<< First1314151617
Author Topic:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: July 10, 2004 08:43
:disco: :disco: :disco: EUREKA! I FOUND IT!! :disco: :disco: :disco:

Oh, well, um, pardon me for intruding so hastily without so much as a "Hey dol! merry dol!" but I'm so excited...

Excited about what, you ask? Well, you may recall in one of my early posts mentioning a poster I had as a teen during the mid-'70s. Well, I finally found an image of it on the web:

Dwarves in the Doorway at Bag End

Not a particularly good view of it as it appears that the poster was laying on the floor when it was photographed, but that's definitely it.

Uh, well, I guess that's all I had for now. :blush:

We now return you to regularly scheduled programming...
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2004 10:03
WOW! Been gone a long while, and there is so much to catch up on!
Nan! I truly, truly loved the poem! I think it fits Rivendell perfectly! I am going to put it up next to my lotr poster. Great job!!!

Hi, and well met to atreides1 and ??69. You will love this site! And you are most warmly greeted!:heart::heart:

All this painting is great! Do you hire out??? I haven't painted this year, yet, but my classroom is John Deere green and yellow!

Also anidea I pickedup from the vet--I'm letting my philedendron grow around the ceiling corner walls of my dining room. Gives it an Elvish aire! You ought to try it!

Love to all:heart:

LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 10, 2004 11:32
Brandywine, thanks for being so nice about Britain, I'm glowing in the borrowed glory I can't think how you manage without roundabouts, they're fun! However a lot of the bigger ones now also have traffic lights for added interest. I'd hate to be learning to drive nowadays :cry:
Idea for your bathroom: a friend of mine did hers in a glorious deep blue with golden sunflower accessories. I've a feeling that it might work equally well with golden stars and moon? You can get star/moon stamps and gold paint if you don't fancy freehand work. If you had the space you could even paint a stylized rising sun on one wall and setting sun on the other? It would be dark so not so much a morning bathroom, more for leisurely evening soaks in the bath...

Atreides1 - do I detect another Dune fan or did you get your name from other sources?
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 11:11
Thanks for the ideas LadyAdaneth. I really like the rising/setting sun idea. Have to float these past hubby and see what he thinks.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 12:51
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

(See? Old Tom didn't forget this time. )

Old Tom had a laugh while shopping with the River-daughter this afternoon. We went to J.C. Penney to check out their home furnishings (we bought a quilt and a sheet set for our new bed). Before we left the store my wife wanted to check out some shoes and handbags. Much to my amusement I saw a table loaded with brightly colored handbags, each of them had a large patch stitched with "Mrs. Depp", "Mrs. Affleck", "Mrs. Timberlake", and, of course, LOTR's very own "Mr. Bloom". It appears that fangirls have a significant impact on the economy, and more than just movies and movie memorabilia.

Brandywine, if you're going with a celestial motif you may wish to consider the really nifty Sun & Moon switchplate featured at The Pyramid Collection. (Sorry, they don't have a direct link to it. You can, however, search by name or by the product code, item #P20879.)

Another site with some really cool switchplates is Switchhits.com. They have several to choose from with the sun & moon motif.

If you have a ceiling fan and want a decorative pull, you can find a few different ones at the Westinghouse Ceiling fan website.

Speaking of the Sun and Moon, did you know that the original names of Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul were Minas Anor and Minas Ithil, which meant "Tower of the Sun" and "Tower of the Moon"?

This has been another Middle-earth trivia moment. Remember to tune in for the next installment when we discuss the Two Trees of Valinor...
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 01:04
Actually, that is one thing I knew about the Minas's...
This has been another Middle-earth trivia moment. Remember to tune in for the next installment when we discuss the Two Trees of Valinor...

AND, I'm learning so very much more just from being in Yavanna Realm. Heehee... I'm one of those Two Trees...
<-------See? In my title! Our realm decided that instead of being called "Realm Leader of Yavanna", we'd each have one of the names of the Trees. But Tom, I'll wait for your next installment to hear the rest about them.

[Edited on 7/11/2004 by NenyaGold]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 01:35
Speaking of the Sun and Moon, did you know that the original names of Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul were Minas Anor and Minas Ithil, which meant "Tower of the Sun" and "Tower of the Moon"?

:wave: Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh! I knew that one! Yay, Me! *pats self on back*

*slinks to the back of the classroom, amazed we spoke out in class*
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 03:24
Oh Yeah! I just found this site! Over 40!!! No drooling for Bloom and the hobbit boys! Hurray! (Now Aragorn and Elrond.....)

Anyway, the sun and moon discussion....

Anarion and Isildur----Elendil named his boys for the sun and the moon just like his cities---must have been a thing with him. Bet he had a sun and moon bathroom!

