Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Magoleth
Faerie Godmother of Nienna & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
Post RE: The Hobbit film
on: November 23, 2006 01:50
So - a new email from TORC and New Line have asked Sam Raimi (Director of Spiderman 3) to direct the Hobbit!!!!

Are they in a hurry or what? Or are they just determined to keep Peter out?

Anyone got an addres for Saul Zenetz - maybe we can petition him also!

The water looks very murky from where I am sitting!

[Edited on 23/11/2006 by Magoleth]
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 03:32
Saul Zaentz says that he wants PJ:

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1164265935
george86
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 04:00
New Line is in a hurry because they have the film's rights only
for a limited time.
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 05:50
Saul Zenetz: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

So if New Line can't get anyone else, PJ will get to do it? Does anybody know when exactly New Line's rights to the movies will expire?
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 07:47
I have no idea :S
I signed a few petitions and wrote two e-mails. I'm still hopin....
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 12:30

latest postings from www.TheOneRing.net:

The New Director of 'The Hobbit' is.....?
11/22/06, 5:47 pm EST
Word from a reliable source indicates that Sam Raimi has been approached to direct THE HOBBIT. Since Peter Jackson's (Middle-)earth shattering news that he is off the project, it seems the Spider-Man director may step into his place. Raimi was born on October 23rd, 1959 in Royal Oak, Michigan. His first big hit was 'The Evil Dead' but he really gained cult status with 'Evil Dead II'. It is his amazing work on the Spider-Man series that has propelled Raimi to the mainstream. His latest film 'Spider-Man 3' is due out this May.

While there is no word on Raimi accepting the invitation, it remains to be seen who, if anyone, will be replacing Peter Jackson!

Saul Zaentz On The Hobbit
@ 2:12 am EST
Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement.The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. http://www.elbenwald.de/index.php?page_name=NeuigkeitenDetails&product_id=2457

It's in German, so here's a translation of his comments.

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the Rings Trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.
Magoleth
Faerie Godmother of Nienna & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 01:28
Just a thought but if New Line decide to go ahead anyway and the "Rights" revert back to Saul in the mean time could PJ make a movie also - then we would have two Hobbit movies!

So guess which one we would all go to see!
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 02:03
I can't believe PJ quit! :sob: ! He would have done a fine job making the Hobbit! I hope this new director won't botch it up... :nono:
Aran_Quendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2006 09:10
Howdy,
it is not totally over for PJ, there still remains hope, though very little at that. I hope that they will get things situated to make it so PJ can do it, but if not then we will just have to see what the next director is made of. At least there is going to be a movie, for a while it didnt look good. And supposedly New Line has approached the director of spiderman. Hmmmm
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2006 12:49
If they get the Spidey guy to direct The Hobbit, it will be a total disaster.

The good news is: after NL's rights expire, it may be possible for PJ and Co. to make their own version.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: November 24, 2006 01:02
Well, I've signed the petition... I certainly hope that - one way or another - PJ *does* direct The Hobbit.

[PS: Aragorn1 ~ Please read the PM I sent you! ]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Elvothien45
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2006 04:30
I've signed the petition too. Really, in the letter PJ and Fran sent to OneRing.net, you'd think that New Line would want the fans to actually go and see the movie, rather than make an expensive movie that none of the fans will actually want to see. All becuse they can't be nice and only think about the money. I agree with Peter totally, and he shouldn't make the movie if New Line are going to force him to. I just hope that New Line get their act together...
anais
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2006 11:40
I think that if New line rushes into it while they still have the rights, it will come out very badly.And rushing is never a good business idea.

Maybe they will see that it's in their best interest to let PJ to direct the Hobbit and also to give him whatever he wants.I mean ,common, there is so much money coming out from the trilogy, they can't be that cheap!
He did such a wonderful and moneys worth job.Give him whatever he wants!
Miranduviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 05:52
There are two petitions online, one is PJ for "The Hobbit," and the other is about boycotting New Line movies and products until the lawsuit is settled (and NLP apologizes to Peter, hopefully).

