Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Dieters unite - are you trying to lose weight?
on: September 20, 2003 05:49
The Realm I am a member of [Estë] has started a motivational thread for those of us that are trying to lose weight. It seems like such a great idea that I thought I'd see if I can start one here. The following is a copy of my last post in that thread. I am hoping that we may all be more successful if we all work on it together and support each other - rather than trying to lose as individuals working alone.
I call my diet a modified Atkin's Plan- Induction Phase. I am severely limiting my carbohydrate intake- and trying to keep it to 20 grams or less per day. If you don't feel like buying the book - all the information you need can be found on the Atkin's Plan Homepage. It's free to sign up and it is very helpful. The first thing I did was download the Carb Counter that can be found under 'Resources' on the left side of the Atkin's homepage. I take it with me when I shop for groceries now.
if you are going to try it then I'd suggest that you prepare for it first by making sure that you have an adequate supply of suitable foods around before you start. I'm lucky in that my wife joined me in following the plan after my second week , so that we've been able to get rid of everything that wasn't acceptable.

We eat good nutritious meals now- we simply do not eat anything with sugar or refined carbohydrates in it- No Breads, beer,Potatoes, Rice or starchy vegetables , nothing made with flour, and for now we are also not eating fruits due to the presence of fruit sugars. When we shop we check out everything we buy for the Carbohydrate content so that we can keep track when we prepare our meals.
I call ours a modified plan - cuz we didn't give up coffee and after the first week we started drinking beverages like Crystal Lite and some diet sodas - with aspartame in them . The Site recommends sucralose or Splenda - but I can't find any diet beverages made with that and we've found that the aspartame (Equal) in the beverages we are drinking hasn't seemed to hurt. We are also drinking a little bit- no more than a single brandy or rye with diet coke in a day- and it hasn't seemed to hurt much - although I understand that the body will use the alcohol as fuel and stop burning fat temporarily until it is used up.
For snacks we eat mostly fresh celery, Dill piclkles , turkey pepperoni sticks or cheese.
I've found some great recipe's on the site for things like low-carb Chocolate truffles - but Sue won't let me make them yet as she iis a chocolate junkie and figures that she'll inhale the entire batch of 50 [and all 100 grams of carbohydrate ] on the day I make them.

When I started on this diet I was hoping to lose maybe 10 pounds by my 50th birthday [Oct 14] - now I'm hoping to lose 40 by then.

I know from experience that limted calorie or smaller portion or low fat diets have not worked for me. This one does !!

The only caution I have for people is that you should not go on this diet if you have kidney disease as your kidneys will not be up to handling the increases from digesting fats and proteins instead of carbs. The plan doesn't cause kidney problems but anyone with pre-existing kidney problems can exacerbate them on it.
______________________________-

By the way-I've never written it down anywhere before but I started out on Aug 24th at 290 pounds and I'm already down to 265 with a goal of 190 to 200. How's that for a confession?!

[Edited on 20/9/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
Post RE: Dieters unite - are you trying to lose weight?
on: September 20, 2003 06:24
Bravo, PB!! You're doing very well!! Now, for me...I've lost about 12 pounds on the Atkin's Diet, and it's not even been two weeks yet!! This diet is a very good one and it works better than anything else I've tried. The point is no carbs obviously, and the less you eat, the faster you lose weight.

It's not so hard, really. Although sometimes I do miss bread But after a while, you don't even mind really. And the funny thing is, is that you're supposed to keep your stomach full, by eating anything that doesn't have carbs in it. I actually just found some candy that has 0.7 net carbs!!! Woot!! It's great...but are there any other dieters out there?
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 12:43
Me! Me! I put on loads of weight after breaking my pelvis 2 years ago and I haven't been able to shift it! I'd love to try the Atkins Diet, but I'm a bit worried about the lack of carbs as I get very low blood sugar on occasions and need to stuff myself with carbs then to stop myself falling over :dizzy:

What would be the effect of doing the atkins diet but occasionally eating carbs? Would that spoil the whole thing? Does anyone know?

