Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
ElvenShieldmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Homeschoolers
on: July 06, 2004 07:28
So I returned to school and received a major culture shock. Still haven't caught up yet, and I'm glad.

So what exactly do you mean by that?
I think one of the only things I don't like about homeschooling is yes, we've socially naive. I'm never comfortable with people, and social situations scare me. But in a lot of ways, oh well. "real" school probably isn't even like "real" life. Homeschooling is different then the real world, but so is real school.

I mean that, since I was homeschooling and pretty much by myself for most of the day and never did any homeschooling extracurriculars, I developed very differently from those who had continued to go to school. I was homeschooled during the beginning and part of the middle of puberty (fifth and sixth grade - about eleven- and twelve-years-old), you see. So my mom had pretty much the only guiding influence over me during those years...

I wasn't influenced by my peers at all simply because I wasn't around them. I wasn't influenced by the media because I listened to the Christian station with my mom and the oldies station when by myself, I didn't watch TV except for educational programmes and the news broadcast, and I really only used the computer for word processing (I had to quickly learn how to do research on the Internet, about which I'd previously known very little, when I returned to school). In other words, I was pretty much the same person I was in fourth grade as I was in seventh grade, in terms of personality/character, innocence, and POV.

When I returned to school in seventh grade, everyone - and I really do mean everyone, except for some, who later became some of my best friends - had changed. Their parents didn't wield as much influence over them as mine had. I was confused by what they said and did, but as a nonconformist by nature I didn't let myself get swept away in the current. Sure, I learnt what they meant when they did and said some things, but I never learnt the whole vocabulary, and thank Eru I never bothered to (I like my innocence!). I just never got immersed in what they did or said. So, I basically learnt just enough to realise what they were doing/saying and to convince me to stay away.

It's still the same thing, except although I've learned more vocabulary, I haven't been exposed to the whole thing. At any rate, I'm really glad that I returned to school, because if I didn't, I wouldn't have been exposed to or immersed myself in two extracurriculars - journalism and filmmaking - in one of which I hope to make my future career!

I know that real school isn't exactly like real life, but real school definitely - IMHO - helps prepare one for at least part of real life. I mean, there are always going to be drama queens, wherever you go. There are always going to be the sluts, the preps, the jocks, the nerds, the Goths, the punks, the slackers, the clowns. Certain social dynamics will also always exist in both real school and real life.

I think that I returned to school just in time, anyway, since I made some of the best friends I'll ever have in those two years of jr. high. If I'd waited until ninth grade, the beginning of high school, it'd have been a colossal culture shock.

Sorry - this is so long!

Ciao!
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 12:57
No, I like reading rambles! It was very interesting, ElvenShieldmaiden!

Lets see....I pretty much agree with you. Sometimes I feel like still being homeschooled, I'll never catch up with "normal" behaviour. I have a real self-esteem problem, and its hard for me to feel good about myself around others.
I think I am "sheltered" a little bit, but it probably seems like more to others, simply because I am so shy.
You said,

There are always going to be the sluts, the preps, the jocks, the nerds, the Goths, the punks, the slackers, the clowns. Certain social dynamics will also always exist in both real school and real life.

I suppose that might be true, but I also think alot of that is people trying to form an identity by becoming a stereotype. Hmm...lets see....I guess I'd be a "nerd". And proud of it!!!

Huggles to you, (and everyone else)
Amythyst
Taethowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 03:14
I really need to check around CoE more often . . .

I was homeschooled K-12, and I loved (most of) it. I graduated in May of 2003, a year early. My most memorable years of being homeschooled were my highschool years because I was in 4-H, and I was really enthusiastic about my schooling during that time. Graduation was a ton of fun because the homeschool suport group my parent's are in got together and did a graduation for all of the seniors that year. So, I had a graduating class of 39 *g*. But I must say, I am so glad to be done with school!
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2004 05:45
We all do, Taethowen...

Wow! It's great to see so many homeschoolers around CoE! I was through fifth grade. On Fridays, we would get together with a whole bunch of other people, some homeschoolers, and others who went to a really small Lutheran school in our neighbourhood and we'd do music, computers, physical education, art, etc.

Now, I (and my brother and sisters) go to a small Christian jr high and high school. It's nice having other people around, but I miss homeschooling. My little brother is still homeschooled, and it's really fun to help him. Sometimes, I help him with his Spanish.