The bummer bit is that NLP has the rights to the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman, and although I haven't read the books yet, they've been recommended to me. I think the first movie (the one with 'Compass' in the title?) is coming out next year. The thought of missing a really cool fantasy movie is kinda sad (unless I can get a friend at the cinema to get me comp tickets, where the studio doesn't get squat! I think, I hope).

NLP is also releasing "The Nativity" in December, but I think that's one I can afford to miss.

And off-topic of any LOTR movie, Tolkien was very familiar with the agricultural calendar, because he put quite a few significant things in. Bilbo's and Frodo's birthdays were on September 22nd, essentially on or near the Autumnal Equinox, and the Ring was destroyed on March 24th, near the Vernal Equinox and also usually close to Easter--the resurrection of Christ (i.e., triumph over evil).

BTW, MGM released an announcement to the effect that 'Peter Jackson isn't out of the picture' (regarding directing the Hobbit); and Saul Zaentz(?) of Tolkien Enterprises said he's just going to wait until NLP's option on "The Hobbit" expires at the end of 2007, and then he'll offer the rights to PJ and MGM to film properly.

If anyone has more news, post here!

[Edited on 29/11/2006 by Mara]
Aran_Quendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 07:55
Hey the is kinda cool, i never thought about that. Hmmm. Oh well, if they are gonna be boneheads and not give PJ his money then i hope they just lose the rights and Saul Zeantz handles the whole thing, hell do a better job, hes actually interested in the movie, not just the money
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 11:50
Got a few more articles here:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/11-28-06_2?GT1=7701

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/29/movies/29hobbit.html

EDIT: Here's another article. Elijah Wood is speaking out for Peter Jackson it seems.
http://www.mymovies.net/news/news_listing.asp?filmid=5975&sec=news

And there's something else I found which unfortunately, isn't the greatest of news. Before heart-attacks are developed though, let me say that what you'll be seeing are only thoughts.
Here's a list of possible replacement directors that IGN is thinking of:

Zack Snyder
Notable Credits:
Dawn of the Dead (2004), 300 (upcoming), Watchmen (in development)

Sam Raimi
Notable Credits:
The Evil Dead, The Quick and the Dead, A Simple Plan, Spider-Man

Ridley Scott
Notable Credits:
Alien, Blade Runner, Legend, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven

Alfonso Cuarón
Notable Credits:
A Little Princess, Y Tu Mamá También, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Children of Men

Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Notable Credits:
Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, Alien: Resurrection, Amélie

Guillermo del Toro
Notable Credits:
Cronos, Blade II, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (in development)

Ron Howard
Notable Credits:
Willow, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code

Peter Weir
Notable Credits:
Witness, The Truman Show, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Oh wait, maybe it's not so hopeless. Why? Because suprisingly, the article has included Peter Jackson.

Sure, Jackson says he's not directing The Hobbit, and New Line says the same. But now word has it that Hobbit rights-holder Saul Zaentz is personally pushing for Jackson to direct. Given this, and taking into account the critical and financial rewards that Jackson and New Line have reaped with the success of their previous Tolkien collaboration, would anyone truly be surprised if the two overcame their differences for one last hurrah? The Middle-earth movies are Jackson's precious, after all.

Website: http://au.movies.ign.com/articles/747/747881p1.html

[Edited on 30/11/2006 by Dream~Giver]

[Edited on 30/11/2006 by Dream~Giver]
Sigor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2006 09:26
Has anyone heard what Sam Raimi or Ian Holm have to say about all this? If Raimi agrees to do it with New Line, wouldn't that be it for PJ?
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2007 10:13
Noooo!! I just read this article from a link at TheOneRing.net. I'm so sad! :cry:

Shaye: New Line Blacklists Jackson

In the latest comment in the controversy surrounding a proposed movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, New Line head Robert Shaye told SCI FI Wire in no uncertain terms that the studio won't work with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson on that film or any other film. Ever. At least not as long as Shaye is in charge.

