Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Post Homeschoolers
on: September 25, 2003 08:34
I finished High school last spring after being homeschooled since kindergarten. I was just wondering if anyone else is or was homeschooled??

[Edited on 25/9/2003 by AlatarielofRivendell]
EldarExilePrincess
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Homeschoolers
on: September 25, 2003 09:05
me!
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 12:21
I've been homeschooled my whole life.
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 01:03
I was homeschooled from 6th grade until I graduated in 2000.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 03:50
Melilot_Bolger is high schooler without ever being a student in our local high school. She started homeschooler as a result of peer presure, you might say, all her friends were homeschooled. Did any of you have a co-op for group work or field trips? Last year ours went to a small airport & got to fly.
Mirlomien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 04:09
I am presently homeschooled, have been since 3rd grade. I will be graduating this spring at my current age of 15.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 04:45
My parents homeschooled us, since I was in 6th grade, until I took the certificate exam when I was 15 and started JC. It was great! We had/have a whole community of homeschoolers here and they hold classes and do feild trips and even have a drama (though mostly comedy) Troupe. Homeschooling is the best, no stuffy class rooms and you don't have to wait for anyone!
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 05:38
Great to here there are so many other homeschoolers! I loved being homeschooled. I wish I could do college at home.... Most of my friends are homeschooled (or were) There's a pretty big homeschooling community around here.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 09:55
Hey hey all! I'm homeschooled, and have been my entire life!
Rodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 04:16
I was homeschooled up until last year; since then, I've been in a Christian e-school.
DreaminofValinor
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 06:49
i've never even been to so much as one day of school. and i'm 13 in 9th grade. (well sorta, i'm doing some 10th grade work) me and my 6 other siblings have all been homeschooled, too. (my oldest bro graduated from college in may)

so, yeah. HOMESCHOOLER POWER EVERYBODY!
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 06:22
I graduated last year and I've never set foot in a school. We worked through a school though, Christian Liberty Acadamy, so I got report cards just like everyone else.

Do non-homeschoolers ever treat ya'll like you're kind of, well, sheltered from "the real world"? I got that alot at my old church. Fortunately, we found one where most of the people there homeschool, so my nephew has lots of friends. (He lives with us, Mom is homeschooling him too).

It can just be hard sometimes to try and make people understand that just because I never went to public school doesn't mean I don't know how the world works *rolls eyes* Some people are silly
EldarExilePrincess
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 04:50
YAY! LOTSA HOMESCOOLERS! :love:
Meliara
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 02:35
Ooh, me too! Err, I was homeschooled, but I graduated this past spring.
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 11:51
I'm homeschooled too.

~Haldir
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 12:38
Thats soo cool you all are homeschooled! I was going to be homeschooled but my mom kept getting sick so i had to go to regular school!
I think it would be cool to be homeschooled!!!!!!
I_Luv_Frodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 01:45
I'm homeschooled, okay, so AlatarielofRivendell already knew that, being my sister, but ya'll didn't.
Ivorwen_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 05:46
I was homeschooled my eighth grade year. I fully support homeschooling, but It wasn't for me. I didn't have the discipline, and my mom didnt' enforce anything.
Ivorwen_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 05:55
Oh! And congratulations on graduating!!!
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 06:55
I was homeschooled all my life and graduated only last spring!
I am very glad I recieved such an education, as it instilled in me a lifelong love for learning. The older I got, the more I got to choose my own subjects, to explore my own interests and guide my studies. Even now that I'm not in school (and am taking a year break before college), I'm still exploring things and teaching myself.

I had co-op classes with other homeschooled students every year, so I had the advantage of seeing what a classroom situation was like and uniting with my peers. I remember my homeschool days very fondly, oh yes. Not to say there weren't some struggles, there definitely were, but over all I think it was the best form of education for me.

And let us not forget, our very own Elijah Wood was homeschooled! He has indicated whenever he's asked about it that he's very grateful for it.
Chrissy_Lee
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 09:19
I've been homeschooled for 4 years (4th-8th/where I'm at now) and I love it!!!!!!!!
elfnut2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 02:51
I've been homeschooled my whole life!!!!!! Because of that, I was able to read the lord of the rings trilogy when I was only 7!!!!!! I've read it three times a year since then.
TorechUngol
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 10:08
I've been homeschooled since about half way through second grade. Only one more year to go after this one!!
ILoveMrBloom
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 12:25
my mom used to homeschool all 4 of us kids.. but in like 2ed grade i went to public school. But i wanna be homeschooled again! i hate highschool!
~wild_shieldmaiden~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 05, 2003 10:19
I'm homeschooled and have been all my life!!!
I luv it! :love:
ILoveHaldir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2003 04:17
I've been homeschooled my whole life
I'm in a group where we have a year book and field trips
I love it.
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2003 03:44
I have been homeschooled all my life (now I am 14 and a freshman in highschool), except kindergarten, but I am not sure that really counts.
theonlyperfectelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 07:37

Do non-homeschoolers ever treat ya'll like you're kind of, well, sheltered from "the real world"? I got that alot at my old church. Fortunately, we found one where most of the people there homeschool, so my nephew has lots of friends. (He lives with us, Mom is homeschooling him too).

