Mae govannen Old Tom! :wave:

And a very happy birthday to Jessamyn!
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty
on: May 18, 2004 01:16
Aiya Tom! I'm so glad you found us!

:blush: And just so you know, I am a far cry from a Lady! But I DO appreciate the compliment! :love:

Yes! I have that very poster of Pauline Baynes' and took I these photos of it that were accepted in our very own Gallery last year. If for some reason the link isn't working on your computer, click on Gallery near the top of the page, then Illustrations, then Baynes. It is the map I use to reference mileage in Middle~Earth when writing my RP's. I LOVE that map!!! :heart:

I did a quick search on Gandalf, hoping to find the poster you describe of all the Dwarves tumbling into Bilbo's house. I so remember that scene from the book! But I didn't find anything... You might want to do a search of your own one day when you have the time. With over 12,000 images in the Gallery, it is sometimes difficult to find exactly what you want.

I hope you enjoy the site!
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 05:45
Welcome Ol' Tom!

Grand to Have a HO HO HO and a dilly dilly dum!

Lothien_Vilya
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 12:45
Wow! I can't believe all the new people and "stuff" here since I last looked! Happy B-Day jessamyn!

Well met, and welcome to all the newbies, young and "old", and to Tom B.! This site just gets more and more interesting! You all have so much to contribute and that makes it such a great site.

Goldie! Holy cow, you really are creative! Loved the outfit, but even more the way you put it all together! You are fantastic, friend!

Brandwine, good luck to you and your very beautiful daughter, Jillian. You are both awesome!:heart::heart:

Well, got to go, but hope to be back soon.

Sérë, Shireling

Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 06:50
Shame on me, I haven't been in here to see what is going on!

Happy belated birthday to Jessamyn!

Suilad Ol' Tom! and Shireling!

Don't worry Ol' Tom I think I am the oldest of the bunch!!!
tarkena
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 01:08
Happy late b'day to Jessamyn. Welcome to Ol' Tom, nice to see you. I will take your advice,Lothien_Vilya. I don't want to not use it for the rest of my life.
tarkena
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 06:18
I have the cutest picture for all you feline lovers! Computer Cat

This particular cat looks like my Angel from many years ago. I just thought I wouild share her cause the picture brought back memories of my friend and companion that we all miss.

Meowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 02:22
Hi everybody :wave:
I’m a newbie here and I belong to the 30-something group ! Thanks to Nenya-Gold for introducing me to this thread.

RangerNorlin has asked how it has shaped and changed our life over the years, so I’ll try to answer.

A friend of mine lent me LOTR (the French translation) about 20 years ago. I was quite enthralled but very sad when I had finished it ! I took many notes, copied the songs and so on. I composed music for Galadriel’s farewell, it came just naturally to my mind when reading the Quenya words ! I wanted to make a computer game with my poor computer skills (and the hardware of that period). I began to make drawings and a very simple Basic-program. Some time later, I had a new software and made better drawings. The pleasure was more to create a ME-universe than really playing the game ! lol !

During that time, I had bought the English version and really enjoyed it and then the Hobbit. I began Unfinished Tales (in French) but understood nothing of it. So I read the Sil (in English). It was a bit hard at the beginning. My English was poorer than today and it is not very easy as many have said. But I managed to read it through the end. And after that, Unfinished Tales was great ! I was so moved by Tuor arriving at the sea or by Hurin and his elf-friend Beleg ! I was so deeply involved that I saw elvish pictures in my head during a whole chamber music concert. I tried some of HOME but it was a bit too difficult. I also read Carpenter’s biography and The Letters.

Then I tried other fantasy writers (Weis-Hickman, Jordan, Feist) and it was a relative Tolkien-calm period which ended with the movies.
I am no fan of the movies. I admire the great job of Weta Workshop and the beautiful landscapes but I don’t appreciate the script. And I didn’t really enjoyed any of the short versions, ROTK least of all.

It rekindled my interest in the Professor and his work. I re-read the books (many times). Some have said that the Sil was like good wine, getting better with time. It’s quite true ! I really enjoy it now and re-read Lost Tales with pleasure !
And I began Tolkien activities over again. I found interesting sites and forum on the Web. I put music on the Elbereth song when returning from a concert of medieval music. I took on my computer game again with new drawings. Many have said that they have introduced their children to Tolkien’s world. For me, it was the other way round : I introduced my mother ! She loves computer drawing. So she began making drawings for my game. And now she reads LOTR and becomes very purist ! lol ! The drawings are never finished !
Arvedui asked whether we 'see' the characters in the book as they appeared in the movie. The answer is no, for most of them, I kept my vision. And when it changes, it is because of our drawings and not of the movies.

