Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
Post RE: Dieters unite - are you trying to lose weight?
on: September 30, 2003 04:29
Have strength Carol! I have found that if anything is stressing me the CoE Journals are a very good way to relieve stress and get some support. The people on this site are very caring.

On the eating front, I'm just the opposite. I enjoy intellectual stimulation, I crave it, even though, obviously I'm not the smartest nut on the tree. When my mind is not engaged, that is when I eat the most.

Anyone here watching the Dr. Phil thing?
Tasarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2003 09:19
Hi everyone...I have read this thread with great interest and I really do agree with Belle in developing a balanced life style. I think all of you are so brave to be facing the weight "thing" and trying to make a change.

I would like to add a little suggestion...stop driving your car (if possible) and walk every where. That means to work, the grocery store, school,or to the mall. Just try to make walking a part of your day. I have been doing this for years and have had no weight problem. I am 55, 5' 6", and weigh 120 ibs. However, I have a fine bone structure. I also lift weights 3x a week and do stretches every day.

I am a little nervous about cutting out carbs severely so I will eat whole wheat bread and have only 1/2 a sandwich for lunch. Eating less fat (but not totally fat-free) is a good idea. Staying away from sugar is also something I do, except I will eat a small bowl of ice cream once a week. However, eating less of everything has helped me maintain my weight, which has not changed since my college years. When I go out to eat, I usually will bring half of my dinner home and eat it the next day.

...almost forgot...calcium is an important part of my diet.

I hope these ideas help in some small way.

[Edited on 30/9/2003 by Tasarwen]
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: September 30, 2003 02:57
Heehee, I'd walk places if we didn't live out in the country. Everything here is at least ten miles away. But I do like to walk. Walk the dog, walk with the kids while they ride their bikes (my bike is broken). We have some nice parks around here with bike trails, so that is nice. I dread it getting so cold out. I've already had to scrape my windows. One thing I will not do is join a health club. Every time I've ever joined one, I feel motivated at first, and then I get to feeling like it's a chore. It was nice when I worked at a health club and had a free membership!
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: September 30, 2003 03:04
I've lost exactly 45 lbs. and quite a few inches since the beginning of June, and I'm doing it the old-fashioned and only right way: self-disciplined, healthy eating plus lots of exercise.

I found a plan that was absolutely a Godsend--it's called the South Beach Diet--not so much of a diet, but a way to healthy living. It's similar to Atkin's in that carbs are monitored, but it's much more sensible and moderate, stressing a balanced diet and steering away from overly processed "foods". Saturated fats are also kept to a minimum, so no bacon or pork rinds. I've discovered that sugar in all its nefarious forms, along with refined flour/rice, are my enemies, making me depressed and ill. I am much more alert, not depressed at all, and have a thousand times more energy--not to mention all the sizes I've dropped!

Just as if not more importantly, I joined the Y and do water aerobics 5 mornings a week, stretches, and weight training; and am adding Pilates and yoga also.

Anyone wanting to know about the South Beach plan, contact me privately.
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 02:20
As I can see it...we are all in this together and we are in good company indeed. Thanks Belle, glad to know I am not alone.

On the Adkins diet, you can eat Gluten bread. It has no carbs and is very tasty. Any bakery should carry it.

Coming here and reading has really helped me. I am down one pants size!!! You guys have helped me to stay out of the fridge!

Scothia....I am doing it the way you are.....glad to see that it is working for someone else

[Edited on 06-04-03 by Emerita]
Tasarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 07:31
CarolP...It sounds like you are on the right track. Just getting outside with the dog and kids is the way to go. I think it will really pay off in the end. I know what you mean about the cold. I live in Montana and I am a real whimp when it comes to cold, but I still bundle and get out there.

Scothia...Way to go! Your life style seems great to me! Feeling better is a lot better than being really thin...don't you think?

Emerita...Thanks for the tip about Gluten bread. I will have to check that one out.
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 02:10
Everyone remember on thing .....Think not that your are going on a diet. Think of it as making yourself feel better and remember that it all starts with a single step. Out the door ...a walk down the driveway and next time around the block. Attempt to lose 2 pounds at a time, not 20 . After 20 minutes of excerise, you start burning stored fat. Don't count the calories that you are eating. Just eat one less forkful at each meal and you will definitely notice a difference. Don't weigh everyday. It will depress you. I weigh once a month....ok...sorry. I'll get off my soapbox.....I just know how good I feel when I lose and I want everyone to have that great feeling......... :heart:

