Register

<< First1213141516Last >>
Author Topic:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: June 02, 2004 08:38
Kazbels: As to your comment that someone was always wanting to go and see ROTK. I had that problem too... Great Problem. I went to see it five times in the theatre. I went with someone different every time except one...when I went by myself.

Lothien: I hear the music of the shire all the time with my "mind's ears". I used to hear the music that played as Aragorn and company approached the Argonath on the river. It changes from time to time. I figure that this is what ME sounds like.

Scots56 and Nenya: As to your "mind" or lack of it. I think that ME is what keeps me sane. We all need little diversions in life. Better this than alcohol, drugs, etc. I personally am quite happy with my ME and Potter diversions. I especially enjoy ME because there are so many adults there. However, my students have accused me of being just like Professor McGonagal from HP. That's okay. I'd like to thought of as a great storybook character. Last year I was the Cat in the Hat for our school's first reading night.

EruanwenSaeriel: Welcome. This is a great place to hang out.
You will find many kindred spirits here. I was informed by a friend a few weeks ago that people who are "into" LOTR are called "Ringers". It's like being a Trekky of a different movie.

Not much else to say today. Enjoyed everyone's posts and comments. I am off to do yard work and do all those weekday things that I never get done during the week all year because I am working.

Scots56: Yes, we other teachers scoff at the "you only work three months" thing. I have a two day conference at the end of June and summer school in July. then we go back to work in the third week of August so of course I will be in my classroom prepping in the first and second weeks of August. I'm teaching different classes next year. Not difficult but requiring a new mind set (in this case two new mind sets as I'll be teaching P.E. and Music). Takes a little time to plan a year out and get it set up with standards etc. Anyway, you're not alone.

The hubby and I are going to take a trip to South Dakota in about a weeks time. Our destination (eventual) is Mt. Rushmore but we'd like to enjoy the journey as well. We are going from Idaho. Anyone have any tips on must see places or things to do. We are both fairly fit. (Proved it by walking five miles through brush and stinging nettle Sunday afternoon to find 9 darn cows. ) Would like to hear from anyone in the know on the South Dakota journey.
Later; for work and chores call.
Brandywine
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 02:32
Scotts 56: Congrats to you and your son :disco: :rolling: :disco: I have Two Nephews who are assigned to submarines and a slew of Navy men in my family including my father, brothers and so on. My own Son decided he would break with tradition and be an Air Force man.

brandywine: South Dakota - The Bad Lands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wounded Knee, Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Aug 9-15, Caves, state parks, hiking, fishing....I love South Dakota. You are going to have a blast. Went as a Family Unit one summer and we could not get enough. There is something for everyone. Have Fun!!!

I too am taking vacation starting the 11th of June and will be surfing in sunny Florida. All of my brothers still live there so I never have to worry about a place to stay.

Gotta run....Later Days

Peace Image

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 06:12
I was informed by a friend a few weeks ago that people who are "into" LOTR are called "Ringers".

I thought Ringers were those guys your employer hired to help the company team win the softball tournament.

But seriously…

I became acquainted with the term “Ringers” last December at The Gathering of the Fellowship convention in Toronto. I thought it applied to those who frequented TheOneRing.net, or TORN as it's known. (The guy who MC'ed many of the events at The Gathering was "Quickbeam" of TORN. I'm not sure whether or not he coined the term, but he sure seemed to be acting like he did.)

On another subject...

Does anyone know or is anyone learning Tengwar (and Tehtar)? I attended an introductory class in Tengwar at the aforementioned Gathering which kind of got me interested. It reminds me a lot of the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) I studied at the university. Basically each symbol represents a sound rather than a letter.

Anyway, lately I've been devoting a little time to learning the Tengwar for English. (Today I transposed the "Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow..." poem into Tengwar.) When and if I become proficient enough I'd like to start learning Sindarin.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 06:40
The hubby and I are going to take a trip to South Dakota in about a weeks time. Our destination (eventual) is Mt. Rushmore but we'd like to enjoy the journey as well. We are going from Idaho. Anyone have any tips on must see places or things to do. We are both fairly fit. (Proved it by walking five miles through brush and stinging nettle Sunday afternoon to find 9 darn cows. ) Would like to hear from anyone in the know on the South Dakota journey.
Later; for work and chores call.
Brandywine

You must absolutely see Devil's Tower, WY it is just off the road to Mt. Rushmore. When you get close enough you see it this huge rock is jutting up out of the plains. It is a spectacular site. Also, there is the Corn Palace. It is some type of theater/convention center. But not ordinary. The outside is decorated annually (each years decoration being a different theme) with corn. It is amazing and worth the trip. I believe it is in Mitchell, SD. Worth the trip. Be sure to watch along the road for the wild life that abounds in some places. I'm a central Illinois girl and I loved our trip through SD two years ago.