hugs

Becky
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 02:11
Well, it depends how many carbs a day you have. Atkin's suggests only 20 carbs per day to start with, but that is the Induction Phase, when you move on you can eat a few more carbs a day. You still lose weight if you eat like 30 carbs a day, but it will definitely come off slower, but it comes off!! I suggest if you want to do it, you buy Atkin's book of Carb Counters.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 05:53
Losing weight and keeping it off usually means lifestyle changes. Not only changing diet, but getting exercise and eating right. While some diets will help get weight off, staying on them long term can be difficult. I've found for myself that eating right and getting exercise is the best way. As long as you can continue eating this way over time and increase your activity level, you should succeed. I applaud those who have taken this seriously and will root for your continued success.
Lorien_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2003 11:43
Congratulations to all of you!! I know that cutting down carbs is one of the most difficult things to do, but it is definately worth it. I'm currently just trying to maintain my weight and tone, so keeping my carb intake respectable has really helped! GOOD LUCK to all of you on your continued success!!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 04:26
According to the Atkin's site - The low carb diet may actually solve that blood sugar problem . When your blood sugar spikes after a carb binge your body may overcompensate by a release of too much insulin removing too much blood sugar. The sugar is initially converted to gycogen and once there's no more room for glycogen storage the remaining sugar is converted to fat for long term storage.
Except for days when I'm sleep deprived I've felt an increase in my energy levels and actually feel great for a few hours starting about an hour after one of my low carb meals.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 05:45
I am very glad you have started this thread. I am also trying to lose weight, of course I'm stuck on weight watchers. Why? Especially when I KNOW Atkins works, and works faster? Because I need someone on my case and I need a supervised weigh in every week. Atkins doesn't have that as far as I've found. Also there are not enough products out there to support Atkins, or low carb period. Most of the products trying to apear as if they have jumped on the low carb wagon actually contain sugar substitutes that your body can convert BACK into sugar, or they just say no added sugar.

I do have a problem with Atkins... he does not take into account the Glycemic Index of foods. A grilled cheese sandwich made with whole wheat Sourdough, and butter and cheddar cheese will not be absorbed at the same rate as a piece of white bread with jam on it. And I do not think he stresses the importance of water intake enough. It is quite likely that you could cause damage to your system if you don't get atleast 8 glasses of water a day. You need to have an excess of water to help carry the potential build up of uric (SP?) acid.

How I wish I could find a diet buddy in my area! All the people I know who need, let me stress again... NEED to lose weight get offended when you ask about dieting together. And the few who Haven't been offended flake out.

Again, I think it's wonderful you started this thread.

I enjoy hearing about other people's success... even if I'm on a diet that attributes less points to a Coke than to Whole Milk.

Tasar *Ever stuck in a rutt*
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 10:34
Way to go everyone and I hope you have continued success. I'm pretty lucky in that my weight is not too out of whack for my build. My sister, however, struggled for years and years with her weight. She tried every diet and regime there was. Finally she lost more than 40 pounds and keeps it off. It took her a long time but the weight hasn't come back. Her success was from a combination approach. Regular well-balanced meals, lots of exercise and several glasses of water a day. Absolutely essential is a good (healthy) breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day. Never, ever eat only late in the day and don't snack on junk at night. It's far better for your system to eat several small meals per day than to eat one or two large ones.

As for the Atkins or other diets, well each to his own and you should do what works for you, every body is unique. Consider a whole health approach though and be careful to avoid preservatives and synthetic ingredients as they can be far more detrimental to your health than natural foods. I kind of cringed when I saw the dreaded aspartame being used in place of natural sugars.

As the ancient Greeks said: Nothing in excess. So don't go overboard in any one area at the expense of balance. Continued good luck in your efforts.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 01:53
As for the all you need is a healthy balanced diet.... I ate in an extreme measure to get this way, it only follows that I must eat in an extreme manner to get back to thin.... When I eat a balanced healthy diet... I just don't gain weight, but lose it? Very, VERY little.

