Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: January 08, 2004 08:07
I am finally back online, winter holiday then severe weather gave me another week off. Glad to be back!

mae govannen to all new visitors to FOF!

Scothia - I am so very sorry to hear about your son - I am sure he sits in the halls of Mandos, near Namo himself, awaiting his turn to enter into Valinor, where he awaits you.

Paladiriel1
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 09:44
Trust a newbie to bump this thread up!
Here I am, just turning 40 and feeling good about being able to post here.

After much frustration with PJ's work, I am more than ever devoted to discussing the Books.
Perhaps you do not want to read about my life's story involving Tolkien; I find it tiresome myself! If you don't, just skip the next paragraph.

I started reading Tolkien thanks to my wonderful hippy/yippie uncle. He gave me a set of the books in a very timely fashion - right after first televising of the Rankin/Bass The Hobbit.
I was delighted but let down. Where was Bilbo? Who was Frodo?! Finally I settled in and found a new character to rely on - Aragorn. In high school I was overjoyed to sign up for a course that required reading FOTR, and of course, I aced it. Since then I have met and lived with a man who was instrumental in my studies of Tolkien's works.
We read The Red Book aloud to each other every night, chapter by chapter. It was a wonderful experience. He not only collected Tolkien's books, but purposely bought artwork, map books, and supplied me with the tools I needed to learn
the written language. I was hooked.

Well, here I am today, still reading, writing reviews of the chapters of LOTR for another web forum, and happily answering the really deep questions of 3rd or more time readers. (Sometimes the true newbies are a bit irritating. How many times will I have to discuss whether Legolas was Blonde or Black Haired, if Dwarves mate, and if Balrogs have wings?!
Oh, the agony. (My appologies to anyone who's posting in the Balrogs thread!) :dizzy:

I'm still studying Tolkien as we speak - it's a never ending treat which I adore.
Uh, however, I really feel for those around me - especially my long suffering husband, who endures lecture after lecture. Now he stops me and says "The reader's digest version, please?!"
He fully expects that one day I shall put my supposedly "volumous knowlege of Tolkien" to some good use - meaning making some money off it. Pah! Who knows.
Maybe someday soon.
Cheers to all of you!

RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 09:09
Mae Govannin Paladiriel1,

This thread is just for that - a place where long time Tolkienfiles can discuss the books, compare/contrast with any of the film or radio versions. We don't argue whether or not Balrogs have wings, and I am happy to say we have never fawned over Orlando. And like you we we know the books -

On other news - I just tickets for the Seattle Symphony performance on July 16th - very cool.

Again - welcome Paladirel1 - and welcome to your 40s
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 11:19
Welcome Paladirel1! Yes yes yes... May the books return to the forefront now that the hype of the movies is finally ebbing??? I have to admit it was hearing about the movies that brought my attention back to Tolkien, and to the net as well. Anyway, pleased to meet another Tolkien scholar!
My area of interest is the Numenorean settlements in Middle Earth in the Second Age, and the Numenorean Kingdon in exile of Arnor and its generations.

Good to see you again Ranger No!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 12:24
Yay, Paladiriel1! You found us! :love:

Great story! I love to hear how people have been influenced by Tolkien. It is so nice to know that I am not alone!

You might check to see if any of your husband's collected art work, maps, book covers, etc. are in CoE's gallery and if not, photograph them and submit them. My old posters (yes, my room was covered with them) are in there as well as photos of my paperback books that are falling apart from all of my referencing.

I had quite a lesson yesterday from watching The Ellen Show. Sean Astin was on so her *game show* of the day was LotR versus Cheese. The contestant in the audience was given a word and had to guess if it was a cheese or from LotR.

The last word was Bounder. The contestant guessed cheese, as did I. We lost... It was from LotR. Oh, right!!! I do NOT remember the word Bounder from LotR. So, I pulled out my trusty RotK index and sure enough, there was Bounder!!!

And so my education in all things Tolkien continues even after coughthirty-fourcough years!

