Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
Post RE: The Hobbit film
on: January 26, 2004 09:49
Thanks for that, Paladin Its good to know what PJ is truly thinking about his future film-making career

And just to let you know, PJ was certainly not a 2 bit director before LotR.

And also, I don't think he's ignoring the series of films that made him a superstar, but unfortunately, there were only 3 books involved in that series, and as there have now been 3 films, he's probably sensible to have other projects in line
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 10:40
Exactly atalante Plus, PJ has been talking about King-Kong for a while now, and most likely the ball on it is already rolling. You can't really just pull out of a project just like that. He *has* expressed interest in doing the Hobbit, and in reality, would you want another director taking over at this point in time? I wouldn't. I think it's safe to say that the battle for The Hobbit won't be settled for a while, so PJ still has a few years before he'd probably even be allowed to start on it.
Paladin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 12:17
Guys, Jackson's 2 biggest films before LOTR were "The Frightners" and "Heavenly Creatures", both of which were box office dudes. Up until LOTR, Jackson has not made the wisest decisions when it came to picking projects. My hope is that with LOTR, he's broken his bad streak but, personally, I'm willing to bet anyone here that "King Kong" will also be a dud.

Lastly, "The Hobbit" is not as difficult to make as were the LOTR films so I have complete confidence that someone like Steven Spielberg or any number of talented directors could do a good job with it.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 12:49
Have you ever actually watched any of his previous films? Box office success isn't necessary the best marker of a good film ....
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 12:50
Just because a director's movies are not box office smashes does not mean that they are any less talented than those directors whose movies appeal to a more main-stream audience. If PJ were not talented, the trilogy would not have been as amazing as it has been. Let's give credit where credit is due...and jeesh, let PJ make the movies that he feels passionate about! I don't want him to even attempt The Hobbit if it is not a project into which he is willing to pour his heart and soul! If and when PJ decides he is ready to return to Middle-earth, I will be overjoyed that he will be directing the movie and wouldn't even think of measuring his worth against the successes of other directors or his previous films.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 01:03
Guys, Jackson's 2 biggest films before LOTR were "The Frightners" and "Heavenly Creatures", both of which were box office dudes. Up until LOTR, Jackson has not made the wisest decisions when it came to picking projects. My hope is that with LOTR, he's broken his bad streak but, personally, I'm willing to bet anyone here that "King Kong" will also be a dud.

Except that The Frighteners was one of the most intelligent humorous horror comedies of the nineties, and had a lot of great computer work on it. It didn't work because there was too much competition and Michael J. Fox didn't pull in the crowds.

As for Heaventy Creatures, that may not have been a blockbuster, but it's a cult movie and it's still growing increasingly popular. Not just that, but it's also one of the best and most beautiful studies of adolescent psychology ever made, and it's one of the most imaginative movies I've ever seen. It's breathtakingly beautiful.

As for Kong, I have faith in it. Hell Godzilla, Spiderman and even The Hulk were huge hits - why not Kong?

Lastly, "The Hobbit" is not as difficult to make as were the LOTR films so I have complete confidence that someone like Steven Spielberg or any number of talented directors could do a good job with it.

I doubt that: the Hobbit is a very simple children's book, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy to film. On the contrary, it'll be even more difficult, and will demand even more imagination. And I do believe Peter should do it, if only because he made LOTR.
aragorn1959
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 08:55
Someone ought to devise some sort of method to determine just how pathetic fans of these books/movies really are. My guess is that this hypothetical study would show the average fan to be a true mental cripple who lives in a fantasy world most of the time. Just my 2 cents.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 10:42
Spiderman and the Hulk got publicity only because they were Marvel comic-book movies and were following the success of X-Men. I believe a lot of critics hated the Hulk, and it didn't make nearly as much as it'd hoped. Spiderman? Well, Tobey did a really good job with that. I love Tobey! He's a great actor.

ANYWAY, I've heard rumors that The Hobbit is going to be made into a film of some sort, but it won't be directed by PJ. I really don't think Ian Holm will come back to act as Bilbo again... He might, but for that one scene when he picked up the Ring they had to pull back all his skin to make him look younger! I'm sure it wasn't very comfortable... and since he'd have to do that throughout the ENTIRE movie, I'd bet he won't do it.

Its just a rumor I've heard, I'm not sure if its true or not.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 03:57
Someone ought to devise some sort of method to determine just how pathetic fans of these books/movies really are. My guess is that this hypothetical study would show the average fan to be a true mental cripple who lives in a fantasy world most of the time. Just my 2 cents.