Also, any teachers out there using The Hobbit? I'm adding it to my literature circle groups this year.
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 03:38
Hi, Welcome Sindarinelvish. I'm not using The hobbit in teaching this year but I am a teacher. There a few of us. I'll let them identify themselves.
As for me I teach in a small town in Idaho.
Please don't ever judge my teaching ability by my spelling. The fingers are slow and the eyes are...not what they used to be.
Glad you found us.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 01:19
Sindarinelvish,

Welcome to the Fans Over Forty thread! I am also a teacher in my 'real' life. I teach in a VERY small school in Nebraska. Just two teachers and 17 kids in mines.

As for using The Hobbit in my classroom...Well, Yeah, Baby, Yeah! Have for years. It's not so much required reading as I have a high population of special needs kids in my class, but it is always encouraged for those who can handle it along with LotR. Even those who can't handle reading it know the story due to the obession of their teacher :blush: Every 5 or 6 years I do read the entire series to my kids. I have them for that length of time, and that way, even if they don't read it on their own, they've heard it. The language Tolkien used is so amazing. Kids need to hear and experience that type of writing. It is so different from their usual fare. I still have one more year to go before I read them again. *waits impatiently tapping foot on floor*

If you get a chance, check out the role playing thread. A bunch of us 'life experienced' fans have been working on a story line called The Journey Home. A good read if I do say so myself. Of course, I'm not AT ALL biased.

Namárië
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 12:52
Hi Sindarinelvish! Well met, and Greetings! Gald you found us, and this site. It is sooo cool! I too teach in a small school in Idaho. My students hear a lot about the series form me too. The books are in the classroom, bu tI have not read them to the kids for reasons of a political nature, kinda.

Hope you enjoy this site!

Tom! I remembered about the Minas's after you mentioned it! Clueless on the kids though. Guess I forgot about the boys' names.

Everyone enjoying the heat? I love the summer rays, as long as there is a breeze. Which is usually not a problem here.

Seeya Later
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 04:21
Mae Govannen!

I have a question I won't feel dumb asking here.

What are those stars next to our names? Some have none, some have several. Some are red and some are gold????

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 04:27
Aiya Sindarinelvish, and welcome to CoE and the FoF!!!

Ah, those stars signify various mods, admins, realm leaders and the Head Oligarch herself, Rivka.

Council Members have one gold star, Realm Leaders have two gold stars, and Mods and Admins have four red stars. Rivka, the site owner, has four blue stars.

If you notice, some people also have titles. If you click on *My Account* near the top of the page, then click *User Points*, you can see how you too can garner points and so select your own unique title or unique Avatar.

And by the way, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. So ask away!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 16, 2004 05:07
I watched RotK for the many-eth time today (lost count a while back but it HAS been some time...). I needed a fix... What can I say... :blush:

I tried not to cry. Really... But it all started when I got chills when "The Eagles are coming, the eagles are coming..." and it degraded from there. By the end I had tears streaming down my face and if my husband hadn't come home, I'd probably have been sobbing.... :cry:

I soooo love the story!!! Whether it be the books or the movies!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2004 04:54
*shy, gentle Hobbit reduced to tears and snoggling everytime* That would be me too. I just get chills watching PJ's interpretation of LotR everytime as much as I am swept away when I read the books for the umpteenth time. There are few books in the world that can draw people back into this world again and again and STILL have something new to give to the readers. I, for one, am truly thankful for that.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2004 07:43
Welcome to Sindarinelvish! Many warm greetings.

I haven't posted in a while. Have been much busy with my thoughts on the Returning Home RP. I think I'm a little wrapped up there.

It didn't help that Tuesday my son-in-law was in an F-4 tornado that ripped through a rural area just NE of us. The company that he works for was completely leveled. All 150 employee's in the building were able to get into bathrooms that had been designed and made into shelters. It was miraculous that they all walked out, only very minor injuries. We have been praising God and the powers that be for their safe return home that night.

on the subject of the movie, I have finally gotten through all the hours of extras on the extend Fellowship DVD. How exciting it was. As for ROTK, I haven't watched it in a few weeks. But it is the scene going up Mt. Doom when Frodo seems unable to go any further and Sam hold him in his arms and asks him if he remembers the Shire, strawberries and all that - - I start to get weepy. The love Sam has for Frodo just glares off the screen at you. It follows all the way through the rest of the movie. Then at the Grey Havens I break down and just bawl like a baby. It is only in the last few weeks that I begin to realize that Middle Earth does go on and on in all of us. And there, too in us Frodo and the spirit of the Fellowship LIVES on.

The Blessings of the Valar upon each of you!
Lothien_Vilya
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 06:24
I also would like to welcome Sindarinelvish to FoF. :wave:

Brandywine, I would like to say that someone had given me a unicorn with the moon and stars motif on it. I had never seen one before and does it look cool.