As for working out... I do Pilates, tae boxing, and running in place/shadow boxing with weights. I have always been strong, but Pilates.... wow, the first couple of weeks it was murder, and I love it! Under neath these 80 lbs of flab is a tight set of muscles lol! (205lbs, 5'4 3/4'', size 12 American)

As for staying on Atkins, I have found it is hard because everyone undermines you, from friends and family to resturaunts and supermarkets. BUT you will never know if you have the disipline unless you try! I also recommend Self Matters from that TV Dufus DR. Phil... as much as it pains my ego I have learned alot from him....

Just on the outside chance... Is anyone who wants to lose weight in Half Moon Bay California? I would love to find someone to lose weight with, to pace with.

Tasar

Ivorwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 03:07
BelleBayard, I totally agree with you. I frequently visit a popular diet/exercise forum, and there are so many people that don't realize that losing weight and remaining thin requires a lifestyle change (and frequent exercise).

The problem with Atkins is that about 95% of people who start the diet eventually get sick of it and go back to eating carbs. I know of 2 people who have been following Atkins for a couple years and they look amazing, but they are the only 2 people I know that have stuck with it longer than a couple months.
Glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 11:40
hello. I just popped in to mention that I'm on the cross country team and I run 5 or so miles every day, and I haven't lost an ounce of weight, and I was just wondering why that might be. I'm not aiming to lose weight, but I figured that by switching from a sedentary lifestyle to, well, running for an hour a day that I'd lose some sort of weight in the process. it just doesn't work out in my brain. anybody?
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 02:55
I would wonder how long you have been doing it firstly, sometimes the effects of working out take a while to show. Also Running may only be burning off blood sugar and draining the glucose stores in your muscles. I would suggest doing some resistance training also. And, have you noticed any changes in your eating habits of recent? More excersize=more food intake?

Lastly, muscle weighs significantly more than fat... so if you are converting, it may be that you shall come to weigh more. I have a friend who weigh 5 lbs more than I do and yet she is in a size 24 and I am a size 12... big difference, and it all has to do with mucsle mass

Just a couple of thoughts

Tasar
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 06:34
While running is great for your cardiovascular system, it's hard on your knees and ankles. Tasar is correct. I don't say stop running, just even out your exercise with resistance training. I use a combination of cardio and light weight training in a program that alternates upper and lower body. I've been doing it a little less than three months and although I've only lost about 5-10 pounds, I've noticed toning and stamina increases. And I like the way I look a whole lot better. I've also been watching the junk food/rich food thing. Usually when you gain weight it isn't over a few weeks, it's over months to years. Taking it off will require the same time and keeping it off is a lifetime effort.

Glorfindel: Your body may think you're starving and is burning the wrong kind of energy, taking it from your liver rather than from fat. I'd be cautious about only doing running and make certain you eat a balanced diet. You can overtrain and that can burn you out and end up making you ill, no matter your age. Don't expect pound loss so much as a toning of your body. And you won't get full body toning unless you mix your exercise with something else beside running.

p.s. I'm a nurse so I have a pretty good handle on this stuff. Hehehehehe...
Ivorwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 07:18
Glorfindel, how much or what kinds of food are you eating? I've heard that diet accounts for 80% of the equation when losing weight. I was fat all through high schhol, though I had a very physically active after-school job and walked almost 2 miles to school every day (one way, nearly 4 mile round-trip). It was a few years before I figured out that what I was eating was keeping me from losing weight. My daily diet at the time consisted of a couple donuts and maybe some chocolate milk for breakfast, McDonald's super-sized value meal for lunch, pizza and potato chips and a ton of soda for dinner, etc. Candy bars for snacks, and so on and so forth. Now I eat lots of whole grains & fruit (I hate veggies), and fat-free dairy products and lean meat. I keep my calories between 1500-2000 calories a day and I manage to lose about 2 pounds a week (although I am working out for an hour a day, either aerobics or weight training or walking 4 miles at a brisk pace).
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 04:25
I guess I get to be the first TOTALLY NON-ATKINS loser here. I've been a chubby girl ALL my life. After 3 kids I gave up any thought of ever getting thinner, especially with the beginnings of hereditary arthritis starting in my hips and fingers.

