Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Homeschoolers
on: March 10, 2004 05:30
I am fourteen and have been homeschooled my whole life. So has my little sister, and my 22 year old brother. It's so awesome!! It gets old, though, when people ask in amazement whether or not you have a social life......*blinks* Duh! Lol, sorry, that just seems a bit weird. It's not like we're cooped up in the house all day.

I participate in a Lit class, which mum teaches, and in drama. Homeschooling is the best, and all the real smarts ones are homeschooled...lol...j/k.

And I think it's helped me immesnsly. My parents got to train me up the way they wanted without peer pressure (Thank the Lord) and it has instilled in my an insatiable love for music and writing and reading.

Anyhoo, nice to see others homeschoolers. :love:

~Newra
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 11:59
One of the things I really like about being homeschooled is the fact that I'm not so peer-dependant. So many public-schooled kids I know can only relate to people their own age (not all of them, obviously, but in general). I can get along with people much older than me as well as much younger than me. Its given me friends of many ages, not just my own.

It always puzzles me when people ask if I am socialized. Just because I'm homeschooled, doesn't mean I never see people. Even if I stayed at home all day I have a big family and there is plenty of socialization there (I'm also greatful for the close relationship homeschooling has allowed me to have with my siblings) I'm involved in my church and have many friends who also homeschool. Homeschooling also alows me to be friends with entire families, rather than just one person.
LimielofGondolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 02:36
thats very true AlatrielofRivendell. I have been homeschooled all of my life.
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 07:53
I am sooo happy I found this board...I've been homeschooled since 2rd grade. I absolutely positively love it :love: it gives you the chance to learn exactly what you want to. However it does get a little difficult...peer pressure...everyone at my church is public schooled, I'm the only homeschooled one apart from my 2 sisters no one seems to understand WHY I'm homeschooled. The reason I'm homeschooled is because of the quality of public schools in my area. They all stink .This is certainly not a christian viewpoint but its what a lot of people I know beleive, "Homeschoolers are homeschooled because they have difficulty learning at the public school pace." that just makes me soooooo mad. But I love to tell them off
I don't have problems with socializing at all. There's a place where I live called ' The Learning Cottage' its a place with supplemental(sp?) classes just for homeschoolers and its so fun! I take Journalism, Drama, and Sewing there. There are plenty of people so its not hard to make friends.

I'm going to quit ranting now

[Edited on 29/7/2004 by ~One_of_the_Dunedain~]
Deladrieng
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 02:49
howdy! ive never been homeschooled but i want to be. im in 8th grade now and ill be goin to high school next year... since all of u have been homeschooled i wanted to know... does the person teaching you have to have gone through college? if so.. for how long? i wanted to know b/c ive been homebound most of this school year b/c of medical reasons and ive had teachers come and tutor me and i liked it better than school. thx a lot

~Dela
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 04:19
Hi, Dela!! No, I don't beleive so, all they need is a High School education
Hope it works out for you!
~Mar
Feanorblingblingissues
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2004 12:25
I'm a home schooler.
Farwyn64
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2004 07:05
I've been homeschooled all my life and I totally love it. Although right now (gr. 9) it's extremely hard for me; I'm so behind for some reason and yeah...if I said any more I'd go on to my life story
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2004 07:40
Eowyn 13
( have been homeschooled all my life but I don't like it alot...
I hardly know anyone in my neigborhood, I can't sign up for the "school play" or other stuff like that, All my other friends arn't homeschooled....I think being homeschooled STINKS)
Try signing up for a community college. And join clubs, orchestras, and groups for your social activity. And look for homeschool groups....I've been in one for years!

Personally, I've been homeschooled all my life (15 years!) and I do like it. I never felt lacking for friends...although part of that is me not being a social person. I would MUCH rather stay home and read or write or practice my violin then be with friends.
Go homeschoolers! I didn't think there were that many here!
Consuelo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2004 05:48
Hullo!
I was homeschooled all the way through, from preschool to highschool, and graduated in 2002 with about 20 or more other homeschoolers from my state. I liked it alot cause I had a lot more freedom than my friends who went to public school. I can see how people can not like it though, my cousin tried it for a year, but then went back to regular school cause he never did anything with a group. I had a big homeschool group to grow up with a lot of kids who were homeschooled. I am currently going to Bible college with two of my homeschool friends, one is my roommate. I loved being homeschooled!
Shire5
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 08:52
Hello!
I've been homeschooled since kindergarden, and I love :love: it. When I tell people that I'm homeschooled, then they look at me like I'm crazy. :twitch: (like I've never seen "the real world")

They always seem to think that we're always at home and we never go out. But that's definitely not true. As my mom says, "the world is our classroom."

