<< First678910Last >>
Author Topic:
jenise
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: the questions of eager learners -keep
on: June 21, 2003 04:52
Suilad mellyn nín,

Some updated info from HKF on Sindarin Verbs......

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:02:07 +0200
Subject: Edregol

Something occurred to me when I did some clean-up in my new article about
Sindarin verbs (I just uploaded a slightly revised version -- no big
revolutions here, so please don't get busy with your printers again):

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/sverb-rec.htm

I present some evidence that in Noldorin/Sindarin, the active participles
of A-stem verbs end in _-ol_.

The King's Letter form _edregol_, translated "in especial", looks like a
participle. Since the prefix _ed-_ may mean "forth" or "out" (see entry ET
in Etym), may _edregol_ literally mean something like *"outstanding(ly)" =
in especial? If so, an A-stem verb *edrega- "stand out, be special" may be
inferred.

Except for the prefix _ed-_, I cannot see that such a verb can readily be
connected to any known stem, though. For the middle element _-reg-_ we
would need a base *REK of suitable meaning. RAK "reach" could possibly be
related.

If _edregol_ is not a participle, it may be derived from an adjectival form
in -la (*etrekla, Middle Sindarin *_edregl_ with a syllabic final L,
Classical Sindarin _edregol_ with a newly developed vowel -- whereas
_edregol_ as a participle would represent older *_etrekâlâ, Middle Sindarin
*_edregaul_, Classical Sindarin _edregol_ with a monophthong replacing the
older diphthong in the final syllable).

- HKF

What do you think ??? :dizzy:

[Edited on 21/6/2003 by jenise]
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: July 12, 2003 05:39
*BUMP*

Seeing how useful this thread is, I'd hate to see it go into Moria... It was Lena's original intention for anybody to ask questions here, and this thread has a lot of knowledge I think new (and old!) members can benefit from.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 03:37
Le hannon, Fíriel, for reminding us about this thread, 'cause, I've got a 'doozy'!

I've been studying that 'most fun list', the 'special cases' words :dizzy:, and I've created this sentence to test myself...

I'd love to know if I'm on the way to understanding them, so here it is:

"I ngawad ngortheb i ngaurhoth tunc i nguruthos e-mbechyr i bengir e-ndúnedain."

The horrible howling of the werewolves brought the shadow of death to the pedlars who traded with the men of the west.

"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Bellenion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 05:46

"I ngawad ngortheb i ngaurhoth tunc i nguruthos e-mbechyr i bengir e-ndúnedain."

The horrible howling of the werewolves brought the shadow of death to the pedlars who traded with the men of the west.

Why you said e-mbechyr i bengir e-ndúnedain? For "to the pedlars who trades with the men of west", I would say am mbechyr i bengir na núnedain.

Suilad!
Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 04:47
I think the _nad_ you are reffering to come from _nad no ennas_, am i right?
I also think nad is the gerund of na and means something like "being" or "thing that is" it makes me think of the greek word "on, ontos" which also means "the thing that is", the "being"

No, I found it in Derdzinski's "Fragment of Athrabeth": "Ma pul I Eru minna i nad E echant". But now I know I just translated this wrongly. Thank you.

As for _man agorech_ -

The idea being that agorech is derived from _car_ "make, do".

Yes, I know that. David Salo's arguments were: in "Arphent", translated like "and said" "ar" doesn't probably mean "and" as it takes no mutation, it lookes more like a prefix to the verb; "Tuorna" - suffix "-na" is explained as "Doriathrin genetive", which David said he'd never seen before.

Question two: Helge Fauskanger in "Sindarin- the Noble Tongue" gives "our" as "vin". What is it, something that I missed or overlooked lenition?

Question three:In Didier Willis' "Sindarin prose fragment" I found the phrase "melethril nin" (my love). What is "-ril"?

Question four: I know it's stupid to ask the same question for the second time, but looking at the passive participle explanation, I still can't get the meaning of:
"... this plural form is found by taking the ending -nnen, nnem, nner, nnech, nneg>nnin, nnim, nnir..."

the examples that I've seen so far all contain -nnen>nnin as
gostannen>gestennin, harnannen>hernennin, etc. Could you give an example with the other endings?

