Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Homeschoolers
on: October 22, 2006 02:04
Whoa, wBTW, if I hadn't seen your avatar I would have thought this was my post! Its the same for me and my family! I don't know if you've noticed or not but a lot of the Homeschooled families have a lot of kids! We know two families who have 13 kids!! And none of them are adopted or are from different spouses, either. Then people say "you have a lot of kids!" to my parents and we're all like, "we only have 4 kids! You should see some of the people I know..."
(hey I looooove your siggy, especially the fish symbol )
Mithtellumawen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2006 02:53
Hey! Homeschoolers abound here--this is so cool! Glad I finally stumbled upon this forum (only took me three years).

Like most of you all here I've been a homeschooler ever since first grade. I reallly love it and wouldn't want it any other way seeing that homeschooling seems to be the best method of education, as far as high-school, anyway.

I totally plan on homeschooling my kids someday. I wouldn't ever send my children to get their education from strangers where they will hear and learn things that I won't know about. I want to know that my kids are getting a godly education, and I'll see to that myself.

And I completely agree with you, FaerlanMidhenaer! Couldn't have said it better--especially with what their starting to teach in schools these days....which I will not utter here in fear of having another one of my posts deleted. But that's another subject...

I will be graduating this spring, taking a year off and then going to Christendom College in Front Royal, VA. (hopefully! if I'm accepted!) Actually, what I really mean by a "year off" is that I was hoping to do some volunteer work in Africa but it looks like my life will now be taking a different turn. Oh well...maybe someday.

Oh! and one more thing before I get scolded for writing too much...I'm from a family of nine, being the third oldest, and we know a few families with about 13 kids too. Most people when they hear how many siblings I have look like they just recovered, or are having (however you want to look at it), a heart-attack. Very laughable.
Caleniel41
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2006 07:05
I think I'm going to write an essay about homeschooling and hang it on my school's buliten board... All I hear from teachers that I meet is "Well it's good that you've come to school to get some social skills" I guess they mean well but I just find it sad that they don't know anything about it.

Mithellumawen, big families rock! There are six kids in my family and I don't consider that big at all... it's rather funny to see people's reactions though!
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2006 07:11
Didn't know you were homeschooled, mith! :hug:
And it is quite laughable, especially when people say our family is huge... we only have four kids!
It its sad that everyone thinks just 'cause your homeschooled you don't have any friends I've been on other message boards with homeschoolers, and people ask about social life, etc, etc, etc. Its the same question for every homeschooler! Oh well, at least we know we're not alone :hug:
The kids in our family take part in many community things, so we know a good many people

[Edited on 22/12/2006 by newsgirl]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2006 10:59
Hello. I'm a homeschooler too, and I'm in the 10th grade. I didn't know there were so many homeschoolers here! Thats awesome!
I just finished making an article for my realm and I explain how I've been homeschooled all my life, they all think its aweome.
I think this is soo cool anyway. Cheers to all the homeschoolers! :cheers:
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Mithtellumawen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:35
Hi newsgirl! I was really excited to see that you were homeschooled too! :hug: I'm sure you've already told us this, but what grade are you in now?

Welcome Elfmaiden! I know, I was surprised also to see how big this forum is. It's very inspiring in a way.

Caleniel: Big families are the best! Six kids is a good sized family! Whenever the holidays come around I realize just how awesome large families are, especially on Christmas morning. All the little kids get so excited and giddy and its contagious! The memories of past Christmas' come back when I see them bouncing around, shouting, laughing and marveling at all the presents under the tree. People say that children make you age faster, but sometimes I think its the other way around--thay make you feel younger!
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 06:00
Great to see you here, too, Mith! :hug: And I'm a Sophmore, and thats 10th grade
(What grade are you in?)
BookMasterJMV
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 10:14
I was homeschooled the last two years of high school -- and boy, I wish I would've done it for longer than that.

It fit my pace more, as I'm a reader and not a listener. That's my type of learning that works for me.

The way my homeschooling program worked was that I was given packets every week and then went and took a test about them.

