Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: February 05, 2004 06:45
:love: I've lived in New Zealand for quite a few years, but I was born in England, now residing in Canada, but do I remember some of those old shows that you're talking about. Did anyone ever see the old Forsyth Saga that was made in the 70's. That also was really quite good. One of my favourites was the Jewel in the Crown. Also, I just loved the Horation Hornblower series of films. Maybe because I like sailing. Nenya Gold. I must be one of the few that remember The Prisoner. I think mainly because it was set in a beautiful village by the ocean called Portmerion and Patrick Mahgoohan was such a beautifully intense actor. Your right though, it definitely was a little weird and hard to understand sometimes.

I am so glad somebody remembers Credence Clearwater Revival. For me at that time, they were the ultimate group. I got to see the Beatles once, just after they had their first hit record in England. I loved them, but CCR were the ones that really had the 60's message.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 05:35
Hi, to everybody,

I've not posted here for a while, just been mooching through the posts that are here.

Perry Como - 'Memories are made of this' or what!

I remember all the TV programmes mentioned.

I think the one that BelleBayard was trying to think of was 'The Mallens' (Catherine Cookson). I loved Poldark, especially Robin Ellis, he was a heartthrob of the day. Loved 'I Claudius' and 'Upstairs Downstairs'. The first series of the 'Forsyth Saga' was the best.

Arveleg, you make me chuckle. We all mostly horrible as far as our kids go. Don't you find yourself thinking 'Heavens, I sound just like my Dad/Mum'. Even my daughter says, she hears herself and 'hears me'.

I love CCR, but have to admit that The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix (sorry, but this will upset some people - I couldn't abide him) etc were most definitely not my cup of tea. I sort of remember their music, but it was not in my top ten list of must listen to or buy. I liked the more traditional 'hippie' type bands like Steel Eye Span, The Seekers etc.

Talking of Derek Jacobi, I don't know if his series 'Cadfael' is played in America. But you should watch it. Its basically about a medieval monk detective. I think Derek Jacobi is an excellent actor.

Here's a little something that I found through an e-mail from my daughter:

'According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's and 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint, which was promptly chewed or licked.
When we rode our bikes we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent clackers on our wheels.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.
We ate bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.
We did not have Playstations or X-boxes, no video games at all.
No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.
We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.
We rode our bikes and wore our coats by only the hood.
Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

Our Generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibiity, and we learned to deal with it all, before Lawyers and Governments regulated our lives, for our own good.

And you're one of them - Congratulations.'

Hope that wasn't too boring, but I thought it was quite true, although some of the items may relate more to the UK than other places.

Do you remember what the very first programme you saw on a television was and when.

I can - it 1953, we got the TV for the Coronation, and the programme was Andy Pandy. I was 7 years old. Funny the things that stick in your mind, particularly as I can't always remember what I did yesterday. Old Timers Disease.

Whew! I'm quite breathless now.

Namarié

CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 10:55
The earliest tv show that I can remember is Bozo's Circus. I know that I should have a better memory than that, but being a 60's-70's child...well...anyway, I used to come home from Kindergarten at lunchtime to watch Bozo and eat my lunch. I walked home, by myself every afternoon for lunch. At age 5! I would never dream of letting my 5 year old walk anywhere by herself!

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 02:29
I have so enjoyed reading these postings. It's like a trip down memory lane as far as the music goes. I saw a few of my favorites: John Denver (saw him in concert during the mid-70s. It was "far-out!), C.C.R., and the Beatles. Although I was a bit on the young side when the Beatles came out, I do remember my sisters being wild about them. Then as I got older, I got wild about them too. Funny thing about that now, my late teenage son loves them as much as I.

I also am into Celtic music. I'm a teacher and so I have it going quietly in my classroom almost nonstop. Has anyone heard of the Mozart Effect? I wonder if it works for Celtic music? That and all the CDs of the LOTR. I get lost in the music of Middle Earth.

Classical music and jazz are also a good choice for me. Not this "screamy music" that my son likes so much. Like fingernails on a chalkboard.:angry:

I indoctrinated my son well when he was in elementary school to the LOTR. He had them read by age 11. He's a total fan. He's even met they guy who played Pippin (Billy Boyd) and the guy who played Haldir (help me out, I can't remember his name!) at a sci-fi/fantasy convention in London. He got autographed photos and talked to them for a long time. Do you think he got his old mom one....:angry: Not even. Oh well, I'll get to look at them when he comes home.