Question five: in TTT script I found "Na barad!" as "To the keep!". But "na" takes lenition, right? and why not "Nan barad" if it means "to the"? I know you are not responsible for David Salo' dialogues, but may be I just overlooked smth?

Sorry that I take so much of your time.

Lena

Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 04:52
I am not entirely sure, but I THINK the suffix -ril can indicate the word is feminine. Hence, melethril would mean, "my lady love". I'm not sure, though (:

I have a question too. I was looking over the script and when Arwen and Aragorn are speaking Elvish together, they
1)constantly use -ch to mean you
2) how can "nauthannem" mean "I thought"?
there are other things that don't make sense, but I have to look at it a little longer first. Did they just mess up in the movie, or what?
The dialog I got from a gerfman Sindarin site prfoposes "nauthannen" which is corfrfect and means "I thought". Nautfhannem is definetely the 1st plur, past tense of nautha.

Thanks!

[Edited on 7/2/2003 by Tenemswe]
Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 04:54
Yes, I know that. David Salo's arguments were: in "Arphent", translated like "and said" "ar" doesn't probably mean "and" as it takes no mutation, it lookes more like a prefix to the verb; "Tuorna" - suffix "-na" is explained as "Doriathrin genetive", which David said he'd never seen before.
So arphent would be a contraction of ar (and) + pent 'past tense of ped ?

True, niether have I before. Nevertheless it must mean something, and undtil something else is proposed that makes more sense I shall continue to see it as how it has been translated

Question two: Helge Fauskanger in "Sindarin- the Noble Tongue" gives "our" as "vin". What is it, something that I missed or overlooked lenition?

This is from the latest issue of VT. It seems that possessive pronouns undergo lenition because they occupy the "adjectival" space. I am working on a new pronoun chart that I hope to release soon with a much better description of how the overall system works than is given.

Question three:In Didier Willis' "Sindarin prose fragment" I found the phrase "melethril nin" (my love). What is "-ril"?

Ril can be found in words like "silmaril". It is translated roughly as "brilliance". I don't have a clue why it is appended to love though in that case.... We must also keep in mind that some of these compositions are old and have not been updated to fit with current knowledge.

Question five: in TTT script I found "Na barad!" as "To the keep!".

Actually I think this should read "am marad" to (the) keep.

Question four: I know it's stupid to ask the same question for the second time, but looking at the passive participle explanation, I still can't get the meaning of:
"... this plural form is found by taking the ending -nnen, nnem, nner, nnech, nneg>nnin, nnim, nnir..."

That is my mistake. I shall have new versions of (almost every) lesson up soon . Basically there is only one form nnen>nnin.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 05:32

Why you said e-mbechyr i bengir e-ndúnedain? For "to the pedlars who trades with the men of west", I would say am mbechyr i bengir na núnedain.

Suilad!

Suil!

I checked the dictionary - both 'an' and 'na' can have meanings of 'with'...

That is part of what I'm trying to get clear on... what is the 'best' way to say 'with the' (as well as 'into the').

I.e. - is there one particular way to 'say' those phrases that is 'better' or 'more correct', or does it just depend on the 'meaning' one is trying to put into a particular sentence? And not just in 'special cases words', but in general...

Do or can 'nin and nan mean 'with the' as well as 'to/for the?'

~ or ~ am I just confusing myself? :dizzy:

[Edited on 14/7/2003 by gwendeth]
Bellenion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 06:26
Suil!

I checked the dictionary - both 'an' and 'na' can have meanings of 'with'...

That is part of what I'm trying to get clear on... what is the 'best' way to say 'with the' (as well as 'into the').

I.e. - is there one particular way to 'say' those phrases that is 'better' or 'more correct', or does it just depend on the 'meaning' one is trying to put into a particular sentence? And not just in 'special cases words', but in general...

Do or can 'nin and nan mean 'with the' as well as 'to/for the?'

~ or ~ am I just confusing myself? :dizzy:

[Edited on 14/7/2003 by gwendeth]

I try to figure out what you were stating... So e- in your sentence e-mbechyr i bengir e-ndúnedain is umlauted from an-? I'm not sure if the following words would trigger any umlaut.

