Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What does your username REALLY mean??
on: April 02, 2004 01:38
Hello! "Lindir" is Sindarin *I think* for "One who Sings". I sing in the shower, if that counts...

Lindir
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 05:00
I use this username in most of my communications. Ísafjörður is a remote fishing area in the wilderness of the extreme northern corner of Iceland (the Vestfirðir, or Westfjords). It is a stunningly beautiful area that still remembers Iceland's old legends and way of life. In the winter, it is the only part of Iceland where there really is no sunshine for almost two months!

The name sounds very Middle Earthy, but it just means "Ice Fjord" in English.

On Google, of course, most of the sites I get for it are in Icelandic and concern mundane city management type of things. Oh, and the big internet provider in the region, Snerpa. No Tolkien references, alas.

----

Ísafjarðarbær
... Ísafjarðarbær Stjórnsýsluhúsinu Pósthólf 56 400 Ísafjörður
kt. 540596-2639 Sími: 450 8000 Fax: 450 8008 Banki: 156-26-60. ...
www.isafjordur.is/ - 11k - Apr 1, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Star_of_Haldir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 10:02
LoL Good idea! My search came up w/ a bunch of Haldir fan sites based on the movies though
Aislynn_of_Osgiliath
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 10:13
Hey, this is a cool idea! I only found my own postings here, however. Didn't really expect anything else but it was fun to try!

~Aislynn
(which, on it's own, brought up a *ton* of sites for different people! Apparently, I've been everybody everywhere! )
Rubicon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 01:36
My username, Rubicon, means:

" limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment."

"A small river which separated Italy from Cisalpine Gaul, the province alloted to Julius C[ae]sar.

Note: By leading an army across this river, contrary to the prohibition of the civil government at Rome, C[ae]sar precipitated the civil war which resulted in the death of Pompey and the overthrow of the senate; hence, the phrase to pass or cross the Rubicon signifies to take the decisive step by which one is committed to a hazardous enterprise from which there is no retreat."
dark_dread
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 03:44
i did a serch 4 mine and found nuffin. i guess thats coz i made it up myself...iwas in a state of depression and it poped into my head
MirkwoodElfCiarrai
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2004 05:16
My Username is MirkwoodElfCiarrai
But it means well first MirkwoodElf well we all
know that but Ciarrai Is my name in Irish!:love:

[Edited on 26/9/2004 by MirkwoodElfCiarrai]
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 25, 2004 12:52
When I picked my name, I randomly picked Eowyn (didn't know how to get the accent marks then). I just added words until it wasn't taken.
Google results:
-CoE
-This,, IRC's report of the users in the #trivia chat (I don't even go in chat that much... I feel famous...) Hey, look, a random quote's about me! ""i thought that lAdyEowyn was gonna come"
outlawgirl09
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2004 03:23
I got my bio on COE I need a better name...
AranelOfLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2004 10:17
I got a whole bunch of links to CoE, and the other forums that i post in, lol
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2004 11:12
I googled mine, Élistariel, with the '. I don't have it that way on here b/c when I joined, I was on my laptop, and it doesn't let me make the É. Either way, it counts the same on google...

Élistariel - 746 results...
ALL me...

well I did make the name up.

Él - star
ista - know or knowledge
riel - garlanded maiden

well that's what the dictionary I was using told me
ArwenCZJ
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2004 01:35
Arwen means well Arwen!
CZJ stands for me fav actress Catherine Zeta-Jones!
Don't be jealous now!

If you search for CZJ, you get stuff about Catherine!
Divinity
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 04:32
My username is Divinity and I got a lot of school websites. Like some from Duke and even Harvard. I think Divinity is also a type of dessert.
Kwanli
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 07:06
Well you sent me on a search I hadn't even thought of. I 'thought' I had made the name up as an Affix for my show dogs way back in 1974.
Now I find that it a real surname. Two people were listed with Kwanli surnames. The Lee masters Group....one of the organisers for an olympic sport.
A dog I'd bred was listed as absent at the Westminster dog show 1999. (Ch. Kwanli Dream Topping)
The name of a backpacker with Kookaburra Dream Travellers.
The pedigree of a ch. dog ... A dog I'd bred in 1975 showed up in the 5th generation!
The Results of a Ch. show I'd judged in 2001.
Finally two lists of Pekingese Judges.
I can't believe it dredged all that up about Kwanli and that was from just one page of searches..I didn't bother with the rest!
As far as I was concerned I found 'Ting', 'Kwan' & 'Li' in an encyclopaedia in a section on China and put them together....Fire, Pot, & Emperor. (forgotten which is which )
but I dropped the 'Ting' later.
Sorry if I bore you! :love:
Istarnie
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 12:05
Well there seem to be a lot of fanfictions written that include 'me'!!!!! And a lot of connections with Feanor...that's a mixed blessing! Istarnie was originally the discarded name for Nerdanel, wife of Feanor.

I thought my name meant something like 'Knowledge of tears'..which I took to mean compassion!. It doesn't seem to mean that..hummmmm....more like 'Lady of high knowledge / wisdom'...at least I got the 'knowledge' bit right! Obviously I am not that wise, or I would have checked the name out more before I chose it.!

Kwanli...what a list you have. I thought it was an unusual name, but you have many more connections than me .