Well, since you're posting on this site, I guess that makes you an average fan......? Not a very nice way to think of yourself
LuthienReborn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 10:36
Yeah it would definitely be awesome to see a lot of Tolkien's books put into movies or tv series, but that trailer was a recognizable fake, at least to me. Maybe I've just seen all of the LOTR movies too many times, but I could recognize the exact scenes pulled from them and I could tell when it switched movies because the style of it changed a lot.
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 11:13
I did the exact same thing! I was downloading music and videos when I came to something that said download the RotK trailer. When it was done downloading, I thought it was gonna be Retrun of the King, but it was The Hobbit! I really really can't wait! But I did hear a lot of rumors around the net that PJ wasn't doing it because not enough people requested him to. Now I don't know what to believe but all I know is that I really hope he does it!!!
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 08:32
The talk about PJ doing the Hobbit goes on and on, and he's not ruling it out, but he'll be busy for at least a year on King Kong - maybe that will give them time to work out the problems with the rights. And Sir Ian McKellan is keen to play Gandalf again. Who would play the young Bilbo I wonder? Sir Ian Holm did Frodo ages ago on radio, perhaps Elijah could do Bilbo being 'family' an all.

Well as Bilbo's adventure was blamed on his "Tookish side", I would love to see Billy Boyd as Bilbo.

I just think it would work really well.
Puppet_Master
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 08:12
OK, what´s really going on? Is the movie already on film process as somepeople says? :dizzy: I have seen there´s already a poster!! So, is the Hobbit forth coming soon or what is all that ( the trailer so far is a fake) but now posters and so?

[Edited on 1/3/2004 by Puppet_Master]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 09:01
Just to set the record straight........There will not be a Hobbit movie because the rights to the book is not being released by the Tolkien Estate. Until that happens there will not be a movie.:cry::cry:

I also heard that the great grandson of JRR Tolkien would like to see the movie come out because it would close the movies on The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings series.

I agree with Rosie T would like to see if some of the Hobbits would be willing to play other parts in The Hobbit. I also would like to see Billy Boyd play Bilbo. I think he would have a blast at the role.:love::love::love:

I also think that there is enough story to The Silmirilian(?) to have a series on tv. It would be soooooooo cool.
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 10:56

I agree with Rosie T would like to see if some of the Hobbits would be willing to play other parts in The Hobbit. I also would like to see Billy Boyd play Bilbo. I think he would have a blast at the role.:love::love::love:

Shall we start a campaign?
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2004 03:24
PJ has suggested (after the Oscars - at theonering.net party) that if we really really really want to see the Hobbit made into a film we should start a massive, yet subtle, letter writing campaign to both NewLine and MGM asking ever so politely that they settle the problem and make the Hobbit. We could do it you know. --- we got Figwit some lines in ROTK didn't we?

Remember don't be obnoxious or demanding, ask nicely, it could work. With all the money to be made you think they work out a joint-venture agreement or something.
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2004 11:52
PJ has suggested (after the Oscars - at theonering.net party) that if we really really really want to see the Hobbit made into a film we should start a massive, yet subtle, letter writing campaign to both NewLine and MGM asking ever so politely that they settle the problem and make the Hobbit. We could do it you know. --- we got Figwit some lines in ROTK didn't we?

Remember don't be obnoxious or demanding, ask nicely, it could work. With all the money to be made you think they work out a joint-venture agreement or something.

Good idea. And I'll mention Billy Boyd for Bilbo as well - see if they find it as mouthwatering as I do!
Casterino
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 01:40
I think there is a very good chance The Hobbit would be made, as a movie. I've heard too that Tolkien's great grandson wants the film to be made, that Ian McKellan would love to play Gandalf the Grey again (I may be wrong but I remember once hearing him say on some program or another that he liked playing the doddering old man best!) Plus when it comes to movie making in general, every studio, excecutive producer, distributors etc will jump at a chance to capitalise on the huge success of any film (solo, saga, trilogy or whatever), though considering the efforts of Peter Jackson and the genuine care Mark Odesky (I think that's how you spell his name) and the rest at New Line felt about the LOTR, they won't let The Hobbit or any other Tolkein adaption to screen have anything less then the great passion and dedication the LOTR trilogy had. At least that's what I believe.
Of course, with the rights held by the Tolkien estate, the getting together of returning and newq cast etc it will take time. Peter Jackson doesn't necessarily have to direct, though I would hope at the very least he ahs some kind of executive role...maybe him, Fran and Phillipa could write the screenplay but give the project to a new and talented director. And there are many great directors. I'm sure if The Hobbit directorial rights ever came up there would be 100's jumping at the chance to do it...not all great or neven good directors but I'm sure the people behind it, the cast etc (I really am referring to Ian McKellan here who seems to be very vocal about The Hobbit being made), wouldn't let anyone who wasn't right for the job do it.
Even saying everyone who was at least available to begin working on the project...and in the film industry that fact alone can set films back two or even three years...getting to the stage ready to film The Hobbit would take two or so years at least.
So it won't be coming any time soon...but I have great faith, by 2010 (at the very latest), we'll see The Hobbit on our screens. (Remember it kept 7 years+ for the LOTR trilogy to be made, and we've still got to wait months for the ROTK EE... the real end of the trilogy to get to us!)

