Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"I see you have a bow, and I assume you know how to use it well. Would you mind coming with me to hunt?" Nym asked Ithilwen.

"You are correct in your assumption. You will need to lead the way for I am unfamiliar with these lands." Ithilwen strode to the hitching post where a beautiful white horse stood waiting patiently. She placed her remaining packages in the horse's saddlebags, then lightly swung herself onto its back.

[Edited on 08/25/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic took a deep breath. "Alright, then," She said at Nym and Ithilwen's motion to hunt. "The rest of us will wait for you to leave the city."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym mounted her horse and with one hand, positioned her bow across her knees, using the other hand for the reins. "We can meet past the miller's house on the outskirts of town. If you arrive there before us, perhaps you could set up a temporary campsite." suggested Nym, as she and Ithilwen began heading out of Edoras.

[Edited on 08/28/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"That would be fine," Mosaic called to Nym and Ithilwen as they rode off. She turned to Eadwine and Iorveth.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine shifted waiting for the Elf to return to the inn to retrieve his supplies. However, the Elf seemed to be looking at the Healer Elf who was riding away with Nym.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
It took Iorveth a few moments to regain focus after his steely gaze conspicuously trailed after the elf-woman riding away on horseback with her companion for their pre-journey hunt.

"To the inn, I suppose? It shouldn't take long to gather my belongings; just a few trinkets and a satchel." He led the way through convoluted streets and alleys down the hill to an unassuming inn marked by a weather-stained, battered wooden sign hanging haphazardly outside decorated by a poorly carven horse. The interior was dingy and moist and reeked of onions. Iorveth ignored the practically unbearable stench and crossed the aged wooden slats to a well-kept bar manned by a haggard old man with a curious gleam in his eye, particularly when coin was present.

"I lodged here earli-" Iorveth was cut short.

"I remember you, elf. Not many of your kind here. What do you want?" came the harsh greeting of the innkeeper.

"I'm here to check out early. It seems as if I will not be needing the room this evening." The innkeeper weighed this sentiment for a moment, eyeing Mosaic and Eadwine with contempt. Iorveth was quite sure that the man would not have agreed were he not accompanied by two humans; some prejudice still existed towards elvenkind even in these late days.

"Yes, yes. Prorated, of course." The jingle of coin came as the innkeeper produced a small brown sack and carefully counted out a few silver before sliding them across the bar without another word before disappearing into the backroom, effectively ending the transaction.

"Well, well. I shall go retrieve my bag. One moment." He excused himself up the dilapidated stairwell to the room he had briefly tenanted. Lying across the bed was his forest-green satchel, a worn map, and a weather-stained cloak. Without a second look back, Iorveth descended the stairwell to regroup with Eadwine and Mosaic. "Shall we head out of the city? We might find a suitable camping spot to start a fire for when Ithilwen and Nym round up a bit of game for supper."

[Edited on 09/02/2014 by Eldarion]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Out of the city as soon as possible would be best," Mosaic said. "I am sure that the innkeeper will have my mother notified of the goings on soon."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nym led the way out of city. She felt a little awed around the Elf, as she had never seen, much less spoken to one before. Unsure of what to say, she remained silent.

They rode until they neared a thicket, which was located about 3 miles from Edoras. "It would be best if we dismounted, and continued on foot from here." Nym said, swinging down from her horse. She dropped Naria's reins and waited for the Elf to dismount.

[Edited on 09/06/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen dismounted and spoke softly to her horse as she draped the reins over the saddle. "Avo visto, Asyleth. I will return soon." Asyleth nickered in response as Ithilwen turned to Nym. "Why don't we split up to cover more ground? We can meet back here in an hour."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Game was scarce, evidenced by the rather small bag slung over Ithilwen's shoulder at the end of the hour. "I hope Nym has had better luck," she thought, starting toward the meeting place. As she walked her thoughts wandered back to Iorveth, just like they had done constantly since the chance meeting in the market that morning.