Old Tom - I found this website by accident one day. I thought it might be of interest to you. www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/tengwar/

I have listened to the CD soundtracks and have realized the music I have been hearing is not that music. I must be, as Old Tom said hearing my own hearts music of the Anur. I am at peace now with that and am feeling a little blessed to have heard it.

I'm curious to know, have any of you got or seen the Argonoth bookends currently being sold with the FOTR EE dvd's? I would like to know if you think they are worth the $ being asked for them.

Off to the real world for now.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 12:21
Brandywine,
I went to SD a couple summers ago to see my cousin who lives in Custer. I didn't get to see half of what I wanted. Saw Rushmoore, Crazy Horse, Mammoth diggings, but that's about all. SD is a very wonderful place! I can see why the Native Americans considered the Black Hills a spiritual place. It is really awesome and stays with you. Also loved the "glittery" dirtthere :heart: ! The whole ground sparkles!:heart: I could enjoy living there just for that! Anyway, heed the suggestions of those others who have been. It really is a great place to go. Awesome caves too. And lots of prairie dogs!! There are even a few mt. goats around Mt. R. that escaped from a transport from Idaho on their way to Washington DC. So you won't be the only "tourist" from ID there!
Well, I finished painting the inside of two of my schoolroom closets, (bright yellow) They are going to have to have a couple more coats before I can put stuff away in them, so guess I'll be back again tomorrow.

Do enjoy SD Brandywine! And vaya con Díos, mi amiga!

Sérë, Shireling
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 05:48
Lothien_Vilya
I'm curious to know, have any of you got or seen the Argonoth bookends currently being sold with the FOTR EE dvd's? I would like to know if you think they are worth the $ being asked for them

I have seen these up close and they are worth having if you want a pair. :disco: :love: I would go to ebay and see if there are any there. I have gotten a lot of things Lotr related there. That's where I purchased my One Ring.

Hopes this helps.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 08:28
Balrog
I would go to ebay and see if there are any there. I have gotten a lot of things Lotr related there. That's where I purchased my One Ring.

Oh, yes indeed. EBay is the first place I look when wanting to purchase anything. Actually, it was eBay where I first saw the Argonath. I was so excited when I saw them, but they went so high. I had to check it out. They can be had from a couple of places locally, but they are $73-$85. :cry: That's a lot of small change. Amazon.com has them for $60 with free shipping. I think I will go there. I just wanted to make sure they are worth the money and not some cheap thing. I have a lot of books to sit between them, IE: The History(s) of Middle Earth, etc.

Everyone must be having some wonderful outdoor activities, because no one is here to post. I was going to say "Summer activities, but it is winter in the SOUTH.) Hope everyone is having fun.
:heart:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 06:49
If these are the same Argonath bookends that came with the extended DVD for FOTR, then I have a set.

They're not particularly large nor are they particularly heavy, and they lack a solid edge to stack books against, so don't plan on them being terribly functional if you purchase them. They're probably best used as bookends for small paperbacks or for DVD cases.

They're not particularly sturdy, either, or at least mine aren't. The bookend figure that lacks a beard (I presume this is supposed to be Anarion while the bearded figure is presumably Isildur) has already suffered a couple of mishaps, losing the fingertips of his extended hand and...his head! (Fortunately I was able to glue that back on.)

I'd say they're definitely overpriced at $60. It that price includes the FOTR extended DVD then it's probably worth it, though.

If you're looking for LOTR-related bookends, I recommend The Lord of the Rings Book and Bookend Gift Set featuring Gandalf and Bilbo; in addition to the bookends it includes the LOTR bound in one volume.

