Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: September 10, 2003 03:29
I resisted any and all attempts by my Mother when i was growing up to read LoTR. Well, the movie changed all that(much to her delight and amusement) and since I've become a true and devoted student to the books and history of ME. For me it was like discovering a whole part of you that was misplaced long ago. I think sometimes as we grow "older" we lose the ability to just let your imagination flow like you did when you were a kid; making a paper hat and stick turn into a crown and a sword to slay dragons ( Or Nazgul.. ). Tolkien has made it possible for me to slay Nazgul or walk the valley of Imladris when i need some peace and for that I am eternally grateful.

LC i hear ya' about the orginal copies of your books, my Mom has a set that she bought in the 60's and even though I bought her a new set, she still re-reads the old ones, she says those books just "feel" right.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 03:50
LC and Naurlas ~ I can't imagine using a new set of books even as much as mine are falling apart. They have tape from *way back when* and new tape, especially to hold in the pages of the Appendices in the back of the RotK. I bought them in 1969, the first year I read them, and you can see them here.
Arvedui
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 07:38
I love reading this thread!
I have an old tattered copy of Return of the King edition you have pictured Nenya Gold. I got it for a dime at a thrift store.
I have colored mini-postit notes sticking out of the Appendices with writing on them saying things like 'Languages' 'Line of King' etc. The pages are breaking at the binder, but I figure it was a good deal and saves wear and tear on my paperbacks with Tolkien's own art on them.
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 04:30
My favorite copy is a 1962 hardback copy of The Two Towers; I got it from a library fire sale and paid only a quarter. Everytime I read The Saga I read this copy of TTT. It is as if I am among friends I never met, like this thread. I am loving it! To make contact with you all, hear how The Saga and The Professor shaped ME among us. Think about it, The Professor was a Wordsmith - he named his world Middle-earth, we are the ones who, through the love of it, meet there and interact with one another, somewhere in the middle. Praise the Vala!
SilverMoonLady
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 02:34
Just a quick word from a 'youngster' who respects her elders... Tolkien's books have formed and informed much of my intellectual and spiritual life, as they did my father's, to whom I owe knowing of this wonderful Middle-Earth He'd have loved to meet you guys..
Peace.

(Greetings from Hokusai's daughter)

[Edited on 12/9/2003 by SilverMoonLady]
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 12, 2003 12:04
Yea, Nenya my mother definetly prefers her "originals" to the new ones. I bought a set of paper backs and they now look like they are 100 years old already - the spines are broken, I've comments and notes written in the margins...LOL. I went out and bought a hardback that is the story in one book and i leave that one pristine! My greatest treasure was a copyright late 70's ( i think thats the date) of the Sil that i found for my Mom at a garage sale and then have recently stole back from her .
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: September 12, 2003 01:37
My old copies of the trilogy are not as old as Nenya's, mine are from the seventies. My big sister started me off with The Hobbit way back when.
My son has chosen The Hobbit for his school reading project this year (he is in 6th grade). I'm really excited! He started about two weeks ago, and is on chapter four. I told him that when he finishes, he can either have my old LotR books, or my new set, whichever he wants. I guess my younger kids won't have that choice.
My sister was surprised when she saw me on this website one day. She didn't know that I was that interested in Tolkien. She said, "Didn't I start you reading Tolkien?" Yep, and I thanked her. It's added a lot to my life.
janora
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 11:37
my first copy of lotr was destroyed by my old dog when he was a puppy i cried for a week as they were 20 years old

my second copy i lent to my sister as she had mislaid hers, but she also lost mine she has since replaced the books and they are kept under lock and key.