On a last note, while it would be wonderful to see Elijah Wood or Billy Boyd as Bilbo...and Ian Holm unfortunetely is too old for the part, I think it would be refreshing and interesting to see someone new in that part.

And the aforementioned trailer...I saw it last Autumn on a ROTK page on cinema.com. Great fun as it was, it was obviously a fake...but keep waiting. The Hobbit will come!

[Edited on 4/3/2004 by Casterino]
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 07:49

On a last note, while it would be wonderful to see Elijah Wood or Billy Boyd as Bilbo...and Ian Holm unfortunetely is too old for the part, I think it would be refreshing and interesting to see someone new in that part.

If they get the go-ahead, I think they would do it in far less time than you suggest - it isn't nearly such a long book..

And I'm so sold on the idea of Billy Boyd as Bilbo, I'll be disappointed if they tried someone else. He was born to be a hobbit! He has everything the role would need as we saw from the trilogy. A bit scatty, something of a comedian, and serious when needs be. He'd be perfect I tell you! And it would fit in so nicely with the Tookish side of Bilbo.
FallenAngel26
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 02:14
I don't think PJ would have the same cast for The Hobbit as he did in LOTR. Just because he wants us to be taken away to Middle-earth's earlier times...we can't really get into the story when we keep seeing Bilbo as Pippin. That's just not something you do in film making. Maybe he could have them do cameos as some bad guys or something! But seriously, don't get your hopes up about the cast being in The Hobbit (if it's even *made*). It just wouldn't work...no matter how many fangirls go to see the movie.
Also, PJ signed on for Lord of the Rings--NOT the Hobbit. So if he does make it, everyone needs to realize that the films will not be the same. They tell two different stories. Even though they are connected by the One Ring, they are quite different. So if/when it's finally made, don't be surprised if it has some significant differences.

Though Billeh would be a great Bilbo...

And also, what's up with you people being disloyal to PJ?? I can't believe what I'm reading...it doesn't matter that his previous films weren't accepted by the Academy!! What matters is the fact that he didn't give up--and look where he is today. King Kong will be just fine! It won't be something you're used to, what with having been exposed to the masterpiece that is LOTR, but PJ wouldn't produce something until he's happy with it. So don't go there.
Caradhriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 09:08
After the Oscars, PJ DID in fact state that he wants to do The Hobbit, and get Ian McKlellan back as Gandalf. The problem lies with MGM and New Line Cinemas. The two companies have different rights regarding the making of it, one can make it the other distribute it, so it's more a legal battle between the two than anything else. He did say that he has to finish King Kong first, which he's really excited about, but then he wants to do The Hobbit. The only returning members that I can see would be Ian and Hugh Weaving, as Elrond. And since both actors have expressed an interest, I don't see that as being difficult. As for who to play Bilbo, I don't really think that Ian Holm is too old, though Billy Boyd would be good. He and the younger Bilbo do look alike so it might work. But as PJ *is* tied up with King Kong for the next two years, it'll be that long before it's even started. And he said that perhaps it's a good thing he's got 2 years of filming that one so that maybe by then the lawyers will have figured out The Hobbit and he can get started. Doesn't sound like he's just considering making it to me.

That said, here's the address for both so people can start writing them to get this ball rolling.

Metro Goldwyn Studios Inc.
2500 Broadway St. Ste 5107
Santa Monica, California, 90404 USA

New Line Productions Inc.
825 N. San Vicente Blvd.
Los Angeles, California 90069 USA

And a sample of a nice version of get off your arses and settle this!

To Whom it May Concern,

I would love to see The Hobbit made into a movie, and hope the movie rights issues can be sorted out soon.

