Register

<< First1314151617
Author Topic:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: June 27, 2004 06:08
Aiya Since69 ~ So glad you made your way over here. Don't feel bad about being over 50 (Ohhh... The secret is out!!! ) because I think most of us in this thread ARE over 50, although there are a few whippersnappers who have not yet made the leap.

Hmmm... Gushing about Orlando... Fair warning, a lot of us gush about Viggo :heart: and Sean (Bean)! :heart:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 06:55
I haven't posted on this thread` in a while, so I thought i'd stop by nbd say hi.
I sometimes feel that to too many young people it seems that [over 40] = [over the hill]. One day they'll learn the truth.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 07:39
On the worm thing. I'm getting a mental picture here of Gollum/Smeagol putting the worm on the hook.
"Famished, yes we are, precious" *slurrrrrrrrrp*

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

Welcome, atreides1 and Since69, to the Old Fogies Forum! :wave:

There's no need for concern about litte girls gushing over Orlando Bloom here. All the ladies here are mature, experienced gushers...

Paul McCartney! *gasp*
Keith Partridge! *scream*
Donny Osmond! *swoon*

Welcome, too, to HairybellyPotfoot. It's an a honor to have such a distinguished visitor. Eh, what's that? Oh, I mean PotbellyHairyfoot. I do beg your pardon, sir. *bow*

I can't wait till our RPG gets back to the shire area and we head for old Tom's place in the Old Forest. We will drag him into this story 'kicking and screaming' for all his jokes.
Kicking and screaming, eh? We shall see who's kicking and screaming when they meet Old Man Willow. :naughty:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 08:59
Welcome, Since69! We're glad to have you onboard. Or overboard where LotR is concerned.

And yes, us "oldsters" do appreciate a fine form now and again. Just because we're of a 'certain' age, doesn't mean we're dead! :naughty:

Old Tom: We look forward to seeing you and we'll be well aware of Old Man Willow. Hopefully you'll be there to help us all out.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 10:35
Welcome, Since69.
I myself was a graduate (HS) class of 69. I have been asked to remove a number from that 69 off my letter sweater. I refused. Some people need to get over themselves! LOL

There's no need for concern about litte girls gushing over Orlando Bloom here. All the ladies here are mature, experienced gushers...

Paul McCartney! *gasp*
Keith Partridge! *scream*
Donny Osmond! *swoon*

You forgot Charleston Heston, Humfrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Sean Connery, and a whole lot of others. Myself, I go for Connery as the Medicine Man.:heart:

Kicking and screaming, eh? We shall see who's kicking and screaming when they meet Old Man Willow. :naughty:

Not to worry Old Tom. We shall have an elf with us who grew up in Mirkwood and I am sure she will be able to deal with Old Man Willow. If not, I have a small latern full of oil - :angry:

And a heartly hello, to a long lost poster boy - PotbellyHairyfoot. Welcome back, friend.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 11:21
Welcome Since69 and atreides1 and hello again to Potbelly Hairyfoot. We have a good time here.

Old Tom... I hope I'm not showing my age here but Keith Partridge was played by David Cassidy. Now he was swoonable. So was Bobby Sherman, you left him off the list. As for Donny Osmond, he is just 3 months and 18 days older than me.

See I had these all figured out. I was even ready to set sail and marry Prince Charles when I was twelve. He was a young fellow of about 20 then.

Brandywine

Viggo is my age, Yahoo!
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 08:14
Hi everyone!
I wrote a "parody" on a Simon and Garfunkel song, but almost no one seems to know the original tune, without which the song is nothing. My mother suggested posting a link here, where some might recognize it.
I'd really like to know what you think.

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Journal&file=index&jop=browse&mode=view&id=32883

Thanks
Nan
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 08:38
...And when you ran to me your cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand...

Old Tom is a great fan of the harmonizing of Messrs. Simon et Garfunkel.

Mr. Garfunkel sings the beautiful, "For Emily", in his sweet falsetto; an excellent choice of tune for an Elven song, and the words you have set to it are very nice.

Thank you for sharing it with us, Nan.

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobble stones
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy...
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 02:42
I wrote a "parody" on a Simon and Garfunkel song, but almost no one seems to know the original tune, without which the song is nothing. My mother suggested posting a link here, where some might recognize it.
I'd really like to know what you think.

:hug: It's beautiful, Nan! I so envy those who can come up with such beautiful and haunting words in poetry. That is a skill which eludes me to this day. *sigh* But I will still get great enjoyment out of what others write.