BTW, I know both an- and na can stand for "with, to." But an- meaning "with" is a prefix, while na meaning "with" is a preposition. If my memory serves me right, an is mainly for dative, and na is mainly for allative or simply "for", or "at, with, by". That's why an struck me as I saw "to"(Dative), and na for "with" as well.

Suilad!

[Edited on 14/7/2003 by Bellenion]
Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 06:35
I am not entirely sure, but I THINK the suffix -ril can indicate the word is feminine. Hence, melethril would mean, "my lady love". I'm not sure, though (:

I have a question too. I was looking over the script and when Arwen and Aragorn are speaking Elvish together, they
1)constantly use -ch to mean you
2) how can "nauthannem" mean "I thought"?
there are other things that don't make sense, but I have to look at it a little longer first. Did they just mess up in the

movie, or what?

Thanks!

[Edited on 7/2/2003 by Tenemswe]
Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 06:39
Hmmm. Na is a preposition or a form of the verb "to be". Nad means "thing". Nad may also be the gerund of "to be" in which case it could mean a "being". I haven't seen "nad" used as a preposition but I may have missed something.
nad is probably the gerund of na . By the way why is it that there is no "to be" in Sindarin? It would be so much simpler to use "na" and conjugate it according to the rules of the 3a" stem verbs.Why not ? After all Sindarin is a language "under construction"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 07:03
BTW, I know both an- and na can stand for "with, to." But an- meaning "with" is a prefix, while na meaning "with" is a preposition. If my memory serves me right, an is mainly for dative, and na is mainly for allative or simply "for", or "at, with, by". That's why an struck me as I saw "to"(Dative), and na for "with" as well.

Suilad!

I checked the CofE dictionary again... under 'an' it says that as a preposition it can 'also mean "with, by"', as well as listing it as the prefix....
Bellenion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 08:39

I checked the CofE dictionary again... under 'an' it says that as a preposition it can 'also mean "with, by"', as well as listing it as the prefix....

Yeah...I got it in CoE dictionary which always surprises me. In Dragon Flame an (which I prefer an-) as "with, by" is only given as prefix.

Suilad!

[Edited on 14/7/2003 by Bellenion]
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 05:42
nad is probably the gerund of na . By the way why is it that there is no "to be" in Sindarin? It would be so much simpler to use "na" and conjugate it according to the rules of the 3a" stem verbs.Why not ? After all Sindarin is a language "under construction"

There is a 'to be' in Sindarin; it's just that Sindarin 'speakers' (humour me here) use it far less often than English speakers. Other languages do so too, although I can't name any off the top of my head right now except Vietnamese (the 'to be' verb exists but is used somewhat irregularly because it's seen as 'awkward'). Besides the fact, Sindarin is not a 'language under construction', mainly because the builder, Tolkien, died before he could finish it. Sindarin is more like a lost artefact being excavated by archaeologists; more information is being uncovered, but it still has to be interpretered, put together, etc.

(We also don't know how regular the 'to be' verb is, since in most langs the verb's highly irregular, and Sindarin might be similar -- at the best, such constructions would be Neo-Sindarin.)
jenise
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2003 12:56
Suilad,

I have the need to translate "Men are weak".

for weak I am using no strength - ú-vellas
but I want to say 'have no' for ' are'
would that be avo-garn or u-'arn.

le hannon

Nîthiel
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: July 20, 2003 01:22
What about Edain ú-'erir vellas? Men have not strength.

Sorry guys!

[Edited on 20/7/2003 by Iavas]
Mellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 02:07
As far as I know, these are the pronomial endings for verbs in Sindarin:
-n = I
-m = we
-ch = you
-g,-l = you plural?
-r = they, plural b/c of sentence

Does Sindarin have an ending, word, etc. for the plural "you"?

What I mean is if I was talking at an assembly, and wanted to say, "I want all of you to () blah blah blah," how would that be constructed? I'm taking French in school, and have found that it has two separate "you"s, single and plural. Is it needed, as in English it is not always specified.