So, a big part of my life…
hope this post was not too long and boring ! :yawn:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 08:30
Welcome - Meowyn. You do have quite a history with Tolkien. I'd love to hear the music and see your drawings. Have you posted any to the Fan Creations?

AtolkienHead - Loved the 'computer cat.' Gave me a good laugh.

We are stuck inside today with Thunder Storms rolling through Central Illinois again. :cry: So, I guess I will take the time to read more of the Sil.

a Good day to ye,
Lothien
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 06:01
Welcome Meowyn! We are so glad to have another Tolkien fan, especially one with so much knowledge!

Lothien_Vilya don't cry for the rain, just be glad it gave you a chance to curl up with Tolkien! Southeast Missouri is having a beautiful day! Atolk sends huggles to Lothien :hug:
Meowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 01:15
Welcome - Meowyn. You do have quite a history with Tolkien. I'd love to hear the music and see your drawings. Have you posted any to the Fan Creations?

Not yet. My mother is co-author now so I must see with her.
As for the music, it's just the melody. And now, I know that it is not exactly what Tolkien intended for Galadriel. I've just 2 partial recordings but it was before I took singing lessons and it's not very good !! :blush:
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 03:50
Wow!! I have been away for a short time and Our little community is growing wonderfully. Image

Welcome, Mae govannen, and Many Greetings to ALL of our new members so glad to have you here.

Old Tom so glad to have you here, I do remember the poster, I believe I had one also but, alas, it has long gone along with my Led Zeppelin and 1969 Woodstock posters…..Heavy Sigh! Image

Jessamyn: Your Birthday! Happy Belated B-Day hope it was Fab!!! Image

Meowyn: I too would love to hear your music and see your pictures it sounds as though you are very talented.

Calperia: Glad to have you - I’ll be a little late for the party……I have a lembas recipe around here somewhere... it is like a scone... now where did I…ah...here it is:

6TBSP honey butter (recipe available in Elven Eatery)
2 cups (16 oz) self-rising flour
2 TBSP granulated sugar
1 egg well beaten
1/2 cup (4 oz) milk
4 TBSP heavy cream
Mallorn leaves (optional)

With a pastry blender or fork, stir honey butter into the flour in a mixing bowl until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Do this rapidly so the butter does not melt. Add sugar
In a small bowl beat the egg and milk together until mixed. Reserve 2 TBSP of this mixture to brush the tops of the lembas. Add the cream and egg mixture to the flour and mix just until combined into a stiff, soft dough.
Knead three or four times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a 3/4" thickness and cut with an oval or leaf shaped cookie cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet or stone, leaving 1" of space between lembas. Brush the tops of the lembas with the reserved egg-milk mixture.
Bake for 12-13 minutes in a preheated 400º oven.

Hope this is helpful to you Image

Scott56: Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself on your Holiday. I was sorry to hear about Hobbes. I too lost my companion and Cat of 20 years, year before last. My heart goes out to you. Image

Nenya: went to your website and you looked positively Rangerish. What a great costume…and talent.

Those of you who are Teachers IT”S SUMMER….YES!! not that I thought you might be excited or anything like that.
Well I must go now…. Take care everyone…May the grace of the Valar go with us all

Peace Image

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 08:01
Jessemyn: Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day.

We have finally returned from our journey. It was amazing. I truly didn't want to leave Scotland and the castle. I felt so connected there....It was strange to see familiar family features in the old paintings on the walls. We got a tour of the castle from dungeon to tower. The man who gave the tour knew so much about the history of the family. Then he went into some family traits that lean towards creativity--that would be Jared, not me--that show up in the generations. Another connection. Then walking the grounds.....my husband said it looks like what he imagined it would in Lothlorian. And it did. It was unbelievable. So Celtic. You'd be walking these quiet paths with these absolutely huge trees (they looked like mallorns to me!) and come across "memorials" built out of stone in the middle of the forest. Something out of Tolkien for sure.

We also took some time at the Battlefield of Cullodon. That was another amazing place. So much sad history there. There are still flowers laid at the clan stones. The Scots' memory is a long one.

We took a day trip to Stonehenge and Bath. That was another incredible place. Stonehenge gave me the chills. So ancient.