It appears that Amazon.com has sold out of the bookends, but it links to merchants selling them for about $50. These bookends were previously sold separately at sideshowtoy.com but were discontinued once the gift set came about.

[Edited on 6/5/2004 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]

[Edited on 6/5/2004 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 07:40
The one thing I would really like to have are quality dolls. The only thing I have seen are the 12 inch models that came out and they are ok, but not what I want. I can think of nothing better than to have all the main characters dressed in exquisite clothing. I keep waiting, surely someone will put them out. The next hurdle would be to be able to afford them!! I considered making them myself, but my experience with firing ceramics is limited and I would have to find a kiln. Has anyone out there come across anything?
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 08:01
Here is the most detailed and beautiful Arwen doll I've seen yet. This is an awesome Doll Website. The doll's details are just stunning... No idea of price...

I have an old (obviously... ) collection of storybook dolls. Every birthday or Christmas I would receive another. I think I ended up with 30 or so. They are in a box somewhere at my folks. Gee, I haven't thought of them in years!!! :heart:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 10:51
The one thing I would really like to have are quality dolls. The only thing I have seen are the 12 inch models that came out and they are ok, but not what I want. I can think of nothing better than to have all the main characters dressed in exquisite clothing. I keep waiting, surely someone will put them out. The next hurdle would be to be able to afford them!! I considered making them myself, but my experience with firing ceramics is limited and I would have to find a kiln. Has anyone out there come across anything?

I've given up trying to get anything exquisite. I've settled on the 6" toybix series of possible plastic figures. I can afford them. I have space for them. I can enjoy them when I want to "play."

Old Tom - Thanks for the advise on the Argonath's. The sets do come with the FOTR EE, so I guess it is a good deal. Especially when one considers the cost of the EE. Even Wal-Mart is charging $32.99 just for the ee dvd.

My biggest problem is I want all these things and I want them NOW, just like a little kid in a candy shop.:cry: Patience is not one of my greatest virtues. I do try though. :banghead:

Well, off to enjoy the day.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 01:25
Nenya: I went to that doll website. The Arwen Evenstar doll is indeed beautiful. Cool!

Many thanks to all for the advice on places to see on our trip. It draws ever nearer and is really not so much as far as trips go, but it will be nice to get away and hit the open road for awhile and let our cares fly out the window with the breeze.

I think I am quite ready for another adventure (Bilbo Baggins).

Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 07:02
Goldie, is the doll for sale? I could find nothing that indicated a price but she looks unbelievable!! I am sure I could never afford her, but what a wish list she would make!!! She is truly exquisite!! I need to do a more intensive search to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the site.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 07:35
ATH, I don't know... Here is the home page for that site. There she says they are available on e-bay although none are at the moment... And by "Special Commission". There is also a contact link and you can be added to her mailing list. If you find out, please let us know.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 04:22
Many thanks to all for the advice on places to see on our trip

Brandywine: If you're still home and want some more places to visit on your trip, you might consider Fort Robinson and Toadstool Park in northwestern Nebraska right outside of Crawford. It is absolutely beautiful up there. Lots of history and amazing scenery. It's not exactly next to where you are going but not too far either...depending on how long you have. It's my favorite little part of my state.

I haven't been able to find the price on the Arwen doll either. I would sure be interested to see how much she is. I'm sure that on a teacher's salary she's way out of my league. Can you imagine having an entire set of these of the major figures from the books?
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 05:41
Goldie those dolls are so beautiful I can hardly breath looking at them!! :love: They must be very expensive because the only thing close to a price quote is "These dolls are sold in private collections only". I have never seen anything so exquisite in all of my life. There are actually two Arwen dolls. One is Arwen the Elven Princess from the book and the other one is in the coronation dress from the movie. The book Arwen is colored like the description in the book when Frodo first sees her, the other colored like Liv. I have an idea that I would have to sell something important in my life to own one of those dolls, like my car!!! lol Thanks for the site, it is lovely to behold the work of such artists. It would be nice to be able to own such beautiful things!* sigh*

BTW Barbie is doing Arwen and Ken Legolas due out in October. You can pre-order them now but they don't have a picture of them yet. They will sell for &39.95 each. Much more my speed!! I am sure they will be nice but after the first dolls nothing is going to compare!

