Register

<< First1314151617
Author Topic:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: June 14, 2004 09:43
[I’m very happy to have rekindled some fond memories, Lady Lothien. I've only recently become familiar with the works of some of the more prominent Tolkien artists like Alan Lee, John Howe, and Ted Nasmith. Of the three I am most fond of the works of Mr. Howe.

Thanks for these. The Howe picture of Gandalf is now my new wallpaper on my work computer. currently I have the poster for FOTR as wallpaper on my home computer. With so much to choose from I may have to change that very soon.

Blessings on FoF.
Lothien

NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 12:08
Well, the adventure has begun! When you have a chance, check out Returning Home: The Journey and if you find yourself wishing you were with us, please do join in!

So far we have several half Elf/half Dúnedain Rangers, A Hobbit, and a Dwarf. We're hoping for more before we actually start on the road. So if you are interested, either post in the FoF RPG OoC or PM me.

Come enjoy the fun! :love:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 03:50
:wave: Greetings to all of you on the FoF thread. I've been away in Minas Tirith for a few days with Elfstan Fairbairn getting ready for our grand adventure home to the Shire. I've also been locked within the dreaded Service Unit being tortured with completing assessment portfolios and not so tortured painting and redecorating a bitsy my Hobbit hole.

I did want to drop in to say "Hi-ya" and hope that all is going well for all of you.

[Edited on 20/6/2004 by scots56]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 07:05
Well, just under half an hour to live RPing.

I'm excited about being on the quest. My roomy has joined with me on my quest. We have 6 people on our
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 06:30
Scots56: I've been redecorating as well. Painted the trim in the master bedroom a color called "Plumberry". The walls will be a nice soft yellow. It's been fun. I do hate to wait for paint to dry however. Anybody else out there redcorating this summer?

The RP went well today, I understand. Really enjoyed getting to add my little bit. Hope all you out there are considering joining us. I believe we'll have a great adventure.

Bye for now.
Brandywine :wave:
kazbels
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 07:13
Hearing about the young ticket-taker who wasn’t as familiar with the LOTR as he thought reminds me the two young nerdlings ahead in line of my wife and I at the Medieval Times in Toronto for the masquerade ball during The Gathering of the Fellowship last December. They were scoffing at the tall gentleman dressed as Gandalf the Grey because his hat was blue. They became rather quiet when I informed them that in the books Gandalf’s hat is blue. Actually, it is in the movie, too. It’s just that it’s so faded it is difficult to tell.

Oh Tom, I love this story! Things like that sure weed out the "wannabees" from us die-hard fans who know the name of Éomer's horse.
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 12:36
**Goldie patiently waits for Lothien to ride up any day now and the Rangers head off on their adventure**

Anyone else want to join us?

Topaz, runs in late....OMG, hope I haven’t missed them I do, so much, want another adventure. :disco:

Topaz, saddles up and is heading out to find them

Peace
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 01:03
Hi to everyone. I know I don't post here often, but I do lurk.

I'm sure we'll wait for you Topaz in the Adventure Inn.

It was truly fantastic yesterday in the live RP. We are such a creative bunch. :love:

Looking forward to next Sunday. Who's addicted. *Looks round to see if someone is behind her*. LOL
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 02:03
Topaz, runs in late....OMG, hope I haven’t missed them I do, so much, want another adventure.

Topaz, saddles up and is heading out to find them

Yay, Topaz! That would be lovely if you join the throng! We had a really good time during the live RPing. The time went by very quickly, for me at least.

As for being/becoming addicted...*Elfstan looks sidelong at Kain and keeps his little Hobbit mouth shut for he too knows he's already become addicted.*
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 04:19
Oh Tom, I love this story! Things like that sure weed out the "wannabees" from us die-hard fans who know the name of Éomer's horse.

Uh oh, better include me among the wannabees: I don't know the name of Éomer's horse.

No, wait, maybe I do. Is it Hasufel? :disco:

*thumbs through his copy of "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth"*

D'oh! That was the horse Éomer's lent to Aragorn. :angry:

Arod? :naughty:

*thumbs through his copy of "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth...again"*

Strike two! That was the horse Éomer lent to Legolas and Gimli. :twitch:

*picks ups some dirt and rubs it between his hands, steps back into the batter box, digs his cleats into the clay, takes a few practice swings then awaits the next pitch*

Let's see, Asfaloth was Glorfindel's horse, so I know that's not it...

Shadowfax is right out...

Sea-biscuit and Man-o-War are way, way out...

Pokey - Gumby, Silver - The Lone Ranger, Trigger - Roy Rogers...

I guess I don't know. Pardon me everyone, I'm gonna go eat worms. :sob:
kazbels
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 07:14
I guess I don't know. Pardon me everyone, I'm gonna go eat worms
I will tell you, so you can amaze everyone at the next gathering of the Grey Company and win the bonus question in Tolkien Jeopardy!

It's Firefoot. Éomer mentions it when he asks Gimli to ride with him in The King of the Golden Hall. I think that's the only time it's mentioned.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 02:47
Kazbels: Is "King of the Golden Hall" a chapter in the books of the trilogy or is that aseparate story found elsewhere. (eating my plate of worms.)

