Register

<< First45678
Author Topic:
bowman
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Homeschoolers
on: May 10, 2007 07:18
im homeschooled, i have been homeschooled all the 13 years of my life.

[Edited on 14/5/2007 by bowman]
Fingolfin~of~Beleriand
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2007 03:46
And the list goes on and on. Hey! A song came to mind!
bowman
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 04:25
nightfairy, the way it works for me is that we have testing at the end of the year, and if we dont progress in 2 years we get sent to school. i cant anser the other questions.
nightfairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 07:38
nightfairy, the way it works for me is that we have testing at the end of the year, and if we dont progress in 2 years we get sent to school. i cant anser the other questions.
Thank you, bowman, that does indeed clear up a lot! Maybe there'll be others to answer the remaining questions or maybe post some links with info?

hugs
nightfairy
bowman
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2007 11:42
oh, and to answer the question about the teachers. i dont have a teacher. my teacher is my book. lol see the way it is for me is that it has lesson helps and stuff like that. and there was also this thing i did one year where you put in a dvd of a real teacher talking and doing the lesson, and you would have a book, and it was like you were in a classroom only you wernt. but yeah right now i do not have a teacher. but sometimes if i really dont get something my dad helps me out. hope this helps!
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2007 03:39
I was homescooled, though I graduated some time ago (that makes me old LOL) and there are several answers to your questions, Nightfairy.

Some families homeschool because of religious reasons, yes, but some homechool because of the problems in the public school arena i.e. peer pressure, drugs, violence, boy-girl relationships, etc.

As far a control on teachers goes, every state in the US is different. Some states require testing, some don't. Usually a curriculum is purchased by the parent, and this provides the standard for the student.

Unfortunately, in the states where there are loose guidelines, there are kids/families that slip through the cracks, and don't get educated. This is not the government's fault, however, it is the parent's fault... As homechool parents, they take on the responsibility for their child's welfare and education.

On the whole, though, homechoolers are becoming more widley respected, and, on average, do better on standardized tests than most public school students. I personally believe this is because of the individualized attention that the parents are able to provide.

Hope that answers your question!
nightfairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2007 10:48
It does, thanks a lot for taking your time, Rodwen!
As I said, the concept of homeschooling is completely unusual over here, as school attendance is compulsory.
With a growing problem of neglective parents in the, well, 'underprivileged social stratum', that seems the best way to me, because it puts at least some pressure on those parents to get some education into their kids.

A few years ago there were a bunch of parents who tried to sue for the permission to homeschool their kids (for religious reasons) but they lost their case.

Some families homeschool because of religious reasons, yes, but some homechool because of the problems in the public school arena i.e. peer pressure, drugs, violence, boy-girl relationships, etc.
Why are those a problem? And what has school got to do with them?
Sorry if I seem thick here, but thinking back to the time when I started to get interested in boys...well, I would've found them without school, too

See, the main problem I have with wrapping my mind around the concept of homeschooling is that I get the impression that it is majorly mistrust that leads to it - mistrust in the school system, the state and, last but not least, the kids themselves. It looks a bit like the parents just want total control, you know, over what their kids do and what they learn, not trusting them to withstand pressures or 'dubious' topics.

I am aware, though, that this may be totally wrong. I have never been to the US, I don't really know how bad your public schools can get. Over here, we hardly have private schools, so basically everyone (apart from a few rich kids that get sent away to boarding schools) attends the public ones. They differ in their quality and the level of 'problems' of whatever kind, mostly depending on the area they're in...but so far, they 'produce' all the little ants in our society, the brilliant ones as well as the...ah...not so brilliant ones.

And then, we don't have that certain religious movement here at all, that - at least in what we hear from the media, which is not always the best source of information, I know - seems to be so adamant about keeping their kids away from the 'lies' that are supposedly told at school. But I better not go into that here.
I just wat to make clear that this kind of thing is completely foreign here and would be considered a very strange reason to want homeschooling.

