Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post RE: who is the funniest character
on: February 25, 2003 08:00
Now that TTT is out, it may be interesting to revisit this topic, as many things changed between the two movies. Gimli became more of a comic relief, and Merry and Pippin became less so. This movie certainly had fewer comic and light moments in it, with much more serious material to work with. If I had to say who had the funniest lines in the film, it would be Gollum. His lines became funny, without being written as comic relief, like some of Gimli's lines had been.
i_luv_orlando_b
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2003 04:19
PIPPIN!!!! No doubt about it!
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2003 07:59
I think pippin was the funniest. When he said"I've had one yes,but what about second breakfest" I was laughing *so*hard! He's the best.
Dawn-maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2003 08:41
Pippin and Gollum were very funny, and Sam when he said "No, I'm his gardener", but to me Gimli was funniest.
indianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2003 06:37
In the first movie, it was definately Merry and Pippin as comic relief. In the TTT it switches over and Gimli and Legolas and Aragorn interacting becomes the comice lighting of the moment.
That's what i think anyway.
Plantagenet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2003 08:49
I agree with indianna,
in FOTR Pipin & Merry
in TTT Gimli & Legolas, but mostly Gimli
evil_she-elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2003 10:58
Pippin and Gimli
Alaghelediel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2003 01:38
I think Pippin was the funniest in the movies. Half-way because he's just silly and half-way because his accent is just so adorable it cracks me up! XD

Merry was also funny.

Gandalf also made me laugh in weird ways. LOL I don't know, there's just something about him or things he does that make me giggle.

And I agree that Boromir's cave troll line was good.
eleanor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2003 11:17
I think it's aragorns horse, when he kisses aragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 07:27
thats hard. well as an indivijual i would say Sam in TTT when him and Gollum are talking about taters. and as a pair i would say merry and pippin {Duh} i like the part where they are in Rivendell and pippin is saying somethin like "you need people of intelligence" and merry is all 'that counts you out'

[Edited on 16/3/2003 by Liliath]
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 08:23
My favorite funny parts were with Sam and Gollum in TTT.

Although, Merry and Pippin were very funny as well.....Gimli too!
Furry-footed_Nerf_Herder
Pippinatic
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 01:01
Ha Theoden when he says to Eowyn: "We have lost many lives" he sounds like Saturday Night Live's immitation of Sean Connery(sp?). Especially the lives part, I cracked up like so much when I was writing out the script. By far though I think that Legolas is the funniest, his facial expressions when he's in the backround just crack me up like nothing else. Especially when he's standing behind Haldir right after Haldir arrives. LOL!
Alagdalwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 02:35
I think that Pippin is the funniest.

[Edited on 24/2/2004 by Alagdalwen]

[Edited on 2/3/2004 by Alagdalwen]
baby_devil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 02:43
I think that overall Merry, Pippin, and Sam are the funniest. Gollum is funny too (expecially the part "What's taters?" lol i love that part!!! ) And i think that Legolas and Gimli have some funny parts too but not as many as Merry, Pippin, or Sam.

Baby Devil
baby_devil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 04:19
hi i just gotta add sumthing:

i read something about pippin and "ashes in my tomatoes" and i was wondering what is that? is it from the book or movie?

thanks,

baby devil
Alagdalwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2003 12:56
It's from the movie.
luv_aragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2003 03:45
pippin...even just the way his voice sounds cracks me up...it's so cute...and the way he looks during certain times...too funny..."Don't talk to it Merry. Don't Encourage it." classic
ChildofIlluvatar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2003 08:03
Pippin, of course.

"Fool of a took. Next time, do us all a favor and throw yourself in by your own stupidity."
Little_Elven_Princess
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2003 12:39
I reckon Pippin is Funny, but when Merry and Pippin are together, they are the funniest little things

~P:Merry
M:Shhhh, Gandalf's thinking
P: Merry
M: What?
P: I'm Hungry!~
The Mines of Moria
dimfeniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 08:48
I thought that i was probably a tie between gimli and pippin but i have to give it to pippin- since he got barely any tmie in the movie at all , and he still made us crack up. him and merry are the perfect duo. just the way pippin moves makes me laugh cuz hes so fidgety and odd
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 03:29
Merry and Pippin, hands down! They're the perfect pair to make you laugh!