[Edited on 2/10/2004 by Istarnie]
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 03:02
sairina in Quenya means magic and you put it with star you get=magic star. I couldn't think of anything else so this was the only thing I could think of at that moment.
~Venora~
Violinist of Mirkwood
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 03:10
Well, all I know is that "Ven" means maiden, but I have no idea what the whole name means, I just picked it out of thin air one day. (Anyone know what it is?)
ShotoKid
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2004 01:49
well, I know for a fact that Sho means pine trees and to means wave (both Japanese and together form pine wave), so I guess ShotoKid stands for "pine wave kid" :dizzy:
Oni-chan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2004 05:54
I know they will ask me this:

Did you mean to search for: Oniichan?

Hahaha...you'll see that so many people using the name Oni-chan. Its okay with me. and yes, they're also direct me to my CoE membership. Yay.

- Oni means evil/demon
- Onii means brother
(both are Japanese words)

I'd like to change my username with 'Rin Gyrthgil' although I'm not quite sure about its meaning, but I hate to re-register again!

Faithy_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2004 10:51
um, Faith. With a y.....*wiggles eyebrows*
KingPippin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2004 03:56
i looked it up and i got a polka band!?
that does me no justice..
apparently they play in dublin .. but i did get a Return of the King site in the mix..

i actually made the name when i wrote a side story that when the hobbits came back to the shire that pippin took control and was crowned king of the shire.. he took his knowledge from Gondor and put it to work in his own land
thus King Pippin, Lord of the Leaf
"you smoke too much, Pip"
briseis_orqu_apollo
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2004 11:41
Mine comes up with....wait for it:

Council of Elrond :: LotR News and Information
... Board Index > View Profile. Profile for briseis_orqu_apollo. Username: briseis_orqu_apollo

Oooh...
Ninglorithiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 12:23
testing my knowledge-retention here...

Ninglorithiel - from the Sindarin word ninglor, which is, IIRC, a golden water lily.

I'm not a blonde, but it tripped off the tongue well, and naming Elvish daughters after stars or flowers seems to be a fairly common convention, inasfar as I've studied it.

-Ninglorithiel
Ssinjin_JivElgg
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 07:33
Well my user name is Drow for Sweet Torture.:heart:. wich is what my X fiancee used to call me.. I loved it *winks* so I kept it..:evil: and translated it to drow.
Brannion
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2004 10:58
I searched in Google and it came up with that page that says match not found.
Lady_Eowyn2000
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2004 12:58
When I searched my up I got some wierd German site with parts of my username in it. That's curious.

Lady_Eowyn
Turwaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2004 03:42
very depressing....i looked up my name.....and nothing came up.
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 03:29
I do believe that Lindir means "one who sings", if my memory serves me well - probably doesn't, knowing me...

Lindir
Auralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 12:34
oookay...there's someone else out there called auralonde, and it ain't me. check out this link http://sagralisse.mediawood.net/dom_kiss.htm

There's also a lot of lotr links. There's also one to a site to do with Cecelia Dart-Thorntons Bitterbynde trilogy...which is where I got Auralonde from in the first place. It's a place in the Talith homeland. Incidentally, it also roughly translates into 'Gold Haven' if I remember right...and Talith''s are blonde.... There's also an exceprt from the book if anyone's interested in it, mind you, it's book three in the link... http://www.marsdust.com/bitterbynde3.htm

[Edited on 19/10/2004 by Auralonde]
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 06:14
I tried this, and all I got was Lindir/Legolas/Haldir slash! The poor guys, is that all the world thinks about? I was sickened, I tell you, sickened.

Lindir *who is seriously considering changing her name*
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 03:15
No, it's not all the world thinks about, but there's a ton of slash out there. Some of it's well written, some of it not. And there's no reason to change your name. Lindir was Elrond's bard and well respected. If you don't care for the slash written about the character, just ignore it a remember Tolkien's mention of him, not what fans write.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2004 06:09
I saw this and thought I'd pop in. My username, I got from a website with tons and TONS of common names translated into Elvish.

My username means, "of the white island." See if you can figure out what name that is in English. :feedback:
Minyaisilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2004 06:30
Ok I typed mine in on Google and got four links: the first two were from threads I started at the LOTR Fanatics Plaza Forum, the second two from here - my profile... LOL!!
gollum_2003
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 12:29
i think that my username really says it all

but i didnt do that for no reason i called myself gollum because he is a representation of myself and everyone in the world. You see everyone has a little of gollum inside them and gollum represents the duality of peoples personality.what im saying is everyone has a gollum side and a smeagol side, and in most people these co-exist in equal harmony and either side can show depending on the cercumstances how ever there are a few people where there is more of gollum showing and there are some people where there is more of smeagol showing.

thus is my reasoning for saying that gollum is a representation of us

(wow that was better than all the other times iv explained that . . . and longer)

however my real name means:
SINDARIN = Hebrew: who is like the Lord, who is like God. Sindarin: Manbechír, Manberu; fem. Manberuon
There are variant meanings like 'he who is like God'; since there are no gender-specific pronouns in Sindarin, the male/female pronoun is used in a name like EIANBERU. The translations above are sufficient enough though.

QUENYAN =Hebrew: from Miyka'el meaning
1. "He who is like God" Q. Ainu "angel" masc. Ainu fem. Aini
2. "Who is like God?" Q. masc. Manveru, fem. Manveri

ROHIRRIC = Meaning 'godlike': Metodlíc

[Edited on 18/11/2004 by gollum_2003]
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 03:21
Greetings,

mine translates as the following:

Latin: Christmas Day, birth
Quenya: "holy birth": masc. Airenostalon, Airenostaru; fem. Airenostalë , Airenostarë

Namárië …… ~ Airenostalë ~ xx Image
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email