Ivorwen_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 05:40
I'm trying to lose weight. I want to surprise my brother the next time he sees me. I want to let you all know that you have my support. YOU ALL ROCK!
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 01:37
Does anyone have any ideas on low calorie snacks or calorie burning workouts? I spend all my time working at my local stables and riding my horse, but I seem to have put on weight, not lost it. I would also like to know more about the link between types of food and depression, what should I cut down on to start feeling less depressed? I don't want to lose too much weight, I just want a flatter stomach. As a female this is hard because the weight naturally comes off the top half of your body first, can I change this? And what should I weigh as a 5' girl aged 15 years and a month?
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 10:27
Walking is the best areobic workout there is. Hmmm, low calorie snacks is a hard one. I know beef jerky has no carbs or sugar and practically no fat. I like the Teriaki beef jerky. It has a sweet taste to it. I make my own.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 10:31
Personally I would suggest you speak to your doctor before starting any sort of a 'diet' other than eating in a balanced manner, since you are 15. Secondly, always remember muscle weighs more than fat, and it does take awhile for the effects good exercise is having on your figure to manifest. For a flatter stomach I would suggest keeping up with the horseback riding, its great for all your major muscle groups, and add Pilates. Pilates mat workouts (without the machine) really focuses on you back and abdominal muscles, it helps your posture and helps flatten a stomach.

Honestly I really don't think you should be worrying about what you 'should' weigh, for my height I have been told 4 different things, from 105- 130.... and yes all four of these ideal weights came from doctors.

Foods that can make you depressed? hmmm, any that shoot your blood sugar levels really high, or have cafine would be prime candidates. Aren't there certain additives that can also have this effect? *is asking one of the resident nurses* All the help I can offer is to say eat a nutritious diet with processed food cut out as much as is realistic for you. Eat it as close to the way it came off the animal or out of the ground/tree as possible.

Tasar

PS: Over 5 weeks on weight watchers I lost a total of 5 lbs.. with exercise and feeling very hungry. 2 weeks on Atkins 9 lbs with exercise. Whoo hoo!... now only 80 more to go.... (although my goals are ten lbs at a time)
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 11:08
From a resident nurse, you are so right, Tasar...15 is to young to be dieting. Rebecca,at 15 you are in a constant growth flux, so please do not be worried about what you weigh. Your body will change alot before it is grown. Eat fresh fruits and veggies. Eating alot of sugar additives can cause depression so when you need a sugar rush go to fruit, like peaches and grapes. They are great antioxidents and are good for your skin and emotional well being. But don't go crazy and eat a dozen peaches all at once. Balance is the key. Love yourself and feed yourself right. This is the only body you will get and it has to last at least 80 years. Stay fit by eating well, and you should have a healthy life. Don't care what your peers want you to do. You are your body's best friend....keep it safe and healthy....

Tasar! That is so great...makes you feel good to lose weight without being hungry.

CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: October 19, 2003 09:03
Tasar, that's great that you are starting to lose!

Here's why I'm posting today...I got a new lo-carb cookbook, and I'm trying out some new recipes. I'll let everyone know how they turn out. There are some great recipes, using mostly normal things...not expensive specialty ingredients. I'm going to try a casserole tonight.
falather
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2003 10:04
Hi everyone!

I think that this thread is a great idea. I'm trying to lose weight, too. I've lost about three pants sizes in the past five months, but I haven't lost any weight on the scale. I have been doing Weight Watchers, and exercising, but I am wondering how I can lose inches and not pounds.

If you're looking for a way to cut calories and fat, I found out that if you buy the prepackaged brownie/cake mix at the store and replace the wet ingredients (eggs, oil...) with Diet Coke, you can make baked goods without as much fat and grease in them. (But you should still grease the bottom of the pan lightly- found that out the hard way! ) You have to cook them about twice as long as if you made them the traditional way, but they taste exactly the same, but have less calories and fat. I actually like them better made this way, because they don't taste as oily. It's good for when you just need a little treat, but don't want to go overboard.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 19, 2003 11:05
You can do that when you exercise. Muscle mass weighs more than fat so you can lose inches while not moving the needle on the scale. It's more important how you feel and look than the number of pounds you weigh.
falather
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2003 02:54
It seemed a little weird to me, but what you're saying makes sense. I do feel better when I exercise, and I'm actually having a lot of fun, too.
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 12:48
Emerita wrote:
Everyone remember on thing .....Think not that you are going on a diet...
I don't know the meaning of that four letter word!
I think our PB has been silent too long. I'd like to hear how everyone's still doing, especially with the holiday eating around this time of year.
Still practicing moderation in food & exercise. The walks get tougher now that it's getting cold. We have snow now, so may have to take it indoors for a day or two.
My update: after almost 8 months at this new lifestyle, I have lost 64 lbs. I have learned that a plateau is NOT a quitting place. If you hit one, hang on & keeping at it. The weight WILL go away. Endorphins are my friends. I'm still in love & still losing. Our class reunion is in 2 weeks. We've been out of high school for 30 yrs & I'm very near the same size I was at gradutation. I don't have to worry about being an embarrassment to my guy (who was Prom King our senior year). And for the first time ever I weight less than both my daughters (ages 20 & 17). NEVER thought that would happen!
Here's the only decent pix I have... Dare you all to post yours!
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 06:19
NARULOTHWEN!!!! You look fantastic!!! I bet you feel great! Keep us posted.... My reunion is in 8 months. I should have all my excess weight of then....hopefully

