Register

<< First1112131415Last >>
Author Topic:
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: May 27, 2004 01:16
Hmmm As I think about it, my guess is that some of the womenfolk are more anxious to see Viggo and the other hunks of Middle-earth than they are to view the story. Am I right? :rolleyes:

Well, Tom...as far as this woman goes....yep, thats about right! :disco:

Peace Image
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 03:01
Hmmm As I think about it, my guess is that some of the womenfolk are more anxious to see Viggo and the other hunks of Middle-earth than they are to view the story. Am I right?

While there is definite eye-candy in this film :naughty: :drool: ...Aragorn *sigh*, Legolas, Éomer, Frodo, and others too numerous to mention; for me the story itself will remain the most important part of the film. My imagination over the 28+ years that I've been reading the story was pretty well played out by PJ, so it wasn't like I was seeing anything that I hadn't "seen" already in my heart as I read the books. I will always feel that the books are better--the language and imagary are unsurpassed, but these films are such a good companion piece as are all the other books that go along with Middle Earth that have been published.

And with that said, all the beautiful scenes, both human and nonhuman, made the whole film just that much better. For me, it PJ translated it so well into film. My only complaint is that we don't get to see the all miles of film that were shot. My son once said when I told him that if there was everything put into a movie that was in the books, FotR would be a 6+ hour movie. He said, "I'm okay with that!" I decided I was too.

I bought the DVD because I couldn't wait until---November is it?---when it come out on the EE. I also found out that there are things on the regular release DVD that aren't included in the EE. That clinched it for me with TTT. When I first brought FotR I didn't know there was going to be an EE. So I guess that I need to have the complete set, standard and EE. Just the EE for RotK and I'll be a happy camper.

The spousal unit and I went out to buy the DVD at about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. We watched it Tuesday afternoon and evening, both movie and extras disk, then I watched it yesterday morning while doing school work, then again last night while my husband watched something else in the living room. Tears each time. Good times.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 08:59
In response to Old Tom's comment, I have to whole heartedly agree with Scots56. Everything she said is mirrored in my thoughts.

Oh, yes indeed there is plenty of eye-candy for everyone, that helps to make the movies so wonderful. But it is the all about the story. Isn't that what we are all here for - the story! Our pure love of the story, of Middle Earth and it's inhabitants.

I love all the characters of the book (except the servants of Sauron.) The first time I read the book it was a story about Frodo and his quest. All else was peripheral. The second time I read it, it was about Aragorn and his quest to find himself and accept his destiny to be King. Now when I read it, it is about all of them and the roles they play to fulfill each of their own destiny's in the war against evil.

I find that Samwise Gamgee is my favorite character. He is the epitome of the kind of person I would like to have as a friend and who I would most want to be like.

The Movies just add so much more to the telling of the story. Personally, I would like to see every single foot of film that Peter Jackson had shot. I wouldn't care how many hours it would run in my dvd. It would be like reading the books. At some point you have to close the book and do the daily activities, but you come back to it and begin from where you left off and go forward which is what I would do with so much film footage. Thank God and the Valar that true lovers of the story were the ones to make the movies happen and not someone who a studio head 'assigned.'

Well, back to my everyday life - for now!
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 08:12

Hmmm As I think about it, my guess is that some of the womenfolk are more anxious to see Viggo and the other hunks of Middle-earth than they are to view the story. Am I right?

No, Tom, the eye candy isn't all this woman went to the movies to see. I could never state my case any more eloquently than Scots56 and Lothien_Vilya. PJ gave these books even more life than my mind could encompass and as far as eye candy, well, yes, the cast are handsome folk. Tolkien went to great pains to describe these characters and in my minds eye they were as beautiful as the actors that portrayed them.
Vilya, Sam is also my favorite character. Who would not want a friend like Sam, loyal, steadfast Sam. My eyes mist over as I think of the ties between the Fellowship and how their hearts must have ached at the separation in the end.
I can not imagine the joy in being able to watch the miles and miles of film that was shot making these movies. Give me the remote and a coke and I would be in Tolkien heaven! :love:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 08:44
Heh... I've been saying from the time FoTR came out that I wanted to see every single foot of film shot! I too would get my munchies, my beverages, and settle down for an entire weekend or more of watching outtakes, cuts, and the whole enchilada. Yes, I loved the eye candy, but without a decent story, it just wouldn't be the same without the Professor's incredible world-building and characterizations. And he left so much for us to think of. What better way to stimulate minds than that?
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 09:17
Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!
By water, wood and hill, by the reed and willow,
By fire, sun and moon, harken now and hear us!
Come, Tom Bombadil, for our need is near us!