Sorry for going on so long. Love this outlet for LOTR. People's eyes kind of go glassy when I get started on it. It's nice to have people who understand.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 06:45
Rosearialelven, I remember Andy Pandy. My favourite was Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men and Muffin the Mule. They were still being shown when I was a kid in the early 60's. Cadfael was really a great series. Derek Jacobi is a one-of-a-kind actor, really good. I liked him in I Claudius and in Gladiator.

Scots 56. I have a real love for Celtic music too. Since I've been in Canada, I've discovered Loreena McKennitt and have all her CD's. Have you ever heard her. She really is quite terrific. I'm only here for another couple of months, but I hope to take in one of her concerts before I go back to NZ.

I have all the LOTR CD's. What's everybody's favourite one. I still cannot decide. I really enjoy Annie Lennox, Into the West, but then I like Enya as well.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 07:22
jessamyn ~ I love Loreena McKennitt!!! I first heard her sing the poem "The Highwayman" and had to know who she was! I've since purchased several of her CD's and play them all the time. I don't tire of her music and it's such great music to write RP to. I also really like "The Lady of Shalott", being another old poem.

As far as the LotR CD's, I think I was most moved by the Hardinger Fiddle when they flew over Edoras for the first time. I still get chills when I hear it, even as many times as I've played it.

"Gollum's Song" is soooooo hauntingly beautiful and sad and "Into The West" just brings tears to my eyes...:cry: Music enhances the movies so very much and I am so glad to see that Howard Shore has won so many awards. He deserves them all!

So to answer your question, I CAN'T have a favorite because they are all sooooo wonderful! :heart:
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 05:32
Alas, United in the memory of the hippies who wrote "Frodo Lives" on the subway walls. Oh wait, that would be me

My big brother gave me a copy of JRR Tolkein’s masterpiece in1963. I began reading the Hobbit and remember being consumed with the story to the point I did nothing else but read the entire 4 book set. It was the first Novel I ever read all the way through. I remember; I cried, and still do; I laughed, and still do; I felt deeply for the emotions the characters were having to deal with; I felt my life mirrored that of several characters; I remember going to Woodstock with a self proclaimed wizard who walked in peace and wisdom. I cannot tell you how many times I have read these books…Lets just say I still have the original 1963 copy and it is well read.

I admit I was a little disturbed with Peter Jackson when I heard he was taking this masterpiece and turning it into a movie. Tolkien is a part of my life I have read every book he has written and my love for his writings and the characters of Middle Earth have brought richness to my life and help me see the world through different eyes.

I read his books as bedtime stories to my children, my son would ask for me to read the “Wizard story” he called it. My Daughter would have me read over and over about Galadriel’s mirror and when they were ready I bought them their own copies.

Now I read them to my grandchildren who will read them to their children.

JRR Tolkien changed who I was and who I would become.

Topaz Dragon

Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 06:43
[/b]Jessamyn:[b] I think Muffin the Mule was my all time favourite, I had the puppet. I loved watching Children's programmes with my children and became quite a fan of some of them. I have to confess that I watched them even when the kids weren't there: Mr Ben, Bagpuss and Ivor the Engine being favourites.

Does anyone remember 'Noggin the Nog'.

[/b]Scot56:[b] Hi, Craig Parker played Haldir.

I can't honestly say that Tolkein's books have changed me as such, but they do allow me a place to escape to when I'm tired of the world we live in. I always was a dreamer.

In addition to my previously mentioned music loves and hates, I enjoy Native American music and just flip for Mozart. Anyone like Bobby Darin? He was so cool. Perhaps a little before your times, though. I thought it was sad when he died so young.

I have to confess that I don't have [gulp :blush:] any LOTR music. However, I think tomorrow may change that - first stop HMV Store!