I am running out of adjectives to use to describe things. I did so much of "I can't believe I'm seeing this. Whoa! That's amazing!" and sentences along those lines. I was speechless so many times and deeply moved just as often.

We made it home just in the nick of time. We landed and no more than 10 minutes later the tornadoes hit. We had to go into the basement of the airport until we were sure that they had gone around us. They did, but boy did it rain. I'll bet we got at least 5 or 6 inches of rain. Luckily, we didn't get too much water in the basement.

I was really glad to be home though. It was a 22+ hour day for Doug, my mom, and me. I was sooooooo glad to get into my bed.

My son was an excellent guide in London. We did a couple of nights walking all over central London...Picadilly Circus, Trafalger Square (saw my first protest), Covent Garden, just to name a few. We walked miles and miles and took over 2000 pictures at the end between my son, his girlfriend, and us. Now is the time to recuperate and get caught up on CoE. I truly missed all of you.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 08:15
Oh, scots56, WELCOME HOME!!! :wave: :hug:

Wow! What a trip! I got chills just reading about the chills you got at Stonehenge... That is something I have ALWAYS wanted to see... It's so ancient and so mysterious...

The castle sounds fantastic! How wonderful to see your heritage. I can't wait to see your photos!

Shireling and TopazDragon, thank you for the compliments on my Ranger outfit!

Atolkienhead ~ I laughed out loud at the cat photo! Image

Meowyn ~ I'm so glad you joined us! Dont worry, I won't tell anyone that you have less than two years to be an FoF!

Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 08:36
TopazDragon
I have a lembas recipe around here somewhere... it is like a scone... now where did I…ah...here it is:

6TBSP honey butter (recipe available in Elven Eatery)
2 cups (16 oz) self-rising flour
2 TBSP granulated sugar
1 egg well beaten
1/2 cup (4 oz) milk
4 TBSP heavy cream
Mallorn leaves (optional)

Okay, Where is the Elven Eatery? I looked in the Last Homely House and did not see it. And where will I find Mallorn Leaves? (Suggestions for substitue?)

Scots56 - Welcome back! :hug: You have been missed!

Meowyn - don't worry that you work isn't 'Polished' I would love to hear the tune, anyway! Are you working on words for it?

Well, must be off to foster Nephews H.S. graduation.
Great day to all,
Lothien_Vilya
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 02:09
Vilya I hope you did not encounter the bad weather that I saw on the weather map today! It looked as if Illinois was being pummelled with storm after storm.

Scots your trip sounds wonderful and to be looking upon the lands of your forefathers must have made the trip a memorable event in your life. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures. Welcome home!

Topaz I am looking forward to trying your lambas recipe. I want to know if one small bite will fill me and give me energy for the day!

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 04:31
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. I do like this thread very much.

I was definitely not bored reading your post, Meowyn, and please add my name to the list of those who would like to hear your music. It's very admirable that you would study Tolkien's complex texts in a second language. I don't know how far I would have gotten if I had had to read The Silmarillion in French!

I'm a bit of a musician myself. I studied flute until the age of 20 or so, and later studied voice; I am a lyric tenor and have a Bachelor of Music degree in vocal performance. My voice is best suited to the works of Mozart, Donizetti, Rossini, Bellini, and the like, i.e., I won't be singing the role of Siegfried any time soon!

Last fall as I was preparing to attend The Gathering of the Fellowship convention in Toronto I started learning some of Tom Bombadil's songs and putting them to music. The songs I learned pretty much had the same pattern so I was able to contrive one melody that would work for all. Well, all except for the one that goes:

"Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:
His songs are stronger songs and his feet are faster."

That song is much more declamatory so I devised a much simpler melody for that one. It also contrasts nicely with the other melody I wrote, so when Frodo needs rescuing from the Barrow Wight and sings the song that Tom taught him,

"Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!
By water, wood and hill, by the reed and willow,
by fire, sun and moon, harken now and hear us!
Come, Tom Bombadil, for our need is near us!"

the tune for the "Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow..." song isn't precisely the same.

The Tolkien Ensemble album I mentioned in my previous post has a setting of this "Ho! Tom Bombadil" song on it. As much as I like the melody and enjoy Peter Hall's performance, I personally think it's a bit too jolly for a "please rescue me from a Barrow Wight" sort of song, even for merry Old Tom.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 08:47
Vilya I hope you did not encounter the bad weather that I saw on the weather map today! It looked as if Illinois was being pummelled with storm after storm.