Come now, my dears, Old Tom was merely teasing about the Middile-earth Hunk-O-Rama, or "eye candy" as some of ye call it. Afterall, this is the "Fans over Forty" thread afterall, not the foaming fan girl thread!

I'm certain all of you are far too mature to go ga-ga over some hot, sweaty men (or perfectly coiffed elves, if you prefer) hewing orcs from sun up to sun down.

Well, do enjoy your viewing. Old Tom has a mind to rent ROTK this weekend himself.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 09:57
Just spent yesterday from noon until 9:30 pm watching the Lotr trilogy. It was the best I have ever seen. Tonight I sat and watched the extra disk that came with Rotk dvd. It was not bad but I hope that the EE 2 dvd based on the making of the movies are a little better. I can't wait to see the EE. I hope that they put in the Healing House. This is the place where Eowen and Faramir are to fall in love. I cried from the moment that Theoden King died til the end of the movie.:cry::cry: By the time the movie was finished my nightshirt was all wet.

Hope all of you enjoy your copies. I know I did. The next time my roommate has to work overnight I will be watching it again.

Gimli to Legolas: That still only counts as one.
calperia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 01:38
Greetings fellow Tolkien Enthusiasts!

Well, I agree with Lothien and Atolkienhead: Sam Gamgee is my all-time favorite LotR character, and, yes--I also cried from the point that he carried Frodo up Mount Doom (in RotK) to the final scene, where he and Rosey walked into their Hobbit hole together. Tears, tears, tears! I needed lots of tissues!

My "Ringsathon" went splendidly! We got up early on Tuesday, had "First Breakfast" in the Shire (Meriadoc's Mushrooms went over big, as did the Gaffer's New Taters and Sam's Splendid Cinnamon Biscuits and Frodo's Scrambled Eggs Supreme!); Then, after breakfast, we ran out to purchase tRotK, came back and started the viewing of the movies. We had Elevenses (again with the Hobbits: trays of little loaves of bread, sliced apples, cheeses and nuts) and lunch in Lothlorien (the Feanorian Fruit Salad was a big hit, as was the Greenleaf Salad, and the Miruvor; but the Lembas didn't go over well, unfortunately ). Dinner in Rohan & Gondor was a big hit: the Roast Birds of Rohan, Faramir's Ithilien Salad, Theoden's Thump and the People's Peasant Bread were eaten with delight! We even had Ale (uh, the non-alcoholic kind for the Kiddies!).

And watching the movies made it especially special!

Glad to hear that all of you enjoyed tRotK; I too await the EE!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Yours in M.E.
Calperia

[Edited on 28/5/2004 by calperia]
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 02:15
Hello Everyone. I just got in on the early morning flight from Toronto and could'nt wait to catch up with everyone on the site. I've been reading everyone's posts with great interest. So much has been happening since I've been away.

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. I had a great one. Got to eat out at a great restaurant (East Indian food, my fav.)and a couple of my friends arranged for a cake complete with a candle for every year! Yes, it was a merry blaze! Putting that lot out was definitely a job for the fire department!

:wave: Welcome to all the newbies who've joined us in the weeks I've been away. You all sound a most interesting and learned bunch. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Goldie I took a quick peek at the pics of your costume. It was amazing what you did with so little cash! I so appreciate creative thinking and that is an outfit worthy of Nigella herself :cheers:

Scots: So glad you had such an amazing trip and that you enjoyed Kilravock, London and Stonehenge so much. Just seeing the pic of Kilravock brought back so many memories for me of my time there. London is such a fantastic city! I love the British Museum too and have spent many happy hours there, living in the past. Egyptian gallery is one of favs especially the mummies. Has anyone read Pauline Gedge's novels about ancient Egypt? They are really good. Stonehenge, my last visit there was probably 30 yrs ago! I just finished Bernard Cornwalls book about the Henge, great reading. Just looking at all those stone circles at Stonehenge and Avebury gives me goosebumps, the atmosphere fairly crackles!