Then I re-met a friend from my high school days, our football star, body builder, health nut. Next thing ya know I'm joining him on his (almost) daily walk - about 3.5 miles. Instead of RUNNING, try the lower impact version, a WALK with a friend. We started walking April 15th. A study has shown that a moderate-paced walk (~ 3 MPH) burns more FAT than a faster walk or running. Our body can only burn fat so fast & when it requires more energy NOW, it will tap into another source. I also spend some time with Ms Fonda's fun Low Impact Aerobics video! It's fun! (watch it for the comic relief guy, at least!)

I bought a new scale a week later, April 22. In 5 months I've lost 46 lbs, now averaging at least 10 per month. BTW muscle is 2.5 times as dense as fat, so muscle tone will show even when the scale says you're not losing that much.

What do I eat? LESS. Sodas are nasty to me now. I eat more plant than animal, try to avoid white food: refined starches & sugar! Water & juices to drink. If I feel like a PB & J (not YOU, Potbelly! ), it's fine & on whole wheat. I'm just practicing moderation with all things.

Did I mention that my "personal trainer"/walking partner is also my new boyfriend? I think being in love is inspirational!!!:love:

What do you all think of posting BEFORE & AFTER pix as we get more successful? Either here or in the journals or gallery.

[Edited on 26/9/2003 by Narulothwen]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 04:40
Narulothwen I think your success is fabulous and a great inspiration. Did you know the feeling of being in love can help with weight loss? So can laughter. Wonderful.

I don't know why I didn't just do this before... I can use the Weight Watchers meetings for accountability and a weekly weigh in, and do Atkins instead of their program! I shall be the most successful person there and they'll never know why *evil laughter*

Tasar *begining to see the light at the end of the tunnel*

P.S. I think before and after pic would be a great idea! It could be very inspiring for people just starting to decide to change their lives.

PPS. Anyone else here a binger? That's my particular problem.

[Edited on 9/26/2003 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 03:06
I'm doing a low carb diet, not really Atkins, though I occasionally buy an Atkins bar for a treat. Only for a treat, because I've learned from experience that if you buy em, you eat em!
I've lost 35 pounds since May, but the important part is that I've lost five inches off of my "potbelly" (You aren't the only one PB!) I measure more than weigh. A good book to read is Protein Power, it gives alot of hints, and also has a diet to follow. It's not as strict as Atkins.
Here are some low carb ideas and products:

Whole wheat tortillas: I can't remember the name of them, but they are only three carbs each. (my diet deducts fiber from the carb content) These are good for sandwiches, tacos, even with eggs!

When I make lasagna, I use cabbage leaves for my lasagna, instead of noodles. I found some low carb noodles at the store, but they were gross!

Sugar free jello....helps with the sweet tooth...plain has no carbs but if you put a little cool whip on it's a real dessert. Also, diet root beer with cool whip makes a good root beer float.

I do cheat.:evil: I have some beer when we go out. Miller Lite, or Ultra have the least carbs. The key is, when you cheat, get right back on it again. Like they say....it's a lifestyle change.

Don't forget your water drinking too...makes a big difference.

Whatever way you do it, good luck "losers!"
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 03:57
I'm only strict with this is because I want to get the weight off and then be able to take some time to work out a stable diet for me. I don't really find the diet a burden except for the lack of snacks--but now I've rediscovered Pork Puffs and crispy bacon rinds. They are a little like eating packing puffs but they make a good no-carb substitute for potato chips. I seem to have slowed a little but i'm now down 30 pounds since Aug 24. The atkins plan will take the rate of absorption into accoutand we arre always advised to eat anything that has easily digested carbs along with other foods so the the carbs aren't absorbed too fast.

The odd thing that I have noticed with this diet is that about an hour after each meal I feal charged , full of energy, and almost euphoric for a couple of hours. It's also wierd to weigh 260 and get compliments about how you look.. I don't seem to miss the carbs at all.
We are even starting to eat in restaurants again. If we go for breakfast we just forego the toast and hashbrowns. There are lots of choices for lunch and dinner that are low - carb so we don't have a problem. A chicken caesar salad or a greek burger and salad with no bun works out great.