We were very fortunate that the storms passed all around us, but none came near enough to ruin the graduation or the our door garden reception she had you him. There was a tornado east of us and some heavy storms SE. But we did not even get but a few drops of rain.

We are so waterlogged here for the time being. Last weeks rain which cause flach flooding soaked us pretty good. Our Garden full of Hosta is loving the rain. Looks a bit like a tropical rain forest - including the bugs which I did not get a chance to spray for because of my knee this spring.

'Mandy Lee' as my mother would exclaim when something excited her - listen to all the music going on here/hear! I love it. The thought of the Music of Iluvatar comes to mind. I try to imagine the tune and keep it in my heart all day long. I am so eager to hear the music you FoF have in your hearts.

Lothien_Vilya
Meowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 10:33
Thanks to all for your warm welcome !

Old_Tom_Bombadil It's very admirable that you would study Tolkien's complex texts in a second language.
I was a bit confused by sentences like "Seest thou not how Melko hath bethought him of biting colds without moderation, yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy cristals…". I have always wondered how it looked like for a native english speaker.
I am a lyric tenor ...
Great ! I love opera. I've been taking singing lessons for some months. I am a mezzo-soprano and have not a powerful voice but it's just for fun so it does not matter. But my dream would be to sing Isolde...

NenyaGold Dont worry, I won't tell anyone that you have less than two years to be an FoF!
Image LOL LOL :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: Image

scots56 The castle sounds great !

And for everyone waiting for the music :
Is it possible to post a wav-file here ? hope you won't be disappointed when you hear it ! It's just me singing (not very well) a simple tune on Tolkien words. :blush:
kazbels
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 02:34
Atolkien - loved the picture of your cat! They are such funny creatures.

scots56 - enjoyed reading about your trip to Scotland and England. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Meowyn - welcome to the board. Another die-hard fan of the book! Hurrah!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 02:55
I am busily trying to organize my pictures from my trip. Between my son, his girlfriend, and us, we took over 2000 pictures. Some are temporarily lost in translation, but I'm sure they will be found shortly. In the meantime, here is a picture of Kilravock Castle, ancestral home of Clan Rose. Kilravock Castle

I tried to get anothe picture on to this post, but it didn't work for me. So I'll do a second post. Is there somewhere that I can post more than one picture? I haven't found it yet if there is. I was actually quite proud of myself that I got it into my journal on the first try. Go Me!! :cheers:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 03:27
forest of Kilravock

Here is one of the many many pictures that I took around Kilravock. The grounds were just amazing. The trees were enormous, and it was truly the forest of Lothlorien to me. I could have just spent my entire time wandering the grounds.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 03:39
scots56 ~ The castle is fantastic! Yu are right ~ the forest looks like something right out of Lothlórien! I think I WOULD have spent my entire time and photo allotment on the grounds!

To get more photos in your post, just do what you are doing but have two windows open at the same time:

one with the open post box

the other to move from Journal to Journal
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 03:50
forest of Kilravock

Here is one of the many many pictures that I took around Kilravock. The grounds were just amazing. The trees were enormous, and it was truly the forest of Lothlorien to me. I could have just spent my entire time wandering the grounds.

I'm with Nenya on this one. Do you think they would let us pitch a tent and just stay for a little while? Maybe two tents, one for all the pictures we would be making. I have a big tent so about 6 - 8 of us could fit in it.

Keep those snaps coming!

Lothien_Vilya
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 04:24
:wave: Welcome to everyone new since I last posted. I feel like I have been away from home. I have been sitting here reading posts with my eyes wide open at all of you wonderful people. Anyone watching my face would think they had walked in on soundless conversation. I can almost hear all of you talking.

My daughter did very well at the state track tournament. I was proud of her. She is a senior so this is her last year to compete. She took the gold medal in the long jump and the triple jump and placed 3rd inthe 200 meter dash. She was disqualified from the 100 meter dash because she bounced after the call for "set". She didn't go out of the blocks though and I wish they had just re-started. Oh Well! I was really afraid she wouldn't come up for the 200 but she did.

I am going to try the Sil again. Thanks for the advice on getting "help". Summer is almost here. Yeah!!! 2 and 1/2 days of school left for the kids and 2 more than that for us. ROTK comes out tomorrow on DVD. Hooray!!!