I remember almost getting sick of Bridge over Troubled Waters in school. In a writing class we went over, and over, and over, and over it again dissecting it for its meanings and symbolism when it was released. I write 'almost' though, because I never did get totally tired of it. I have always loved Simon and Garfunkel and was sad when they broke up. :cry:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 04:59
Nan ~ That is one of my all-time favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs and while reading the words I got chills!!! It haunted me then and your words haunt me now! They fit so well with the music and with LotR. Wow! Thank you for sharing it with us!

What a dream I had:
Pressed in organdy;
Clothed in crinoline of smoky Burgundy;
Softer than the rain.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 05:03
That was beautiful Nan. I can't recall the song, but I shall remedy that when I get home. I am at work in the UK at present.

Your words were light and airy, but poignant. :love:

And Tom, I can't help but look at your Avie and think that's you. I reckon you are just a great big tease. :naughty:

I was a bit old for David Cassidy and Donny Osmond. I was more Bobby Darin. *Falls flat on her back at the mere memory*. Couldn't abide Paul McCartney, I was a John Lennon Girl. Sean Connery goes without saying. That man just curls my toes. The list could go on and on. And I must emphasise, my dear Tom, that you are *never* too old to appreciate looks and a body. :naughty:
atreides1
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 08:04
Thanks for the welcome everyone, I can deal with grown women gushing over Sean Connery, Bobby Darin, Donny Osmond, and David Cassidy.

As long as they don't mind my appreciation of Raquel Welch, Meg Ryan, Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver, Gena Davis, and others to be named at a later date.

That's appreciation, not gushing
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 08:55
I think that's a fine list, atreides1. My husband would agree quite readily!

Well, of the musicians of the '60's, here is my *short* list...:

(The * means I've seen them in person...)

George Harrison
Brian Jones (Rolling Stones)*
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix*
Jim Morrison (OMG - one of the most drewlable!!!)*
Pete Townsend (The Who and an absolute Genius)*
Keith Moon (The Who and oh so cute!)*
Justin Hayward (Lead singer of the Moody Blues)*
Dave Davies (The Kinks)*
Steve Winwood (Small Faces and Traffic)
Phil Volk (bass for Paul Revere and the Raiders)*
Eric Burdon (The Animals)*

Sad that five are no longer alive...

My next list will be movie stars. That might not be a very short list... Fair warning!
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 10:01
I wanted to thank all who read my song. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Scots56
I so envy those who can come up with such beautiful and haunting words in poetry. That is a skill which eludes me to this day. *sigh* But I will still get great enjoyment out of what others write.

That is something I would have said about myself. This is the first time I have written anything like this.
You never know what you have in you and it is never too late to find out.

All the best
Nan

[Edited on 28/6/2004 by Nan]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 03:05
And Tom, I can't help but look at your Avie and think that's you. I reckon you are just a great big tease.

Me a tease?

And, yes, I do bare a striking resemblance to Old Tom. I'm short, stocky, have blue eyes, long hair and a beard. I only pull my bright blue jacket, yellow boots, and feathered hat out of the closet for special occasions, though.
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 01:25
I have met a deeply troubled girl over the Net (NO, I am NOT a stalker), and long story short I want to do something about the hell her life is. I'm a 55-year-old self-employed empty-nester, settled in my little world, not discontent with many things. Am I oiut of my cotton'pickin' mind to want to take on this girl? Note:' she is woven into my heart so deep that a transplant could not get her out. Tell me I'm insane or tell me that I deserve a medal, but what do you think? If it helps, I do have the time and resources to do this.

Lingua: I do not want to sound like I am preaching. I know you have already thought of all the things that can go wrong and or right. You sound like a wonderful person and I in know way want to crush your faith or your Christian belief about helping your fellow man. But Remember God also wants you to protect ourselves so you can go on helping others. So with that said let me introduce myself to you. I am a Masters level Social Worker and helping people is my life. I was also raised a Christian and although I choose not to practice Christianity at this time I understand where you are coming from. So here me when I say, Please, Please, Please do not engage this person personally until you have checked her out and or your god has spoken to you. What you can do for her is contact help agents in her area; hot lines, crisis centers, human resource, mental health, clergy, and even police and give them her location and a brief synopsis of her problem. There are professionals out there who would be willing to help her and if she is on the level maybe even unite her with you.
I have witnessed a lot in my career and seeing someone such as yourself being taken advantage of is the worse. Believe me I am not trying to slight your desire to help someone, your compassion and love, or your Christian need within your heart to want to know that this person is not going to harm themselves or others in their crisis. I just want you to protect yourself.
Sorry for the length, I am very passionate about this subject.