Sincerely,

[Edited on 5/3/2004 by Caradhriel]
Caradhriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 09:52
If you'll notice at the end it says "Made by Steve Latham." He took scenes from Fellowship and from another movie and made the trailer. I almost thought it was real a few times, when I saw the scenes from the other movie..His website is (lathamfilm.com) You can see the trailer there.

[Edited on 15/6/2003 by Lady_Goldberry]

The other movie in question is an old old one called Dragonslayer. Late 70's early 80's I think. I actually just watched it the other day and had to giggle when I watched the trailer. The scene where the dragon flames at a shield and the head pops up over the top is from it. Good B rated flick.
Lila_Elensar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 11:35
Hi!

I haven't seen the trailer, but I think Peter Jackson should make a film on "The Hobbit", that would be so awesome!

Take Care,
~* Lila Elensar (aka Kelly)
~Mirimë~
Elf Maiden of Loríen
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 12:29
I've already e-mailed Newline... hopefully they'll get everything sorted out soon... :drool:
If it is made I'm guessing it won't be out until around 2010, 3 years to work out the rights/do King Kong and 3 years to make The Hobbit with pre and post-production.

[Edited on 6/3/2004 by ~Mirimë~]
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 05:37
The Hobbit should take less time than that to make, although I would think Christmas 2007 would be possible, if Hollywood moguls at Newline and MGM can get their act together and sort things out.
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 07:15
if you want Peter JAckson to direct, 2007 is way to early to expect the film. As everyone knows, he is making King Kong right now which is due out in 2006. So that would only give him a year to making the movie. In an interview, he said that he would give it the same effort and attention that he did with Lord of the Rings, and that he would immerse himself in that world once again. Although iit will only be one film being made, so it would mean shorter shooting period and pre and post-production periond, it will still take a couple years. I would agree with ~Mirime~ and say that if it will be made into a film, which is looking highly likely, that it will come out in 2009 to 2010. Although, really anything could happen.
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 01:28
Just so you know, the release date for King Kong is December 14, 2005. Which means that Peter should be done with his part in it a couple months before that.

I think 2007 may be optimistic perhaps, but 2009 or 2010? Everything really hinges more on sorting out the legal problems than anything else, and I really believe that the amount of dollars involved should lead to a compromise long before then. The Hobbit will be nowhere near three hours in length, probably much closer to two hours and will take much less time to make than the trilogy.
Casterino
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 12:55
Here's a thread from Ignfilmforce in which Peter Jackson discusses The Hobbit.

March 08, 2004 - Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is already hard at work on King Kong, his remake of the genre classic with Naomi Watts set to star, but that hasn't stopped him from dreaming about returning to J.R.R. Tolkien's mythical land of Middle-earth.

As many fans of the series already know, Jackson hopes to make The Hobbit, but there are rights issues that may hold things up. Two studios, New Line and MGM, are scrapping over the rights – New Line actually holds the rights to make the film and MGM has distribution rights.

On AP Radio this weekend, Jackson said, "I guess MGM's lawyers and New Line's lawyers are going to have a huge amount of fun over the next few years trying to work it all out. I'm obviously busy for a couple of years on King Kong so those lawyers can just go at it for a long time."

The Hobbit follows Bilbo Baggins (played by Ian Holm in the Rings films), who found the ring and passed it on to his nephew, Frodo.

Jackson tells AP that he'd want the movie to look a lot like the Rings trilogy. "I'd want Ian McKellen to be back as Gandalf, I'd want it to feel like it was part of the same mythology that we've done with Lord of the Rings," Jackson said.

It certainly sounds hopeful that The Hobbit will be made, it is all just a matter of time...I guess 2007-2008 sounds like the most relaistic time frame for its eventual release.

So, on the topic of The Hobbit, we've had a few suggestions for Bilbo. I'm still a believer that someone new should play him. Ian Holm had to have his face stretched and lots of make-up for that one brief scene in the FOTR prologue and bearing in mind that The Hobbit wouldn't even start filming until 2006 at the earliest, I think he will be too old. And yes Billy Boyd would be good but in terms of a lot of cinema goers it may be confusing to have him play two characters.
It's hard to say who could play Bilbo as I wrack my brain through all the actors I've heard of and seen. I confess that I didn't imagine Elijah Wood could ever play Frodo when I heard he was cast. I'm very glad I was proven wrong. He is Frodo.
And what cast could return from the previous films? Ian McKellan obviously who has said many times he wants to do it, and Hugo Weaving as Elrond. None of the others actually appear, but you could have Viggo cameoing as a young Aragorn in Rivendell (he is 85 years in LOTR and The Hobbit is 60 years before). Same goes for Arwen...but they should only be cameos at best. Perhaps Legolas. His father is in The Hobbit. Would anyone be annoyed if he turned up in the halls of Mirkwood and then had a few brief shots kicking ass at the Battle of Five Armies?
Anyone got any other suggestions?
Twinkle
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 03:52
I can't wait till the movie comes out, but has anyone played the hobbit computer game, it's great, and it barely changes the storyline u all should play it, tis fun!
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 12:50
Yeah!!!