And welcome to your 40's! Although 50+ looks pretty good too! :heart:
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 11:20
Greetings fellow travellers in ME! Thanks to Nenya-Gold for pointing me in this direction, and how delightful to find a thread ready-populated with some of my favourite CoE-ers

The Hobbit is the first book I remember reading. I also remember being told off at school (aged only about 7) for writing what I would now call a "fan-fic" - I wrote about what it must feel like to be Smaug setting out to kill off the Lake-Men! I never would have guessed that this form of writing would now be incredibly popular I don't indulge myself any more.

I read LOTR (lovely Allen & Unwin hardback, red boards with a scary Eye and Ring on the dust covers) soon after that, and then was fortunate to be given the Sil when it came out.

I have re-read them all at frequent intervals ever since. I suppose I had a bit of a lull for a while, but all the memories were rekindled by the films coming out and I have of course been back several times to LOTR in particular, usually checking things like "who exactly said that" and " what really happened then.."

Like several of you, I have also been rediscovering the child's eye view of ME by reading to my son, now 8, who also enjoys the films. We have read "The Hobbit" but are still working through the 5th Harry Potter before we start on LOTR. I bought him a beautiful set of the trilogy for his birthday last year - the version with the Alan Lee illustrations. I have of course read it to myself to enjoy the pictures!

Until I discovered CoE, I had generally felt a bit isolated and kept my obsession to myself pretty much. Sadly my husband (despite looking to my eyes like an exile from ME only perhaps with slightly shorter hair) is not a fan at all and moans about the time I spend on this site. In fact I have had all sorts of other interests rekindled as other Yavannildi will testify - tatting, poetry (sort of :blush. So many fellow fans are also really interesting people in other ways too!

Hope to talk to you guys more. Anyone else had a go at reading the Kalevala? I must confess I haven't reached the end yet but I enjoy dipping in for short bursts occasionally to enjoy the imagery and the style. One can see where the Professor picked up at least one of his verse styles. I think ME also inspired me to go off and acquire a few books on Anglo-Saxon and Early Middle English. Recently I have been trying to learn Swedish and these help a bit with vocab!

See I feel I can admit these oddities here *LOL* :love:

RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 05:07
Mae Govannin LadyAdaneth

I am pleased to again meet a new FOF poster, to hear your tale, and share our table here at COE.

The SAGA has touched all our lives in so many ways, we contiue by sharing. I love to hear you are sharing it with your son - it will be a part of his life and that of his children.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 08:10
Hi,
Thanks to Nenya-Gold for introducing me to this thread, and I also began to think CofE was peopled by the young and was feeling a little older than Gandalf. I am one of the older, elder members, a straight-after-the-Second World War-baby.

I only joined in December, and having just acquired a computer at home, I have a lot to catch up on, travelling around the site.

I, too, came to the books through the films although I had seen Bakshi's animated Lord or Rings in the late 70's, with my son and have to admit that I found it quite good.

I find the trilogy so easy to read and can readily find myself transported into Middle Earth. I have just started The Silmarillion and, although tentative about suggesting, I find it quite 'biblical'. I know that Tolkein was opposed to allegories, but I can't help feeling the comparisons.

Anyway, away from that topic, I agree that the films and the books have to be kept apart, as I tried to do when seeing TTT and ROTK. There were, unfortunately, parts that, although I steeled myself, were for me a little disappointing, especially in the ROTK - Eowyn's fight on the Fields of Pellanor and the arrival of the eagles for a couple of examples. Although, I suppose to those who hadn't read the books, the eagles would not mean very much.

I loved the part in ROTK when Gandalf helps Pippin with his fear of dying. I cried. And from the moment the ring is destroyed to the end of the film, I must have used boxes of tissues.

After seeing the ROTK, I was off work the next day and had time to finish the book (ROTK) for the second time, whilst doing this I was playing the Fellowship and Two Towers. I started at about 08:30 am and must have cried on and off for the whole experience. :cry: I hate for the books to finish, so start them again and find it's like meeting an old friend. :heart:

It's great to know there is a forum for the maturer members.

Thanks for listening and I will be back.

Nemarie

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 12:53
Yay! LadyAdaneth and Rosearialelven you found us! I'm so glad! :love:

Since we're all of that *Elder Sister/Brother* age, I'm going to go a bit off-topic and ask what was your favorite band of the 60's or 70's. I'm just curious what you were listening to back then and if you still listen to them now.

