue animals. You will have to post pictures.
Belle glad your hot weather has lifted next week we are having a bit of a cool front come through in the 40'sF at night so my flowers that are planted and blooming I may need to cover will have to check it out then.
Happy Mother's day to all USA COE mothers tomorrow. Have a great weekend.
tarcolan
Send Message
Love is blind, they say, but a legal separation is probably less traumatic than the nightmare lawyers circus of a full-blown divorce. Amicable is not in their vocabulary. No money in it, and that's the crux of it, unfortunately. Courts too often only consider the financial side, kids aren't that bothered. All they need is love. Love and devotion have no legal currency. I'm depressing myself now.

Hope you get a doggie soon E~S, it's what kitties need to give them a sense of superiority. Our Jack used to cower before the combined power of three kittens. He couldn't even eat his dinner in peace.

Neenime, I hear Moscow has sanctioned the results of that referendum. Who could have predicted that?! I suggest we all move to Russia and have a referendum. Hey, it works both ways Boris, doesn't it?

Reliably informed that a high pressure region is making it's way here from the Atlantic, bringing warm and balmy weather. So that'll be nice. Remaining night-scented stock seedlings have survived so far but the situation is tense. UN observers are watching events from a long, long way away.

Hiya swabby.
awelyn418
Send Message
Where is Swabby? I miss him.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Hope he's okay. Well, we are back to blistering weather after a spell of cooler. Was in mid 90's F yesterday and by Thursday it's supposed to 101 F. Not pleasant. At least the weekend it's supposed to be in the mid 80's. *sigh* My plants are wilting and I fear for the rabbits.

Take care, all!
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh my goodness Belle our high today was 54 and tonight in the 40's. It is the coolest May we have had in years. I hope your bunnies are ok.

[Edited on 05/15/2014 by awelyn418]
BelleBayard
Send Message
It actually got up to 103 yesterday and everything is wilting. Worse, there are fires to the north of us and some homes have been affected and MANY people. Smokes hangs heavily in the sky, like some sort of odd cloud rising from the land. Not supposed to be as high today, but definitely still in the triple digits. The forecasters indicate it will progressively cool down over the next few days, but it's been rough. They were panting and laying around, without much appetite. I could agree with them - I just felt like I was melting and I don't a fur coat!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
Belle, YUCK! It was about 58 here today. The low is supposed to be 34. Spring has had a slow start. I'm not complaining, mind. We were watching the infernos in California on the news tonight. How awful.

Only 3 more days of school. I've missed 2 days this week. One for getting my shots for my trip to China and then today because I just crashed with a horrific cold. I had a slight cough I put off to allergies when I went to get my shots. Felt fine otherwise. By that evening, my voice was going. I still felt fine and went to school on Wednesday. By noon, my voice was about nonexistent. I couldn't talk this morning and wanted the number of the truck that ran me over in the middle of the night. So today I got up at 5 a.m. and drove 30 miles to school and made lesson plans for a sub for an hour and a half. Then home to crash until noon. It's been up and down all since, but my voice is much better although not at full strength. Depending on how tonight goes, I may...or may not...go to school tomorrow. I didn't touch the 4" pile of papers I need to correct. Not the best time in the world to get sick.

This summer's going to be INSANE! School ends for me on Wednesday. Summer school starts the following Tuesday. I teach until the 20th of June then leave for China to teach on the 27th of June. I'll be in China until the 2nd of August. I come back and school starts back up the 6th. Holy Buckets! I may have my plate just a little full this year.

I wanted to write today, but the cold meds made my brain fuzzy and gave me the willies. I hate taking meds. So I just vegged and watched Downton Abbey all afternoon. Maybe it's an excuse? I don't know, but cold meds do strange things to me and I avoid them unless strictly necessary. Oh, well.

I hope all of you have a lovely summer. I won't be around much but will be thinking of you all.
Cheers,
Scots

[Edited on 05/16/2014 by scots56]
BelleBayard
Send Message
Oh dear, scots! So sorry to hear you're under the weather. Get well soon!

Well, it was 105 where I live yesterday and I had to run home to check on my animals - fortunately the AC kicked in to keep them from suffering. Forecast for next 10 days is considerably cooler, thank heavens.