I read the article about PJ doing the Hobbit a few days ago too. Iam soooooo thrilled!!!!! I hope the legalities don't take too much time, I'd like to still be sound of mind when it comes out. I really think it will be much better if PJ can do it in the same place and with the same people too. It will add more congruity (Is that a word?) to the movies as a whole. Also, remember, Bilbo was fifty years old when he went on his Hobbit's Holiday, so Ian Holm could do it if he was interested. It wouldn't have to be a young guy.
Anyway, I'm really, really, really, really happy that PJ wants to do it!!!!!
Lela333
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 02:17
i read about PJ thinking about making the Hobbit. he might not be able to because some other stupid company is fighting like mad to get rights to the movie. but pete said he wasn't very worried about not getting the rights to the Hobbit. he's very sure that he'll get the rights. hope he does. Ian McCellan said he wouldn't be Gandalf or any other chacter in the Hobbit, unless Pete directed it. Yeah!
Nimrodelanduin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 01:02
Greetings to all thou races! (in other words: Hi!) Ummm, i have read that Peter Jackson wants to do the "Hobbit" not now but maybe in like 2-3yrs(maybe more) so i began writing a "script" and i thought that maybe we could all work on this script(somehow!) and who knows, maybe someday we'll see our script on the bid screen! (That would be nice!) However, PJ said that he will be busy for the following 6-7yrs but we can still do it as a Fun LotR Fan Project! By the way, i heard that PJ will only start shooting King Kong in September. I have also read that if PJ will make the Hobbit he will make it how he sees it. He said that he is going to put the tale of Aragorn and Arwen(like how they first met) and more about Gollum. I really want that it will be a film!!!! Though i think they will have to cast another Bilbo because Sir Ian Holm is too... old? And he is baisically the main character. But that is not for me to decide. I think i should stop blubbering now and hear(read) what you guys have to say. Oh by the way, i also read that some other company didnt allow Pete to direct the Hobbit but that was before he made LotR: FotR. I heard Sir Ian McKellen said that he will really like to play Gandalf again, even though it means to wear Gandalf's nose again!
Puppet_Master
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 01:59
WHAT?? More Arwen and Aragorn love story in the Hobbit too??? For sure we will have the day when Super Legolas was born, perhaps along with the story of his parents or something books doens´t explain to Legi fans , Ah, and perhaps when great-warrior Boromir was born too ( for sure Denethor younger has to be more evil and crazy), why not? . My gosh, the movie is in process and PJ :angry: is already making his devilries :evil::evil::evil: I don´t like anymore the idea .

[Edited on 21/3/2004 by Puppet_Master]
coriel_elfwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 02:08
As intriguing as the idea is, I can't help but think a movie of The Hobbit would be a mixed blessing for many of us on the Mirkwood side of the fandom. PJ managed to get by alright with Legolas, but if he could find anyone who could do any kind of justice to the awesome character of Thranduil, he would make Orlando old news.

As it is, I fear we would end up with another trip-up like movie!Celeborn. Or worse, a distorted Denethor-type Thranduil!!!

Ai! All the Powers forbid!

Coriel
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 03:21
As intriguing as the idea is, I can't help but think a movie of The Hobbit would be a mixed blessing for many of us on the Mirkwood side of the fandom. PJ managed to get by alright with Legolas, but if he could find anyone who could do any kind of justice to the awesome character of Thranduil, he would make Orlando old news.

Well, PJ couldn't exactly make Thranduil "nice". I don't think I'd really call him "awesome" either. The involvement of the elves in The Hobbit was a great way to further push the idea of character ambiguity. There are several instances in the book where the reader has to wonder, is this character good or bad? There are not-so-nice humans. There are not-so-nice elves. The kindly elves theory would really suffer in The Hobbit, but hey, that's not a bad thing. Everyone had their shortcomings.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email