My all-time favorite band is The Beatles!!! :heart: They were so much a part of my teen-age years as was the British Invasion, the Motown Sound (the Supremes, Four Tops, Temptations, etc.), and, of course, the surf sound with the Beach Boys leading it. ("I wish they all could be California girls!" I was lucky enough to be one! )

We had a lot of bands play here at the San Jose Civic Auditorium and I saw The Animals, The Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits, Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Doors.

Later, when I was in High School, I was lucky enough to go to Winterland and The Filmore in San Francisco with my older brothers where I saw The Jefferson Airplane, The Who (probably 5 times!!!), The Moody Blues, Donavan and so many other bands I can't remember at the moment.

But my most favorite concert of all time was The Monterey Pop Music Festival in the Summer of 1967! There were so many great groups that we saw and among them were all of these people who have since passed on::

Janis Joplin (what a voice!)
Jimi Hendrix (oh, what a sexy man!!!)
Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones (nearly bumped into him on the fairgrounds)
Keith Moon, drummer for The Who
and Mama Cass Elliot

We were in the third row and I still have the photos I took and nearly got my camera taken away for doing so!

So I'd like to hear about concerts you've been to or bands you've seen from way back when. Their music has a special place in my heart although I now listen to Celtic, LotR soundtracks, and other much newer music.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 01:43
Ok well here’s a very brief history of my musical tastes from the 60’s and 70’s

The very first music I ever remember liking was Cliff Richard, I then moved onto the Monkees (I was a member of the official fan club!).

Then came the time of the late 60’s early 70’s – So many good singers and bands. I was more a Rolling Stone than a Beatles girl (but did like the individual work of John Lennon and George Harrison. I loved bands like The Who, Yes, Roxy Music, Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix Experience and King Crimson. Singers I really liked were Neil Young and Leonard Cohen

I have always been and still am a big fan of Todd Rundgren (and was interested to find that he was the man Liv Tyler thought was her dad for some years).

I didn’t really get to go to many concerts until I left home for uni (so no Isle of Wight for me ) Best concert I ever went to? – had to be seeing Todd live after so many years of loving his music.

The only music I really listen to now from those days is Todd and occasionally Roxy Music. Now I’m more into classical music plus a bit of modern stuff like Dido. Also, thanks to Ranger Norlin I’ve discovered the wonderful music of The Tolkien Ensemble.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 04:19
Hi,

My first faves in music were probably mostly American, Bobby Vee, The Four Seasons, Bobby Rydell, etc, but then the Beatles came along and that was me. I was a Rocker (Biker) in my late teens, black leather, studs and motorbikes, I also had a horse - bit of a wild thing. :heart:

My friend and I saw the Beatles at the Apollo Cinema in Manchester in 1963. We queued the whole day before and through the night, and managed to get tickets for the second row. I couldn't speak for about a week after through screaming. What were we like!!! :blush:

Just a little snippet! My friend and I decided to go to Liverpool to visit John Lennon at his Auntie Mame's. We got there and no-one was in. When we got home, I decided to write to them to tell them how disappointed we were that they had not been there. I got an answer, personally to us, signed by all four. I kept the letter for a few years, then gave it to an boyfriend, from whom I had just dumped- he was a Beatles' fan and I felt a little remorseful. :dizzy: Doh! How much would that letter be worth now!!! :cry:

I didn't really bother with concerts that much, only on a very odd occasion. Did try several times though to see P J Proby, but he was not very reliable and never turned up. Loved his voice. I believe, he lives in Bolton, England.

Other groups/singers I enjoyed were The Trogs, The Pretty Things, The Animals, MoTown, Surfer Sound and the list goes on and on.... I was a Rocker as I said earlier, so didn't really go for Mod groups like the Stones and The Who.

The 70's and 80's passed me by, more background music than anything else and didn't really like it.

The 90's, very repetitive and soooo many performers.