If I weren't homeschooled, I probably wouldn't have learned how to knit, crochet, or tat. And I wouldn't have found how good I am at sketching (and I also wouldn't be able to take art classes where I do now). I've basically grown up with classical music and religious music. I also think that I've gotten to know my Faith better. I'm constantly volunteering at my church. :love:

But most of all, it's also, I think, helped me to get to know my family better. My best friend is my cousin.
I have other friends, but they're mostly younger than me. I have quite a few homeschooled friends, one I carpooled with for my art classes (they're over for the summer ).

Alright, I'll just stop rambling on now!

But, just in case I didn't mention it, I love being homeschooled! :love::love::love:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 11:05
I'm curious...how does it work when you go to apply to college....is there a homeschooling agency that you have to submit grades through?

And is it generally that you have one parent that is a stay-at-home parent, or do they both work and you just work around that?

I'm afraid the only real time I come into contact with homeschoolers is when it doesn't work out and they do come to school, so I don't know much about it.
Andmeneliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 11:17
I am a Junior in Seton Home Study School. I was wondering if anyone is in Seton? I was surprised that there were so many homeschoolers, though the Seton Messageboards are overflowing with Tolkien fans. I like being homeschooled, although it is a challenge. It really makes you learn time managment skills.
In answer to Aowyn, I think that if you are in an organized curriculum program like Seton, that gives transcripts, then the colleges accept these. If you have a do it yourself approach to curriculum, then I think your admission is solely based on a standardized test, like the SAT. All the homschoolers in my local homeschool group have a stay at home mom, me included. In highschool though, they are more of supervisors than teachers, at least in my experience.

Sarah
Divinity
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 03:51
HOMESCHOOLING ROCKS!!!!!!! I didn't think that last year but now it's ok.I've been homschooled since second grade because my parents are missionarys overseas and it's so I can get all my english learning. I have gone to the national schools and I'm going part time now. When we were in the USA on leave I went to 6th grade there. I'm sooo thankfull to see all the homeschoolers around hear. HOMESCHOOLERS UNITE!!!!!!!!!
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 05:25
I'm curious...how does it work when you go to apply to college....is there a homeschooling agency that you have to submit grades through?

And is it generally that you have one parent that is a stay-at-home parent, or do they both work and you just work around that?

I'm afraid the only real time I come into contact with homeschoolers is when it doesn't work out and they do come to school, so I don't know much about it.

Like Andmeneliel said, there are programs people can use. Not all people do, but a lot. They keep your transcripts etc. for when you apply to college. For people who don't use a homeschool program like this, your parents can keep track of everything. I'm a sophmore in high school and until last year we never used one of these programs. Now we use Kolbe Academy. Actually, my mom contemplated trying Seton but we did Kolbe instead.
Dingil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 06:59
ME!!! I'm homeschooler to!!!! amazing to think any one else is your so isolated with home schooling
Allysian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 04:06
Hi,
I'm 27 now(and still finding lots of things to learn about!)I spent my 2nd grade year in public school and hated it! Other than that year I was home schooled.
I think it really gives you a broader perspective on life.My Grandmother taught me,and we would get interested in a subject and study until we couldn't find anything else on it at the library.I remember one year we were studiyng Russia and we literally got out every single book the library had about Russia!
We took alot more field trips then the kids in school,too.We went to museums,historic sites,cultural festivals,you name it!
She also fought to get homeschoolers accepted in national contests.I never made it to national level,but I won several state and regional awards for poetry and short stories.
Every time I hear of a homeschooler winning a national spelling bee or geography contest,ect.I want to cheer!
sweetoffee14
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 08:58
why do you all hate public schools so much?? alot of people who've posted here said they hated publich schools but no one said why :dizzy: and besides it doesn't really sound like you spent long enough in one to really judge what they're like :dizzy:

[Edited on 2/6/2004 by sweetoffee14]
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 10:47
Now I also got curious about homeschooling. As a European, the concept is quite alien to me (here in Germany it would in fact be illegal, except for medical reasons, and then you would just have to get a private tutor who also teaches at a regular public school), and so there are a few things I'd like to know about it:

-Why did you (or your parents) take the decision to educate you at home?
- What was the particular reason for rejecting the public schools? (Of course, I attended one, and it wasn't that bad. Well, it's pretty bad at the age of 13 or 14, but it gets a lot better when everybody has turned 17 or 18 and has become a little bit more mature. ).
-Are there also homeschoolers who go on to attend regular colleges and universities? Or do you also take your college degrees via e-classes and the like?
-Does it somehow affect your career options? Or does it just count like a regular high school diploma for any future employers?
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 02:55
I'm homeschooled and luv it! I'm in seventh grade and am thirteen (had to repeat third grade cuz I skipped that year cuz of a family crisis) I've been homeschooled since first grade. I wasn't in kindergarden cuz my parents really liked the school i went to, but it only went up from preschool through kindergarden! (very small school!) Just out of curiosity, does anybody think that they'll homeschool their kids when they have them? I know I won't be able to cuz I don't have the patience! (Maybe if I marry the guy I'm in luv with at the moment he would cuz he's homeschooled too LOL like that would actually happen!!!!)
Um, nothing left to post.
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 12:57
Now I also got curious about homeschooling. As a European, the concept is quite alien to me (here in Germany it would in fact be illegal, except for medical reasons, and then you would just have to get a private tutor who also teaches at a regular public school), and so there are a few things I'd like to know about it:

- What was the particular reason for rejecting the public schools? (Of course, I attended one, and it wasn't that bad. Well, it's pretty bad at the age of 13 or 14, but it gets a lot better when everybody has turned 17 or 18 and has become a little bit more mature. ).
-Are there also homeschoolers who go on to attend regular colleges and universities? Or do you also take your college degrees via e-classes and the like?
-Does it somehow affect your career options? Or does it just count like a regular high school diploma for any future employers?

When I was in Europe this past summer a lot of people were quite shocked when I said I was homeschooled because it is illegal in most European countries. Here in the USA its been legal for about 20 years in most states.

As for the reasons for homeschooling there are alot of them. One reason my parents homeschooled me is to give me a solid christian foundation. Most of the public schools in the states are anti-christian (either subtly or overtly). They also believed that it was the best way to obey the Bible, which clearly gives the responsibility of education to the parents. My parents wanted to be the primary influence on my life, not teachers and peers. Homeschooling is also much more time efficient. In a classroom much of the time is spent just keeping 25-30 kids busy without any real learning going on. At home you can learn at your own pace-you can move ahead on subjects you are good at and take a little more time on those that are harder for you. You can really focus and develop your gifts. If a subject really interests you you can spend a lot more time studying it than you could in public school. These are just a few of the reasons people homeschool.

Yes, homeschoolers can go on to college. I am in college right now. I was actually able to start college a year early because I was homeschooled. Nearly every college in the States accepts homeschooled students and many actively recruit homeschooled student because they tend to be better off academically.

I believe in most states your parent can issue you a diploma that functions as any other high-school diploma. Otherwise you can go through homeschool organizations that will give you a diploma.

I know that the idea of homeschooling sounds very foreign to most Europeans, but in the states it is a perfectly legitimate and fairly widespread educational option.

To answer your question Maethorien. Yes I am definatly going to homeschool my kids. No question about that. I can't wait!
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 11:05
Thanks for all the information, Alatariel! The only thing I learned about homeschooling in the U.S. in my English classes at school was that there had been a Supreme Court decision concerning the education of Amish children in the 1970s. So I always kind of imagined homeschooling a bit like Amish village community schools or something along those lines.
GirlofLanguages
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 05:05
I'm homeschooled and I love it!... I was homeschooled from pre-k (well, I guess i was so eager to start, my mom just started teaching me what she was teaching my brother. I learned to read at age... I'm not sure... 3 or 4), I went to public school from 2nd through 5th grades. And I started homeschooling again in 6th grade and have been doing that for 2 years now.

I take quite a few of my classes online at The Potter's School. Has anyone ever heard of it, or even possibly take classes there?

Why did we decide to homeschool?- Well, in 5th grade I started to hate public school for multiple reasons. The next year, I would have been going to the middle school, and our local middle school is just depressing. So, my mom gave me the option of homeschooling again, and it went from there. At first I was going to go back to public school for high school, but we ended up loving it so much and finding so many good opportunities that we decided to homeschool highschool too.

Reason for rejecting the public schools?- Well, I'm not trying to brag or anything here... just trying to explain my reasons, but I was always ahead of my class, which left me bored and I felt that the public schools didn't challenge me enough or give me enough opportunity. Also, the anti-christian, political correctness, evolution-as-fact junk (sorry, if I offended anyone with that word) gave me more reason to consider other options in schooling, and end up homeschooling.