[Edited on 10/11/03 by Emerita]
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 07:38
Thank you, Emerita, but I'm only about half way to where I ought to be. I intend to get there, too. (BTW - HOW did you edit your post BEFORE it was posted??? Check that date... :dizzy: )

So you & I & Carol have class reunions to inspire us... Wonder what got other to become losers? Care to share, anyone?

[Edited on 17/12/2003 by Narulothwen]
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 08:07
LOl...I have never been able to figure out the time thing here.. their calander is wrong too.. I just stopped paying attention to it...lol
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 02:36
Lol, I just realized I hadn't really posted back here in a while. I'm on the same diet as PB...and I don't know how he's doing, but I've lost about 30 pounds! I haven't felt this good in almost three years! Hehe, it's quite nice to be losing all the weight, gaining some muscle, and dropping two or three dress sizes

Well, if you'd like to know what inspired me to become a 'loser' as you put it Narulothwen, it's quite simple. I felt guilty about my weight...and my clothes seemed to keep getting larger, and finally wanting to be lighter in volleyball inspired me the most I think. It's worked out so well!! Keep up the good work everyone!
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: December 15, 2003 04:29
Naru, you look so good! I'll have to dig some photos up after I hit my next goal, which is minus 50. Right now, I've lost 46. We are going to a Christmas party on Friday, and I am wearing close fitting clothes instead of tummy hiding clothes. My tummy is getting alot smaller! Let's just all hang in there through the temptations of the holidays!!
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 04:44
Holiday eating reminder: MODERATION! Eat a LITTLE of the things you like. ENJOY!

Thanks for the compliments & encourgagements, ladies!! Thanks to PB for starting the thread! I love it!
Carol, I can't wait to see your update fotos! Get out the slinky-sexy clothes!!!
Macilie~Undomiel, looks like you found your "happy thought" to a healthier life! Welcome!
Someone once said that nothing tastes as good as losing extra weight feels. Gotta agree.

I'd like to share a site I subscribe to & a recent daily hint. Dr. Andrew Weil is a radically different doctor. He believes most ills are fixable through proper eating rather than drugs, surgery, etc.

Tip: Losing Weight the Weil Way
The only secret to successful weight loss is this: Eat less and exercise more. Of course, this is much easier said than done, but the fact is that none of the supposed breakthroughs in weight control and none of the fad diets that come and go have made one iota of difference to our national epidemic of obesity. Here are some useful tips for successful weight loss:
-Pay attention to the total calories you consume daily.
-Replace high-fat foods with low-calorie ones, such as vegetables.
-Be aware that alcohol has calories.
-Avoid artificial sweeteners and synthetic fat substitutes.
-Avoid "magic bullet" supplements.
-Exercise to burn excess calories and to increase energy.
-Combat anxiety with relaxation exercises - not food.
-Accept yourself as less than perfect, but still beautiful.

http://www.drweilselfhealing.com/

And now for the BIG (or is it little) news:
This morning, for the first time in my adult life, I am under 200 lbs!
And to celebrate, Steve & I are going to see RotK! Okay, we were gonna go see it anyway, but I told him reaching this goal would be my day to celebrate!!! Even with snow and below freezing weather, we've only lost one day's walk. He is a merciless trainer & I love him!!!