OK, I confess. I have'nt got my copy of ROTK yet. I'm definitely waiting for the EE. Yes, the Houses of Healing are definitely on it and a bunch more stuff as well. As for the eye candy on it - Oh yes! This old gal can drool as well as anyone - maturity be dammed!! :naughty: :blush: :disco:

Well, this was my first real visit to Toronto. It is a beautiful city. I got to the top of the CN Tower (amazing view), visited the Egyptian Exhibition at the ROM and got to ride a couple of great roller coasters at Canada's Wonderland. Went to see the new Brad Pitt/Orlando Bloom movie Troy (yes, more eye candy, and it was sweet) and rented The Last Samurai a movie I've wanted to see for ages. I'm not the biggest Tom Cruise fan, but the movie was great and Ken Watanabee was terrific. Another movie I sat and cried through at the end.

The reason I was in Toronto was to negotiate my contract for fall. It was great to meet people in the movie industry there and just to see what is happening there. I now have a great contract and have been asked to work on the new PJ movie. The only down side to this is that I have to be back in NZ at the beginning of July, if I want things to happen. Otherwise I get relegated to other stuff. I was so hoping to do some touring in the States and Canada this summer. Many places I've wanted to see for so long, but will now have to wait. I had even contemplated retiring and doing other things, but I guess the lure is still there. So the next month is going to be a busy one, getting ready for the big move, finding a place to stay (my house is rented until October) and coping with all that kind of mayhem. But, I'm not complaining, I've had a a wonderful time with my family in Canada, (love the country, hate the winters) and will definitely be back. I have really enjoyed getting to know you all and I know when I'm back working I will not get much of a chance to check in, so I guess I'll just have to make the most of the next month. It's so good to be back! :love:

NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 04:48
jessamyn! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time and that you have returned! But sad news with the good news... :cry: And yet, if it still calls to you, by all means, heed the call!!! There will come a day when the call won't come or if it does you CAN'T heed it! What a wonderful opportunity!!! Congratulations! (We'll be here when you do have a chance to drop by, don't worry...) :love:

Thank you for the compliment on my outfit! :heart: The Ngila reference made my day! :blush:

Old Tom ~ YES YES YES!!! EVERY time Aragorn comes on the screen, I get weak in the knees! :heart: He has been my hero for all these long years and Viggo WAS Aragorn and thoroughly brought him to life! When I stop drewling I have stopped breathing!

But I agree with the others... It is the story, the friendship, the struggles, the partings that are the heart. I think we all know that... Nice to know you're just a teaser.

SPOILER:
Geez, even watching one of the documentaries I cried! It was Viggo's last scene and when he came off the stage he gave Peter the longest saddest hug I've seen! And when he was talking about it for the CD, he had to wipe away a tear! Now that is friendship and love! :heart: What a wonderful experience to have had...
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 12:02
Welcome back Jessamyn and congratulations on your next job!
How wonderful to work with PJ's films! That would be the job of a lifetime! There was much talk around me about taking off for NZ to be nothing more that an extra in the LOTR, but I did not actually know anyone who went. Living in Southeast Missouri does not afford much contact with the movie industry.

Like you, I did not care for most of the movies that Mr. Cruise had been making, but The Last Samurai is an excellent movie! It is a wonderful film that is as heart wrenching and informative of a people as Dances With Wolves. (of course I cried at the ending!) I bought it for my collection.

I am glad to hear your trip was such a great success and that you had a wonderful birthday.

We will miss you , but as Goldie said, we will be here whenever you return.

Calperia, your Ringsathon sounds as if it were a great success! I have been contemplating just such a party! Fun, Fun,Fun!!

I have not had the chance to sit down and watch the documentary, but that is coming this weekend. Thanks, Goldie, for warning me about how touching even it can be!

Sorry, Tom, just couldn't let you by with the comment! Of course us old birds like the eye candy too, but having been around awhile we like to think we are past some things considered immature. Having said that, I have to say, what a cast of candy!!!! :drool: :love:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 03:37
I would like to agree with Nenyagold that even the documentaries were sad. I too cried when the cast was giving hugs to PJ.:cry::cry::cry:

I would also like to congratulate Jessamyn on getting the contract with PJ again. It must be fun working for a guy that wears shorts and no shoes when he's filming. I don't know about all of you but give PJ a hug from his Canadian Lotr fans. Do you realize that when you leave it will be winter in NZ? At least the winters in NZ are not has harsh as Canadian winters. But keep warm.