Attending regular colleges- Yes! I plan to, and I know that many, many homeschoolers do go on to attend a regular college on location (as opposed to distance learning)

Effecting career options- I seriously doubt that the fact that I'm homeschooled will effect my future career.

So I always kind of imagined homeschooling a bit like Amish village community schools or something along those lines.

Haha! It's interesting to hear what people think of when they think of homeschooling.

Do any of y'all ever get the "Do you get to do school in your pajamas?" question? I hate that one.

arwenevenstarr
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 08:28
Hi! I'm a homeschooler, I'm in Year 8 now and I'm 14. I've been homeschooling since 6th grade. It's really great to know there are so many other homeschoolers out there!
My mother rejected the schools because I'm a Catholic and she did not believe the schools were teaching kids true doctrine, and that you got bad habits, like swearing etc from there.
A lot of homeschoolers I know go to universty when they are older, and a heap do OLA courses or TAFE courses. OLA is Open Learning Australia.
I'm in Australia, and I'm friendly with quite a large group of homeschoolers around Sydney and Goulburn. Are there many homeschoolers in your area? and if not where are they? and are you friends with many other homeschoolers?
Allysian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 04:10
In reply to the question about reasons to home school: Mine was mostly health related,although my Grandmother wasn't very happy with the school I was going to and was glad to get me out of there.
I was homeschooled through 1st grade because my Mom was working as a traveling salesman and my Grandmother and I traveled with her.My Grandmother had been a teacher and retired due to her own health problems(she lost alot of the use of her legs from arthritis).
When I was 8 we stopped traveling and I was enrolled in public school.During that year I spent more time in the hospital then I did in school.My urinary tract began to malfunction and I almost had to have a kidney transplant.On the days I did go to school there were all sorts of special restrictions.I had to keep a thermos at my desk because I had a required minimum amount of liquid I was to drink in a day,I couldn't do phys-ed and if I didn't feel like going out for recess,I could sit in the classroom and read.Of course the other kids made fun of me because of my health restrictions.
After a year my grandmother met with the principal and the school actually suggested that she go back to teaching me because they didn't want to work around my physical and dietary restrictions!
luv_aragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 02:46
I was homeschooled from 2nd through 8th grade. I just graduated from high school last month and I went all 4 years to a "regular" school.
i_luv_orlando_b
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 05:44
I am! I will be in 8th grade
superchicken
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 10:32
I've been homeschooled since 1st grade, and I just gradutaed 8th grade!
outlawgirl09
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2004 01:29
I have been homeschooled all my life.
tiniwel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 03:01
I've been homeschooled all my life! It can be hard sometimes, but that's ok, cuz we do choir and yearbook staff with our homeschool group.

Sarah aka Tiniwel
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 10:40
Is anyone here going to Not Back to School Camp? (The camp for homeschoolers). It'd be so awesome if I could meet someone here that was going too!!!
Feanorblingblingissues
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 12:36
No I'm not going.
ring_addict
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 05:11
I kinda have to agree with Eowyn13. I was homeschooled from grades 5 through 8. I had a lot of free time, but I didn't get out much. I had very few friends to hang out with, because there weren't very many other kids my age that were home schooled. When I went back to school for my freshman year, I was shocked. All those years alone really sheltered me from the outside world. It was hard for me to meet new people, but once I got involved, I found going to school to be a lot more enjoyable than being home schooled. I could participate in sports and all of the other extra ciricular activities, and that was really fun! Over all, I'd have to say that going to school is better than being home schooled.
ElvenShieldmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 01:04
I was homeschooled for two years (fifth and sixth grades). Then I decided that I was fighting too much with my mom, I didn't like the curricula she chose (more on that later), and I missed extracurriculars like choir. So I returned to school and received a major culture shock. Still haven't caught up yet, and I'm glad.

(About the curricula - for the science books, she got all these Christian textbooks. Don't get me wrong - I'm a strong believer - but I dislike Christian curricula. Most books' authors spend half the book preaching against evolution and etc, instead of actually TEACHING material, and they're pretty closed-minded, too. *sigh*)

Anyway, while some aspects of homeschooling were nice, I vastly prefer "real" school.

Ciao!
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 06:59
So I returned to school and received a major culture shock. Still haven't caught up yet, and I'm glad.

So what exactly do you mean by that?
I think one of the only things I don't like about homeschooling is yes, we've socially naive. I'm never comfortable with people, and social situations scare me. But in a lot of ways, oh well. "real" school probably isn't even like "real" life. Homeschooling is different then the real world, but so is real school.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email