[Edited on 8/6/2004 by Atolkienhead]
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 10:48
Goldie those dolls are so beautiful I can hardly breath looking at them!! :love: They must be very expensive because the only thing close to a price quote is "These dolls are sold in private collections only". I have never seen anything so exquisite in all of my life.

I am so thankful that I was never a fancy doll fan. :sleepy: I was most happy with a little dolly my grandmother made for me. (Which I still have safely stored in a class dome cover.) I would much rather spend the kind of money these dolls cost on other Tolkien items. :naughty: Like the hardcover editions of all the History's of Middle-earth or to buy the official replica of Strider's sword with sheath so I can dress myself up and be a Ranger pal to Goldie. Riding off into the sunset after vanquishing some great evil. But indeed, thanks for the thoughts on these dolls and to NenyaGold for the link to the picture. Wow, what a DOLL! My mother would have loved her. :drool:

Blessings on your day. I'm off to read more of the Silmarillion. I can't seem to put it down for very long. I'm loving it.

Lothien_Vilya
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 01:39
**Goldie patiently waits for Lothien to ride up any day now and the Rangers head off on their adventure**

Anyone else want to join us?
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 02:44
**Goldie patiently waits for Lothien to ride up any day now and the Rangers head off on their adventure**

Anyone else want to join us?

Count me in! When do we leave???? I would dearly love to undertake a quest to bring about the downfall of the evil empire of the State Assessments. A noble quest indeed for any teacher/ranger/hobbit!!!

BTW...has anyone seen The Prisioner of Azkaban yet? The spousal unit and I went last night to the way late show. I need to see it again as some late teen/early 20s group of kids didn't think carefully and talked rather loudly through the movie. I'm a pretty distractable person, so that made me miss more of it than I wanted to. Oh well, just have to go again. I can live with that.

Also, if you did go, what did you think of it?

[Edited on 10/6/2004 by scots56]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 04:03
Nay, Goldie lass, Old Tom will not be going:

Tom's country ends here: he will not pass the borders.
Tom has his house to mind, and Goldberry is waiting!

But do have a nice adventure.

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 04:20
Yay scots56! The more the merrier! :cheers:

Tom, that's quite alright. At least we know someone will be here when we return, hopefully with a warm fire and hot meal a waiting. :wave:

Yes, I have seen PoA (which is my favorite Harry Potter book) and like with the LotR Books vs Movies (having read all of the HP books), I went with the mind-set that it would not be the same. I loved it!

My husband has not read the books and although he really enjoyed the first two movies, he was very confused watching this one.

So as not to spoil anyone's enjoyment, I will say no more and direct you to the discussions in Hagrid's Hut for the books and prior movies and PoA Movie with Spoilers, both of which are in the Palantir.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 05:27
[quoteMy husband has not read the books and although he really enjoyed the first two movies, he was very confused watching this one.

The same with my husband. I had to do a lot of filling in on the way home. Having read the book many times, I could fill in the blanks easily. Maybe not so with someone not so well versed in them. Oh, well, the spousal unit just wants to go again. That's do-able.

I also went with the mindset that it would be more of a companion movie to the book rather than a faithful reproduction. It fulfilled that nicely. I really enjoyed it.

I got into a discussion with the young ticket-taker who was upset that they left things out the PoA. He said that Peter Jackson left most of LotR in and just fiddled with the timeline a bit. My husband rolled his eyes knowing what was coming. I told the young man, who'd only read the books (LotR) once mind you, that the story was changed as needs arose, and that they were still WONDERFUL additions to Tolkien's world even if they weren't exactly word for word representations of the books.

He got all "puffed" up and blustery. Well, HE had read the LotR and should know. Then my husband stepped in and said, "She's read those books more times than years you've been alive. Something like 28 years. It's no use debating the point with her, she's obsessed with LotR and knows more about them than anyone I know. (He's not been on this site. I'm just a babe in the woods here.) She'll shut you down with any fact, so just don't go there." I laughed all the way to my seat in the theater. I admit it, I took SOME small perverse pleasure in winning that argument.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 05:39
And well you should, scots56! I occasionally come across a few young ones who ask, "You mean, there are books made from the films?" :rolleyes:

It reminds me of the comment, "I didn't know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings!"...