I'm going to watch Rotk this weekend again. This will be my fifth time seeing it. I saw it 3 times in the theatres. :disco: :cheers:

Jessamyn, I wish all the luck in the world with your new contract. Have fun but not too much fun!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Gandalf: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 07:46
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

Old Tom rented ROTK afterall. Unfortunately it's due back Sunday at noon so I'll probably only have time to view it once.

I just finished watching the bonus DVD and enjoyed it very much.

I loved Miranda Otto's poignant comments comparing the cynicism and materialism of the modern age versus the values of loyalty, honesty, dignity, and courage portrayed in the story.

And, of course, I loved Billy Boyd's usual bit of nonsense: "In Return of the King, luckily Tolkien wrote that Pippin becomes a knight of Gondor, which means I get a right nice costume. (laugh) Me and Dom have been fighting about this, actually, who's got the best costume. We did ask six or seven of the girls that were around from wardrobe and make-up, and it was unanimous that it was me, that I had the best costume, and that I looked the handsomest, and also the sexiest."

Billy really cracks me up!

The other evening I was reading FOTR (for the umpteenth time) and came upon a quintessential Pippin moment that made me laugh. I had to share it with my wife (reading Pippin's part in imitation of Billy's Scottish brogue, of course):

Frodo sat down beside Sam and began to eat. 'What is the plan for today?' asked Pippin.
'To walk to Bucklebury as quickly as possible,' answered Frodo, and gave his attention to the food.
'Do you think we shall see anything of those Riders?' asked Pippin cheerfully. Under the morning sun and the prospect of seeing a whole troop of them did not seem very alarming to him.
'Yes, probably,' said Frodo, not liking the reminder. 'But I hope to get across the river without their seeing us...And now leave me in peace a bit! I don't want to answer a string of questions while I am eating. I want to think!'
'Good heavens! said Pippin. 'At breakfast?' He walked away towards the edge of the green...

(Edited to fix typo. :blush: )

[Edited on 5/31/2004 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 12:31
*pops her head round the door* Hiya everyone, it's an eternity since I posted here. :wave:

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

In the spirit of dear Bilbo, Suilad to those who I know or think I know and Mae Govennan to those I've yet to meet. :love:

Jessamyn: I truly hope you enjoy your next contract with PJ.

RotK: I haven't bought the extended RotK. Still in two minds, but the pull is very strong. I would imagine the EE version will be stupendous. :love:

I'm certain all of you are far too mature to go ga-ga over some hot, sweaty men (or perfectly coiffed elves, if you prefer) hewing orcs from sun up to sun down.

Hi Old Tom. You are a tease. Far too mature you say. I *think* not. If you can't have your fantasies. Heaven help us. Btw you forgot to mention the Uruk-hai and the Orcs themselves. :drool: Lol
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 07:33
Goodness me, a fancier of orc-kind!

Let me guess, you dated rugby players in high school?

(I originally wrote "football", but I was speaking of American football.)

[Edited on 5/29/2004 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 09:57
Billy really cracks me up!

I totally agree! He just makes me laugh out loud. I think the best scene is where they have just set out from Bree and are setting up for the "second breakfast". Just the look of utter horror/disbelief/shock/dismay on his face when he realizes that he won't be getting as many meals during the day as he is used to. I giggle just to think of it. He did such a marvelous job, as did the other cast members. The movies are a true joy.

Now, I know that PJ has been in cameo shots in the other movies. I did find him in FotR but have been unable to spot him elsewhere. :banghead: Any help/clues as to where to find him? I did spot his kids in both TTT and RtoK though. *pats herself on the back for 1 observation point* :disco:
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 02:39
Well I finally got my copy of the DVD on Friday - better late than never

Scots56 - about the cameo appearances, we have a thread devoted to just this topic in the movies discussion forum. You can find it here.