[/b]NenyaGold:[b] I loved 'The Highwayman' when I was at school, such sacrifice. It positively appealed to my romantic nature.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 07:56
I got the RotK soundtrack for Christmas, and I love it! It helps me escape when I need to.
Bobby Darin? Hmmm...that name sounds familiar, but I can't quite remember. Did he sing Mack the knife?
jessamyn- I love enya! I used to play one of her cd's for my preschool class at naptime. They really loved it.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 10:35
Rosarialelven: I remember Noggin the Nog! At least I can remember the name and that I did watch at some time in life, but can I remember what it was about. No!! You should try listening to The Highwayman on Loreena McKennits CD The Book of Secrets. If you like music in the Celtic style it is just beautiful.

Nenya Gold & Carol P: I play both Enya and McKennit when I work. I find their music both soulful and inspirational. They get my creative juices flowing!

LOTR's music is fantastic. Howard Shore I think, did a wonderful job. I find myself going, "Ah, that's the Ents, or the Elves marching and I can visualise whole scenes in my mind. If I had to pick one song or piece out of all that I probably could'nt. One that really moves me every time I hear it is, The Lament for Gandalf in FOTR. How I wish I could sing like that!

Scots 56: Craig Parker is Haldir. He's a very popular actor in my country of NZ. He's appeared in episodes of Hercules and Xenia and also in Mercy Peak, which is a NZ soap opera.

Topaz Dragon:I've worked in the film & TV industry for a long time and been an avid LOTR fan for years longer. When I had the opportunity to work on LOTR, I jumped at it. I was also kind of leary at how PJ was going to transfer my beloved books to the big screen and when I heard that some of the best stuff was being left out and other stuff put in. Well, I just about freaked. As they were filmed all at the same time, there were days when your head was just spinning. You always have a good idea how they will look, but it is'nt until the final cut that you see how they will work. These are the only movies that I've been involved with, that I've actually watched all the way through! Most of the time, you watch some of it, and its, "Ok, that works, that sucks, or terrific," and you move on, or are already involved in the next one. This was, "Who cares about the cuts and additions, it's amazing. I want to watch it again."

Would have loved to have gone to Woodstock. Has anyone else been? My son went to the last Woodstock and he had a great time.:love:
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 04:15
OMG, Jessamyn, I love Loreena McKennitt, She Rocks, she has such an enchanting voice, and her music is brilliant. Dante's Prayer is playing right now.

I listen to her and Enya all the time in my office.

I am an investigator for Child Abuse and Neglect and Celtic Music Sooth's my spirit and calms my clients.

Craig parker is Awesome I remember him from Xenia and Hercules They were a few of my favorite show's. Oh wait, thats right he is my ava.

Rosearialelven: Lets see....Bobby Darin..."You must have been a beautiful Baby," " Clementine," "Splish Splash" Yes I think I can definitely say I remember him.

I must say that although I was fearful of Peter Jackson and the making of these movies...He has exceeded any expectations I would have had. His love for the written word show's and I have become a Peter Jackson fan as well.

Topaz Dragon

[Edited on 12/2/2004 by TopazDragon]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 04:59
Topaz Dragon: So how did you like the movies after they were done? I..like you...was more than a little leery when I hear they were making the books into a movie. So much of the joys of the books were due to the visualization of each person reading the stories. I wondered how P.J. could do justice to them. While they aren't totally true to the books, I do feel the the "essence" of the Professor comes through.

As a teacher, I'm sure glad to hear of you reading this to your children, and consequently, your grandchildren. My own son was weaned on LOTR and has passed it on to his friends. No grandchildren as of yet...thank goodness.

Rosearialelven: I do remember Bobby Darin. Not that I was listening to a lot of that at my age, but I sure have enjoyed him on the "oldies" stations. I identify more with that type of music.
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 12:00
Phew, so many more memories since I last looked at this thread *nostalgia overload alert*.

Noggin the Nog and Nogbad the Bad?? Wonderful!
Andy Pandy was my favourite as a tiddler tying with Bill and Ben. My mother tells me I used to sing the Bill and Ben song loudly in church when I didn't know the hymns!
I discovered Loreena McKennit a few years ago and am also a fan. I play a lot of "Early" Music and there is quite a cross-over in some groups between the strict purists, the Celtic folk trend and the "World" music trend. LMcK brings together several of these influences in a most interesting way.