Remember this, not saying this will ever come up, someone who is going to commit suicide is going to do it with or without your intervention and Someone who is in the throws of depression is not going to commit suicide it is when they are on their way up that becomes the danger.

Lingua I commend you for you bravery and the love within in your heart but…safety first please.

Peace

Wow I got so carried away I forgot to say Hi to everyone :disco: I've been on vacation at my brothers in Florida. Took in some surfing and general "beach bum" kind of stuff. Had a great time, needed more. I will come back this evening and write more...gota run or I'm gona be late for court.

May the grace of the Valar be with us all..

[Edited on 29/6/2004 by TopazDragon]

[Edited on 29/6/2004 by TopazDragon]
Since69
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 05:24
Thanks to all who have welcomed me to this outpost of 'older' folk. When I was a kid, over 50 was, well, almost elderly. Now we have 63 year olds piloting the first private ownership flight into space. And I don't mean to cast any negative aspersions over those who gush over Orlando Bloom, no matter what their age (or even gender). As it is, he is one of several cast members who, I think, did a good job in the movie, whatever my objections to their characterizations. So don't get me wrong here. For your entertainment, let me relate one of the ways I first enjoyed LOTR. I had started reading the trilogy in college. I was a communications major and got the books from a friend. I had a number of friends who were drama majors. When I was about mid-way through TTT some of those friends started a reading group. We would gather, enjoy a certain types of refreshments and, starting with FOTR, would sit in a group and read from the books aloud. Nothing formal, each person would read a few pages, then pass the book to the next person. We would take all the parts. When we got tired we would quit and pick it up again where we left off wheneve we met next. We blew most of a quarter in the activity. It was both an exercise and a pleasure. I would usually race home after the reading and continue with my private read, staying ahead of the group. It was a great experience and gave me different perspectives on different parts of the books, depending on the skill of the reader.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 06:02
Aiya, Nan. I, too, enjoyed your song. I can't get the tune to Emily to come into my head. So, I have to got search through my Simon and Garfunkel cd's to see if I have it. Then will read your word along with it. Thanks for it.

Topaz - I am really glad you have 'chimmed' in on the subjet to Lingua. And it is nice to have you back with us.

Company just came. cya later
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 01:23
Since69:

We would gather, enjoy a certain types of refreshments and, starting with FOTR, would sit in a group and read from the books aloud.

I love that, "certain types of refreshments". :cheers: Boy does that bring back college memories of LotR and Dungeons and Dragons marathons in the dorm rooms.

I too, wasn't a theater major, but I hung around a lot of them and was involved in the department. When I was a senior we did The Hobbit. This was the first play I had the nerve to try out for because I loved the books so much. We called ourselves "Hobbit freaks". I got in! Yippee Skippee! I was a Dwarf. Nori to be exact, right down to gluing on a beard for 3 performances one Saturday. Ouch! But that experience was one of the best college memories that I have.

[Edited on 29/6/2004 by scots56]
Since69
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 06:27
I never got into Dungeons and Dragons. But the group reading was great. Different interpretations, which would inevitably lead to talks about the different characters and their motiviations. And to a lot of speculation about the true nature of pipeweed. I mean, would tobacco really grow in The Shire? Hmmm. But then again, was JRR really the type who would indulge in the Herb and be able to pursue his scholarly passions? Double hmmm. We regrettably concluded that we were deluding ourselves about pipeweed and were only doing some wishful thinking. At a point in my life a number of years ago I found all it did was put me to sleep so it's something I've left behind. Anyway, never did a stage version of The Hobbit either, closest I ever came to playing a dwarf was the Danny DeVito role from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, a stage version we did in college. Wait, Danny DeVito as Gollum, triple hmmm!
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 03:04
It is really great to be back from vacation although I would have gladly estended it for another week.

Let me first say Welcome, to Atrides1, Since69, and thanks for dropping in PotbellyHairyfoot.

Atrides1 - Appreciate all you like here, you can even gush if you like. We don’t mind as long as you bring your own mop and bucket to clean the floor.

Personally I have always found Viggo to be totally irresistible but Sean Connery can put his shoes under my bed anytime. :naughty:
No, no, my silly friends. Old Tom isn't going to be on TV anymore than he was truly going to eat worms. That was just a joke, and the bit about "Fear Factor" was merely the punch line.

