Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
sam
Council Member
Send Message
Post who is the funniest character
on: August 05, 2002 10:13
we all no pippin is one of the funniest characters in the film but who is the funniest in the film to u?
Minuial
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: who is the funniest character
on: August 05, 2002 10:19
Either Merry or Bilbo. Merry has more oppurtunity for it, but I Bilbo's good too. Butterbur is funny as well.
Mithrodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 10:28
For me it was Pippin. He cracked me up him and Merry made a great double team. The y really cracked me up. Also Elrond did but it wasn't cause he was funny it was cause he talked just like agent smith I mean it was in the same tone but I thought he played the part really well. Also Glimi had some fanstic lines too... Though his crying just wsn't believe able...anyone else think that?
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 10:40
If you're leaning more towards slapstick humor, I'd say Pippin. Merry's humor was more witty, which I prefer, so I must go with him.

[Edited on 5/8/2002 by Parmadur]
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 10:42
yeah gimlis crying was funny wasn't it
Lily_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 01:26
Pippin was hilarious!! i'm very proud of my in-law!!!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 06:19
The funniest to me would have to be Pippin... a combination of his inflection (accent) when speaking, his cuteness (I melt with cute), and the ad libs he made which I'm sure they left in... like the 'ashes in the tomatoes' comment. I'm looking forward to seeing him more in the next movies...

What's more, he provides some very necessary humour in a movie trilogy that could have been altogether too serious with death, destruction and hopelessness.
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 06:24
Okay, I know I get a little redundant on this..but I have to say Legolas is the funniest. But he's unintentionally funny, which makes it even funnier. *word flashes across Trig's mind: Drama Queen...er..elf*

Gandalf is funny as well! But again, sometimes it's unintentional..Gimli, when he comes out of the snow on Caradhras is toooooo funny! Absolutely sputtering!!!

Trig

[Edited on 8/12/2002 by Trignifty]
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 06:28
Merry and Pippin were just the funniest duo...though even Gandalf had his moments were he cracked a funny...those Wizards are wiley ol' coots
Hlariwen_Umbárië
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 09:01
I've got to agree with you, sam; Pippin really is the funniest in the film, which follows on from the book nicely. Some of the more funny stuff was added by Peter Jackson and family, though, e.g. the "quest, trip, thing" and (a mix of Merry 'n' Pip, perhaps) the "pint" moment. Does anybody feel that this was anything but a brilliant addition? Would anybody have rather seen less intervention with our dear little hobbits?

Personally, I did get the feeling that Jackson used them a lot for emotional release and comic relief, but - as far as I see it - that's what they are in the early books, albeit not so exaggerated. I'm hoping any comic relief moments are simply going to highlight how much the two grow up on their journey.
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 10:44
nobody else thinks Gandalf had funny moments in the book and in the movie??? am I going insane?
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 10:51
no ur not goin insane. i agree. gandalf did have a lot of funny bits in the book and the film. really funny .

who elses agrees with theVoiceofSauron
Merridius
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 12:15
I'll tell you whats really funny. That someone acts and exists like Saruman.
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 03:40
that is both funny and weird
does he acted evil :evil:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 05:17
mmm funny huh?

well, obviously Pippin was 'funny', but sometimes the fun fot in the way of his character... unfortunately...
I do believe it was good he & Merry were a form of comic relief in the movie, because non-book-fans would have found it a lot more dull if they wouldn't have been there IMO

I laughed a lot, but at stupid things like Gandalf's face at certain times, Bilbo's speech, the 'ashes in my tomato' bit, Merry mocking Pippin at the Council, Boromir in Moria (they have a cave troll - loved the way he said that)...
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 08:56
nobody else thinks Gandalf had funny moments in the book and in the movie??? am I going insane?--- VoS

Yes, and yes!! I do think Gandalf has some funny moments, but it's not his "job" to be the comic relief (so to speak). I think he should be affectionate and wryly humourous... as that seems to be a side of his nature... NOT comic, though.

Your insanity really has nothing to do with LOTR, my young friend... 'tis part of growing up! And you still have a ways to go to catch up with the rest of us...ah, ...older fans anyway. LOL !!

*smacks VoS (very lightly) on the back* Just enjoy it!!
Peregrin_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 10:04
PIPPIN and MERRY, they are so funny. i think they are wicked man. so funny and cute
Paper_Crane
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 04:27
Merry and Pippin for the most part are the funniest, but I always crack up at the look on Elrond's face when Merry and Pippin come running into the Council.
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 11:22
Yeah that was really really really funny
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2002 09:33
come on all those merry and pippin fans
AryonaFiRE
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2002 05:50
Easy! Legolas!

Oh come one! With his long flowy hair, dramatic poses, and lines like, "There is a foul voice in the air!" you can't HELP but laugh!

What makes it worse is all his female fans, who think he's the MAN!

Aryona FiRE
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 11, 2002 04:30
Easy! Legolas!

Oh come one! With his long flowy hair, dramatic poses, and lines like, "There is a foul voice in the air!" you can't HELP but laugh!

What makes it worse is all his female fans, who think he's the MAN!