I really had to laugh the other day when I was at a motorcycle race my 22 year old nephew was in. We were talking about race tracks ~ it had been nearly 35 years since I had been to Sears Point Raceway, now called Infineon, where he was racing. It was long before they had the huge bleachers they have now.

I mentioned that I too loved doing crazy things like riding on the back of my boyfriend's Harley (my nephew was moderately impressed), parachuting (his eyes got wide) and racing at Laguna Seca. Then his jaw dropped!

"YOU raced at Laguna Seca???" He was in awe. He had no idea his Old Aunt actually had a life way back when... I admit it was one of the few times I bragged about my day at Laguna Seca and seeing his reaction, I really enjoyed it!
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 10:31
Go scots56! Well done at the ticket line! Also a bunch of us went to PoA June 1. I really liked it. The scenery was beautiful, although completely different. It was a little different not having the "three" wear their robes all the time too. Been awhile scince I read that book, so not able to comment much on the closeness to the book. Kind of thought the ending needed five more minutes of explaining, if you know what I mean? Concerning the encounter at the lake, that is. But I really liked it a lot!

Nenya, I would really like to join in an adventure, but am really uncertain if I've got the abilities. Also, would Lothlorien Took fit in anywhere, or would I be better off with a different character? Also still trying to get a computer at home. Very soon now, I think. What say ye Ranger? Wait awhile, or jump in with both furry feet? Either way, my feelers won't be crunched, so be honest.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 10:46
shireling ~ All that is needed for our adventure is a "stout heart, little Hobbit". And I shall not "worry about the length of" your arm, considering Merry was able to maim the Witch King well enough for Éowyn to do the :evil: in.

(Just so I'm not leading anyone on, this is just a silly discussion about *us* going on some imaginary adventure in Middle~Earth... I'm already in three RP's and find that three are plenty to keep me busy... But should one of them ever end, I'll let you know and maybe we "Elders" can get something going.) :love:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 11:39
I think an RP for us "elders" would be a lot of fun. Especially those of us--namely me--who have little to no experience in that type of adventure. I'd be willing to try. :feedback:
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 06:14
Yeah!! I'm all for joining the discussion and jumping into a RP later. Definitely count me in on the discussion! Anyway, I'm still working on the home computer thing. Now that I have a few pennies to spend, the sale prices have disappeared on what I was looking at. So I may have to hold off a little longer and wait for more sales.:cry: Oh, well, it will definitely happen this summer, "The good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise!" Thanks for the encouragement, Nenya! Gotta go! Nemaríe.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 10:45
I mentioned that I too loved doing crazy things like riding on the back of my boyfriend's Harley (my nephew was moderately impressed), parachuting (his eyes got wide) and racing at Laguna Seca. Then his jaw dropped!

Well! Here I thought we were just a bunch of old "granny's" sitting around waiting for retirement! Now I find out at least two of you are as 'crazy' as I am! I still HAVE a motorcycle. Okay, it is just a Honda Rebel 250cc, but boy do I love getting that thing out on the road and letting the wind blow in my face. (yes, I wear my helmet!) Right now, my son-in-law is using it to go back and forth to work. He's "keeping it up" for me while my knee heals!

That just gave me a funny thought! We can all get on our RANGER "suits" and mount up on motorcycles and ride the wild winds to our destination. Can't you just see the Elven gray clocks with the beautiful green elven brooch pinning the clock to us - blowing in the wind as we travel the road at the speed of Shadowfax? Our swords mounted along the front wheel support ready to be pulled out and whelded at the first sight of the enemy. We'll leave those flat footed, skrunched faced orc's lying in the dirt as we pass by. **Hey, Scots, you missed that last orc, go back and kill him dead!**

I wrote the above yesterday just before the storms moved across Peoria again. I saved it to a doc file and shut down the computer, very quickly. The lightening was poping all around us.

Today:
shireling ~ All that is needed for our adventure is a "stout heart, little Hobbit". And I shall not "worry about the length of" your arm, considering Merry was able to maim the Witch King well enough for Éowyn to do the :evil: in.

