Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Which actor BECAME their character?
on: December 12, 2005 06:14
Every last one of them... But more than any other, I think, Ian Mckellan.
Viggo Mortensen
54% (1)
Elijah Wood
13% (3)
Sean Astin
6% (1)
Orlando Bloom
4% (1)
Sean Bean
2% (4)
Ian McKellen
8% (1)
Christopher Lee
0% (1)
Billy Boyd
3% (8)
Dominic Mohaghan
1% (3)
other
7% (1)
IloveFrodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 04:49
I voted for Viggo. He really became Aragorn because he was so dedicated to his role, but I mention Sean Astin, too he became Sam on and off the screen taking care of Lij like Sam did for Frodo.:heart:

And who didn't. Well my answer is none. All actors did a great job.:heart:
Denethorsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 01:37
I said other because I chose Brad Dourif. When he played Grima, he stayed in character untill they were done filming. In fact Peter Jackson said when he had lunch, it was like having lunch with Grima. Of course the others were all fantastic. Christopher Lee for one. I also liked John Noble. He acted like any father might have acted if he lost his son. Only Denethor went mad.
enlightenedamazon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 07:48
What a tough question! Viggo [/i]was[i] Aragorn. but on the same level of fantastic acting I have to place Christopher Lee, Sean Bean, and Brad Dourif. Their portrayal was unbelievably believeable!
~Lientje~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 12:49
Very tough question, indeed! I voted other, though. Meaning Arwen. I saw FotR and TTT just recently (supposed to be studying, so watching LotR instead), and the more often I see the movies, the more she surprises me. (I have to add, when I first saw the movies I didn't like Arwen, because she breathed so loudly I could have shot her in the dark.) Muhaha! Sorry for my bad humor, comes from reading too many books for school. Anyway, Arwen it is for me.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 08:40
First person that came to mind was Viggo. But Elijah and Sean definitely morphed into Frodo and Sam without any effort, it seemed. :love:

Others, like Ian/Gandalf, and Christopher/Saruman, they did an excellent job overall, but in parts you could tell they were acting.
Countess_Nazgul
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 05:30
Hmm. I would say Viggo, or maybe Sean Bean. I thought they were very in touch with their characters. But all in all, I think Sean Astin had the most remarkable transformation, but Viggo is a close second.

However, I didn't think that Arwen was very in touch with her character. Perhaps it was just the adaptation, but it seemed like she was only there to attract young females to see the motion picture. I definitely thought Eowyn was a much stronger, more realistic and a better acted character.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2008 07:48
viggo, because he seemed so real, and he really did a lot to do aragorn well
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: March 25, 2008 08:25
I think like most people, when one reads a book they have an image for each major character in their minds. I've read the LotR many times over the years and I have to tell you, the first time Ian McKellin appeared on screen, I almost cried.

He WAS the Gandalf I had always imagined in my mind's eye. And he remained so throughout all three films.

So if I had to vote for anyone, it would be Ian, though all the actors did a fantastic job. I completely forgot they were acting and accepted them as the characters they were playing.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Eletúrë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2008 03:40
Definietly Aragorn, but I think Grima Wormtounge deserves a mention too. They were some of the best acted characters in the movies.
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2010 04:49
Yeah everyone was so great...
Bernard Hill: He´s a great actor I have noticed, he became Theoden. Wasn´t it his idea to clash those swords at Pellennor field? (or am I completely wrong?) I love that scene.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 30, 2010 08:08
Hmmm,Viggo was great,but I think I'll go with Andy Serkis. He really got into being Gollum....
phelia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2010 09:21
Viggo, duh! who else get pulled over because of their sword!
coral
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Poll: Which actor BECAME their character?
on: March 19, 2012 08:44
I chose other because I'm a fan of Elrond and Hugo WEaving, but I think everyone became their charater.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 20, 2012 09:47
Everyone did a fantastic job. I don't think there was one actor who didn't get into character and really made the audience believe. I voted Viggo though because he is my favorite. Plus the way he would wear his costume all the time. During the filming he was Aragorn all the time!
striderlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2012 12:57
Viggo all the way. Question--is he tall enough? Wasn't Aragorn the tallest of the 'kings of men'?
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2012 10:06
I think Viggo Mortensen but also Ian McKellan. They were both very good.
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2012 09:19
I'd say Ian McKellen... He was the perfect Gandalf. And Andy Serkis, of course!
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2012 12:47
LotR, most of them. The Hobbit? Only a few of them, such as Gollum, Fili and Kili, Bofur, the Great Goblin, and some other ones.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2012 06:47
Seeing that the Hobbit is going to be a trilogy it would be hard to list many actors who became their charactors, so far in my opinion is Gandalf and Gollum but both Sir Ian and Andy are familiar with the roles already. Martin Freeman made an excellent Bilbo in the Unexpected Journey and i can't wait to see the other two films. Kili, Thorin, Fili, Dwalin, Balin and Bombur were great.
The rest of the dwarfs didn't seem have enough screen time by themselves so hopefully they will in the next movie, we shall see.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2012 11:05
I enjoyed Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. He fit the part quite well. I was very pleased with Martin Freeman as Bilbo. We saw Bilbo in a new light, so brave. Also, no one but Cate Blanchett can portray Galadriel.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cheyenne-Lexi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2012 02:22
MY personal favourites were Viggo & Sean B (based on combined good-looks) however LoTR was one of the few films were each & every actor was cast brilliantly & perfectly. All were equally talented although some more than others
Heruin ned i-Nazgûl
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2012 05:51
I voted 'other' due to the fact that I believe that they ALL became their characters. Some to more of an extreme than others. I have yet to finish watching all of the extras on the EE disks but the more I find out about how dedicated everyone became to the series the more I love those actors, and glad that they took on the roles that they did. For I can no longer imagine anyone else becoming the characters that I have came to know and love.