Sorry for the short post but I have to get back to watching my DVD
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 02:55
In TTT, PJ is one of the men that Saruman sends out from Isengard (before he sends out his Orc army) and in RotK he's the captain of one of the Corsair Black ships when they were first mentioned, and I can't remember now if it was when Gandalf told Aragorn he couldn't warn Gondor because he had to take another path or when Elrond gave Anduril to Aragorn... But it was the first time you see the ships. PJ is standing in the middle of the second ship and is there for only 2 seconds...
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 05:36
Hello everyone,old, new, returned and all. I got my copy of ROTK the minute I got off work on the 25th. Had to take my paycheck to the bank, then got the movie. Alas, I also had to buy groceries and go to a Cub Scout Meeting, then make 120 slices of french toast for the senior breakfast at the high school. So I didn't get to watch it that night. I did, however, toy briefly with the idea of dragging the tv, and dvd out to the kitchen to watch while I cooked. I didn't get to watch it til late the next night either as that was graduation. So it wasn't until gtraduation ws over that I got to start the DVD. Then I finished it the next night and watched all of the extra stuff too. It was a comfort just knowing it was under the same roof as me and I could watch it when I was able to.
I loved every bit of the extra documentaries but my favorite was when Ian McKellen talks about Middle Earth and where it is. It just exsists, he says. Boy Howdy does it ever, right here for all of us fans.
I was very sad when they showed the filming of Viggo's last shot. I was very impressed with PJ's comment that everyone they worked with were such nice people. I was also impressed (because it has been my impression of the acting) when PJ said that Viggo is Aragorn, that he owns the role. It's cool how PJ was able to get people to act on the film and to bring out the best of each character. None of them were big box office names but they are all splendid actors and very talented people.
Yes Tom, the eye-candy is delightful but I agree with everyone else, it is the story and the little stories and the characters and their journies through this time of trial that make the film and the book what they are. I could really feel the evidence of what Tolkein had experienced as I watched the movie this time. His war experiences were brought much more keenly to my mind. Excellent man!
Well, better go now, I've been windy enough.
Brandywine
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 09:32
[quote
I loved every bit of the extra documentaries but my favorite was when Ian McKellen talks about Middle Earth and where it is. It just exsists, he says. Boy Howdy does it ever, right here for all of us fans.
Brandywine,
You are so right about this. It is oh, so true. I had a unique experience last night to prove it. I was looking at the website: the Encyclopedia of Arda had never been there before. Anyway, my daughter who is not a Tolkien fan called me and when we were done chatting, she said: "Okay, now you can go back to Middle Earth." It just about blew me away. 1) she's never said anything like that before, 2) It made M.E. seem all the more real to me. This experience comes on the heels of another experience I have been having. I hesitate to mention this, but if there is anyone who can understand it, it would be you folks. Maybe you can give me some perspective on this.

It started on Friday afternoon. I was driving around running some errands with the A/C running. I kept hearing this sound of - hum - shall we say a great choir. I kept hearing what seemed to me to be the sound of music, heavenly music. It was sort of like the music when you are in Rivendell or when the Eldar marches into Helm's Deep just before the battle begins. At first it freaked me out, but then I kind of got used to it. I was beginning to enjoy it. I only heard it when I was in van. Then yesterday I started hearing it in the house. Last night I couldn't go to sleep the sound was playing so loud and it had for a little bit changed and become almost hostile, then it went back to peacefulness.

Now, either I am loosing my mind or I have jumped so far into all things Tolkien that my mind has taken me there. I don't know whether I should worry about this or just go with it. I need a little perspective.

Lothien_Vilya
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 09:49
Lothien ~ I think you need to realize that you had to have a mind in the first place in order to lose it... Mine went long ago...

Seriously though, I hear the music from the movies all of the time. It might be because whenever I have the chance, whether it be while at the computer or the fact that the three CD's live in my car, I listen to them and just don't get tired of them, and, with me, the last song I hear is the one that continues to go through my mind, until I hear another song.

So I think as far as I am concerned you are not alone. I've *lived* in Middle~Earth for 35 years and I have no intention of moving out.
kazbels
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 09:56

Oh no! :love: Legolas, Aragorn and Éomer can ride to my rescue any time! And I have no objection if you sneak an extra peak at Arwen, Éowyn or Galadriel.

But like everyone else has already so eloquently stated, it's the story, so wonderfully and brilliantly brought to the screen by PJ. I've watched RoTK 4 times since I bought it last Tuesday, after having seen it 7 times in the theatre (someone was always wanting to go see it, and they had to really twist my arm to get me to go with them :rolling: ) I just want to know if anyone has any more Kleenex?