Shaye's comments marked the first time a New Line executive has commented publicly on the fracas since Jackson announced that he has pulled out of the project and also appears to harden New Line's position against Jackson.

"I do not want to make a movie with somebody who is suing me," Shaye—New Line's chief executive officer—said in an interview on Jan. 5 while promoting The Last Mimzy, a New Line family fantasy that marks his first time in a director's chair since 1990's Book of Love. "It will never happen during my watch."

Jackson had told TheOneRing.net in November that he and partner Fran Walsh were bowing out after New Line, which produced the Rings films and has production rights to The Hobbit, told them the studio was moving ahead with The Hobbit without them. Jackson has said he won't discuss The Hobbit until a lawsuit against New Line over Rings accounting practices is settled.

As far as Shaye is concerned, Jackson is no longer welcome. "There's a kind of arrogance," Shaye said. "Not that I don't think Peter is a good filmmaker and that he hasn't contributed significantly to filmography and made three very good movies. And I don't even expect him to say 'thank you' for having me make it happen and having New Line make it happen. But to think that I, as a functionary in [a] company that has been around for a long time, but is now owned by a very big conglomerate, would care one bit about trying to cheat the guy, ... he's either had very poor counsel or is completely misinformed and myopic to think that I care whether I give him [anything]."

Shaye, who was also an executive producer on the Rings films, added: "He got a quarter of a billion dollars paid to him so far, justifiably, according to contract, completely right, and this guy, who already has received a quarter of a billion dollars, turns around without wanting to have a discussion with us and sues us and refuses to discuss it unless we just give in to his plan. I don't want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company."

Shaye said that many of the Rings trilogy actors "suddenly, because, I'm guessing, of Peter's complaint," have declined to participate in celebrating New Line's 40th anniversary. "I'm incredibly offended," he said. "I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore. He wants to have another $100 million or $50 million, whatever he's suing us for. He doesn't want to sit down and talk about it. He thinks that we owe him something after we've paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars. ... Cheers, Peter."

New Line's hardened position against Jackson isn't the end of the story, of course. MGM, which owns the distribution rights to The Hobbit, on Nov. 20 told Variety through a spokesman that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing the Hobbit films is far from closed."

In his own online statement, Jackson said that New Line executive Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the Rings trilogy, argued that New Line is dumping Jackson because the studio has a "limited time option" on the film rights, obtained from Saul Zaentz.

Doesn't sound like he's too happy
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 11:56
I read that too. I was kinda upset. I hope P.J. dose go on with the Hobbit, but do you think he was kinda arrogrant about wanting money from New Line?
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 06:22
I read that too. I was kinda upset. I hope P.J. dose go on with the Hobbit, but do you think he was kinda arrogrant about wanting money from New Line?

IMHO, I do not believe PJ is being the slightest bit arrogant for wanting to hold off until the lawsuit is over. That's common sense -- why should he make another movie, if the accounting pratices and other such things weren't settled with the first three movies? PJ's protecting his rights and career, I think, and if anyone here is showing "arrogance", it's Shaye.

Here's hoping the board Shaye answers to has more business sense than their chairman, and that the Hobbit is able to continue with Peter Jackson at the helm.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 07:54
I think you will find more news on the home page...the articles have been posted there, including any updates.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 14, 2007 05:36
*sigh* This whole deal makes me sad. This whole darned thing is so stupid. Everyone is going around saying, "Oh god, New Line, Die! Boycott New Line! I hate New Line!" I just find it really sad that it's come to this. New Line Cinema had a special place in a lot of our hearts, for giving LotR a chance. I've been reading PJ's biography, and he talks about how lucky it is that New Line gave them the go ahead, how New Line was their last opportunity, how New Line said they could make 3 movies instead of just 2! Without New Line, this whole community probably wouldn't even exist, since I'm thinking the primary reason for opening this site was the arrival of the movies. Many of us would have gone on in oblivion regarding LotR without the wonderful movies, and we all have New Line to thank for that.