(Just so I'm not leading anyone on, this is just a silly discussion about *us* going on some imaginary adventure in Middle~Earth... I'm already in three RP's and find that three are plenty to keep me busy... But should one of them ever end, I'll let you know and maybe we "Elders" can get something going.) :love:

I'm with Scots and Shireling a RP would be very nice. I've never done it either. Maybe since NenyaGold is occupied in other RP's she could get us started and we could go from there and when she is available she can come back to us to 'play'? And we will just muddle through.
:feedback:

We can plan to travel through Old Tom's forest and he could maybe put us up over night and give us a good meal and Goldberry would sing for us! I'd love to see Old Tom's garden! We would have to ask him to meet us at the edge of the forest to keep us away from the anger of the old willow tree.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 11:22
Lothien!!! I'm sitting here laughing hysterically!!! Image Image Image

Yes, I see us just as you have described! The looks we'd get! Hahahahahahaha! "Kill them! Kill them dead!!!"

I'd be happy to get us going on an RP. What I will do first is create an OoC, Out of Character Discussion, where we can plan what we will be doing, such as, will we stay true to Tolkien's writings and so remain in Totally Tolkien, will we deviate just a little and be in Tolkien Related, or will we ride our motorcycles and be in Non-Tolkien.

First, I will suggest anyone wanting to join go and read the rules in all three forums of the RPG forum. In the meantime, I'll start an OoC Discussion, called Fans Over Forty's RPG OoC so that it is specific in the title of who would want to join. Once you have read the rules, you might want to go read a thread or two to see how things work.

One I'll suggest is my newest called "Finding Maethor ~ A Handsome Ransom", just because it is new and in my opinion interesting. We are writing most of it in "Live RP" where we get together on MSN and "become" our characters and write our posts right there. If you wish we can get into some of that too because in my opinion I think it is one of the most awesome ways to write!

Once we've decided which forum we will have the thread in, then you can all make appropriate characters and put them in the RPG Characters Database. Here is a link to my characters for your reference.

This sounds like a lot of fun and I look forward to writing with all of you!!! :love:

EDITED FOR:

Here is the link to Fans Over Forty RPG ~ OoC Discussion.

"Go on, get you to the thread!"

[Edited on 6/11/2004 by NenyaGold]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 06:11
It’s just as well that Old Tom is not accompanying you ladies on your adventures. I don’t think Fatty Lumpkin would ever be able keep up with you all on your motorcycles.

Hearing about the young ticket-taker who wasn’t as familiar with the LOTR as he thought reminds me the two young nerdlings ahead in line of my wife and I at the Medieval Times in Toronto for the masquerade ball during The Gathering of the Fellowship last December. They were scoffing at the tall gentleman dressed as Gandalf the Grey because his hat was blue. They became rather quiet when I informed them that in the books Gandalf’s hat is blue. Actually, it is in the movie, too. It’s just that it’s so faded it is difficult to tell.

Something I learned relatively recently, and perhaps this is old news to all of you, but Gandalf the Grey’s appearance in Peter Jackson’s films is very closely modeled after John Howe’s “Gandalf, One of the Istari”. I understand the most difficult part of creating the look was the hat. (I just love this painting, by the way. I have the image as the wallpaper on my PC at work. At home I have “Faramir” by the Brothers Hildebrandt as my wallpaper. )
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 11:00
An over Forties RP. Wow, awesome!

Wrinklies on motorsickles. Scary thought. :evil:

I think, being an old Rocker (UK name for a biker), I would have to dust off my old silver Norton Dominator (the greatest British bike ever) and go with that idea. Marlon Brando, move over, 'The Grayngers' are coming.

But loving RPing, I'll go with anything. :love:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 07:11
Old_Tom - thanks for the link to your wallpapers. I do like the painting of Gandalf. Always have. I can't remember where I have seen it before, but it is familiar to me. I can remember my early days as an LOTR fan. I didn't care much for some of the art work that had and was being produced. It seemed that others vision of ME did not match mine. As time has pasted, I have come to love some of those older 'visions.' The J. Howe image you linked us to is more dear now than it ever was before. Even when thinking Ian McKellon's Gandalf was a perfect portrayal. So Thank you. The Faramir image is very nice also. The first thing I thought of was Eorl Flynn. Reminds me of Mr. Flynn's portrayal of Robin Hood. What a lovely walk down memory lane you have given me this morning. :blush:

Rosearialelven - I just imagined a very prim and proper English woman on the back of a Norton. What an image. Thankfully, it is nice to know that there are old Rockers over there.
Wrinklies on motorsickles. Scary thought.