Going to visit my daughter and her family the end of next month so looking forward to that. Considering retiring in the not too distant future and thinking of getting a bit of spending money through my sewing. We shall see what we shall see.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just came back from the balcony, no critters to be seen (sun behind the western buildings but it is far from dark yet).
But the time before, I thought "gee, the rabbits are out and about early". Actually, it was more like "gee, the rab ... huh???". It was a hare. A big one. Plenty of the small dogs around here would take one look at it and disappear underneath mommy's or daddy's jacket. My wife suggested slicing some carrots but that does not work well with these biggies. It definitely heard us talking, but serenely snuffled around the meadow/lawn beneath our loggia and then jogged away (meaning I would have trouble following at what passes for running for me by now).

[Edited on 05/16/2014 by Gandolorin]
tarcolan
Send Message
Hares go crazy for parsley.
Mayflower is prolific this year, it looks like a covering of snow.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Bruno is gone.He died yesterday at the vet clinic.We couldn't get the vet who's making house call so we had no choice but to go.The meds didn't work anymore and he cried all day wednesday.As soon as the vet saw him she knew it was the end.He had a cardiac problem,water in his lungs and probably a big mass.He closed his eyes on my shoulder,it was very tough for me and my husband but it was the right thing to do.
I'm grateful for his loyalty,his unconditional love and affection,for his head on my foot when reading a book which made me feel so warm inside,for all the walks in the woods under rain,sun or falling snow,for making my life bearable when I had a hard time and for all the little pieces of joy during the 9years he was with us.

We took him back home and burry him near the others who came before him and I'm sure they will have a good chat about the old times.I bought some flowers and I'll plant them around him.So I said a final goodbye to that lovely beast and like all the others he wrapped his tail around my heart and I never forget him.

Have a nice evening all and sorry if I took a long post to talk about my dog but I had to let it out.Thanks for listening
BelleBayard
Send Message
Think of him running with the others in the Summerlands - a place of open fields, butterflies, bunnies, and tons of critters and loved ones who have gone before us. A place of peace and joy. It's still painful, but through the grief and tears, there is a sense you did the right thing, as much as there is a hole in your life now. Virtual hugs, Dimple. Been through that way too many times in my life, but wouldn't change having them in my time at all.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Oh Dimple, I'm so sorry. It's heart-breaking I know, and I'm sure none of us minds you sharing your sadness with us. We said goodbye to our last dog in 1983, in the vets office. They were very kind to us and to her, and she nodded off gently, forcing her eyes open once or twice when she heard a cat in the recovery room next door, and we were comforted that she had the anticipation of a good chase around on the green lawns of doggie heaven. She'll be saying Hi to Bruno soon.
tarcolan
Send Message
Rejoice in a life well lived Dimple. You made each other very happy and that's what matters.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you my friends for the kind words,it made me cry but at the same time made me feel good.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
This news about Bruno is very, very sad. Always, I shall remember you speaking of him with such fondness, Dimple, and what obvious joy he brought to your life. Some of the best things are often with us too short a time, I'm afraid. May you find some measure of relief for your aching heart.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
It's more than 40 years ago that the last dog in our family died, a Boxer female of about 80 pounds, and she died young (2 1/2 years?). I still remember her fondly, and still feel an ache that she should have had perhaps 8 or 10 or 12 years more to give us joy (and we her). Unconditional love that we humans are unable to give. To have experienced that even for that unnaturally short time - something special. Unless we take them into our home when we are ourselves fairly ancient, or something else unforeseen happens, we are always going to have to say goodbye to them.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Swabby and Gandolorin
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh Dimple I am so sorry and as I read your post I cried too. For you and how he has left a empty spot in your heart. But that love you had for him and he for you was a wonderful thing and it was that love that you and your husband had for Bruno that wanted his suffering to end. We are your friends and we are here for you to talk to us.We don't mind I feel it is a privilege for you to share those feelings with us dear friend.
Hello Swabby miss you.

I love to watch Rabbits Gandolorin.
Belle I am so glad you are going to have a cooler weather. Those temps are horrid.
Scots so proud of you and it will be a hectic summer but oh the memories you will be making my friend. I hope you feel better soon.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Awelyn
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Dimple - I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost Bruno. I've been through it myself and it's just heart-breaking, even though you know it's the right thing to do. Having said that, it's such a blessing to share your life with animal companions, that I continue to love having them around me. Please extend my sympathy to everyone who knew and loved Bruno, and now are experiencing the pain of his loss.

As for me, I haven't been around for what seems like ages. It's been a whirlwind for the past couple of weeks.