I have always enjoyed Classical music. I now have a penchant for Irish music and some obscure irish groups, The Men They Couldn't Hang and the Pogues to mention a couple. I like Morrissey, The Smiths, John Denver and Dido. I also enjoy Gregorian Chants when I'm in a bit of a dark mood - must have been a monk in one of my other lives. (How diverse is that lot.) :dizzy:

I love to hear music from throughout my life, as individual songs or pieces of music conjure up all sorts of memories with difference reactions for each one.

If I had to pick a particular performer from out the past that I still enjoy today, it has to be John Denver. :heart:

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to share a little reminisce, hope I haven't gone on too long; talk to you soon.

Bye

[Edited on 26/1/2004 by Rosearialelven]
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 11:11
*is awed* wow Rosarialelven, you actually saw the Beatles? And Goldie, you were at the Monterey Festival in 1967?

During the 60's and first half of the 70's I was a Classical music evangelist and didn't really appreciate all the great pop/rock that was around until I was a bit older. When I actually got interested in anything more recent than 19th Century, it was stuff like Queen, Yes, Rush, Tangerine Dream. I didn't get to any rock concerts until Uni, by which time it was the 80's and we should perhaps gloss over that bit.. :blush: Most I don't really listen to now, but I make an exception for the Yes album "Going for the One" which brings back memories of an idyllic holiday going along the English canal network in a boat with good friends from University. Ah, nostalgia isn't like it used to be

I do find that there are many individual songs which take me right back to a particular place and time, even though I might not have been really conscious of them at the time.... Yellow Submarine as a small child dancing in the kitchen... Donny Osmond and "Puppy Love" made me want to throw up even as a pre-teen and still does! ... Abba "Dancing Queen" was a party at school... Status Quo "Sweet Caroline" was a school minibus trip to Scotland...
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 10:06

Here's to a WONDERFUL day, Rosearialelven!!! :love:

Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 10:48
I never went to Woodstock or the MPF, but I did get to many incredible concerts over the years, especially at the Fillmore between '70 and '73. Among the memorable concerts I attended were Pentangle, Melanie, Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull, Hot Tuna, Grateful Dead, Moody Blues, and Arlo Guthrie. More recently, Stevie Nicks' was the best one I've gone to. I'd have to say that hers was the best I ever saw, along with the Moody Blues.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 10:49

To NenyaGold,

Oh, WOW! It doesn't get much better. Lovely cards and pressies from my family *jumps up and down with delight*, two private messages and now your wonderful post. *Wiggles hand in front of face*, I'm beginning to fill up :cry:.

No, really, I think it's lovely, like being part of an extended family.

After coming 'screaming and kicking' into the 21st Century in respect of computers, internet, etc, (through work, we got Broadband which allowed us all to use the computers for surfing, which was good of the bosses), I think its amazing that we have the ability to communicate with people all over the world at the touch of a button. :blush: Waxing a bit lyrical there old girl.

Anyway, thanks again. You made my day just a little more special than it was already. :heart:

Bye

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 10:56
Oh Yay! I just LOVE to surprise people! :love:
You are most welcome, mellon nîn!

By the way, you have THE BEST Avitar!!! Calvin and Hobbes are my all time FAVORITE cartoon!!! I have all the books! I so miss reading them every day in the paper. :cry: And one of my all time favorite quotes is:

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want!" I still have the colorful Sunday cartoon tacked on my bulletin board. *sniff*
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 08:21
Wow... music in the 60's I had an older sister who bought the albums, and I grew fond of the Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver, and the Doors. On my own I got into John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green years), Jimi Hendrix, Cream, James Gang, Led Zeppelin, which my first ever live music exposure was at the Gold Creek pop festival in August 1969. I remember the Doors, but what blew me away was Led Zeppelin as they powered their way through the whole of album 1, and a good part of Album 2 and some old Yardbird covers (Smokestack Lightning & Train kept a rollin') I wasn't yet a teen and I was straight as an arrow amongst a sea of drunk & stoned hippies, but the music stood out!

My biggest regret? In the summer of 1970 I and a buddy had tickets for the Jimi Hendrix concert at Sicks Stadium in Seattle. The night before the concert, I managed to get in some trouble with parents and was grounded. I was going to sneak out, but opted not to, vowing to see him next time. Little did I know there was no next time because in a couple months he was dead.

