Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
tom_the_bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Hobbit film
on: June 10, 2006 01:23
I seem to remember on the special features on the ROTK EE it talked about Serkis doing the voice of the witch king
Saintjoan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 11:35
I long for the Hobbit, on film

[Edited on 17/7/2006 by Mara]
IloveNenya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 04:38
WOWWEEE!!! Thats not even a years wait!!!!:love::heart::love:

[Edited on 17/7/2006 by Mara]
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 05:35
Hey everyone

Just a reminder about the board rules:

8. Please refrain from using all caps in your posts--this is considered flaming. Also, please do not use irregular characters or lots of exclamation points in your thread titles--they make the titles difficult to read.
ArwenEvenstar985
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2006 09:34
I caint wait >____
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2006 07:50
Um, didn't you guys read through the thread? It's a fake trailer made by a fan. As of now there are no plans to make a Hobbit film, unfortunately.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 05:09
I've seen that trailer before and I didn't think for once that it was real one Hehe. But it's wellmade to be fanmade video indeed!

I would have loved to see The Hobbit as a movie, but maybe just by PJ's hands? I have hoped for a Hobbit movie and still does. But I have a feeling it wont happen, but I'll keep hoping. hehe.

Mel Gibson? Nooooo! lol. Marton as King Thranduil? I dunno really. He does a fine job as Celeborn, but to see him as Thranduil too would be weird. Since Celeborn is an elf too... Tranduil was blonde too right? (That's why they made Leggie blond in LOTR?). So I would probably just see Celeborn in Marton, not Tranduil! hehe. But Billy Boyd as Bilbo? Fancy idea. Kinda like it =) I would actually have loved to see some more characters from LOTR in a Hobbit movie, thats not neceraccry in the Hobbit, but.. hehe anyway. Ian McKellen IS Gandalf. The only perfect. lol!

[Edited on 19/7/2006 by Lonnie]
RohanMaid
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2006 04:48
i wish they make the Hobbit i really love the book also i would love to see Thorin,Oin,Gloin and al the dwarfs hehehe and of course young Bilbo )) although i do doubt movie will be out in the 2006
Zoe
Lemba Chef
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 10:14
I guess it will be up to a bunch of deranged fans to make their own Hobbit movie, copyrights and permissions be damned, ahar!
*feeling piratey*

I haven't been on CoE for a couple years now and but I've really been missing my LotR lately. I wish I could get a time machine to go back to when the movies first came out

Zoe
MSLCLOUD06
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 12:58
wow i heard they were gonna make one but right on if theydo make i :heart:

ringwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 03:37
Yay! hobbit film
Alkin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2006 05:09
PJ does want to make the hobbit but New Line and some other stuido are argueing over rights. so hopefuly they will settle that and let PJ work his magic!
teya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2006 10:36
^ that'd be awesome!
smeagol_93
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2006 04:29
i realy hope that there come a hobbit-movie; the hobbit is my favorite book of the 4 book i've read (i have read the hobbit; LotR 1,2,3 and I'm not realy finisht in the sillmarillion)... if there come a The Hobbit movie i hope that peter jackson be the director...

[Edited on 4/9/2006 by smeagol_93]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 11:23
re The Hobbit Movie; (It may be filming starting next July)
Click here and here
after that click here for a bit more info about the MGM Newline agreement
Miranduviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 03:14
Copied from 'Hobbit filming to begin next July?' topic:

Someone complained that Potbelly's initial article referenced above was dated 2004, and the milestone dates have passed; this is true. Another poster wrote that even if it had begun filming in 2005, it could not be kept secret, even in New Zealand--unless, of course, everyone in the country signed a confidentiality agreement, which (considering the percentage of the population employed by PJ and all the other companies under his purview during the LOTR shoot) might be impractical but not impossible.