Old Tom...You tease..you really had me all excited....thought I might get to see your manly physique Image eating worms or something else really disgusting. Image

Nan: Ah yes, “For Emily, Whenever I may find her” - Simon & Garfunkel - written by Paul Simon and first appeared on the 1966 Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme album

And when you ran to me your
Cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields
Of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand

Original composition was for a 12 string guitar with a 3rd fret Capo, You can hear a snippet of the song here It is truly one of their more stunning ballads.

I wanted to ask, how is everyone doing this summer?
Having a good time?
It's been very wet and pleasantly cool here in northern Alabama. Nothing I am complaining about, believe me.
I recently began reading another book, Naked Empire, by Terry Goodkind. He is an excellent writer, in my opinion, he somewhat reminds me, of Tolkien because he always includes these detailed maps to let you know where the characters are going. Anyway, Naked Empire is about the 8th book in the Sword of Truth series and I have enjoyed them all.

Talk with you later
May the grace of the Valar go with us all

Peace

atreides1
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 06:01
Thanks TopazDragon, but I prefer to appreciate. Beauty comes from within and and what's on the surface only adds to
it.

simba
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 09:52
Just a few lines to say hi to all of you (it's a rather long time I do not connect) and wish to everybody the best possible summer vacations.
I'm just leaving (tomorrow night) for a two weeks camper tour from Italy to Denmark
I've never been in Northern Europe (except England of course). Shall tell you my impressions when I'm back.
Do you have any suggestion for any particular place to see?
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 07:17
Hey everyone, how are all of you. Summer is going well here in Idaho. I haven't read the posts in so many days. I have been busy trying to get some things done.
Idaho has had weird weather this summer. It's only just now July and the weather has been warm already with afternoon t-storms that put on quite the display. Always leaves the air fresh and clean though and that's awesome.

Summer school starts in 2 weeks for me. I will be teaching little people more about how to read and do math. That's the focus for summer school...reading and math.

I am so proud of myself, I painted my bedroom yellow and the trim is plum. Never thought I'd use such bold colors. Always been kind of an off-white girl. Could this mean I'm getting a little "chancey" in my old age?

Would like to recommend Mt. Rushmore as a vacation site. Also did you know that you can park your camper at any Walmart overnight? They don't care. Also truck stops will allow peopel to shower for around $10.00. Ports of Entry are also good camping spots if you're just needing a place to stop and rest. Interesting what you learn when your on a road trip in the USA.

Have a great day everyone. Tomorrow is the 4th of July. God Bless America and every other country and government in the world as well. We all could use His approbation.
Brandywine :angel:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2004 08:14
Yellow and plum: my, those are merry colors! I'm sure it looks lovely, Lady Brandywine.

Old Tom and the River-daughter spent yesterday painting their own bedroom, and will likely do a few touch-ups this afternoon. I like to think of the color as "the pale-blue eyes of forget-me-nots" but the paint store calls it Northern Sky.

The color is light blue with just a hint of purple, reminiscent of lavender but not quite so much purple. We left the ceiling, doors, and window sill white. It's beautiful! We have not yet purchased curtains, but I'd like to find some that are dark blue.

I purchased a print a few months ago for our bedroom. Now that we've painted the room I can have it framed. What is it? Well, Old Tom being such a fan of the Brothers Hildebrandt selected The Wedding of the King for his bedroom. Happily, the River-daughter approved.

That print reminds me a bit of my own wedding...

Old Tom Bombadil had a merry wedding,
crowned all with buttercups, hat and feather shedding;
his bride with forget-me-nots and flag-lilies for garland
was robed all in silver-green. He sang like a starling,
hummed like a honey-bee, lilted to the fiddle,
clasping his river-maid round her slender middle.

...only without the Badger-folk dancing in the moonlight, Old Man Willow tapping at my window pane, the River-woman sighing, and Barrow Wight crying.

Why do you suppose King Elessar and Queen Arwen didn't invite the Badger-folk to their wedding?

Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2004 09:08
Old Tom - the bedroom colors sound wonderful. The 'print' of the Kings wedding is very lovely. I am stuck by the imaginative differences between the past and the future. I see so much of the old Eorl Flynn movie costumes in the picture and I think of what we have been given in the new ones the Peter Jackson designer's created for the movies. Yester-years and today. In your picture Elessar has no beard, and I do so like the short beard of Viggo M.