Later live shows I saw through the 70's was Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Robin Trower, Scorpians (before their popularity in the 80s), Peter Frampton on the 'Comes Alive' tour, Black Sabbath (original lineup w/ Ozzy) ... so much music... I quit going to concerts for the most part in 1980, though I had plans on seeing the Who. Ended up I broke up with my first wife before that show and she took the tickets.

Saw Santana in 82, and Crosby Stills, & Nash in 84. Haven't seen too much recently as the prices are unjustifiably (to me) high. Yes is coming to town in April though...

Sorry I went off on the music! Happy Birthday Rosearialelven! And welcome to the 40's thread.

Welcome LadyAdaneth as well!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 09:22
Hi,

Thanks for the birthday greeting Arveleg.

To NenyaGold, and all, I used to read Calvin & Hobbes in the Daily Mail in the UK but it disappeared.

My daughter kept two of the cartoons and framed them as they were just wonderful.

One is about Calvin & Hobbes playing with clay but Hobbes is totally engrossed with his new smock top and totally ignores Calvin; Hobbes goes on to say how much he likes his smock and that 'actually I just like to say smock - smock, smock, smock, smock, smock, Calvin loses his temper and ends up shouting '[b][/b]What on earth is wrong with you?'. I wish you could see it, it just breaks me up.LOL. The other one is Calvin in bed and being afraid of the dark, wishing he was asleep so it would be morning; Hobbes is asleep and Calvin watches him sleeping, he cuddles up to Hobbes saying 'Good ol' Hobbes. What a friend. Things are never quite as scary when you've got a best friend' and falls asleep. Awww!!.

I think Hobbes is Calvin's 'Sam'.

Hope you didn't mind me waffling on there.:blush:

TTFN (Ta ta for now)

[Edited on 29/1/2004 by Rosearialelven]
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 10:03
Arveleg ~ I totally forgot about the Yardbirds and Cream! Eric Clapton, in my opinion, is a genious! I have respected and loved his work from day one! It amazes me how someone who has been through such a rough life writes such amazing songs. Layla will forever be one of my most favorite hauntingly sad love songs! And some of Led Zeppelin's music went so well when I would read LotR. I had forgotten that too! :love:

Rosearialelven ~ Calvin & Hobbes disappeared because their creator, Bill Watterson, from all that I have read, was being pushed into commercializing them which was something he did NOT want to do. I like the fact that those characters are only in my mind and are not a stuffed animal or toothbrush or other trivial dust collector that so many cartoon characters have become. He had the guts to keep them *real* in our minds, only. :heart:

Thank you both for the fond memories!
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 04:56
My very first concert was to see Chicago, at Cominsky Park in Chicago! I hardly ever went to concerts as a teen, too busy working and going to school. I went to a few good ones:
Aerosmith/Foreigner, Devo, Heart. Most of them were dates. I like all kinds of music, but I'm more into 70's and 80's than 60's. I love, love, love, Beatles Music. I also like Frank Zappa's music.
I never snuck out to concerts. The only time I ever snuck out was to go to "Disco Demolition" which was a Chicago White Sox baseball game where we had to give a disco record for admission. They blew up all of the records in between games of a double header, but it all went wrong and ended up turning into a riot! Luckily, I had the brains to get us out of there quick, even though my friends wanted to join the riot. Boy, was I grounded after that!!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 05:04
Hi all to the "elder" thread. I was so glad that it was pointed out to me. I'm of the older set that grew up during the 60s and 70s. I first found the Tolkien books my freshman year in college. I was introduced to them by an old beau. I've been hooked ever since. I've read them way over 30 times and feel like I come home every time I open them.

I am a teacher also. While I'm a jack-of-all-trades, master of none in the education department, the Lord of the Rings plays a major role in my classroom...right down to the music. I have managed to infect several of my students with Lord of the Rings-itis, although not to the extend that I have it.

My son came to the series early on in life. How could he not with me choosing the bedtime stories??? He read The Hobbit when he was about 10, then the Lord of the Rings the next year (with a little help from mom on the harder pronunciations) He's been a fan ever since. I consider my job well done on that score of parenthood.