Aglargelair
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2003 06:51
Suilad! fellow travelers of Middle Earth. As with all of you, I started this journey back in the late 70's though I am ashamed that the saga had slipped into legend..... That is until PJ created his masterful screen adaptations. Now the LotR is part of the current age at our house. My teenagers have become enamored with the world that Tolkien had created, oh so long ago. My daughter who is a senior in HS, is having a LotR themed halloween party where everyone has to come as their favorite character. I of course will assume the role of Gandalf My wife has been very busy creating a whole wardrobe for the event. I don't mean to ramble, and I guess what I'm trying to get at, is just how important LotR has become to us. It brings a sence of great joy, pride and excitement but also a great dispair. As I know that I can never walk the paths of mirkwood or see the Lonely Mountain just one time.
janora
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2003 10:51

this is true, but here in Wales our countryside is very like New Zealand where the film was shot, so when i take our dog for his walk every day in the woods where we live i can almost believe that it is fanghorn or mirkwood,most of our countryside, mountains and valleys also remind me of certain parts of middle earth. do you have anywhere local or not too far away that reminds you of any area of tolkiens world, it may not be the real thing but our imagination an take us anywhere we want to go.

p.s the Halloween party sound like fun have a great time
Aglargelair
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 02:24
Suilad Janora! Unfortunately, I live in south Florida- very flat! I suppose I could go out into the Everglades and imagine the dead marshes.....nah!
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 04:28
Suilad - Some news for us elders about how cool some of the young loins are doing - As many of you know I started this thread for those of us who have loved The Saga for many many years, and that I am a teacher - anyway - I have a group of kids who are as wild about ME as I was back in the late 60's - They brought me pictures of their Tolkien Party, all dressed the part, and another young lady even created a board game. She sculpted the characters of Gandalf, Strider, Frodo, and Sam - It is so AWESOME! It warms the heart of this old Ranger of the North to see the spirit, love and creativity some of my students are getting from reading the Professor. We are a special breed - we have kept the world of ME close to our hearts for many years, it is so nice to see that the wonder lives on - so pass it on.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 07:36
What is really wonderful is seeing how the Books are becoming a legacy we leave to our children, and theirs. (Please see my original post in this thread for the story about my son. :heart Heaven knows there is scarce left in this world that is noble and just--reading LotR and the other stories gives me hope and encouragement.
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 04:02
I recently had a student comment that LOTR was, "OK, but that it wasn't that great." He is a wonderful reader and has read the Saga, however he felt that compared to other modern material it didn't come up to par. He was quick to observe that I had a great passion for the Professor and wanted to argue points in the text - I felt it only right to take him down a notch or two - he was quick to surrender. Here's the payoff - the process has crreated another Tolkien fan. Since then he and I are exchanging greetings in Elvish, he even drew up a map of another world - complete with Elvish names. I love the power of passion and guidence. Young fans of The Professor are not hard to identify, they are the ones praying for hope, we fans over forty remember them well. We were there years ago, we welcomed The Saga into our hearts and lives and changed the world. Keep it up my brothers and sisters.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 10:14
Greetings, fellow elders!

Nice to see such a distinguished company of Tolkien enthusiasts. I'm another one fo those who discovered Tolkien in high school and then keep falling in love with the writings in new and wonderful ways as my life unfolds. The psychological depths and the many mythological and archetypal themes are my fascination at the moment.

It is truly the test of a work's worth, that it can be so richly mined, on so mnay levels and from so many angles. It obviously speaks to us in many voices.

I am so thankful to the film-makers and to the actors. musicians and crafts people ( as well as the backers who took the financial risk) for bringing this brilliant and deep work to us in such a stunning visual and auditory format! ITheir work has enhances my appreciation of this classic.

Scothia - love the avatar! It's on my desktop as a background piece (when I don't have something LOTR, that is!). Great minds......
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
janora
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2003 11:30
i agree with you neenime, the film has enhamced not just my imagination but a new generation also. and perhaps for generations to come. the amount of people that i have spoken to who have never read the books are now reading them along with many of tolkein's other works

RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 09:15
Nice to find so many kindred souls! I read the Hobit and LOTR for the first time in 1971, from the same edition (I even had a poster of the picture formed when the three books are laid together - it was HUGE! and I ended up giving it away because I had moved to a dorm room and there wasn't a wall big enough) I got the Silmarillian for Christmas the year it came out. I have read the books over and over, and recently started on HOME.