Happy Holidays, everyone!:love:

[Edited on 17/12/2003 by Narulothwen]
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 06:27
I'm in. I have a really hard time loosing weight. I'm one of these weird folks where I'll loose and then I'll gain, then I'll loose again. I feel kind of like a yo-yo.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:17
yankee, yo-yo dieting is a very big problem. Myself, and my sisters have had problems with that since we were young adults. When people diet, lose weight fast, and then quit dieting, they tend to put on the weight again. Sometimes they even gain more than they lost with the diet. I've done it a few times. It's really hard to stick to a diet, as you get older it's even harder.

Naru, congratulations! I'm so happy for you! Hope you and your trainer keep up the good work. As for me, my excercise for the day was climbing up and then going down the slide with various kids at work. (in case people don't know, I work at McDonald's in the play area) My legs are killing me!
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 08:07
Aw, Carol! You get to PLAY all day & get paid for it! lol I know it has to be rough. NO adult has the energy to keep up with a child!
Thanks & my "trainer" loves me & will keep me in balance! :love:

Look what I found connected to me email. I HAD to share it. I think the "small changes" may make a BIG difference for some of us.
28 Small Changes That Will Make a Big Difference
By Melissa Sperl for WeightWatchers.com

Weight loss requires that you change the way you eat, the amount you exercise, the way you think about food, and more. That's a lot! And when you're looking at such a huge step from square one, it can seem really scary.
The key is to break the weight loss process down into smaller steps, so success will seem more accessible. As you accomplish each "mini-goal," you'll feel like a winner. That sense of accomplishment is great motivation for meeting more mini-goals, and more, until suddenly you're at the weight you've always wanted.
"Making small changes one at a time is a great strategy," agrees Dr. Howard Rankin, A Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, psychologist and author of Inspired to Lose (Step Wise Press, 2001). "It's not overwhelming, and it results in a slower, more steady weight loss."
Remember: When it comes to weight loss, slow and steady wins the race. It's the pace that will help you get to your goal, then stay there.

Do Sweat the Small Stuff
A bunch of small changes add up to big results. Maybe cutting the cream out of your coffee seems like a small feat to you. But once you've got that down you can add another small feat, then another.
"Baby steps are the way to go," said one WeightWatchers.com user. "Especially when you're just starting the plan. There seem to be so many things to do, it's overwhelming. Little things become habits, and eventually the whole process doesn't seem so overwhelming."
We asked people like you — on the WeightWatchers.com message boards and in Meetings rooms — what small steps they've taken in order to see their way toward their weight goals. This is what they said...

...About Small Eating Changes
· Water, water, water, water. (Your skin will look great, too!)
· Order half portions at restaurants, or share a full portion with somebody. Or ask for a to-go container when you order your food, and pack up half the portion before you even start eating.
· Cut back on butter and mayo.
· Limit fried foods to once or twice per week.
· Use less or no sugar in your coffee or tea.
· Replace ground beef with Boca products or ground turkey.
· Try at least one new food every week. If you're bored with what you're eating, you're more likely to give up.
· Eat fresh, raw veggies instead of chips with sandwiches.
· Measure your portions until you're sure you know what a cup, a half-cup, and a tablespoon look like. This will help you practice portion control, an essential key to weight-loss success.
· Try not to drink high-calorie beverages.
· Dip your fork in a side of salad dressing before each bite, instead of pouring it directly on your salad. You'll find that you are satisfied with much less than you usually put on.
· Find healthy alternatives to all your favorite foods.
· If you don't really love it, don't eat it.
· Never eat out of a bag or box. Take out a measured/counted quantity of food and put it in a bowl. This way, you know exactly how much you're having.
· Always eat something for breakfast. {Fruit is GREAT here! ->Naru}
· Read food labels. Check serving sizes. {And SODIUM content & fat & check for GOOD stuff like vitamins & protein... read it ALL! ->Naru}
· Add vegetables to everything.
· Plan meals in advance; use that information to make out a complete shopping list.
· Give guests food to take home.
· Write down everything you eat and drink, without fail.
· Plan ahead for special occasions by accounting for higher-calorie foods before you eat them.

Hope it helps! Happy Holidays!!

[Edited on 20/12/2003 by Narulothwen]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 02:44
Some random wandering thoughts;

When I started this thread I'd already lost 25 pounds and I was rather proud of it. Well, I'm now down 60 pounds and still doing rather well. I lost 35 in the first 35 days but I'm allowing myself a lot more leeway in my diet and only trying to lose a pound or two per week. According to BMI charts I've seen I still should lose another 35 pounds to get to a proper Body Mass Index so I'll keep going until then.
The biggest change is in my waist, of course . The last pair of jeans I bought had a 54 inch waist and I am currently in need of suspenders with an old pair, I found buried in a drawer, with a 40 inch waist.
[My wife has also lost about 30 pounds and she is still counting carbs but as she is where she wants to be she is taking in up to 50 grams per day and staying at her current weight.]