I will be on holiday for 4 days doing nothing. I will be around the computer and watching LoTR for the umpteenth time. :disco: :cheers:

Lothien, I hope everything is fine. We had a wicked storm last night and it brought hail the size of golf balls and tornado watches. Prayers are with you.
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 10:07
OK you've just made me feel actually grateful for a typical English summer in which the most we get to complain about is the cool temps and a bit of rain so we can't mow the lawns!

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 04:45
Hey,
Where is everyone. Too busy RPing. You can catch the best RP at Forums then Totally Tolkein then Returning Home the Journey (very scripted). It's pretty good. I enjoy it anyway.
Hope you are all having nicer weather these days. Idaho, for the most part, has stopped having T & L storms in the afternoon. For awhile we had one everyday. We got loads of rain the other night. Two days no T & L storms. Yahoo!
To those of you in tornado alley: duck. To those of you having a cooler summer: here's my sweater, I don't need it. To those of you having the best weather possible: :cheers:

May the blesings of the Valar be with you! (I read that somewhere) LOL

Have a good day :love: ,
Brandywine
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 02:53
I've been checking in here everyday but haven't posted as of yet. Just a quick peek for me as I've been pretty busy with the important things in life: RPing, reading (although not nearly as much as I would like), and going back to school to get ready for next year. No rest for the wicked you know.

The spousal unit has the day off and is going to paint the front and back doors. They will be a lovely deep red called Cut Ruby. I oooh-ed when the guy at Lowe's opened up the can and there was this absolutely lovely color. We are not ones that are afraid of color. Hey, it's only paint. If you don't like it you can paint over it.

Hope all of you have a lovely.
Inglorion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 02:34
Hurray! At last I have found other fans of Tolkien who are not teenagers! I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me for being so obsessed at my age. (41)

I have loved LOTR since I first read it as a youngster. I've read it over and over since then. I've also read The Silmarillian,
and The Hobbit.

The movies are very different from the books, but still great in their own way. They take my breath away each time I watch them. I am absolutely transfixed. And, even though the movies are long, I always wish at the end that they could go on and on.

Anyway, I am happy to be here with people who come from the same generation as me. Hope to see you all soon.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 04:09
Hello Inglorian and welcome.
We over 40 understand your obsession. We all feel the same. THe books and movies are so good they transport you to another world that you come to know so well that you don't want to go home. Arwen becomes your friend and Aragorn the king you want to follow. Frodo is the hero of your life. Yes, we all understand. We are there with you. Welcome again.
Brandywine
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 05:18
Hey dol! merry dol! and welcome to Inglorian! :wave:

Out West we're in the middle of yet another heat wave.
What I wouldn't give for a cool summer! Thank goodness for air conditioning, tall glasses of iced tea, and ice cream bars.

Still painting Scots? I still haven't gotten around to painting our master bath. I've had too much yard work to do, but I'll get to it soon...ish.

I see Goldie has a new hunk of the week. Perhaps Old Tom should start featuring his own "Nymph of the Week". I can see it now: sweet sylvan beauties clad only in vines and leaves. What do you ladies think?

Yeah, you're right, it's just not me.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 05:32
Aiya Inglorion!!! Welcome to the FoF! I'm so glad you found us, hiding out over here in our little corner of CoE.

And welcome to the obsessed! I have been for 35 years last month!!! And I am very proud of it! But to have found all of these wonderful people who are also obsessed has really been a gift! :heart:

Old Tom ~ Hunk of the week??? Actually, Maethor has been my hunky RP character for over a year now. I'm just getting around to showing him off... Letting him out. Gotta share the goods.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 01:58
Welcome Inglorian! And well met! It's always nice to know there are more of us out there! For so many years I thought I must have a screw loose because of my love of LOTR the books. People would give you this weird look as if to say ,"Again? You're reading those fantasy books Again?" YEP! Than lo and behold they came out with the movies (shock) and now come to find out there are LOTS of people with loose screws out there! And to top it off, now there is this wonderful site for them to meet in! I've grown and learned so much since I met this place. It's a home away from home. And trust me there is PLENTY here to keep you busy and entertained! Ok, off the soap box.
Anyway, well met again, and welcome to the family!

Red doors! Yes! I love colors too. My principal thinks I'm nuts, but hey, life was meant to be full of color! I think red is my favorite, but I also like yellow, green, teal, orange, turquiose,pink well anything that's bright and friendly! My principal wouldn't go for terra cotta or red in the classroom, so it's pretty much John Deere green and yellow on the closet doors and trim. The walls are paneled (wood-ish). My principal is a great lady, and a saint for putting up with me!

Tom, I'm so glad you post on FoF> You are a hoot! It makes my day to read you posts.