Again, I am so glad to know of the well-heeled thread and look forward to getting to "know" everyone here.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 06:38
MG ~ You are always welcome here! Besides, a fan of Clapton??? :drool:

Carol ~ I always wanted to see Chicago, but they never came to an auditorium near us... I LOVE their music (yet another band I had forgotten about) and I have at least their first four albums.:love:

Welcome scots56! I'm glad you found us. It is so great to know there are more of us here on CoE.

Now here's a story you might enjoy regarding music... I met my husband through one of his roommates whom I was dating and when I first went to their apartment I looked through a record collection that I thought was my date's.

It was like looking through my own record collection because it had all the same records in it, down to the Beatles *Yesterday and Today*, the one that had to be covered because it had the baby doll parts on it. It even had the same rip mine did in the upper corner to see if it was a covered one or one of the newer ones. It was one of the newer ones.

The collection, to my amazement, even had the only Frank Sinatra record I have in mine, "September of My Years". I thought at the time, wow, this guy and I were destined to be with each other but he was a jerk and we dated for only a couple of weeks. Then I told him bye-bye.

It was a few weeks later, after I started dating his roommate and the man I eventually married, that I learned the record collection was not the jerk roommates but my husband's!!! Now THERE is destiny!!! :heart:
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:44
Oh am I glad I found this thread. I was beginning to wonder if there actually were any fans over forty!!! I'm pretty new to this site, but think its the best out there. I first started reading LOTR an age ago. A friend loaned me the books and did'nt get them back for nearly six months. I think I read them about four times. Then I got my own copies. I think the movies are great, even though they deviate from the books just a bit. I think you have to look at the movie and the books as two separate things, that come together and make a great whole one. Does that make sense?

What really made my day, way back when, was when I got offered a job working on the movies, in set design. For an avid fan that was the ultimate!!

Does anybody remember Credence Clearwater Revival. I loved that group. Wow, this is too cool! No, "Is'nt Legolas just the cutest." Give me Aragorn, anyday!!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 09:10
jessamyn ~ Welcome to FoF!!! Yes, we're here, we Elder Sisters and Brothers of CoE! :love:

Your comment about considering the movies and books as to separate things that come together makes sense to me!

Wow!!! To have worked on the film must have been great! You and Aerwaen should talk! She worked on the set for a week and has some great stories to tell. But you won't find her in this thread... She's one of those Leggy Lovers!

And I second the emotion! "Give me Aragorn anyday!!!" :heart:
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 04:16
Nenya, what a great story!
Music does bring people together, doesn't it?
As does a love of reading, and in my case, Tolkien. My son just got back his test on TTT, which he read for his accelerated reading project at school. He got 100%! I am so proud of him, he worked so hard. He got 98% on FotR, and guess what his third project is? RotK of course! He's about half way through. I gave him my old books, as promised, when he finished The Hobbit. We have discussed the differences between the books and the movies, and he visits CoE often.

Welcome jessamyn and scots56.
Nimloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 10:20
I should've known, Nenya - my first love were the Beatles (Paul, more specifically), even if I was only twelve at the time and they had already broken up, oh, seven years prior to that...

But I guess I've kind of made up for that since. Last year, I saw Sir Paul live, I've seen Eric Clapton (in the Royal Albert Hall in London!!!) and the Eagles over the past few years, I've got tickets to see Santana in July... even though I'm mostly a jazz fan, these guys rock!!!

Great story about meeting your hubby. I'm getting to know more and more about you, and I like it!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 01:06
I really do think music IS the Universal Language. It brings people together even if they don't all speak the same verbal language. Anyone who reads music can sit down with anyone else whose language they don't speak and play whatever music is in front of them. There is nothing else like it! :heart:

I DO wish more people in charge of school curriculums would consider that when they come to cutting budgets. They just don't realize that being in a band or orchestra or even a choir does so much for young people. It teaches them math (timing) and coordination (playing an instrument) and cooperation (you HAVE to play well to play with others) and most kids who play music do so much better in other school subjects. It has been proven! Why oh why won't they listen?

Nim ~ That's probably all you'll want to know about me. The rest might scare you!!! :evil:

Since I had older brothers I didn't have to sneak out. My folks knew they would look after me. I was VERY lucky!