I wish I had some sage advice for other dieters, but , frankly, I tried for many years to successfully lose weight - only to always end up heavier- before I stumbled across a system that works for me. The added pressure of not wanting Jasmyn, Meagan and Katelyn to think of me as "fat" grandpa may also have helped spur me on.
The only suggestion I can make is to keep trying until you find out what works for you- and then keep with it. Don't get discouraged if the first few diets you try don't do it for you. If you really want to take control of your body, you'll eventually find a way. That may be what this is all about- taking actual control of your body and how it will look.

I now realize that I'm always going to be susceptible to gaining weight so I'm going to have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life. Luckily I'm pretty well adjusted to no longer eating breads, potatoes, rice and pasta and am getting along fine without them. I now think of it more as a lifestyle change than as a diet. I'll have to stay on it forever so I need to make it into something that I can stay with.
I do feel that any diet that leaves you always feeling hungry and in need of more will not work. You'll always be thinking of food and you'll never get past that. I've been lucky so far in that I've been able to eat enough each meal to feel full and not in need of more. in fact I've noticed that in the past few months , the actuall size of a meal I eat has diminished . I never have any urge for'seconds' anymore . I guess that I have managed to shrink my stomache a bit without even trying.

I now buy some of the "Low-Carb' foods available at various outlets, like GNC -for example, and supplement my meals with them . They are too expensive to have on a regular basis so they are rationed a lot. I'll make low-carb pancakes once or twice each week - as a breakfast treat , and I'll have a lowcarb brownie or chocolate bar for dessrt in the evening. We also buy low-carb tortillas and I'll have a wrap once in a while using one. I think that adding them to my meals had added to my success as I probably couldn't last on this diet without increasing the variety and giving myself an occasional treat.

We go out to eat a couple of times per week and have a had gretat success in finding meals that fit with the low-carb idea- even if they aren't quite as low as I'd prepare at home. It usually ends up being a meat item and a salad and some cooked vegetables. I'll simply substitute the salad for any potatoes on the meal or have a burger with no bunand the restaurants are usually happy to accomodate. A few will even serve a burger with a few large lettuce leaves that I can use as a substitut bun. Sue [ my wife] can have a little more variety and she'll often have a fajita or a wrap , as she can now afford the carbs in the bread.

One other side benefit is the compliment I now get from people over my success. I am unused to that so i probably don't react well exceppt to thank then ad tell them that I still have a ways to go.

So many people tell me that they just couldn't go on this diet, that they are too much in need of their bread, potatoes, and pasta to give them up. I just ask them if they are also in need of the health problems from all that extra weight they carry from not giving them up.

Before I started on this diet change on august 24th, I was in love with potatoes and bread. French fries, mashed home fires and potato chips were regulars in my meals and snacks. I would think nothing of eating a 200 gram bag of chips, with dip, at a single sitting!! I also ate lots of toast, with breakfast, and smothered with peanut butter as an after work snack. It took a long time to get used to giving up those particular items. I occasionally have a low-carb tortilla and we have bought some low-carb breads - but they are so expensive that we use them only as occasional treats.
For a while I started using crispy pork rinds as a potatoe chip substitute - but the flavour just didn't do it for me so I just gave them up.

Christmas is coming very soon and I've decided that I am taking that single day off of my diet . I've lost enough weight that I can afford a day off and I'm not going to make anyone go through the hassle of the extra work involved with fulfilling my desires , while they are also being very busy preparing a traditional Christmas feast. I'll eat potatoes and dressing on that day - and I'll have a slice of pie for dessert. I have taken an occasional day off before and ended up with little desire to eat anything more than small quantities of the food that don't meet my new standards. I figure that , at most, it will take me three days after The meal to get myself back on track, and I can afford that now.
I'd suggest that anyone else on a diet, going out for christmas dinner, do the same. Take the day off and just enjoy yourself. As long as you go immediately back to what worked for you there will probably be little harm in one uncounted meal.
Legolas~Archerelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 02:34
I'm trying to loose a little weight.... although lately I've been a bit depressed about my upcoming surgery and have eaten some stuff (like cookies) that I need to try to stay away from. After surgery I'll probably continue my bad eating habbits for acouple of days or so... the surgery will be in my mouth, so I may be eating lots of icecream!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 07:42
I should add a bit to my last post. I haven't started on a big exercise program, although we do have a 'stepper' and I use it every day. Where I work I do walk about 10 miles per day so that probably does help.
I am also glad to see so many successes written about here. there is one thing that troubles me a bit now- WHAT AM I TO DO WITH ALL THE EXTRA SKIN??
I used to have a double chin- It has been replaced with what I call a 'wattle" My gut is just a mass of hanging skin now also. I do some crunches to firm it up a bit but i'm starting to think about having the excess folded over and sewn into a pouch. I know the skin under my chin will always be there- but I'm growing my beard back to take care of that. I just hope that i can do something with the extra belly skin I now have [maybe a lampshade?]
These are of course minor worrries as I know that, despite the skin issue, my over all health is much better and I'm sure that I've increased my life expectancy now.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 04:18
I didn't keep to my guidelines all that welll over the Christmas season but I still didn't go to far except for the 24th and 25th but I managed to lose three more pounds between Dec 23rd and today- I've now lost 63 pounds.