And then New Line goes and does this. I would love it if they could just get over all this. I don't want to hate New Line after all they've done. Mark Ordesky, Bob Shaye, we all know the names and were thankful for what they had done. And now Bob Shaye has come out and done this.

Rulea posted above whether it was arrogant for PJ to be demanding more money, and I thought this was interesting, as I initially thought the same thing... but now I've decided it's far from it. PJ is only trying to fulfil all contractual obligations. He tried to discuss with New Line for a year, before he made it a legal issue. New Line told him that if he links making the Hobbit with settling the lawsuit, then PJ could get more money, but PJ refused. So no, I don't think ti's arrogant or over-the-top for PJ to be demanding his fair share of money.

Here's some sites, that show the sort of path this whole fiasco has taken:

http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1163993546.html
PJ and Fran write a letter saying that they won't be doing the film and why. A VERY interesting read. 19th Nov, 06.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_d4j_ezine&task=read&page=1&category=2&article=755&Itemid=29
IESB reports that the deal with PJ is far from over, as the rights will revert back to Saul Zaentz next (this) year. 24th Nov, 06.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=39462
Bob Shaye blacklists PJ and says he refuses to work with him. 10th Jan, 07.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31211
PJ responds to Bob Shaye. 10th Jan, 07.

Considering that New Line have now asked a new director to come on board, it would seem as if they're not loosing the rights to the Hobbit. I guess the deal was that if they can't get a director to start the Hobbit before a certain date, then the rights go back to Saul. New Line figured that it would be better to get a new director than loose the rights altogether.

Up until a few days ago, I was feeling hopeful that PJ would do this. Now I don't think so. I'm sad that New Line has done this to themselves, and I'm sadder that PJ (probably) won't be directing the Hobbit.

I'm so glad I found this thread... I really needed to vent.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2007 02:54
A nice calm vent, ABotS.

The whole thing is a shame, but it happens and I think what makes it more than perhaps what would be of normal interest to people, if any, is the fact that it is LotR, PJ and the huge fan following.

I wonder if similar incidents have happened, but nothing is heard about them.

I think PJ would have been, or dare we even contemplate, or will be a great director of The Hobbit and has every right to take a stand against New Line, there may just be some other director out there who could do as good a job. *ducks*

It would be lovely, even if just for the continuity, for PJ to direct, but it is in the hands of the powers that be. One thought I do have is, should there be a Hobbit film, and a different director, would Ian McKellen or Hugo Weaving, or others, appear in the film.

Now that is something that would really cause a wrinkle for me. I truly could not see anyone else as Gandalf. :nono: And who else has the 'eyebrows of doom'.

So, I guess it is still a game of wait and see.
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2007 12:12
I second everything you said, Abots
Its all very sad, I mean, Mark Ordesky?? Robert Shaye? Its sad it all had to come to this
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 15, 2007 12:42
Yes, I suppose so. But we can still keep our fingers crossed. This thing is far from over!
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 16, 2007 12:41
I wonder if similar incidents have happened, but nothing is heard about them.

Oh, undoubtedly, you'd think. You were spot on with the LotR fandom making this a bigger deal then then it usually is (and good on us, too!). Fickle, fickle Hollywood... I'm sure this stuff goes on all the time. Then again, it's definitely not everyday that such as fiasco is made to create a prequel/ another movie to some of the biggest grossing films ever. Usually, you'd think, it's like, "Wow you just made us hundreds of millions of dollars! Please please please go ahead and make a similar film!"

Thanks for agreeing, newsy. At leat I know I'm not alone.

As you said, Dream~Giver, this thing is far from over, but as I see it, either New Line is dropped or PJ is dropped, so either way this isn't going to work out perfectly. But sure, fingers crossed that by some shot of hope, PJ is given this opportunity.