Scots56 I new you would love Stonehenge. I cried when I saw it. I just couldn't believe I was there. I wish you could get a little closer though. Did you talk the audio tour? I did. The explanations were great. I also bought the guidebook.
Isn't London a great city? Didn't you feel pretty safe there?

I hope you all get to go to England some day.

That tenting expedition I read about...count me in...I've got the sausages, tomatoes and mushrooms covered. We'll have a little Hobbit food.
Later,
Time to go home,
brandywine
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 05:34
Scots56 I new you would love Stonehenge. I cried when I saw it. I just couldn't believe I was there. I wish you could get a little closer though. Did you talk the audio tour? I did. The explanations were great. I also bought the guidebook.
Isn't London a great city? Didn't you feel pretty safe there?

I have to admit, I did get teary when I first saw Stonehenge and walked up to it. It is such an awe-inspiring sight. There was an almost electrical feeling in the air. Just amazing. We bought the guide book and I got myself a t-shirt.

I felt pretty safe in London all in all. When we first went to Traflager Square there was a Free Palestine/anti-American protest going on. I stood above it and watched with interest, but I never really felt like it was unsafe. Our son Jared took us on a walking tour a couple of nights. We went to Covent Gardens, Picadilly Circus, #10 Downing Street, Buckingham Palace, just all over the place. I really enjoyed the British Museum and seeing the Rosetta Stone and the Egyptian antiquities. London is an amazing city...crazy like most large cities but vastly interesting. Well worth the time.

As I sit here typing this, my copy of RotK is sitting beside me ready to be watched. Since I don't have to go to school today, this will be my day's occupation. I can hardly wait.:love::love:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 12:37
I really enjoyed the British Museum and seeing the Rosetta Stone and the Egyptian antiquities. London is an amazing city...crazy like most large cities but vastly interesting. Well worth the time.

As I sit here typing this, my copy of RotK is sitting beside me ready to be watched. Since I don't have to go to school today, this will be my day's occupation. I can hardly wait.:love::love:

Scots56 - are you 'into' Egyptoloyg? I have studied a little of it. I love the documentary programs shown of TV about Egypt. Dr Hawasse [sp] is one of my favorite people. He has done great work with his Office of Antiquities. And he writes well, also.

I, too, am sitting here trying to get the security tape off my copy of RotK. Dang tape won't come off. ARGH! I haven't seen it yet, not even 'in theatre's near you'. So, I am just to excited to believe I am about to see it - FINALLY. It was playing on a TV in the store and I had to drag myself away to keep from getting caught up in it - in the middle.

I'm sure most of you are doing the same thing. So, I'll catch ya all later.

Lothien_Vilya
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 12:58
Wow I haven’t been to this thread for a while – so much to catch up on and so many new members joining in, it’s great. Hi to everyone :wave: Jessamyn a happy very belated birthday to you.

NenyaGold – what a fantastic outfit.

Old_Tom_Bombadil – I love the work of Pauline Baynes, she did the cover art for my beloved copy of LotR that I was given in the 70’s and still have (I also have the Narnia books that she illustrated).

Meowyn – I too would love to hear your music.

Atolkienhead – lol l- oved the pic of the cat.

scots56 – wonderful to hear about your trip to the UK. I know just what you mean about Stonehenge, it's just awesome to stand somewhere that goes so far back in history. 2000 pictures, that’s going to take some sorting out! Love the ones you have posted so far.

Brandywine – congratulations to you daughter she sounds a really talented athlete

I ordered my copy of the RotK video from a book club I belong to - I got a free copy of the RotK visual companion - but as yet no DVD :cry:, ah well let's hope it arrives tomorrow
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 01:04
Geez, you'd think I was a kid again waiting for Christmas morning!!! :blush:

I'm sitting here waiting for the UPS truck with my DVD on it!!! Every time a truck goes by I jump up and run to he window (fortunately, it's only four steps) to see if it is that truck. So far it hasn't been, otherwise, I wouldn't be writing this...

Thank you for the compliment, morwenna! It's good to see you back here!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 03:02
Morwenna and NenyaGold:
Did you get your copies of RotK yet??? I hope so. The companion disk has some really great documentaries that I missed on TV. That's always a plus for me.

My sister called yesterday morning still waiting to get hers. I have to admit that I prodded her a little telling her that I had mine. She lives up in the boonies in the Rocky Mountains, so she has to go the amazon.com route. For me...Wal Mart here I come! :rolling:

The spousal unit had the day off yesterday, so we spent yesterday afternoon and evening watching RotK and the companion disk. Today I have to do school work at home :angry: , so I decided I'd plug it in to my laptop and multi-task. If I have to work, I might as well have some enjoyment.