As for loving the Beatles, Paul was too cute, John was married and Ringo was Ringo. And so, I was deeply in love :heart: with George. He was quiet and intelligent and played such wonderful lead guitar. I cried for hours when he died... As I did when John was killed. They should both be alive! :cry:

One more thing, I find it quite unfair that Paul was Knighted when it took all four of them to be the Beatles and they all produced excellent music after the Beatles broke up... Just on person's humble opinion.

I SO love this thread!!! It is great to know there are others out there who have lived similar lives. *Bows to the FoF!* :love:
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 02:52
George was my favorite Beatle. I remember listening to my older sister's Beatles records, and also all of her Motown stuff.

My kids are very lucky, they have a good music program in their school. My son is in band and choir, he loves both. They had a student teacher in music class that let them bring in cds and play their favorite songs. (within reason, of course ) My son brought in Todd Rundgren (sp?) Anyway, what a choice out of all of the music that we own in this house!

jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 07:11
:heart: Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to be able to talk to people my age who obviously love LOTR and music. Both my sons work in the music industry and they got their start through school music programs. My daughter is a semi-starving actress, at least for now! I absolutely agree with Carol P school music programs are invaluable. I also sing when I'm home with a choir. Definitely do not have a solo voice, but I do love to belt it out in the shower!!

I saw the Beatles once ages ago in London, England. A group of us went and we were so excited afterwards that we got on the wrong train back to my cousin's house. It turned out to be a non-stop fast express to Birmingham. We did'nt get home until noon the next day. But it was so worth it. Those were the days!!:love:
Nimloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 09:56
Goldie - I admit, I scintillated between Paul and George. As for knighthood - do you think John would have accepted his if he were still alive? I'm not entirely sure... who knows what John Lennon would be like today. Well, and Ringo, as you said, is Ringo. I think it is safe to say that Paul has done a little more than he to further the development of pop music in the 20th century. But yes, they all deserved it!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 11:01
Nim ~ Ah, I think you are right, John probably would not have accepted it. I think that is one of the reasons I have always respected him: his ability to speak his mind tempered with his humility. I DO wonder what he would be like today... I've always felt the most sympathy for his sons to have not grown up with him... And for Yoko for having lost her soul-mate...

On another note, I have a question for all of you... :love:

Have any of you watched PBS's (Public Broadcasting System) Masterpiece Theatre? Here in the States it is usually very well done British productions that are not shown on commercial television.

I was first introduced to it with *Upstairs~Downstairs*, my all~time favorite! There was also *I! Claudius*, which I could not get into. *Flambards* was another favorite, so much so I own the entire set of tapes and we watch it every few years.

The Forsythe Saga is one more fantastic production by the BBC that first aired in the fall of 2002 and that is why I'm bringing up this topic. This Sunday night, here in California, they are showing the Saga Part II... Taking up with the kids 20 years later that is set in the Roaring 20's. The review I've read says it is as good as the original. So if you are interested, check your local listings.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 09:38
Poldark... I was so very obsessed with that series, that and another that I cannot remember, but also took place in the 1700's. Something like the Mal something-or-other. Geez... Been too many years. *sigh* I love Masterpiece Theatre.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 03:47
I, Claudius is one of my all time favorites! I must have read the book ten times or so. Also the second one, Claudius the God. I even had a cat named Claw-dius at one time.
We don't get pbs here, (our dish is between two local areas, so they haven't decided which one to do, so we can't have either!)
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 07:29
Whoa! Gone for a week, and usually I have to go looking for this thread down the page to read one or two replies, but not this week! We Elders been busy! So much to respond to since I last posted....

First off, welcome to jessamyn & scots56 to the thread of Elders!