Old Tom: thanks for asking the name of Eomer's horse. I wanted to know too but was too chicken. Now my curiousity is peaked I have to ask more questions. (see above)
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 02:58
Ah, I just checked in The Two Towers and "The King of the Golden Hall" is Chapter VI in Book Three.

I always thought that was a good name for a horse. Kinda suggested that he burned to run?

I have to admit, right behind Aragorn, Eomer is my favorite! And I do think that Karl Urban played him very well in the movies. Such wonderfully broad, strong shoulders. And I loved the way he looked at his sister. Lots of love there.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 03:46
Hey everyone, guess what? I'm gonna be on TV!! :disco:

I was about to eat those worms I mentioned in my last post when this guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to be on TV. Well, I'm no dope so of course I said, "Yes!" I was so excited that I signed all the contracts he threw in front of me without even reading them.

As he was leaving I yelled out to him, "Hey! What's the name of the show I'm gonna be on?" Has anyone ever heard of "Fear Factor"?

P.S. Hey, Goldie! I love the new flower avatar, and I'm sure all the ladies find the guy in your signature swoonalicious.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 03:59
As he was leaving I yelled out to him, "Hey! What's the name of the show I'm gonna be on?" Has anyone ever heard of "Fear Factor"?

O.K....are you serious??? I've only seen the ads. Too intense of a show for little old me to watch. But if you're going to be on, I'd make an exception. :rolling:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 04:51
Old Tom ~ Wow! That's exciting! I watched the first season of Fear Factor but lost interest. But I'll be back if you're going to be on it.

Thank you for the compliment on my Avatar. I grew that Rose. It is called El Dorado and is my favorite of all Roses. Also, I took the photo and made the avi gif.

As for that "swoonalicious" guy in my sig, OH YES!!! :blush: My character, Goldie, has had a thing for him for a long time now... Ladies!!! Hands off!!! He's MINE!!!
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2004 02:47
Old Tom: I take it that's the American TV 'Fear Factor'. We do get it here in the UK, but how up to date it is I don't know.

Best of luck, when you do appear. Btw, how will we know it is you. We don't know what you look like and I'm sure they aren't going to introduce you as Old Tom Bombadil. LOL.

Hope you do well anyway. :love:

*sticks hand up in the air* 'Oooh, oooh, I knew that, I knew that about 'King of the Golden Hall'. Didn't know Eomer's horse though.

Dark and brooding, eh Goldie. :drool: :love:
Lingua
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2004 11:49
Not to interrupt any conversations currently going...but I need a reality check from some other adults. I just posted a prayer request on the Christian thread, so I thought I'd come here for the other side of the coin of life.

I have met a deeply troubled girl over the Net (NO, I am NOT a stalker), and long story short I want to do something about the hell her life is. I'm a 55-year-old self-employed empty-nester, settled in my little world, not discontent with many things. Am I oiut of my cotton'pickin' mind to want to take on this girl? Note:' she is woven into my heart so deep that a transplant could not get her out. Tell me I'm insane or tell me that I deserve a medal, but what do you think? If it helps, I do have the time and resources to do this.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2004 04:05
Lingua: Boy I'd be very careful. Protect your interests, especially the financial ones before you get involved. There are some very sweet, helpless seeming people in the world out there who are very serious leeches and worse. Keep everything neutral for awhile and if you can have a private detective check this person out to see if they are for real. I'm always on the side of caution.
However, I do commend you for your great heart and willingness to serve your fellow man. It's nice to see people who have the means and a desire to help. They don't always go hand in hand.
For a real reality check watch Forensic Files on A&E for a week or so before you get in too deep.
God Bless You and this poor girl.
Brandywine

Old Tom... No way, really, wow, good luck. In that order.

Goldie...Very Nice pics. You do have a talent for the good ones.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2004 06:09
No, no, my silly friends. Old Tom isn't going to be on TV anymore than he was truly going to eat worms. That was just a joke, and the bit about "Fear Factor" was merely the punch line.

When I was little I'd sometimes pout when I became upset. To cure me of my little pout my mom would sing to make me laugh,

Nobody loves me
Everybody hates me
I think I'll go eat worms

Well, thinking about eating worms got me to thinking about Fear Factor (I've never watched the show but have seen the commercials), thus the genesis of the joke. I'm sorry if you all thought it was serious.

Speaking of serious...

Lingua, no, you're not crazy for wanting to help someone in need. That's the natural reaction of a decent, caring person. However, as brandywine suggests, be very, very careful before taking someone in.

In your place I'd be much more inclined to provide a friendly ear and some kindly advice than to try to solve a young person's problems. I think that sort of thing is probably best left to the professionals.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 01:25
When I was little I'd sometimes pout when I became upset. To cure me of my little pout my mom would sing to make me laugh,

Nobody loves me
Everybody hates me
I think I'll go eat worms

Old Tom: Were your mom and mine related???? Mine sang the same song to me. Of course, it was all in fun as I was NEVER pouty. I was the perfect child you know. *cough, cough* The one my mom sang also had something about the types of worms there were. Something like big fat slimy ones and so on. I can't really remember the rest of the song.