In detail - I gained 6 pounds by the 27th and lost 8 inthe next week - to make up for it.
I'll get back on my routine once i get back to normalcy on Jan 10th when i go back to work.

[Edited on 5/1/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 12:11
PB, you find the answer to excess skin, let me know! That is my biggest gripe! Get healthy & still can't wear a swimsuit because I look like a shar pei pup or a giant golden raisin! ARRRRRRRGHHH!!! I am researching the skin elasticity issue, trying th find the secret to make it firm up (after a lifetime of being over-stretched!). I'll let you know if I discover the Fountain of Youth!

Meet my friend Dr. Joe: www.joesrevolution.com Dr. Joe Klemczewski is an expert in nutrition & how the body uses food & he's a bodybuilder. His family has always struggled with being overweight (Including him) but he's learned how to beat it. I saw him talk locally. WOW! To put his message in a nutshell, eat the RIGHT carbs, go easy on the fats & make it easy for your body to burn off the excess.

Also check this: Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods
http://www.health.harvard.edu/hhp/article/content.do?name=WN0104d from Harvard University. Lots of good info there.

BEWARE THE YO-YO! Did you know that when you lose & gain repeatedly you lose most water (& often lean muscle) but usually gain back ONLY FAT! NOT healthy!!! Please try not to do that to yourself!

I still wanna see some pictures, losers! PB, you should be looking good, man! Show us what you ain't got!
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 11:51
Aw, c'mon, PB, post that recent wedding pic of you (& the family) over here so everyone can see it!!
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 06:38
Well, for teenager, I am nowhere over-weight, but I have this little "tummy" as I call it. I weigh 128 (lost two pounds because of not eating because of a cold) but I want to get down to 126 or lose the little tummy. Any ideas? When I exercise, i gain weight because I gain muscle, and I don't lose the fat. I'm too young to starve myself into fitness! Help? Thanx.
Mirielda
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 08:44
I am not over-weight but I wanted to lose some weight. So I started dieting in the control of a nutritionist. I lost like 9 kgs. in 2 and a half months. But it kept getting harder and harder and I began to feel bad. My diet was based on the calories. I had to know the calories of the things I ate. I could ate a tiny bit of chocolate instead of an apple for example. But I had nervous breakdowns. I think dieting really damaged my physhiologically. I began thinking about what to eat next. I was eating breakfast and thinking what I should eat in the luch and stuff like that. I realized that I was always thinking about what to eat, food. Whenever I had the chance I began to over-eat. So I put on 4 kgs back in a month or so. Several days ago I bought a book by a Turkish doctor. What he said really impressed me. He says that we eat to get the energy that our body needs to function. He says that people who managed to lose weight and stay in that healthy shape are the people who eat when they are hungry and stop when they are not hungry. He says that people who follow a diet eventually puts back the weight they have lost. So if you want to lose weight and stay in your healthy figure you just have to eath when you feel hungry and stop when you are not hungry anymore. Then he explains that the body will understand that there is no need to store fat because it gets all the energy whenever it needs it. So eventually it will begin to throw away the storage that it has stored before. I think that is really logical. He tells that newborn babies are great examples of how a regular person should be. You know how babies cry when they are hungry and they don't accept food when they are not hungry. Besides you can eat whatever you want when you are hungry. So I think I'll do what he says. I can't lose anything.
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 01:48
Well, I haven't been eating very much for the past 3-4 days, and I have lost 5 pounds. I hope that if I keep restricting my diet and keep exercising I will get low enough that I won't gain it all back later. Thanks for the help!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email