[Edited on 31/5/2004 by kazbels]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 10:20
Lothien_Vilya, what you describe brings to my mind the Music of the Ainur as described in The Silmarillion. The discordant music is that of Melkor, and those who are swayed to his song.

I'm no pa-sychiatrist, but I'd guess that the music you're hearing may represent something going on in your life and/or the lives of your children. It may not be something you're consciously aware of.

If it continues to trouble you I’d probably recommend talking to someone. If you have a friend or relative you share things with, I suggest giving them a call.

Oh, and I also recommend a healthy dose of Hug Therapy. :hug:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 10:51
Lothien ~ I think you need to realize that you had to have a mind in the first place in order to lose it... Mine went long ago...

Mind???!!! Mind???!!! What's that? Oh, yeah, I remember that! Don't miss mine much to tell you the truth. :twitch:

As for me, like NenyaGold, I listen to the CDs ALL the time. In my car, at home, at school..wherever there is a CD player handy. I find the music running through my head, and I run with it humming/singing along. I have to be careful though; my "singing" might just be misconstrued as to be the discordant music of Melkor Old Tom was talking about. :blush:

Lothian, are you a musical sort? My understanding is that those who compose music "hear" it all the time. Maybe that's it. And as for being unnerved by it, I personally wouldn't be. What better place to live than in Middle Earth? I have to be pulled, kicking and screaming sometimes, into the "real" world. I can't really explain the sense of "home" that I feel when I'm either here or immersed in Tolkien's works, but I'm sure that all of you understand perfectly well what I feel. That in no way makes me feel "cracked" in relation to the real world, I just feel that I have the benefit of two worlds. Hope that helps and makes sense.

jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 05:38
When I was in Toronto I finally picked up a copy of Unfinished Tales (at last). It was the last one in the store and I've been reading it avidly since. I find if I put the CD's on while I'm reading, the music really takes me into the world of ME. I can lose my mind in the music and books. They are like coming home to a cozy fire, warm slippers and hot chocolate on a winters day, warm and welcoming. I have two other CD's of movie music that I love and that take me into another age. The soundtrack of Gladiator and one I just had to get after seeing the movie recently, The Last Samurai. Music is food for the soul. Keep listening to your heartsongs Lothien.
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 01:33
Yes, naturally good vs. evil where friendships and loyalty triumph is what makes this story endearing. These are qualities that we all hope we possess and the story of hope and perseverance is one we would want to model our lives after..
Peter Jackson did an awesome job bringing Tolkien’s vision to life. I know in my job, as an investigator for child abuse and neglect, it is very easy to become beat down, weary, and loose hope in mankind. But through my career I have always had the qualities I admire most about Tolkien’s world to comfort me and bring me hope for a new day. In the late 60’s and early 70’s we worked within ourselves to keep those qualities of truth, honesty, love and undying loyalty alive. We nurtured our fellow man. We not only took care of our children but we never turned away another in need. We had middle earth in our hearts and held it there keeping “Frodo” alive for all eternity. But, just a Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin grew and lost some of their innocence, so have I.

But, there is no denying…. It’s easy on the eyes. :disco:

Jessamyn - Hey, congrats on your new contract and have a great time in New Zealand. What exactly is it you do? I am glad you are reading the unfinished Tales I know you will not be disappointed. I loved the Last Samurai soundtrack also.

Hey, Lothien, go with it…someone else suggested you might be a composer. It is possible this is a hidden talent you have not yet discovered. Isn’t that exciting? I like Old Tom’s suggestion of lots of *Hugs* and Jessamyn’s “Heartsongs”

Gotta go now, "Later Days"

Peace Image
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 07:03
Scothia - I have just been reading some of the posts on the Fans Over Forty thread - I am, indeed, over forty and I have enjoyed many of the comments, though some dissing the movies bother me. I think they did a grand job on the movies given the restrictions necessary changing the written word into pictures.

I was deeply saddened by your announcement about the loss of your son. I have a 25 year old son right now and I have often said that I can't even imagine losing him - you know how you can imagine scenarios in your head about possible events - my mind stops when I think of losing him. I am so sorry. I am going to read your journal - thank you for sharing.