No offence to anyone who may support public schools, but I would never want to go there. The ones in our neighbourhood are really bad. Most of my friends go there, and it's fine for them. But not for me. I tend to freak in large social situations really easily.
Almarie
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 12:04
I have been homeschooled since 2nd grade, and have just one more year of high school left. I love being homeschooled! There's no way I would ever want to go back to public school, especially since I'm a Christian. Even though I love homeschooling, it has made me a social freak. I'm very shy and reserved and don't know a lot of people. I hate "socializing" and large groups of people. But other than that, it's great, and as long as you are a part of a good support group, the "socialization factor" isn't much of an issue.
BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 12:53
Hey I am home schooled--all the way so far and this thread was a cool idea!!!!
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 01:21
I've been homeschooled since 2nd grade and absolutely love it.
But I just don'the steriotyping that goes w/being homeschooled makes me mad, I don't get why so many people call public school "real" school or "regular" school. For me, and tons of other people homeschooling is both "real" and "regular". homeschooled kids are just as average and normal as public schooled kids. I looove to socialize, love being in big groups and meeting new people, I have a good sized group of friends, some public schooled and some homeschooled, because, along with my homeschooled activities, I have my church youth group, and other stuff.
I don't have a problem with public school, but I'll say that its not for me. In my opinion its all just a matter of taste, it all depends on how its easier for you to learn, after all, that is what school is for, right?
Because every kid is not going to learn at the same pace, every kid is not going to learn the same way. Everyone is different, thats why we have public schools, private schools, and homeschools.
I personally find it easier to learn when you are given complete control over how you learn. I like to learn on my own, at home, you get closer with your family, and learn to trust yourself more.
So overall, I would choose homeschooling over public schooling if I had the choice, for the freedom you have in learning.
Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 01:27
Hi, I'm a homeschool mom. Does that count? I've homeschooled my kids for 13 years and my oldest just graduated and is doing well in college.
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 07:44
Of course that counts, Jemima! I love to hear what homeschool parents have to say....

I agree with you, ~One_of_the_Dunedain~! Homeschooling is the freedom to pursue the "schoolwork" that interests you.
Fladrif
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 04:01
I'm homeschooled I have been since thrird grade.I love it but I'm going to go to private school this year.My mom wants me to highschool at a regular school.The school looks okay but on wensdays you have to were plaid skirts and button down shirts and the rest the time khaki pants and a poloshirt or sweatshirt.I am excited about learning spanish however.sorry I'm rambling.Fladrif
LOTRfan12
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 08:17
My sister is going to be a senior this year, and she's been homeschooled since day one. My younger sister and I are also homeschooled, and I love it.
We lived in Arkansas for the first ten or so years of my life. There was only one school that my parents would send me to, if I had gone to public school, but they chose to homeschool instead. Once we were coming home after visiting my granny in Mississippi. We heard on the radio about a school shooting that had happened at the school in my hometown. If I hadn't been homeschooled, I would have been there. Homeschooling just might have saved my life. I know, I'm being overdramatic, but I don't really care.
Anyways, yeah, I'm a homeschooler, and I LOVE it.
Love,
LOTRFAN12
Valaöré
Servant of the Valar
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 11:16
I was homeschooled from fourth grade through the entirety of my high school career. My family was part of a fairly good-sized support group, so we had things like a small choir and other such things. I was on a local club swim team, and I participated in community theater events. For my junior and senior years, I participated in a concurrent enrollment program at a local four-year college and had received 25 hours of fully-transferrable college credit by the time I graduated. I was practically a sophomore my first year at university.

I'm very thankful that I was homeschooled. I had opportunities to go back to public school, but I never took them because I was happy with being homeschooled. My parents were able to teach me the things that I needed to know from a perspective that they supported. I was taught things such as evolution and other hot topics as they truly are, and learned how to support my views as a conservative Christian at an earlier age than many of my peers.

Now that I'm starting my third year of collegiate studies, I can see how much I benefitted from my parents' decision to homeschool. I was taught to think, to really reason out issues, rather than quote a party line. I also learned the value of doing my own homework and actually learning the material. Time-management was also something that I learned.

My boyfriend was also homeschooled for the majority of his primary and secondary education. His parents started schooling him in the second grade. We both share a desire to homeschool our children (be they ours or ours by different people, should we not get married) in the same manner as we were taught. Yes, it was definitely a positive experience, for the both of us.
DimpleToadfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 11:26
That's great to see how many of you avoided the dreaded classroom. Trying to make kids conform to that kind of regimented behaviour is a crime.

Kids are more and more diverse these days than ever, and no way is one school going to fit the needs of a group of a thousand kids. Much smaller teaching groups with emphasis on creative and musical stuff is what's needed for kids these days.

When (if) I have a kid I'll home school.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 05:30
Almarie, I hate to admit it, but I'm a lot like you are. Fortunately, swim team and church have given me the chance to "open up" a bit. And going to a small, private high school has helped, too.