I won't preach at all- I'm just glad that it works for me- and now a few co-workers have decided to give it a go.

As can be seen by the successes mentioned in this thread , there are many ways to achieve success. The trick is to find out what works for you.

I do think that it would be a lot harder if my wife wasn't also trying out the diet- although she has already moved on from the initial phase. Its a built in support group and it made it easy to get rid of all the higher carb foods in the house.

atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 08:53
I'm not trying to be contentious *at all* - but is anyone here worried about the possible health problems associated with the Atkins diet? While it does seem to work for many many people, I just can't get my head round a diet that promotes eating a good deal fo fats......
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 03:12
Yea- I wondered about that for a long time - but then it doesn't promote fats so much as it avoids carbohydrates- especially refined carbohydrates that are easily absorbed and spike our blood sugar lelevs. I don't think I'm eating any more fats than I was before I started on the Atkin's plan. Also where is the proof that eating fats causes us to be fat when we aren't eating all those carbs?
Humans probably evolved as hunter-gatherers and rarely ate anything that was high in easily absorbed carbs. I don't think we've ever learned to metabolize them properly and it shows in the steady increases we see in the average weight and number of overweight people that can be found in most industrialized countries. [ I guess I am preaching ] Go into a fast food restaurant and supersize the meal- you end up with more potatoes [starch] and more sugar sweetened pop. When a child has breakfast he/she often ends up with a glass of milk poured over a bowl of carbohydrates- or if you watch commecials he ends up with a breakfast substitute that is toasted and is nothing but carbohydrates [Pop tarts or toaster streudels]
I'll never forget the way one of my college professors referred to sugar. Dr. Taylor always called sugar 'White Death" and claimed that it did absolutely nothing good for us and we could go our entire lives without it and its terrible effects on our blood sugar and metabolism. I now think that sugar is somewhat addictive. Now that I more closely check the contents of packaged foods at the grocery store I'm amzed at just how many of them have aded sugar. I struggled to find decent salad dressings asthe big name food companies all add sugar to their dressing and even to their mayonnaise.
On Nov 6 I have an appointment with my Doctor and i'll arrange for bloodwork etc to be done- [I'll be fifty then and due for a major overhaul anyway] just so I can see if this higher fat- lower carb diet has a hamful or beneficial effect on me . I have beeen struggling for years to keep my blood pressure from going past the borderline danger levels [130/90] and I'm also curious as to whether that is still a problem.
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 04:49
Wow..this is really great! I am 5'7" tall and normally weigh 135 pounds. I injured my shoulder 2 years ago and have just recovered enough to go back to work. During that time off I have put on 75 pounds because my children were forever coming over with excellent goodies from all the restruants in town! I have just started getting back into excersise and hope to be back down to 135 in 6 months. It is so nice to see that I am not alone.... bless all of you that ride in my boat...
I have found that the Adkin's diet is not for me. I have found that if I eat what I want in moderation and walk everyday, I am losing faster......15 pounds in September so far....and the more I walk, the less I crave the naughty foods.....