The last time she had seen him was that fateful day many years before. She and Iorveth had been sweethearts since they were young, and had promised each other that they would wed when they grew up. But when they came of age and he asked her to be his wife, she had refused. telling him she wasn't ready, that she didn't love him that way now. They were empty excuses and she knew it. But how could she have told him that the real reason she couldn't marry him was because she loved someone else? Or rather, thought she loved someone else.

She only realized where her heart truly lay after Iorveth left and her supposed true love fell in battle. But by then it was too late to undo the hurt she had done. If only she hadn't been so blind.

The sight of a small green bush covered in red berries brought her out of her reverie. On closer inspection she found it to be Fireberry, one of the ingredients needed to cure the fever in Gondor. Ithilwen pulled out a small pouch and began filling it with berries.

[Edited on 09/05/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym spotted a hare a few feet in front of her. She pulled back the arrow on her string, sighted, and released. The arrow was right on target. She smiled; how many times had Derik drilled her in the use of her bow? He had showed her patiently time and again the correct way to shoot. On her first hunt, she had come back empty handed and ruefully explained to Derik that she always seemed to scare away her game before she could get a good shot at it. And now here she was, four small hares already in her sack. She wondered what Derik would say if he were here now.

She heard a crashing sound a short distance away. "That's no small game," she thought. She turned towards the sound and moved forward, staying out of sight as much as possible. What she saw was something she had not at all expected: A dark brown horse with an unconscious young man slumped over in the saddle, his side soaked with blood. She paused a moment before moving closer. The horse whinnied a warning to it's master, but the man did not stir. Nym slowly walked to the horse's side; it shifted nervously. She offered her hand to the horse for inspection, all the while speaking soothingly to it. Once she had calmed the horse, she stepped a bit closer to examine the rider's wound. It was a large, jagged, gash. She reached up to pull the fabric from the wound, but the young man shifted and groaned.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Rovan's breath came ragged and shallow, every heartbeat sounding like a loud thud in his ears. It was not the first time he was wounded in battle, not nearly the first, but he had never felt so weak, so helpless. He had always been able to take care of himself, bandaging up his wounds as well as he could, keeping them clean - and then wait for his body to do the work while making sure he drank enough water.
But this one had been too much. Too deep, too wide, too much out of reach for him to have been able to bandage it. Every time he made an effort to turn, the world went black, and the pain was so sharp he could have wailed as a wild coyote if he didn't bite down on his sleeve.
He helt his horse's every step, and as Anto was choosing the way for himself, Rovan found himself getting weaker and weaker, unable to lift his head and see where the animal was going. He tried to grab the reins, but his fingers trembled so much and felt so clumzy he had to give up trying.
He knew this was it. As he felt his life dripping down his side, he felt unwanted tears spring in his eyes. Rovan realized he didn't want to die. So many times he had thought he didn't care, and he had even wanted to join his wife wherever she was waiting for him... But now with a painful sharpness he realized he wanted to live! And at the same time - that he wouldn't. Not this time. All he could do was wait for the end to come - either he'd just drift away into nothingness, or somebody would see an easy target in him and finish it. Rovan's only regret was that he couldn't be sure he had found the orcs who had taken his wife's life.
Anto took to trot, and it was all he could do just to remain in the saddle. When the horse finally stopped, Rovan's hands dropped lifelessly down the steed's neck he had been trying to hold on to. The young man thought he heard a voice.
"Faldin?" his dry throat wouldn't work, and his cracked lips refused to even say her name for the last time.
She had come for him. She'd take him away at last. Rovan tried to look at her, but only succeeded in losing his balance and sliding down Anto's side. His right foot got caught up in the stirrup, and the sudden sharp pain in his ankle finally did it - the world went all black, and swallowed him up like a deep well.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym saw the man falling from his horse and attempted to slow his fall, but winced at the thud! he made as he hit the ground. She stood and removed the foot that had been caught in the stirrup as gently as she could and lowered it to the ground. She again noted his blood drenched garments. One glance at the wound had told her it was beyond her skill to heal. The young man would most likely be dead by the time they reached the outskirts of Edoras if they took him to the healers there. Nym remembered hearing in her many travels that Elves had healing powers. Her mind went to Ithilwen. She knew the Elf was the young man's only chance.