LOTR soundtracks. Well, I love them all and for the past couple of years they have been the soundtracks to my daily commute and also to my efforts in the gym. I cannot choose a favourite total soundtrack, but I can single out individual highlights: for me "Isengard unleashed" is one of the most stirring and cathartic pieces I know, up there with Verdi's Dies Irae (if shorter). Play that after a bad day and I can once again take a calm view of the world. "Journey in the Dark" and "the Bridge of Khazad Dhum" are brilliant in the gym on the treadmill - I can imagine the orcs are after me and funnily enough this is quite an encouragement
I am very fond of the songs at the end of each of the albums, and I include "There and Back Again" here.

Jessamyn - to someone who was actually part of Peter
Jackson's project what can I say but "Thank You"? :love:

Does anyone else remember various series which the BBC originally broadcast at tea-time on Sundays for family viewing? There were things like "The Flight of the Heron", assorted Jane Austens, "Children of the New Forest" etc. Don't know whether they reached PBS.

Oh yes, anyone else a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan? Originally a radio broadcast, which created much better pictures than the tv series which followed - the books were good though. All those froods who really know where their towel is say "aye"

TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 04:54
Topaz Dragon: So how did you like the movies after they were done? I..like you...was more than a little leery when I hear they were making the books into a movie. So much of the joys of the books were due to the visualization of each person reading the stories. I wondered how P.J. could do justice to them. While they aren't totally true to the books, I do feel the the "essence" of the Professor comes through.

I also felt that Peter Jackson captured the essence of Tolkiens masterpiece. He kept his word and stayed true to the thematic material. I love the movies and still love the books just finished reading them again this past week.
I am now moving on to my other favorite author Margaret Weis.

'Hitchhikers guide to the Universe." let me see where did I put that? oh yea, under my towel.....aye

Peace
Topaz Dragon

"Frodo Lives"
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 05:02
Someone (and I won't name names...) sent this to me today... For some reason, I thought of this thread... I laughed out loud at some of them. I hope you do too!

Some of the artists from the 60's are re-releasing their hits with new lyrics to accommodate us Baby Boomers... Tood news, for those feeling a little older and missing those great old tunes...

Herman's Hermits - "Mrs. Brown, You've Got A Lovely Walker"
The Bee Gees - "How Can You Mend A Broken Hip"
The Temptations - "Papa's Got A Kidney Stone"
Ringo Starr - "I Get By With A Little Help From Depends"
Marvin Gaye - "I Heard It Through The Grape Nuts"
Procol Harem - "A Whiter Shade Of Hair"
Johnny Nash - "I Can't See Clearly Now"
Leo Sayer - "You Make Me Feel Like Napping"
ABBA - "Denture Queen"
Paul Simon - "Fifty Ways To Lose Your Liver"
Roberta Flack - "The First Time Ever I Forgot Your Face"
Commodores - "Once, Twice, Three Times To The Bathroom"
Rolling Stones - "You Can't Always Pee When You Want"
Bobby Darin - "Splish, Splash, I Was Havin' A Flash"
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 06:39
:love: lol I just could not stop laughing at those song titles. Thanks for making my day Nenya Gold!!

Lady Adaneth: I remember watching Children of the New Forest. Do you remember The Railway Children? Something else I used to watch was Rag, Tag & Bobtail. Were'nt they great shows!

Topaz Dragon: I have never read any of Margaret Weiss's books, but I think I have to get one. My son tells me she's a great fantasy writer. Can you reccommend which one to start with? I love Raymond Feist's and Robert Jordon's books, great reading.

I had some great (I think) news yesterday! Come September I get to be a grandmother for the first time. God, I am just too young for this!!!! Help!!!

Are any of you in the Realms? I'm thinking of joining one, but really have not a clue which. I left a question on the Realms Forum, but have not had a reply. I need some help. Feel free to let fly. Give me some ideas, if you can. Thanks!!:blush:
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 02:34
Jessamyn - yes, the Railway Children , and also another one I remembered - The Phoenix and the Carpet. And I remember Rag, Tag and Bobtail. What about Roobarb & Custard, or Krystal Tips and Alastair?

Realms - not that I'm biased or anything, :blush: but Yavanna is fun and you'll see both me and NenyaGold hanging out there....