It also worked nicely with my work schedule at the library where I worked at. No other shelvers worked in the morning, so I was able to do that and then go work on homework until my 'rents came and picked me up.

For anyone who is on the edge of whether or not to homeschool - just do it!
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 11:11
another homeschooler! wow! I did not know there were so many.

I learn the same way BookMasterJMV. I am a reader too.
Its so much easier that way.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
neverinhibitahobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 05:52
I've been homeschooled about 5 years total, and i am graduating this year.....anybody else graduating as a homeschooler? I am doing brit literature this year...and it is so wonderful. I love the time that you get to spend on things you think are so worthwhile...the things that mean the most to you in life. i mean, seriously, what is life for? That's what i love about homeschooling.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 09:08
I have a two more years until I graduate, but I will be gradutating as a homeschooler.
I think it is so true. I want to become a film maker and being at home it gives me time to work on my camera and make movies with my family and good stuff like that.
Mithtellumawen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 12:44
British Lit , neverinhibitahobbit?! I did that two years ago and it was awesome!!! What course are you using? I took the Mother of Divine Grace School course by Laura Berquist and it was really good.

Have you read Balled of the White Horse? I recomend it! Even if you just read it on the side.

newsgirl: I'm a senior this year and can't wait to graduate!!
GreenleafHuntress
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 12:51
Im homeschooled
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2007 03:42
I absolutely love this thread!!!! Elfmaiden, I didn't know you were homeschooled, so cool! Proud homeschooler here :disco:, although I graduated last year... I've only read the last two pages or so of this thread, but it's awesome how many there are of us. :wave: :hug: I'm going to a public hs for a class, and it's so weird after having been homeschooled all my life. I also get the same questions you all do, "what do you do all day?", "so you get to stay home and do school in your pjs?", "did you like get a diploma", but it's really cool because our parents have received so many compliments on the behavior and attitudes of us children. Through homeschooling, my parents were able to teach us good morals, character qualities, and a Christian world view, things that us kids wouldn't have gotten in a public school. It's a blessing being homeschooled! Enjoy it!
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 03:28
yes my dear Jozy, I am homeschooled.
I have not graduated yet, but will in two years, I'm nervous and excited about that. And I agree with you about behavior, we are always getting compliments, and I think it's really cool.
The reason my parents wanted to homeschool me and my siblings is because we were moving around a lot. My dad was born and raised in New Zealand and he wanted to go back there so we did, and lived there for a while. If we had been in public school we would have had to change schools and stuff like that, it would have been really hard. So I'm really glad I'm homeschooled.
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 03:36
Are you still living in NZ? That's so cool that your dad was born there,. I have cousins in Australia, and they're trying to convince me to visit it, that it's better than NZ. Have you visited the places where they filmed LotR?
golden_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 05:11
Valar help me! Why haven't I seen this thread before??? Oh well... Yeah, I'm homeschooled and have been all my life! I LOVE IT. I have no intention of going to high-school, but I want to go to university. (and study philosophy or classical studies or something like that....)

golden.
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 07:09
Ooh yay another H-S'er! :hug:
I'd like to go to art school someday I think, as well.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2007 04:10
well to answer your question Jozy, I never did get to see the places where they filmed LotR because they were making the movie at that time. They were actually asking for extras, and we almost got to be extras but we had already decided to move back to the US.
I really want to go back there though!

Nice to see another homeschooler! And just so you know golden_lorien, I just came in here and I've been a member of this site for a couple years now I think. So it took me a long time to find my way in too.
Djaja
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2007 01:56
I'm just finished my home-school years.
I have been home-schooled for 3 years. All my high school years is done in home-school...

Nice to know a lot of people are also home-schoolers
Mithtellumawen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2007 08:57
... but it's really cool because our parents have received so many compliments on the behavior and attitudes of us children. Through homeschooling, my parents were able to teach us good morals, character qualities, and a Christian world view, things that us kids wouldn't have gotten in a public school. It's a blessing being homeschooled! Enjoy it!

Same here, Jozy.