Although she did not want to leave the young man alone, she knew she would have to in order to find Ithilwen.

Her decision made, she stood, removed her cloak and spread it over the him. After securing the horse's reins to a nearby tree, she left in search of the Elf, calling as she went.

[Edited on 09/05/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic waited for Eadwine and Iorveth to follow her out into the stables. She mounted her horse and said, "Come. We must find Nym and Ithilwen." Saddle bags weighed down with wares, she adjusted her own weight.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen had just finished picking berries when she heard Nym urgently calling her name. She rose quickly from the place she had been kneeling and went in the direction of the voice. They soon found one another and Nym explained what had happened as they hurried toward the small clearing where she had left the injured man.

When they reached the place, Ithilwen knelt by the young man's side. His breathing came in shallow gasps and his face was deadly pale. She carefully pulled the fabric away from the wound and her expression turned grim. It was worse than Nym had said.
“Nymira, I need you to build a fire and get some water from the stream we passed a little ways back.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The fire was built, and the water had just come to a boil. Ithilwen selected a few dried herbs from her healer's pouch and tossed them into the water. The fragrance filled the air and calmed her mind. She sang softly as she worked, “Ú i vethed nâ i onnad. Si boe ú-dhanna. Ae ú-esteli, esteliach nad...” She dipped a clean cloth into the water and allowed it to cool a moment before bathing the wound. “Estelio han, estelio han, estelio, estelio han, estelio veleth...” When the wound was cleansed she applied a healing salve to the area. “Esteliach nad, estelio han,” Ithilwen finished as she firmly bound a bandage around the man's midsection. Nym held his head up while Ithilwen gave him some water.

The young man's breathing was more regular and not as labored now.

"I believe he will live."

[Edited on 09/05/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
A clear voice and a mysterious melody reached within the nothingness envelopping Rovan's mind, and began pulling it out into the light again. He held on to that fragile link, with the desperation of a dying man. It seemed, it was easier to breathe.
The voice was feminine, he decided, but it seemed otherworldly, as was the song. He didn't understand the words, but they seemed to resound deep within him, soothing the pain and restoring his strength.
He tensed, as he felt somebody's hands touching him. It had been very long since another person had laid their hands on him, and it made him feel uncomfortable. But the very next moment he realized his wound was throbbing slightly less. With a sigh, he relaxed.
Rovan felt the wonderful coolness of clean water in his mouth. He had lost so much blood he barely had anything to gulp down, as it seemed his tongue was soaking the water up.
And then it hit him. Somebody was working on his wound. Was he arrested?
An adrenaline surge in his system, the young man's eyes opened, and he grabbed the hand that had been working on him.
"Who are you?" he demanded.
Rather - tried to demand, as he was still too weak to lift his head properly.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine pulled himself onto Swift.
"There now boy we're off to Gondor again, this time we won't be galloping the whole way."
Swift looked at him and snorted, as if saying You almost got yourself killed last time and you want to go back?
"Mind your own business," Eadwine whispered patting the horse's neck.
Mosaic seemed to be having trouble with her packages.
"Can I take any of those Swift is used to carrying heavy loads?"
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen was slightly surprised when the man opened his eyes and grabbed her hand.
"Who are you?"

"I am Ithilwen of Rivendell," she answered, gently running a cool hand over his forehead. "Rest now. You are safe."

[Edited on 09/06/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message

"I am Ithilwen of Rivendell," she answered, gently running a cool hand over his forehead. "Rest now. You are safe."

Rovan stared at her face in wonder. An elf? He had never seen a elf in his life. And now there was one, right next to him?

He tried to ask something else, but she pressed her finger gently to his lips, and and he surrendered.

Safe. It had been years since he had been feeling safe. The scent of some kind of herbs in the air filled his senses. Rovan's eyelids became heavier than stone, and he drifted to sleep.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Impatience seemed to have plagued Mosaic from the moment the trio of Man and Elf had entered the inn; no doubt owing to her infamous nature in the city. As such, Iorveth made it a point to conclude his business there in as timely fashion as possible and within minutes they were strolling out to the stables and mounting a fine trio of horses.