I have two links:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/6/story.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10400893

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1869812,00.html

For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting a confirmed source; I hit both MGM's and Sony's websites, no luck. Perhaps someone with better search skills will dig up the source. Monsters and Critics and Rotten Tomatoes (two websites with their virtual thumbs on the pulse of corporate Hollywood) have commented on MGM's announcement to make 4 or 6 'tentpole' films per year in the $150-$200 million range, including "The Hobbit." :angry:

All of the articles I did find via Google search were dated from 9/11 on. For me, that's recent enough. What is slightly disturbing is that MovieBlog has a feature about Peter Jackson enquiring about or having already obtained rights to "Temeraire: His Majesty's Dragon" by Naomi Novik, the first book in a series about a world with dragons, and their military use during the Napoleonic Wars. I had an online article, and now can't locate it again (note to self: bookmark everything!). :rolleyes:

If anyone can locate the industry source for the three references here, please post the link for it; remember that some online articles can only be accessed by subscribers to the periodical.

I brought this here because I have the most recent links after the TORn link; they even got the word out before the MGM comments! :wave:

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. :angel:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 10:40
Variety article

Bolton evening news on Sir Ian returning

Rotten Tomatoes

Lotho
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 07:55
Are you surre on that it is a reel movi cause I have se a program were one of the menn behind LORT of the rings says that it will be stupidet to make a movi over the Hobbit now when they have make lort 1, 2, 3
but if you are sure a reely happy and cant wait to get the movi on dvd
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 12:44
In this Entertainment Weekly inteview PJ says that he loves the idea of doing the Hobbit as two films and he also reminds us that many of the sets that would be used are still hanging around.
Although he has a busy schedule, he empahasizes that he'd find a way to fit this film into his schedule, if only the studios would ask him.
Salquendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2006 07:38
He states no one has asked him, but would be happy to do the film, or even if someone else does it he would eat his popcorn and watch it. Now MGM and Newline have sorted out their differences, perhaps we may be lucky and The Hobbit will be under consideration. I cant get my head around it being done by anyone else, with a new cast, as i feel most of the fans have related the LOTR with those who participated. Though i guess there are many purists who would disagree. Personally i want the comfort zone and be transported back into middle earth with those i have watched so avidly for 3 months with a box set of 9 DVD's as i broke my ankle and had nothing else to watch. I live in Cyprus and the tv here is in Greek, not my spoken language, so LOTR was my saviour..
ringwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2006 08:12
I doubt the trailer was real, seeing as a few months ago I signed an epetition to get it...they wouldn't make a petition if it was already happening. But I doubt the petition is actually douing anything, because it would have been so easy to fabricate. If you have any more news about it please PM me.
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2006 08:44
Theonering.net today:
Both Comingsoon.net and Variety are reporting that MGM's discussions with Peter Jackson about The Hobbit are at 'an advanced stage', with a view to production beginning in 2008 or 2009. The two-film concept is also apparently taking shape. The reports, citing MGM Chairman Harry Sloan as the source, suggest that the first would be a direct adaptation of The Hobbit, and the second would be drawn from "footnotes and source material connecting 'The Hobbit' with 'The Lord of the Rings'".

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117953908.html?categoryid=19&cs=1
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17549

This is very good news...
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2006 08:34
BAD news:

Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.

said PJ and Fran Walsh in a letter to theonering.net...
This makes me sad...
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1163993546
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 20, 2006 12:25
Well...if PJ can't direct the Hobbit, does anyone have any ideas in who could?

(They better bring Ian Mckellen back at least.)
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2006 01:25
Well...if PJ can't direct the Hobbit, does anyone have any ideas in who could?

That's the wrong mentality. We can't give up on PJ yet; we have to fight to get him back into the film. Sign this petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/aintnohobbitwithoutPJ/

Then spread the news.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2006 04:34
I think PJ is still going to direct the Hobbit, but it's planned that's its going to be two movies and they're still talking to MGM about it. www.theonering.net has more info.

[Edited on 23/11/2006 by Rulea]
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 06:23
Pardon me, Aragorn1, but I was only asking for ideas in who else could do it. No harm meant, right? I'm irritated with their decision just as much as the next person.

And I have signed the petition already. A couple of my friends have done it as well.