Thanks again for taking it upon you to answer my questions, Rodwen!

big hugs
nightfairy

...oh and as for being old....my schooldays have been over for more that eleven years now and though I sometimes feel old, I don't really think I am

[Edited on 8/11/2007 by nightfairy]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2007 12:05
Why are those a problem? And what has school got to do with them?
Sorry if I seem thick here, but thinking back to the time when I started to get interested in boys...well, I would've found them without school, too

Some people do consider relationships at the age of 6 to be a problem LOL. Or for children in general. This is one of my personal beliefs- relationships do not need to be an issue untill one is ready to marry! It can cause a lot of heartbreak and stress in an already stressed school scedule!

Another reason for homeschooling that I forgot to mention is travel. A lot of famillies that I know travel alot- missionaries, military, etc, and they homescool to avoid the issue of transfering between schools.
nightfairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2007 12:36
Some people do consider relationships at the age of 6 to be a problem LOL. Or for children in general.
All right so I was on the wrong track here....I was thinking of teenagers Haven't heard of any relationships between 6 year-olds, though, that were anything but completely innocent.

For those who have to travel a lot there's homeschooling, too, over here...but that's very, very few people, like diplomats and showpeople. Our military staff are not moving around as much, I think. The schooling subjects and their contents are not questionable, though, the parents have no say in it.

Thanks for the interesting insights!

[Edited on 8/11/2007 by nightfairy]
Nrath
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2007 04:45
oo! Cool, homeschool thread! I've been homeschooled for my entire life.
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2007 05:36
I'm so happy I'm homeschooled. I don't have to worry about peer pressure or drama or... well a lot of other things. I have great homeschooled (and public schooled) teens my age. I don't consider myself anti-social, as many people think homeschooled kids are since they are 'locked up' in their homes all day. :rolleyes:

I also don't think homeschooling is for everyone. Some kids do better in public school, and vice versa. It also depends on the parents and how committed they are to teaching their children.
bowman
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2007 11:56
im homeschooled at the moment. but i will probably be transferring for a private christian school in january. either that or just go in next school year.
nightfairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 01:30
Just in case anyone is interested -
After a series of verdicts against parents who sued for the permission to homeschool their kids for religious reasons, the highest court has just recently decided that parents who insist on withdrawing their children from school (remember, school attendance is compulsory over here) can rightfully have parts of the right of custody withdrawn from them to make sure the children get to school.
Trigger for this was the case of a family who had wanted to homeschool their kids and went as far as to remove the children from the country altogether to make sure the authorities wouldn't get to them.

Couldn't find any impartial newspage on that in English, so, well, if anyone is interested, you might want to google and find out more for yourself.

hugs
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 05:38
I am homeschooled, though I only started this year (my junior year) and I'm having a problem staying motivated. Other than that I'ts actually going pretty well.
rivendell20
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2008 09:34
I was homeschooled!!!! Graduated '06....

BTW----fyi, I used to be on CoE as 'rivendell19'.....
Anira_Telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2008 05:24
I've been homeschooled since Pre-K.I love it cause I get to do all my work on a laptop. :disco:
DwarfMaster
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2008 11:27
YEAAAH!! I've been homeschooled my whole life!
Sknot08
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2008 02:45
I'm homeschooled. It's AWESOME!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 09, 2008 04:17
Well look at a famous homeschooler Chris Paolini the fantasy writer who wrote the Inheritance series. He graduated High School at 15 and was a best selling author at 19. In America we are free to raise our children as we see fit and granted we do have rules if you prove to be an unfit parent then there are consequences. But my daughter homeschools and at times I was concerned but my daughter is a college graduate with education as her major. I am a school teacher and check all the time to make sure they are learning. Example my 5 year old grandson asked my daughter yesterday if Obama or John McCain had been voted in as president yet. I can understand if you are from a different country you would not understand our zeal that we have for freedom of choice.
Narylfiel_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2008 05:43
I've been homeschooled all my life & I am just wrapping up a couple courses for Grade 12. HOMESCHOOLING ROCKS!
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2009 10:18
I have been homeschooled all my life and will continue to do so through highschool. I feel very privileged to be educated at home and thank God for the blessing.
Pippin_Luv
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2009 12:01
^ You took the words right outta my mouth.