Goldie, love the list *LOL*

Topaz Dragon - I knew there must be at least one
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 05:41
lol, that list is great! I'll have to show it to the hubby, he just turned 40 a couple of days ago.

I'm a Hitchhiker's Guide fan, that series is on my special bookshelf along with Harry Potter and LotR, and other books that are special to me.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 06:13
:love: Thanks everybody for the advice on the Realms. I appreciated all of it and am certainly going to be looking at some.

Lady Adaneth: I remember Roobarb and Custard. This is such a nostalgia trip. Brings back so many memories. Is it just me, or does anybody else think kid's programs were, well, much more geared to kids' being just kids' back then?

Have to admit it's lovely being able to take a long sabbatical from work and have some time on my hands. I read a lot and have been reading books by some of my favourite authors that were put aside for just such a time. I've never read any of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but I did watch some of the TV series, but could never quite get into it. Possibly because I kept missing half of it!! Any reccommendations for some good reading.

To all you Margaret Weiss fans: I just picked up my first Margaret Weiss novel, 'Mistress of Dragons,' and plan on starting it tomorrow. Have any of you read it?
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 04:02
I have found a book that others might be interested in. It's called Eragon by Christopher Paolini. It has definite influences of Anne McCaffrey (one of my all time favorites) and Tolkien (my absolute favorite). What's really amazing to me about this book though, is that it was written by a 15 year old. He graduated from high school at 15 and started on this book. It's pretty amazing to say the least. Plus, I think it's a really good read.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think kid's programs were, well, much more geared to kids' being just kids' back then?

jessamyn - I think the whole world is bound and determined to make kids grow up so much faster than we did when we were young. I'm a teacher and see it all the time. Fortunately, at my VERY small rural school, it's limited somewhat. I really see a change in those kids after they leave us and feed into the larger school system near us. And going to the store...I am appalled at the little girls' clothes they have for sale. I told my husband that I was glad that I didn't have to dress a little girl. I would be forced to bring out the sewing machine from retirement. I would not put my little girl in most of the clothes that they are making nowadays.

Does anyone remember Captain Kangaroo? That was my favorite show as a child. Maybe that was just around my little part of the world though. I even watched him up into college until he retired. He was along the same theme as Mr. Rogers's Neighborhood.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 04:44
I LOVED Captain Kangeroo!!! What a simple show on the surface and yet it gave us good morals without preaching. Bob Keeshan died just a couple of weeks ago at only age 76... That used to seem sooooooo old...

I agree about kids growing up faster than we did. We were allowed to be kids. I played with my Barbie until I was 12 and now I RP with girls who are 13!!! And they are creative and very good writers and sometimes shock me with their life experiences. I am so thankful for my upbringing.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 11:19
Is it just me, or does anybody else think kid's programs were, well, much more geared to kids' being just kids' back then?
Hmm.... one of the local Seattle kids shows.. J.P. Patches, they would slip in a veiled, somewhat tame adult joke here and there...

Example-
Miss Smith: What do they call a rafter in the high-school Gymnasium?
J.P. Patches: I don't know, what?
Miss Smith: Gym Beam (veiled reference to Jim Beam Whiskey)

I know... stoopid But hey, I was raised on that show! They had the best cartoions and J.P. would do the ads for the local bread and jam and peanut butter and such himself, until regulations came along and prevented him from direct advertising. Then Grampa Patches would do it

Anyway, I go on... Yes I remember Capt. Kangaroo!

[Edited on 2/16/2004 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 07:11
:I've got to admit that there are times when I'm somewhat shocked at what the TV and movie industry put out for kids. I totally think that we thrust children into the adult world at too early an age. We don't give them time to grow up and just be kids.

Scots 56: I totally agree about the clothes. We dress 2 year olds like mini adults. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy, but I want little Jonny or Jane to be 8 years old, not going on 20!

Arveleg: My kids watched Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers. They were good shows for kids.

This is a good day up in Canada. It's actually warming up. For someone who's not seen too much snow - this has been quite the experience. It must be time to get the sun specs out!!
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 01:14
I watched Captain Kangaroo as well. What a great show. My kids liked Seseme Street and Mr. Rogers when they were very small, I have a bunch of Seseme Street song tapes that they still watch.