LOTRfan12, something similar happened, but it wasn't to me. There was this big thing on the news about this drug overdose at a sleepover of some junior high school girls. One of my friends, who used to be homeschooled, but will be going to the same high school as I am next year would have gone to that school if his parents hadn't decided to homeschool him. It's kinda unnerving, really. If and when I have kids, I will most likely homeschool them.
LOTR_Freak_4ever
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 05:18
Hey i'm a homeschooler! its soo great to see how many other people are too! i've been homeschooled for my whole life, never gone to a public school. i went to a middle school dance once, but let me tell you! their language was TERRIBLE...and some of the music wasn't the best as well. and there were some sluttie people there...and everyone was at least below the age of 14! now, i'm not trying to put down public school (cuz i guess this school that i went to was not the best anywayz) cuz some pub. schools are good, but i'm still glad i'm homeschooled. i dont have peer pressure as bad. and, even though im homeschooled, i stil have aLOT of friends (from church and other activities) yea, i've been kinda sheltered, but i still know whats goin on in the outside world! we all have problems of our own i guess... but anyways though ive been homeschooled since i was 3, i MIGHT be going to a private Christian school this year...only bcuz we now have a 10 month old baby who gets into EVERYTHING, :heart: and having 5 kids at home at once might drive my mom crazy! lol. but i like homeschooling. im thankful that im not as exposed to the all the junk thats in the public schools today. Being homescooled has strengthened my walk with God definetley. thats another plus. well i'm almost done ...just one more thing i think that us homeschoolers should get our own little corner here at CoE ok...so maybe i'm asking too much lol. see ya all around:heart:

':.~Kat~.:'

*John 3:16*

I love you all

jayhawkerbas
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2004 06:12
I was homeschooled from 2nd grade until I graduated highschool... I'll be a sophomore in college this fall. Very cool to see all these homeschoolers here.
TheRealEowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 03:47
Homeschoolers are cool. i've been homescooled all my life now i'm going to high school in my home!oh well i like it!

Jesus is my lifesaver!
Mina~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 11:25
It is so cool to see how many of us have homeschooled. I was homeschooled from 9th grade on. I graduated a year early. I preferred homeschooling over public school. I agree that homeschooling is freedom to study the subjects you are interested in. If I had stayed in public school, I would've had the choice to take either college prep classes, agriculture classes or business classes. I never would have been able to learn Japanese or get to study computer sciences so in depth as I did. I'm preparing to start college next week and I will be taking most of my classes over the internet, so I'm kind of still homeschooling!
~LadyofMirkwood~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 04:05
Wow! I had no idea there were so many home schoolers out there!!! I am also home schooled but I use a different material. Instead of my Mum teaching me, we use BJ homesat. What it is is a satellite and so I am in fact watching live teachers, with live students and it's all on my own couch!!I really have enjoyed homeschooling for I have been doing it since 2nd grade.
MirkwoodElfCiarrai
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 02:50
I have been a homeschooled all my life!
I've only been to public school for only 1 day!
Its so cool to see so many Homeschoolers!:love:

[Edited on 4/10/2004 by MirkwoodElfCiarrai]
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2004 09:45
Is anyone going to a public/private school who used to be homeschooled? I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem that I have. I have a really insanely hard time concentrating in a classroom situation, especially if there are more than about seven or eight people in the classroom. I was just wondering if anyone was the same way that I am.
Vingilot~sailor
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 10:25
I'm homeshooled. I have been my whole life, except for preshool! I love :love: being homeschooled :love: My mom puts up with a lot. I am the oldest of 7 kids so she has a lot of stress, but somehow she has manedged to never put at least some of us in public school.
faramirsmyman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2004 10:14
I graduated last year and I've never set foot in a school. We worked through a school though, Christian Liberty Acadamy, so I got report cards just like everyone else.

Do non-homeschoolers ever treat ya'll like you're kind of, well, sheltered from "the real world"? I got that alot at my old church. Fortunately, we found one where most of the people there homeschool, so my nephew has lots of friends. (He lives with us, Mom is homeschooling him too).

It can just be hard sometimes to try and make people understand that just because I never went to public school doesn't mean I don't know how the world works *rolls eyes* Some people are silly

oh i totally agree. and that's so cool! i'm going through cla too! it's really nice that i actually get to graduate. but going back to the comment about being sheltered? yea. totally. even my friends that go to christian schools treat me like i don't know anything. of course, they still don't get that the reason why i'm homeschooled is cuz i got sick of the way my christian school wasn't really all that christian, and i didn't want to be a hypocrite. gr. at times i can get really annoyed at the way and why people think they're better than others because of circumstances. ah well, all are human.
Melin~i~Aran
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 03:17
I'm homeschooled Coolio-I didn't know there were so many homeschoolers on this site!
DameMercure
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 02:03
Do non-homeschoolers ever treat ya'll like you're kind of, well, sheltered from "the real world"? I got that alot at my old church. Fortunately, we found one where most of the people there homeschool, so my nephew has lots of friends. (He lives with us, Mom is homeschooling him too).