Lingua: Like all those here, I applaud you on your willingness to help this young person, but also like the others here, I'd steer clear of getting anymore involved than lending a willing ear. In my line of work, I come across troubled children. Over the years, after many times of getting burned, you get to learn that what they say not always be the truth. Maybe the truth in their perceptions but not in reality. If you truly feel that this person needs help, contact those who are trained to help and let them know about her. They know best what to do, and it leaves you clear from litigation. That sounds harsh I know, but there are a lot of really manipulative people out there and you have to be careful.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 02:33
A quick Google search brought up 5 versions of the worm song, I won't post them all or all the verses but the one I recognised as the end of the first verse was:

Long ones, short ones, fat ones, thin ones
See how they wriggle and squirm

Lingua - like everyone else seems to have said, you need to be really careful. Things are not always what they seem. I'd endorse what scots said
I'd steer clear of getting anymore involved than lending a willing ear
If the girl needs help this needs to come from professionals.

Nice rose Goldie, sadly torrential rain and wind last night has played havoc with my roses
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 11:10
the one I recognised as the end of the first verse was:

Long ones, short ones, fat ones, thin ones
See how they wriggle and squirm

We always said: Bite of their heads, suck out the juice, my what a tasty treat!

Lingua - I'm with the others on this. Your heart is in the right place but the UP MOST CAUTION is advised. Of my personality, my mother always used to say, "you can find more people of the stray dog lot than anyone I have ever known." Not once in my life has it ever turned out well. Not always bad, but not well.

The advise that 'if she needs help, then she needs professionals' is probably your safest bet. If you really want to help her a listening ear and positive feed back may be just the trick. If her situation is that bad, then seek out the professionals that are already helping her. If there are no professionals involved, then get them involved and discuss your desire to help with them. Let them lead you!

Blessings to all.
Lothien_Vilya

[Edited on 24/6/2004 by Lothien_Vilya]
Lingua
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 12:00
Hannon le, everyone, you're not saying anything I haven't already said in my own head. I've sought legal counsel and am speaking with a child psycholgist locally. I see troubled people of all ages all the time, why this one gets to me so deeply, I DUNNO. I apprecaite your feedback.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 12:15
On the worm thing. I'm getting a mental picture here of Gollum/Smeagol putting the worm on the hook. We used to sing that song too. Just for fun and to make everyone else say "Yuck"

Tom, you nearly had my leg pulled clear off. LOL
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 01:11
On the worm thing. I'm getting a mental picture here of Gollum/Smeagol putting the worm on the hook. We used to sing that song too. Just for fun and to make everyone else say "Yuck"

Tom, you nearly had my leg pulled clear off. LOL

I can't wait till our RPG gets back to the shire area and we head for old Tom's place in the Old Forest. We will drag him into this story 'kicking and screaming' for all his jokes. :love:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 01:54
I can't wait till our RPG gets back to the shire area and we head for old Tom's place in the Old Forest. We will drag him into this story 'kicking and screaming' for all his jokes.

I think that is a great idea. We'll make you play Old Tom. It is really a good time. :rolling:
atreides1
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 02:49
Hello all, I'm a newbie and definitely over 40. I Live in Tucson Arizona.

I've been a Tolkien fan since I was in the 6th grade, many, many years ago. I look forward to conversations here on on the other Forums.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 05:26
Aiya atreides1!!! Welcome to the FoF!!! So glad you could find us hiding over here.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 06:38
I also would like to welcome atreides1. :wave:

We at FoF have all kinds of talks with everthing. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. That's why we at FoF need help (at least some of us do). :feedback: Life is not all that simple.

So again welcome to the FoF.

Bilbo in Grey Havens in ROTK

OH! Here is a sight that I have not seen before. I think I'm quite ready for another adventure>

kazbels
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 06:49
Mae govannen atreides1.

Brandywine, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you about which book "The King of the Golden Hall" was located in. Fortunately, NenyaGold pinch-hit for me - thanks!

[Edited on 27/6/2004 by kazbels]
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 07:40
Atreides1 - - - Welcome, Welcome to the hottest Old Foogies site on the net. If you can't find fun here you've hit the last bump in the road. :naughty:

I've been a Tolkien fan since I was in the 6th grade, many, many years ago. I look forward to conversations here on on the other Forums.

Welcome to the party!
Lothien_Vilya/aka Siladan
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 03:54
:wave: Máravë omentaina, Atredies1! And welcome to one of the most awesome LotR sites out there. You will also find here some of the most amazingly knowledgeable Tolkien-ites in the whole of Middle Earth. Plus, if you've read any of this thread, we have a WHOLE lot of fun. We look forward to getting to know you better.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 04:26
hi there atreides1 - welcome to the Fans over Forty thread and to the wonderful online world of CoE :rolling:
Since69
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 06:00
Golly gee whillikers, I'm glad I found this section! If I hear one more little girl gush about Orlando Bloom I'll vomit. I'm still more or less a newbie and don't have time to chat long today so I'll just say I look forward to reading your comments and contributing my own. PS, I am re-reading the trilogy AGAIN. Obsessed, moi?
<< First1314151617
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email