It reminds me of how times have changed and creative thinking has moved forward.

Now, I need to ask - Who are Badger-folks? I don't remember reading about them.

A Blessed day to all.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2004 09:14
I am so proud of myself, I painted my bedroom yellow and the trim is plum. Never thought I'd use such bold colors. Always been kind of an off-white girl. Could this mean I'm getting a little "chancey" in my old age?

Old Tom and the River-daughter spent yesterday painting their own bedroom, and will likely do a few touch-ups this afternoon. I like to think of the color as "the pale-blue eyes of forget-me-nots" but the paint store calls it Northern Sky.

My, my, painting seems to be all the rage in home improvement this summer. We did painting at our house too. Living room, dining room, upstairs guestroom. I personally love dark bold colors. My living room is now called 'caraway'. I think it looks like the green that Legolas wears personally. The dining room is called 'pollen grain' ~ a lovely goldy yellow color. We had left over paint so the upstairs guest room is now that sunny color. Now all I have left is: den, master bedroom, kitchen/dinette, office, stairway/upstairs hallway, upstairs bathroom, Star Wars room. Lord, it may never get done. :dizzy:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2004 11:08
Now, I need to ask - Who are Badger-folks? I don't remember reading about them.
You don't know about the Badger-folk? Well, Old Tom will have to rectify that!

Old Tom has quite an affinity for the cantankerous mustilids. In The Fellowship of the Ring, "In the House of Tom Bombadil", it mentions Tom "telling an absurd story about badgers and their queer ways".

In “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil” Tom has an encounter with Badger-brock, the patriarch of a badger clan:

Then Tom hurried on. Rain began to shiver,
round rings spattering in the running river;
a wind blew, shaken leaves chilly drops were dripping;
into a sheltering hole Old Tom went skipping.

Out came Badger-brock with his snowy forehead
and his dark blinking eyes. In the hill he quarried
with his wife and many sons. By the coat they caught him,
pulled him inside their earth, down their tunnels brought him.

Inside their secret house, there they sat a-mumbling:
"Ho, Tom Bombadil! Where have you come tumbling,
bursting in the front door? Badger-folk have caught you.
You'll never find it out, the way that we have brought you!"

"Now, old Badger-brock, do you hear me talking?
You show me out at once! I must be a-walking.
Show me to your backdoor under briar roses;
then clean grimey paws, wipe your earthly noses!
Go back to sleep again on your straw pillow,
like fair Goldberry and Old Man Willow!"

Then all the Badger-folk said: "We beg your pardon!"
They showed Tom out again to their thorny garden,
went back and hid themselves, a-shivering and a-shaking,
bloked up all their doors, earth together raking.

The badger-folk are again mentioned in the penultimate stanza, the one I alluded to in my previous post:

Lamps gleamed within his house, and white was the bedding;
in the bright honey-moon Badger-folk came treading,
danced down under Hill, and Old Man Willow
tapped, tapped at window-pane, as they slept on the pillow,
on the bank in the reeds River-woman sighing
heard Barrow-wight in his mound crying.

Finally, badgers are also mentioned in “Tom Bombadil Goes Boating” when Tom has a meeting with some less-than-friendly hobbit folk who fear that Tom has rowed down the Withywindle for the purpose of drinking all their beer. Tom responds to their threats with one of his own typically idle threats:

"...I've seen hobbit-folk digging holes to hide 'em,
frightened if a horny goat or a badger eyed 'em,
afeared of the moony-beams, their own shadows shunning.
I'll call the orks on you: that'll send you running!"

Lothien_Vilya, it seems to me like you're overdue for a reading of "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil".

That does seem like quite a bit of painting, Scots. The River-daughter and I bought our house a year ago, and without a lot of money or furniture, decided to decorate one room a year.

The outside of the house seems to have been painted fairly recently, as do the living room and kitchen/dining room/living room area. However, the three bedrooms and two bathroom were just plain white so we decided to paint them.

Last year Tom decorated his den to resemble a forest. The walls have a lovely green leaf pattern, as do the draperies. The ceiling and doors are painted in shades of green as well. The River-daughter painted the hallway bath a seagreen. It has a seashore theme.

As mentioned before, we're painting our master bedroom this weekend, and next weekend I plan to paint the master bathroom a sage green. I have some very nice dark gold/ brass-colored towel bars and toilet paper holder with a leaf motif I'll be adding, too. I'd like to replace the light fixture, too, but think I'll need some help with that.