Oh, check this out:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117954301.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 12:07
Interesting.
arelenriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 03:12
A friend of mine onLOTR87 over at yahoo is posting a letter on onering.net. The link to add to the letter is [email protected]. We feel that all New Line films should be boycotted till they settle with PJ. After the over a billion dollars in sales between tickets, dvds, and merchandise and the 13 Oscars that PJ got for them they should be kissing his feet to get him to do the Hobbit. As for others any director with any integrity whatsoever (the same goes for other crew and cast members) will refuse to do this film if PJ is not involved. This is because it gives the movie studio execs across the board permission to do this type of thing whenever they wish and screw the actors, directors, and screenwriters out of millions of dollars that they, not the studio execs (that spend most of their time behind a desk or playing golf) worked their butts off to earn. You know most of the LOTR cast and crew had families and young children when they were making this movie. Many of them went weeks working 18-20 hour days and did not see said families for weeks on end. Not to mention the film industry in Australia,NZ and the UK does not pay anywhere what it does in the US, and many of the non-US cast and crew were depending on the money they allegedly didn't get from New Line to take care of their families.Also any capable director would probably not be able to do The Hobbit as most are already involved in projects such as the Harry Potter, Narnia, Inkspell, and Eragon movies. Chris Columbus is the only one that I can think of that would stick as closely to the script, and if he got involved we would lose many of the lovely NZ sets and actors since Mr. Columbus has young children and no longer works outside the US. If PJ does not direct I will not only boycott The Hobbit but any films made from the
Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales as well as everything else New Line makes, distributes etc. It is not that I don't want to see the movie but principal is involved here. Studios that respect their actors, producers, directors and crew members do not pull stuff like this. PJ should be treated with respect by New Line because he and James Cameron (who they have also tried to screw out of money if I remember correctly) are solely responsible for saving New Line from being nothing but a cut rate, not even B movie movie studio.. If they are not willing to handle this lawsuit in a reasonable manner they should do the responsible thing and hand the film rights for all works by Tolkien over to MGM so that the only director who has been remotely close to an accurate depiction of Tolkien's world (Ralph Bakshi, need I say more)will be willing to direct it.

[Edited on 22/11/2006 by arelenriel]

[Edited on 22/11/2006 by arelenriel]

[Edited on 22/11/2006 by Mara]
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 04:20
I just signed a few more petitions. I'm really sad... Still, there is hope... I hope :rolleyes:. PJ must be involved with it or it won't be as good =(
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2006 01:11
Another petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/hobnow/petition.html
arelenriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2006 01:24
I think that we should find out the contactl addresses of any actors such as both Sirs Ian(Holm and McK), and Hugo Weaving, as well as any potential directors and ask them to boycott this film as well... Where would the Hobbit be without Bilbo, Elrond and Gandal participating. After all Gollum (Andy Serkis ) is already saying he won't do it without PJ.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2006 06:39
I heard PJ dosen't want to direct the Hobbit since the talks with New Line aren' working well. I hope he still dose it!:cry:
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: November 22, 2006 07:19
I would just like to draw everyone's attention to this news article submitted by Rivka.

There is a link to email New Line in the article. If you are truly passionate about it, then I suggest you email New Line, as someone at the studio actually does read all these emails. If they get enough, it will get back to the execs that there are a lot of unhappy Ringers out there

And just to quickly reiterate what Rivka said:

Make sure you that you contact them in an articulate and mature manner, so they take us seriously. And try to get as many of your friends to contact them as possible, too.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: November 22, 2006 02:48
I would just like to draw everyone's attention to this news article submitted by Rivka.

There is a link to email New Line in the article. If you are truly passionate about it, then I suggest you email New Line, as someone at the studio actually does read all these emails. If they get enough, it will get back to the execs that there are a lot of unhappy Ringers out there

I totally agree, and would also suggest that if any of our members have friends who are fans or are members of any other Tolkien sites to pass the info along. Post it on other sites or ask mods of other sites to post the info. The more fans, the more likely we are to be heard.
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email