~Mellon~
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 03:25
We dont know whether Sindarin distinguishes between singular and plural you. We just dont have any attested material.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 04:05
OK, I've got a question!

I've noticed that on prefixes, most of the time (but not always) a dash "-" is used when adding them on. Is there anything attested as to which ones do or don't (or should or shouldn't) have the dash added? (Other than 'ú-/u-')

Sometimes it seems kind of 'random' to me!

Le hannon!

Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 04:13
I really dont think there is a difference. Tolkien ocassionally does this with his singular and plural articles as well. What this probably implies though is that _u_ was an independent particle that later became compressed onto the verb (ie it was proclitic) which indeed it does (comes from the stem 3U? I think?)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 03:19
'Nother couple of questions!

1. What is the best way to say 'in the' when speaking of location? I really don't like 'vi i' but I can't think of any other way to put it.

2. We have the verb 'penia' 'set, fix'. Could it also (perhaps) be used in the sense of 'ready'? As in 'I am ready (set) to go'? (e.g. 'Penion baded.' 'I [am] ready [for] going.') :dizzy:

Le hannon!

Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 04:16
1. What is the best way to say 'in the' when speaking of location? I really don't like 'vi i' but I can't think of any other way to put it.

I just drop the definite article in this situation. That avoids the double "i's". Plus, if you say it out loud, you'll find that the "i" is nearly absorbed anyway.
2. We have the verb 'penia' 'set, fix'. Could it also (perhaps) be used in the sense of 'ready'? As in 'I am ready (set) to go'? (e.g. 'Penion baded.' 'I [am] ready [for] going.')

I, personally, don't think it could be used this way. I feel it means more like "set or fix in place". I always think of cement or something! I think "set to go" is idiomatic, as well.

Iavas
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 04:23
For "I am ready to go" you might want to say "Bedithon si" (I will go now).
Laurel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 04:45
personally, don't think it could be used this way. I feel it means more like "set or fix in place". I always think of cement or something! I think "set to go" is idiomatic, as well.

I agree.

~Laurel~
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 04:56
Le hannon! I wasn't sure! That's why I was asking!!!
whitelady
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 08:27
Suil!

I'm new ('Im sain') here and I wanted to say hello.

I have been trying to get a little card together for my twin sis for her birthday during the last few days and I have a few questions.

Question 1. My first beef is with the word 'day' in Sindarin.
For weeks now I have read poems and analyses and I keep seeing 'aur' (pl. orath) and arad (pl. eraid) in various positions.

I'm interested in using 'days' as a metaphoric term for the time we spend together. ( in 'our days together) Should I use aur or arad?

Question2. I haven't been able to find info about the form "may be" of 'to be'. As in 'May our days together be..."

I have seen a construction with 'aen' but in the TT movie, Legolas omit it to use the imperative 'Hiro îth ab 'wanath' (Find peace after death).

Any advice?

Thanks
Laurel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 08:37
I'm interested in using 'days' as a metaphoric term for the time we spend together. ( in 'our days together)

How about using "lui" meaning times/occasions? And instead of "may be", you could use "hartho", the imperative form of "hartha-" meaning to hope.

~Laurel~
whitelady
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 08:57
thanks for your answer Laurel!

I may use 'idhrinn' for 'years' instead of days just to be safer.

I have had difficulties with 'together' as well. I have found a prefix 'gwa-' but I am still unsure how to form sindarin words. Should I prefix 'idhrinn' with gwa- with a mutation if necessary?

I'm still a novice so I really appreciate your help.

Laurel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 10:37
Glad I could help. You could probably prefix "idhrinn" with "gwa-">"gwa-idhrinn". I would hyphenate it so that the a and i do not look like a diphthong. It would not lenit since idhrinn doesn't begin with a consonant. Or you could prefix it to "lui"> "gwalui" (times together). Personally, I like the adv."godref" with means "through together" for the years/times you have been through together. But then you run into the problem of whether this would only mean through as in physically going through something and I can't answer that. Assuming we can use it, we need a verb for it to follow. Maybe you could say "lui cuiniannem godref" (times we lived through together) or "idhrinn cuiniannem godref"(years we lived through together)?