Second, Merenwen~Goldsand, I think anyone who actually had tickets to a Led Zep show qualifies for this thread under some *conditional* clause somewhere. Welcome and condolences for not being able to see the Led live. I highly recommend getting the Led Zep DVD, for there is alot there! As for sneaking out.. I did it for things alot less important than seeing Jimmy. It was one of those 'shoulda, woulda-if-I-had-it-to-do-over-again-knowing-what-I-know-now' deals :drool: And yes, kids today... I told my sons and daughter that they are responsible for their own actions, and actions have consequences so do think before acting. I did put my foot down on body piercings and tatoos in that if the wish to illistrate themselves or waht to set off metal detecters wherever they go, they can do it when they are adults. Of course this makes Arveleg the :evil: dad, but its still my house, and for the free rent and food, the rules will be obeyed. So far they are doing well. The oldest is out and on his own and has a daughter to worry about himself, and the youngest, my daughter, seems to have a level head (so far) on most things. my younger son is the one who is walking the edge... :dizzy: Oh yes, I like Dido too. Have both CDs here at work. My favorite song has to be 'My Lover's gone' on the 'No Angel' CD. I heard it on the TV show Nash Bridges a few years back and searched it out, and I got 'Life For Rent' recently, though I haven't listened to it much. Right now I'm still in a Led Zep III kick.:love: Yes NenyaGold, the Zep does have that Middle Earth feel. I heard the Zep well before I read LotR though, but I still feel it. Like in'Immigration Song'...

Third... CarolP, I remember Disco-Destruction! I was one of Steve Slayton's soldiers on KISW! I should email him and remind him of the glory days of busting vinyl. He's on the classic rock KZOK now... I see you mention Heart! The homegirls! When I was in Highschool, one Friday night a friend and I went to the Rainbow Tavern where they were playing. Our scraggly beards and unshaven faces managed to get us in for the cover, and it was one of the rowdiest, great rock shows I seen next to the Zep in 69. We tried to do it again the next time they played there, but the doorman carded us and we ended up loitering outside watching and listening. As for the beatles, I was a John Lennon and Ringo Starr fan. I liked George, but for some reason could never get jazz'd for McCartney. Didn't dis-like him, just didn't care for him.

fourth, jessamyn said:
Does anybody remember Credence Clearwater Revival.
YES! John Fogerty i think was one of the voices of the political dissent in the 60's. Songs like Fortunate Son spoke of the socio-economic lines of who was drafted in the army and sent to 'the Nam' and who was in college protesting the war. Love Creedence, and sadly my CD collection is lacking in their music. I guess its off to eBay after I make my rounds here.

fifth, NenyaGold, that is a great story! It kind of puts purpose in those old dates with jerks/jerkettes when such a store is told. .

...and lastly, [b[Masterpiece Theater[/b] and more particularly, I Clavsdivs. It was the only one I ever got into, and I had taped it about ten years ago when it was shown. I see the DVDs are out so i guess its another search on eBay... I thought Derek Jacobi did such a great job as Claudius. a side not is he was in the movie 'Gladiator' as a senator.

Here is something to remember... Secret Agent Man (U.S.) / Danger Man (U.K) Patrick McGoohan was Agent John Drake. He pre-dated the first Bond film, and was a man of character!@Who remembers this being on TV??

Well, need to get to work here... it took me a bit to write this up. Cheers to the FoF, otherwise known as the 'Elders Thread'
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 11:44
Welcome back, Arveleg! I was wondering where you'd gotten off to.

As soon as I read those words *Secret Agent Man* I started to sing the theme song! "They've given you a number and taken 'way your name". I hadn't thought of that show in years! I was in love :blush: with Patrick! Then he was in *The Prisoner*, a very weird show but I loved it! (prolly because of Patrick, do you think?)

The other show from that time that was brought to my mind was *The Avengers*. I soooooo wanted to be Emma Peel! I LOVED her car! I especially remember the show where someone was frightening people to death with their phobia's. At the time, I was deathly afraid of spiders and when that tarantula crawled over the couch, I had nightmares for months!

Belle ~ I vaguely remember Poldark. And were you thinking of MiddleMarch? Another good one. Duchess of Duke Street, Riley: Ace of Spies with Sam Neill, and Flame Trees of Thika with one of my all time favorite actresses, Haley Mills. So many wonderful productions over the years.

"And Gollum, the EVIL one, crept up and ran away way with her". No one I knew understood that line. I was alone in my Middle Earth world. Where were you guys when I needed you???

To quote Bob Hope, "Thanks for the memories." :love:
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email