I get that alot from people who just find out I homeschool. Of course, since I'm me, OBVIOUSLY I don't go right out and tell them I'm not sheltered from the world. Usually I let them find out in a loud yet suttle way. :angel: But then, sometimes they're really stupid so you kinda have to tell them right out.
I find, and no offense to anyone who fits in this category, that homeschoolers seem to be more educated than kids that go to a public school. Is that just me? Or are the teenagers at the local... and not so local highschools just THAT dumd?
But oh well, you know, I think I like them the way they are. Its fun making them feel even more stupid. Lol!:evil: :cheers: :naughty: :wave:

Oh, and I've been homeschooled since fourth grade, by the by. I like it.

[Edited on 4/5/2005 by DameMercure]
Darth_Pippin1
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 04:48
I'm homeschooled right now...and I'll be going to a Christian school next year

I know what you mean when you say that regular schooled people treat us like we're too shelterd. I actually know a few friends that are too shelterd, but not all homeschooled kids are. But once you get to know people, they accept you as a regular person.
DameMercure
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 07:30
I actually know a few friends that are too shelterd, but not all homeschooled kids are. But once you get to know people, they accept you as a regular person.

Very true. I have a friend who goes to a private school and, oh my gosh, you'd never BELIEVE how sheltered she is. But I really shuoldn't be saying that cause it might come back to haunt me. Heh. :banghead: Bad Mercure! Bad! :banghead: Anyhoo, must be off now!

[Edited on 4/5/2005 by DameMercure]
tiniwel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 02:24
I've been homeschooled all my life. It can get old sometimes, especially when we live in the middle of nowhere and there's no kids i can chill with. But we're in a homeschool group that has like 80 families in it and we get together on fridays and stuff.

Sarah
maple_leaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 03:42
Hey y'all homeschooled people! I was homeschooled all my school time, but now I'm at uni. And I LOVE It! Uni, that is. I really didn't get on well doing homeschooling. The actual schoolwork was fine, but my social life sucked and I would get very lonely and sometimes a bit depressed. If you are a christian homeschooler, just make sure you still mix with the rest of the world and don't just develop your own little christian exclusive circle.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 04:39
I homeschool! I went to private school until 4th grade, but I wasn't learning as much because of all the social stress. Now I get involved with public school sports and extra-curricular activities, and that's been really nice. I'm also a part of several homeschool groups where I get to make a lot of nice friends. Although I sometimes think going to school would be better, I usually agree with myself that there are a lot more benefits to homeschooling.
smeagolsverybestfriend
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 07:32
Do non-homeschoolers ever treat ya'll like you're kind of, well, sheltered from "the real world"?

I hate how people ask me "are you ever going to go to "real school"?"!I am doing "real school"!I've been homeschooled forever.And I hate how people think I'm amish or something!

[Edited on 10/4/2005 by smeagolsverybestfriend]
MissyGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 01:35
I have been homeschooled my entire life and I LOVE it!!!! People always say that when you homeschool,you don't get enough "Social Interaction".Well,I go to Art class and Public Speaking Club,and Middle School Academy all the time.I have tons of friends,and I'm having the time of my life at this point in time. :disco: My parents don't shelter my sisters or me,but they want to protect me as it were from things that I shouldn't be involved with,and I bet almost all of you know what those things are.But they never make me do anything that I don't want to do,and I love being able to do things that other kids don't,like I get to go shopping during school hours,and I can listen to music while I do work.Its so much fun!!! :cheers:
smeagolsverybestfriend
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 10:23
Do you ever notice that homeschooled kids have friends all different ages?Instead of all the same age.I have a best friend that's 8 years older than me!
sweetlittleelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 01:06
I have been homeschooled my whole life, and I love it! I did go to the first half of grade seven, But I hated it!
faramirsmyman
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 01:11
Do you ever notice that homeschooled kids have friends all different ages?Instead of all the same age.I have a best friend that's 8 years older than me!

I know exactly what you mean!!! I have friends that are married with children, and I'm only 16. I think it's because we really do mature a little faster. Oh, and I used to go to a private school, and I hated it because they waste so much time. I mean, I get so much more accomplished in a day because I don't have to listen to teachers lecture.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email