Here's hoping that you all enjoyed watching RotK at home as much as I did. Silly of me...that would be a given wouldn't it?
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 04:08
Been a while since I've been here. My computer crashed and was down for 2 weeks. :killcomp: Hi. back to everyone and new members. :wave: I've been quite busy lately, with work and spring stuff to do outside and inside.

I got my copy of Rotk yesterday. Today I'm having a Lotr day. I am going to sit back and watch all the theatrical movies. (9 hrs 17 min). Up here where I live we've had crapy weather so I am taking the day off. I might even watch Rotk tomorrow night after I get off work. I'm off the have breakfast and to do some computer work. Ta Ta for now. :disco:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 04:15
:cry::cry::cry:<------ Does that answer your question? Actually... I supposed that could be either way... Crying because I didn't get it or crying because I got it and I'm a sap...

Yes!!! I got it! Met the UPS guy at the driveway (heard his truck pull up) and nearly gave him a heart attack. It was probably the first time anyone had stood waiting for him.

My husband surprised me and watched it with me! :heart: It was his second time and my fifth!

I'll go back and watch the documentaries ~ I love those.

I just want to say how wonderfully fantastic the movie (as were the other two) was!

The little details like:

the dust popping off the inside of the masssive gates to Minas Tirith when Grond crashed into it;

Peter Jackson playing Hitchcock to the hilt on one of the Corsairs;

the homage to the Cowboy and Indian movies when the Rohirrim appeared at the top of the hill before they rode into the battle of the Pelennor;

Gandalf's laughter of sheer joy when Frodo sees him, seemingly in a dream, after the ring is destroyed. It is then I remember that Frodo thought Gandalf had perished...

"My friends, you bow to no one."

Aacckkk!!! I write this through puffy, blurry (I said I was a sap!!!) eyes!

*MY* books are alive! ALIVE!

And this has been the best Christmas ever!!!
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 09:42
Guess it's just not my week. I was on broadband for 4 days but have had to go back to dail up for a while due to phone line problems. Also no RotK DVD yet - maybe it got lost in the post :cry: maybe it will come tomorrow
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 12:51
:cry::cry::cry:<------ Does that answer your question? Actually... I supposed that could be either way... Crying because I didn't get it or crying because I got it and I'm a sap...

I must be just as big of a sap. I did not get to see the film in the theatres so yesterday was my first look at it. I was so excited. Took me forever to get that stupid security tape off the box.

I had a couple of friends drop by as the Rohirrim were called to arms. One of them had not seen it either, so I stopped it and we started all over. They had to go before it was over. Once I got back to it, it ran through to the end. About the time Sam and Frodo were climbing Mt Doom and Frodo was unable to go on and Sam took him in his arms and held him, I started to cry. I cried the whole rest of the way through to the end and kept crying long after it was over.

This afternoon my friends came back to see the end of the movie, which we started from where they left off. Once again at the same place on Mt Doom I started to get weepy again, but was able to restrain myself until Aragorn saw Arwen. Then, when Aragorn said, "My friends, you bow to no one." The tears started to flow again. I didn't stop till it was over. I will be watching the extra disk tonight! ! !

I have to admit to always having an overwhelming feeling of sadness at the end of the book. Sad because the journey is over for me, too, and sad because the sorrow in the hearts of Merry, Pippin, and Sam has to be so, nearly unbearable. Not only do they lose Gandalf and Bilbo, they lose Frodo, too. They will never be able to share the joys of Rivendale again, either. All lost at the same time. Breaks my heart and I didn't even evey get to tip my hat to a one of them on the streets of the Shire or on the long road of their journey. Friends, never met in person! (That has a familiar sound.)

A Blessed Day to all, my un-met friends of Middle Earth.

Lothien_Vilya
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 06:04
Congrats to those of you who are celebrating Christmas seven months early!

Old Tom is waiting for the extended edition that is scheduled to be released in November before purchasing the DVD. I have to have the extra footage!!! I'll probably rent TRotK sometime before then, though. I saw the film twice in the theatre and remember it pretty well, so I'm not particularly anxious to see it. Besides, I'd much rather read it.

Hmmm As I think about it, my guess is that some of the womenfolk are more anxious to see Viggo and the other hunks of Middle-earth than they are to view the story. Am I right? :rolleyes:
<< First1011121314Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email