I finally have my new boxes, the two and a half yards of dirt that was brought in to fill them has almost disappeared, and my perennials are planted. I feel exhausted just writing that down. It looks wonderful and the work was worth it. I will take pictures when the plants have grown a bit. Now I just have to pick up a few annuals and I'm done with the garden, other than maintenance.

I've scheduled painting of the house for June so I hope the weather is good. Right now it's raining ... good for the flowers, not so good for prepping for paint. I have an intense dislike for painting, obviously not my mother's daughter in this case. Mind you, the house looks a wee bit sad right now so it's definitely time for it to be done.

I hope everybody has a great week.

awelyn418
Send Message
ES what color are you having your house painted? I would love to see a picture of all your boxes. Have a great rest of the week.
I am leaving Saturday morning early for a road trip to my son's in Washington state. It will take two days and a half of driving to get there but will be worth it. It is a very scenic drive. I will take my computer so I will still be in here .
tarcolan
Send Message
awelyn, enjoy your journey and your visit.

E~S, if you're painting the inside of your house you don't need to worry about the weather. Piccies of boxes in full bloom will be required.

Folks over from Oz. They're so thrilled to be back in England. All the fresh green growth, flowers etc. Even though it's cold and rainy. It's great to appreciate it through their eyes. What do we know of England who only England know? Me and bro are off to find a waterfall on Sunday, Hardrow Force. It's quite difficult to get to though, you have to get past all the fine local ales in the pub, which is the only access. It's called the 'Green Dragon'! Really!

Cheers all

Update: Didn't get to Hardrow I got car sick. I knew I should have driven. So we went for a walk along Littondale. Magic!

[Edited on 06/01/2014 by tarcolan]
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh no tarcolan I hate to get car sick but I still do sometimes also. Well,a nice walk is a good thing. I am very tired but over half way there. So good night and have a great Monday.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Well after one thing here comes another.We had a flood in the basement last week,three and a half inches of water.The wood floor all ruined, the bookshelves gone and the table we put the tv on also ruined.Thank God my books are safe and the tv too.We will have to replace the floor and the doors and some part of the walls too.We are insured and protected but it's all the trouble that it caused it's so frustrating.The furniture that wasn't damage is up to the first floor and a zillion of boxes stocked in the corner of the room.In the living room we have two couches and chairs and everything is so cramped.The basement is dry now and the contractor has to do whatever has to be done.He told us that it will not be finished before one to two months.I'm lucky that summer is here I can escape in the garden.Anyway there is nothing I can do about it but wait and take it on the good side...a brand new basement.

Have a good time Awelyn on your visit.
Thank you ES for your kind words.I don't like to paint but like you I'll have no choice .It's not a very big job,just the front porch and the patio but the old paint is falling down and it doesn't look neat.

Tarcolan,you're not car sick when you're driving?

BelleBayard
Send Message
Probably gives him something to concentrate on. Sometimes just sitting and looking out the window throws off the inner ear and makes one queasy. We need to paint our house desperately, inside and out, redo the woodwork, get new windows, new stucco first, redo the plumbing and electrical... it's almost 50 years old and showing it now. *sigh*
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, painting the house is off and replacing my four-foot white picket fence (that needs repainting and posts replaced) with a six-foot wire fence is on the agenda thanks to the darling deer who has been noshing on my flower beds. aargh! Everyone else has caved in long before now so I haven't done too badly. Fortunately, the plants are young enough that they'll recover nicely, but ....... aargh! I will definitely post pics when things are up and growing.

@ Tarc - I don't do well when somebody else is driving either, especially if I'm in the back seat. I'm fine if I drive. I hope the rest of your visiting has a much more pleasant outcome. Image

@ Dimple - So sorry to hear about your basement. Thank goodness nothing important was lost, although the inconvenience of having to repair everything will be awful. Image

Off to water what remains of the garden ....

tarcolan
Send Message
Awww, poor deer. What's it gonna eat now?
Dimple, sorry to hear about your bother. At least the summer is here now. Enjoy your garden.

The only time I got carsick driving was in Cornwall, winding roads and high hedges. I suddenly pulled over and me and our son got out and leaned over a fence (breathing the free air). My missus says "What? What is it?" thinking we'd stopped to look at something. Ginger is a good cure, preferably Fentiman's ginger beer.

Bad news about the fires in California. It seems to get worse every year now.

Keep well all.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email