When I was about 17 I read LOTR for the first time. I did it right and read the Hobbit first. I was always an avid reader and I finished them off in record time - I didn't sleep much - I was so entranced I would read far into the night - it took me about a week to read the whole trilogy. I have read them 7 or 8 times since and when the movies started coming out I read them again. I didn't really become obsessed until the last movie came out and I borrowed the two EDVDs that were out. I have since purchased the EDVDs, pretty much worn them out and have had to just stop before I spoiled it for myself - I am waiting with baited breath for the third and last. Back to the novels - the depth of this writing is breathtaking - I am an English major - I have read many of the classics and the writing is right up there with many of them - true Tolkien did not do it in a "normal" fashion but it works. You get to know these characters and youo really care what happens to them - one thing the movies did is to make me more empathetic towards Boromir. I didn't see the Bakshi movie - I didn't want to spoil my vision of what Middle Earth and the characters looked like in my imagination. I will probably become like many people and start to read them once a year. Every time I do I get more out of them.

I didn't realize Led Zepplin did music about the LOTR - that's a new one on me - I will have to go back and listen - I used to be a Zepplin fan back in the late 60s, early 70s though my taste has changed somewhat since then. I have all three CDs of the soundtracks and have enjoyed them immensely.

I have found over the past few months that people look at me funny when I talk so animatedly about the movies and the books. They start saying I'm like a Trekky! So it's nice to see a thread that deals with how us old folks view the words of J.R.R. Tolkien. I will keep checking.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 07:35

Hey, Lothien, go with it…someone else suggested you might be a composer. It is possible this is a hidden talent you have not yet discovered. Isn’t that exciting? I like Old Tom’s suggestion of lots of *Hugs* and Jessamyn’s “Heartsongs”

You have all given me such wonderful food for thought.

I would like to say that I have NOT, as yet, listened to the CD's. I have them, I just haven't taken the time to play them. I will today!

I am not a composer, however, my grandmother was a concert pianist having played once at Carnige Hall (one of her proudest moments.) I do love music, but I couldn't tell a B flat from an F sharp if my life depended on it. After I posted my message yesterday, the oldies tune, "I can hear music, sweet, sweet music. . . " went through my head. That type of "hearing" music I understand. What I have been hearing of the heavenly cord is different. Your replies have given me a new perspective and hope. I have come to peace with it and for that, I thank thee! :love:

I must away for I will be going back to work 1/2 days next week and after a 10 week absense for the knee replacement, it will be oh, so much fun! LOL

Lothien_Vilya
calperia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 11:00
Suilad, Fans Over Forty!

I have been doing some catching up, reading from page 15 and a lot has been said in a couple of pages! But, then again, a lot can always be said about Tolkien and tLotR!

I wish Jessamyn the blessings of the Valar on the upcoming work in NZ with PJ--what a wonderful opportunity! But, I'm not jealous, of course...No, Precious, not at all

EruanwenSaeriel: I know what you mean about all those strange looks when you "talk animatedly" about Tolkien's works. I get them all the time. I am certain some of my friends think I live in "La-La-Land," but, y'know what? I don't really care (Calperia laughs hysterically ). My best friend and I share the same passion for Tolkien's phenomenal works, especially tLotR, so we have a great time chatting back and forth. She helped me with my "Ringathon" party and what fun it was! :love:

I am re-reading the Silmarillion now--quite a different read, as you all know. It is indeed very much like a history book, but it sets the stage for "later events."

I watched my new DVD of tRotK three times already. I may watch it again tonight or tomorrow. Everytime Sam carries Frodo up Mount Doom, I get teary-eyed. I also cry buckets (what a baby, I know ) when Aragorn and all the people of Gondor (and visitors from near and far) bow to the four Hobbits. And when Sam & Rosie enter their Hobbit hole at the end of the movie, I feel so sad ; it's such a wonderful story, I wish it didn't have to end!

Nenya, I also viewed your costume: great job; I am impressed! I am currently working on some Fellowship cloaks for my best friend, her two kids, and myself. I will also be creating a Hobbit costume for her son and a Galadriel costume for her daughter (ages 11 & 9, respectively). Maybe I can post some shots of the outcome for you to see.

Well, gotta run now. Time for supper. Blessings of Elves, Men and all Free Peoples be upon you all!

Navaer!
Calperia

shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 12:37
Wow!!! I can't be;ieve all the info since I last viewed this thread! I can't even remember who all said what all, but all very interesting reading, so...

