Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Poll: Which actor BECAME their character?
on: June 05, 2003 09:47
Allright, out of all the actors in LotR who really BECAME their charachter while filming, and didn't just play the part?

In my oppinion, it's tied between Elijah Wood and Viggo Mortensen. Viggo really emersed himself in his role;heck the crew would call him Aragorn directly for weeks and he wouldn't notice. But then seeing Elijah in real life he reminds me so much of my brother it's hard to beleive he could play Frodo so well. You can't tell he's an actor sometimes.

[Edited on 9/15/2004 by Diva]

[Edited on 6/1/2008 by LinweSingollo]
Viggo Mortensen
54% (1)
Elijah Wood
13% (3)
Sean Astin
6% (1)
Orlando Bloom
4% (1)
Sean Bean
2% (4)
Ian McKellen
8% (1)
Christopher Lee
0% (1)
Billy Boyd
3% (8)
Dominic Mohaghan
1% (3)
other
7% (1)
Sassafras
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Which actor BECAME their character?
on: June 06, 2003 06:39
I voted for Sean Astin. He was Sam. I was impressed. Like Viggo was Aragorn, Sean Astin was Sam when they weren't filming. Helping Elijah, looking out for him.

Ian McKellan was also very good as Gandalf. It was a hard choice.

Those three--Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen and Ian McKellan--seemed to be the most immersed into their characters.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2003 09:28
I think maybe they all did to sum extent...
~Viggo could be seen walking around in public in full costume with sword and everything... he realy WAS Aragorn
~Sean Astin was always the one lookin out for everyone, for instance... the hellicopter directing! LoL to anyone who has the 4 Disc DVD
~Orlando Bloom said he went veggie as a result of getting in touch with his "Elvish side"
~Christopher Lee is as obsessed as most of us here! He reads the LOTR books once a year, and he's been doing so for a LONG time... now that's dedication!
~Billy and Dom are just Merry and Pippin to a T! They were ALWAYS the ones making jokes and just being trouble makers and well.... ascting like Merry and Pippin, basically!
~But I voted for Viggo cuz he seemed the most into his character, to me.
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: June 06, 2003 12:45
I would definetely go with Viggo Mortensen - no doubt about it! He was Aragorn! He answered to Aragorn! He did so much to get into his character and he accomplished it so well that they really were the same person! He used to sleep out in the woods to get to know what life is like for a Ranger and he wouldn't bring a moble phone with him because he doesn't like them and because Aragorn wouldn't have one! He would mend his costume himself and he walked around in it everywhere with his sword and everything!
He was so dedicated to the job. He grew his own hair too. He used to help the other actors with their parts. And even when he had his tooth knocked out in the middle of a battle scene he asked if they could stick it back in so they could finish the scene. He also added his own lovely touches to the movie. It was his idea to show him putting on Boromir's gauntlets. He is an exceptionally talented swordsman. He did the fight on Weathertop on his first day! And he portrayed Aragorn pefectly. He is better than I imagined him in the books!! I couldn't think of a better person to be Aragorn. I am so glad he accepted the part of Aragorn (he nearly didn't!).

Viggo Mortensen=Aragorn
Adanethian
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 04:49
The acting was just perfect...you wouldn't even think they're just regular people wearing costumes and acting their parts out. :drool: I'd have to say Viggo was the best. Viggo is Aragorn. Now, if he only kept his hair that way...no wonder the crew'd call him Aragorn without even him noticing. He is Aragorn. I can't imagine Stuart Townsend as Aragorn...Viggo was just perfect for the part.
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2003 01:59
I'm gonna go with Viggo, because he did completely immerse himself in the role. He carried hi sword around with him all the time. And when you watch the movie, you think, "Aragorn". When you see, say, Elijah or Liv onscreen, you think oh, thats Elijah wood, or what ever.
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 12:21
Wow, Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost, Have you met Elijah in real?! I'm so jealous!! I chose 'other', cause you forgot a vip! : Miranda Otto!!! I've never met her in real (oh my god, that would be great!! :love, but she's such a great actrice... I'm sure she really became here character
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 10:27
No, unfortunately I've never met anyone in real life; but from all the behind-the-scenes stuff and from all the times I've seen him on TV in public, he acts just like my brother. And it would be a far stretch to think of my brother playing Frodo.

What I ment from real life was when he's not acting. I think I was looking for a different word up there!:blush::dizzy:
BoromirsBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 06:19

Definately Viggo! I don't what I can say that everyone else hasn't already said! We are so lucky he accepted
the part!!!!!!
Envinyatare
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2003 12:01
Viggo/Aragorn, of course!!
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: June 19, 2003 12:11
I think they were all amazing, but I would say Viggo, because he put so much work into understanding his charactor off set. And also Sean Astin because his charactor had the same sort of personality as him so he understood Sam and was able to play him perfectly. Billy and Dom just are mischivous little hobbits!
FallenAngel26
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 19, 2003 09:07
Sean, Dom and Billy, just because their personalities match their characters, and, because of that, they are able to thoroughly portray their characters in a believable way.

Sean's the overprotective, watchful one who's always saying stuff like, "are you sure that's a good idea?!" "should we be doing this?" "should I stand by a phone just in case?" Which is just like Sam. I think Sean said in an interview (something like), "I became Elijah's Sam." He just looks out for his friends.

Dom and Billy...they just *are* Merry and Pippin. They're witty and quick, and they playfully tease eachother...have you seen them in interviews?? It's fantastic to see them together, as themselves, but so close to Merry and Pippin! I don't think PJ could have come any closer to Tolkien's characters.