"Come. We must find Nym and Ithilwen."

Iorveth did not have any words to spare before the young lady had spurred her mount forward down the long, twisting slope that curved around residential blocks of thatched houses and weather-worn inns. Iorveth and Eadwine followed close behind.

It was a short gallop through the widely flung gates of Edoras and into wide, green pastures interrupted sporadically by outcroppings of sharp grey stones and asymmetrical boulders. The afternoon sun was bold and emblazoned in the sky, offering prime visibility for one of Iorveth's race. It was with these keen steely hues that he saw a trio of figures, one prone, huddled around a makeshift campfire. "There, someone has made camp. It may be Ithilwen and Nym," he spoke to Eadwine and Mosaic above the pounding of hooves. They pressed on over a few gentle hillocks until reaching a wide clearing flanked by thickets and a swift moving stream.

Iorveth dismounted, his unsaddled horse wandering a few feet away to sample the local flora while he eyed the recently bandaged man lying near the fire, deep in slumber. "What happened?" was all he managed as his grey gaze fell on Ithilwen.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym looked up as the trio entered the clearing. "What happened?" Iorveth asked. Nym glanced at Ithilwen before answering for her. "I was hunting when I came upon this wounded man. He was nearly dead from loss of blood. I found Ithilwen, and she cleaned and bandaged his wound."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic wordlessly handed Eadwine some of her packages.

Upon reaching their new camp, Mosaic was astounded to see that they had company. "Nym, Ithilwen," She said hurriedly, fully aware of what else could be in the forest. "Have you spoken to this man? Has he revealed how he has been hurt?"
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen looked up when her companions entered the clearing, but said nothing. After Nym answered Iorveth's question, Mosaic asked, "How was he hurt?"

Now Ithilwen spoke up. "He has not spoken yet, except to ask my name. But it appears he had a run in with some orcs that didn't end well." Here she glanced down at the rough, yet handsome appearance of the man who was now sleeping peacefully. The lines in his face told of the sorrows he had already seen in his relatively short life...for she guessed he couldn't be much above thirty years of age.

The man groaned in his sleep when she checked his dressing. Many healers could feel their patients pain, and Ithilwen felt this man's physical and emotional wounds as keenly as if they were her own.

[Edited on 09/06/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
As the others conversed, Nym silently prepared the game for cooking. This task completed, she went to the thicket where she and Ithilwen had left their horses. She picked up Asyleth's reins and whistled for Naria to follow. She led them back to the clearing where everyone else was gathered. After rummaging in her saddlebags a few moments, she came up with seasonings and a pot. She cooked the meat over the fire, she set about making a stew. While she waited for the water to boil, she got one of the loaves of bread her mother had sent with her and cut it up. She would toast it when the stew was almost ready.

As she was making the midday meal, she listened with interest to the other's conversation.

Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Iorveth grimaced as he inspected the grievous wounds the man had suffered; they were expertly tended by one of the Elven-folks finest healers and thus, no longer fatal. "What luck that you came across him before he slipped away," the elf murmured, rising to his feet and taking in a deep whiff of the herbs still wisping through the slight afternoon breeze. "An auspicious moment to be sure."

A crisp silence hung on the air as Nym began to prepare the hare she had procured earlier during the hunt; wildlife was sparse in those parts and one could practically hear the earth inhaling and exhaling along with the party. Iorveth took a moment to center himself and feel this unity. It was, combined with the sweet herbs still permeating his nostrils, supremely relaxing. Not but a few moments passed before he was induced into taking a seat beside the fire opposite their wounded and presently slumbering guest. His steely hues rested on the flames while his hands began the absent minded ritual of sharpening a small, well-crafted blade; it had never seen combat but served quite well during the idle hours of camp on a journey.