Cute cat! Love cats! Got four!:heart:

2000 pictures??!! I hope you post a bunch of them, because the "forest, LothLorien" one is great! I'm glad you had such a great trip!

All those in tornado alley: Duck! and I hope you don't get hit. We lived in Indiana when I was very little, and I remember those storms!

Got the DVD and watched "The Hobbit" (cartoon version), FOTr, TTT, and Rotk this weekend! Can't wait for the EE version. The extra dvd info was great! You got to love Billy Boyd! And the rest of course! Didn't realize those characters mentioned were PJ! Thanks fro pointing that out.

SCHOOL'S OUT!!!! YEH!!!!

Congrats Jessamyn on the contract! what a lucky person you are, to work on PJ's movies!

A special congrats to Brandywine's daughter too! She is not only talented and athletic, she is very beautiful too!

Old Tom, I just read what you quoted from FoTR last night! I reread the Hobbit before school was out and am launching out on the quest of the rings again! It never gets old. It calls to me every summer. :heart:

I finished the Sim. earlier this year (for the first time) but I'm dying to get the rest of Tolkien's books too,i.e. The Lost Tales, etc. Got to do that this week, by hook or by crook.

Aren't you supposed to hear music all the time??? Are you hearing it in your mind's ear, or are you hearing it with your outside ears when it's not playing? In any which case, at least you are "tuned in" to the right station. And consider yourself hugged.

Well, guess I better go home and mow the lawn. It's really tall. And big. I usually relate to Frodo and Sam climbing Mt. Doom before it's done! I know their is more I wanted to comment on, but "Hi!" and "Well-met!" to one and all!

Sérë, Shireling
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 03:11
Hey Shireling good to see you back, missed you. :heart:

I thought I would take this opportunity to ask....I anyone here going to Dragon Con in Atlanta this year besides me? It is the largest Sci Fi convention in the nation. Last year it was amazing...you can go here and check it out. Last year John Rys-Davies and Brad Dourif were there and this year I know Sala Baker will be there not sure who else from LOTR films are planned. But it doesn’t matter because we always have such a great time. Last year I dressed as a Serving Wench this year I am going as Xena Warrior Princess. Been Working on my Costume for about 6 mos. now….Anyone know where I might acquire a Chakram?

Later Days
Peace Image

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 07:42
Hey! derry dol! merry dol, my darling!

Looking for a chakram? Take thislink to legendaryheroes.com where you may purchase one for only $400. What a bargain! :twitch:

Either that or take a blow torch to an old hubcap.
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 12:31
Hey! derry dol! merry dol, my darling!

Looking for a chakram? Take thislink to legendaryheroes.com where you may purchase one for only $400. What a bargain! :twitch:

Either that or take a blow torch to an old hubcap.

Now where did I put that blow torch..... .

Peace Image
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 02:22
:cry: Oh, to be able to go to the convention in Atlanta. I spent all of my pennies in the fun account in England and Scotland. Now, I'm not complaining at all, but I just wish I was independently wealthy so I could go to all of these places and do all of these things that I want to do. *heavy sigh*

That, and plus the fact that my son got accepted to the Naval Academy *three cheers!* :cheers: :disco: :rolling: and somewhere within a month of that date, we are going to Parent's Day halfway across the country. So....you make your choices when you have to. Maybe next year.

Shireling: Yippee Skippiee for you being out of school. Do you have to do as many workshops during the summer as we do? There is a rumor floating around somewhere that teachers get the summer off. As for me, it's not true. At least I am learning new things, which is a good thing.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 08:12
Scots56
Yes, I've heard that rumor too! It doesn't really happen to 99% of the teachers I know, either. I've got a 4h camp coming up in June, summer school in July, and back to school in August. Not to mention cleaning, cleaning, cleaning at home and up at my mom's house. Not taking a class this summer, at least at this point. I will next fall. Hope to do some house painting, gardening, you know, all that stuff. How about you? What are you up to this summer? What kind of classes/inservices are you taking? It's still nice to be out,and doing something different, isn't it?

TopazDragon: Nice to be back! I've got to get this set up at home so I can be online more! I'm saving pennies to get an Emachine at home. Soon, I hope!

Well, got to go! God's speed, one and all!
<< First1112131415Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email