[Edited on 06-04-03 by Emerita]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 11:03
PBHF: EEEEEK! Okay, I'm calm now. It's not that fats make you fatter necessarily, but that if you substitute them for the carbs you end up with the chance of cardiovascular problems! I dont' want to tell you about the number of slender people on this diet that we see with heart attacks because they have too much cholesterol buildup in their arteries! Yikes! Moderation, my friends, moderation. I'd watched those pork rinds and bacon things. That scares me half to death. Yeah, they taste wonderful and have no carbs, but I'd hate to see what your cholesterol level is! Yes, we were hunters/gatherers but we never had the amount of fat in our diets that we have today. It's not just what we eat, but the amount we eat and our tendency toward sedentary lifestyles. Back when we had to hunt down our food and grub for it, keeping weight on was a problem. Today, with its easy availability and all these technological developments, we don't move around nearly as much. Yes, refined sugars aren't good for us nor are too many carbohydrates, but total avoidance of any one particular food item isn't necessarily the way to go. I'm glad you've lost weight, I just don't want to lose you! I am anxiously awaiting those tests your doctor will be doing and will be happily surprised if your cholesterol is normal. We love ya and want ya around for a long time. :love:
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 02:38
Yes that was my problem when I was on the Adkins diet. I always over ate and I just didn't feel well and after trying everything out there, I realized it wasn't what I ate; it was how much I ate so I went back to basics of eating until I am satisfied instead of eating until it is all gone or because it tastes good and now I feel better again. For me excersise is the key. It is a natural appetite surpressant and bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. My cholestrol was 387 so I had to make a life altering decision and for me this works and I'll be watching what I eat forever, which I don't mind, because I eat what I want. I have to commend people that are sticking to a weight loss diet and losing weight. I could never do that. But caution is the key....and excersise, excersise, excersise.
~Eowyn~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 04:33
Hi! I'm only 14 years old so I shouldn't exactly go on too strict a diet, but I've got this question that's been bugging me for a while...

During my whole life, I've just about always been the tallest kid in my class (though not the fattest, definitely not!). Yet in seventh grade once my monthlies began, I didn't grow half an inch for about 16 months and then I grew about 3 inches over the last year in 8th grade. Yet after my big growth spurt, I weight 65 kg. and am 5'7'' while I used to be 5'4'''and weighed 55 kg. Is there something really wrong with that?

I do exercise regularly now, I'm on the volleyball team and have been having practice four days a week for a month now. My riding lessons are also starting again this Thursday and they are weekly yet my weight doesn't budge and I just don't look right in some sort of clothes and so on... Is it just my body type? Please tell me what's going on...
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 04:51
Being 5'7" at 143 pounds is more than fine. Being different than everyone else is what makes our species so intresting. You are not fat. Just continue to eat right and excersise. As you grow older your body will change in different ways. Embrace those changes. It is what makes us unique. Just don't look at all of those skinny models in the magazines. Many of them have health problems. I know two personally that because of the constant dieting that they have stopped having their periods and may never be able to have children.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 09:12
Personally I thought this was going to be about Dieters Uniting, not trying to pick apart one particular diet or another.... The last thing someone needs who is on a diet is someone else telling them how awful what they are doing is.

Atkins during the weight loss period is NOT good long term. No one ever said it was. But, there is no clinical evidence that I have been able to find in all of my research that say it will increase cholesteral levels. There are only opinions by exspurts (yes I meant to spell it that way : former drips under pressure)

Quite often a person who has carried extra weight needs to eat in an extreme manner to lose the weight faster than 2 lbs a month. (from my personal experience) It IS about changing you entire lifestyle. But I want to be thin fast and first. I know enough about practical nutrition, to keep myself healthy. I just want to be thin first. Whats wrong with that?
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 09:46
If you know about basic nutrition then you know that losing it fast is not the recommended thing to do...We ARE here to support one another, but those that choose to, may give their opinions. We also need to speak up if something sounds extreme. So relax and hear everyone out and do what is best for you. Having more than one idea in the back of your mind is always good.

I think the Adkins diet works for some people, for me it doesn't because it is not what I am eating; it is the amount that I am eating. That is why I have to do the moderation thing and excercise.

I do not belittle anyone for what diet they are on. If it works, that is great. I do however have to stress that losing to quickly on a fad diet can send the internal organs into chaos so we all need to be careful and remember to keep our vitimans and minerals up during the weight loss. and 99% of the time it is gained back, so, it has to be a lifestyle change for everyone that are chronic eaters.

Another thing is the Gastric bypass. I have two friends that needed to lose in excess of 250 pounds each. They had it done and they are doing great. They are on the road to health, and they both realize that this also is a lifestyle change and again this is not for everyone.