...there may just be some other director out there who could do as good a job. *ducks*

It would be lovely, even if just for the continuity, for PJ to direct, but it is in the hands of the powers that be. One thought I do have is, should there be a Hobbit film, and a different director, would Ian McKellen or Hugo Weaving, or others, appear in the film.

Now that is something that would really cause a wrinkle for me. I truly could not see anyone else as Gandalf. And who else has the 'eyebrows of doom'.

Ahhhh, my sentiments exactly, we're on the same page on this one. Some director may be able to surpass PJ (or even outdo him, who knows?!?) When PJ was announced director of LotR, I know a helluva lotta people freaked out. The same could very well happen here. As people have said, the Hobbit in itself is vastly differnet to LotR in so amany ways, the mindset, the everything, and maybe another director could convey this more effectively. But I think PJ's talented enough to be able to capture this change pf pace/etc, he's on Oscar winner after all.
BUT then, as you have already said, there is always the sake of continuity with having all the movies PJ's, you can just imagine them looking right together when the DVD's are side-by-side at home. The Peter Jackson Middle Earth Collection . As opposed to PJ's LotR, and Chris Columbus' (god forbid...) The Hobbit. The differences in the "feel" of the movies themselves, and there will be if there is a new director, would be enough to make it feel like LotR and The Hobbit are not One. If you understand me. And THEN of course, very imporantly, will the original cast be in this one? If not, can the new cast possibly live up, with the hundreds of comparisons that will no doubt be made?

All I'm saying is Tolkien wrote both LotR and the Hobbit, and for similar reasons, there should be a continuity with PJ.

So, I guess it is still a game of wait and see.

Exactly. Geez these rants are good for me! I don't think I've truly appreciated any forum as much as I appreciate this one now! Thanks for bearing with me guys, but I am getting a little worked up about it cause I really want to see it happen.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2007 01:02
I do hope that the fans make a difference. There are enough of us. Lol!!

The differences in the "feel" of the movies themselves, and there will be if there is a new director, would be enough to make it feel like LotR and The Hobbit are not One. If you understand me. And THEN of course, very imporantly, will the original cast be in this one? If not, can the new cast possibly live up, with the hundreds of comparisons that will no doubt be made?
Exactly!!

Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2007 11:24
I was reading some of the posts...really interesting. I just thought of another question. What if Peter Jackson just left New Line and went to another big film production company like Miramax or Warner Bros.?
AniMagus
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 06:57
omg does anyone have the link 4 the trailer???
Warlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2007 05:36
This is one of those sad occasions where business and money issues are getting in the way of what is best for the project. In this day and age it happens all too often that a movie, television series or whatever else ends up either ruined or not happening at all due to the business side of affairs. It's a fact of life but it's one I always regret when I hear it happening again.

Look at the works of Joss Whedon. He had two series that ended far too soon because of the financial bottom line. In the case of Angel it was due to a combination of ratings and contracts stopping other networks showing an interest in taking the show off the WB whilst in the case of Firefly you had ownership issues preventing Joss from offering the series to another network. Fox, depite not wanting it for themselves, simply would not let the property go elsewhere. Thus, two series that should have continued ended far too soon.

In the case of The Hobbit I fear that it may be actually worse than the movie just not happening. I could live with there being no Hobbit movie a lot easier than knowing that the movie was made but it had been so rushed or given to the wrong people that it became a shadow of what it would have been under Peter Jackson.

I hope this issue is resolved well before anything goes into production because a substandard version of The Hobbit is something that will benefit nobody.

[Edited on 23/1/2007 by Warlock]
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 10:12
The Chicago Tribune.

Sam Raimi is considering 'The Hobbit.'

Edit: Here's another link.

[Edited on 29/1/2007 by Dream~Giver]
StrangertotheRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 10:38
Oh, well, that's comforting. -_- Well, in a way it is. Sam Raimi is actually a good friend of Peter Jackson. It can't be too hopeless.