And here's to hoping that the Hobbit crew do the same!
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2012 08:41
In both LotR and TH, I can't imagine anyone else playing any of the characters. They all did a phenomenal job. But a few that came to mind are Viggo, Sean A., Dom, Martin Freeman, and... well everyone else! PJ cast everyone perfectly
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I think Elijah, Viggo, Sean and Orlando did the best and playing their parts.
"A sprinter learning to wait."
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
I would have to say Hugo Weaving, for the effect his performance had on me.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
fra.pip.merry
Council Member
Send Message
Well,in my opinion both in Lotr and in the Hobbit all actordls found themselves in the character they were palying( as I read in some interviews)and I think it was something like showing another part of themselves...the charscters were like them in some ways,so they became their character

[Edited on 08/08/2013 by fra.pip.merry]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Orlando, Ian, and Viggo
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I voted Sean Bean, because to me he brought Boromir to life and gave him personality. There was not a lot to work with from the books, and I never really got a grasp of him in my many readings other than he was a great Gondorian soldier and captain of men.

I have to agree with Denethorsgirl (who posted 7 years ago) that Brad Dourif really brought Grima to life in all of his creepiness.

Miranda Otto did a good job with the Eowyn character. Could it have been better, yes, but she was right for the part. Unfortunately it seems to have been the pinnacle of her career in my opinion.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I voted for Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn; my second choice would be John Rhys Davies as Gimli.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Evil~Shieldmaiden about Viggo Mortensen. He was truly the embodiment of Aragorn. That being said, I really cannot imagine any other actors playing any of the parts. For me, they were are perfectly cast.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Huddy
Council Member
Send Message
I went with Viggo Mortensen. During the one of his battle scenes he chipped his tooth. He begged them just to let him glue it back on and continue so he could use the pain in his character. They sent him to the dentist anyway! And in TTT when they find one of the Perian belts in the fire, he kicks an orc helmet and gives such a yell as would wake the dead; such anger, sadness, and pain are mingled in the cry. I only found out later he actually broke two of his toes in that scene. Not to mention Peter Jackson called him 'Aragorn' off set and he never noticed.
But really, every actor did an amazing job. I watched just a few days ago and searched their eyes trying to see through their acts. They did great. All of them!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I freely confess to being an old purist grump who judges the performances as directed by PJ by how true to my conception of them in the book he allowed them to be.
Sir Ian McKellan, Sean Bean, Christopher Lee and John Rhys Davies get my vote for film characters who have become the faces I see when reading the books. The characterization of Davies was, for my taste, much too much comic relief, he should be the grimmest of the Fellowship.
As for Aragorn, PJ’s rendition of him doesn’t even measure up to the Faramir of the book. The Aragorn of the book had no realistic hope of toppling Sauron and regaining the thrones of Arnor and Gondor, but it did not matter to him. He was clear on his errand, no matter if he succeeded or failed (what Tolkien called the indomitable northern spirit – think Ragnarök.) By comparison, PJ has Viggo Mortensen play Aragorn as something of an angst-ridden wimp!
Which brings me up to Faramir. What I have read on websites discussing the LotR films, PJ is almost universally vilified for his utter mishandling of this character. He is NOT the pale, pathetic hero-worshiping (Boromir) weenie of PJ’s imagination, but rather to be placed well above Boromir (and even his father Denethor). Brave, not reckless. Wise beyond his years, compassionate, able to decide for himself against orders even from his father. He, like Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf and others KNEW there was no way to safely use the ring, a level of wisdom neither Boromir nor Denethor ever came near (yes, out of desperation too, but mostly out of arrogance).
And last, Frodo telling Sam to go home, falling for Gollum’s dirty little intrigue – the most pathetic display of ignorance of an absolutely central point of the book, the mutual support of Frodo and Sam which was the only reason they succeeded – only together, no other way.
Frodo goes psychic much too early, something PJ seems to be repeating with Thorin in TH. He seems to love near-cracked characters hopping around his movies (not just Tolkien- derived movies), and simply does not know where to apply restraint where it is appropriate.

That said, if I manage to get into a “Tolkien? Never heard of the guy” mindset (VERY difficult), the movies are hugely enjoyable . They are just not nearly as close to Tolkien’s spirit as the moviemakers believe them to be (yeah, self-delusion is one of the most widespread disorders we suffer from).

[Edited on 12/06/2013 by Gandolorin]
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
A most thoughtful post, Gandolorin. I pretty much agree on all you wrote.

Appearance-wise, the cast that became their characters in PJ's LotR were Christopher Lee, Karl Urban, Ian McKellen and Bernard Hill (I know he's supposed to be white-haired, but whatever). As for TH-AUJ... noone. Or, well, does the computer makeover of Andy Serkis count? As for characterizations... ditto. Or well, maybe Butterbur or someone very minor. :/
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Andy Serkis certaintly counts.

Now, how about for the Hobbit films? Mine are Richard Armintage (Thorin), Martin Freeman(Bilbo), and Lee Pace (Thranduil).
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email