I commend everyone here that is trying to lose weight for their health. I have been a nurse for 35 years and I have seen alot of people trying to lose weight and hurting themselves so I speak from experience. Over the past 40 years I have lost an estimated 500 pounds( called yoyo dieting) only to gain it all back by not doing it carefully. This is a lifetime thing and can't be rushed. This is the only body we get for this life. It can't function to capacity if it is neglected and abused. There I also speak from experience because I am the number one offender and I am surprised and thrilled that my body hasn't turned on me yet.

[Edited on 06-04-03 by Emerita]
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 01:41
Ok couldnt resist this when I saw it on a joke site and instantly thought of this thread and since someone said laughter also helps with weight loss........

The Feline Diet
Most diets fail because we are still thinking and eating like people. For those us who have never had any success dieting. Well now there is the new Miracle Cat Diet! This diet will also work on humans! Except for cats that eat like people -- such as getting lots of table scraps -- most cats are long and lean (or tiny and petite). the Cat Miracle Diet will help you achieve the same lean, svelte figure. Just follow this diet for one week and you'll find that you not only look and feel better, but you will have a whole new outlook on what constitutes food. Good Luck!

DAY ONE

Breakfast: Open can of expensive gourmet cat food. Any flavor as long as it cost more the .75 per can -- and place 1/4 cup on your plate. Eat 1 bite of food; look around room disdainfully. Knock the rest on the floor. Stare at the wall for awhile before stalking off into the other room.

Lunch: Four blades of grass and one lizard tail. Throw it back up on the cleanest carpet in your house.

Dinner: Catch a moth and play with it until it is almost dead. Eat one wing. Leave the rest to die.

Bedtime snack: Steal one green bean from your spouse's or partner's plate. Bat it around the floor until it goes under the refrigerator. Steal one small piece of chicken and eat half of it. Leave the other half on the sofa. Throw out the remaining gourmet cat food from the can you opened this morning.

DAY TWO

Breakfast: Picking up the remaining chicken bite from the sofa. Knock it onto the carpet and bat it under the television set. Chew on the corner of the newspaper as your spouse/partner tries to read it.

Lunch: Break into the fresh French bread that you bought as your part of the dinner party on Saturday. Lick the top of it all over. Take one bite out of the middle of the loaf.

Afternoon snack: Catch a large beetle and bring it into the house. Play toss and catch with it until it is mushy and half dead. Allow it to escape under the bed.

Dinner: Open a fresh can of dark-colored gourmet cat food -- tuna or beef works well. Eat it voraciously. Walk from your kitchen to the edge of the living room rug. Promptly throw up on the rug. Step into it as you leave. Track footprints across the entire room.

DAY THREE

Breakfast: Drink part of the milk from your spouse's or partner's cereal bowl when no one is looking. Splatter part of it on the closest polished aluminum appliance you can find.

Lunch: Catch a small bird and bring it into the house. Play with on top of your down filled comforter. Make sure the bird is seriously injured but not dead before you abandon it for someone else to have to deal with.

Dinner: Beg and cry until you are given some ice cream or milk in a bowl of your own. Take three licks/laps and then turn the bowl over on the floor.

FINAL DAY

Breakfast: Eat 6 bugs, any type, being sure to leave a collection of legs, wings, antennae on the bathroom floor. Drink lots of water. Throw the bugs and all of the water up on your spouse's or partner's pillow.

Lunch: Remove the chicken skin from last night's chicken-to-go leftovers your spouse or partner placed in the trash can. Drag the skin across the floor several times. Chew it in a corner and then abandon.

Dinner: Open another can of expensive gourmet cat food. Select a flavor that is especially runny, like Chicken and Giblets in Gravy. Lick off all the gravy and leave the actual meat to dry and get hard.

CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 02:59
LOL, that cat diet is pretty good! I think my cat has been on it from time to time.

I had my doctor's appointment last week, after being on a low carb diet since May. My cholesterol is normal, and my blood pressure is a lot lower. I still watch my fat on a low carb diet, only low fat cheese, lean meat and fish, etc. I've decided to try adding more fruit, and see if I stop losing. I have a fridge full of veggies and fruits, so the whole family will benefit. My doc said my diet is okay, as long as I take a multivitamin, and make sure to take calcium also.