Here's my thoughts:
Though the situation seems to be getting more hopeless by the minute, I still have the upmost confidence in Peter Jackson, and I'm confident that The Hobbit will be directed by him.

Time's running out for New Line. It's obvious. They know it too.
The entire cast is on Jackson's side. Saul Zaentz (sp?), the head of Tolkien Estates is on Jackson's side. Alan Lee and John Howe are on his side. MGM Studios want the film directed by Jackson as well. Just add that with the entire fanbase, their petitions, boycotts, etc. (There's actually a rumor going around of a fan protest against New Line Cinema on March 1st, New York City.)

And to make things even more sticky for New Line, Bob Shaye went off to give that 'charming' speech about Peter Jackson, only to be made a total fool when Jackson responded to his comments in a calm, collected manner.

Yes, the situation's a mess. It won't be easy. But I'm going to keep my hopes up.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 01:12
I hope the new director will accept!
arelenriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 03:50
As long as Sam Raimi uses PJ as a consultant on the film it should turn out okay. The cast boycott is actually so strong that the ORC convention in CA in March only has David Wenham, Billy Boyd and Andy Serkis confirmed as appearing (ORC is the NL sponsored LOTR con). And of course understand that most actors are booked for public appearances somtimes months and years in advance and this means that other cast members are not very likely to confirm at this poing. I would like to see the whole PJ thing settled and soon. And if PJ endorses SR I will go see TH (only if PJ endorses actually) Otherwise I will wait for the cast crew, and Tolkien estate endorsed MGM directed by PJ himself version to come out if the NL hurried non PJ version flops (which from the length of both petitions that I've signed it will) I think unless the lawsuit is settled SR is a fool to do TH as it could provide a death knell to his career to work a total even on dvd flop(whatever happened to the guty that directed Ishtar the biggest box office failure in the history of cinema, not to mention the studio Columbia was bought out by Tri-Star the next year, I rest my case)So I hope out of the sake of his friendship for PJ he does the wise career move and tells them to go fly kites.
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 08:01
Time's running out for New Line. It's obvious. They know it too.
The entire cast is on Jackson's side. Saul Zaentz (sp?), the head of Tolkien Estates is on Jackson's side. Alan Lee and John Howe are on his side. MGM Studios want the film directed by Jackson as well. Just add that with the entire fanbase, their petitions, boycotts, etc. (There's actually a rumor going around of a fan protest against New Line Cinema on March 1st, New York City.)

I know what you mean. Saul Zaentz gets the rights back from New Line later this year, unless NL begin making a Hobbit movie before then. So NL is on a definite time limit. Finding a director for the Hobbit is one thing, having the talks with (PJ supportive) MGM is another. MGM owns distribution rights to the Hobbit. I'm thinking NL has to get passed them to make the Hobbit, and that is not going to be easy (hopefully). In the midst of all of the stuff that has to happen to get this movie off the ground, hopefully the time comes when the situation changes to Saul having the rights again. Zaentz has already stated his support of Jackson, how he believes that PJ WILL direct the Hobbit, and how he knows that PJ would make his film with them. So fingers crossed.

...if the NL hurried non PJ version flops (which from the length of both petitions that I've signed it will)

I highly, highly doubt it will flop. NL could go to the telephone directory, flick to a page, pick a random person to direct it, and it will STILL not be a flop. If it is a bad movie, it will undoubtedly not be a mega-success, but it will bring in the money. A lot of people would go to see the movie just out of pure curiosity, even if the reviews are atrocious. This is the prequel to the biggest trilogy of all time. That in itself is worth a lot of money. If it's a bad movie, a lot of people might walk out of the theatre feeling a bit sick at what they'd done to such a wonderful book, but in the end they've paid for the ticket and the money is there. The petitions and stuff are simply for PJ to direct the Hobbit, not to say, "I will never ever watch a non-PJ Hobbit."

[Edited on 30/1/2007 by ABagginsOfTheShire]
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email