I know what you mean about the clothes. My daughter, who is almost six, wants to dress in her words " like fashion." I don't know what she really means by that, and I don't think she knows too. My niece, who is 9, wants to dress like a rock star, including dark makeup around her eyes and very old looking clothes. Eeek! I think she looks terrible! My boys don't care about clothes at all yet.

It's warming up here too, jessamyn. (Wisconsin) It was actually 40 degrees yesterday and today. Spring isn't very far off!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 02:24
Speaking of kids... (slips in a change of subject... )

There is a movie I think most of you would like because it takes place in the Summer of 1969, during the first landing on the moon and Woodstock. You will recognize most of the songs in the soundtrack and I bet you will be singing along to them.

It is a story of *coming of age* for a mother and daughter. Diane Lane plays the mother, Anna Paquin from *The Piano* plays the daughter (she has grown up!) and it's called *A Walk On The Moon*. It was made in 1999 and is not something I would recommend your children watch if they are under 16 (ah, you hoped I'd get to the kid reference soon...).

It's something to watch with your significant other because it has something for each of you. Diane is a beautiful woman to watch and Viggo Mortensen is, well, those of you who like Viggo will know what I mean. :heart:

One of the very interesting things about it is I still cannot reconcile in my brain that Viggo played both of the characters, Walker Jerome and Aragorn. If you've seen it, what did you think of it?
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 12:31
I haven't seen it, but now I want to. I think it will be one of those movies that the hubby refuses to watch. He's stubborn about anything that he thinks will be a "chick movie." I think I've heard of that movie before.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 06:31
Have'nt seen the movie, but if it has Viggo in it I have to watch it soon - beautiful man! Talking about Viggo and movies, 'Hidalgo' is in theatres soon. It looks to be a really good movie. I aim to be one of the first in line.

One of my favourite movies is 'Shadowlands.' It's about the life and love of J.R.R.'s friend C.S. Lewis. It stars Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. I think it was made about 8 years back. One of the only movies I have ever cried at besides ROTK. A real tearjerker and definitely another chick flick. Has anyone seen that one?

Back to the kid's thing! Has anyone come across anything in any of Tolkien's works re: elf children? I have'nt read all of his works, but I would be interested to know where they fit in! For instance: The elves are immortal - do the children grow up in the same life pattern as mortal children and then just stay roughly beautiful for ever. (don't I wish)! Are there any really old looking elves? :dizzy:
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 03:18
To all you Margaret Weiss fans: I just picked up my first Margaret Weiss novel, 'Mistress of Dragons,' and plan on starting it tomorrow. Have any of you read it?

Jessiman: Sorry it has taken me so long getting back. Yes I am in the middle of that book you will love it. I was going to recommend you start with The Dragon Lance Series. But Hey Mystress of Dragons is a great starting point....Superb Image Happy Reading!

NenyaGold: I could not stop laughing at your list…Image That was so funny.

It is a story of *coming of age* for a mother and daughter. Diane Lane plays the mother, Anna Paquin from *The Piano* plays the daughter (she has grown up!) and it's called *A Walk On The Moon*. It was made in 1999 and is not something I would recommend your children watch if they are under 16 (ah, you hoped I'd get to the kid reference soon...).

That was a great movie, and Viggo….*sizzle*Image I wonder if he likes older women...Image

Topaz Dragon

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 02:47
TopazDdragon:
That was a great movie, and Viggo….*sizzle* I wonder if he likes older women...

I really had to laugh. At my brother's birthday party we were talking about Viggo. All of the "mature" women of the family were there and were of a like mind when we thought "yum!". Anyway, my nephew's girlfriend said that she really liked Viggo as Aragorn until she found out he was 45. Gasp! She said, "But then I found out how old he is. He's so OLD!" All of us 'older' women about fell off our chairs laughing. The youngest of those present was 46. It kind of puts things into perspective. I thought it was highly amusing.

jessamyn: I have heard of Shadowlands but didn't realize it was about C.S. Lewis. I'll have to check that out. As for it being a "chick flick" sometimes my husband will watch, other times he just rolls his eyes. That's why we have a DVD player in the bedroom. Then there are no arguments. It's amazing how many times he does come in and watch with me. I keep quiet.
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 05:01
*snaps back to attention after brief swoon over Viggo*:drool:

Skipping back to Jessamyn's question re Elf children - I think they are in the Lost Tales. I got this book out of the library a while back so can't check for you but it was definitely Lost Tales or Unfinished Tales or something. The "subject" of one of the first stories in the book is visiting an elven hall where there are lots of children who sit and listen to stories. I'm pretty sure these are elf children but have vague memories also of them ( or some at least) being human children who have strayed into dreams and never got back home... JRRT did have some tendencies to tweeness in his early stuff!