Speaking of painting, we're gonna start working on the touch-ups pretty soon so I better go. See ya!

[Edited on 7/5/2004 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2004 09:27
:love: Scots56 and Tom, The colors you have used sound wonderful. I have plans for the bathroom off of the master bedroom to be done in celestial. I already have accessories but am unsure what to do with the walls and celing. The room is large, as bathrooms go, with a sunken tub, but no outside lighting or window at all. I like the stars, moom and sun motig. The towels all have gold embroidered suns and moons. The artwork is suns and moons also and all of the backgrounds on the accessories is dark blue. Any ideas? :feedback:

Yes summer is project time, for me it is also reading time. Had to read HP III before the movie came out but had to read I and II before that. Just spent the last two weeks on HP IV and HPV which I just finished tonight. Next is Angus, bangs and Full Frontal Snogging. It's a juvenile lit book I bought for the school library. Sounds corny but I'm previewing it before the general school populace gets hold of it.

By the way can anyon tell me what "blog" or "Blog spot" means. I've figured out snogging--it means kissing. All of these Brit phrases get me confused, Love them, though.

If I could I'd have dual citizenship in the USA and GB. I love both countries. My future car will be a mini-cooper that has a license plate that says BORN BRIT. You get 8 spaces. It's such a cute car. I want the drivers side on the wrong side. I love to be different. It's great. Right now though I am going to bed. Please excuse any typing errors to tiredness.
Love and hugs to all my friends. :hug: :hug:
Brandywine
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 02:33
My future car will be a mini-cooper that has a license plate that says BORN BRIT. You get 8 spaces. It's such a cute car. I want the drivers side on the wrong side.

Ironically, when I was in London, we saw more Smart Cars than mini-coopers. I WANT a mini! We have quite a few of them here in Lincoln. They are soooo cute. But as for driver's side on the right....NO WAY!!! I was so disoriented while driving in Scotland. I'll not do that again any time soon.

My ideal license plate ~ FRDOLVS ~ Haven't talked the spousal unit into that one though. *sigh* He just doesn't UNDERSTAND!!!! :cry:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 03:41
Scots56: took me a minute but I finally got FRDOLVS.

Anybody else out there have a cute liscense plate idea or seen one that was just oof un?

I liked the one I saw on the brand new Lincoln driven by an elderly lady in Lewiston, Idaho that said XQZME. Then there's this one that took me awhile to figure out WRZDSNO.

I wanted to make it Wizards Know but I knew the guy that owned the truck had no clue about wizards. I knew the guy pretty well.

Finally I remembered what was usually hitched to the back of the pickup, turned my letters around to see them correctly and got...

Brandywine
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 09:55
Hi y'all. Haven't posted in here since page 7 or so. I t has been over 20 years since I lived in England so I'm not much help with the "blog" bit I'm afraid. As for minis, the one I had long years ago was ok but not much for quick take-off to jump into a roundabout. Still, it was easy on petrol and easy to park. The new ones look so different it's hard to compare them to my old clunker.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 10:05
Celebrian:
Oooh, page 7! It has been awhile for you then! Welcome back to the fold!

I'm so glad that we only have 2 roundabouts in my town. When we were over in England, those were the worst part of driving. It just confused us to no end. *shudders* Of course, we only drove in Scotland for 2.5 days, so we didn't have a real chance to get to know the rules of the road. *shudders again at the memory*
Namárië
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2004 04:08
I know what you mean about the English Roundabouts. I paniced when I came up to the first one, panicked for about 3 days. Then I sort of got used to them. After 8 days of driving in England it only gave me *little shudders* unless I took the wrong way and then I was just *peeved*.

I saw a mini yesterday in our home town. My daughter was driving the car we were in and the lady was in the oppsite lane. My daughter goes "Hey Mom, a Mini." Then she said "Oh she looks terrible in that car, you'd look much better mom."
That's a compliment I shall never forget *tear*.
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 08, 2004 09:29
Hiya folks! *waves* Hello peeps I haven't met so far. Sorry I've been out of it for a while, intend to make up for it by checking out the RP and maybe joining in. Now I'm relieved of my Realm Leader duties I've got a bit more time to browse elsewhere.
Not much time now, but let me put you out of your misery. A "Blog" is apparently short for weBLog ie an on-line journal. Even as genuine Brit I can't help you with too much slang but that one I know! NB There may also be other meanings, UK colloquial English is like that....
<< First1314151617
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email