I think it would be best to keep the motorsickles out of ME. Although they could be nice to chase after Uruk-hai for an old lady with bad knees. But in the RP I will have perfect knees and won't have to worry about that - will I.

I have pulled David Day's Guide to Tolkien's World off the shelf this morning. I got it several months back and have been so obsessed with reading LOTR again, and again, along with my reading of the SIL that it has been left idle. I am finding a wealth of information in it and having a bit of fun exploring possible personalities for the RP. I'm hoping lots of you will join those of us who have alread committed to the Rangers of the FoF. (not official title, yet.)

Thinking cap is on!

Navaer a cuio vae! (Farewell and live well!)
Lothien_Vilya
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 03:30
Wrinklies on motorsickles. Scary thought.

I've been on a motorcycle a grand total of 2 times in my life...both in high school. Scared the willies out of me. So I won't be going that route. Such a wimp am I! Although I did used to work corners in race car races. We were the crazies in white that stood on the corners during the races and ran out there and cleaned up messes when there were accidents. I've seen a few spectacular ones. Formula Ford drivers are a crazy lot as are the Mini Cooper drivers. It was exciting. I remember one time I was waving the yellow flag (for caution because of a wreck) on top of the tire bunker. Then another car came whizzing around the corner and hit the mess that was in the middle of the road, which then ALL of them came sliding off the track and hit the bunker that I was standing on. I almost fell off into the mess at my feet. Good times.

During one race a sudden thunderstorm came up as they are likely to do on the front range of the Rockies. The spousal unit was on another corner. I was on the headphones during the race as communicator. There was a bolt of lightning and someone on another corner had gotten hit by lightning. Nothing serious, but it had knocked him 20 feet or so. We get back to the pits after the day...come to find out it was my husband that had been hit. He was just fine, just a little wired. I always tease him that that's the reason he's bald.:evil:
That's about as exciting as my life has gotten.

Old Tom: Loved your pictures of both Gandalf and Faramir! I have always loved the brothers Hildebrandt. I remember their LotR calendars from the 70s. I wish they did them still. I don't know if they do. If they do, I've missed out on them. More lovely desktop themes for me. I've downloaded about everyone thats on lordoftherings.net. I change them about every other day along with my England/Scotland pictures. Why you ask??? Because I can!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 08:37
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

I’m very happy to have rekindled some fond memories, Lady Lothien. I've only recently become familiar with the works of some of the more prominent Tolkien artists like Alan Lee, John Howe, and Ted Nasmith. Of the three I am most fond of the works of Mr. Howe.

I recently purchased a book, Myth and Magic, featuring Howe's works. As you may already know, in addition to set design (Bag End) and so on, Howe also designed the weapons used in the films. He is a historical recreationist, so he's personally familiar with the use of arms and armor. This experience aids him in creating very realistic weapons (and paintings). Among my collection of Tolkien-related items is a limited edition version of Andúril that came with a certificate signed by John Howe.

I, too, am a fan of the works of the Brothers Hildebrandt, Scots. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I owned their calendars back in the 1970s. They released a calendar this year reprising some of the paintings from that era; I have that hanging in my cubicle at work.

I’ve purchased a few things from their website including a book, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt: The Tolkien Years, which features some their works and includes wonderful commentary from Greg’s son, a signed copy of their delightful Lord of the Rings: A Pocket Companion, and more recently, a signed 20 x 32 print of The Wedding of the King which will be hanging in my bedroom once I’ve had the print framed.

Before all is said and done my wife and I will very likely have a few more Hildebrandt prints hanging in our home. Candidates include Ring of the Elf Queen (bedroom), The Unexpected Party (living room over the mantle), and Gift of Galadriel, Faramir, or Tom Bombadil (home office).

[Edited on 6/13/2004 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 08:27
Candidates include Ring of the Elf Queen (bedroom), The Unexpected Party (living room over the mantle), and Gift of Galadriel, Faramir, or Tom Bombadil (home office).

I would like to thank Old Tom for the pics. I followed the link and found all kinds of pics for my collection. These pics are good.

How about joining us in the RP, Old Tom? I think from all your emails you would be a great player. We could use a man in the game.

<< First1213141516Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email