Thinking about it, in The Sil there are lots of complex family relationships with Elf sons and daughters so there must have been children. There isn't a lot of happy childhood stuff in this book however!
I'm hazarding a guess that the general absence of children from the stories of Middle Earth reflects the society in which Tolkien lived, where the children lived rather separate lives from their parents until they were thought to be old enough (at least teens) to be able to join the adults for dinner. The hobbits (whose children are mentioned more often) are more like the less formal, working, rural communities where you probably would have seen children helping their parents with farm work etc.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 12:08
I've not been to this thread for a while, so hi to everyone.

Just browsed through all the posts, trying to pick up the flavour.

Films and books, seems to be the agenda at the moment. Oh, and Viggo. I will certainly go and see Hildago. Any film on horses is a must for me, love them and I suppose I could put up with Viggo being in it .

I have watched part of Shadowlands, but felt it was a little 'dark' for me, although Anthony Hopkins is great in it.

I just love Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragons of Pern' series fantastic. Scot56 wouldn't you agree? I don't think I've seen Margaret Weiss, but will have a look for her books.

I have to admit that I didn't really think about elf children or the absence of them, but at present I've only read the Trilogy and am in the early stages of The Silmarillion. Perhaps, they weren't really relevant to those particular stories given the context. I don't really know. My mind doesn't get into things that deeply, I don't think. But it is certainly something to contemplate.

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 03:32
Rosearialelven
I just love Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragons of Pern' series fantastic. Scot56 wouldn't you agree?

I most definately agree. Well worth the read. Well worth multiple readings.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2004 07:15
I'm another Anne-fan of many years. Am also a long standing member of her fan forum website.

As for Hildago, I don't think I want to see it if it involves horses getting harmed and/or killed. I am horseless now but still love them too much to want to see that.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 04:18
Next time that I visit the library, I'll have to check out both of those authors. Our library is so tiny, I may have to have them order from somewhere larger! I may take my older son to see Hildago, he would probably enjoy it, as would my husband.

heehee, Viggo is just so old! That makes me laugh! I've always been the oldest or at least one of the oldest of our friends. That hasn't changed since our move to Wisconsin. My husband just turned 40, but he looks older. (he insists on wearing a beard, and it's going gray) I'm 42, but I look much younger, so we even out. I remember being in my 20's and feeling much older than I feel now.:dizzy:
kiraIfalmalinnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 06:10
Thanks to all for a fun thread!

I can't think of much to add, but it's nice to know I'm not the only geezer here.

First got hooked in the early 70s, read Hobbit, then the trilogy right through. I recall we put on the Hobbit as a play in school. Pretty lame, but fun. Don't know how many times I've read them since, but off and on to date, and the Silm when it came out.

I have slightly mixed feelings about the movies. It is wonderful to see the next generation getting into it. I think PJ did better with it than I expected could be done adapting the story to film. At the same time it is sad that now so many will have the movie images rather than as described from the books and imagined. That was important to me. It seemed like such a real place, not a movie set. I think the films were very well crafted and well cast for the most part, but I still imagine it as I have for years.

"a green alternative to each day's madness here in a poisoned world" – that's it.

I'm having such fun reading all your trips down memory lane, so I'll contribute a short one – June 1977, Led Zep at the Gardens, me in a t-shirt a schoolmate had hand-lettered with the "all who wander..." rhyme in tengwar. I could have sold about 100 if I'd had them. The show was AWESOME, especially when they did No Quarter into the Battle of Evermore, oh heck, the whole thing rocked.

Hey, anyone heard from Bex? This thread is up her ally I'd think.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email