LOL! you're lucky we're not the killer types round here love.... I did love the fact nobody ever listened to him: two deaths could have been avoided if Aragorn had listened to Legolas! poor thing...

anyway, hi Aryona, say hi to Figwit!
AryonaFiRE
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2002 09:17
>LOL! you're lucky we're not the killer types round here love.... I did love the fact nobody ever listened to him: two deaths could have been avoided if Aragorn had listened to Legolas! poor thing...
anyway, hi Aryona, say hi to Figwit!

Hi Figwit!?

Gods, if i was Aragorn i wouldn't have listened to LegoLAS either... It's hard to take people like that seriously

Aryona FiRE

*** please note... this person turned out to be a troll and was later banned... her posts were left only because there were replies posted to her rather inflammatory comments. No need for further upset about them, tho. ***

[Edited on 8/12/2002 by Elerrina]
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 11, 2002 11:07
"people like that"....hmmm, with keen eyesight and excellent hearing...I believe the Fellowship would have done well to listen to him a little more often! Coulda saved them some trouble...
Mithrodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2002 12:36
I think Gandalf was funny but not in the conventail way. He was more funny in his own quirky way. I think Legolas was portrayed correctly though he could have done with a few more lines. His part seemed some what more down sized then the book

And Figgy I have to say I completely agree with you I LOVED the way Boromir says they have a cave troll it cracks up every time!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 11, 2002 12:58
I think Legolas was portrayed correctly though he could have done with a few more lines. His part seemed some what more down sized then the book

yup agree with you there mith. though they did show alot of close ups of his face "to show emotion" im sure!

its a shame they missed the whole "farewell i go to find the sun" i loved that bit in the book!

ok as for the topic... well pip was funny.

i liked boromirs line. also i think sam was quite funny- nothing obvious jsut in a sweet way. (if that makes any sense)

:blush:

i also think frodo is funny. in the beginning he is so happy. i love his dancing at the party scene. its a shame we didnt see more of that frodo

[Edited on 11/8/2002 by k]
BondageOrc
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2002 06:48
I liked Merry & Pippin (very cute), but I also liked Gandalf.

Gandalf was both intentionally and unintentionally (in the fight with Saruman...it's breakdancing time at the old folks home! ) funny in the movie.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 04:19
Spoiler ( slight one )

Favorite funny line- "it comes in pints?"
Favorite unintentional comedy- Gandalf's headspin

I do feel that Merry and Pippin are the funniest characters in the movie - but they come close to being too much the comedic sidekicks and it's dificult to see them growing from the immature and irresponsible characters they are in FotR to the important charceters they grow into in RotK.
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 08:32
Favorite funny line- "it comes in pints?"
Favorite unintentional comedy- Gandalf's headspin

hehehehehehehehehehehe that was sooooooooooooooo funny
AryonaFiRE
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 11:24

OK for those who got upset about the Legolas thing, i'm sorry. i wasn't serious.

i think we almost all agree that Pippin is the best. (Who was the one who mentioned, "It comes in Pints?") He's so adorable, and i love his accent!

Merry's also funny. "Yes, Pippin. My point is, he's clearly overreacting!"

Aryona FiRE
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 02:05
The orcs crack me up. Laugh at me if you will but whenever I saw the Orcs or Uruk Hai I go CRACKING UP! Especially in the end when Aragorn sliced the Uruk Hai's arm off then stabbed him in the torso,then the Uruk Hai proceeded to PUSH IN THE SWORD while giving an evil smile,then Aragorn took the sword and WHAM,no arm or head,and a whole in the torso. Now that is some sick comedy
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 02:46
Well, Merry and Pippin, but I must say, I did see some growth even in the movie. True, Pippin did some really stupid things (like touching the Dwarf corpse's arrow and causing its head, then body, then the well's bucket to fall down and rouse the Moria orcs), but he knew he blew it. And Merry was already the more level-headed of the two. He knew Frodo was leaving the Fellowship. Yes, they provided comic relief, but they also helped him and Sam escape the Nazgul and the Uruk-Hai, later on. Yes, there were funny moments with almost every one of the members of the Fellowship, but some were much obvious than others and some needed repeated watching to really catch. Heh...
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2002 01:58
The orcs crack me up.

hehehehe there are called maggots, hehehehehehehe that makes me laugh hehehehe

i agree the orcs where funny but still not as funny as merry and pippin. even though they are not as stupid as they seem as BelleBayard pionted out to us. i agree
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2002 11:30
But then again don't you think merry and pippen were sort of MADE to be the comics? The orcs were made to be foul,demon like creatures but then someone like me comes along and laughs at them.
BondageOrc
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2002 07:37
The orcs crack me up. Laugh at me if you will but whenever I saw the Orcs or Uruk Hai I go CRACKING UP! Especially in the end when Aragorn sliced the Uruk Hai's arm off then stabbed him in the torso,then the Uruk Hai proceeded to PUSH IN THE SWORD while giving an evil smile,then Aragorn took the sword and WHAM,no arm or head,and a whole in the torso. Now that is some sick comedy

LOL! Yes! That was funny in a very wrong sort of way. I too laugh at the Orcs. There is something very amusing about them... I always laugh at the one who asks Saruman about the orders from Mordor, because it looks like his head has been stapled together.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email