~Laurel~
whitelady
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 12:27
Hannon le Laurel !

I was literally jumping up and down reading your post because that was exactly what I had come up with!! You can't imagine what joy it is for a beginner like me to get confirmation of my choices by a more experienced scholar!!

I'll post the message as soon as I'm done with it so you can tell me what you think.

i'm still unsure of the way I'll proceed with the 'May our years...' but I'll figure something out!

I've also been trying to come up with a word for 'twin sister'. I mean, 'gwanunig' is more 'one of two twins' and it doesn't seem right to me.

I've been thinking either 'gwanunthl' or another word I found in a text somewhere. It seems made up though since I can't find it anywhere else.
It's 'perg˜men'. Literally I believe, 'half of us' ('per-' ; half +'go-' ; together +'o' ; of +'men' ; us). It does look weird and I'm wondering if it shouldn't be 'pergUImen' anyway...

what do you think?

sorry to bother you btw

Cuio mae

Carla
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 12:52
Mind if I 'jump in'???

"Sister" is "muinthel"... Maybe you could make it a 'compound word 'gwanunig-vuinthel'???

whitelady
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 01:45
Sure Gwendeth you can jump in.

Any advice is welcome.

Here is what I've come up to so far...

An Nessie, gwanunig-vuinthel [lit. Twin sister]
Meleth nin ar guren
No aen ardeniad ar merin [lit. may be endless and merry]
Gwa'idhrinn vin... [lit. together days our]

meaning...

To Nessie, twin sister
My love and my heart
May our days together
be endless and merry.

Pretty dumb I know but I'm a beginner!!

A few things on the pickled parts...

1) Should there be a mutation on 'guren' since it follows 'ar? I've read contradictory things on 'a/ar'. (same for merin... verin?)

2) I was thinking of using 'my life' instead of 'my heart'. Cuilnin? or Chuilnin?

3) Last but not least. I couldn't find info on 'to be' anywhere so I used No as the only imperative form I found, adding 'aen' to add a wish flavour to it while keeping the inverted syntax verb+adjectives+noun

Please... tell me what you think

Peace

Carla
whitelady
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 02:20
suil mellyn

Ok... I'm thinking about going around the fishy 'may our days be' with a different phrase altogether...

How about.

Gwedho aen ven gwa'idhrinn vin [lit.Bound us our years together]
Ne gell [or "Na'ell"] an endrainn [lit. in joy for ages]

Meaning...

May our years together
Bind us in joy forever

I am not quite sure about the lenited 'ned' in 'ne gell' or about 'ned' anyway. Shouldn't 'an' as in 'with' be more appropriate if 'ned' is locative only?

I am also not wild about the aliteration between 'ven' (us) and 'vin' (our). But hey... best I can do!

Any advice?

Thanks

Carla [signing off for the night]
Laurel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 05:39
OK, first of all, you aren't "bothering" me, I am more than happy to help. And secondly, it is great that as a beginner you are trying...you aren't stupid, and I think your efforts are sweet.Now for your specific questions:
1.You will continue to find disagreement on whether or not to lenit after and...there are many different thoughts on this. I cannot give you a definitive, I am sorry. I can only offer my opinion. I would lenit because the second noun is an object of the verb and follows the verb even though it is separated from the other noun by a conjunction. Again, that is just MHO
2."my life" should either be "cuilen" or "cuil nín".
3. I would just hyphenate "gwa-idhrinn"
Gwedho aen ven gwa'idhrinn vin [lit.Bound us our years together]
Ne gell [or "Na'ell"] an endrainn [lit. in joy for ages]

I don't think you need "aen ven" here. You could just say "gwedho gwa-idhrinn vín" (bind together-years our)
You wouldn't use "ned" here, that is only speaking of "in time"...I would use "vi" and, if you don't mind "neo Sindarin", you could use "an-uir" for "forever".

Hope I helped.
~Laurel~

whitelady
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2003 03:11
Thnanks for all the input and advice.

I think I'll write in in tengwar now.

Wish me luck!

Cuio mae

Carla