It's been my first week of high school homeschool!
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2009 04:09
I'm homeschooled and have been my whole life. Homeschooling is awesome!!
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 10, 2009 03:12
I've been homeschooled since partway through 6th grade. I love it! :love:
Enel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2009 05:39
I've been homeschooled my entire life. Wouldn't have it any other way! I was able to graduate two years early.
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2009 07:53
Yay more homeschoolers! WOOT! I graduate in May... scary! But I have really enjoyed being homeschooled! Though I have not known anything else. It is kinda lonely at times because here in Northern VA I can't meet new people... very sad.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2009 02:43
wow lots of homeschoolers here! I'm homeschooled, we go with a set program, which has a 'classical system'. I'm a summa student (taking honors in all the arts related courses, history, literature, composition...), and I have to write three essays weekly. I also take Latin, this is my 5th year of taking it!

I love being homeschooled!
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2009 01:16
Does (has) anyone here use(d) Kolbe Academy's homeschool curriculum?
Allene1
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2009 09:33
It was great! We had/have a whole community of homeschoolers here and they hold classes and do feild trips and even have a drama.

Regards

Allene

____
dossier surendettement
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2009 11:39
That sounds great Allene! :wave: I don't think that I've met you yet, so nice to meet you!

Do/did you all use the same curriculum?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: November 14, 2009 06:27
My daughter, who used to frequent this forum, has chosen to homeschool my granddaughter. A combination of reasons - less chance to get sick from kids who share their diseases and the fact of revisionist history that makes us both ill. I support completely. My granddaughter gets plenty of socialization elsewhere without all the stress of peer pressure etc one gets from the public school system.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 04, 2010 05:06
I'm homeschooled! Have been since first grade. Public school and I just don't mix...

I use Alpha-Omaga's SOS,on the computer,and it's working great for me. ^.^

I hate it when people ask about being "socialized". You socialize a dog,not your kids! I get plenty of human interaction at work and at church(And CoE,of course! ),and I'm as comfortable talking with people older than me,and younger than me as I am with my peers.

THIS video deals with most homeschooler's pet peeves...
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2010 08:00
I had to sneek a peak at the homeschooler's thread.
I really liked that video!
And coming from my experience of public school and reading your comments, I have to say, I really wish I was homeschooled. Maybe I would've had a much better education. I think my junior year I pretty much gave up on the school and started teaching myself things.
:hug: Go homeschoolers!

If you're willing to answer some questions of mine,
What do you do after you've completed a high school education?
Do you go off to a college?
What do your schedules look like? What subjects do you have?
What else do you do?
Can you tell I'm really curious?
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2010 12:54
If you're willing to answer some questions of mine,
What do you do after you've completed a high school education?
Do you go off to a college?
What do your schedules look like? What subjects do you have?
What else do you do?
Can you tell I'm really curious?

Sure.

I've already applied to college and I'm pretty sure I'll get in.

My schedule:
6:00 - 7:20: prepare for school.
7:20 - 8:00: Latin
8:00 - 9:00: PreCalc
9:00 - 9:40: French
9:40 - 10:20: Spanish
10:20 - 11:00: Physics
11:00 - 12:00: Read (Shakespeare, Alaska History, or Spanish novels)
12:00 - 12:30(ish): Lunch
12:30(ish) - 1:00(ish): Walk
1:00 - 4:30: Write research paper/speech/essay; read (see above); homework (work I didn't finish earlier).

*This is basic schedule. On some days, I have other classes not at home that make me move stuff around, but the classes in the morning are pretty much always the same.

What else do I do? Online stuffs, church stuffs, electives (public speaking, Model UN, Self-Defense, etc.)
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2010 02:28
Hi there,

Yeha I'm home schooled, been doing it since halfway through my 2nd year in high school...
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
<< First45678
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email