"We may cross the path of orcs after all," Iorveth uttered after a few quiet minutes as the stew Nym was preparing began to simmer on the campfire. "It is hard to tell how far our friend here made it after his injuries, but they are clearly the savage marks of orc blades and he could not have lasted more than a few leagues with such gashes. We ought to be wary."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic nodded. "And if not Orcs, there are other things to come across. Perhaps worse things. People who have had their livelihoods and families destroyed can be far worse viscous than Orcs."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine stared at the wounded man, there was something about him that...no it couldn't be. Could it? But he was supposed to be gone never to come back. Fresh feelings of guilt surged in him.
"Worse than orcs?" he half asked, "Perhaps, but an armed group will scare away pillagers and thieves whereas a band of orcs will not be daunted."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"We must be wary of both men and orcs," Ithilwen added, moving to sit with her companions at the fire. "We must remember that it was wildmen that burned the Westfold. Surely people as cruel as that would not hesitate to attack a band of travelers, armed though they be."
By this time the stew had finished cooking, and she gladly accepted the steaming bowl Nym offered her.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
The stew had simmered sufficiently and released a savory fragrance into the air that invigorated Iorveth and perked his senses once more; a drastic contrast to the healing herbs used earlier by Ithilwen that had nearly driven him to slumber like their wounded companion. He corrected his posture and sat upright as Nym offered a bowl of the piping hot concoction which he gratefully accepted with a courteous nod. As it cooled in his cupped hands, the elf rejoined the dialogue with gusto.

"We will certainly be in danger. I am familiar with the wildmen of Dunland and there are many written accounts of their wandering far across Rohan purely for the sake of looting and pillaging when targets are at their softest. A small group of lightly armed travelers like ourselves would be ideal." A pause came as he tested the stew and found it scalding hot, much to his chagrin. "If we appear too harmless they may be more inclined to assault us; the opposite may also draw their ire." He shook his head and returned to his stew once more to find it at a proper temperature. A minute of crisp silence passed before Iorveth spoke up once more.

"No matter how we begin the first leg of our journey we ought to take this man," he gestured nonchalantly towards their slumbering guest, "back to Edoras to endure the remainder of his healing process...or home, wherever that may be for him." Iorveth fell silent and tucked into the stew as he mused on a place he once called home.

[Edited on 09/09/2014 by Eldarion]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine took the steaming bowl of stew.
"You know nothing of the Dunlanders if that is all you have heard," he spat, "they are a ruthless and unhonorable race."
Anger swelled in his heart again but he quickly pushed it back down. She was gone, there was no use trying to bring her back.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic stared at Eadwine, he seemed to be musing over something, and his change in demeanor only furthered her thoughts. She looked to Iorveth. "Getting this man back to a city may be more difficult that we perceive," She said. "My mother could have alerted others of the absence of myself, Nym, and Eadwine. We have much to be wary of."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
After passing out the stew and bread, Nym sat by fire with her own food. She took a bite of bread, then deciding that what she had to say could not wait until after she swallowed, said, "Well, why couldn't the Elves take him back? After all, it's not like we all have to go back to Edoras."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I am not sure if Elves regularly travel these paths," Mosaic said, looking to Nym. She then turned to Ithilwen. "Correct?"
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen set her empty bowl aside and looked at Mosaic.
"Yes. We do not often have the need or desire to spend much time in the realms of men. Recently though, I have found my paths crossing more with humans than those of my own race,"
Her gaze flicked to Iorveth's stoic face, then back to Mosaic.
"And after staying in Edoras these past few days I believe I know my way around well enough to find a capable healer."

[Edited on 09/11/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Rovan slowly binked his eyes. It was getting dark, he thought looking up. The stars were coming up.
Why was he waking up if it was only getting dark? It couldn't be morning, the dawning light looked quite different...
Soft voices discussing something were somewhere close. The alluring scent of food tickled his nostrils... There were people nearby? How come? ...
Suddenly he was wide awake. Orc atack! He was wounded!
Rovan sat up with a jolt - only to stop midway and groan through his teeth at the sickening pain in his left side.
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic moved with a start as their patient stirred. Upon sick instinct, she shrank back, terrified at the reaction that the man could have. Ithilwen quickly strode forward to see to him.
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email