~Becki
smeagol_the_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:54
I have to go with merry and pippin also, cant have one with other. I especially loved the part where merry and pippin set off the Dragon firecracker during bilbo's birthday. Their faces looked like something out of an old Wile E Coyote/Roadrunner cartoon.

Another hilarious scene I like, is the scene where Merry and Pippin are caught by Sam with Farmer Maggot's Crop. Then they run and come to a hill, and fall of it, where they are led to MUSHROOMS...

Trust a brandybuck and a took, ~sam
It was just a detour, a shortcut ~merry
a shortcut to what...~Sam~
MUSHROOMS ~ Pippin~

------------------------------------------------------------------
~living just isnt hard enough, burn me alive, inside,living my life isnt hard enough, Take every thing away~[b]disturbed[/b]

Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:58
Pippin of course!!! :heart: I love that guy. I wish I knew him as friend `cause I know he would always be making jokes. :evil:
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 05:59
In FOTR it's definitely Pippin and Merry, but in TTT I found the Legolas and Gimli 'enemy body count' competition at Helm's Deep very funny, also when Legolas asked Gimli if he wanted him to 'describe it to him' when Gimli couldn't see over the battlement. Not that I find death funny, but the lines were very funny. L & G got the best (humorous) lines in TTT.
Frodo_007
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 07:51
without a doubt Merry & Pippin!!!i really love those two, they are so funny!!!
Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: July 16, 2003 02:43
Legolas is definitely the funniest! For various reasons posted by others.
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 16, 2003 02:51
I think Pippin's character is funny!

Werid thing is, he's not just there for comic relief, he's a main and that affects the story!

~Becki
merry2
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 19, 2003 01:35
I would have to say Merry and Pippin are the most funny characters. Gimli was also kind of funny.
CelebElin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2003 10:17
WEll i think that pip and mer are the funniest, though legola and gimli in TTT come in a very close second. However, it is sad that their comedy comes at the expense of their characters, they are far less complex than they are in the book.
JC
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 01:31
In FOTR it's definitely Pippin and Merry, but in TTT I found the Legolas and Gimli 'enemy body count' competition at Helm's Deep very funny, also when Legolas asked Gimli if he wanted him to 'describe it to him' when Gimli couldn't see over the battlement. Not that I find death funny, but the lines were very funny. L & G got the best (humorous) lines in TTT.

I totally agree! In FotR i cracked up with pippin and merry, but in TTT it was legolas and gimli. I personally think Gimli is the funniest
LegolasMorkwood10
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 03:22

I agree also merry and pippin cracked me up in the fellowship of the ring but in the two towers gimli and legolas where the one who cracked me up

[Edited on 7/9/2003 by LegolasMorkwood10]
theniece
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 12:50
I would have to go with Merry and Pippin. I mean, they wouldnt be as funny as they if they were alone. You need both of them to bring out the humour. The funniest parts to me were when they were with the Ents. Slow but if you get the hidden meanings of the jokes, they're really funny!:love:
Lotr_Fanatic690
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 05:03
I think Gollum was pretty funny with all buisness with sam, the sneaking part, when he was looking around with that innocent face (scene where he puts crmbs on sam's jacketses). But I didnt think Pippin was that funny in Rotk I thought Gandalf was because he kept hitting people with his staff and saying "It would be better if you didnt speak at all"
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 04:11
I think Pippin was the funniest. I thought Gandalf was pretty funny as well. Gimli had some funny lines as well, in ROTK. "Certain death, little chance of success, what are we waiting for?" lol
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 05:41
I think the orcs and Uruk-hai are funny. The whole scene where they discuss eating Merry & Pippin. The line, "Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!", cracks me up every time. Also the orc in Saruman's tower who says, in a very cultivated accent, "What does the eye command?"
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email