To all, blessings and grace,
Sérë, Shireling :heart:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 09:43
Give a hoot! Don't pollute!

Oh, wait, that's Woodsie Owl not Tom Bombadil. Anyway, I'm glad you find my posts entertaining, Shireling.

Until the other day I couldn't post for a week because my PC went into the tank. Well, actually it was just on the blink. I sure wish I could have thrown it into a tank, though. Preferably a really big one with a 15-foot long computer-eating white shark. CHOMP! Or better yet, throw it in front of a rolling tank like the kind they used to run Saddam Hussein out of Baghdad. CRUNCH!

The River-daughter and I attended her 20th high school reunion this evening. One of her high school friends is a real Tolkien nut like I am, so naturally we chatted about that quite a bit. I learned that she's also a big time Viggo Mortensen swooner. Gee, why didn't that surprise me?

Sorry, Goldie, I didn't mean to imply that your relationship with Maethor the Stud Muffin was only a recent and tenuous one, I just meant that he was new to your signature. (How did that sound guys? Did I bale myself out of that one?) Anyway, I'm sure the other ladies appreciate the generosity with which you share your eye candy.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 02:52
Inglorion :

Welcome to the FoF thread! We're glad you found us 'age experienced' Tolkien fanatics. I personally think that it takes years to truly appreciate and refine all things Tolkien. It just gets better and better IMHO. Some of us in this thread have been working on an RP and having a GREAT deal of fun. It's at the role-play thread, under Totally Tolkien entitled Returning Home: The Journey (Very Scripted). Come have a read! We are quite proud of ourselves.

Old Tom:

Yep, we're still painting fools. More on the fool's side than anything now. As we were putting this absolutely lovely red on the door, the darn paint decided it would just run all over the place. It was just a mess! I was so disappointed. So as we looked at the total mess we had created, we decided that a trip to the local Home Depot was in order.

Our house is older (44 years) and has never been updated. Remember hollow-core exterior doors? We have two. We have always intended to replace them 'someday'. Well, 'someday' turned out to be yesterday. We met up with our friend of many years who does remodeling to help us, and I'm ordering two absolutely lovely Arts and Crafts style doors with beautiful stained glass in the middle of it. I'm really excited. Poor now, but excited. Life sure makes unexpected turns doesn't it? The house is a work in progress, but at least progress is being made.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 09:19
Ok, Ladies! I might make this my avi one day, but in the meantime, A&E was having their Sunday morning "Breakfast With The Arts" and I tuned in just in time to record it on my computer. Here is a screen capture of one of my all time FAVORITE, weak in the knees, most drewlable singers of the '60's!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I saw him in a concert at a roller rink near where I live and I was probably all of 15! Oh my goodness!!! I remember that night like it was yesterday!!! He was awesome and sexy and I'd better stop there or this post might get edited by a mod... Enjoy!!!

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 11:54
:naughty: So, who would this lovely piece of eye-candy be? I don't recognize him. Made my day. Thank you very much.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 12:31
Come on baby light my fire!

Unless I miss my guess, I believe that is the late Jim Morrison of The Doors.

Am I right, Goldie?
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 02:59
Ah yes, Tom... Those were Strange Days and I was not an Unhappy Girl but I would have loved to have taken a Moonlight Drive with him, asking him to Love Me Two Times while we were Waiting For The Sun. But When The Music's Over, I knew it was The End, and he sailed away in The Crystal Ship.

Yes, People Are Strange as are the Riders On The Storm, but I've learned to Take It As It Comes, although he can still Light My Fire.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 03:05
I have to tell someone who will understand about my great birthday present from the dearest hubby. (We were at a cookout with teacher friends last night and when they ask him what he'd got me for my birthday. When he told them, they all looked tharn and said "Oh, that's nice."

He got me a WETA Galadhrim Archer statue!!!!!! I had wanted it for months and he finally won the e-bay bid.

I knew you all would understand.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2004 02:32
:disco: Oh, what a wonderful husband you have!! And yes, we do all understand. It's sad that so many others have missed such a wonderful time with Tolkien. I would love to have something like that, and most people I know would look at me if I got the same thing with that glazed-over look (you know the one-Lord, there she goes AGAIN!) Oh, well, their loss.

And a Happy Belated Birthday to you.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 26, 2004 04:53
Wow! 600 posts!!!

Since this thread is so full, I've started a new one which can be found at Fans over Forty ~ Part II.

So please start posting there instead. I will ask one of the mods to lock this thread in favor of the new one.

See you there! :wave:
Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: July 26, 2004 06:17
Hi-lo all fans over forty! I am closing this thread and sending you all over to the Part II that was started by Nenya~Gold.

Congratualtions on 600 posts and keep going strong!
<< First1314151617
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email