I'm glad that everyone is talking about what type of diet they are on, and giving suggestions. I've also yo-yo dieted through the years, and am very tired of it.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 08:12
That was quite funny! Thanks for sharing it. And thank you Emerita for understanding what I was trying to say. I too have been a nurse a very long time (since 1972) and have seen a great deal of what you speak of.

Tasar: I'm not belittleing anyone or anything, just asking that people use caution when dieting and not get focused on it being the be-all and end-all. I don't know but a few people who have no worries about weight, especially as we get older. I have no objections to a person wanting to lose weight, just hope and pray that they do it carefully and can do it consistantly. My major concern was the snacks based on high fat content, not the no-carb/low-carb thing. *sigh* Guess I'm losing my touch.

Anyway, kudos to those of you who have success with this diet and can continue to trim and slim themselves. It is support to care about the safety of others, not blindly saying, "Oh, that's wonderful, see how low you can go!" without thinking about the ramifications of how we go about it. Sorry... Just smarting a bit. I'm not attacking ANYONE for wanting to lose weight!

And Carol P, you're doing a great job. Moderation, folks, that's what it takes. Too much of anything, including dieting, isn't good for anyone. Okay, I'll be quiet now.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 03:13
I am forced to beg forgiveness, I have reread my post and it was entirely too abrasive.

On another point, I guess it really does depend on the person with Atkins. When I go on it, I become reletively sick of most types of fat very quickly. Maybe its just me? I tend to lean towards what I think of as clean fats... like in yogurt or cream or nuts. Honestly once I have been on it for a couple of weeks, my total intact drops sigificantly. Calories aren't really diminished, but the amount of food I eat is much smaller. One danger I might warn about is not eating enough on Atkins. The present of fats and protiens triggers a reaction in your brain similar to fasting, where eventually you don't feel as hungry.

I, in the past, have had to force myself to eat something because I feel so good and full of energy, that I forget I still need intake. On top of that its easier not to over eat when you don't eat, as twisted as that may sound. By the way, just so that last part doesn't alarm anyone, I am going to therapy.

Again my most sincere appologies for my last post, completely uncalled for.

Tasar
~Eowyn~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 03:27
Being 5'7" at 143 pounds is more than fine. Being different than everyone else is what makes our species so intresting. You are not fat. Just continue to eat right and excersise. As you grow older your body will change in different ways. Embrace those changes. It is what makes us unique. Just don't look at all of those skinny models in the magazines. Many of them have health problems. I know two personally that because of the constant dieting that they have stopped having their periods and may never be able to have children.

Thanks so much, I have to confess that I was quite disturbed when I outgrew my warbrobe... As for the model thing, could that also be because they have damaged internal organs due to a lack of some nutrition thing?
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 06:11
Entirely possible, ~Eowyn~. If you don't get all the minerals and vitamins from your diet and you don't take supplements, your body cannot function properly. Even young girls who do gymnastics have to be careful about this. Too little body fat on a girl will keep her from entering puberty properly and may impair future childbearing ability (not that everyone wants kids, but that should be a conscious choice, not taken away because of other choices made unknowingly). And no, at 143 and 5'7", you are not fat! When you body begins to mature you do put on padding in certain areas.

Weight has become such an issue in most of our societies that we forget that it's okay to have a little padding. Either extreme isn't healthy. And we all tend to go overboard sometimes in our efforts to make ourselves into how we want ourselves to look. I don't want to tell you how many times I've overexercised and awoken groaning in pain, vowing never to do it again, only to get right back up and... DO IT AGAIN! Eeek! LOL Shame on me. :blush:
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 11:22
Kinda changing the subject a little here...do any of you eat when you are under stress? I've had a rough afternoon, and all I can think about are the chocolate brownies that I bought for the kids' lunches. They are not very good brownies, either, just store bought ones! I know that I need to go get some veggies, or a glass of water to calm my cravings. My cravings get so much stronger when the kids are fighting, or the bills are late, or the hubby is crabby. Well, you get the picture.:blush:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email