Viggo too, though. He probably had more of a challenge, because his personality doesn't mirror Aragorn to the extent that I'd compare him to Aragorn before he was associated with the movies. But he really becomes his character, which is so impressive. He has a double personality--Viggo/Aragorn, and it really shows.

I think everyone's character rubbed off on them...if they weren't similar to their character before, they certainly are now!
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2003 11:23
Hmm, let me see.

Well I'd have to say that it's a bazillion way tie between everyone who worked on it. (even the balrog and the cave troll deserve honourable mentions since WETA digital did such a wonderful job).

In conclusion. LOTR ROCKS!!

Good night.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 08, 2003 05:47
they all did a wonderfull job, but I voted for other - being Andy Serkis... Gollum ís Gollum
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2003 06:42
I can't choose one. I've never seen a cast so perfectly matched to their characters. All are very complex roles to play. Boromir would be easy if his weakness were a hunger for power, but it is love of his people. Saruman is a man who falls because he thinks evil will win anyway and he is more likely to survive on the winning side. What seems evil to the observer seems like wisdom to him. Aragorn is not a mere hero, but a man carrying the burden of both his ancestry and his love. Gimli's gruffness must not conceal his goodness of heart. Gandalf knows more about the dangers ahead than the others do and is aware that he is leading them all into dangers they may not survive. I suspect it is harder anyway to play a Maia than any other kind of being. Legolas (just let me recover from the breathlessness he inspires!) is an Elf of Mirkwood, a king's son and a warrior. He must be confident and courtly, courageous and kind. Above all, he must not be a human in an odd wig. The hobbits must not be cute comic relief but real people. All these are hard parts to play. All the actors did incredibly well. One bad performance would have damaged the whole film.

Neneithel
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2003 06:59
I totally agree with you Neneithel. Everyone played their part perfectly - which is largely why these movies are so successful.
ragnhild
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 05:45
It was so close between, Viggo and Orlando, but I chose Viggo. He's got it there in the movies. He does his character all the way. I'm really impressed! I don't think Orli did a bad job either, but he was maybe a little too unexperienced to beat Viggo on that part...
~*Arwen_Undómiel*~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 04:44
I totally voted for Viggo Mortensen. He IS Aragorn! I couldn't imagine Aragorn being played by anyone else.
Aurora_Juliet
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 11:11
All of them.
lightning_princess17
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 01, 2003 05:41
Viggo all the way. He played it so well whenever I see prmos for his movies or interviews I think, "Look Aragorn" not "Look Viggo" like I do for the others.
Grace
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2003 05:55
I voted for Frodo but I also think these characters were seriously well done:

Saruman
Gandalf
Sam
Aragorn

All of the actors who played those characters practically became the character. I just like Frodo the best.
RachieAchie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2003 10:35
I went for Viggo, because even before they asked him to do LotR he was quite withdrawn, & he said he preffered being in the woods to being around loads of other people (I think, don't quote me on that), which is pretty much like Aragorn anyay. Plus he took his sword into restaurants. You can't get much better than that...
FirienInuyasha
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2003 06:41
First choice: Viggo
Second: tie between Orli and David Wenham and Beanie

Edit: Whoops! :blush: Forgot, and I don't think that any of you mentioned him: ANDY SERKIS! HELLO!! It's not that i think that he's hot, mind. Probably be there with Viggo in First on my list.

[Edited on 24/11/2003 by FirienInuyasha]
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 28, 2003 12:19
hard to tell...well, i'd say (and i chose) aragorn since he was just perfect. éowyn was great too....and well, i think most of the characters were really, really good. but aragorn and éowyn are my favourites
Ithil623
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 02:12
Since I could not pick many people I had to go with other.I think Viggo really became Aragorn(the man carried his sword around everywhere) and Sean A. sorta took on the role of taking care of Elijah in real life and for me he is Sam in every way. In interviews you get a feeling that Miranda Otto was also really keen on becoming Eowyn, and she accomplished(sp?) it. All in all, I think everyone is great in their roles.
thranduilmirkwoodking
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 10:39
if i had to pick one character.....i'd say Sean Bean as Boromir. He really portrayred the angst of the eldest son wanting to please his father and of the patriot wanting to save his country. In those ways i see Sean Bean as the one who really felt their character.
conf_girl2002
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 07:35
i had to say 'lij..... i think he reallly did! woohoo! :love:
Samwisefan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 04:50
Sean Astin
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 02:42
Arrrghh!!!! I can't possibly choose! They were all so great. But if I HAD to make a choice, I would say that it is a avery strong Tie between Elijah and Viggo, they really became their characters. Sean was good too. But I still can't vote! There is no way I could choose one over the other.
astra_celestine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 06:10
Viggo - Sean Astin - David Wenham - Elijah

Can´t make up my mind!

If I was forced into a decision, it was Sean I think.
alduya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 04:28
I would say Viggo. He carried around his sword, and also on the commentaries or something it says that the stunt people would be afraid of him because when he did fight scenes he'd really get into it.
EldarExilePrincess
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 04:58
very hard choice. I think all of them did a good job of becoming their characters.
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 04:40
I went with Viggo

Though Sean A wasn't far behind....
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 07:19
they all made a wonderful job and they all became their characters but i think Viggo was the best...mainly cos he didnt have to become but cos he already was like Aragorn.(even tho Billy and Dom where sooo Pippin and Merry like too!!)
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 08:38
Viggo Mortensen was totally his character. He was so great as Aragorn.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email