I was a fairly unhappy 12 year old when I discovered Middle Earth. Today, I am above-average happy. I think Tolkein deserves some of the credit. One practical example - when I got married, I took Arwen and Aragorn's long patience and unwavering fidelity in the face of adversity as my ideal. (This is most likely why the treatment of their relationship in the movie bothers me!) I have considered my love of LOTR an important part of who "I" am ever since I first discovered it. I have gotten different things out of it each reading.

I recall when I was 12, I wanted to be Arwen, because she got to marry Aragorn. When I was older, I wanted to be Galadrial, because she was wise and powerful and, together with her husband, had created and maintained a magical kingdom. Now, I see myself as Farmer Maggot's wife, serving thick brown home-brew and plenty of food to folks, in the midst of my children and dogs!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 09:25
RiverWoman ~ Do you mean this poster? It is in the Gallery after I remembered it had been rolled up with several others and stored away in our garage all these years! It hung on my wall of my bedroom and was only $5 which was lot in those days! Ah, I LOVE the memories! :heart:

RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 11:02
That's it! Wow, that takes me back!. I had another one that was the like a travel poster. The picture was the cover from the Hobbit of that era, and it said "Come to Middle Earth". Thanks, I think I'll print it out.

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 12:44
RW ~ You just have to ask... :love: Yes, I have this one too! It is in much better condition than the big one because it was never taken out of its plastic sheath.

In my post above the poster one, there is a link to a photo of my paperback books. There is also the cover of The Hobbit and The Silmarillion in the Cover Section and a couple of poster size maps in the Map Section of the Gallery.
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 11:57
Back when that was the design on the front of the book, someone suggested to me the gecko was Gollum. I wasn't sure then and I'm not sure now!
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 05:45
Thanks for the wonderful images NenyaGold, I still have that set of the books, one of my treasures. They have a special place in my home library. I love hearing all the stories about how The Saga has touched your lives, and I really love seeing the young visitors to this thread. Having read The Professor for so long I seek different things in ME than first-timers. One of my favorite readings of late was when a strong reader student of mine read The Saga for the first time. It was so powerful - to know where she was going, giving guidance but not answers, watching her wonder about the fall of Gandalf, her reactions at the actions of Boromir, her wonder at Treebeard, etc. If you have ever said, "I wish I could do something over knowing what you know today," guide someone through their first reading. I thank the Valar I had that opportunity.

My best to you all, RangerNorlin of Arnor
janora
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 10:33
i remember when my sister first read the books and the excitement she felt when we were discussing them, which we still do every week when we meet, but the most pleasant of all was my 3 year old neice when we watched the two towers together the look on her face when treebeard woke was beyond words. although she is too young to understand the lotr i am reading roverandom to her, which she loves. her mothers quite concerned though as she has now started talking to trees
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 11:44
Awww... How sweet! IMHO there's nothing wrong with talking to trees, though she should know they rarely answer anymore because we don't have Ents around in our world today.
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 02:42
It was elves talking to them that first taught trees to speak. Maybe if we slow down and pay attention to them, we can wake some sleepy ones up?

Worth a try!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 07:49
Heh... What a lovely idea, RiverWoman!
janora
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2003 12:14
i agree and so does my niece, at least they will say more than just hello jessie back to her!
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 05:15
The power of the Saga. I have a student, high school, who cannot read. I have him comparing the CD version of LOTR with the written version. He is checking for differences, and he is hooked! I caught him working during lunch!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 07:38
RangerNorlin ~ That is also the power of a creative teacher! I wish we had more like you in our schools! :heart:

[Edited on 10/27/2003 by NenyaGold]
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 12:53
Another 30 something sneaking in here! I have never personally read any of the books but when I was 9 our schoolteacher read us The Hobbit and then went on to over the next few years read us The Lord of The Rings trilogy. I remember sitting totally fascinated by the story that was unfolding and always meant to go back and read those books myself but never ever actually got around to it. Ever since I can remember my mind has always lived in that kind of world, I have always been a child of nature and spent more time in my younger years talking to the trees, plants and animals and imaginary friends around me rather than people. When my teacher read those books to us I felt so at home and totally engrossed in that wonderful world. It has never left my mind or my dreams. I must confess I was rather wary of the films when I first heard about them being made and up until I saw the trailers on TV I wasn't going to go and see them, I was so afraid of seeing the world that existed in my mind being torn apart. I just stood open mouthed when I saw the trailers and decided to go and see Fellowship (a big step for me as I was recovering from a mental breakdown and had a tendancy to panic in crowds). I lost count of how often I cried at the sheer beauty of it all. To me it was like seeing places and characters I thought only existed in my dreams almost close enough to touch. I now know I just have to get off my backside and read the books but I don't want to read some condensed upgraded version I want to read something as close as possible to the original versions.
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 05:13
Thank you for the kind words NeynaGold. My student is going through LOTR and marking where each track on the CD changes in the book, and even highlighting the samllest variance in a verb or adjective - it truly is wonderful! His love of Merry and Pippin was immediate, he is very like that pair. He asked me yesterday if he could take my CD player and book home as he wants to finish before the release of The Return of the King - I could not say no.

Blodueweddd - you are welcome here - Please do read the Saga - many of us over forty's grew up with calendars by Lee, Howe, Hildebrant and others, they were our imagery into ME. For fans today they have Jackson, but ultimately the images and landscapes of ME become your own. My advice as to reading The Saga would be to visit a used book seller and try to find an old set, though they are hard to find; I still have the first set I received back in the 60's. But if you can find an old set you will be reading with friends, anyone who had read that set before. Then buy a new set and read it again. Put yourself into it, make them yours, you will treasure them for a lifetime.
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 01:53
RangerNorlin if only there were more people like you who were willing to concentrate on people's strengths rather than dismiss them for their weaknesses the world would be a much better place. What you have done with your student is nothing short of marvelous and I'd imagine has given them a purpose and boosted their self confidence.

Thank you for your welcome. It's funny you should mention those artists as I have books by them (as well as many others) as fantasy art is a passion of mine and I find these books invaluable for learning new techniques or finding inspiration for my own creations. I shall take your advice and have a look around some second hand bookstores to see if I can find anything. Thank you!
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2003 05:13
It is truly a wonder, that a set of stories that draws from so many classic examples can shape the future of so many, in such wonderful ways too. The Professor, even though he was a procrastinator, touched so many. As a teacher I have a lot of people talk about touching the future, I guess they are right. I first read The Saga in the late sixties, and here some forty years later I am employing it to inspire another generation. Not just about reading, about hope, courage, and fullfillment. The Saga help shape this Ranger of the North. Even feeling a bit down, like today, I can draw strength from Samwise's example. I can feel hope in the name of Elbereth, and feel watched over by the eagles of Manwe.
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2003 12:16
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 09:45
Nice to find "mature" fans here as well.

Myself, I'll celebrate my 45th birthday in a couple of weeks, and didn't find the wonderful world called Middle Earth until in my late twenties. I borrowed LOTR from a friend just to find out what it was all about, and was just fascinated! Some years later, another friend got me into reading the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales - it took me another reading to really get into them, but now, the Sil is my favorite. At some point, I read the Hobbit as well, and reread it just last summer.

But, it was the movies that got me join the Internet communities. In the last couple of years, I've been hanging on some other Tolkien themed websites as well, and (although a majority of the posters tend to be teenagers swooning for Legolas - I'm the mother of one ) have encountered lots of 30+ people who share my love for these books.

And, Bloduewedd, I second RangerNorlin and wholeheartedly recommend reading the books.

(Edited to fix a typo.)

[Edited on 30/10/2003 by Morwinyoniel]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email