It can just be hard sometimes to try and make people understand that just because I never went to public school doesn't mean I don't know how the world works *rolls eyes* Some people are silly

lol i kno just wut u mean!!!!!!!! they think that we r so sheltered!!!!!!!!! like we dont get out!!!!!!!! lol

well obvioulsy i m homeschooled and i luv it!!!!!!!!!
Arwen1858
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2003 08:54
I'm homeschooled!!! Well, I was. Although I guess I still am. I was homeschooled since 1st grade, and graduated back in May. Now I'm studying more at home. Not technically college classes, but I'm studying what I want to! I love writing, and am studying that a lot. That's cool that there are so many others on here!!
Arwen
Eowyn13
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2003 11:48
I have been homeschooled all my life but I don't like it alot...
I hardly know anyone in my neigborhood, I can't sign up for the "school play" or other stuff like that, All my other friends arn't homeschooled....I think being homeschooled STINKS (Sorry if I offend anyone)
lorindol
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2003 03:56
I'm not homeschooled but I almost was once in 4th grade. It was right after we moved and there wasn't a christian school around so my parents thought it would be good to try it for a while. I think we stuck to it for about one week but then we gave up and I've gone to public school ever since. I know several people who are homeschooled and, no offence to anyone, it did seem like they were somewhat sheltered. Many of them just don't have the chance to hang out with their peers as much as conventional school goers. I have noticed that some are more comfortable with adults than people their age. Like I said I tried home school and it just wasn't for me. I needed to get to know kids in the neighborhood and school was a great place to do it. I think it's great if you are homeschooled I just think it's also a good idea to get plugged into a co-op group or something were you can just hang with your peers.

Gandalf for President
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: October 29, 2003 03:38
Personally I believe the only really good way to do home schooling is in a community minded manner. What do I mean? I mean that all the parents homeschooling in the area really owe it to their children to get them together and teach them together. Some people seem to think that homeschooling means you all stay huddled in a little room reading books and what not. That isn't true if done properly. You learn to interact with all people, being homeschooled in the manner I was. You learn to identify with people of all ages, not just your peers, I personally get on with anyone I want to, but I prefer people of an 'older' mentality. That doesn't mean I only enjoy time spent with people numerically older, it means I like spending time with people of substance. People who are well read and informed and opinionated. I do not mean to be offencive but most people my age who have been theough public school, really are immature intellectually, not living up to their full potential.

Of course all of this is my opinion, and homeschooling IS NOT for everyone... the only thing that IS for everyone is .... um... oxygen! (or if you happen to be an Ent, Carbon Dioxide)

Tasar *the ever opinionated, and all around bad speller*
shieldmaidenofthemark
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2003 02:09
I'm homeschooled!!!! I love it. I'm going to star Community College for my seinor year and that's going to be my AP classes.
Anorwen_Niphredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 08:28
I was homeschooled from second grade all the way through High School. I really enjoyed it.
Thankfully I knew lots of others who homeschooled, so I never felt alone like Eowyn13 says she does. I have friends ranging in age from 12-28, some are homeschooled, some attend Classical Christian schools... my favorite event was attending a Christian Student Worldview Conference in Virginia my senior year in High School; there I was able to meet lots of new people!
After I graduated from High School I took time off to pursue studies that interested me most (mainly literature--- and the Tudors, especially Lady Jane Grey).
I am now enrolled in Whitefield College's (located in Lakeland, FL) long-distance program.So even now I'm learning and living at home. For the most part, this is great.
I can study at my own pace with very little distractions. While you can't tell a professor to stop and rewind so you can take better notes, you can pause a lecture on audio cassette! Plus, it is many times cheeper to study this way: no boarding costs!
Now, I must admit, in some ways this is harder than it was in High School, since most college-age people I know have, of course, gone away for college. So here I am in a tiny town, in a church where the two people closest to my age just turned 15 (I am good friends with them, by the way, it is just that you sometimes need to talk with someone who can relate with the different challenges that face you at 19), and the friends close to my age a forty minute's drive away (which I make as frequently as possible, of course!)... it can be hard at times.
But overall, it is a good experience, I enjoy it, and thank God for giving me this great oportunity!
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 07:58
hey! its really cool that i found this forum. im homeschooled, and even though im in a co-op kind of thing, i dont have a very big social group! im in The Classical School, which my dad teaches, but as ive been the guinea pig all the way thru im always in the smallest class. its a thing where you go to once a week classes for everything except for math and science, which you do by yourself or w/ another co-op. anyway, dad started it when i was in 5th, and now as a freshman, there's only 4 other people in my class, and the highschool is all grades combined! not only that, but a lot of my friends are in the 8th grade group (even though they're my age, just started a year later) and i really doubt they'll be coming to the highschool next year. they're all much more social than my group.
anyway, so im thrilled to have found more people. i really do like homeschooling, and i know i'll be grateful (sp?) for it in the long run, but, you know...
oh- i completely agree w/ tasar_took_nualda:
I personally get on with anyone I want to, but I prefer people of an 'older' mentality. That doesn't mean I only enjoy time spent with people numerically older, it means I like spending time with people of substance. People who are well read and informed and opinionated. I do not mean to be offencive but most people my age who have been theough public school, really are immature intellectually, not living up to their full potential.

Of course all of this is my opinion, and homeschooling IS NOT for everyone... the only thing that IS for everyone is .... um... oxygen! (or if you happen to be an Ent, Carbon Dioxide)

it can be hard talking to people who are only aware of the next prom! (not that i have anything against proms! but i doubt i'll ever have the oppertunity to go to one!)
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email