Hey! Welcome Jozy! I've been part of this site for three years and only just found this thread. It's not just you

Gosh! This year has been really busy! All the subjects I'm studying are really great, except for my prep for the ACT--blah!!!! Not that I don't like school, but I can't wait to graduate even though I'm also anxious.....I have to write a speech....gulp.

How things going for ya'll?
cutegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2007 10:23
I am presently homeschooled, have been since 3rd grade.

me to
Mithtellumawen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 10:14
By the way cutegirl, very awesome siggy! I'm Catholic too! Anyone else Catholic on this thread?
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 06:22

Hey! Welcome Jozy! I've been part of this site for three years and only just found this thread. It's not just you

Gosh! This year has been really busy! All the subjects I'm studying are really great, except for my prep for the ACT--blah!!!! Not that I don't like school, but I can't wait to graduate even though I'm also anxious.....I have to write a speech....gulp.

How things going for ya'll?

:wave: Hello cutegirl and Mithtellumawen! Always nice to meet fellow homeschoolers! I'm planning to take a Culinary Arts course next semester, Lord willing...seems I never get too far from making (or eating) food . Hope you do well with your speech, Mithtellumawen, speaking in front of people isn't my gift.
Erebor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2007 04:19
Yes, I'm home schooled too !! We Rock !!! :disco: I am looking for another home schooler to just be friends with. I have not been here very long and want to know people. If anyone wants to just write back and forth send me a message.
Erebor
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2007 10:45
Welcome, Erebor! :wave: homeschoolers do rock indeed !!! A PM is on its way to you
~~Tinuviel~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 10:51
Hi all! :wave: I'm home schooled. I am in 8th grade now and I love it!!!! This is great that there are so many of us on CoE!
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2007 11:01
Awesome! I didn't know you were homeschooled, Tina! It's nice to have another homeschooler in Nienna
golden_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2007 12:50
Hey, Tinuviel! :wave:

hey, I wonder if there are any homeschoolers in Lorien... *walks away from thread muttering*
Elendelyne
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2007 06:09
homeschoolers! very cool. I'm one, my sister's one, and we both have been homeschooled since day one.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2007 12:46
Oh wow! I just realized that the last time I posted in this thread I was a homeschooler! It seems like a very long time ago, but it really wasn't. I homeschooled fifth through ninth grade before starting at an absolutely wonderful private high school my sophomore year.

I guess the whole homeschool experience was pretty awesome for me... especially during those awful middle school years when kids seem get just a little bit loopy. Seriously, what do most people think when they hear "middle school"? Drama! lol Unnecessary, rotten, I'm-way-better-than-you-just-because drama. As a homeschooler I got to sail right on through those years while most of my friends had to wade in all that nasty muck. And in the meantime, I learned a whole lot about myself because I wasn't distracted by trying to "fit in" all the time. It was so great having the freedom to just be myself, wear pajamas all day if I wanted to, read great books for hours on end, chase after those countless hobbies I took a fancy to... If I ever have kids, I'm definitely going to homeschool them for at least three or four fantastic years. :heart:
Fingolfin~of~Beleriand
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2007 02:57
I have been homeschooled all my life and in one year will graduate. But get this, I'm 15 and I'm a junior in High School. Awesome isn't it? I cannot believe how many homeschoolers there are here!!!!!
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2007 07:43
It's pretty cool, isn't it?
JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 08, 2007 12:40
I was home-schooled!
I started in fourth grade and graduated last year. Now I help my Mom teach my three younger siblings.

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
nightfairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2007 02:04
Another European here with absolutely no idea about homeschooling apart from what the media tell us. Please bear with me and allow me a few questions:

- Is it mostly for religious reasons that people decide to homeschool their kids?
- Is there any kind of control on who teaches (their qualification etc.)?
- Does anyone or any authority make sure they actually are schooled at all?

Don't get me wrong here...I just wondered if there isn't some danger of kids learning nothing at all because their parents neglect them? There's a growing problem over here of parents who are so unbelievably indifferent and/or troubled with themselves that they even fail to send their kids to school (we do have a compulsory school attendance here) - I don't want to even start to think what it might be like if they were allowed to just keep them at home.

No offence meant to anyone...I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the concept of it.

hugs
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email